IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Office 365 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Office 365 is #3 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms. PeerSpot users give Office 365 an average rating of 8 out of 10. Office 365 is most commonly compared to Atlassian Confluence: Office 365 vs Atlassian Confluence. Office 365 is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
Office 365 Buyer's Guide

Download the Office 365 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Office 365?

Office 365 is more than just Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. It provides powerful services like business-class email, online storage, and teamwork solutions that you can access from anywhere. Bring teams and resources together with solutions like Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business that make working together more productive and enjoyable regardless of where participants are located. Easily implement security and privacy controls to help protect business data and devices against malicious threats and help you meet your compliance obligations. Automatic updates ensure your employees will always have the latest features and security updates.

Office 365 was previously known as Microsoft Office 365, Office 365 Enterprise, Office 365 Enterprise E1, Office 365 Enterprise E3, Office 365 Enterprise E5, Office 365 ProPlus, Office 365 Business, Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 F1.

Office 365 Customers

Me & the Bees Lemonade

Office 365 Video

Office 365 Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Office 365 pricing:
  • "Most of the time, we purchase Microsoft Exchange licenses, which are less expensive and provide only an email platform and 50 gigabytes of email storage for free."
  • "The pricing is high and has actually caused us to limit the number of licenses we purchase due to budgeting."
  • "I would rate the solution 3 out of 5 for the price. I think Microsoft presents a good solution concerning the price."
  • Office 365 Reviews

Law Biddle - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President IT Services at Allegient Defense Inc
    Great vulnerability insights, offers very impressive cash savings, and offers great information security tools
    • "There are all sorts of really good tools for use on the information security side that allow us to make sure that our people are doing business and doing business right."
    • "It seems like every other week when we log into the administrative portals, it doesn't matter which one, it could be the active directory portal, it could be the exchange admin center or SharePoint admin center, it seems like Microsoft is consistently updating with new versions of the admin centers, which can be frustrating."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Microsoft Defender for endpoints. We went that route as we did have an IT service provider, however, they were very expensive. When we did a corporate merge at the beginning of 2019, we decided that we were going to go to Office 365 and do a one-stop-shop. We didn't want to have the on-prem equipment to maintain.  In our last solution, we were limited as to what we could do for, for example, email addresses for the entire company, which were about 80 people. It was very costly to do that. Therefore, we only had our program managers and our site leads with email addresses.When we decided to come back over to the corporate side, we wanted to keep the same flexibility and be able to have access to Microsoft for their tech solutions or their tech assistance, depending on what we needed. It gave us that flexibility and we were able to run the company on basically two IT people rather than paying $3,000 to $4,000 a month for IT services from other vendors, such as like Ntiva or something like that.

What is most valuable?

We really like SharePoint, the Office 365 for endpoints. We're still messing around with that. We've only had that for about six weeks of play. It was good as it really started to give me insight as to what vulnerabilities I had out there on my company-owned machines. That's my most valuable tool right now due to the fact that I can not only monitor the health of the machines but also run through that same endpoint protection. I have access to cyber analysis and security testing for all my employees. I can send out test malware emails or some sort of phishing attempt emails for my entire company all in one fell swoop. I can keep a monitor on who passed, who failed, who's taken the required training, et cetera. The security compliance center that comes with that and it helps us a lot. There are all sorts of really good tools for use on the information security side that allow us to make sure that our people are doing business and doing business right. With our whole tenant, we had a little over a terabyte of storage just for our SharePoint. Then, each individual gets a terabyte of storage for their OneDrive. It's really nice being able to not have to worry about monitoring the storage. I mean, we do go in and we do our storage monitoring about once a quarter just to make sure that we're not approaching any limits. For example, in my account, I'm about halfway through my limit because I'm the IT guy. I've got software backups. I've got all sorts of equipment backups. It's nice to have the capability to maintain that kind of storage without having to go out and purchase it. It comes out of the box, for the company.

What needs improvement?

