One Identity Safeguard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

One Identity Safeguard is the #5 ranked solution in top User Behavior Analytics - UEBA tools and #7 ranked solution in top Privileged Access Management (PAM) tools. PeerSpot users give One Identity Safeguard an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. One Identity Safeguard is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager: One Identity Safeguard vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. One Identity Safeguard is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
One Identity Safeguard Buyer's Guide

Download the One Identity Safeguard Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is One Identity Safeguard?

One Identity Safeguard is an integrated system that combines a secure, toughened password safe and a session management and monitoring solution with threat detection and analytics into one integrated solution. It stores, manages, records, and analyzes privileged access in a secure manner.

One Identity Safeguard Features

One Identity Safeguard has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Policy-based release control: Seek access and approve privileged passwords and sessions using a secure online browser that supports mobile devices. Depending on your organization's policies, requests can be authorized immediately or require dual/multiple approvals. You can set One Identity Safeguard to match your personalized needs, whether your policies consider the requestor's identity and level of access, the time and day of the request attempt, and/or the specific resource requested. You can also enter reason codes and/or connect to ticketing systems.

• Vault for personal passwords: In a free personal password vault, every one of your employees can keep and generate random passwords for non-federated business accounts. This allows your company to use a sanctioned tool to securely share and retrieve passwords, giving you much-needed security and visibility into your company's accounts.

• Auditing, recording, and replaying entire sessions: All session activity is collected, indexed, and kept in tamper-proof audit trails that can be viewed like a video and searched like a database, down to the keystrokes, mouse movements, and windows viewed. Security teams can search across sessions for certain events and play the recording from the exact point where the search criterion happened. For forensics and compliance purposes, audit trails are encrypted, time-stamped, and cryptographically signed.

• Approval in any location: Approve or refuse requests from anywhere, using One Identity Starling Two-Factor Authentication, without having to connect to a VPN.
  • Instantly on: Safeguard for Privileged Sessions can be implemented in a transparent manner, with no changes to user workflows required. Safeguard, when acting as a proxy gateway, can act as a network router, unseen to both the user and the server. Admins can continue to use their normal client programs and access target servers and systems without disrupting their everyday routine.

• Biometrics of user behavior: Even when performing identical operations like typing or moving a mouse, each person has his or her own unique pattern of behavior. These behavioral characteristics are examined by the Safeguard algorithms. Keystroke dynamics and mouse movement analysis aid in the detection of security breaches while also acting as a continuous biometric authentication system.

• Favorites: Right from the login screen, quickly access the passwords you use the most. You can combine many password requests into a single favorite, allowing you to log into all of your accounts with a single click.

• Discovery options: With host, directory, and network-discovery options, you can quickly find privileged accounts or systems on your network.

Reviews from Real Users

One Identity Safeguard stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its stability and its connection control. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

One PeerSpot reviewer, a Software Solutions Architect at a computer software company, writes, “I have found the most useful feature of One Identity Safeguard to be Privileged Sessions. One Identity Safeguard is a stable solution.” He adds, “I rate One Identity Safeguard a nine out of ten.”

Walid S., Networking and Security Engineer at a tech services company, mentions of the solution, “We deployed it into our company for controlling a client's behavior in our data center. It is very useful to control their connections, such as RDP.”

One Identity Safeguard Customers

Cavium

One Identity Safeguard Video

One Identity Safeguard Pricing Advice

What users are saying about One Identity Safeguard pricing:
  • "Its subscription cost is too much, and sometimes, it is very difficult to pitch the solution to the management for cost approval. If the cost is reduced a little bit, it would be easier. If its cost was less, many other organizations that currently cannot afford it would be able to use this technology. I'm sure many organizations around the globe are having issues with identity management, and it is a very difficult task for IT to manage privileged accounts."
  • "The license is very expensive for us, partly due to inflation and partly because of the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Iranian Rial. We purchased a perpetual license that we've been using up until now, but I believe that we are not going to update it in the future. Instead, we plan to find another third-party to support us with the license, in the sense that we would have access to their license as a shared agreement."
  • "Safeguard is cheaper than CyberArk."
  • "As compared to other products, it is reasonable, but the training sessions are too expensive."
  • One Identity Safeguard Reviews

