Ruckus Wireless OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ruckus Wireless is the #4 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Ruckus Wireless an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Ruckus Wireless is most commonly compared to Aruba Wireless: Ruckus Wireless vs Aruba Wireless. Ruckus Wireless is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.
Ruckus Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Ruckus Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Ruckus Wireless?

Ruckus Wireless is part of Ruckus Networks/Commscope and provides reliable wireless network solutions and services to large venues, schools, hotels, hospitals, malls, and public spaces (and more) worldwide.

Wireless access is an integral necessary part of today’s modern, fast-paced lifestyle. It is essential that dependable, safe wireless capabilities be available in most of today’s largely populated public spaces. Ruckus Wireless is the trusted industry leader in assisting organizations of all sizes to provide wireless access throughout their locations, both inside their physical structures and adjacent open outdoor areas.

Ruckus Wireless empowers users to design and create a wireless network across their organizational space to ensure that wireless coverage is available consistently to anyone who needs it. Ruckus can handle anything from homes and small to medium-sized businesses to hospitals, college campuses, airports, malls, stadiums and more. Ruckus also has excellent options for outdoor wireless networks. Many users choose Ruckus Wireless for broad extensive outdoor use. The solution offers excellent durable outdoor access points and a very robust, super fast, reliable Wi-Fi. Each and every access point is very powerful, and the outdoor access points can be very easily disguised to keep the network secure.

Another strong point is that Ruckus technology is based on frequencies. If there is ever any type of wireless interference, Ruckus Wireless can change frequency automatically so there are never any interruptions. Users also have the option to block outside access points and signals that may interfere with their network and make their network the only one that people can see within the network. Users can additionally whitelist certain networks if desired.

Ruckus uses the latest next-gen Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi 6, ensuring that more devices can be handled with greater speed and continuity. With Ruckus, users have great control over network traffic. They can also allocate the amount of bandwidth network users are granted based on their status - eg., guest, corporate, etc. - and give users priority on the network based on their status. Ruckus also has mesh and beamforming capabilities, which are recognized as a valued feature for many users.

Ruckus Wireless is robust, extremely reliable, very easy to deploy, and offers amazing coverage and rock solid connectivity. It is very easy to add additional access points across the network. Ruckus Wireless is very easy to use and manage using an app on any mobile device.

Reviews from Real Users

A Director Engineering & New Business at a comms service provider says Ruckus “provides superior coverage and is very dependable”

Sintayehu A., Director Of Information Communication Technology at Dire Dawa University, relates that "Ruckus Wireless supports the most recent technologies. We can trace every individual and what kind of traffic they're using on our campus. It is very helpful."

Philip S., Independent Consultant - Wireless, says, "The solution is very stable. I've worked with it at a hospital before, where we deployed it all over the hospital. It worked everywhere and continuously worked flawlessly."

Ruckus Wireless Customers

American University of Sharjah, Baruch College, Centro Escolar Liceo Santo Tomšs, Chevalier College, Chico Unified School District, Colegio de Fomento El Prado, Columbia Public Schools, Delta School District, Dordt College, Douglas County School District, Drew University, Armonea, Central Utah Clinic, Grove Hill Medical Center, Inner South Community Health Service, Midwest Surgical, Satilla Regional Medical Center, Lyndoch Living, Polonus, Roaring Fork School District, Sonora State, Vivid, Sydney, Players Club, Sandals, Scandic Hotels, Sheraton LAX, Sunbird

Ruckus Wireless Video

Archived Ruckus Wireless Reviews (more than two years old)

PhilipSlaughter - PeerSpot reviewer
Independent Consultant - Wireless
Very fast with good technical support and very good scalability
  • "The solution is very stable. I've worked with it at a hospital before, where we deployed it all over the hospital. It worked everywhere and continuously worked flawlessly."
  • "What would be interesting to see is if they had more of an ability for their customers to capture revenue. They should offer some sort of gateway functionality that you could tie through radius authentication, so you can bill the customers. That way, when you go in, you could just have a device and set up a hotspot, and it's a totally billable tool at that point."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for pretty much everything worked-related and for e-commerce and studying.

How has it helped my organization?

It basically allows you to go everywhere in your office or at your house or even outside your house and be connected. If you wanted to go do a Zoom right by the pool, you can go Zoom by the pool. Or in your office. Basically, I live in a house that's got a lot of trees around it and I've got some outdoor APS. I can pretty much conduct business from wherever I want without having to worry about a lost signal or drop-off.

What is most valuable?

I use the Wave 2 platform. It'll get up to close to approximately 800 megabits or something to that extent. It outruns whatever internet connection you have.

The wireless is just very fast, and it has a frequency set that can work around local interference that houses have even if some of their cheaper routers are broadcasting on a given channel. We can tune our wireless network and open up a lot of channels with DFS and stuff like that.

It's a pretty solid product. Once, at the hospital I worked with, they had a model and they went from a 300 to a 310. The 300 had a certain power output range, and everything was designed perfectly. Then, as it turned out, 310 didn't cover as much. We had to replace it with the next model up which is the 610 to maintain the coverage we expected. They were good about it and didn't charge us for the change.

What needs improvement?

I really don't need anything faster right now. However, if I would like to get a faster speed eventually. I have a gigabit at my townhome. I'd like to be able to get an APX to add a whole gig on.

Ruckus Wireless
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years. I pretty much use it all the time.

Sometimes they have their own glitches when there's a release of new software, like any company. However, once you get them stabilized, they're really good systems.

The solution is very easy to scale. That's, what's nice about it. In our office, we only had to have one AP to cover the whole thing. Their whole business strategy is, for every five APs you might install another grid or eight to double. We do it for three, due to the fact that they have such great independent technology.

I have about 20 users at home and maybe ten users in the office.

I just got an internet connection in my house at a 400 megabits download speed. If I max it out on it and I think I did, on my laptop, I'm going to move to the next evolution of the product. I plan to increase usage in the future and I plan on deploying it in the future on other projects I'll be working on.

While technical support is very good, I'd advise that you need to make sure that whatever you do, you have a good backup.

Technical support, in general, is not too hard to get to, however, depending on the difficulty of the problem, you need to get advanced level support. If you need them, you just have to ask them for it, beyond talking to the first guy you get on the phone.

I've used a variety of different solutions in the past. I've been using Ruckus for quite a bit of time now. However, before that, it would be just a router that I bought. For example, a Linksys or Ubiquiti, or something like that.

The initial setup is not straightforward per se. You really have to know what you're doing. At my house, I use a commercial-grade solution. I loaded this special software onto the product (that they have on their website) to make it like a standalone product with their own small standalone network. I have basically programmed everything myself. You have to really be pretty smart at it, to be honest with you. It's not just something somebody can just pick up. However, I've worked with it for ten years, so I know the equipment inside and out.

In terms of deployment, for what I had to do, at the locations I'm speaking of, it was very simple. The only thing is that the house is that I have a porch on the second floor overlooking the pool, and then it looks into this wooded area behind my house. It's got a pretty good set up. I have an AP sitting on a tree out there and I'm running power to it. It's like filling in that whole area, mesh unit, wireless swings, so I can get power to it from the pool. It's just awesome to have wifi everywhere.

I handled the deployment myself. I also handle the maintenance, if any is needed, on my own. It's not too hard as I have a good background in the technology.

For me, licensing is zero. You don't really need to have any licensing for what I own. The only thing is, unless there's some software update that you need, you don't have the support. If you're stable and it runs, you don't need to do anything. However, if you need those software updates they'll make you pay.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. I was a partner of Ruckus at another company, however, right now, I am just a customer.

I've got the solution installed in my office and directly connected to an AP. Then, at home, I've got a mesh network. I basically meshed three of these solutions together.

