Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

One Identity Safeguard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

One Identity Safeguard is #5 ranked solution in top Privileged Access Management (PAM) tools and #6 ranked solution in top User Behavior Analytics - UEBA tools. PeerSpot users give One Identity Safeguard an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. One Identity Safeguard is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager: One Identity Safeguard vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. One Identity Safeguard is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Privileged Access Management (PAM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is One Identity Safeguard?

One Identity Safeguard is an integrated system that combines a secure, toughened password safe and a session management and monitoring solution with threat detection and analytics into one integrated solution. It stores, manages, records, and analyzes privileged access in a secure manner.

One Identity Safeguard Features

One Identity Safeguard has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Policy-based release control: Seek access and approve privileged passwords and sessions using a secure online browser that supports mobile devices. Depending on your organization's policies, requests can be authorized immediately or require dual/multiple approvals. You can set One Identity Safeguard to match your personalized needs, whether your policies consider the requestor's identity and level of access, the time and day of the request attempt, and/or the specific resource requested. You can also enter reason codes and/or connect to ticketing systems.

• Vault for personal passwords: In a free personal password vault, every one of your employees can keep and generate random passwords for non-federated business accounts. This allows your company to use a sanctioned tool to securely share and retrieve passwords, giving you much-needed security and visibility into your company's accounts.

• Auditing, recording, and replaying entire sessions: All session activity is collected, indexed, and kept in tamper-proof audit trails that can be viewed like a video and searched like a database, down to the keystrokes, mouse movements, and windows viewed. Security teams can search across sessions for certain events and play the recording from the exact point where the search criterion happened. For forensics and compliance purposes, audit trails are encrypted, time-stamped, and cryptographically signed.

• Approval in any location: Approve or refuse requests from anywhere, using One Identity Starling Two-Factor Authentication, without having to connect to a VPN.
  • Instantly on: Safeguard for Privileged Sessions can be implemented in a transparent manner, with no changes to user workflows required. Safeguard, when acting as a proxy gateway, can act as a network router, unseen to both the user and the server. Admins can continue to use their normal client programs and access target servers and systems without disrupting their everyday routine.

• Biometrics of user behavior: Even when performing identical operations like typing or moving a mouse, each person has his or her own unique pattern of behavior. These behavioral characteristics are examined by the Safeguard algorithms. Keystroke dynamics and mouse movement analysis aid in the detection of security breaches while also acting as a continuous biometric authentication system.

• Favorites: Right from the login screen, quickly access the passwords you use the most. You can combine many password requests into a single favorite, allowing you to log into all of your accounts with a single click.

• Discovery options: With host, directory, and network-discovery options, you can quickly find privileged accounts or systems on your network.

Reviews from Real Users

One Identity Safeguard stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its stability and its connection control. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

One PeerSpot reviewer, a Software Solutions Architect at a computer software company, writes, “I have found the most useful feature of One Identity Safeguard to be Privileged Sessions. One Identity Safeguard is a stable solution.” He adds, “I rate One Identity Safeguard a nine out of ten.”

Walid S., Networking and Security Engineer at a tech services company, mentions of the solution, “We deployed it into our company for controlling a client's behavior in our data center. It is very useful to control their connections, such as RDP.”

One Identity Safeguard Customers

Cavium

One Identity Safeguard Video

Archived One Identity Safeguard Reviews (more than two years old)

Chief Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Reduces operational costs and eliminates password sharing
  • "We use the solution’s Approval Anywhere feature which enables us to add an extra layer of security for critical passwords without adding time-consuming approval processes. By using this platform, if someone goes on a vacation, out of office, or needs urgent/planned leave, then our setup will select the functions tied to that person and automatically delegate them to the next person. That person can start performing that duty based on their access. No sharing of passwords is required."
  • "The multilanguage functionality does not support the Arabic language, even though this solution is deployed in an Arabic region."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is regulated by the central bank in our country. There are about 4,000 employees in our organization.

Our main need was to reduce the operational cost of our department by increasing the window of operations to 24-hour rather than have office unemployment.

We are now digitizing the access control function through One Identity. Whoever forgets their password can reset it on their own rather than reaching out to the security desk. Whenever we have a new employee, we found that it was taking at least two days to get them a username or access to the system. Now, once they are logged into the organization and are registered on our ERP system, their complete access will be ready within five seconds. They will receive an SMS with their username and password so they can start working. This has increased efficiency and effectiveness of the access control function. It has reduced operational costs as well as providing services 24/7 with a platform that can be used anytime and anywhere for investigation in case we have a requirement.

We use the physical appliances, as they are more reliable. Around the world, dedicated appliances are more reliable than having a virtual version/copy. We went with the physical appliances because they are dedicated and closed like a black box. However, we haven't reported any misses with the virtual version.

What is most valuable?

We use the solution’s Approval Anywhere feature which enables us to add an extra layer of security for critical passwords without adding time-consuming approval processes. In the past, we were having problems when a user went on vacation. There were many recalled cases of password sharing. When we received this type of incidence and started to investigate, we found out the past setup had no solution. For example, if someone with a daily duty went on vacation, they still had to do it within the office. That is why sometimes people tried to justify the sharing of passwords by the importance of their duties. Now, by using this platform, if someone goes on a vacation, out of office, or needs urgent/planned leave, then our setup will select the functions tied to that person and automatically delegate them to the next person. That person can start performing that duty based on their access. No sharing of passwords is required.

What needs improvement?

The multilanguage functionality does not support the Arabic language, even though this solution is deployed in an Arabic region. However, it matches our criteria and requirements overall.

One Identity is using a third-party to create one-time passwords. Due to our security restrictions, we needed to build our own. When we discussed this with One Identity, "Why they don't provide a technology that can be hosted on our data center and be built by One Identity," they said they are using a third-party. This was their justification, so I think it's based on their strategy and there's no harm using a third party. However, we were having an issue using a third-party.

I have using this solution for about six months. The project started about one year back. We started product introduction through phases. We went full-fledged with One Identity using Cloud Access Manager, Password Manager, and Privileged Access Management along with identity and access management.

Privileged Access Management (PAM)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about One Identity, CyberArk, WALLIX and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: September 2022.
636,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been trying to stabilize the system until now. We haven't had the chance to revisit the deployment to find out if there are any expansion plans, as we are working to sustain the set up. We want to increase end user awareness and start building the number of reports.

I didn't have a requirement to test the scalability of the solution. We did discuss the scalability with the system integrator at the beginning, and it's on the license level. I don't think we will have an issue once we come to the point of needing to scale.

We have 3,000 end users and 10 administrators.

I haven't had a chance to work the One Identity technical team. We work with the local partner instead.

None of my team has gone for training yet. However, they did have a handover for operation of the solution. It doesn't need that much training as long as you know the basics of access control functions. End users only need to have a tutorial to the portal. This is what we provide: a tutorial for how to use it and the know-how.

We previously were using a manual process. One Identity helped us to automate this process.

We integrated One Identity with our ERP system (Oracle) and also with our security operations center (Splunk). The integration went perfectly. It was an easy connection. We built the connectivity directly through the API. What we found time consuming: the setup and connecting One Identity. E.g., Oracle takes more time than Splunk to connect because Splunk's system is ready to send the security logs to the security operations centers. With Oracle, the integration depends on the business needs and there are a number of different requirements based on those business needs. The enhancement One Identity made is the historical part related to system access control goes through our SOC to this tool.

My team worked on the initial setup. I don't remember any critical escalations related to technicalities during their field deployments. The local system integrator helped us with any deployment challenges. There was zero disruption to privilege users during the deployment, which can be attributed to the work of the project management team. The deployment took about six months using two outsourced resources.

For the consultation services, we went with a well-known, famous system integration company (Exceed Gulf), who is local. They were cooperative, experienced, and professional. They have led many successful deployments in our region. Sometimes, they provide better advice when we are releasing an RFP to the market, e.g., when they got this RFP, they added value by doing a slight amendment to the deployment. This contributed a lot to the success of this project. Their advice comes based on their experience in the deployment for such a solution in our region. I strongly recommend working with Exceed Gulf and the same team that we worked with, as their technical skills were perfect.

We have not yet seen ROI. The benefit that we get from using One Identity is that it reduces operational costs.

We have a yearly license. The cost depends on how much a company wants to invest in technology. In our organization, we believe in modern digitization and automation processes so we found it affordable. One Identity was not that much less than other solutions and it is not a cheap solution. There were number of cheaper solutions. However, it's the most effective, according to our evaluation.

When we started thinking about approaching such a solution, there was an increased need to digitize or have a platform that helped to provided access control functions. There were a number of solutions in the market, like Oracle and Microsoft. One Identity (per our evaluation) was our selected solution. One Identity won when we match these criteria against other solutions in the market:

• Support
  • The system integrator
  • Strength of the solution
  • Complexity of the solution (less complex than other solutions).

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to always get the support. This solution could not be successfully implemented with no support of the HR and procurement system. You will need to mature all of your HR and procurement processes to do the deployment in a secure manner. This is a security solution, not an IT solution. If you want to deploy it as a security requirement, you need to ensure that the HR and procurement processes are correctly in place. You can use it as a technology solution, because not all the technology requires security, but all security requires technology.

We haven't activated the session recordings yet. We have tested it, and while it worked successfully, we didn't apply it fully because of internal technical issues.

All the logs in the system are recorded and sent to our security operations center (SOC) for analysis. In our SOC, we have end user behavior analysis, but do not depend directly on One Identity to provide this. However, I might ask to have a report for the user behavioral analysis going forward.

I can rate the solution as an eight (out of 10).

Martin Ajayiobe - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Vice President (Infrastructure Systems/Information Security) at MAXUT
This product is an excellent for controlling role-based access without administrative overhead
  • "The Transparent Mode is the number one advantage of the product."
  • "It is generally easy-to-use and install."
  • "Being able to use a proxy server is an advantage."
  • "The product uses a lot of resources in current sessions."
  • "The Transparent Mode could be somewhat easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

With Safeguard, there are two virtual appliances. There is one that helps you manage passwords and then there is another one that helps you record the sessions. You can configure it to record whatever you do when you make the remote calls.