Manager Engineering at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to set up and operate, amazing reporting capabilities, and helpful for compliance
    • "All the features are promising, but we love the reporting feature because we can get each and every report. That's a major compliance requirement. Its reporting is really amazing, and it has made life a lot easier."
    • "Cost-wise, it is a little bit expensive, which makes it difficult to get management approval. Its price should be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We have more than 1,000 servers or application servers, and we have several layers of teams. We have super admins, system admins, and operations staff, and we also have application vendors using the system. In such a large environment, it was really difficult for us to do identity management on a daily basis. We had new people joining the team, and we also had people leaving. We had to put in additional manpower to monitor these activities and comply with the regulations. That was the main reason we moved to automation with the One Identity solution. We are using their Privileged Account Management solution.

We have virtual appliances. We don't have physical ones.

How has it helped my organization?

We have several data centers located all over the globe. Previously, if someone needed access or certain permissions, we had to manually go to our Active Directory, identify the user, and give permission. We had to do that one by one. When we had hundreds of new joiners, it was a time-consuming activity. Sometimes, this activity would take more than two days. One Identity has made all this easier. Monitoring has become much easier, and I can invest the energy in other things instead of monitoring which user is doing what. It has become a one-console management for us.

For my team, it has reduced the task of monitoring who did what and using which ID by 80%. They only have to do 20% of the work than before.

We are using all of the access features. It is much easier for a new user to adopt this solution. It also works perfectly fine with a VPN.

What is most valuable?

All the features are promising, but we love the reporting feature because we can get each and every report. That's a major compliance requirement. Its reporting is really amazing, and it has made life a lot easier.

Its setup is quick. It is easy to set up and operate. It doesn't matter whether you have a deep IT background or not.

What needs improvement?

In terms of features, I'm completely satisfied with it. I am not expecting any more features. Its cost is the only issue. Everything else is okay.

One Identity Safeguard
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about One Identity Safeguard. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We introduced this product in our organization in 2014.

It is pretty stable.

It is very scalable. We recently increased the number of licenses. Previously, we had a thousand servers, but now, the number has increased. The number of users has also increased. So, we upgraded our system.

We are using it mostly for privileged users, developers, and system administrators. In total, we have around 300 users. We have plans to increase its usage. We have some upcoming projects where we want to use it on a larger basis. We have plans to use it for DevOps users and third-party vendors, but it will take a little bit of time.

We have not integrated the solution with any other parts of the business, such as DevOps, RPA, or cloud targets. We are evolving day by day. We are upgrading our technology, and we have plans to do that in the future.

We had premium support initially, but we don't require that now. We didn't encounter any critical issues. We are using their regular support. I would rate their support a nine out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We were not using another solution previously. Privilege management was a really tough task before the One Identity solution.

It was straightforward. Of course, when you are introducing a new product, you need to do a little bit of research, but the steps were very simple. You don't need much technical knowledge, and you don't need to go so deep to do the configuration. You can just have a look at the setup start guide. Anyone should be able to do it easily.

Our deployment took around six months because we did a few PoC. We also tested it in different system environments before bringing it to the production environment. Out of these six months, we spent almost two months doing the PoC with other products, and then for two months, we put it in the UAT environment or the test environment, and then we brought it into the production environment. So, overall, it took six months for the rollout.

The deployment wasn't disruptive for our privileged users because they were working with the old method while we were implementing it. So, there was no pause during the implementation. Once we completely rolled out One Identity, they started using it.

To start using the solution, you at least need knowledge of the policies and configurations available. You require a little bit of training because one change is going to impact thousands of users.

When we did the deployment, we had a team of about 30 people. Now, we don't have a dedicated team for its maintenance. We have a team of about 15 people doing other activities and managing various technologies, including One Identity.

I have definitely seen an ROI. It is not necessarily in terms of cost. My work has reduced, and I'm able to focus the saved energy or time working on other technologies or implementing new things in other areas of my organization.