It seems like every other week when we log into the administrative portals, it doesn't matter which one, it could be the active directory portal, it could be the exchange admin center or SharePoint admin center, it seems like Microsoft is consistently updating with new versions of the admin centers, which can be frustrating.This is due to the fact that, if you haven't been on in a while, sometimes it takes a good hour or two to reorient yourself -especially when you're trying to find a setting. We went through an assessment about four months ago and I had the hardest time finding certain settings in my baselines. Just being able to demonstrate something as simple as an audit log, when they move things around, can be challenging. It seems like at least once or twice a month. It gets a little confusing.On the endpoint protection side, they've done a merge with both our security center and their compliance center. You can do multiple things from doing the same thing, however, for multiple admin sites. You get used to like one and then it takes you to another. It gets a little cumbersome or confusing as the outlays are different, the menus are a little bit different. That's one of my biggest gripes about it.Sometimes, if we have a user that is doing some work from home, for example, and they're not on their corporate laptop and they're on their regular laptop, or vice versa, and they have like a personal Office 365 license, they sometimes conflict with each other, which then puts the person into an authentication loop, which basically means they can't access their stuff properly. We're running into that problem, actually, with one of our users right now.For some reason, there were three different Office products that were loaded on there. A regular Office 365, Office 365 Business, and then Office 365 Enterprise. How all three of them got on there, we're not quite sure. He can open up some of his documents normally that are stored on his machine from the OneDrive, yet, when they try to open up documents that are in SharePoint, every now and then, depending on the updates that are pushed out by Microsoft, they can't open up the documents. At that point, you kind of like have to uninstall or do an online repair of the Microsoft Office itself, and then re-install it.Due to this issue, you're losing productivity time. This guy just happens to be our corporate recruiter. We're losing time with him being able to look at resumes and stuff like that, or look at qualifications or statements of work and stuff like that.We've been working for about two hours and yeah, I mean, he can download the document and open it up, but he can't actually open it up while it's in SharePoint. When you don't have that, when you lose that capability, especially like when they're working on proposals and when time is of the essence, it can become a big issue.  Sometimes when the software pushes security patches it breaks, Windows wide.

We started off with the Office 365 GCC High cloud government cloud solution. We had certain types of data that warranted certain levels of protection. Once we migrated all that data over to the government, we went through a name change, and then came out of that solution and into the corporate Office 365 about this time last year. Overall, we've been working in Office 365 for about three years now, at different levels.
    Office 365
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Office 365. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is quite stable. I'd rate it at 95%.

The scalability is amazing. It's very easy to expand if you need it to.

The technical support is very good. They are helpful and responsive.

We did the setup in a phased approach, where we went out and did our research and then once the tenant was assigned to us, we went through, and built everything. As we got close to releasing, we send out a notification to all of our users saying, "Okay, effective this date, this is what the new processes are going to be." We sent them out in the documentation. However, first, we had to do the research and get everybody together.We had done a corporate merger. We were merging two companies together. My company had one email system, while the other company had another email system. That's why we had to go through all of the procedures for migrating the other company over. We had to go through all the procedures on how to migrate their data from the Ntiva server, which had all the personal drives. We had to have all that stuff in place for the users. We did our migration from GCC High over to the commercial side and then, once we were all set up and ready to go, we initiated cutoff dates when we needed to stop using the previous portal.  We had spent probably about two to two and a half months setting up the backend to get Intune in place and to get all of the data properly cataloged.  We're still in the process of getting things set up as there are new technologies that come out or changes to the admin sites. We're implementing those changes and we're going through making whatever adjustments we need to make. Now that we've got the endpoint protection and more monitoring, we're seeing how that's going.One of the drawbacks that we found out was that when we were putting out new policies to the machines, each machine operator actually reacted a little bit differently due to the fact that we did have a couple of Windows machines and a couple of Macs that we did our testing on. Once we felt that we were good, we pushed everybody out, pushed all the settings out to the security groups that we'd set up. Things didn't go as smoothly as we'd anticipated as some machines went flawlessly and some machines were rebooting constantly as they were processing stuff. It was interrupting people during their workday. It works great in dev tests, however, as soon as you put it into production, the reactions are totally different. Overall, it was definitely a successful migration with just a couple of challenges.  One of the big benefits of it was that it really made us understand the system a lot better. We had some older machines. It made me realize, okay, this machine is way outdated. We need to update this machine. We just had two people that handled the deployment process.

We used a reseller that helped us with the implementation and setting up the SLAs. Law They took over our entire license structure. Now, we pay them instead of Microsoft.