We use this solution for a bank. My current project is to onboard all the bank's security assets onto Safeguard. It will be used for admins to have secure access to the server.

What is most valuable?

The part of this product that I like the most is the transparent mode. That is the number one advantage of the product. I also like the ease-of-use. That is what Quest is known for. The interface is interactive, relatively easy-to-use.

I like the fact that we are using a proxy server. Also, I like the fact that it is integrated in such a way that I can connect to my Linux and Unix resources using my AD credentials. They map the AD credentials to Linux accounts. So, when I am connected to my AD accounts, it acts as a sort of proxy to convert it to the Unix account that it is configured for. That is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

The only part of the Safeguard solution that I think could be a problem over time is the amount of storage it takes in the sessions. For example, because it records in real-time video it takes a lot of resources. So, it has not been a problem yet, but we are looking at a solution where we allocate the cost of that additional capacity differently. Then there will be enough resources to compensate for whatever the storage needs are. It just takes a large amount of storage for each current session.

Another thing that I would like to see them improve is that I would like them to make the transparent board a little bit more transparent. The transparent mode is something I use often and it is the best feature of the product but that is also why I see how it can be improved. It might just be a little bit easier to use.

We are a long-time Quest partner and have only been using the product for the past five months. We just got onboarded to the One Identity product. This is my first project with One Identity.

One of the things I really like about the One Identity solution is the fact that it can be configured in active-active cluster mode. It is just a little pricey because you have to purchase the additional licensing just to be able to do an active-active configuration.

But I like it also because it is a virtual appliance. This means I can configure a high-availability cluster anyhow I want. If I have it on a VMware cluster, I can enable high-availability or any virtual cluster solution that makes sure it is highly available. I would do that using VMware storage. This makes it a more stable and flexible solution.

The fact that I do not have to worry about other incidental things is good. I am not connected to an external database server. So all the dependencies, patching, and additional setup is something I do not have to do on the One Identity appliance. Everything is on a hardware appliance. In other words, I do not really even have to worry about securing my security device. It may not be the first thing to think about, but because you deployed a security device, now you have to worry about securing it. As it is all-in-one as a hardware appliance, I do not have to worry about all that.

We have not had any issues with scalability to this point and it is handling our capacity and needs. The only potential issue would be budgeting for additional licensing, which would not be a problem in our case, and handling the resource usage. These are not really limiting.

Between the banking client and our company, not everyone has been onboarded yet to the One Identity Safeguard. But in the end, we are looking at probably about 500 servers and I think a total of about 180 admins. This seems realistic using this product.

My impression of support is that the guys there are very helpful. They are eager to jump in and to help you out. Yes, I think it is a great service.

I think that the initial setup was very straight forward. Pretty much a piece of cake, actually. With our implementation strategy, the deployment actually took only about two hours. That is including the discovery of the assets. It is a relatively large enterprise network, so discovery can potentially take some time. This was very reasonable.

The approximate cost on a yearly basis is in the ballpark of about 80 grand, $80,000. That is for about 100 servers. That is the standard license fee. There are not really any additional costs once you purchase that. Sometimes you can have professional services included with it. For example, if you take a week of professional services or if you need them to do the install. That is the only additional charge.

As a long-time Quest partner, this was an easy choice to make. Because we were already partners it made sense to work with their other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to organizations considering this solution would be that before they make a commitment they need to try to find a local support resource. They will want to be able to get local support because that can be critical. But otherwise, I think it is a good product and a good buy. I would buy it again. As a partner, I would also sell it again because I am confident in it as a product and a solution.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the One Identity Safeguard solution as a nine-point-five out of ten. I'm very happy. If I have to choose an integer, it would have to be a nine. Ten would mean it is perfect and there are things I think can be improved.

Privileged Access Management (PAM)
September 2022
636,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alexander Pirogov - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Department of Technical Means of Protection at BrokerCreditService
Visualizes RDP sessions and logs SSH sessions
  • "The solution transparently integrates into the infrastructure and users do not notice it. I would give this feature the highest rating."
  • "I would like to see support for RDP over HTTPS so this product can be used in conjunction with the Microsoft terminal."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to control the access of privileged users, such as application administrators, to the internal network. This solution allows us to record and log user sessions.

We use virtual appliances on the VMware platform. The virtualization of such services allows us to flexibly scale our hardware configuration and gives significantly more opportunities for building a stable structure.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allowed us to provide remote access to the company's internal infrastructure in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. It made this access more transparent and controlled for information security departments.

We easily integrated this product with our SIEM system for collecting events. Thanks to this integration, we were able to build convenient, regular reports on privileged user connections. Therefore, our information security units can better see who is connecting to the remote infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the logging sessions with their visualization, which is video recording. This functionality allows us to restore the actions of a user in the event of any incidents.

While the "transparent mode" feature did not affect the monitoring in any way, it led to an increase in the convenience of connecting users.

This solution visualizes RDP sessions and logs SSH sessions.

What needs improvement?

I would like to visualize SSH sessions.

I would like built-in traffic balancing mechanisms with the built-in load balancing mechanism when using several instances.

About four years.

Over four years of use, we have not encountered a single system crash or failure. The product is stable.

When increasing the number of users, we can rather easily add to virtual appliances processors and memory, or disks for storing records, which is more difficult to do on a hardware (physical) appliance.

We have two administrators involved in the deployment, configuration, and maintenance of this solution. During the peak of the pandemic, we had up to 3,000 users connected through the solution and able to work from home.

We have used One Identity’s tech support. I would rate it as excellent. They answer all the questions asked of them quickly and efficiently.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The virtual appliance is deployed from the delivered image without any problems. The setup takes about 15 to 20 minutes, including initial setup and configuration. It also is available to any admin user with Unix competencies.

We use the “transparent mode” function to connect administrative users via SSH to the Unix servers. We did not encounter any problems when setting up this feature, as everything was easy. The solution is well-documented and quite understandable when setting up.

It took about one or two working days to administer the solution, read the documentation and settings, and test various configuration options. It was not very difficult. For our users, there were no special nuances since the connection is transparent. They do not understand nor see that they are connecting through the One Identity Safeguard space.

Our implementation strategy was to use this solution to control remote sessions of privileged users, first with our IT support staff. Now, we use the product for this purpose. In general, the strategy was a success.

There has been a lack of losses, since controlling the actions of privileged users is primarily to minimize risks and create an absence of losses.

Licensing and pricing are quite straightforward. The number of recording channel licenses depends on the needs of the customer. I would suggest estimating the number of concurrent sessions per unit of time and proceed from there when purchasing a license.

We evaluated Safeguard and another product. We ultimately chose Safeguard.

Safeguard is an external (in relation to controlled systems) solution which allows you to record sessions. Its competitor was an agent solution that was put on target servers. With the competitor's solution, there was a risk of disconnecting of a privileged user's recording.

What other advice do I have?

Clearly assess your needs and formulate the necessary requirements, then proceed from there with the selection of an appropriate solution. In our case, One Identity Safeguard became this solution. However, this solution is not a panacea for all ills. It is possibly you’ll find that a different solution is more suitable.

I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10). In order to rate it as a 10, it should have what I would like to see in its coming new releases.

Foreign Language: (Russian)

Как и для чего вы используете этот продукт?

Мы используем это решение для контроля доступа привилегированных пользователей, таких как администраторы приложений, к внутренней сети. Это решение позволяет нам записывать и регистрировать пользовательские сессии.

Мы используем виртуальные устройства на платформе VMware. Виртуализация таких сервисов позволяет нам гибко масштабировать конфигурацию нашего оборудования и предоставляет значительно больше возможностей для построения стабильной структуры.

Как это помогло моей организации?

Это решение позволило нам обеспечить удаленный доступ к внутренней инфраструктуре компании в контексте пандемии COVID-19. Это сделало этот доступ более прозрачным и контролируемым для отделов информационной безопасности.

Мы легко интегрировали этот продукт с нашей системой SIEM для сбора событий. Благодаря этой интеграции мы смогли создавать подходящие регулярные отчеты о привилегированных пользовательских соединениях. Поэтому наши подразделения информационной безопасности могут лучше видеть, кто подключается к удаленной инфраструктуре.

Какие функции вы нашли наиболее ценными?

Наиболее ценной функцией является регистрация сеансов с их визуализацией, то есть запись видео. Эта функциональность позволяет нам восстанавливать действия пользователя в случае каких-либо инцидентов.

Решение прозрачно интегрируется в инфраструктуру, и пользователи этого не замечают. Я бы дал этой функции самый высокий рейтинг.

Хотя функция «прозрачного режима» никак не повлияла на мониторинг, она привела к увеличению удобства подключения пользователей.

Это решение визуализирует сеансы RDP и регистрирует сеансы SSH.

Что нуждается в улучшении?

Я хотел бы видеть поддержку RDP через HTTPS, чтобы этот продукт можно было использовать вместе с терминалом Microsoft.

Я хотел бы визуализировать сессии SSH.

Я хотел бы использовать встроенные механизмы балансировки трафика со встроенным механизмом балансировки нагрузки при использовании нескольких экземпляров.

Как долго я использую этот продукт/решение?

Около четырех лет.

Что я думаю о стабильности этого продукта/решения?

За четыре года использования мы не встретили ни одного сбоя или сбоя системы. Продукт стабилен.

Что я думаю о масштабируемости решения?

Увеличивая количество пользователей, мы можем довольно легко добавить к виртуальным устройствам процессоры и память или диски для хранения записей, что труднее сделать на аппаратном (физическом) устройстве.

