Nmap OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nmap is the #25 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give Nmap an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Nmap is most commonly compared to Azure Network Watcher: Nmap vs Azure Network Watcher. Nmap is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Nmap?

Nmap ("Network Mapper") is a free and open source (license) utility for network discovery and security auditing. Many systems and network administrators also find it useful for tasks such as network inventory, managing service upgrade schedules, and monitoring host or service uptime. Nmap uses raw IP packets in novel ways to determine what hosts are available on the network, what services (application name and version) those hosts are offering, what operating systems (and OS versions) they are running, what type of packet filters/firewalls are in use, and dozens of other characteristics. It was designed to rapidly scan large networks, but works fine against single hosts. Nmap runs on all major computer operating systems, and official binary packages are available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. In addition to the classic command-line Nmap executable, the Nmap suite includes an advanced GUI and results viewer (Zenmap), a flexible data transfer, redirection, and debugging tool (Ncat), a utility for comparing scan results (Ndiff), and a packet generation and response analysis tool (Nping).

Nmap Customers
Lockheed Martin, Eastern Bank Boston, Perspecta, Harris Corporation, Discovery Communication

Nmap Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nmap pricing:
  • "Nmap is open source software, which suits us well because we are a manufacturing company and not an IT company, for example. If we were an IT company, we would probably need to pay for extra support or instead go for another software solution. But as it is, we don't have any need for high-end troubleshooting tools."
  • "I am using the standard free version of Nmap."
  • "The solution is open source so it is free."
  • Nmap Reviews

PraveenMoule - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Network Administrator at Mungi Engineers Pvt. Ltd.
    Free networking tool that lets us quickly check for open ports and gather MAC addresses
    • "Nmap's performance is great, and I've never noticed any issues in this respect. It really doesn't put a heavy load on the machine when using it."
    • "Since I started using Nmap, it has been completely based on the command prompt and I think it would help other users if they implemented a decent GUI as well."

What is our primary use case?

We are a manufacturing company and there are two main ways in which we use Nmap. The first way is using Nmap as a tool to determine whether certain services are running or whether certain ports are open. If a machine is not available for some reason, then we will first use Nmap to check whether the machine's ports are open or not. This is our most common use case.

The other reason we use Nmap is to gather the MAC addresses of all the machines in the network.

In total, there are about two or three people who use Nmap at my company because we are working in manufacturing and only require a few people to perform this kind of networking troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

Another nice thing about Nmap is that if you know the command prompt, the UI works well and is not too complex.

What needs improvement?

Since I started using Nmap, it has been completely based on the command prompt and I think it would help other users if they implemented a decent GUI as well. In any company you might have multiple experts and a few new people; for the new people the command prompt is usually difficult to grasp at first, but with a GUI they could very easily get started with troubleshooting and playing with different options.

I have been using Nmap for about five years.

January 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Nmap, SolarWinds, Paessler AG and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: January 2023.
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.

There are no problems with stability that I've observed.

The scalability is okay. It's easy and quick to use, and doesn't put a heavy load on the machine.

I don't have any experience with technical support for Nmap, mainly because I don't use that many features and so I have no need for support. And with the features that I do use, I always get proper results.

It would likely be another story if we were an IT company but since we only work in manufacturing, we don't have a need for anything other than the simplest of support.

We are also using Wireshark for troubleshooting, but not in combination with Nmap as it is a different tool for different processes.

The setup process is very simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Nmap to Indian companies and others who are looking into their networking, especially when it comes to troubleshooting server-side resources such as with SaaS, IaaS, or anything which requires checking for open ports. It works very nicely for troubleshooting, because when a service isn't running for any of your users, you can use Nmap to check it directly and easily determine whether the service is actually running or not.

I would rate Nmap a nine out of ten.

Harish 12 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber Security and Information Governance Head at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
    Shows useful info on every network endpoint, but has slow scanning speed and no GUI
    • "The best feature of Nmap is that it lets me see useful information about each endpoint in my entire network environment. For example, I can see every single connection of the network as well as each and every port."
    • "One of the drawbacks of the standard Nmap utility is that it does not come with a graphical user interface, unlike a number of other open-source alternatives such as Zenmap."

What is our primary use case?

I have a network consisting of about 800 machines running either Windows, Linux, or macOS, with a security firewall provided by Check Point (1800 model). Within this network environment, I use a non-customized version of Nmap on my Linux PC as a network scanner, or "network mapper".