The ROI is basically to have the peace of mind and the service level agreements in place on the security side, on the infrastructure side, from Microsoft and to know that they're doing their due diligence to make sure that all of the data is protected. They're very good about sending out notifications when they have issues going on, depending on what the suite is. If it's the entire Microsoft 365 suite or if it's SharePoint, if it's Exchange, if it's Intune and stuff like that, they're very good about letting us know. That way, I can evaluate it and still let my teams know when there's a problem. Then, they know to wait it out rather than barrage us with phone calls and, "Hey, I can't do this. I can't do that."The ease of access, basically, to have almost everything in a one-stop shop, is definitely a good return on the investment as well. Not having to have the on-prem servers, not having to worry about making sure my servers are up to date or my certificates are all up to date and purchased is a great ROI. It's all kind of built-in.  I also have the flexibility to expand services through Azure to do certain things. For example, if I wanted to set up a firewall, I can go in, quickly provision a firewall, and get it configured. That allows my company to be more secure. That saves me and the company time from having to go out and purchase equipment. It's all there right in the infrastructure stack.

We're a hybrid between Microsoft 365 Business Premium and Business Basic, depending on where a person stands in the company. Our headquarters staff is all Business Premium, while the rest of our staff members who work on government sites are set up for Business Basic because we're just providing them with email services. The headquarters staff members who have a laptop issued out to them have a Premium license. And we have Defender for Endpoint specifically for our corporate-owned devices. If we want to expand certain capabilities, we do have to purchase some additional licensing. When we first started on the commercial side, we went directly to Microsoft and we had full control over all of our licensing. Then, when we got into certain things, like the endpoint protection license, we had to go through a third-party reseller for that. They, in turn, had to take over our whole licensing structure. We just did that last month, however, it's nice due to the fact that they do offer a 10% discount.They also offer a one-stop shop, where if we, as the administrators run into some problems, we can go directly to them. They can either open a ticket with Microsoft on our behalf, or they have staff on-site that can help, so then that way I'm not at the mercy for Microsoft to give me a callback.They also do have certain solutions where if they have to get remote into the machine, for whatever reason, we have to pay them a little bit of extra money to do that. We haven't had to do that part yet, however, it's nice to know that it's there as there are some times where it's just easier to have our employees reach out to them directly. Right now, we're still doing it on our own. That's one of the downfalls of it - that for smaller companies we have to go through a third-party vendor.

We were looking at Amazon Web Services as a viable solution. However, Office 365 at the time was the way to go. It was cheaper. It was basically a one-stop shop, whereas Amazon Web Services was a pay-as-you-go arrangement. They also didn't have the flexibility that we were looking for. Plus, the cost for the data in and data out was quite substantial when you look at the grand scheme of things. We had to not only provide a workstation for the people to work on, but we also had to create a virtual workstation for them to work on. Therefore, we would have been basically paying twice.That was kind of what we were running into with our other service provider, Ntiva. We were paying for the virtual machines as well as the equipment for the people to do their work on. What was nice about 365 was that we could provide them a license and, with that license they would have access to whatever our tenant offered as far as collaborative solutions such as SharePoint, OneDrive, the whole Office suite, et cetera.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Office 365 shop. We do all of our stuff through Azure. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. If they were better on the administrative side, I'd likely rate them at a perfect ten out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Minos Pitsillides - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Director at IT-Flow ltd
    Reseller
    Excellent technical support, easy to install, but the price, while affordable, could be improved
    • "As an email provider, I believe Office 365 is the best email provider."
    • "It would be a fantastic opportunity if their solution could be used in combination with VoIP software, allowing you to combine VoIP software and Office 365 on a single platform."

What is our primary use case?

Office 365 is used for business. We open accounts for startups and existing businesses, we primarily use Office 365 as an email platform. This is essentially what we're doing with Office 365.

What is most valuable?

As an email provider, I believe Office 365 is the best email provider.

They are very good at what they do. That is why Office 365 has more than 4 billion users. Based on the market, I believe that is one of the best solutions.

What needs improvement?

Based on my experience and the tasks that I handle, for my customers, I didn't notice that there is any need for improvement.

I have been working with Office 365 for three years.