У нас есть два администратора, участвующих в развертывании, настройке и обслуживании этого решения. В разгар пандемии у нас было до 3000 пользователей, подключенных через решение и способных работать из дома.

Как бы вы оценили техническую поддержку этого продукта/решения?

Мы использовали техническую поддержку One Identity. Я бы оценил это как превосходное. Они отвечают на все заданные вопросы быстро и качественно.

Какое решение я использовал ранее и почему я переключился?

Ранее мы не использовали другое решение.

Как прошла начальная настройка?

Виртуальное устройство развертывается из доставленного образа без каких-либо проблем. Настройка занимает от 15 до 20 минут, включая первоначальную установку и настройку. Он также доступен для любого администратора с компетенцией Unix.

Мы используем функцию «прозрачного режима» для подключения административных пользователей через SSH к серверам Unix. При настройке этой функции проблем не возникало, так как все было просто. Решение хорошо документировано и вполне понятно при настройке.

Потребовалось около одного или двух рабочих дней для администрирования решения, ознакомления с документацией и настройками, а также для тестирования различных вариантов конфигурации. Это было не очень сложно. Для наших пользователей особых нюансов не было, так как подключение прозрачно. Они не понимают и не видят, что они соединяются через пространство One Identity Safeguard.

Наша стратегия внедрения заключалась в том, чтобы использовать это решение для управления удаленными сеансами привилегированных пользователей, в первую очередь с нашей службой поддержки Информационных Технологий. Теперь мы используем продукт для этой цели. В целом стратегия имела успех.

Какой была была ваша прибыль на инвестиции в One Identity Safeguard?

Мы не испытали никаких потерь, поскольку контроль действий привилегированных пользователей в первую очередь сводит к минимуму риска и создает отсутствие потерь.

Какой у меня опыт работы с ценами, стоимостью установки и лицензированием?

Лицензирование и ценообразование довольно просты. Количество каналов регистрации лицензий зависит от потребностей заказчика. Я бы посоветовал оценить количество одновременных сеансов за единицу времени и перейти оттуда к покупке лицензии.

Прежде чем выбрать этот продукт, вы оценивали другие варианты?

Мы оценили Safeguard и другой продукт. В конечном итоге мы выбрали Safeguard.

Safeguard - это внешнее (по отношению к управляемым системам) решение, которое позволяет вам записывать сессии. Его конкурентом было агентское решение, которое было размещено на целевых серверах. С решением конкурента был риск отключения записи привилегированного пользователя.

Какой еще у меня совет?

Четко оцените свои потребности и сформулируйте необходимые требования, а затем приступайте к выбору подходящего решения. В нашем случае One Identity Safeguard стал таким решением. Однако это решение не является панацеей от всех болезней. Возможно, вы обнаружите, что другое решение более подходит.

Я бы оценил решение как девять (из 10). Чтобы оценить его как 10, у него должно быть то, что я хотел бы видеть в его будущих новых выпусках.

Cody Engelman - PeerSpot reviewer
Expert Systems Architect at Tempur Sealy International, Inc.
Improved our security posture by making password changes easy and allowing us to make regular password changes to service accounts
  • "It has greatly helped improve our security posture. Safeguard has an option where it will reset passwords on service accounts, then go out to those servers where that service account is running as a service and update the password on it. That makes password changes very easy. We can regularly change passwords now and are planning on making it an annual activity, where all the people who own service accounts will go in and make sure all their passwords get changed, updated, and reset."
  • "Transparent mode was too cumbersome, so I don't foresee us being able to use it. On paper when we were initially talking about it, it was definitely going to be the preferred method until we realized the burden it would be on our network guys. Then, we had to step back and reevaluate what we wanted to do. That's when we changed our approach to use the RD Gateway feature."

What is our primary use case?

There are two parts to Safeguard: the sessions recording part and the password management appliance. With the password management appliance, we have been using version 2.10. For the sessions recording, we started off with version 6.2. It has new additions and updates which have come out, thus we've upgraded. Currently, we are up to version 6.5.

We are doing a sessions recording for all of our UAT and production servers. Therefore, if something breaks/happens or there's a change during the day without the proper change control mechanisms, we can determine the session by pulling the last session on the box and finding out who did what. Then, for the password part, it is used to consolidate enterprise-wide all our passwords for our 2000-plus server accounts.

We have five physical alliances for the password part. Then, for the sessions recording, there are three virtual appliances. We went with these particular versions because they were the latest and greatest. I like to keep things updated instead of dragging stuff out, which is how people get stuck with legacy devices unable to upgrade or with no upgrade path available.

How has it helped my organization?

It has greatly helped improve our security posture. Safeguard has an option where it will reset passwords on service accounts, then go out to those servers where that service account is running as a service and update the password on it. That makes password changes very easy. We can regularly change passwords now and are planning on making it an annual activity, where all the people who own service accounts will go in and make sure all their passwords get changed, updated, and reset. That's a huge scary stance right there because people leave the company and memorize all their passwords. Now, they're null and void, and we're in a far more secure place.

We are still building out the Safeguard behavioral analytics feature, but so far, it's pretty good about being able to detect nonhuman input. This has increased our security posture as well. It's really easy to use. Security guys are able to identify, "Why is this person logging into spots on the weekend when historically they've never accessed it on the weekend whatsoever?" We're able to keep watch as there is a lot better visibility of our environment.

What is most valuable?

The password part is the most valuable because we were going to start vaulting certain accounts to get a lot of passwords changed. Historically, we have had really stale passwords on non-human and service accounts. E.g., on one of our service accounts, the password hasn't changed for 17 years. It was not even that complicated or good of a password in the first place.

This solution has definitely helped us consolidate. It replicates to other appliances, so we're replicating to our DR site. Thus, if anything were to happen to our data center or personnel, whomever was trying to pick up the pieces and try to put the business back together would at least have all the passwords available to them.

The physical appliance form factors are pretty nice. They are definitely Dell inspired and easy to set up with accurate instructions. We have had no problems.

Regarding usability and functionality:

• It has a nice, clean interface.
  • It's pretty direct and easy to personalize.
  • Users can set up favorites on certain things that they request. Very often, they shortcut it. So, it reduces the clicks down to three clicks.
  • You can have a password for any account.
  • It's auditable, which makes the security guys' happy.

What needs improvement?

We tried the solution's “transparent mode” feature for privileged sessions. It ended up making a lot of Cisco Layer 2 configurations hard and was using a lot of ACLs to control the traffic, which we identified as type of a risk. In order for it to do production that would put an unnecessary burden on our network guys to configure it because that's thousands and thousands of lines of code that they'd have to update and change. We did use this feature for the PoC and that worked out well. However, for production, we are using the Remote Desktop Gateway feature.

I would like their transparent mode to have an easier implementation. If there was a way that we could do transparent mode without having to use ACLs that would be incredibly beneficial.

They could do a better discovery to find out where service accounts are being used on non-Windows Boxes, such as Linux. That would be a good benefit.

Six months.

The stability is very good. There have been no problems at all so far.

We have four administrators who do maintenance. One of them is the security guy. He will go in and through the audits, looking at session recordings. We also have it locked down so that only he view these things. There are three other admins, including me, are responsible for maintaining the product. We keep things up, making sure the Gateway works, and helping users troubleshoot if they have problems with the Gateway.

It is very scalable. If we want to add another site or stand up another data center, we just buy a couple more appliances. Then, we set up a couple more session boxes and everything is covered.

So far, we are just using it for passwords, then passive session monitoring. Therefore, our usage is pretty minimal:

• Trying to track down people's accounts.
  • Getting locked out because of user password changes.
  • Not closing out of RDP session right. This is sort of a pain. However, people are getting better about logging off appropriately instead of just closing out the window.

We have about 140 end users because it is really just for our IT people. So far, businesses or anybody outside the IT organization doesn't even know the solution exists.

I love the tech support guys. Anytime that I have a problem, I can always put in a ticket. They get back to me right away. We have access to the product team and their Level 3 engineers. I've suggested a couple of feature requests and improvements on the product, then within six months, they were able to put those into an update which was rolled out. So, they are very efficient and quick.

I was surprised because I have dealt with Microsoft support, and we all know how it is: It's pretty terrible. I've dealt with other support companies where you will get somebody with a thick Indian accent and spend 70 percent of the conversation making sure he said what you thought he said. However, with the One Identity folks, it was easy and quick. They're a great group of guys.

PAM is totally new to our enterprise. Safeguard was definitely a cultural shift.

The initial setup was very straightforward and only got complex as we added use cases. We added the complexity on ourselves, but the product itself is very straightforward. The deployment took five months.

The implementation strategy was:

1. Setting up the sessions box.
  2. Ensuring it was set up once we received the Gateway configurations.
  3. Setting up policies and notifying people on how to change their Remote Desktop Client configurations.
  4. Shifting gears and switching over to trying to input all the service accounts and getting all the passwords loaded up into Safeguard.

After that, it was a done deal.

Our privileged users did complain and grip a bit due to the deployment. At first, they made it seem like the solution was disruptive to them. However, as time went on, complaints went down. Therefore, I think they're used to it by now. They just needed to understand the new technology and get comfortable with it.

We really did have old passwords. People hung onto their processes and certain ways of things. When you asked them to change, they got grumpy. I knew that they were going to get a little grumpy, but I didn't know they were going to be that grumpy. They are over themselves now, especially since the director stepped in, and said, "This is how it's going to be. Get used to it."

We used One Identity Professional Services. They were great. We got the same guy who helped us roll out our Identity Manager. It was really good to work with the same guy. He was a familiar face, already very knowledgeable about the product, and very quick to get answers.

For the deployment, it took about five total people: a security guy, a network guy and a couple of infrastructure guys.

We were able to get rid of a couple products, e.g., Identity Manager replaced FIM. Safeguard was totally new. Two-factor authentication has saved us from a couple of brute force attacks on a couple of our C-level executives. That was a pretty good return on investment. We have been able to protect ourselves against a couple of major compromises.