They do a lot of stadiums and outdoor areas and works very well.

I'd advise others considering the solution that, when you're implementing your wireless products or area of coverage, make sure you test it. Also, make sure that you have the proper signaling to the outer edge where you want coverage. That's what I would say, no matter what product you bring in. Just test its capabilities to make sure it does what you need it to do.

Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Stephen Moreau - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at Dataway
Reseller
Easy to manage and deploy and covers many use cases
  • "The product is extremely easy to manage after it is implemented."
  • "The solution isn't the cheapest option. However, you are getting a quality product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, our clients' use cases are quite broad but mainly focussed on SMB with multiple locations. A main office and satellite branches. This is where the cloud controller comes into its own.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to deploy.

The product is extremely easy to manage after it is implemented.

Ruckus is very innovative as a company and they currently drive improvements to the WiFi standards themselves. Their range of products is broad. It covers all the requirements I have, which aren't as broad as the whole market. We don't do many outdoor installations, for example, however, they cover outdoor as well as point to point and they seem to work well.

What needs improvement?

Whilst vendors are always working to improve the features of their products and make them more attractive than the competition, I cannot identify any core features which are missing. Of course, today the product offers all kinds of features, many more than our specific requirements demand.

The solution isn't the cheapest option on the market. However, you are getting a quality product. Cheap is not always best. Cheap can come back and bite you.

We have sold Ruckus wireless for the past ten years at this point. It's been quite a while, way before they went public. They have been bought and sold a couple of times in recent years but the quality remains. They have fantastic people and the product is exemplary.

When the new cloud controller came out it was functional but lacked some of the finesse of other solutions. That did not matter as much as it was an excellent product from an AP perspective. The refinements in the interface have come and Ruckus continue to innovate. I prefer a good AP over a fancy interface any day.

The solution is very easy to scale. Once you have the cloud configured and set up, you can post a single access point to remote location. Plug it in and off you go or you can pre-provision hundreds of them in advance for a mass deployment.

If there is an issue, the support is very responsive. Very helpful, never failed me in ten years.

We have used other solutions in the past. Occasionally, we do installations for clients that go against our advice and then often we have issues, however, with Ruckus, this is never the case. Never, in all the years.

The initial setup isn't complex. It's pretty straightforward.

Obviously, you have to mount access points and in the right locations. You've got to screw holes in the wall and stick it to the wall or ceiling or whatever. Once the physical installation is done and it's connected to the network/internet, which, again, is part of any kind of hardware deployments. It takes about 20 minutes to deploy a new access point from scratch.

Obviously, there's a cost factor. It's not the lowest cost solution, however, from an engineering standpoint, which is what we're more interested in, you have to ask does it work? Does it work well? The answer is yes and yes.

We continually monitor the competition. In enterprise WiFi there are about 4 or 5 contenders from my point of view. In the past Ruckus did not have a cloud management solution and that was an issue. Now it's not an issue.

What other advice do I have?

We are an authorised reseller of the product.

The reason that we sell Ruckus Wireless is that, in my opinion, it's the best-engineered hardware solution. Ruckus are innovative and define many standards in wireless technology, they apply those standards to their products and their products work very well.

We stripped away all the marketing blurb that various companies do when they're jockeying for position. The proof is in the deployment, how happy the clients are, how easy it is to deploy, and how easy it is to manage afterwards.

This solution has one of the easiest deployments. Obviously, whether I recommend it or not depends on my clients' requirements, however, I would wholeheartedly recommend Ruckus over other solutions. Having had firsthand experience of Ruckus, as well as other solutions, we do prefer it.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten... I don't do ten!

Private Cloud
Ruckus Wireless
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Product Management at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Good RFS characteristics, reliable, and the technical support is good
  • "The reason we picked Ruckus, in addition to our long-standing relationship with them, is pretty much that the RFS characteristics of it seem to be the best."
  • "The price is an area that requires improvement. The pricing could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are internet service providers.

We use Ruckus in our business hotspot deployment. We sell to a customer who might have a coffee shop for example, and we would install one of the Ruckus access points so that they could deploy Wi-Fi to their patrons.

What is most valuable?

The reason we picked Ruckus, in addition to our long-standing relationship with them, is pretty much that the RFS characteristics of it seem to be the best. That's what we find useful.

Also, we like the more remote deployment aspects of things as well.

What needs improvement?

The price is an area that requires improvement. The pricing could be better.

In the next release, I would like to understand more where presence analytics is going and IoT support. Is it going to be multi-way for IoT support?

I would like to see IoT presence analytics.

Our company has been using Ruckus Wireless for five years.

This is a stable product.

Ruckus Wireless is a scalable solution.

We have deployed 350 indoor access point solutions, and 650 outdoors.

We have 5,000 people in our company, but we are not the ones who are using this product. We sell 50 to 100 per month. We are incorporating it into our solution and selling it.

Technical support is good. They are supportive.

We don't call them often, and we don't really call them for technical support, we call them for integration support.

It's a different organization, we deal more with the enterprise support group.

The initial setup was complex although it wasn't a problem with Ruckus, it was our problem.

We're not using any of the Ruckus cloud features.

We're completely integrated into our own kind of a management portal and our own management system, so the issues are on our side, not theirs.

We outsourced installation, but we design and support solutions ourselves.

We don't pay any licensing fees, we purchase them.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ruckus Wireless to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

Anders Wall - PeerSpot reviewer
CIO at Vätterleden Invest AB
Easy to manage, with a portal that makes it easy to find access points and clients
  • "The most valuable feature is the portal."
  • "It would be helpful to have a wizard when you are setting up a new access point or a wireless guest network."

What is our primary use case?

This product provides wireless access in our warehouse and the Office and for Guest.

How has it helped my organization?

Now ther is no one complaining that have no access ore lost access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the portal. It's easy to find access points and clients.

This product is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful  if  the wizard when you are setting up a new access point or a wireless guest network. Could have more sugestion on default. There are too many checkboxes to get it to work.

There should be some ? you could klick on to get a short explanation what it means.

I have been working with Ruckus Wireless for approximately six months. In the past two years ago we alos hade a Ruchkus on prem.

It's very stable. We have not had any issues at all.

It's scalable. We have not had any problems. It's easy to add more users.

We have approximately 90 users in our warehouse.

We have not had the need to contact technical support. The solution has been working.

Previously, we were working with Cisco. It was more complex to manage the Cisco Network and the setup was more complicated. This was the main reason that we switched.

We decided to go with Ruckus Wireless because it was easier to use and more user-friendly and the price was better.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. It was quite easy to set it up and get it working.

We use a vendor. It was straight forwrad. It was working dicect when we connected our AP.

The price is reasonable. It's better priced than Cisco.

Cisco Meraki and Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version and it upgrades automatically.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Store Associate at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use and manage with pretty good scalability
  • "They have all the features in terms of wireless technology. They have most of the features already there in the controller and their wireless system."
  • "The pricing needs to be more competitive. They need to re-examine their business model and see if there is a way to provide their service at a cheaper cost."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, customers look for wireless connectivity for their users and guests systems as well. Most of the customer feel comfortable with Ruckus due to the fact that they have SMS based authentication features and an OPB based authentication within the hardware.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and manage.

The solution is quite flexible, which is a great selling point for our clients.

They are competitive if you compare their capabilities with Cisco and other competitors.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for at least four or five years at this point. It's been a while.

In terms of the hardware, the stability could improve a bit. However, in terms of configuration and reconfiguration, it is quite stable.

The solution can easily scale and expand. If a company needs to make it larger, they can do so quite easily.

We're pretty technical, so we can assist our clients. However, when we or others need to reach out to technical support, it's remote via telephone. We're pretty satisfied with their service. I'd rate them nine out of ten overall. It's pretty good.

