Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Sophos Mobile OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos Mobile is #12 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. PeerSpot users give Sophos Mobile an average rating of 6.0 out of 10. Sophos Mobile is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune: Sophos Mobile vs Microsoft Intune. Sophos Mobile is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 46% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Sophos Mobile?

Sophos Mobile is a Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) and security solution that helps businesses spend less time and effort to manage and secure traditional and mobile endpoints. The only UEM solution that integrates natively with a leading next-gen endpoint security platform, Sophos Mobile supports management of Windows 10, macOS, iOS, and Android devices.

Sophos Mobile was previously known as Mobile Control.

Sophos Mobile Customers

VIST Bank

Sophos Mobile Video

Sophos Mobile Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos Mobile pricing:
  • "Apple is starting to do beta testing with their own solutions and for much cheaper than Sophos Mobile's price."
  • "The licensing fees are paid based on a one-year or two-year subscription."
  • "The licensing is paid on a yearly basis."
  • "Sophos Mobile is inexpensive."
  • Sophos Mobile Reviews

Eugene Allen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior System Engineer at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
    Complicated setup, poor tech support but some solid features
    • "In terms of valuable features, we liked the lock feature, the roll-out white feature, and the find feature. I think that Sophos had a GPS locator, so you could figure out where the phone was from a GPS location."
    • "In terms of what could be improved, the initial configuration and setup of the environment could probably be made a little bit easier. There are so many pieces that go into it. Intune is absolutely insane and Sophos is better, but it still is a bit complex to get it all set up correctly."

What is our primary use case?

We were attempting to safeguard corporate data as it leaves our walls. We already have encrypted laptop hard drives, so we were trying to extend that to cell phones for One Drive, Outlook, and One Note. All that is corporate data. And if you lose your cell phone or somebody steals it or you dump it in the toilet or any number of things that could happen to your cell phone, we want to be able to block access, delete the corporate data, do all those things that good security people are supposed to do.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the initial configuration and setup of the environment could probably be made a little bit easier. There are so many pieces that go into it. Intune is absolutely insane and Sophos is better, but it still is a bit complex to get it all set up correctly because you need to have certain certificates for Apple in order for you to connect to their device. And then you've got to have policies for this and rules for that and it is very complicated. We eventually get there, but their wizards just keep asking you questions, "Well, I don't know what that is." It's like, "Why do I need that?" Or "Where does that come from?" It's just so much.

I would like to have seen them, like several other packages I've seen, give you a set of basic rules and policies that most people use, so that in 10 minutes I could have the environment set up and have basic protection.

For most of the mobile device management, you pop the box and you've got to figure out what your policy is going to be, what your rules are going to be, and what software are you going to use. Are you going to do the full phone or a container? You've got to go figure out all these things because nobody tells you anything. My experience is that even after reading manuals and trying to figure out what pieces of data go where, or checking the support website, then you go look at the wizard or the interface, and it's different. They described things differently. There's a piece of data that you need that's required that the documentation doesn't say that is supposed to go in there. And it just drives me insane when the documentation doesn't exactly match what I'm looking at on the screen.

We have been using Sophos Mobile for the last 12 months.

Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, VMware and others in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I called their technical support on occasion, but calling tech support is like pulling teeth or having a root canal. It's painful because you have to go through level one and you explain in excruciating detail exactly what your problem is. And then they write it all down and they give you a support case number. And then they have to pass it on to level two. Who knows what their technical acumen is, because level one can't fix the problem. Then they have to pass it on to level two. And it's not, "Hold the phone a minute and I'll go get this person for you." It's hang up and they'll call you when they get to you.

It's absolutely terrible. Like I said, I've been in the business for a long time so I do not call tech support until I'm really, really stuck or it's really, really broken. And it's offensive to me to have to go through a level one and answer juvenile questions of stuff I've already done and not even be able to speak to a level two or an actual engineer about fixing my problem. I could get it fixed in five minutes if they just let me have a phone call.

The initial implementation was done by me and I'll tell you why. It's money. Budgets are extremely tight right now, especially with this COVID stuff that's been going on. I don't have the luxury of a budget to spend a thousand dollars on a consultant to come in and do stuff that I have the technical capability to do. So if I spend money on a license, I've got to be able to handle the configuration. Plain and simple.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Sophos Mobile a four.

They need to make it easier.

I've been in this industry for 30 years, so I'm not stupid by any manner of means. But like most IT personnel, I've got more on my plate than I can shake a stick at. I don't have time to spend the three or four days to read volumes of support articles and figure out configurations and then mess with the GUI and screw it up and have to figure out how to fix it and how to push out rules that I really need. I don't have time to do all that. So the easier they can make an out of the box solution, the better. I suppose I could delegate it to somebody, but they are busier than I am. So it's the same situation.

Other
    BjarneMattila - PeerSpot reviewer
    BjarneMattilaUser at EnergiMidt Fiberbredband

Sophos do have GPS locator and integration with Google Maps. In the General setup under [Mobile], [Setup], [General] and [Privacy], you can switch Global locations for Smart Phones on and off as a global parameter.