There have been at least three instances where 2fA protected us from compromises, and probably a whole lot more. It seems like people are constantly trying to hit, attack, and penetrate a lot of the things that we have on the perimeter and are Internet exposed.

It is a bit on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for. You don't want to get anything too cheap because then you get cheap stuff and cheap support. That really never helps anybody.

There are other additional costs for some training on their other products because Identity manager can get very involved. Once we got the products and licensing setup, everything else since then has been cake. I don't think we have been spending a whole bunch of money.

We didn't want to use a whole bunch of vendors. We had already picked One Identity for their two-factor authentication, Identity Manager, Cloud Access Manager, and Password Manager (self-service) solutions. We just sort of drank all the Kool-Aid.

We tried to look for a comprehensive product offering and One Identity was the only one who checked off all the boxes and things that we were looking at to roll down for the next five years. They are a great partner and always willing to work with us. They are awesome.

We did evaluate other vendors: Centrify, Okta, Azure AD, Azure 2FA, and Ping Identity. We were able to quickly rule them out, but these were the main competitors.

Azure AD is a lot of hype. It sort of sucks. The One Identity product works a lot better, as it's a lot easier to use and GUI-driven with a lot of wizards in it. Azure AD is a bit more complex and doesn't seem like it works all the time. That's why we didn't choose it. It seemed pretty unreliable compared to One Identity.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time. Talk to as many different aspects of the business in the company as you can. Get a lot of input from many people. Know how to sift through good and bad input. Use Professional Services, if you can. The tech on-demand services was much cheaper than their full-blown professional services. For the tech on demand services, we never had to wait more than a few days for some type of response.

The training was pretty easy. There was a one-day training class for the admin. Then, for the users, there were a couple of Word docs that we circulated around which were good enough.

We have not integrated it with other parts of our business. It is standalone and independent.

More time is being spent because there are more steps to check out a password or if you get a password.

We have just starting to really use the product. There is a lot of design, building, and configuring involved, so we have just started to truly take advantage of some of the features it has.

We haven't set up any type of approvals. We're pretty tight on who can see and request passwords in the first place. I would imagine at some point in time we'll probably end up utilizing the Approval Anywhere feature, just not right now.

As far as privilege access management goes, I'd rate it a nine (out of 10). So far, the product has been really easy to use and set up. I'd just make the rollout and implementation of the transparent mode better.

reviewer1161345 - PeerSpot reviewer
User with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Session auditing and replay capabilities help to secure our production environment
  • "All sessions are audited and they are indexed/searchable through the GUI."
  • "Monitoring of the platform should be easier and more functional so that you can have a clear picture of the running service."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to separate the office environment from the production environment with a secure network zone. All user sessions go through One Identity Safeguard before they can reach the production environment. All sessions are audited and they are indexed/searchable through the GUI. Some of the data are transferred to our SIEM solution. For the moment we use the product for RDP and SSH sessions. We are going to use it for Citrix farms also in transparent mode.

How has it helped my organization?

All user sessions are going through Safeguard. They are all audited and secured with forcing the minimum security settings on the side of the user. With this setup, you can easily secure all of the connections to the production environment from the office. Especially if you have a lot of different places connecting to the production environment, it is a PCI DSS requirement that you secure the flow. In our company we already audited the product as part of the PCI DSS certification.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is auditing the sessions. All of the sessions (RDP, SSH, Citrix) can be audited and replayed on demand.

Complete indexing on SSH sessions means that all commands are searchable after indexing.

What needs improvement?

Management of the farm of appliances. When you have more than one server to handle the traffic, you need to configure everything on each console and maintain seperately. The cluster feature is coming in the next versions, until then you can handle with some scripts but its not straight forward. In case you want to use a farm of appliances instead of one you should consider this.

Monitoring of the platform should be easier and more functional so that you can have a clear picture of the running service. Again when you have a farm of appliances you need to have all the monitoring data centrally so you know what is happening with the overall service. This feature is missing. You have to go on each server to see what is the status there.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This is an extremely stable product. Outages depend only on your environment. The service can run smoothly forever, depending on your company's setup and possible maintenance outages.

No problem to scale. It's always a good option to use a load balancer in front of the solution to handle the traffic.

Our experience with technical support has been extremely good.

This was the first implementation of such a product in the company.

Setup is straightforward as long as you plan correctly.

The initial setup was with the vendor. They have extremely good knowledge of the product and provide good support.

This solution provides PCI-DSS compliance, so ROI can be considered very good.

The full license is expensive but if you plan to use it in a big organization then it is the best option because it is more flexible.

More options where evaluated, like Centrify and CyberArk, before we choose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Before you decide, do a full analysis of your requirements and see if the product fulfills them. Performing such an analysis after the fact is going to be difficult.

Microsoft Azure
Director of Information Security at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Approval Anywhere feature enables review and approval of a request with one click
  • "There are a lot of features, so it's going to sound funny, but one of the most simplistic features, the Favorites feature, is the one we like the best. You do a full run-through of configuration to check out a server and then you can save that whole configuration as a favorite. So the next time you go in, you click on the favorite that you configured and it automatically takes you to the end so you can check the server out that much faster. It saves a lot of time..."
  • "There is room for improvement in the launch module. They built in a launch button but they don't have effective instructions for configuring it to allow it to launch an RDP session. They're working on that, but the button is in the live product. If they were going to install something that wasn't useful, they should have just disabled it and not rolled it out with the product."

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for our IT team, so they can access our production and pre-production environments, to have better accountability. They have to create a ticket, check it out, and then they have to get approval from our approvers group. So there's accountability from beginning to end, and we also record the sessions.

How has it helped my organization?

The time frame to get sessions rolling has been cut to a third. From a productivity standpoint that's tremendous.

In addition to that, the ease of use is fantastic because our IT team is able to check out sessions very quickly because it's so intuitive and easy to work with. They're pleased with it and it allows them to do their jobs much faster. That's probably the largest way it has improved things for us.

Finally, because of the intuitiveness and ease of use for end-users it has been really simple to train on. This product has worked flawlessly for us.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features, so it's going to sound funny, but one of the most simplistic features, the Favorites feature, is the one we like the best. You do a full run-through of configuration to check out a server and then you can save that whole configuration as a favorite. So the next time you go in, you click on the favorite that you configured and it automatically takes you to the end so you can check the server out that much faster. It saves a lot of time, resulting in an increase in productivity and a decrease in issues and errors and interface problems. It increases redundancy and gives us a much easier interface to use.

We're using virtual appliances for Safeguard because of the flexibility of virtual appliances. We can snapshot them, we can restore them quickly. There's a lot more flexibility with virtual.

We use the solution’s Approval Anywhere feature, and it allows a group of five individuals to receive notifications on their phones, through Starling, and review a request and approve it with one click.

We also use the solution’s “transparent mode” feature for privileged sessions. We record them and we also review them. That way, if there are problems with any configurations they did, we can go back and review them. Also, for mentoring, teams utilize it to help individuals deploy code better or to make changes to configurations. There are a lot of positives with that feature. It was very easy to start using this feature. The entire platform is very intuitive, very easy to work with, easy to set up. I can't think of anything that we have really had huge issues with. The rollout of "transparent mode" was seamless for our users. We sent out picture instructions on how to do it and offered to get on a call with people to discuss it with us, but nobody had any questions. In terms of the monitoring itself, it doesn't affect things any differently than the previous solution. It's pretty much the same. Obviously, using the tools is easier, but we were monitoring the same type of information as before.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the launch module. They built in a launch button but they don't have effective instructions for configuring it to allow it to launch an RDP session. They're working on that, but the button is in the live product. If they were going to install something that wasn't useful, they should have just disabled it and not rolled it out with the product. Because we don't tie it to an RDP session, you actually have to click the download button and then open the RDP session from there, versus just clicking the launch button and it automatically opening RDP.

Before Safeguard we used TPAM, which is one identity's product as well. We upgraded but we've been using the overall product since 2016.

Overall the solution is very stable. We have not had any major issues on it. It's a nice system.

The only issue I have run into was with our failover two our redundant. There was a pointer to the One Identity platform, it's called an SPP, and it wasn't pointing correctly. But we were able to resolve it. There have really been no issues besides that. Otherwise, everything is very seamless when doing failover and full redundancy.

We can continue to add more VMs to support thresholds. We can certainly scale up with it. It's being used on about 300 servers right now and we have plans to expand to about 200 more.

We have 50-plus people using safeguard right now and they're all in IT. For deployment and maintenance we have one to two people.

We haven't had to use technical support. It's been a solid platform so far.

Previous to this, we were using TPAM and, while it worked, it was horrible to work with. When we saw and got a demo of Safeguard and saw that we would be able to approve things from our phones, saw the user interface which was so much nicer — more intuitive, a lot easier to configure — we went from our teams complaining about the old product every day to not hearing one complaint at all. As a matter of fact, I hear compliments about how much they love Safeguard.

The feedback I have had from users has been a lot of compliments about how much they enjoy working in the interface. It's so much easier to use. It's quick. They can get to the point of checking out a server and of being compliant with security requirements, while at the same time being able to troubleshoot an issue much faster than they used to be able to.

The initial setup was a little complex.

We worked with an integrator, Rallypoint Solutions, to accomplish it because we hadn't accomplished it before with Safeguard specifically. The integrator was tremendous. I have nothing but good things to say about Rallypoint. They helped integrate the whole thing. They really had a great understanding of it. We worked with them throughout the entire setup. We were the hands and they were guiding us. Overall, it was very easy to get up and running.

It did take about a week, eight hours a day — so 40 hours — to get fully up and running and everything imported from the old system into the new one, and to make sure all testing and redundancy were done.

The deployment was not disruptive to our privileged users at all. We ran both the old system and the new system in parallel and allowed them to migrate over after a period of two weeks. However, we had most people on it the first week and they loved it. They were eager to get off the old system.