We use different products. Occasionally, a client may want to use Cisco. I'm not, however, too familiar with Aruba. Whatever we use depends on customer requirements and not our personal preference. I find Cisco to be a bit costlier. That said, it has lots of features on offer.

The difficulty or ease of set up depends largely on a client's environment and infrastructure.

It takes, at maximum, one day to deploy. You can get it up and running pretty quickly. If the network is there, I can configure any IP from anywhere.

Their pricing is quite high. It can be higher than Cisco. It all depends on the features a client needs.

What other advice do I have?

We're Ruckus partners.

We use a variety of different versions of the solution. We also can deploy the solution both on the cloud or on-premises, depending on what our clients require.

I personally deal more on the side of project management, although I do occasionally also do technical evaluations.

This solution works best for SMBs. Most of our clients are medium-sized organizations, typically in the university and education sector. We also handle some big nightclubs.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine. We definitely haven't had any issues with it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Prices are one of the selection criteria as of now, Prices should be match with other competitors
Bill Sheeler - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Of Technical Operations at GT Church
Provides good roaming capabilities and the option to have redundant backup controllers
  • "Its roaming capabilities and the fact that we can have redundant backup controllers are the most valuable. There is a backup controller that is heart beated to the primary. It is also fairly easy to install."
  • "Its interface could be a little bit more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a big church, so we have to cover a 100,000 square foot building plus another 3,000 square foot building. We have Ruckus Wireless in two locations. We are on Zone Director 1200.

Our other office is running over a VPN, so it keeps connected to the Zone Director via VPN for any information that is needed, but it still works. The nice part is that they work on the internet connection that is local to the office that they are in. They work independently. Nothing comes through the controller. They just use the controller to authenticate and know what is going on with the unit.

What is most valuable?

Its roaming capabilities and the fact that we can have redundant backup controllers are the most valuable. There is a backup controller that is heart beated to the primary. It is also fairly easy to install.

What needs improvement?

Its interface could be a little bit more user friendly.

I have been using Ruckus Wireless for six or seven years.

Its stability has been acceptable.

I have contacted them. So far, so good. There are no major issues with them. They have been pretty responsive.

We used SonicPoint, which is with SonicWall. The only reason for switching was that it wasn't their main thing. They were more of a firewall, and they had it as a secondary thing. We needed something that was much more robust with more capabilities per access point. We have 250 or more people on an access point.

The initial setup was easy.

We paid for a three-year contract last year. I am not sure about what we paid. It is certainly less expensive than Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise looking at the cloud version. If we had not renewed our licensing for the standalone, we would probably look at going with the cloud solution because it is easy to support.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

Kibue Gacuca - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Comutaz Systems Limited
Extremely reliable, stable and scalable
  • "Very reliable."
  • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this soluton is for AP. I'm the CEO of the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its reliability.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the solution become a little more user friendly. For additional features to the product, it would be helpful if they would introduce a self-healing mechanism and configuration.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

Ruckus is completely stable.

Scalability for Ruckus is excellent.

The technical support is fine. Our main issue is the difficulty with the different time zone so there's sometimes a delay in response.

In addition to Ruckus we are also using Cisco Wireless LAN. It's not that one is better than the other, each has a different focus. For Cisco it's teaching and for Ruckus it's AP.

It's difficult to be satisfied with licensing costs. We are an African company and we always get a raw deal. We don't get the discounts that we'd like.

What other advice do I have?

I would take Ruckus over Meraki any day. Meraki is quite poor.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
D6B8 - PeerSpot reviewer
District Technology at INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 196
User
Ruckus is a big dog in a dog-eat-dog world, if given the chance; will take a bite out of their competition
  • "Valuable features include Bonjour Gateway and the hardware antenna array."
  • "Sometimes doing mass changes on their products can be challenging."

What is our primary use case?

Ruckus has been deployed in our most demanding site, which has roughly 3400 associated clients per day. We are also leveraging Cloudpath to provide the WISPr guest portal with MAC authentication.

It should be noted that this site was previously serviced by another vendor. Due to the demands of wireless and the inability for the other vendor's deployment to meet our needs, we switched to Ruckus. It's been rock-solid since the implementation.

More recently we have moved our initial deployment to our elementary buildings. We have Ruckus implemented in about 25 sites currently.

How has it helped my organization?

The Ruckus solution was brought in to meet the higher than normal demands that we placed on our wireless network. After the minimal effort to get the system up and running, we've seen most if not all of our major wireless headaches disappear.

With the Cloudpath integration, our guest experience has been greatly improved. Our guests are now able to be self-sufficient in registering on our guest wireless network with a more streamlined and simple approach. The software was very easy to deploy and set up, which was a huge improvement over our previous solution.

Their Bonjour Gateway setup is also built into the product and has been helpful in bridging services from our wired network to our wireless network.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of management - the system is very easy to manage and learn.
  • Cloudpath - this allows us to deploy captive portals that are advanced in nature to meet every need we can dream up.
  • Hardware antenna array - this is the secret sauce to why Ruckus is above their competition. They built the antenna array from the ground up, allowing them to achieve higher rates for clients and a more solid connection.
  • Bonjour gateway - built in Bonjour gateway to allow sharing services from one or two different VLANs.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes doing mass changes on their products can be challenging. Ruckus should spend more time developing methods to give enterprises more control over making needed changes quickly and easily. Their documentation also needs to be improved.

About four years.

In the past year, we've seen issues on their platform in regards to slow speeds if you use firmware later than December 2018. They are working through it, but it does give pause for concern. Their recommended vSZ is actually older, so we are pushing the limits with our versioning.

No, their solutions are built with scalability in mind.

Customer service is by far one of the best outcomes of this product, I've been getting significantly better customer service than our previous vendor (Aruba).

We've had to engage both Ruckus and Cloudpath on a few things that have come up and the level of resolve they have shown is outstanding.

The previous solution was Aruba, but after many issues with the performance of their solution, we were forced to make a needed change.

• Clients would be kicked off randomly
  • Slow wireless network
  • APs would randomly reboot
  • Complicated management

We attempted to leverage our existing ClearPass solution, but ran into issues with the integration in regards to MAC authentication. We ended up going with the Ruckus Cloudpath solution, which has been a blessing in disguise due to it being much easier to deploy.

We implemented this solution with in-house resources, as well as Ruckus itself, and a vendor. The Ruckus level of expertise was far greater than the vendor.

We haven't calculated it, but with this implementation it would be in the thousands (for just one building). Less wiring was needed (fewer AP locations), less hardware was needed, and less licensing was needed.

Ruckus was much cheaper than their enterprise competition (Aruba, Cisco, etc.). We've found that Ruckus can handle the client density load with greater success than Aruba, so leveraging Ruckus has allowed us to lower our purchasing needs since we would need to procure fewer APs. Cloudpath would be an added cost if you wanted to deploy that solution.

We did not evaluate other options as our previous experience using Ruckus was positive.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is absolutely amazing! What they tout is very accurate and will work with your network/IT teams to develop a proven and well-catered solution to meet your every need.

I would highly recommend this product in high-density environments such as schools, universities, and hospitality settings. With the ease of setup, lower cost, and record of success, this is a slam dunk for schools that need to stretch their resources further.

D6B8 - PeerSpot reviewer
D6B8District Technology at INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 196
User

Such an easy way to manage a wireless network. We use Bonjour Gateway with Apple TVs, seems to work well.

Kent Rustad - PeerSpot reviewer
President at AIC Partners
Reseller
Reliable, has exceptional coverage, and it is straightforward to set up
  • "The most valuable feature is the coverage, which is exceptional."
  • "I would like to see newer on-premises controller-type models, similar to the 3000."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Ruckus reseller and this wireless product is one that we provide for our customers.