As a network mapper, Nmap enables me to scan the network and uncover information relating to each device on the network in order to identify vulnerabilities, which is one of the main responsibilities of my job.

My main use case is figuring out which kinds of devices are connected on the same network (e.g. servers, browser clients, switches), but on a lower level I also it use to check which ports are open or closed or not on any given machine. Additionally, I occasionally use it to identify which operating systems are running on specific machines.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of Nmap is that it lets me see useful information about each endpoint in my entire network environment. For example, I can see every single connection of the network as well as each and every port. It's a widely-used utility for this exact purpose.

What needs improvement?

A second drawback is that the network scanning process can be very slow. I believe that the developers should improve the scanning speed, or perhaps offer an extra option for quicker scanning.

Lastly, even though I can scan the network, the utility doesn't provide any way to fix the network issues that may be discovered. That said, I understand that the tool is not intended for fixing anything, but rather for monitoring and discovery only.

I have been using Nmap for about two years.

In terms of stability, I would give it a rating of eight out of ten.

In my network, we are able to scan all 800 machines with Nmap, although the speed isn't that great. We are soon establishing another organization with a software development unit, and that unit will be adding an extra 100 machines which will be scanned with Nmap.

The setup for Nmap is not complicated. In fact, it's very easy.

In my IT team, there are about 8 technical team members who implement Nmap to scan our network of 800 machines.

I am using the standard free version of Nmap.

I could compare Nmap with Wireshark, but at the same time it's not exactly the same kind of solution. Wireshark is, indeed, something else completely, but many of the features are the same when it comes to basic network scanning.

Metasploit is another tool that could be compared with Nmap, as Metasploit can also be used as a scanner. Beyond these other other tools, I can't point to any other similar competitors of Nmap currently.

What other advice do I have?

I can definitely recommend Nmap for any kind of IT manager or network administrator as it gives you the ability to see into your network for various purposes such as testing and vulnerability scanning. Nmap's features help me map out the security of my whole network and it's a wonderfully useful tool.

I would rate Nmap a seven out of ten.

January 2023
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mehdi Mamaghani - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Specialist at Pars Khodro Company
    A powerful solution for troubleshooting and finding security holes in services
    • "The scanning procedure includes UDP ports which sets it apart from competitors."
    • "It takes a bit of time to get familiar with the solution and its options."

What is our primary use case?

Three technicians in our company use the solution extensively to scan our environment and find security holes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is powerful for troubleshooting and finding security holes in services.

The scanning procedure includes UDP ports which sets it apart from competitors.

What needs improvement?

It takes a bit of time to get familiar with the solution and its options.

A scan to determine whether a service or application is lost would be a useful addition. For example, a scan that checks whether a service in layer seven is blocked by a server or host.

A graphic interface for Windows would be helpful.

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is really stable.

The solution is scalable.

I have not needed technical support.

The setup is quite simple.

The solution is open source so it is free.

The solution really is not comparable to other products because of its many features. We looked at Wireshark but there's really no comparison.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Carlos Morell - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Specialist at A2secure
    It's an easy-to-use security solution with a simple command-line interface
    • "Nmap is easy to use. It's a command-line interface, and the output is quite good."

What is our primary use case?

Nmap is a tool for analyzing perimeter security and application output.

What is most valuable?

Nmap is easy to use. It's a command-line interface, and the output is quite good.

Were a mid-sized company with about 50-plus employees, and we've been using Nmap for more than five years

Nmap is stable.

Nmap is easy to scale anytime.

We've never had to contact support. The community on the forums answers our questions.

Setting up Nmap is effortless.

Nmap is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nmap nine out of 10.

Venkatesh-K - PeerSpot reviewer
      Technical Architect (Cyber Secrity) at HCL Technologies
      Supports coding frameworks, scalable and has a simple setup
      • "The initial setup was simple."
      • "The price is high and could be cheaper."

What needs improvement?

The price is high and could be cheaper. The third-party library vulnerability assessment could be included in the next release.

We have been using the solution for seven months.

The solution is stable. I rate the stability an eight out of ten.

The solution is scalable. Approximately 100 people in our organization utilize it.

We have not had experience with customer service and support.

The initial setup was simple and took us approximately five days.

We chose this solution because it supports several frameworks, including coding frameworks.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nmap, SolarWinds, Paessler AG, and more!
      Updated: January 2023