It required no training. I provided step-by-step picture instructions that we had written out and that was it. They were good to go. We did have a strategy in place, if we needed to work with our teams from a training standpoint. We had sessions set up and ready to go where a live person could walk them through it. But none of our IT users seemed to need that. It was very intuitive.

We have seen ROI using Safeguard. For example, configuring a session in the old version used to take them 10 or 15 minutes, or more. Not only that, but the live person who was the approver had to be logged into the system. So the requester could actually wait a couple of hours before somebody would be able to log in and approve the session. With Safeguard, it's approved within less than a minute because approvers get the notifications on their phones and are able to review the tickets effectively. They understand what's being accomplished and know that it has a ticket number with more detailed information that they can verify, and they can approve the session right there. The individual gets that approval immediately. We went from an average of from anywhere between 15 minutes and two hours down to less than a minute or two. That's tremendous.

They offer a fair price for a robust solution.

In addition to the standard licensing fees there are costs for Starling, but they're very minimal annually. You need Starling to use the mobile Approval Anywhere feature that is so convenient. So it's worth every dime. That extra cost is so small that it's not really even noticeable.

There are integration costs if you aren't looking to do it yourself. I highly recommend their integrators. They are a little expensive but certainly worth the money.

We did evaluate other solutions, but this is the best choice. We went with Safeguard because of the flexibility, the interface, and a more seamless migration from the old system to the new system. And costs were a consideration, obviously.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for something that is easy to use with a very intuitive interface — even the administrator interface is very intuitive — I would highly recommend Safeguard. The entire platform is very intuitive, very easy to work with, easy to set up. I can't think of anything that we have really had huge issues with.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using Safeguard is to make sure you have enough accounts available for individuals' sessions so that they can check out. The way Safeguard works, an account is created just for Safeguard. Individuals go in as themselves and then they have to check out this account in order for that account to be able to remote to the server. That account would be the only one allowed to remote to the server. But if multiple people have the account checked out for multiple hours, that presents an issue. So keep your session times as minimal as possible. Even for timeout, allow them to change it if they think they're going to use it longer. But the important thing is to make sure that you either have enough accounts or have your session timeouts limited.

We do use the solution's behavior analytics feature, but I wouldn't say that it's too useful at this point for us because we know what their usage is because it has to be done through tickets. For how long they're using it, what kind of configurations they're doing, and what they're doing, the analytics piece of it is more expected for us, as a result. It does help us to identify risky actions without having to create a set of rules or policies, and without any effort on our part. But in our environment, if users don't put in a ticket and provide effective comments, then our approvals group doesn't approve it. There's no automatic approval set up. An individual reviews every request, so malicious use would not be possible.

VP & Head of Cybersecurity Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Functionality is straightforward with a simple checkout process and integration of checkout proxy ID
  • "It's one of the best products we've seen. When you start looking at the functionality and use cases and usability of the product, it's straightforward. They designed this product with the end-user in mind, and they also had the sysadmin who is supporting the product in mind. They really did a nice job. Overall, it's a nice product to work with."
  • "From a usability perspective, what we are finding out is that our privileged domain admin users, in particular, want functionality for extending a checkout session. So we are working with One Identity support to see if there's an enhancement that can be made to the product."

What is our primary use case?

We started with administrative use cases and we were able to take control of all the local administrator accounts for endpoints and servers. We then started controlling privileged accounts for our domain administrators as well as for any kind of privileged account that had access to our switches, routers, and the like.

This year we're looking at taking control of all of the servers and application accounts. But that's going to be a longer journey for us because there are a lot more of those accounts, and there is a lot more testing that needs to be done because of the nature of the accounts.

Another use case this year is integrating Safeguard into the SQL database, so we can start taking control of the SA accounts within SQL.

Furthermore, we have a use case where we are using Safeguard to manage the account for our IIGA solution, which is our identity governance solution. When it creates new users or transfers or terminates users, it's using a privileged account that is being handled by Safeguard.

We have a lot more use cases but these are enough to give you an idea of how we use it.

How has it helped my organization?

We went from a state where privileged accounts were being used and not being monitored or even audited to our situation now where we are starting to monitor these privileged accounts more closely. That's where we show value in the product. Whenever a change is happening, we know because we find it in the logs. Our reporting and monitoring team is looking at it, and they are now starting to question changes that are associated with some kind of ticket or some kind CAB (change advisory board) request. It has improved our visibility for privileged access.

What is most valuable?

We have physical appliances for this solution. We went with that version of it because it was easier for us to deploy it and not have the IT engineers involved with our deployment. We wanted to control everything, from the deployment to the supportability to the usability of the product. I really enjoy the form factor of the appliance because it's definitely a change from the previous version, which was a bigger box. This one is a lot easier. It doesn't take up room on the rack, and it's very efficient as far as resources go.

The ease of use of the GUI is a really nice feature. It has a nice look and feel to it.

The actual checkout process is simple. You log into the portal and you're presented with accounts. That makes that so much easier because you don't have to go searching for stuff. It identifies what accounts you have, you click on it, and you go through the checkout process.

It's one of the best products we've seen. When you start looking at the functionality and use cases and usability of the product, it's straightforward. They designed this product with the end-user in mind, and they also had the sysadmin who is supporting the product in mind. They really did a nice job. Overall, it's a nice product to work with.

We use the Approval Anywhere feature and, through an app, it allows us to approve or deny requests. We don't have that turned on across the board, but we are turning it on slowly but surely. It adds an extra layer of security for critical passwords without adding time-consuming approval processes. That extra layer of security is our "belt and suspender" approach. It's making sure that you are approved to make a change, especially during production hours; it's approved by the person's manager.

What needs improvement?

From a usability perspective, what we are finding out is that our privileged domain admin users, in particular, want functionality for extending a checkout session. So we are working with One Identity support to see if there's an enhancement that can be made to the product.

There is another area for improvement that I have sent over to One Identity. I said, "Whenever you check out a password, there should be a radio code associated with the password." That's something that we're trying to work on with them. It was submitted as a request for enhancement. Sometimes, you can't tell if an "O" is an "O" or a zero is a zero. If we had a radio code, the person could correctly read that password and make sure that they're not fat-fingering it.

We've been using One Identity Safeguard since the end of 2017, so it's a little over two years. I was also a user of the previous version, which was TPAM, for many more years in my previous role.

We have never had an issue with the software or even with the appliances.

It's very scalable. It doesn't matter what size of organization you have. If you have an organization of 1,000 or 100,000, the product is going to be scalable to your needs.

In our company, we have sporadic roles and we have about 55 users who are tuned into Safeguard. We're managing over 3,000 privileged accounts. Some of the users' roles are network administrators, IT administrators, help desk administrators, and InfoSec administrators. Our marketing team has users of the product, as they have applications whose passwords are being managed through Safeguard. We have a nice blend of users who are using the product daily. It has really done a good job of keeping up with the demand.

We definitely have plans to expand the usage of the product. Any area that's going to require some kind of privileged account, especially as we go through a digital transformation in deploying cloud services, Safeguard is going to be right there with us and will give us that flexibility to manage those kinds of accounts.

For deployment and maintenance of the solution we have a staff of one who reports directly to me. He's a senior cybersecurity engineer.

Safeguard's technical support is one of the better ones that I have worked with. There's always room for improvement, but every time that I do pick up the phone it's been fine.

In my previous role I used Dell Quest TPAM, which was the previous version of Safeguard.

The initial setup was very straightforward because my team had the expertise in deploying a PAM solution, which was TPAM, in the past. This wasn't really that much different. We were able to deploy the full infrastructure, including DR redundancy, without Professional Services.

Because of scheduling conflicts, it took a few weeks to deploy. The main boxes were up within a week, but the full circle of deployment of the product was about a month or so because of those scheduling issues.

Standing up the appliance, plugging it in, and getting started was very straightforward. So kudos to One Identity for really listening to what the user population had to say about TPAM, because it is definitely reflected in the Safeguard product.

In terms of the effect on our privileged users, it's always going to be disruptive when you change something. People don't like change. We introduced this slowly but surely. We took a real "crawl, walk, run" type of methodology. We took the most basic use cases, and then we would update our support documentation to support the product. As we deployed it, we kept finding areas that we needed to document. It wasn't so easy to deploy something that was going to change somebody's workday process flow. But a year later, we're in a different state. It's been adopted and people are drinking from the same water hose.

We had in mind that we needed to handle the local administrator accounts and the privileged accounts, and we moved on from there. We knew that doing the local administrator account, which is really a non-human account, was going to give us the biggest bang for the buck. We knew that was something that we would achieve fairly quickly, and we did.

The training for end-users wasn't that bad. The product is straightforward. When you start working on a product with a lot of the features that you had suggested, in a previous version, be implemented, it's really nice to see that the company is listening to clients and the user population. That helped us in training our employees who use the product. The training was extremely straightforward, and people really caught onto it fairly quickly.

We absolutely see return on our investment. We're minimizing the risk of potential insider and external threats. We're managing all the privileged accounts, and we have minimized the risks of an account being hijacked and being used to compromise domains.

We are already seeing the return because we conduct annual penetration tests to see if we're able to compromise the network.

We evaluated CyberArk and BeyondTrust in addition to Safeguard. We went through a bake-off and Safeguard had one of the best sets of functionalities. It even had simple stuff for integration of a checkout proxy ID. You could check out the password and then it would just proxy to the endpoint. An example would an SSH session you needed for an account that was checked out.

CyberArk was going to require a lot of resources, both human and infrastructure resources, that we didn't have the bandwidth to take on. BeyondTrust fell short of some of the use cases that we had. One of the use cases was relationship. We had a core team that decided on the product and when the core team did its scoring, Safeguard came out just a little bit ahead of BeyondTrust and well ahead of CyberArk.

What other advice do I have?