To be honest, in the past I used G Suite and other email providers that, use an IMAP or POP3 protocol. However, my customers were always complaining about poor email deliverability. They may occasionally send spam emails, but with Office 365, I don't have to deal with such issues. As a result, they're very good at what they do. As I previously stated, I strongly recommend it.

Office 365 is scalable, but it is dependent on the situation. We don't have a problem with it from an organizational standpoint. They started with 100 employees and then added another 500 after six months, for a total of 600 employees. The setup of new users, new emails, and new applications to be assigned to the new users is straightforward.

They also provide the PowerShell command, which they provided more, development type, like, for example, you can create users, not manually, but through a script that can create users, for example, 100 users in two, three minutes, and you don't do it manually. They're fantastic.

My portfolio contains approximately 50 companies. Office 365 is our primary platform for the 50 companies. I only have one on G Suite, and the majority of them will be migrating from G Suite to 365 in the coming month.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate their performance a nine. However, you may encounter users who are just getting started and require a little more time to resolve the issue. But their assistance is quite efficient and simple.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

One of my teachers from the university suggested I do the course to have an official engineer certificate in Office 365. I went to the university, and I did the course, which was a one-month course. Once I learned Office 365, I was able to provide more security and more stability not only, for the company, but as well, when I was going to the interview, I was providing tables and show them that I know and I'm an official engineer for this solution. Through the courses and learning that I received at the university for Office 365 on the technical side, I discovered that there are many things that you can do with the platform. For the first time, I like them. I told myself, "I have to stop using other email platforms and start using Office 365." This is one of the reasons I participated in the movement.

The initial setup is straightforward. You simply purchase a domain and assign it to the platform. If your domain is registered with one of the hosting platforms, such as GoDaddy, they have integration with GoDaddy, you can use it at the same time. With your GoDaddy login information, the process is going very smoothly. I didn't notice any difficulties with the setup.

In general, we buy licenses depending on the needs of the client. Most of the time, we purchase Microsoft Exchange licenses, which are less expensive and provide only an email platform and 50 gigabytes of email storage for free.

You can begin for as little as 5 Euros per month. You will receive a discount if you choose a yearly plan. Then, depending on what license you require, it is paid 10 Euro, 12, 16, or 20 Euro, depending on how much you require. However, if you choose a yearly plan, you will receive a discount.

In terms of pricing, I would rate them a three out of five. They are not expensive, but they are not cheap. When comparing the solution to G Suite, one of their main competitors, they are priced the same. If it is also other competitors, they are very inexpensive. I can tell you that charging 5 Euros per month for an email is a small amount.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend this solution. they are very good at what they do.

I work as a reseller. I am unable to be a partner. It's similar to having one in each country. For example, we charge most of the sales and pay something to Microsoft. Then, in cycles. As an authorized seller, I'm here to help.

The advice I would give them is to go with the best plan, which is both expensive and not cheap. Then they can start using it a little bit to see how the platform works, and then they can go to the Microsoft site and see how scalable the email as a mail platform is.

I would rate Office 365 a five out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Office 365
    June 2022
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Girish Vijay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Deputy Manager IT at Carl Bechem Lubricants India Pvt Ltd
    The control aspects are top-notch, it could email quarantine details, block, and allow domains
    • "Quarantine email alerts to users to allow the email to their inbox (tricky but handy) - tricky if one doesn't have third-party email security, handy if one has got good third party email security)."
    • "Data protection and email security are almost the same for all the organizations, irrespective of their segment (SMB or enterprises), with standard subscription at least basic Data loss prevention and Advance threat protection can be enabled for SMB segments, it is available in enterprise version / Premium versions."

What is our primary use case?

Email, Instant Messaging with Teams, Teams Video Conference & Mobile Outlook Application.

Office 365 works very well with Microsoft Windows ECO system without any friction. Microsoft Teams video conference is a very good tool to have instant or scheduled video conferences, the quality of the video and audio is excellent but requires good internet bandwidth. As an email Admin, control aspects are top-notch, it could email quarantine details, block, allow domains, etc. especially Microsoft email filters (Spam, Malware, etc) with a basic standard subscription are on par with leaders in Email filters (Like Symantec, Barracuda, Cisco). These features are really handy for small and medium organizations. Outlook configuration for receiving and sending emails is very simple.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been struggling with quarantine email details, with office 365 as an admin, with an easy interface, we could able to trace which are all the emails are in quarantine, sometimes Genuine emails also will get blocked and quarantine, with trace option we can easily find the quarantined email and can allow the same to deliver it to recipients. IP Blocklists and country-wise, language-wise blocklist or allow list can be enabled to have better email security controls. Additional features like audit logs, message trace (delivered or failed to send or receive) are handy for IT admin personnel. And this solution can be easily connected with the help of Microsoft connectors to third-party cloud partners like Symantec, Sophos, barracuda, or Cisco email security. Last but not least exceptional channel partner and Microsoft services, based on the subscription services will be honored (like phone/email/remote, etc.)