We did PoC to identify different solutions. We tried several solutions, but it didn't work out. We did a PoC with the One Identity solution, and it was easy to manage because it helped us to meet all the compliance requirements and do other things. That's why we went with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it if you are looking for a privilege management or identity management solution. If you are having challenges with reporting and compliance, it will certainly be helpful because you will get a lot of details for auditing and monitoring purposes.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It is an amazing product, but its cost needs improvement.

Professional Service Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Offers a highly reliable VPN contact point and solves our password management issues
    • "The first feature I like about One Identity Safeguard is the live contact point for the VPNs. This has been working very well for us, as it's both highly available and reliable."
    • "We currently have a problem with the Active Directory integrations on Windows. Some of our users need to be logged with Active Directory, but we are having communication issues between One Identity and Active Directory. It seems that Active Directory is not well-integrated."

What is our primary use case?

The first time I used One Identity Safeguard was when I was the manager of the infrastructure of Ayendeh Bank, and we are currently using it now at my present company.

Our main use case is in security reviews for all of the change management and incident management services, and we also use it for the VPN connection for PAM. It allows us to review everything that goes on over the working day.

For example, our third-parties who support all of our services, including network services (e.g. Cisco) and our Linux servers, are eligible to connect via the VPN, and through One Identity Safeguard, they are able to make contact with and use the various services.

Our company works alongside various PSPs (Payment Service Providers),
    and our work here is mainly to prepare the software switch for them, and
    to handle the SLA for infrastructure maintenance services. Due to the nature of our work, we also use One Identity Safeguard for on-call and direct administrators whether they are in-house or external to our company. It is, in fact, the main tool for managing access for all the services. And because of that, I'm available for these companies 24/7 all year long.

At present, we have around 17 direct users of One Identity who use it on a daily basis, which includes 10 people from my own department.

What is most valuable?

The second thing I like is the services that let us review all the contacts and take all the passwords from another administrator. These services are very reasonable. For instance, some of the third-parties will leave our company and support, but then fail to relinquish the usernames and passwords. With the security orchestra that One Identity Safeguard provides, this is no longer a problem.

What needs improvement?

We currently have a problem with the Active Directory integrations on Windows. Some of our users need to be logged with Active Directory, but we are having communication issues between One Identity and Active Directory. It seems that Active Directory is not well-integrated.

Apart from that, when we are using the interactive login, such as when logging in and going inside the site for support, we find that we need to repeat the username and password, sometimes even two or three times.

When it comes to suggestions for new features, I would like to see something along the lines of an automated command prevention system. To elaborate, sometimes we will have users who input unsafe commands, and we would like to prevent those commands from being processed, and to be able to identify those users who sent the commands.

I believe some kind of automation, possibly based on AI, would be appropriate for this, and it would help the administrators and managers to more easily prevent these kinds of incidents. Part of my role is to reduce the number of total incidents, and if we had an automated mechanism to prevent unsafe commands from being entered in the first place, it would help a great deal.

I have been using One Identity Safeguard for about six years.

I can say that it is 100% stable because during the past two years we have not had a single problem with stability.

In our company, the scalability is good enough for us at present. In my department, there are ten direct users, and outside my department there are another seven direct users. Perhaps when we increase our customers, we will scale up further.

At present, because of the sanction department for technology in Iran, we cannot use the direct customer support. Instead, we use third-party support. For example, we have a contact point with a company who has branches in Turkey, and they are taking the tickets for Safeguard. Before that, with Balabit, we got responses in less than 24 hours.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Before Safeguard, we were using Balabit. However, Balabit has now been acquired by One Identity.

Another solution that was being used by some of the other companies I consulted for was WALLIX Bastion. Using WALLIX was a really different experience. With One Identity, we have no problems with connections or slow communications in the network, but with WALLIX there were many problems to do with the networking. Sometimes the servers would even crash or hang, but none of these issues have been found in Safeguard. By comparison, Safeguard is much better in terms of performance, networking, and server stability.