Start with your current state. That's what we did. Then, create a roadmap of where you are, where you need to be over the next five years. Once you're able to assess the current state and you have a plan in place, you can pick the product that's going to help you get to that future state.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using this product is to be open-minded in trying to figure out where we could use some enhancements. Just because you choose a product you don't have to be 100 percent, all-in on the product. There is always room for opportunities. Whenever there is feedback or challenges, take them and then see what you can do better. My focus is the end-user who is using the product. We have to make sure that using this product doesn't affect users' day-to-day operations.

We started using the solution's behavior analytics feature but it never really took off because we got overwhelmed with other areas that we needed to address. It's something that is on the roadmap for us to eventually take a look at, or at least refresh the project plan and commit some time and some resources to it.

We are looking to integrate Safeguard with RSA. RSA has a component and we're looking to streamline the metrics around that component. When a product is brought online, there's a way for us to go in and do a scan of that machine or that endpoint. Ideally what should happen is that we'll go to Safeguard, check out a password, push that password to the vulnerability management scanner, and scan it. When that scan is done, it actually checks in the password and rotates it. It's our vulnerability management solution that we're looking to integrate. We're doing a PoC on that right now.

Safeguard is a next-generation tool when it comes to privileged access management. They have done a nice job figuring out all the features that need to be available out-of-the-box. I do have high expectations for Safeguard. I continue to look forward to future releases because I know it's going to get even better.

VP Risk Management at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can record everything third-party vendors do to ensure that they're only doing the needed changes
  • "We are able to log and get reporting on all privileged activity that is being performed. We like the fact that we can leverage the session recording feature, which is especially valuable when we're dealing with third-party vendors that have to remote into our our boxes and servers to do any work on behalf of the bank. Now, we can record everything they are doing to ensure that they're only doing the changes that were needed. In addition, we use it to leverage knowledge transfer with our internal staff."
  • "Some of the out-of-the-box reporting isn't that rich. We spoke to our Safeguard reps who have acknowledged that some of the reporting features can certainly be improved and that we're not the only customer who has cited this. There are very little out-of-the-box reporting capabilities. You have to build the queries and the report. I believe in the next release they're going to be addressing this."

What is our primary use case?

The three main use cases that we have are:

1. Ensure our human and non-human privilege accounts are locked up in a password vault.
  2. Have workflows to handle the major types of usage, such as break glass and business as usual.
  3. Changes in usage of the credentials are tied into approved change requests.

These drive our first goal to take all our privileged users on the help desk, our local accounts on our desktops, our servers (web servers, app servers, or database servers), and individuals in our network group who do our firewalls, then migrate all these human accounts into Safeguard Password Vault. Last Fall, we went group by group and revised their accounts. We took away any type of privilege account that they had, ensuring that all of these accounts were then migrated to the Vault. They could then check out passwords to facilitate any type of privilege activities they needed to do on behalf of the bank.

We use virtual appliances for this solution, which made sense for us, especially if we will plan to perhaps migrate to the cloud. Right now, it's all virtualized on-premise.

How has it helped my organization?

Anytime new tools and technologies are being brought into the bank, the biggest impact is to the process, procedures, and culture. There is a culture change when any new technology gets rolled out. This solution changes the way we have done the business for many years. We're taking a very controlled, conservative approach in how we roll the technology out.

What is most valuable?

It is working as it's supposed to work. We had a lot of good support from the One Identity team who helped us build it and do a test.

We use the solution’s Approval Anywhere feature. We do have the Starling 2FA app on our mobile devices. We haven't rolled out the request and approval yet. We want to get people to use it in their daily functions, whether it's business as usual work, break glass, or any changes that they need to make tied into an approved formal change request. Starting in April, we will be rolling out the request and approval phase. Based on the type of change being requested, break glass will need to be approved, especially if they're doing it during the daytime or off-hours. Then, we will have change requests tied into our change-advisory board. Once there's a change that's approved via our CAB process, then that person will be allowed to check out the credentials they need and tie it back into the ServiceNow ticket that was created. This gives us the audibility between when that change was being made and ensuring that it's being performed for its intended purposes. We are taking a crawl-walk-run approach.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Safeguard in a production capacity for about nine months now.

We haven't had any problems at all.

There was one issue where we had to put a certain fix on and were able to work with the One Identity people. We downloaded the fix and put it onto our dev environment. After it was baked into our dev environment for a day or so, we then scheduled that change to go live into our production environment. That went very smoothly.

Two people are needed for deployment and maintenance. They're both in the cybersecurity area. There's a manager along with a senior cyber security analyst who runs the platform.

The tool does everything that it is designed to do. It is one of the leading privileged access management products out on the market. They rebuilt the whole product, giving it a nice brand a new clean user interface, which is very user-friendly and easy to use. One Identity has done a very good job taking the old product, TPAM, and doing a whole refresh of that tool. We're very happy with the Safeguard product.

We have approximately 50 to 60 human privilege accounts whose roles are everything, everywhere. From the information security department to the desktop people, there are about 12 users in that area. There are about 20 people who comprise our IT engineering group and another 15 or so who comprise our network team. Then, there are the third-party users who have to login on behalf of the bank to do changes for us, which is another 10 or so privileged accounts which have been setup for a one-time usage when a third-party vendor needs to remote into our system. Crawl-walk-run impacts about 30 percent of all the changes being made. Most changes are made to the production environment and need to be done with a privilege account.

I would rate the technical support as very good and strong. We're happy with the support we get from our One Identity team. We see it as something that will be accepted more as the culture changes at the bank. We did the human accounts first because with the non-human service accounts there have been challenges this year. You have to tread water very slowly since you have to do a good analysis and understand what these non-human service accounts are used for. It's not just a simple lock them up in a vault type of scenario. It will take us a bit more time to put a plan together beginning in the second quarter to address the onboarding of these non-human service accounts into the password vault.

There wasn't much training required for those who manage the product. It was pretty straightforward. We did do training though. We had a training manual as well as a hour training class with various user groups. Our hour training, manual, and how-to guide along with being able to support issues/concerns via our cybersecurity team was beneficial to the success of the implementation.

We did not use another solution previously.

Prior to this Safeguard implementation, we did not know when somebody was using their elevated privileges to do certain features or functions. We only hoped that it was according to whomever the change request was associated. Now that we're able to audit log and record what is being done, we can play back all the sessions to make sure no type of unattended usage of the privilege or elevated credentials were being used. From securing the bank standpoint, it has helped tremendously.

The team shared with us that the initial setup was pretty straightforward.

The deployment took no more time from when we got the servers brought in to when got the software installed. This took a few weeks to get it up, configured, and customized for our needs. Then, there was some sandbox testing which was done, then we started the pilots within the first three months of having the solution stood up.

Anytime you are putting in a deployment change that affects privilege users, it's going to create some problems. That's why we took a very slow approach of taking one user from all of our various groups. We had one person from each of our teams: desktop, network, and IT engineering. We worked with them for about a month. We tried to shake out any bugs and issues that they would have before we gradually rolled it out to others.

People are very adverse to change. When you have this type of a solution, the technical capabilities of the product along with all the process change creates some issues. However, we expected that.

My role was as head of identity and access management to work in concert with our cybersecurity manager. It is his team who owned and rolled out the technology to the bank. My responsibility was making sure from an identity and access management process that the procedures had been in place and they satisfied our internal and external audit requirements. I'm more of the process guy, not the technician.

Being in information security, anytime you can sit down with the board of directors, and say "We now have a more secure bank," there is ROI. The reason: The biggest threat to any bank is an insider threat. Now, with our privileged access, we have them logged, recorded, and locked up in a password vault so we know who's making changes, when they're making change, and why they're making changes. This helps greatly improve the security posture of the bank. That's what we use to sell and justify that it was a good investment for the bank.

In addition to Safeguard, we looked at a product by the name of CyberArk and one by the name of BeyondTrust. These were the three products that we brought in for a proof of concept. In the summer of 2018, we made the decision to go with Safeguard. Then, between June and July 2019, we had it up and running, starting pilots and rolling it out accordingly.

When we did our scoring criteria on the three products, all the products were very close. What it came down to was price. We had individuals on the cyber team who had previous experience with the One Identity Privileged Access Management product at that time, which was called TPAM back then. Those individuals had a very good relationship and understanding of that tool. This weighed into our decision as well as cost to go with the One Identity Safeguard solution. It was definitely cheaper than the other two products that we evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is part of our identity and access management product. We use Saviynt as our identity, governance and administrative tool. We certify all privilege accounts on a schedule basis. There is some integration with our identity and access management platform/program at the bank. It allows us to be in a position where we can identify and detect as well as prevent any type of privilege act that's being used as a threat at the bank. The integration was easy. It didn't pose any problems.

We have had a mixed bag regarding the solution’s usability and functionality. We have had some people who said that the tools worked nicely. They checked out their credentials every morning, use them for the better part of the day. We set the duration for eight hours. Once somebody checks out something in the morning, they pretty much use that password for the entire day. For some groups, this created a problem because of the type of work that they do, such as long running processes. We've had some issues where their password expired while a process was still running. We had to work with our IT engineering group to come up with a different type of the duration for their needs. One Identity has been very good at working with us to help us through these use cases.

Understand each use case very carefully and thoroughly. This changes the way someone conducts their business. We had to be cognizant of the impact to our day-to-day operations. If I could do it all over again, I would spend more time understanding the impact of a security tool, such as a privileged access management solution. I think we could have done somethings better than we did.

We haven't started to use the solution’s behavior analytics feature, but as we start building up some data, then that puts us in a position to be able to identify any type of exception or anomalous behavior. We haven't built up enough trending data to leverage that functionality at this time.

We are very happy with the tool. I would rate the solution as an eight (out of 10).

