SAP S/4HANA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP S/4HANA is the #1 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give SAP S/4HANA an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. SAP S/4HANA is most commonly compared to SAP Business One: SAP S/4HANA vs SAP Business One. SAP S/4HANA is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
SAP S/4HANA Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP S/4HANA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAP S/4HANA?

SAP S4HANA is an ERP (enterprise resource planning) system that uses sophisticated technologies including machine learning and AI. It is most commonly used to integrate and manage business functions and is an ideal solution for large enterprises. The platform includes supplier relationship management (SRM), customer relationship management (CRM), supply chain management (SCM), and product lifecycle management (PLM) functionality.

SAP S4HANA offers three different deployment options:

• High throughput
  • Fast analytics and reporting
  • Smaller total data footprint
  • SAP HANA multi-tenancy
  • All data: social, text, geo, graph, processing
  • New SAP Fiori UX for any device (mobile, desktop, tablet)
  • Unlimited workload capacity
  • High-volume transaction processing (OLTP)
  • High volume real-time analytical processes (OLAP)
  • Service Management
  • Digital Boardroom Integration

SAP S4HANA Benefits

Some of the benefits of using SAP S4HANA include:

• Speed: S4 HANA applications leverage speed, context, and data accessibility to ensure you can stay up to date with rapidly evolving technology.
  • Improved performance: With SAP S4HANA, you can plan, execute, or generate reports and analytics based on live data to increase performance.
  • Simplicity: SAP S4HANA’s whole infrastructure was designed with simplification in mind — from the management of the solution to the administration of the IT landscape. The solution serves as the digital core for business process simplification and enables the centralizing of hardware and network resources.
  • Cost effective: SAP S4HANA is a cost effective solution. It provides the ability to bring together all the analytical and transactional capabilities of a variety of systems in one location, enabling better decision making.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by SAP S4HANA users.

A Mechanical Engineer at a construction company says, “It is a very powerful, highly customizable tool. The most valuable feature is that the reporting is fast. We can see the results from that in that our commissions come in fast. That is the main advantage.”

Another reviewer, a SAP Technology Manager at a financial services firm, mentions, "It is more or less a very, very smooth and seamless product. Day by day they are increasing their technology features and they are keen to resolve the issues. India has a complex business scenario and SAP is thinking about that and resolving the issues day by day. In terms of the features I have found most valuable, I don't think that there is any lack or any gap process-wise. SAP is a very good tool."

A Project and Service delivery Manager at a tech services company comments, "One of the most valuable features, which we used the most, was the FI module, for finance. It involved controlling, account receivables, account payables, and complete financial steering."

A Senior Architect at a construction company states, “The POD applications are very useful to us. There are a few POD apps which we are using for different business scenarios. They are quite interesting.” He also adds, “The initial setup is pretty straightforward. The documentation is very good. The solution can scale well. The solution is stable.”

SAP S/4HANA was previously known as SAP S4HANA.

SAP S/4HANA Customers

Nestle, O.C. Tanner, Sabre, New York Life Insurance Co., MEMEBOX, Siemens AG.

SAP S/4HANA Video

Archived SAP S/4HANA Reviews (more than two years old)

Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Feature-rich and offers different deployment options, but the customization should be improved
  • "The key modules that I find most valuable are material management (MM), financial accounting and controlling (FICO), and human resources (HR)."
  • "The two things that need to be improved are price and customization."

What is our primary use case?

We are a pre-sales team and I have been working as a consultant for SAP S4HANA.

Most often, we deal with manufacturing CPG customers. We prefer the complete SAP S4HANA Suite, with all of the functionalities, and the use cases are typically everything that is offered from the processes in that suite.

What is most valuable?

The key modules that I find most valuable are material management (MM), financial accounting and controlling (FICO), and human resources (HR). I am not exposed to all of the core features, but these are the ones that we generally prefer and propose.

What needs improvement?

The two things that need to be improved are price and customization. These are two dynamic changes that every customer will want.

I have been working with SAP S4HANA for the past year and a half.

SAP S/4HANA
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP S/4HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Our customers for this solution are mixed in size. We have small-scale, medium-scale, and large-scale customers. The number of users also varies. It can be hundreds or multiple thousands.

I do not have experience with SAP technical support.

We have enough competency in our company that the initial setup is straightforward and we don't face many issues. There may be some complexity but it depends on the configuration.

The deployment model is a mixture of offerings and this choice is based on customer requirements. Sometimes it is a cloud deployment, whereas others are on-premises, and yet in some cases, it is a hybrid model.

We have an in-house team for deployment.