Director of Platform and Information Security at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    Poor Apple comparability, missing features, but scalable
    • "One of the most valuable features of Sophos Mobile is the Wifi password."
    • "To manage the Apple devices is not that straightforward there are a lot of features the other third parties solutions are offering which Sophos Mobile is not."

What is our primary use case?

Sophos Mobile is used for managing devices for policy control, such as WiFi policies. The solution can be deployed on the console in the cloud or the agents on the endpoints.

How has it helped my organization?

The usage of Sophos Mobile is minimal in our organization. It is mostly for compliance reasons. We have to show auditors we are managing endpoint devices for security. Having the policies enforced on the endpoints is what they need to see, this is how the solution has benefited us.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of Sophos Mobile is the Wifi password.

What needs improvement?

Sophos Mobile is missing a lot of features that their competitors offer. This solution is outdated. Our main platform is on the MacBooks, and the integration with the Apple MacBook platform is not well designed. They haven't made any major redesign of this solution in approximately two to three years ago. This solution is offering exactly the same for too long. They are far behind the industry's latest technology.

To manage the Apple devices is not that straightforward there are a lot of features the other third parties solutions are offering which Sophos Mobile is not.

I have been using Sophos Mobile for approximately two years.

The stability of Sophos Mobile is good.

I have not had any problems with the scalability of Sophos Mobile.

We have approximately 50 people using this solution.

The support that we have received from Sophos Mobile was good.

I have previously used one of Sophos Mobile's competitors.

Sophos Mobile's initial setup is more complicated than other competitors or Apple's own solution.

We did the implementation of the solution in-house.

Apple is starting to do beta testing with their own solutions and for much cheaper than Sophos Mobile's price.

There are more expensive solutions on the market which have a lot more features and seem to be very good. They are in a comparable price range. When I looked at another solution it was a very similar solution with the same issue with outdated interface and features. It doesn't seem to have enough benefits to justify switching the vendor. Additionally, the antivirus from Sophos is very good good, and I've decided there's not enough reason for me to cut out the Sophos Mobile because I have the same console for everything. I can manage all the solutions within the Sophos console. There's not enough reason to justify cutting the Sophos Mobile.

I want to drop Sophos and use the Apple solution, but Apple is currently doing the beta test. There's are some bugs in the Apple solutions in the current version. Apple will eventually resolve all these issues, but currently, I cannot use this Apple solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is Sophos Mobile seems to not integrate well with the Apple platform. If you have a pure Apple platform, I would stay away from Sophos Mobile.  Otherwise, if you don't have a lot of Apple devices, then it most likely will be fine.

I rate Sophos Mobile a five out of ten.

Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM)
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Terry Cheung - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at TopSOC
    Easy to set up and provides good mobile device management capabilities
    • "The most valuable feature is the mobile device management capability. You can easily manage all of your mobile devices."
    • "They continue to work on integration with mobile device management and mobile security. They are improving the protection but I think that the capabilities still need to be enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

We are a security solution provider and Sophos Mobile is included in the larger Sophos EDP collection. This is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

This solution is used for both mobile device management and mobile experience management.

What is most valuable?

With respect to the security that it provides, so far it has been so good.

On Android devices, the protection and security are quite good.

What needs improvement?

We have been dealing with Sophos Mobile for one year.

Being on the cloud, this is a scalable product.

The technical support is good. We expect them to be able to help us resolve issues and it has gone well so far.

The client is installed on a mobile device and then it is centrally managed on the cloud. The installation is straightforward and takes three hours to complete.

We have two admins to manage this solution.

The licensing fees are paid based on a one-year or two-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. I don't have any specific recommendations for them to improve upon it.

Amir Kasem - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical manager at Andalusia Hai Aljamea Hospital
    Reseller
    Stable, scalable and easy to use, but the security could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for mobile device management.

We use it to control and secure devices. If laptops or our mobile is stolen, and these devices contain company data, we can track them and wipe our data to ensure that it is not in the wrong hands.

What is most valuable?

Sophos Mobile is a really good product.

It is easy to use.

They always add more features to this product.

What needs improvement?

The security could be improved. It could be more secure.

I have been dealing with Sophos Mobile for two or three years.

Sophos Mobile is a stable product.

It's a scalable product.

Technical support is good.

It is a cloud-based solution but we can install it. It's similar to an engine, we can install it on a mobile device.

It can be installed for a maximum of two hours.

The price is in the medium range. It is not very high, but it's not low.

It could always be lower.

The licensing is paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Sophos Mobile a seven out of ten.

Nhut Vu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Presales Project Manager at FPT
    Inexpensive, reliable, but features could improve

What is most valuable?

The security features work well.

What needs improvement?

The features of Sophos Mobile could improve. The way the system works together could be better. Additionally, the integration with other Sophos products could improve.

I have used Sophos Mobile within the last 12 months.

The solution is stable.

The solution has been scalable for the small companies that have been using it. I do not have customers in large companies to comment further on the scalability. It is best suited for SMB.

I have not had a problem with the support.

The setup is complex.

Sophos Mobile is inexpensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos Mobile a seven out of ten.

Download our free Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, VMware, and more!
    Updated: September 2022