There were no real problems with the setup. Regarding the ease of installation, if you have a professional team, then it is easy. But, for example, if it's your first time setting it up as a junior administrator, then it can be quite difficult. I would Safeguard a 3.5 out of 5 in terms of how complex the initial setup is.

We used an in-house team for the implementation, because myself and the other companies we work with have a lot of experience in it. Thus, for us, it was no problem to implement.

The license is very expensive for us, partly due to inflation and partly because of the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Iranian Rial. We purchased a perpetual license that we've been using up until now, but I believe that we are not going to update it in the future. Instead, we plan to find another third-party  to support us with the license, in the sense that we would have access to their license as a shared agreement.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate One Identity Safeguard a nine out of ten.

One Identity Safeguard
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Security Business Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Defines and updates processes and procedures into the security framework of a company
    • "Safeguard can define and update processes and procedures into the security framework of a company, including mobile. It allows us to change the policies and configurations on a mass scale in regards to security."
    • "I just received a question from a customer in regards to a connection with Oracle OID. I tried to integrate Safeguard with the Oracle YAML as well as something else to manage the groups and users from a different system, like AD or LDAP. This one feature could be better. At this moment, the platform system can only use the integration with LDAP or AD. The software for research and development to create a connector to a YAML platform can be very complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage passwords and use for the RDP access.

Our infrastructure is three SPPs and two SPSs. This is across 1,000 users and approximately 500 targets.

How has it helped my organization?

Safeguard can define and update processes and procedures into the security framework of a company, including mobile. It allows us to change the policies and configurations on a mass scale in regards to security.

What is most valuable?

The most interesting thing about this product is it is very easy to implement and configure as well as its usability. Also, for the final user, the work experience doesn't change when using the SPS for the Linux administrator, which is fantastic. You change only a little bit of the connection. Everything else is really easy.

What needs improvement?

I just received a question from a customer in regards to a connection with Oracle OID. I tried to integrate Safeguard with the Oracle YAML as well as something else to manage the groups and users from a different system, like AD or LDAP. This one feature could be better. At this moment, the platform system can only use the integration with LDAP or AD. The software for research and development to create a connector to a YAML platform can be very complicated.

I started using it two years ago.

It is a very stable system. There are no problems when using the platform.

The scalability is fantastic. It is very easy to connect and use the solution, if you need it.

There are two different supports: one for SPS and another for SPP. The technical preparation of the support is very high. They have very quickly given me the solution for a couple of issues that I have seen.

We switched from CyberArk to Safeguard. In order to manage CyberArk, it is a very big effort. The platform is very complex. The management system of Safeguard is very easy. Also, the configuration for the targeted user is easier in Safeguard rather than CyberArk. Lastly, the cost of CyberArk's licensing is very expensive.

We try to understand what the customer needs in order to fit the solution for what they want, then we plan all the activities based on that.

We can deploy the system in a couple of days, then the system is up and running. The next step is importing the whole system. The time frame of this depends on many targets the customer has, but it doesn't take too long.

I work at a system integrator, designing and implementing the solution for our customers. I think our customers see a return of the investment using this solution.

Safeguard is cheaper than CyberArk.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. There is no limit to its usage in a company, e.g., IT or financial.

Check the basic rules in the documentation because the solution is easy to use.

I would rate the solution as 10 out of 10.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: System Integrator
    Software Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Simple deployment, responsive support, and scalable
    • "I have found the most useful feature of One Identity Safeguard to be Privileged Sessions."
    • "When we compare One Identity Safeguard with Cyberark, we know CyberArk has other tools or other features that are more complex and more useful for the customers. For example, I have one customer that wants to elevate the permission that is available in CyberArk."

What is most valuable?

I have found the most useful feature of One Identity Safeguard to be Privileged Sessions.

What needs improvement?

When we compare One Identity Safeguard with Cyberark, we know CyberArk has other tools or other features that are more complex and more useful for the customers. For example, I have one customer that wants to elevate the permission that is available in CyberArk.

