Wireshark OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Wireshark is the #2 ranked solution in top Network Troubleshooting tools. PeerSpot users give Wireshark an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Wireshark is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM: Wireshark vs SolarWinds NPM. Wireshark is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.
Wireshark Buyer's Guide

Download the Wireshark Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Wireshark?
Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer.
Wireshark Customers
Comversion, ADP, Talbots

Wireshark Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Wireshark pricing:
  • "Wireshark is an open-source product, so it's free to use."
  • "It is free."
  • "I am using the free version of this solution."
  • "We're using the free version of Wireshark."
  • "Wireshark is free software, so you don't have to pay any licensing fee. Individual people can use it and then donate to Wireshark."
  • Wireshark Reviews

Rajendra Thakur - PeerSpot reviewer
    Incident manager at Cisco
    User-friendly with an easy setup and a nice interface
    • "The options that are required to get the details for the packet drops are good."
    • "You need good network connectivity to download during the setup, otherwise, it might take a while."

What is our primary use case?

It's a tool that we use to capture the network and if there is any lag or if there are packet drops.

It's a very useful tool. We are using it to monitor any network depreciation. For example, suppose there's a call going on between two IP phones and one person says that I cannot hear you. There's definitely something wrong. The RTP is getting dropped, and the packets are getting dropped. We need to capture the live call or if there are any prerecord calls for this particular time period. We go ahead and use this tool to find out whether the packets dropped when a packet is dropped and what caused the audio issue or video issue. We actually use it to understand any network issues.

What is most valuable?

I've been using it for quite some time, and I find that it's very user-friendly. The interface is good.

The options that are required to get the details for the packet drops are good. All the options are available for whatever is required. I can choose any of them and search easily, and I can also pull the report and publish it to the team or whoever requires it.

It's easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

I can't suggest anything as of now regarding Wireshark. I have never found any issues or had any difficulty using it. Be it connecting the system to the network directly and capturing the data through Wireshark, or for a specific time, it's been flawless. I have got the results every time I've needed them.

I have been using Wireshark for almost six years. I've used it for a while at this point.

Wireshark
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Wireshark. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. It's reliable. It offers good performance There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Almost everybody in our company is using the product. That's likely around 1,000 people. Here, we always work on the network devices, and we need to use this tool to understand if there is any issue with that network or if there is any issue with the calls. Therefore, almost everyone uses it within the network team.

In terms of scalability, if you look at it, there's no limit. There's no restriction on how many users can use it. However, it depends on the organization. If you need any approval to download it usually needs special permission.

I never had to reach out to technical support regarding Wireshark. Whenever I've had to use it, it worked properly and there was no issue to complain about.

It is easy to set up. We just need to download it and choose the options while setting it up. That's it. After that, it should be done.

The download itself doesn't take a lot of time. It depends on the bandwidth of your network. If you're using a good network connection, then it hardly takes a minute to download.

It is open-source. Anyone can download and use it.

What other advice do I have?

I use the solution to support my customer's environment. I am not a partner or reseller.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Wireshark is more of a packet capture tool. If you are in a network environment, where you are supporting the customer and looking after the issues with network drop, network devices, or IP calls, you must have a Wireshark on your PC. This is a tool that gives you a clear-cut idea about where the issue is, and where the packs are dropping. It's an excellent tool. Everyone should start using it.

DeepakKumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Lead Engineer at a wireless company with 10,001+ employees
    Free to use, simple to implement, and reliable
    • "The product is simple to implement."
    • "This product needs to improve the UI."

What is our primary use case?

I work on WiFi and I am a customer engineer. We use Wireshark to analyze the sniffer captures or tcpdumps. That's the purpose of the solution.

What is most valuable?

There are very handy filters available in Wireshark.

It’s free and doesn’t cost us anything to use.

The product is simple to implement.

It is a stable solution.

What needs improvement?

In my previous company, we had Omnipeek, and the UI was better than Wireshark. This product needs to improve the UI.

Generally, you can use Omnipeek to capture packets. You can also use Wireshark to capture packets. However, they need a compatible adapter. If we use Wireshark without a compatible adapter, we really don't go to capture packets using it. We already get captures from the field and from customers, and we just use it for analysis.

I would make maybe adding filters easy. There are some options that we can enable to look into the packet. For example, the default installation of Wireshark doesn't have much information. You can just get to see the packet number, the time's terms, the source address, the destination address, and some detailed information. If I want to see the RSSI, the channel number, the protocol information, or the data rate, I need to go and modify some of the configurations to add columns to display this information. I need to spend some time with it. Therefore, the Wireshark default installation could probably include some more crucial information. That would be a little helpful.