My customers are all in industrial environments, so I have worked with a lot of different controller-based models. I primarily handle warehouse management and manufacturing, so these are installed in big warehouses, the oil sector, solar-powered Wi-Fi, and other businesses.

Many of the wireless devices are by vendors like Honeywell and Zebra. They are handheld units and the network packet size is small.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the coverage, which is exceptional.

What needs improvement?

I feel that the vendor needs to have better control of who is selling the product online, especially when the reseller doesn't know anything about the product. It is frustrating when customers tell me that they have found it on Amazon for a cheaper price.

I would like to see newer on-premises controller-type models, similar to the 3000.

We have been working with Ruckus Wireless for about nine years, since 2011. I have about 24 years of experience with wireless solutions in general.

I haven't had any issues with maintenance, long-term. They have never had any trouble holding up in the environment that they're in.

The scalability of Ruckus is excellent. I have some very, very large customers.

I have experience working with Cisco, Aruba, and other types of Wi-Fi that my customers have installed.

For somebody who knows what they're doing, the initial setup is very straightforward.

Sometimes, people take an easy approach to implementing the system, but it is not as efficient as it could be. Generally, I find that you can put it in the easy way or the right way, and you need to have a little more skill than just plugging it in to get it working efficiently.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is not to become obsessed with bandwidth or throughput. It is more important to look at coverage and roaming capabilities than simply the bandwidth. I find that when it comes to schools, people who are implementing wireless usually overdo it.

For me, this is the best wireless product on the market. Every customer where I have put it in to replace an existing system loves it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Managing Member at PJSSYSTEMS, LLC
Reliable, easy to set up, and the quality of technical support is good
  • "The most valuable feature for me is reliability."
  • "Having support available that is more compatible with time zones in the United States would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I am an independent contractor and I work to set up and maintain wireless network systems. Ruckus Wireless is one of the solutions that I rely on.

I am working with a small school that has a Ruckus wireless system in place to provide service for mobile devices. In that site, we have the main controller and six or seven access points.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is reliability. It works.

What needs improvement?

I have had trouble with signal strength and coverage in the school setting, which is in part due to the construction. I have an access point in the hallway and in every classroom.

I have been using Ruckus wireless for about five years.

I haven't had any issues with the stability of the signal. It either makes the connection or it doesn't.

It is sometimes difficult to reach technical support when you need it. For example, recently I was able to get through to somebody rather quickly when I had to repair a wireless system that had gone down. At other times, it will be five or six hours before somebody returns my call. This can be a problem when I am already at a client site because I can't sit there and charge the client while I was for Ruckus to call me back. However, I have also had the same experience with Cisco.

Quality-wise, the person that I recently dealt with in regards to an RMA was outstanding.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Getting improved coverage is often just a matter of moving the devices around.

The school is at a point where they either have to expand their Ruckus system or instead replace it entirely with one from Cisco. However, given the money that they've got invested in Ruckess equipment, I don't know that replacing it is a prudent choice.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, I think that Ruckus is a good product. I'm a fan and I recommend them.

Nimesha Balasuriya - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer - Network Security Operations at SLT Visioncom Pvt Ltd
Offers better coverage and has good scalability
  • "The most valuable feature is that Ruckus offers better coverage."
  • "Previously, we would need to purchase appliances every time but it caused our data centers to get filled. Ruckus now has cloud-based controllers. They resolved the issue we were having."

What is our primary use case?

My company sells wifi access points to enterprise customers. Customers need to manage the wifi controller separately. We are managing their Wifi router on their behalf. We provide internet connectivity through the router, the Wireless LAN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that Ruckus offers better coverage.

What needs improvement?

Previously, we would need to purchase appliances every time but it caused our data centers to get filled. Ruckus now has cloud-based controllers. They resolved the issue we were having.

We've been using Ruckus for around five years now.

We don't have any problems with scalability. We purchased 400 access points. We had 1,800 to 2,000 APs attached to it.

We are in the process of procuring a new controller. Ruckus is fine for our solution.

Technical support is good. They resolved 100% of the issues we come to them with. We are satisfied with them.

We have to extend the access points and the controllers which was not a big issue to implement in this project. But when implementing the access points, the problem was when installing a new access point in a new location. Because we have to send a person to that place. And we have to put to the configuration on that access point and then needed to work with the controller. In the new Ruckus platform, we already accommodate using some kind of barcode reader, so that problem was resolved.

Ruckus pricing is good compared to its competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Ruckus a nine out of ten. I would recommend it.

Most customers are not using the wireless LAN as an extension of the wired LAN. So what they are looking for is some value-added service. They want wireless access with some kind of portal that can issue vouchers, like a value-added platform.

Analyst Programmer at Mauritius Telecom
Very easy for us to manage with high quality connection
  • "Good connection quality."
  • "Captive portal for guest access on the controller could be enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an analyst programmer and we're partners with Ruckus.

What is most valuable?

The quality of the connection is the best feature, we always use wireless connections like Ruckus. It's also a very easy solution to manage.

What needs improvement?

The captive portal for guest access on the controller is an additional detail that could be enhanced.

Currently the captive portal allows only choice of logo.

additional enhancement include : Different color schemes, customized html pages, pior login & post login pages, CP designs, Social media login, advertising, survey pages  , captive portal Configurator etc..

As such we get all in a box solution, no need for third party captive portal solution.

This solution is very stable.

This solution is definitely scalable.

My experience with technical support has been very good.

The pricing is reasonable but it's a tough market and there's a lot of competition.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good coverage and durability, helpful training, and good support
  • "The most valuable features are the coverage and durability."
  • "I would like to see better mapping capability because it can be really difficult, especially if you are deploying on a remote island."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Ruckus Wireless is one of the products that we implement to assist our customers with providing Wi-Fi services.

Our customers are primarily in the hospitality industry, such as resorts. This solution allows them to provide Wi-Fi services to their staff and guests.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the coverage and durability.

The best thing about Ruckus is support.

The training is very helpful and very good.

The user interface for the controller is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The failure spots need to be improved, as sometimes I have trouble reaching them.

We have been working with Ruckus for more than six years, and with the wireless solution for about four years.

We have had no issues with malfunctions or coverage with the access points. However, every two or three months we have periods with downtime because of internet outages or power outages on remote islands. While this is a break in service, it is not caused by a failure on the part of Ruckus.

Scaling this product is pretty straightforward. On one of the island resorts that we deployed on, they have 120 villas in addition to the staff accommodations. In total, there are more than a thousand people in the resort.

In addition to the resort, we supply wireless coverage to the rest of the island. This brings the total number of users to more than 3,000.

Technical support from Ruckus is very good. We don't have to contact them very often because there are no major issues with the access points. When we last contacted them, they responded and resolved our issue within 12 hours.

I have experience with similar solutions from different vendors, such as Aruba. In particular with Aruba, I have had huge problems with coverage. We have had other difficulties with their solutions, as well. With Ruckus, on the other hand, it is a really robust technology and the coverage it provides is helpful during deployment. In general, it is a much better solution than Aruba.

For me, the initial setup is really straightforward. Some people, however, find it a little bit tough. The controller is a little bit difficult to work with until you have some experience.

Our in-house team handles implementation and deployment for our customers, as well as the maintenance.

For the physical installation, including pulling cables and termination, we use two people. This is more than enough for 300 access points. For the initial setup and configuration, we have another two people, bringing the total size of the deployment team to four people.