What is most valuable?

1. Admin Console, control on allow, block, and quarantine list -  always top feature as an admin.

2. Strong sharing control options in One drive & Share points.

3. Microsoft Teams (instant message or audio or video conference with excellent quality).

4. Easy integration with Microsoft Windows environment.

5. Outlook is or was an all-time favorite email application for most of the users, IMAP or Exchange configuration for sending and receiving emails are very easy and frictionless.

6. Outlook is capable of integrating multiple calendars and it can enable add ons like Webex/go-to-meeting/teams/team viewer etc...

7. Seamless integration with third-party partners for email security aspects.

8. Quarantine email alerts to users to allow the email to their inbox (tricky but handy) - tricky if one doesn't have third-party email security, handy if one has got good third party email security).

What needs improvement?

Data protection and email security are almost the same for all the organizations, irrespective of their segment (SMB or enterprises), with standard subscription at least basic Data loss prevention and Advance threat protection can be enabled for SMB segments, it is available in enterprise version / Premium versions. For basic business subscriptions, Microsoft can think of providing PC and mobile management features to enable good security for data in different devices (It comes with additional cost). Overall Microsoft can think of providing DLP and ATP (at least some basic) options to Small and Medium organizations (Its already available for premium and enterprise customers).

I have been using Office 365 for two months.

Microsoft product works very well with the Microsoft Windows environment. (It could be windows 10/windows 7/Office 2019,2016,2013), works well with Mac Environment with Outlook as an email application.

Scalability is not at all a problem when you use Microsoft products.

Excellent.

We were using IBM Smart Cloud Notes (IBM Verse). Switch because of IBM Email solutions migrated to HCL technologies, the cost of subscriptions are very high with external data centers with disaster recovery. So thought of switch over to Microsoft (Since Microsoft is a reliable player in the globe).

Very easy, no third party support is required. Microsoft services team will definitely help you in this with a single service request (at least the basic setup).

We have done the deployment with an internal team.

Maximum two months with the features or products like Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint (these are bundled with Basic business subscription) that's a great move from Microsoft.

Pricing and licensing are not an issue with Microsoft - they offer good prices for any subscription. Migrating from other solutions like IBM Domino (NSF format emails) is tricky because Microsoft outlook only accepts *.PST (Windows) or *.OLM (Mac Book) converted emails to have a backup of your older emails or till the last email before the switch over to Microsoft email solution.

We have evaluated HCL & Google Suite.

What other advice do I have?

Overall excellent product with great features, consider small and medium businesses to have at least basic ATP and DLP features.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Head of Solutions Delivery (Systems) at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
    A great all-in-one solution that's stable and has a straightforward setup
    • "It's nice that it's an all-in-one solution and everything is all in one place."
    • "The one big problem with the solution is if you are presenting in Teams and someone puts their hand up, you don't get a notification. If you are running a meeting and just presenting you don't know that people have their hands up and want to ask a question."

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for collaboration across teams. We use it to collaborate either via email or we use Teams quite a lot. For all of our meetings, we are now using Teams. Then we use the planner boards and things in Teams as well for keeping track of the work that we need to do.

What is most valuable?

It's nice that it's an all-in-one solution and everything is all in one place.

You can have your meetings, your meeting history, you can record meetings, you've got a place for meeting notes, you can create your task board, or have planner boards, or you can use other tools like Trello within Teams.

Just the integration that it gives allows us a lot of different other platforms in basically one place, and it's good to have everything at our fingertips if and when we need it.

What needs improvement?

The one big problem with the solution is if you are presenting in Teams and someone puts their hand up, you don't get a notification. If you are running a meeting and just presenting you don't know that people have their hands up and want to ask a question.