Edouard Camoin - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Information Security Officer at Outscale
Provides all the information that we need for an investigation, but the interface needs more organization
  • "We use the solution’s “transparent mode” feature for privileged sessions. It is very easy because it is only a simple configuration for our users. We don't have to modify our network. We install it, configure it, and it works. So, it is super easy. The rollout for our users is seamless."
  • "The interface is better now, but it still could be improved a lot. It needs more organization, menus, automatic refresh of information, and Web 2.0."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the virtual appliance. We are a cloud company working widely with virtualization. We provide virtual machine to our customers. When we deploy a new solution, we try to use our system to show our customers that it works for them. That is why we are using a virtual appliance which validates the usage.

For now, we are using it for traceability of access inside the platform because we are a certified company: ISO 27001, SecNumCloud, HDS... We use this solution to monitor the session of our administrator and also to capitalize on incidents. When you have an incident in the night and our Level 3 people are working on it, they don't have the time to document all they do on the platform. The main goal is to have the service up as fast as possible. We are now recording the session, and the morning after the incident, we can see the session and understand what has been done to resolve the incident.

We are using the latest version of Safeguard.

How has it helped my organization?

When we are asked to do an investigation for a server, we have all the information that we need. We never have any problems as all the information is available to us.

What is most valuable?

The transparent proxy is the most valuable feature. When you are connecting to a server inside the platform, the user doesn't need to change their habit. They just have to make small configurations to their workstation, then it is transparent for them. Our users like the solution because it's transparent. Users doesn't need to have interaction with 3DS OUTSCALE IT or security team to work as usual. It's interesting for the users because they don't have to think, "I have to note all that I've done during the incident to remember it".

We use the solution’s “transparent mode” feature for privileged sessions. It is very easy because it is only a simple configuration for our users. We don't have to modify our network. We install it, configure it, and it works. So, it is super easy. The rollout for our users is seamless.

The "transparent mode" allows for better visibility. With its monitoring, we can do investigations which are good for us and improve our system.

What needs improvement?

An official HashiCorp Vault connector would be very helpful inside the platform.

SSH implementation is not 100% compatible with standard SSH (openssh). For example : JumpHost.

As a result, some options require manual tunning, and complicated user-side configs, where it could be much simpler

We have been using it for a long time: six years.

It is very stable. We have never had incidents with it. When we lost a connection with our Active Directory, the system continued to work. When we lost the storage on the virtual appliance, we restarted it, then it was fine. Thus, the product is very stable.

One or two people are needed for deployment and maintenance. For the deployment, it's done by the security team for now. However, in the near future, it will be managed by the operations team.

We upgrade about every two months the latest version.

We don't use the scalability. When we need a new appliance, we deploy it inside another network. We don't need scalability for now, but if we grow quickly, we will need to think about it.

We have about 50 users inside the company, including the security team, operations team, infrastructure team, and Level 1 support.

We are using 75 percent of the parallel session unless there is an incident, then we can use all the slots.

I used the technical support once. It was good. I had the answer to my question quickly. I have direct access to the pre-sales team and my account manager. So, I called in and my problem was solved.

Yes but we had to quit it because they didn't have what we needed and it was very expensive.

In the beginning six years ago, we started with a small instance. We used it very simply and learned how to manage it.

With the newest version that we massively deployed, we had one week to know how to install it and how it works. Now, we know how it works very well.

Install is fairly simple, with basic options.

Configuration requires a little explanation on the way it works but is straightforward too.

We deployed it ourselves.

We have seen ROI in terms of time. It's easier for us to investigate incidents, which is helpful. It has improved our performance with investigations. It used to take a month to write an incident. Now, it takes us a week, cutting the time down by a fourth.

Our licensing costs are on a yearly basis.

We evaluated CyberArk, which was pretty good, but it is very expensive. CyberArk's interface was better. Also, CyberArk's login was not so transparent. We chose One Identity because it has a transparent login in interruption in the network.

What other advice do I have?

When you use Safeguard in production, it provides traceability and protection around your platform.

I would rate the solution as a seven (out of 10) because of the interface.

I have seen the future of analytics, and it's very interesting. I hope to have the time to try and learn something about that.

IT Security Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Efficient and stable with excellent technical support
  • "The solution's most valuable features are the efficiency and the quality of the recording."
  • "I would like to see an adjustment with more enterprise architecture. You can buy multiple appliances but you can not fully separate different functions, so scaling might be a bit more complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for managing and monitoring privileged users, both internal and external.

How has it helped my organization?

Gave much more visibility over who is doing what and more granular control over external support engineers.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable features are the efficiency and the quality of the recording.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an adjustment with more enterprise architecture. Currently for SPS (SafeGuard for Privileged Sessions) there is only a single appliance option (both virtual and physical). It can be scaled using a load balancer to handle huge amount of sessions (although the device is quite efficient), but it also means you will need to purchase multiple boxes. It would be beneficial to have segregated modules as an option and you could buy and implement them separately. For example: trap module (proxy), audit module (search interface), storage module (store and encrypt recordings), etc.

I've been using the solution for over three years with multiple customers and installations.

The stability of the solution is good.

If your current architecture is not designed for this, then it can it may be difficult to expand beyond a certain amount. Our current biggest deployment is for thousands of users.

Technical support is brilliant. They are very helpful.

I was using other solutions in a lab environment for some demos and comparisons, but in real practice, I have not integrated other solutions.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. However, to figure out how to use it, a consultant or an integrator for new users is highly advised.

We're integrators for the solution. We help clients implement it.

Yes, I made some comparison on CyberArk, BeyondTrust, SSH and CA.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're an integrator company for this solution.

In terms of advice, I'd say new users should involve the integrator architecture team from the beginning.  From a technical perspective, you need to have discussions with the network team from the beginning.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner and integrator
Head of Information Security at a financial services firm
Enables us to implement encryption protocols across channels
  • "The most unique and valuable features are the upstream and downstream throughput capacities; the Safeguard platform provides agile integration. In actuality, all the features are valuable. They're good, user-friendly."
  • "Our experience with technical support has been disappointing. We require more prompt and faster response times. We require answers to our questions right away but we haven't received that level of support."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for our One Identity Safeguard solution is to optimize security across private accounts, accounts which can be secured upstream and downstream. The solution enables us to implement encryption protocols across channels. It is designed so that depending on the cryptographic case, different policies can be applied in correlation.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't think it's improved our organization internally. I've had to suspend workflows and focus my time and attention on creating technical, instructional, documentation regarding user procedures and practices.

What is most valuable?

The majority of the features offered with this solution are the same as with other similar systems. The most unique and valuable features are the upstream and downstream throughput capacities; the Safeguard platform provides agile integration.

In actuality, all the features are valuable. They're good and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The technical support for this solution needs to be immediate, intuitive, and responsive especially as it refers to supporting ticket submissions and processing.

Furthermore, we've had trouble understanding how certain policy framework applies. I would like to see clearly laid out policies or better support and explanations around policy dynamics.

The stability and downtime of the solution could also be upgraded to include a messaging function which would give users a clear understanding of what's happening without having to navigate to a particular section of the page.

Lastly, I would also like to see the price reduced.

More than five years.

It's very stable. There are about 150 users, mostly administration, currently using this solution in our company. We don't encounter many problems with the system.

I am encountering issues when it comes to the scalability of the solution.

The initial setup was very easy. We followed the given instruction protocol. We also used white papers when necessary for clarification and better understanding. It only took us one month to implement.

We used an integrator for the deployment. It was a good experience.

Setup cost, pricing and licensing are all very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are very pleased with the Safeguard platform feature. You can't find this technology anywhere else.

On a scale from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best, I would give this product a nine rating. If the technical support was better I'd give it a 10 out of 10.

Head of Department at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Supports Linux and the scalability is great

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that it supports the Linux operating system. Also, the transparent mode for privileged sessions is a very good solution.

On a scale of one to ten, the stability is an eight.

The scalability is great.

Technical support is great. We use the case platform.

We didn't switch from another product. Using this solution has been a great decision in helping with our tasks.

Deployment of the solution took two to three months. Our engineers installed it.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product for our industry, which is banking.

Security Consultant at Controlware GmbH
There is a very logical, clear user interface, and the integration of scripts is thoughtfully implemented
  • "It is easy to manage. There is a very logical, clear user interface. Also, the integration of scripts is thoughtfully implemented. Overall, it's a nice product to manage."
  • "The technical support is tremendous."
  • "The high availability function of the box requires a long time to switch over from one appliance to another."
  • "The automated change of the passwords, which is now integrated, could be improved to be more flexible regarding different systems."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for our customers is to monitor and audit external vendors, as well as keep track of internal actions when privileged user accounts are being used to access systems internally.

How has it helped my organization?

For our customers, it's much easier for them to be in line with audits. A lot of our customers work in the medical field, where it is important for them to keep track of external vendors, e.g., maintaining medical appliances inside of a hospital. This solution gives them real confidence that they can keep their customers safe and their data protected.

What is most valuable?

There are a variety of protocols that it supports.

The video-like stream and audit capabilities, in combination with its indexing capabilities to search for critical events quickly, are valuable features.

The transparent mode for privileged sessions is really nice because it keeps the integration quite smooth. Also, users don't have to change the way that they currently are used to working.

What needs improvement?

There are some features which are still missing compared to other competitors. For example, some customers need legacy VPN authentication capabilities.

The overall stability has improved quite a bit throughout the years. The appliances run well, both virtual and physical. The product is pretty good, especially compared to other vendors and products.

Because of the nature of the connections being monitored, you can load balance it quite well. It is easy to shift the load from one appliance to another. However, the high availability function of the box itself requires a long time to switch over from one appliance to another. So, there is room for improvement

The technical support is tremendous. For large projects, we have had some challenges, but we were never left alone by the vendor. Also, in one case for a small customer, One Identity assigned one engineer to help with assessing the AD infrastructure of our customers, which was really helpful.