As an example, for one resort island, the total deployment took about two months. The installation and configuration can be completed within one night, once all of the hardware is in place.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that it is a good product, with good support, it is easy to set up, and the coverage is good. In a small to medium-sized business, you may not even need training to set up the controller.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Stephen Kirby - PeerSpot reviewer
Founding President at Cambio Broadband, LLC.
Extremely scalable, great mesh technology, and capable of whitelisting networks
  • "The mesh technology is the solution's most valuable aspect. Ruckus originally had the patent for it. They might've lost it because I see now that other people are doing it, however, they were the ones who came out with the smart mesh technology first, which is phenomenal."
  • "They have so many products that there are so many different part numbers for the US and other countries. That means it's easy to make a mistake with the licensing. You have to have somebody knowledgeable on the other end with the licensing. If you make one mistake, it can be a $2,000 mistake."

What is most valuable?

The mesh technology is the solution's most valuable aspect. Ruckus originally had the patent for it. They might've lost it because I see now that other people are doing it, however, they were the ones who came out with the smart mesh technology first, which is phenomenal.

Ruckus is superior when it comes to indoor and some outdoor wireless. I use it for some arenas. The T750 outdoor access point is fantastic. The bridges to get to the access points are great.

Ruckus offers a technology that works with frequencies, which is excellent. That means if there are other access points or other wireless interference in the area, Ruckus has enough frequency band to change frequencies automatically. So they're never being interrupted.

Another excellent feature Ruckus offer is, if you have access points or other items in your organization, in, say New York City, and your network doesn' want interference, they can cancel out other access points around there. Especially in a place like New York city, you're picking up stuff from other buildings. With Ruckus, you could block those access points and those signals to make your network the only one that people can see within that network. To this day, I haven't had this experience on Mist or Aruba. You can also whitelist certain networks. It's an excellent amount of control that's provided to you as a client.

What needs improvement?

The physical device itself is lacking. They're made with plastic and seem a little cheap in construction, especially when compared to other manufacturers and providers.

The company itself has had its time in the sun and may be past peak after so many mergers and acquisitions. They were originally a router and switch company. Then they were bought by one of their distributors. The company is floundering after so many changes to the organization.

The product is great, but the problem is there are other players in the market now. In 2004 when they were founded, they had the market and they were the big name for wireless within an enterprise. The company was also expanding out between buildings and everything. Then all of a sudden, after 2017, you don't really hear their name anymore.

I'd like to see them do some licensed frequency stuff on the 365 gigahertz band, more for service providers, and then on an enterprise level.

I'd like to see them do something with LTE.

I've been using the solution since about 2015 or maybe as early as 2014. It's been about five or six years.

The solution is quite stable, even in large networks. I've sold 50 access points and the client swears by them. They run the largest car dealership in the country. It's very, very reliable.

You can scale the solution as much as you want. There's never a problem with scalability.

Ruckus used to have amazing support. It was impeccable. Before, when something broke, I had to go through these channels to get stuff resolved under warranty. I still sell their products to select customers that are stuck with them because they won't switch off due to the fact that they use the same management server. They can only use Ruckus access points or Ruckus management servers.

The last time I had to deal with them, I had to go through CommHub. I wasn't impressed with it. It may have been when they were going through an acquisition transition. Still, the level of technical support was awful. It's really dropped off. Their staff needs more training.

What they need to do is not have technical support under CommHub, They need to keep Ruckus as a separate division for support.

I have knowledge of many different solutions, including Ubiquiti and Mist. I don't use Ubiquiti. However, Mist that does BLE technology and I don't believe Ruckus can do what they do. BLE technology is superb because you could track people with it using their cell. There's a ton of features available if you look at Mist. I sold probably about $300,000 or $400,000 worth of equipment from between 2005 and 2017. That's about $250,000 worth of equipment. Then, all these other players came into market. Ruckus was expensive, but you didn't need as many access points with Ruckus as you did with other access points because they were that good. With the wireless, more doesn't mean better.

I have an extensive technical background with Ruckus, especially on an enterprise level. I was able to figure the implementation out easily. It was pretty simple. To set it up is easy, however, to work with it is more complex. It takes a while to understand all the features.

Their pricing is expensive. That said, being a partner, their competitive upgrade pricing is phenomenal.

I don't remember the exact pricing. When we bought it, we bought the warranties with them for three years. We got advanced replacement.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the latest version of the solution. We're resellers of Ruckus.

Typically, I would recommend the solution. However, their market share has really dropped off and their marketing is terrible from the logo to the name.

Their partner portal is great because you could register as a partner, and, because I'm a partner, I could register easily and use the backend and frontend for salesforce.com. I can log in and register deals with them.

It looks like CommScope created their own technology with Ruckus technology and an LTE solution. Some sort of small cell. I would advise users to stay away from that because if they were better in the enterprise, they should stick to their wheelhouse and market that instead of going out into the small cell.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Management Board Member and Network Engineer at NewLogics
Simple to install and use, stable, and provides good coverage
  • "This solution is easy to use and you need minimal IT experience to work with it."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see a more detailed spectrum analysis."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Ruckus Wireless is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have clients in the banking sector, hospitality, education, and many others.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is BeamFlex, which enhances the coverage and stability of the signal for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The cloud solution is not mature and needs to be improved.

The pricing of the high-end access points should be lowered to make them more competitive.

We have been using Ruckus Wireless since 2012.

This is a very stable product. When I install it, I do almost zero troubleshooting for a year or more, especially with hospitality. My hospitality customers are really very satisfied because I just install it and forget it.

Once it is set up, it needs minimum maintenance and support.

There are no scalability issues at all.

The technical support team is really helpful and we are satisfied with them. Whenever there is an issue with the hardware, they ship it the following day.

I have never faced any issue with technical support, although if the problem is not critical then it takes some time to respond to it. The manner in which they deal with critical issues is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward and it's not a complex solution at all. It is almost plug-and-play. For the Ruckus Unleashed solution, the deployment depends on the topology but it should take about 15 minutes to complete.

When the system is purchased there are no hidden fees because the license opens all of the features on the controller.

What other advice do I have?

Ruckus Wireless is a good solution and one that I highly recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Fabio Focking - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to deploy better Wi-Fi coverage but lacks cloud-based management

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is in a higher education institution.

How has it helped my organization?

Ruckus has allowed us to deploy better Wi-Fi coverage in the past few years. Our students have had a better user experience.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Wi-Fi coverage that it has offered since early in our project.

What needs improvement?

One complaint that we have is the lack of cloud-based management. Due to the price of a controller, renewing the solution had become expensive.

student at Westcon
Adaptive Antenna Technology Provides Enhanced Wireless Connectivity
  • "The most valuable feature is the signature feature from Ruckus; the feature is called the BeamFlex. BeamFlex adaptive antenna technology takes a more adaptable approach allowing the access point to continually sense and optimize for its environment. The signals can be sent in a particular predetermined direction as desired. The technology allows for electrically manipulated antenna properties creating optimal antenna patterns for each device with which they communicated: the signal is focused, where the user is positioning."
  • "The biggest adjustment improvement will come from a price adjustment because the price is quite high; it feels like premium pricing. I suggest shaving off 10 percent to 20 percent. That would help grow users and increase the number of clients."

What is our primary use case?

I sell this solution to customers so that they can achieve their wired and wireless networking equipment and software tools to meet their needs. We are a networking company that focuses entirely on network solutions, such as switching, switch Layer 2, 3, Wi-Fi allowing access points, cloud and software products to mobile carriers, broadband service providers, and corporate enterprises. I sell to the hospitality industry.

How has it helped my organization?

The BeamFlex Adaptive Antenna Technology feature allows the client user to have a more reliable throughput and connectivity for their daily access point usage. This provides clients with a good continuous signal. There are no throughput issues with their WiFi connectivity. Their WiFi is quite stable now. If a client wants to connect to the internet or set up a LAN over the wireless network, everything runs well for them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the signature feature from Ruckus; the feature is called the BeamFlex. BeamFlex adaptive antenna technology takes a more adaptable approach allowing the access point to continually sense and optimize for its environment. The signals can be sent in a particular predetermined direction as desired. The technology allows for electrically manipulated antenna properties creating optimal antenna patterns for each device with which they communicated: the signal is focused, where the user is positioning.