The price of this product is an issue for some customers.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this product for all SAP customers who want to digitize and have a core business suite of applications.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Senior Manager at Mazars India
Good support and analytics capabilities, and it is definitely scalable
  • "From a technology standpoint, the theory and analytics are fascinating."
  • "Every year, when a new version is released, it comes with a very thick booklet of 300 or 400 pages and it is a little difficult to comprehend."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and SAP S4HANA is one of the products that I work with.

What is most valuable?

From a technology standpoint, the theory and analytics are fascinating.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the delivery of features, I would like it presented in a more user-friendly way. Every year, when a new version is released, it comes with a very thick booklet of 300 or 400 pages and it is a little difficult to comprehend. This is something that should be simplified. A simple comparison between the older and newer version would be very helpful for customers and consultants.

The default UI has been the same for a long time and in my last few projects, I've found that it wasn't fast enough.

I have been working with this product since version 1511 in 2015, about five years ago.

I am comfortable with its stability.

This product is definitely scalable.

I would say that it is for medium-sized companies. For smaller companies, the scale of the project might be too large, so they may not be able to harness the complete power of S4HANA.

The support from SAP is excellent. It is very good, compared to other products.

The SAP Marketplace is a good source of support.

I have hands-on experience with a few other products that are on the market.

Compared to older versions, prior to S4HANA, it is very easy to deploy. Starting from a development environment, I say it would take about three to four months to deploy for a mid-sized customer.

What other advice do I have?

For ERP, I do not recommend anything other than SAP 4/HANA. For other applications such as CRM and planning, I may recommend a different product.

I think that the newest version is great and I think the idea should be to quickly push it to cloud completely.

SAP S/4HANA
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Lead / Solution Architecture / Software Development - SAP at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy-to-use, but could benefit from some theory-based adjustments
  • "The processes have been reduced from almost 10 steps to four or five steps. It's really been simplified."
  • "The theory-side of the solution needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our manufacturing processes, sales, finance, pretty much everything.

What is most valuable?

They recently restructured the database and changed the table structures, which has made it much easier to manage the processes. The processes have been reduced from almost 10 steps to four or five steps. It's really been simplified.

What needs improvement?

The theory-side of the solution needs to be improved. They need to come up with a simple way to explain to their customers how to properly use it and perform analysis and move on from there.

In the next release, I would like to see more integration scenarios with the cloud, straight out of the box.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

The stability is good. We noticed some areas, such as health and safety that were not very stable, but the other areas are quite stable and work fine.

The technical support helped us on almost every front.

It depends on what kind of agreement you have with SAP. We have a maximum attention agreement, so it's all good. For a maximum attention agreement, there are some extra charges, but I'm not aware of how much.

The simplicity of the initial setup varies from customer to customer. For us, it was quite complicated because we needed a lot of customization, but in the end, it was ok.

We had a detailed implementation plan that we followed step by step.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

Technical Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Offers good performance, has a user-friendly interface and is great for finance
  • "The performance of the solution is excellent."
  • "The cost of the solution is quite high. It needs to be adjusted."

What is most valuable?

Most of our customer base is particularly interested in the finance area. This aspect of the solution is great.

The most interesting features from the solution include the look and feel of the user interface. It's very user friendly and easy to navigate.

The performance of the solution is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't lacking any features per se. Clients aren't coming to us and saying "we need this or that."

The cost of the solution is quite high. It needs to be adjusted.

The integration could be better. They have many different kinds of house platforms, and then it becomes complicated to have integration within all of these different systems.

I've been using the solution for five years at this point. It's been a while.

We provide technical support to our clients when they need our assistance.

We have implementation projects that help the customers start from zero all the way up to the latest version that they can use on their own. If they need existing or ongoing help with SAP, we will provide some kind of support model. We support them in case they have any problems or in case they have some version they need to upgrade.

As we are implementing the solution for our clients, the process is pretty straightforward.

Our company typically sets up the product. We implement the solution for our clients on their behalf.

The pricing of the solution is quite high.

What other advice do I have?

We are not the end customer. We are the implementation providers. We have customers and implement the solution for them and offer support to them while they are using SAP, which is an enterprise solution.

We will support any version from the previous version and also upgrade to the newest version, as per our client's needs. There are all kinds of versions of the solution that we support. We mainly work with the S/4, the core ERP solution, so the core S/4, and also the ECC, the previous version.

A company needs to be aware that it's much more helpful to be knowledgeable in the product before beginning an implementation. If a customer doesn't have experience with SAP, the implementation may be difficult. However, if they have some experience, it is a bit easier to set up everything. A company must also ensure they have in-depth business knowledge when doing a discussion in the booking.