What I don't like is that not all of the capabilities exist on a chat. You have to have a Teams channel to use, for example, a planner. It would be nice if I could still use a planner board on a chat.

We've been using the solution for more than a year.

The stability of the solution is very good. We use it extensively and have run big meetings with lots of people. It has never crashed or froze on us. There aren't bugs or glitches. We've been quite satisfied with it.

In terms of scalability, we haven't had any issues. We've been using it quite heavily over the last couple of months with lots and lots of people running different meetings at the same time, and lots of people in a single meeting. We haven't had any issues so far in terms of scaling the solution in that sense.

We've got probably about 5,000 people in our organization using it and they vary from technical IT teams to our business unit is across different areas, like marketing, finance, HR, etc. Pretty much the whole organization is using it. I don't think we could possibly increase usage at this point as it's already so pervasive in our organization. That said, we have no plans to move away from it.

If we do have issues, we engage it with our internal support and they would then reach out to the third party support. Therefore, I don't know what that support looks like.

We still use Office, or Outlook, for emails. Previously we used that and then we used Slack for collaboration instead of Teams.

Teams obviously has more integration with other tools. Slack had the chat capability and it allowed us to have meetings, however, it didn't record meetings and it didn't have a meeting history section. You weren't able to see everyone in the meeting. Again, you didn't have the planner boards and all the other widgets that you can integrate with from a Team's point of view. Teams is more usable and has a lot more features. It's just one place where everything's captured. When we'd use Slack and we'd use Trello, they were separate tools, and information was in two different places. Teams basically gives you Slack and Trello together, along with so many other things.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It is very straightforward, in my opinion.

Our central team rolled it out, therefore I wasn't part of the deployment process. I'm not sure how long it took to roll everything out.

I'm not sure how many people are needed to maintain the solution.

I do know our central team rolled it out, however, I'm not sure if we brought on any outside help.

I'm not sure how much our organization pays for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We do not have a partnership with Microsoft.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Michael Ndwiga - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Officer at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    A good, complete and secure suite of products for standard business tasks
    • "The products are quite simple for the end-users to use, the up-time is very good, the product is practically maintenance-free, and the multi-layer security is excellent from the security standpoint."
    • "The online applications have limited functionality compared to the local applications."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the product is for performing office tasks like word processing for critical business staff. I work with the product mostly from the administrative side but also have experience using the product itself.

How has it helped my organization?

Email transmission has greatly improved since we migrated to office 365 , collaboration with SharePoint and Teams  has increased users productivity, downtime is minimal and I.T management is very minimal hence we can concentrate on other I.T tasks.

What is most valuable?

The thing I have found most valuable is that the product is quite simple for end-user so there is not much reason to use the product support. The support for users is good and adapting the product from the user's perspective is quite easy.

The uptime of the solution is quite good, I can say it has about 98 to 99% uptime.

The product is also easy from the standpoint of administration, especially for the IT team. We have good control over who has access to the program components and what parts they can use. In terms of the IT team, it makes our work quite easy. We do not need to spend too much time monitoring the solution because it is quite good.

Security-wise, it is also good. There is multi-layer authentication which I think is good from a security standpoint.

And finally, the reporting is also good.

What needs improvement?

One part of the suite that can be improved is their online applications. Those are quite limited compared to the desktop applications and this can make them more difficult to use. That is one area of improvement that Microsoft should address.

The cost is a big challenge. It is really quite expensive and puts quite a strain on our budget. Because of that, we have to set a limitation on the use of the online application and the distribution of user licenses. If the pricing were more friendly, we might want to get more people using the product.

The pricing is really the key feature that holds us back from making more and better use of the product.

I have been using the product for about one year.

The product is very stable. We only have very rare issues when something goes wrong.

The scalability of Office 365 is quite good. The cost of the licenses is the main issue when it comes to scalability, not the product itself. We have to try to balance the number of licenses according to the most critical users.

We do plan to increase usage over time since the company will always grow. As the number of critical users increases, we will need to purchase more licenses.

So there is the possibility of changing the number of licenses we are using and that would be all we need to do to scale usage with some very minor attention to security issues.

The technical support is good. Probably the best thing about tech support is that we do not need to be involved with them because the product is stable.