What needs improvement?

The biggest adjustment improvement will come from a price adjustment because the price is quite high; it feels like premium pricing. I suggest shaving off 10 percent to 20 percent. That would help grow users and increase the number of clients.

I'd also like to see some sort of product costing and billing ability. Because not all of the users have their own producer version. We can take care of this on our end. Once we are able to bill clients for this service I think deployment will potentially go smoother.

Three to five years.

The solution is very stable. I've been quite impressed because the product is really, really good on the CLT among other things. The tool responds very well during deployment and it's adaptability is excellent when it's being used.

I'm quite impressed with the scalability. The solution can be deployed from a single SMB protocol dialect to a large number of users. The functionality is especially impressive when you have thousands of end users that you need to deploy to and the tool can support that level of functionality. It really doesn't matter the size of the enterprise from small, to medium, and large organizations the tool is equipped to handle them all.

Just as an example of the scalability of this product Google here in Indonesia used this solution to provide WiFi in remote locations. Last year the Asian Games were held here and several stadiums used this tool as their access point.

Technical support is also great. They have a portal and you can ask for open tickets. They offer a lot of options there and they also have a service provider here in Indonesia so you can meet the Principal. You are able to ask them directly or you can even direct them to your user. The support is quite good.

Our clients used several brands prior to making the change such as Cisco, HP network, and Dell EMC network as well. They changed to Ruckus because they didn't feel satisfied with the product they were currently using. The majority of the problems stemmed from access point issues; the access point offer through these brands wasn't adaptable and compatible with their needs.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. There is an initial need to arrange a lot of the setup on the user side such as setting up the controller and setting up the access point, but all in all, things are straightforward.

Deployment depends largely on project size. If you are talking about a small office, using ten to twenty access points could take between one to two weeks. We provide the initial setup, then we set up the controller and all the access points. When the unit is in place that's it for us on the client end. The only thing left is to set up the back end; the controller to connect to the user's network.

The work is managed by engineers and technicians.

I've used serval integrators for deploying the solution. I used one of the best integrators here in the nation called GIF. They are the biggest integrator solution partner for hospitality in South East Asia. I can recommend them.

The pricing is quite expensive. If you were to compare the solution, license, and pricing with another brand, I think Ruckus still have the most competitive pricing cost per feature rate among them all. For instance, drawing comparisons with similar products offered through HP or Dell EMC, Ruckus' price reasonable.

The licensing is great; it's more flexible than the other brands as well. For example, we can buy the license for upgrading the controller on an as needed basis. The other brands don't offer this option.

Before settling on Ruckus we evaluated every big tender. One of our main competitors is the HP network, as well as Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

The setup is straightforward. Our company goes to the client's location. We set up the POC for the client. Then we pass the throughput so that our access point can communicate with the provider and in with the POC, we can tell the access point through Ruckus is preferential.

I recommend finding a good system integration partner to assist with the job. If you don't, the strategy for deployment becomes confusing and the result can be disappointing.

I rate this product a strong 9 out of 10! The product is excellent, the support is very good, the hardware is good, and the software powering the hardware is also very good.

Director of Applications Development at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to give our internal employees the ability to access our internal resources while giving our visitors access to a guest version of the network
  • "Once we got it set up and configured we've had little issues and it's been relatively stable. We use it across all seven of our offices and they all have the exact same wifi setup so when I go into any office I can get on the network and access resources."
  • "o make it a ten I would like the ability to replace it if we do have a faulty device. Getting one faster might be helpful. I would like to have autoconfiguration where instead of having to configure a new network, we would be able to push all configuration out a little easier with the interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use Ruckus Wireless to provide wireless access to our employees and our clients in our offices. It works fine.

How has it helped my organization?

The multiple network access has improved my organization. It gives visitors the functionality so they can check their own networks and their VPNs and browse the internet. At the same time, it gives our employees the ability to go unplugged instead of having to be hardwired to access network resources.

What is most valuable?

The ability to have multiple wireless networks with different settings is the most valuable feature. We can give our internal employees the ability to access our internal resources while giving our visitors access to a guest version of the network which only gives them access to the internet but they can't connect to any of our internal resources.

It is very stable, it runs with no problem.

We use it in all of our offices, it scales fine. We have central control of all the offices that they all have the exact same wifi configuration that we can manage centrally.

We switched because we needed something that was a little more empire scale instead of little small hotspots located all around different wireless networks at different offices. Our people are always asking to connect and want to expand the capability of giving guests access to the internet while still protecting the infrastructure.

The first criteria we consider when considering a solution is responsiveness. They should also have good customer service and support team. We consider the stability of the platform and make sure that it's going to work and serve with minimal issues.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. My network guy ]is the one to test it and he did the setup and got it up and running pretty quickly. He switched out our old system with multiple access points all around pretty quickly.

We also looked at Cisco and Aruba but Ruckus pricing was better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a ten I would like the ability to replace it if we do have a faulty device. Getting one faster might be helpful. I would like to have autoconfiguration where instead of having to configure a new network, we would be able to push all configuration out a little easier with the interface.

Monzurul Karim Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
  • "We used to struggle a lot doing the connectivity between the branch offices in port. Ruckus offers the flexibility to pull the connectivity and we can actually manage our workflow and application to this connectivity. It is a wonderful way of doing things fast."
  • "From the user point of view, sometimes we face a little bit of a challenge in terms of the channels selection for Ruckus. When we have installed all of the APs outdoors, those channels are actually empty in different numbers, so sometimes we found this challenging for getting paired between these point to point communications. If there is any way we can get some proprietary channels or some IT this interruption will not be there. That would be really fantastic for more reliable connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

We had to install it to some port areas and in some hospitals. In terms of mobility and reliability, we found these products are very good. Their downtime is really low.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to struggle a lot doing the connectivity between the branch offices in port. Ruckus offers the flexibility to pull the connectivity and we can actually manage our workflow and application to this connectivity. It is a wonderful way of doing things fast.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is the mobility. The transfer of credentials between the wireless APs is absolutely uninterrupted. It is also really reliable in terms of the peer-to-peer connectivity.

Three to five years.

It's stable. There were a few incidents which were actually not related to the hardware or power loss.

One of the reasons we actually moved from Juniper to say Ruckus was to avoid a future stoppage.

We are partners with Fortinet and Juniper so we have gone through their product lines. The reason we chose Ruckus is because from the very beginning we found these companies only worked on wireless.

The initial setup was complex because we were doing it for some restricted areas with some specialized applications. On the other hand, the customer is also quite sensitive in terms of security because that's an essential part.

We found it a little more expensive than the other competitors on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten because of how stable it is, the easy integration, and their maintenance. It was quite stable and we can easily scale up our installation. The integration is quite easy for now, and we already have implemented all the challenging applications and challenging environments.

Stability is something that's very important, then mobility you have to check, nowadays  Ruckus is mostly used for the enterprise-class, it's not a retail product. The climate is very important for wireless where you have quite a number of APs. If you don't have good mobility, you might not be able to enjoy the usefulness of this wireless technology.

Network Services Coordinator at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Adaptive antenna arrays allow for excellent performance in challenging environments

What is our primary use case?

• Wireless platform for user and medical production devices throughout the enterprise
  • Also serves guests wirelessly.

How has it helped my organization?

Better AP capabilities in tough RF environment. We upgraded from a Cisco wireless network and saw a marked improvement. Near flawless VoWiFi using Spectralink phones.