It's been a pretty long time since I started using the product. It’s been more than five years.

Wireshark in general is good. It is stable. We have used it on Windows. We have used it on Linux. We have used it on MacBook and it works pretty well on every platform.

The solution is scalable in the sense you can add it to however many laptops you need to. It's not like you have 500 people using the same Wireshark or using a common license. It is installed on everyone's PC and whoever wants to use it can. We are using the free version. Therefore, getting more people to put it on their PCs also doesn’t cost the company more.

In our company, about 150 people, or many a few more, are using the solution.

We’ve never had the need to reach out to technical support.

I used Omnipeek. The UI was better than Wireshark. However, it is quite expensive.

If somebody pays for Omnipeek that heavy price, they also prefer to get a compatible adapter or a compatible card that works with Omnipeek.

In this company, people just use the solution. However, there wasn’t a discount moment when management suggested it to everyone.

The initial setup was pretty easy. It was straightforward. We didn’t find it to be difficult.

It only takes a few minutes to get everything up and running.

The solution is free to use. We do not have to pay any licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I’m a customer and end-user.

The solution is installed on my PC.

Wireshark is a pretty good tool if somebody wants to learn packet analysis or just plain, simple debugging of network issues at an L2 or L3 level. It is quite good for anybody, even a beginner. Anybody can use this tool and the installation is simple. The default installation should work quite well.

I’d rate the solution eight out of ten. If they could make the UI a little better and help us to get some more crucial information easily while providing some options to enable certain parameters based on the protocol, I’d give it a ten out of ten.

Wireshark
    November 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Lead Engineer at NXP Semiconductors
    Scalable, stable, doesn't require installation, and allows you to capture packets at any time
    • "What's best about Wireshark is that it doesn't require installation. It supports cards and monitoring permissions and is sufficient for appending and capturing activities. You won't need to install other tools to use Wireshark, so this saves you time. You can capture packets at any time from your laptop through Wireshark."
    • "Wireshark is similar to an OS defense tool, meaning that it runs on an OS such as Ubuntu and Fedora, but I'm unsure if it's compatible with Windows or if it's a straightforward process to run it on Windows. Right now, my team needs to run Wireshark from a dongle to use it, so it's an OS-dependable tool, and that's an area for improvement. I was unable to use Wireshark on Windows, and I couldn't capture it, as I'm unsure how to configure the wireless card into monitoring mode on Windows. The process was straightforward on Linux, but it wasn't the case on Windows OS. It seems Wireshark isn't compatible with all OS. For example, you can analyze the log, and you can analyze it on the Windows server, but you can't do a capture in Windows. Configuring Wireshark for Windows isn't as easy as configuring it for Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We're using an internal Wi-Fi card in the laptop, so we configure that particular wireless interface into monitoring mode, configure the channel, and use Wireshark for that specific interface. We can capture the packets and activities on that channel, analyze the packets for poor connections, etc.

What needs improvement?

What I'd like to see in the next release of Wireshark is the capability to capture packets from the ethernet.

I started using Wireshark six or seven years ago.

Wireshark is a stable product.

Wireshark is a scalable product.

I never needed to contact technical support for Wireshark.

My company uses Wireshark and has not tried a different solution. The biggest factor on why it decided to use Wireshark is because it's open-source software that doesn't require installation and a license, so anyone can use it.

Wireshark is pretty easy to set up. Its deployment doesn't take much time. It only takes ten to twenty minutes max to complete Wireshark deployment.

Wireshark is an open-source product, so it's free to use.

What other advice do I have?

All people within my company use Wireshark, so that's two hundred users.

My advice to anyone looking into using Wireshark is that you should know how to configure the interface and the internal Wi-Fi card into monitoring mode, so you can capture via Wireshark. As Wireshark is a good tool, I'd recommend it to others, but you should have some knowledge of how to use it and how to configure it. Before implementing Wireshark, you need to know your objectives, working scenarios, what type of features you'd want to implement, and what changes you need to make.

I'd rate Wireshark eight out of ten because for you to configure and use it requires proper knowledge. It's straightforward to use if you have some knowledge of configuring it for monitoring.

I'm a customer of Wireshark.