We previously used on-premise Exchange server , the solution was good but administration of the solution was very time consuming , security was a key concern and downtime was very frequent.

The initial setup was okay. It was not too complex, but it also was not as straightforward as it might have been.

We implemented through a Microsoft vendor and their expertise is very good.

We find that the licensing costs are high enough that it makes us restrict the number of users in our organization.

We evaluated G-Suite

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others who are looking into implementing Office 365 is that this solution is a good one for anybody needing a scalable, stable solution with good uptime.

It is virtually a worry-free solution especially from the standpoint of IT administrators.

On the scale from one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate this product as a nine-out-of-ten. I would rate OneDrive as a nine as well.

Hybrid Cloud
    Executive Director at Onsearch
    Presents information in a clear way for users and provides a good ERP for services but not for logic systems
    • "The way the ERP presents information for the user is very good."
    • "Normally, they have a way to work with specific developments, and I think they shouldn't allow the partners to make some changes they have made. When I have a client with a lot of changes, we have a problem with that because there aren't rules to develop inside the ERP, so you can do anything."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the new version, which they launched at the beginning of this year in Portugal. Business Central is the new version of the ERP for Microsoft.

The solution can be deployed on a public cloud and on-premises.

My company implements the solution, but the clients I do projects for usually have 50-60 users.

What is most valuable?

The way the ERP presents information for the user is very good.

What needs improvement?

I'm working with logistics a lot, and I'm seeing that the Business Center is not so good because I've been working in IT since 1984, so I have some experience in logistic systems. Three years ago, I had a project with a big client here in Portugal and I started using Microsoft Navision, which is the old version of Microsoft ERP. Now we are changing to Business Center, but it's not very good.

I think Office 365 is a good ERP for services but not so good for businesses, for industries, or for logistic systems. Those areas could be improved.

I'm not happy with how Microsoft Office 365 works. Normally, they have a way to work with specific developments, and I think they shouldn't allow the partners to make some changes they have made. When I have a client with a lot of changes, we have a problem with that because there aren't rules to develop inside the ERP, so you can do anything. I think that's not a good point.

I think SAP is very well prepared for that compared to Microsoft because it has the rules that departments have to follow. So, there should be more rules regarding restrictions for partners.

Procurement could also be improved.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

The scalability depends on the service area. For example, the scalability is good for the public sector, banks, and companies that are doing projects. For businesses like that, it's very useful. But for industrial and logic sectors, it's not scalable.

There are some simple ERPs that are much better than Microsoft Navision and Business Center. For scalability, SAP is much more powerful than Microsoft.

I would rate technical support 4 out of 5.

I worked with SAP for three years. For maybe 15 years, I worked with another Portuguese ERP.

I switched to Microsoft because I started working for a multinational company. The problem is that for software that is made locally in Portugal, if you start a project with a company, you are stuck with that company. You can't change solutions, so you have a big investment in that kind of process.

I think it's better to work with international products, because if you don't like that partner, you can switch to another partner. I think that is the best reason for one company to choose software that is implemented with lots of tech companies, because you can change and use another company.

Initial setup is very easy.

Some clients are starting to choose to pay monthly, and I think it's easier for them to understand the impact of the cost to the company.

I would rate the solution 3 out of 5 for the price. I think Microsoft presents a good solution concerning the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 5 out of 10.

For someone who wants to implement this solution, my advice is to ask your company to study the business and the needs of the project really well before choosing it.

When a company wants to buy a solution, they usually don't understand what they want. They know they have some reasons to change or buy a new solution, but normally they are not very well prepared for a change. I think companies should make a study and then choose the best solution for their company's needs.

Hybrid Cloud
    Mostafa  - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at Suez Canal Insurance
    Review about Office 365 Enterprise

Office 365 is one of my most used applications. I love the way that I can leverage the Cloud capabilities of my Office applications to access from anywhere. I have access from my phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc., and it is always easy. Outlook is nice when I do not have access to laptop or phone (rare), and One Drive is my file collaboration solution. Although I like the functionality of One Drive, it can be frustrating if your IT team goes overboard on security. :) The single-sign-on we utilize at work keeps me signed in to all apps, and the applications load quickly and efficiently. Office 365 plus the 64-bit 2016 versions of the Office desktop applications is a great combination that I could not function without. I use Outlook, One Drive, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Yammer and Skype for Business every day, so without them, I would be "dead in the water."