What is most valuable?

Adaptive antenna arrays (and corresponding algorithms) allow for excellent performance in challenging environments.

What needs improvement?

It's always good to have more analytics and reporting right on the controller when possible. However, Ruckus already has pretty good capabilities in that area as well as an excellent big data analytics engine with SmartCell Insight.

Jinse Jose - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales & Project Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The connectivity of the product is amazing.

What is our primary use case?

It is helpful with our performance and keeping the client connected with the axis point. The connectivity of the product is amazing.

What is most valuable?

The connectivity is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I suggest more controlling features on the controller. The menu of the performance must be improved, as well.

There are no issues with stability of the product.

I have not used technical support.

We have prior experience with Aruba Wireless.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a service provider.
Rai Kashif Jahangir - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at SIMPEXBPO
It has one of the smoothest operations, but it is too costly

What is our primary use case?

We use and deploy it to provide internet access to our corporate users, walk-in guests, and sites users.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is extremely useful, but too costly. Most customers revoke the idea of deploying it when they observe the cost per AP license.

What is most valuable?

• The product is very reliable.
  • It has a great response.
  • It has one of the smoothest operations.

What needs improvement?

It is too costly.

Less than one year.

The cost per AP license should be worked on.

Braden Timmermann - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Analytics on ZoneDirectors allow us to quickly identify clients taking too much bandwidth
  • "Dead zones were immediately eliminated when we deployed these WAPs in all of our locations, plus Ruckus’ analytics on the ZoneDirectors allow us to quickly identify clients that are taking too much bandwidth."
  • "We are able to quickly identify Rogue WAPs in our network and move to disconnect them immediately when Ruckus alerts us."
  • "Ruckus WAPs have excellent coverage and their beamforming means that we can cover more area with fewer WAPs."
  • "At times of heavy network congestion, we can restrict the bandwidth available to clients either by SSID or at the client level, which helps cut down on our bandwidth costs."

What is our primary use case?

We have Ruckus ZoneDirectors and WAPs in all of our facilities. We have one ZoneDirector 1200 and three ZoneDirector 3000s spread across our facilities geographically, all running the latest firmware (10.1.1.0 Build 26). The ZoneDirectors are controlling a total of 48 WAPs.

How has it helped my organization?

We also had a plant where the fiber link between switches broke without warning a few months ago. The Ruckus WAPs immediately recognized the network outage and put themselves into bridge mode to bring the network back up over the WiFi link. It was so seamless we didn’t catch the fiber outage for almost 24 hours.

It also enabled us to quickly roll out RADIUS authentication for our internal company network and eliminate shared WPA keys which all of our plants were using previously.

What is most valuable?

Ruckus makes securing your wireless network as easy as a few clicks. For a basic installation, even someone without advanced IT skills could set up this system without assistance.

What needs improvement?

The only complaint I have about Ruckus is the price, but considering other enterprise WiFi products are similarly priced, I feel Ruckus is a superior product I don’t have much to complain about. The latest ZoneDirector firmware addressed all of the tiny issues I hated in older releases.

Three to five years.

We have never had a WAP fail in the four years we’ve been using Ruckus in the enterprise; the reliability is top-notch.

Bill Sheeler - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director Of Technical Operations at GT Church
    Our internal SSID/VLAN has better security due to the use of Zero-IT​

What is our primary use case?

We are a church with an average weekend attendance of 3000. We use our Ruckus Wireless for our people to access the bible during services, as well as provide online access, etc. We use it daily for our staff of more than 50 users, as well as our Rock RMS Church Management System check-in (which we use iPads and some PCs for - most are WiFi).

How has it helped my organization?

There is better security on our internal SSID/VLAN due to the use of Zero-IT.

What is most valuable?

Zero-IT: It is easier to get people connected to the correct SSID without providing a passphrase.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be mobile friendly.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

We have replaced some EOL access points this past year with newer AC capable devices.

it_user842955 - PeerSpot reviewer
    President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Allows us to deploy systems and not deal as much with support, because it just works
      • "I think that Web management, global management, could be improved. Unfortunately, there's not one solution that does everything. There are something like six different solutions, and each of them do something better than the others. Unfortunately, there's not one global solution that does everything."
      • "Mounting options for outdoor access points, I think they could easily improve on that."

What is our primary use case?

Mainly for large, residential home automation systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to deploy systems and not deal as much with support, because it just works.

What is most valuable?

• It's reliable.
      • The company is amazing - the support and service are amazing.
      • It outperforms anything else on the market.
      • It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I think that Web management, global management, could be improved. Unfortunately, there's not one solution that does everything. There are something like six different solutions, and each of them do something better than the others.

Very stable.

Not at all. Scalability is one of the things that they excel at, beyond everybody else.

It depends. It's hard for us to say because we have a very close relationship with them, so we have back-channel access to their top people. In fact, we're the first ever gold service partner, so we basically are the support now. For any systems that we sell, we're the direct support for that product.

I think if you're a new person starting out, you can get close relationships with the local sales engineers, which is great. When I first started, the first time I even looked at the product, a sales engineer met me out in the field, took some demo gear, put it up, showed me everything. Even within that first year, I had an engineer walk three high-rise courthouses for Miami Dade County; walked every single floor with me. I was a new partner and they did that for me, which is amazing.

I think the phone support is okay, if you're just a regular partner. And it works. I would say if somebody got to know their local rep, that would be the best way to get help if you really need it in a bind.

We used to use Cisco's enterprise wireless, but I kept hearing about Ruckus and I just couldn't believe that some upstart company was better than Cisco. Once we started using it, we saw that it outperformed Cisco and, on top of that, the difference in configuration between Cisco and Ruckus is night and day. Cisco is a pain to configure, where Ruckus is pretty much already set up out of the box. There are a few tweaks here or there, but the configuration time is 10 times faster with Ruckus versus Cisco.

An engineer met me out in the field, put some gear up, and it just blew the Cisco away. And it was just so much easier to configure, that it was a no-brainer. It was cheaper. We had better coverage, it was more reliable, it was faster, and it was easier to configure. It's one of the best companies I've ever dealt with in my life. I have nothing but good things to say about them, which is the only reason I'm doing this review, because I think they deserve it.

It's very straightforward.

It's definitely a good value. It's more expensive than some of the other offerings out there, but when you compare it to other enterprise-class gear, it's very well priced. And the beauty of it is, because it has better range because of their patented BeamFlex - which is the way they can send and receive and listen to signals - you can actually use fewer access points. That means that it's a cheaper overall project.

Aruba, Meraki - and this was Meraki before Cisco, at the time. But since then we always look to see what else is out there, see if something's better, and so far we haven't found anything. Once something better comes along, we'll use it because we only want to use the best for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

Don't wait, do it now.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Gold service partner.
      Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Central admin provides quick views, from number of clients online to signal/noise readings
      • "The list of options you have is great: throttling guest networks, the controller dashboards for administration, on-the-fly configuring, settings, hours of use."
      • "The most valuable is the central administration. Provides quick views of activity, from the number of clients online to signal and noise readings."
      • "The cloud controller needs work. My big issue is that all APs can't set static IPs. Also, adding customers to your dashboard is not that easy at all. I wish I could pop out some reporting from the dashboards as well."

What is our primary use case?

SMB is what we have been using Ruckus for. We have a few clients with multiple buildings and/or larger campuses that this works great with. We have deployed the outdoor APs as well and they are solid devices, especially in our hot summers in Texas.

How has it helped my organization?

It really is almost a set-it-and-forget-it solution. Our helpdesk guys can easily administrate it if needed, and troubleshoot with minimal training. Along with our documenting and naming schemes for APs and locations of devices, finding and correcting issues is easy, but rare.