Founder and CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Free, stable, good community support, and useful for investigation and network visibility
    • "Being able to dissect email data and figure out what is inside email messages was the most valuable feature. Such a feature is pretty helpful for an ongoing forensic investigation or when there is a potential insider threat that you are trying to investigate. It allows you to see the network activity of the users you are investigating. It also gives you more visibility into your network. It was very easy to set up. There is a lot of information out there on Google and YouTube about how to use it. There is also community support. If you have any trouble, it is pretty easy to find an answer online. You will have to do some digging only if you have a very specific use case."
    • "Its user interface was a little less friendly. They can make its user interface a little bit more friendly. It is for technical people, and most of the technical people would be able to figure it out, but it would be good to improve its user interface. They can maybe build artificial intelligence into it. Currently, it takes a lot of manpower to analyze and dissect all the data."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for a couple of school projects last semester. We basically had to emulate how to capture packets in transit in a network. After capturing those packets, we analyzed them. We also had to break down email messages and dig out pictures inside email messages.

It was deployed through a cloud. They had set up a subscription for a class VM.

What is most valuable?

Being able to dissect email data and figure out what is inside email messages was the most valuable feature. Such a feature is pretty helpful for an ongoing forensic investigation or when there is a potential insider threat that you are trying to investigate. It allows you to see the network activity of the users you are investigating. It also gives you more visibility into your network.

It was very easy to set up. There is a lot of information out there on Google and YouTube about how to use it. There is also community support. If you have any trouble, it is pretty easy to find an answer online. You will have to do some digging only if you have a very specific use case.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface was a little less friendly. They can make its user interface a little bit more friendly. It is for technical people, and most of the technical people would be able to figure it out, but it would be good to improve its user interface.

I started using it last November. It has been six months.

It was pretty stable. It never crashed.

Scalability could be a challenge because you can analyze so much data with Wireshark, which can be hard if you don't have a very specific case or plan for it.

If there is no automated solution, scalability could be a little bit difficult. It gives you more visibility into your network, and you can see the packets that are coming in and going out of the network. The only challenge is that if it is a big organization, there would be a lot to process. Having an automated solution on the side would probably help.

I didn't have to contact them.

It was pretty straightforward. It took less than 20 minutes.

I deployed it myself. It does not require any maintenance.

It is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to have a game plan for it because there is a lot of data that goes into it. You can analyze a lot of data. Having a very strategic game plan would be ideal.

I would rate Wireshark a ten out of ten.

Other
    Harish 12 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber Security and Information Governance Head at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
    A free and open-source packet analyzer with a useful filtering and coloring feature
    • "I like the filtering feature as we can filter data easily. This feature is also available in tcpdump, but it's a simple piece of software. Wireshark is more advanced and has many features. It allows you to filter a lot of things. The output can be filtered easily. The most important feature is colorization. If I say, "Okay, this particular SMB protocol in red, it will show me red." It's easy to identify that protocol or capture data."
    • "It would be better if they offered a hybrid version like My Cloud Control."

What is our primary use case?

I use Wireshark for DT inspection of several protocols and choose different color patterns to make it easy to see the various protocols. It also involves live analysis because I can see the live analysis on the Internet. The main task of Wireshark is to inspect the throttle and live data, and it's doing them.

What is most valuable?

I like the filtering feature as we can filter data easily. This feature is also available in tcpdump, but it's a simple piece of software. Wireshark is more advanced and has many features. It allows you to filter a lot of things. The output can be filtered easily.

The most important feature is colorization. If I say, "Okay, this particular SMB protocol in red, it will show me red." It's easy to identify that protocol or capture data.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they offered a hybrid version like My Cloud Control.

I have been working with Wireshark for about five years.

Wireshark is a stable solution.

Wireshark is a scalable solution. Almost all protocols are covered by Wireshark.

I have never contacted technical support. If I have an issue with some functionality or operation, I use Wireshark's community support or Google the information I need.

I was working with Nmap and Cisco Analyzer, but then I started working with Wireshark. Before that, I used another packet analyzer called tcpdump, which is similar to Wireshark.

The initial setup is straightforward. I just downloaded the software and installed it. I completed the whole process within two minutes. It's very simple.

I implemented this solution.

I am using the free version of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's a user-friendly solution. I can start by capturing the interface's data because it will show me the number of interferences. Then I have to select and begin the inspection.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Wireshark an eight.

Borislav Malinov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Operations Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Open-source with good documentation online and good search filtering capabilities
    • "It has good basic features."
    • "We'd like to be able to extract the output into an Excel table."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for reading packet captures. It's like a packet analyzer, packet capture.

I'm just reading some packets and looking for interesting tracking. That's all.

What is most valuable?

The solution is open-source.