Overall, we've been quite satisfied with the product. I'd rate it nine out of ten. If the solution offered better implementation capabilities and pricing, I'd give it full marks.

Head of PMO at a tech company with 1-10 employees
Robust but is still not 100% stable or scalable
  • "In terms of its most valuable feature, I would say the finance module."
  • "The common issues being raised right now by the end users are mostly related to the usability."

What is our primary use case?

We are using using almost all of SAP S4HANA's modules, from production and planning to finance and controlling.

What is most valuable?

In terms of its most valuable feature, I would say the finance module. This is the base. Right now we're working towards the other modules as well, for lineup opportunity operations.

What needs improvement?

The common issues being raised right now by the end-users are mostly related to the usability. Especially on the Fiori interface. I think they're a manufacturing company and they're implementing lean manufacturing. They are actually counting the number of clicks and screens that are being used by their end-users so they can have a more efficient and intuitive approach on the Fiori apps.

In terms of what features should be included in the next release, there would be too many to mention. I would probably say right now, as part of the planning session, they're going to go through the entire gamut of features where they can improve and where we're lacking in some parts. We're planning to implement a trial for support and warehouse management. But it's a big list right now and I can't think of anything specific.

In terms of what could be improved, I would say the usability aspect of it for the users. Additionally, from the corporate perspective, some of the more stringent integrations across modules and also allowing integrations from third-party applications.

I have been using SAP S4HANA for three years.

I would not say it is a 100% stable. There still are some large issues here and there. But I guess over the course of using it for the last three years, and with some of the changes that have been put in place by our IT team, I would say it is around 70% stable.

In terms of scalability, I wouldn't count it as easy. I would probably say it's medium complex.

We currently have around 100, 150 people using it.

In terms of support, there still are some places here and there for them to improve. But their support is mostly stable right now.

The initial setup was very complex.

During the initial setup we made use of an SI, solution integrator vendor, for the implementation. It was a combination of the SI and some internal resources.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate SAP S4HANA a seven.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Mechanical Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Complicated and robust, this suite delivers a total solution with rigorous and exhaustive planning
  • "It is a very powerful, highly customizable tool."
  • "It requires a lot of planning to implement the product correctly."

What is our primary use case?

Our company analyzes material inventory and then processes the financial accounting which is handled by the system we created using the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the reporting is fast. We can see the results from that in that our commissions come in fast. That is the main advantage.

What needs improvement?

This is an integrated system so it is very complex. It is not like Windows or like Microsoft products where you can use Word or you use Excel and it is familiar and easy to use. The interface is something that is very confusing from my point of view. It can and should be simplified. It needs some work on the front end to be more user-friendly and customizable to the user's needs.

It is not a very good product from the perspective of ease-of-use. Trying to implement it is like you want to prepare some food. You have raw materials like spices in a pile but there is no recipe as to how to mix them. It is a recipe missing the proportion to mix the spices in.

In the case of S/4HANA, that recipe depends on how the organization requires it to operate. A better result depends upon the implementation partner's decisions in handling the wide range of choices offered by the product. If these decisions are not good, once the product is already developed, you may come to know after years of using it that it was not implemented optimally. Then you end up making customizations and work-arounds because of this initial implementation. That is bad practice. Customization and work-arounds will only lead to more complexity. It is a very big product that can not be understood in a short span of time and implemented quickly. Meticulous planning is ultimately important.

A lot depends on the implementation partner and if they understand your needs. An implementation partner who rushes in too quickly with a solution can get it wrong and that can cause major problems in the long run.

We started the implementation of S/4HANA in 2017.

Any glitches and problems would all depend very strongly on the implementation, predominately. Our integration is very near perfect, but it needs a highly skilled team taking lots of time to understand and maintain it properly. Because implementation is less customized it is better than in most other industries. When it comes to our own industry and our own investment in our industry with our own company stressors, it has to be customized properly.

One person will not be able to understand and manage all the processes of the modules. That is not practically possible to have that type of skill set. The product needs to be managed by a well-integrated team that can work together and separately with their own responsibility for maintenance and execution.

Ultimately one person will need to have an in-depth knowledge of how the parts work together to orchestrate the result. All this has to come together at the time of designing. All of the team will be working with some lack of knowledge about the whole of the system or the in-depth knowledge of some other team member's roles. The integration of the team is as important as the integration of the product.

The scalability of S/4HANA is as good as it can be. The reason that we moved from our old ERP was a lack of scalability. That is exactly the reason. We moved to S/4HANA because we knew the scalability was good.