What is most valuable?

The list of options you have is great:

• throttling guest networks
      • the controller dashboards for administration
      • on-the-fly configuring, settings, hours of use, etc.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

The Unleashed is a 10 out of 10. It's a great price point to push with our smaller clients and still provides top-notch coverage and features. I am not a big fan of the hosted cloud controller, 5 for that.

Justin Jahn - PeerSpot reviewer
      Information Technology Manager
      Virtual SmartZone appliance provides better performance at longer ranges
      • "Our IT staff can quickly issue guest passes for vendors and the instructions are very straightforward, requiring very little effort to get connected."
      • "Provides us with the features we need: walled garden, client isolation, 802.1x with dynamic VLAN, guest passes, etc."
      • "While the Virtual SmartZone appliance has improved in the last few years, it isn’t without issue and the performance of the Web page leaves something to be desired."
      • "Ruckus seems to have removed the built-in help from the appliance, urging the user to log on to the support web site to obtain it. This is simply a nuisance if one wishes to look up what a particular field on the configuration page does, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Credit Union with over 100 employees. We utilize the Ruckus Virtual SmartZone appliance and about 25 R600 access points to provide a secure wireless solution across five branch locations. The Ruckus solution is used as a guest network for third-party vendors while onsite, as well as by staff members to access corporate data.

How has it helped my organization?

With a quality enterprise wireless solution, our employees are more mobile than ever. They experience significantly better performance at longer ranges with the R500 access points, compared with our previous wireless solution. Information Technology staff can quickly issue guest passes for vendors and the instructions are very straightforward, requiring very little effort to get connected.

What is most valuable?

Our staff maintain a wide gamut of products and we needed a wireless solution that works reliably and has all of the features we needed (walled garden, client isolation, 802.1x with dynamic VLAN, guest passes, etc.) at a cost that wouldn’t break the bank (literally). The quality of the hardware and low cost of maintenance are primary driving factors, and Ruckus exceeds in this space by providing great hardware and a low annual operating expense.

The Virtual SmartZone appliance is easy to use and quick to deploy, which helps to ensure our staff is focused on actionable results instead of constantly fiddling with wireless configuration or contacting support to resolve troublesome issues.

What needs improvement?

Additionally, Ruckus seems to have removed the built-in help from the appliance, urging the user to log on to the support web site to obtain it. This is simply a nuisance if one wishes to look up what a particular field on the configuration page does, for example.

it_user841143 - PeerSpot reviewer
      User at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Give us integrated WiFi client performance tools and advanced user access controls

What is our primary use case?

We are using Ruckus Wireless in different Zomato corporate offices (restaurant search and discovery service). We are using ZoneDirector 1200 and ZoneDirector 3000 with ruckus APs (R600, R700, R300).

How has it helped my organization?

Before Ruckus we had to buy additional devices for client performance and monitoring, but now we can do all such monitoring and improve our client performance.

What is most valuable?

• Integrated WiFi client performance tools
      • Sophisticated user access controls
      • Easy and understandable controls and interfaces

What needs improvement?

APs should be more adaptable to denser client regions and, most important, the logs on the ZoneDirector should be classified into groups, such as type of logs and alerts.

it_user840210 - PeerSpot reviewer
      President/Owner
      Reseller
      ​BeamFlex works well in changing environments, bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles​
      • "​BeamFlex works great in changing environments by bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles​."
      • "​They need more products in the lower-end range for smaller clients​."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Ruckus Big Dog reseller. We sell and install into small retail shops that want to market their free public WiFi hotspot, manufacturing environments where new obstacles are constantly introduced, offices that need LAN-like WiFi, hotels, and event centers that need high capacity installations with 200-500 people per AP.

How has it helped my organization?

It requires very little maintenance (unlike competitive products we have sold) and provides a consistently great WiFi environment.

What is most valuable?

BeamFlex works great in changing environments by bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles.

What needs improvement?

They need more products in the lower-end range for smaller clients.

More than five years.

Very stable. We have this in very dense environments (like stadiums and manufacturing floors). The only issue we had is that Apple devices hate band-steering so you should setup separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs.

No issues with scalability. The product scales very well and eliminates co-channel interference. Very easy to add licenses to the controller to scale larger or add redundant controllers.

Technical support is about a seven out of 10.  Not bad, but not wow. Better than most. We don’t need support often.

• Cisco enterprise - expensive and complicated, more APs needed to cover an area.
      • HPE Colubris - unreliable.

Pretty straightforward, if you know what you’re doing with wireless. The only thing that is tricky is understanding that the controller does not get installed on a trunk port (different than most other solutions).

Pricing is very competitive for an enterprise solution.

Licensing: Always carry the support contract on the controller (not needed on APs).

Just about everything out there. It was between Ruckus and Aerohive, but ultimately, Ruckus BeamFlex performed better with our testing (fewer APs needed, worked around obstacles in changing warehouse environments, supported high density).

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product, excellent technology that requires fewer access points than competitors, it's easy to manage, and cost competitive (compared with other enterprise WiFi solutions).

Try it by using the virtual controller or the unleashed product (controller equivalent on an AP).

it_user840216 - PeerSpot reviewer
      User at a training & coaching company with 501-1,000 employees
      It resulted in 100% up time on our network
      • "It ensured our Internet service was always up, allowing us to serve our customers 24/7."
      • "We rarely had access points fail in the field. They were rock solid, durable, and had the best signal penetration from any we tested.​"

What is our primary use case?

I was an executive with a managed services company specializing in high density WiFi deployments. We designed, installed, and managed wired and wireless networks primarily in student housing environments. This included apartment style housing and dormitory housing. Many of our installations were cinder block and steel constructions with known WiFi inhibitors.

How has it helped my organization?

As a tech company, we used Ruckus in our own internal system which resulted in 100% up time on our network. This ensured our Internet service was always up, allowing us to serve our customers 24/7.

What is most valuable?

Reliability. We rarely had access points fail in the field. They were rock solid, durable, and had the best signal penetration from any we tested.

What needs improvement?

The cost can be prohibitive for many as it is a high-end product in the WiFi market.

Three to five years.

We thoroughly tested every wireless access point on the market to ensure the success of our deployments. We intentionally selected Ruckus Wireless as our product of choice due to its robust capabilities, antennae array, ZoneDirector controller system, and support. While they were not the cheapest products on the market, they were ideally designed for the harsh WiFi conditions in which we needed them to function.

it_user817887 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Lead Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
        User
        ​Tremendous throughput and easy installation, configuration, and monitoring
        • "​Tremendous throughput and easy installation, configuration, and monitoring."
        • "Comprehensive availability and performance of monitoring and reporting for WISP network monitor."
        • "Analyzes real-time, in-depth network performance."
        • "The Ruckus Location-Based Services​ (LBS) Solution is the highlight that enables businesses to enhance the way of interaction with their customers on the basis of precise location."
        • "I would like to see more detailed network performance, monitoring, and reporting tools or information. This would improve the deployment of multi-site networks and help administrators to progress on a timely efficient manner."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the wireless ISP business. Among others, we deploy Ruckus Wireless equipment on several sites of our backbone and backhaul network. Performance and quality of Ruckus Wireless APs and switches is more than satisfying.

How has it helped my organization?

• Tremendous throughput and easy installation, configuration, and monitoring.
        • Comprehensive availability and performance of monitoring and reporting for WISP network monitor.
        • Analyzes real-time, in-depth network performance.

What is most valuable?

Wi-Fi with more than basic connectivity to improve operational efficiency and engage customers. The Ruckus Location-Based Services (LBS) Solution is the highlight that enables businesses to enhance the way of interaction with their customers on the basis of precise location.

What needs improvement?

Download our free Ruckus Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
        Updated: November 2022