What do you like best?

I like how collaborative Office 365 allows me to be on my projects. Currently, a co-author and I were working in real time on a project. I could see her typing and commentary while I was making corrections to the APA at the bottom of the page. We can also work asynchronously on projects, store them, and return to them. The ability to work in a browser ensures that I can review, make slight edits to the document, print and then save. As a person who is moving from one campus computer, to my computer, to my printer at home, to my office printer at work, this is about as fast as having a flash chip with me at all times, but I never forget it. It also integrates well with Citation software, similar to Word 10. We have a lot of files we share, and I like how easy it is to access from any location I'm at, as long as I'm logged into my university account.

What do you dislike?

One of the things I struggle with regarding Office 365 is what is the real difference between Office 365 and Google docs/sheets other than the price and privacy. At my university, Office 365 is free as long as you are a student or a researcher. As soon as I leave the school though, I'll lose access to Office 365, most of the work I've saved on the system. And while it's... nice? to have so much technology (meaning Access and the other programs that come in the suite) I never use Access but I "have to" have it. I wish it integrated better with my Google calendar so I could have an app on my phone but if that feature is available I don't have it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are going to be a full time single user of Office 365, this might make sense if it automatically updates to the latest Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or Publisher. It would make sense to pay a yearly/monthly fee to continuously have Word rather than having to buy the expensive office suite every few years or so. But, if you don't need to update to the latest software, if you aren't someone who needs Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or Publisher to be at their most flexible, and if you get around on Google just fine, I don't know if it make sense to buy it as a single user. However, for large universities or companies which need flexibility, and collaboration for their employees, then Office 365 might be right for you.

I work on a lot of collaborative research projects and Office 365 lets me share files and reading and work with others. However, I really don't like their "calendar" system integration with Outlook, but I've never liked the Outlook calendar. I always use my Google calendar and I wish there was a way to sync those two, but as far as I know there isn't.

Cloud Security Lead at a security firm with 1-10 employees
    Extremely reliable with an all-encompassing suite of features
    • "Reliable without any glitches."
    • "Could include integration with other single sign-on solutions."

What is our primary use case?

My use case is mainly the email solution of Office 365. I use the exchange online for my emails, corporate emails. I use OneDrive for saving my data on the internet, and the other good features are Excel, Word and PowerPoint online, which allows me to create online documents. I also sometimes use Microsoft Teams within Office 365. We generally use Teams for our video conference meetings and presentation meetings. We also sometimes use SharePoint to share documents with people outside our organization. I am a cloud security lead and we are users of Office 365.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Office 365 is its reliability and that I haven't experienced any outages, it's always worked fine for me. It also has a unique 'giving' feature in that if I go for Office 365 licensing for a particular license level, Microsoft also offers me other services along with Office 365.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved if there was integration with other single sign-on solutions that are available on the market. I'd also like to see integration with other privileged identity or access management solutions. If there are only particular solutions that we have to go with and other market leaders have other solutions that we'd like, then that becomes costly. If they came up with more access or solution integrations that were less expensive, then that would be helpful.

Microsoft should come up with some documentation or presentation related to specific use cases. There are times when companies or organizations migrate to Office 365, but they are not aware of each and every feature that's available and that they could be using. I think they should have special feature-based training sessions, where information can be shared with users. It can be subdivided into departments whether it's accounting, HR, technical.

I've been using this solution for more than five years.

I think this is a very stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. You just need to invest in the new added user licenses and get those onboard. It is on your tenant ID, which is already created. So I guess scalability is quite easy in Office 365. You can go in for new licenses every year and easily scale up. My organization currently has between 400-500 users of this product. We have a team of two or three who deal with it. We plan to increase usage and we already give training sessions on usage of this product on a use case basis depending on the department you're working in.

The technical support is quite good from Microsoft.

We were using G-Suite before this but G-Suite doesn't have the features that Office 365 offers. We have access to Teams, video conferencing, SharePoint and all the other features which is why we thought it was a better solution for us.

The initial setup was straightforward. I think deployment took around one and a half months. and the strategy was to get a batch of users first migrated to Office 365 and then continue in batches until everyone was on board. We worked directly with Microsoft for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.