We use it company-wide on a daily basis and across multiple websites now. If we need to it is possible to scale up from there in whatever way we need to.

Our specialized support team does sometimes work with SAP support. The support is good but it may depend on what you can provide. Sometimes we can trace volumes ourselves and we can get the solutions from that. It can often minimize the time it takes to get a solution. Using SAP to provide the solution takes more time. But sometimes we need them to keep moving ahead.

We were having trouble with our other ERP solution which is a product that has not been very successful outside of Arab countries. That learning experience is why we are in a good position to implement S/4HANA as a better solution.

The installation setup requires specific knowledge of the system and how it works. I am not from the technical side myself but I know a lot of configuration is required. It is more-or-less complex depending on the scope of how the product will be modeled for use.

For the installation, we appointed a separate SAP IT partner. Along with that, our entire company was involved with implementing this project.

It definitely requires maintenance from SAP support as well as our own specialized teams.

This is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to people considering S/4HANA as an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) is to invest in it if they can afford it and need it. But, I strongly recommend that the implementation should be considered very carefully. SAP software is a very capable solution but it is only worth it if you approach it knowing that you will be spending three, four, or five years just to be able to understand it fully. It is not just an investment in capital, it is an investment in learning and time.

It is definitely a good product. It is costly and needs a quality team for maintaining and integrating the product.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would have a hard time making a rating of SAP S/4HANA that is useful for every user. If someone already has some expertise in ERP expertise, it is different than if they have none. The solution itself can be a ten for one aspect of its function and it can be a three or four in other aspects depending on what the user needs and understands. Cost-wise it can be anything from one to ten depending on the value it provides to the organization investing in it.

Personally, from the functionality point, I think it is one of the best products. The integration is good and the SAP team helps with their continuous support to help users reap the fruit of their investment in the software system. We took the time to have the knowledge of business and how the product could work for us to make adopting this product a success. In our case, I think the solution is around a seven-and-a-half out of ten.

Vice President, Corporate IT at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Necessitated us tailoring our processes which has increased efficiency
  • "Responsive, comprehensive and optimized solution."
  • "Lacking in some customizations."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the food business so the solution helps with our business processes as well as the financial aspect - sales, purchasing, manufacturing - all the core business processes across all these modules. I'm the vice president corporate IT and we are customers of SAP.

How has it helped my organization?

I think primarily it helped us work out our out-of-the-box best practices which was a huge benefit. It meant that we tailored our processes in line with those of the standard out- of-the-box solution. And I think overall it has given us much more visibility on our processes, on the data that is produced as a reservable process.

What is most valuable?

I think technically it's a very responsive, comprehensive and optimized solution. It's very fast and the S4 version is much more user friendly on the UI side than the previous versions and it basically provides a better experience. Everything is there and it's up to the user to put it to use.

What needs improvement?

Every business has some unique requirements which can mean customizations are required. What I'd really like to see is the development of an industry specific solution for the food industry, in particular the supply and demand side that's very critical to us, given that there are issues with products that have a shorter shelf life.

I've been using this solution for two years.

What other advice do I have?

My key advice would be to get down your processes first before putting any new system in place. It's important to re-engineer the processes and streamline them before implementing IT solutions, whether it's SAP or any other thing. It's the process side that needs to be dealt with first.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Associate IT Consultant at itcinfotech
MSP
Easy integration with other tools

What is our primary use case?

S/4HANA BASIS administration and technical architect solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

We have implemented for one of the customers and gone live recently, and its greenfield implementation. The customer was very happy as the implementation time took less than 6-8 months.

What is most valuable?

Easy integration with other tools.

What needs improvement?

• S/4HANA 1610: We found very less Fiori apps — a few apps not working.
  • All module Fiori apps need to be tuned.

it_user852423 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Coordinator at Exzatech Solutions Ltd
User
Manages the business in a faster and smarter way
  • "This tool helps us to manage business in a faster and smarter way."
  • "Planned Order List needs a change of screen."
  • "MRP repost area should be improved. The production information report also needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

SAP S/4 HANA has cloud facilities. Also, it has Fiori apps. This tool helps us to manage business in a faster and smarter way.

How has it helped my organization?

The new functionality helps people. Employees have become more efficient and skilled. It manages the business in a faster way than before we had the solution installed.

What is most valuable?

Business partner functionality helps us to manage vendors and customers from a single screen. Another one is product costing. Product CO-PA implementation is easier than before.

What needs improvement?

Planned Order List needs a change of screen.

Less than one year.

Yes, we encountered stability issues.

No scalability issues.

No previous solution was used.

Two years.

The cost is $5000.

Download our free SAP S/4HANA Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022