Another example is, I have one potential customer that wants to use some feature that is available only in CyberArk. The scenario is one user request a patient, however, that user doesn't have the permissions. In that request, he wants to request more permissions elevation and more rights under the live connection. This can be done in CyberArk and not in One Identity Safeguard.

We need to allow more permissions for the user who requests access for the previous account in a live connection.

CyberArk gives stronger features for safeguarding at this moment.

I have been using One Identity Safeguard for approximately one year.

One Identity Safeguard is a stable solution.

I have found One Identity Safeguard to be scalable.

I have contacted support. I can create tickets for support and in approximately one hour, I have a response from the support. They are very quick.

I have previously used Cyberark.

The initial setup of One Identity Safeguard was simple. In one week we can be ready to fully operate.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is to do the implementation slowly and concentrate.

I rate One Identity Safeguard a nine out of ten.

Walid Semrani - PeerSpot reviewer
    Networking and Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reasonable price, easy to deploy, and useful for session management
    • "We deployed it into our company for controlling a client's behavior in our data center. It is very useful to control their connections, such as RDP."
    • "We can't review or audit HTTP and HTTPS. This functionality should be added so that we can review and audit HTTP and HTTPS."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for controlling the client sessions into our data center.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I requested for an evaluation license, but no one responded to me.

We can't review or audit HTTP and HTTPS. This functionality should be added so that we can review and audit HTTP and HTTPS.

I have been using this solution for less than one year.

It is stable.

It is scalable. It scales well in our company.

I requested them for an evaluation license, but no one responded to me. They didn't give me an evaluation license.

I have some knowledge of Wallix. It is a competitor of One Identity. They have similar functionalities, but I didn't explore it too much.

It was easy. There were no problems. It is easy to navigate through the web interface.

As compared to other products, it is reasonable, but the training sessions are too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't used other products, but I would highly recommend One Identity SPS.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
    Mahfoudh Bousaidi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network & Security Engineer at Onetechpro dz
    It has the ability to record and retrieve in the full-video format

What is our primary use case?

We use Safeguard to manage users when the client wants to record all discussions on an LDAP. The solution is deployed on a VMware ESXI because all our clients don't want a physical appliance. We average about 300 to 500 connections to Safeguard.

What is most valuable?

Safeguard has the ability to record and retrieve in the full-video format.

What needs improvement?

We have issues using Safeguard to record http/https connection in a video formt. Currently, they don't have a mechanism to record this type of connection.

We've been working with One Identity Safeguard for about eight months. I work as an integrator for solutions like PAM and One Identity. We make alterations and integrate the solution.

We run One Identity Safeguard on a VM, so we can create as many as we need.

I had an issue about a week ago because we were migrating from an old VM to a new one. I opened a ticket, and they responded, but I didn't get a solution.

We set up a VM appliance and configured it then deployed the solution. The typical time for deployment and configuration is about three to five days.

What other advice do I have?

I rate One Identity Safeguard eight out of 10. It's an excellent solution and a perfect fit for our use case.

MohamedEladawy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Security Lead at Salam Technology
    Scalable, reliable, and simple implementation

What is our primary use case?

One Identity Safeguard is used by administrators to access their devices. They will log in using identity management in order to secure the administrator's login.

What needs improvement?

One Identity Safeguard can improve by having more integration with multiple devices.

I have been using One Identity Safeguard for approximately one year.

I have found One Identity Safeguard to be stable.

The scalability of One Identity Safeguard is good, we can add multiple devices.

We have approximately 40 administrates using this solution in my organization.

We plan to increase usage in the future.

I have not contacted support.

The initial installation was simple.

The full deployment took approximately a couple of months. Not because of the One Identity Safeguard, but because of us, we were busy doing other projects in parallel.

We used a third-party vendor for the implementation and we had a good experience with them.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is One Identity Safeguard is a must to have because it's part of the cybersecurity framework, such as Nest ISO. We should have an identity management solution to manage the whole identity, such as privileged users.

I rate One Identity Safeguard an eight out of ten.

Download our free One Identity Safeguard Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022