The install and deployment are quite rapid. For a smaller project, sometimes it only takes us about two to three days to implement and get the policies inline. For larger projects, it's actually also not that long for the appliance itself. The product requires a lot of changes on the management side, how vendors work, and how you need to counsel people how to use it, especially in Germany. Then, they are monitored, which is the quite larger portion of it.

For our implementations in Germany, we implement an explicit model most of the time. Therefore, the transparent mode for privileged sessions has not been used that much in my projects.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the entire portfolio, since it has changed so rapidly. The capabilities have improved quite a bit. You need to make sure not to miss out on any features.

The Approval Anywhere for Privileged Passwords is a really good concept, because it enables admins to do other work, be more flexible, and work from home. However, we don't have any real experience with it yet, as we are looking into it at the moment.

Cedric Jolivet - PeerSpot reviewer
Identity & Access Manager at Reist Telecom Gmbh
We are able to demonstrate what has happened on systems and who did what, but we want to be able to generate CSRs from the interface for certificates
  • "The transparent mode for privileged sessions is one of the best things for customers, because they don't see the system in-between."
  • "The system is easy to manage, as it is not a system that you will change everything all of a sudden. It evolves most of the time with customer requests."
  • "For some users, the physical appliance has been a bit buggy."
  • "We would like to be able to generate certificate signing requests (CSRs) from the interface for certificates."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use One Identity Safeguard for Privileged Sessions (SPS) for managing our customers' access to their critical systems.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to demonstrate what has happened on the systems and who did what, when we have to investigate, in regards to audits using evidence.

What is most valuable?

• Acting as a proxy
  • Session encryption
  • Flexibility of usage

The transparent mode for privileged sessions is one of the best things for customers, because they don't see the system in-between. Thus, it is transparent for them.

What needs improvement?

• We have not yet found the solution to be extensible through cloud-delivered services.
  • Our external indexers are able to integrate with a hardware security module (HSM), which is good. What we have now requested is the integration of HSM with the SPS solution to be able to not have to manage certificates and the private key outside of any tamperproof system.
  • We would like to be able to generate certificate signing requests (CSRs) from the interface for certificates.
  • We would like to be able to manage the lifecycle of the archived audit traits. If they are on the box, the cleanup and archiving policies are applied, as soon as they are archived on the external share, this does not apply. We need our customers to not have to manually delete these archives.
  • From a web interface perspective, we would like to be able to duplicate connections, so we can reorder them.

We have not had a major issues regarding stability once we migrated our users onto the virtual solution. However, for some users, the physical appliance has been a bit buggy.

As of now, we use mainly virtual and have not tested the scalability and high availability, because it is a new thing.

The technical support is good. There has been great improvement to all the knowledge base articles available. Therefore, we are able to find a lot of solutions already when we create support requests.

It takes us a long time to make the people from product management and development to understand our needs, e.g., integrating this product with HSM.

Because we are a service provider, we have to demonstrate that our systems are really tamperproof. We had that experience previously, and now again, with One Identity SPS, as the product fits our needs.

The initial setup is quite simple, not complex. The installation documentation is good, so the installation is okay. You just need to read the documentation, understand how it works, and how it has to be integrated. Once you do your homework, it's quite easy.

We are the integrator for the deployment.

To install and deploy the solution for the customers, we count one day for a workshop with all the people involved: network, business users, IT, support, etc. Then, for the implementation, it can take another one to five days.

It is the life of our customers because it brings a lot of security. So, the return on investment is really on all aspects of compliance, security, and audit.

We implement this solution upon customer request.

What other advice do I have?

Test it and its competitors. You will probably choose SPS.

Both the search functionality and speed have been greatly improved.

We are not using privileged passwords.

IDM Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Extensible authentication framework enables use-case-dependent MFA
  • "The extensible framework for authentication is one of the most valuable features. We use an MFA plug-in and a lot of different factors, depending on what the business use-cases are. And of course, the auditing functionality is also valuable."
  • "Even though we have two nodes, there's no way to do an upgrade without taking everything completely offline. It would be nice if they could improve that."

What is our primary use case?

We use Safeguard for privileged sessions. It's primarily used as a solution for accessing our production environments.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to take an environment where we had several hosts managed by different people and consolidate that into a single, centrally managed solution.

What is most valuable?

We have also found the solution to be extensible through cloud-delivered services. It's worked out well. The SPS instances we use are located on-premise, but we can still utilize them to access resources in the cloud. That's not a problem. We haven't deployed any SPS itself in the cloud, but it works fine for our cloud environments.

What needs improvement?

Feature-wise, right now, it has most of the features that we're looking for. It could improve a bit on the management side of things. One example would be when doing an upgrade. We have a highly-available appliance spare, and even though we have two nodes, there's no way to do an upgrade without taking everything completely offline. It would be nice if they could improve that.

The product has generally been stable. We have had some issues, mainly due to the types of traffic. Our end-users are doing different things through SSH tunnels that were not expected on the appliance. We've been working with support to resolve that.

The product is scalable.

Tech support has been great. They've been responsive and knowledgeable, so we've been happy with them.

It took us about three or four weeks for the initial setup and deploy. Part of that was developing a plug-in for the multi-factor authentication. We were able to do it in a way that wasn't disruptive, with our current infrastructure. At their discretion, the end-users were allowed to move over, one-by-one. After we deployed it, it took about two months for all of the users to actually migrate over to using it.

it_user841344 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The initial setup is very easy

What is our primary use case?

Privileged management.

How has it helped my organization?

Administrators can administrate the privileged accounts. It is a safer way to monitor the administrators.

What is most valuable?

Its hardware and compliance.

More than five years.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

The customer service and technical support are very good.

The initial setup is very easy.

I compared different solutions, like Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, but it needs more marketing.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• The support
  • How long the product has been in the market.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Quest partner.
it_user589470 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Security Engineer
Flexible modes can be integrated into the customer infrastructure and it supports multiple security officers.

What is most valuable?

Flexible modes are easily integrated into the customer infrastructure. It's easy to find needed information and the indexer does a good job.

Secure replays: Balabit SCB supports multiple security officers (something like senior and junior officer), who can encrypt upstream, and downstream flows, with different SSL certificates. For example, one officer can see replays, and another officer can only see replays by pressing on a key.

How has it helped my organization?

When I worked in a bank, it greatly facilitated the control admins and reduced the length of investigations.

What needs improvement?

With release 4f4a, I am pleased with the changes. The developers have spent a lot of time optimizing the interface for the convenience of users and it’s functional. Now, I think the best way to improve it will be to optimize the software, because the software begins to consume more resources (physical).

I have been using Shell Control Box for more than two years.

By the new releases, I see that it uses some more resources, but this time it's not affected anything.

We have not had any scalability issues.

I rate technical support 5/5. They are quick and informative.

I tested many another products, but there was an issue about productivity, which was critical to our choice.

Initial setup was easy. There was step-by-step preinstalled software, which took two minutes.

I think it's individual by owner and product.

We evaluated CyberArk and Splunk.

What other advice do I have?

Develop product functional and implementation methods.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We sell BalaBit products.
it_user598935 - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technology Officer & Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I like the support for many protocols, full OCR indexing and non-agent approach.

What is most valuable?

• Fully transparent for users.
  • Supports many protocols.
  • Full OCR indexing: You can find anything that happened in sessions, including commands, programs opened, etc. Without OCR, you would only be able to find who did which sessions, but not the content of the sessions or what admins have been doing.
  • Non-agent approach: A very important feature that is able to monitor access to devices which are not computers, such as switches, firewalls, or any device which uses SSH, TELNET, HTTPS. You are able to monitor access to the Internet by web browser, because SCB can work as a HTTP/S proxy.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers use it to provide full privileged-access monitoring for external users/administrators, so they are fully compliant and still have easy access to external user’s activity.

What needs improvement?

VMware PCoIP protocol support: Many customers are switching from normal computers/environment to VDI infrastructure and some of them are switching to VMware Horizon that uses PCoIP protocol, which is not supported right now.

Central management for more SCB boxes: If you have many boxes in a customer infrastructure (right now we have one customer of this kind in POC and they will need eight boxes) with the same configuration/purpose, you have to do everything 8x. I know this feature is on the roadmap, but nobody knows when it will be available.

I’ve been using Balabit for six years.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

I give technical support a 4.5/5.

We did not use any previous solutions.

It was super easy to deploy, not complicated, and did not have the hidden Capex that competitors do!

It’s an easy license model; you can choose virtual or hardware appliances.

We evaluated ObserveIT and CyberArk.

What other advice do I have?

Try more functions and use them! It’s a very powerful product; much more complex than all other competitors. But, almost all companies use it on less than 30% of their infrastructure.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Diamond Partner, but my own experience with Balabit and their SCB predates our company.
PreSales Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
It offers four-eye and gateway authentication with a real-time audit capability.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring and controls privileged access to remote server/appliances for RDP/SSH/HTTP/ICA/VNC protocols

Four-eye authentication and gateway authentication with real-time audit capability

Credential storage and user mapping policies

Inband destination selection with DNS resolve/mapping internal resources

Detailed audit search capability into proprietary video stream for all protocols supported with keylog functions

How has it helped my organization?

• Improved security
  • Detailed audits for support/maintenance activities done by admin/technician and third-party engineers
  • Drastically reduced unauthorized and improper use of systems and servers

What needs improvement?

The only improvement would be to manage more concurrent sessions.

I have been using it for four years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have encountered scalability issues. The system needs to be properly analysed before putting it into production. Supported protocols have different needs in terms of computing power, and this directly impacts the number of concurrent sessions that can be managed.

absolutely perfect

Technical support is 10/10, absolutely.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward, but you need to have a pre-defined plan, know how to implement authentication or the authentication store if used, and also how to do network integration.

I don't know about pricing, but licensing is based on concurrent session through SCB.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: i'm working as system integrator, for Balabit products in Italy.
Download our free Privileged Access Management (PAM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about One Identity, CyberArk, WALLIX, and more!
Updated: September 2022