It does have SolarWinds in it or is involved in SolarWinds in some way.

The search filtering is very good.

It has good basic features.

There's a lot of information available online. Even if I am looking for something special, I can find details about that aspect.

It is well structured.

The initial setup is very easy.

I find the product to be quite stable.

We can scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

It works pretty well, and we haven't seen any areas that are lacking.

We'd like to be able to extract the output into an Excel table.

I've used the solution for a couple of years.

The solution performs well. It's stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

In the beginning, maybe seven or eight years ago, we did have some issues. However, that was a long time ago, and that was resolved.

It's my understanding that the solution can scale.

You can pay for a version that offers a support tier. However, I am using the basic, free, open-source version. There is no support tier. If you need information in relation to troubleshooting, everything you need is online. You can search the internet and find what you need.

The solution is very simple and straightforward. It's pretty easy. I wouldn't classify it as complex or difficult.

I'd rate it five out of five in terms of ease of setup.

The solution is open-source and free to use. That said, there is a paid tier with more features if a company needs a bit more.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It's a good product.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

MohamedEladawy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Security Lead at Salam Technology
    Useful, allows you to deeply understand what's going on at the packet level, and helps you analyze adverse signatures
    • "I find Wireshark a very useful tool. Its best feature is that it allows me to deeply understand what's going on at the packet level, as well as any adverse signatures that I can analyze. When I need to create an IPS rule, I need to check the traffic deeply to get more insights about the actual traffic, what's the name of certain flags, etc., and I'm able to do all that through Wireshark. The tool is also user-friendly."
    • "A room for improvement in Wireshark is its ease of use for beginners. It could be better. Another room for improvement in the tool is for it to provide more details about the traffic load. At the moment, Wireshark is adequate for me, so there isn't anything I'd like added to it in its next version."

What is our primary use case?

We use Wireshark to check the network traffic, and if there's any network problem or issue, we can check it through the tool. We also use Wireshark during analysis, to check if there's any network connectivity or attempts from the malware to communicate with the C&C server. We use the tool for further analysis and investigation.

What is most valuable?

I find Wireshark a very useful tool. Its best feature is that it allows me to deeply understand what's going on at the packet level, as well as any adverse signatures that I can analyze. When I need to create an IPS rule, I need to check the traffic deeply to get more insights about the actual traffic, what's the name of certain flags, etc., and I'm able to do all that through Wireshark.

The tool is also user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

A room for improvement in Wireshark is its ease of use for beginners. It could be better. Another room for improvement in the tool is for it to provide more details about the traffic load.

At the moment, Wireshark is adequate for me, so there isn't anything I'd like added to it in its next version.

I've been using Wireshark for a long time, so I can't remember the exact number of years I've been using it.

Wireshark is a stable tool. I didn't see any issues with its stability.

Wireshark is a scalable tool.

We never raised an issue or ticket with the Wireshark technical support team.

The setup process for Wireshark was very simple.

We're using the free version of Wireshark.

We didn't try to use other solutions apart from Wireshark.

What other advice do I have?

Two hundred people use Wireshark within the company.

My rating for Wireshark is a nine out of ten because I like it and I use it so much.

I'm only a user of Wireshark.

Network Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Free solution with a large online community, which makes it simple to troubleshoot problems
    • "It's easy to troubleshoot issues because there's a large online community."
    • "DNS could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

Wireshark provides many different functions which are very useful for my job. There are a lot of features, and I still haven't used everything yet. It's easy to troubleshoot issues because there's a large online community.

What needs improvement?

DNS could be improved.

I have been using this solution for 10 years.

The scalability is pretty good. If I have a big file, I can always divide it into smaller ones. I haven't had any problems with opening big files.

There's a big community of people on the internet involved in Wireshark. There are a lot of free resources on Wireshark. If I ever need anything, I just search on YouTube, and there are people that are analyzing or troubleshooting a particular issue with DNS or with retransmission, etc.

Setup is very easy. It's simple to install it on your PC.

We have a software team that automatically installs the solution on our PC, and a variety of my colleagues use it for troubleshooting. There are multiple teams involved.

Deployment was done in-house.

Wireshark is free software, so you don't have to pay any licensing fee. Individual people can use it and then donate to Wireshark.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Wireshark is very good for network engineers. It's free software, and you can install it very easily, and there are a lot of features. I mainly use Wireshark in Windows. My advice is to do research on the internet, especially on YouTube, if you have any troubleshooting issues.

It's a very popular solution, and if you're able to, I think it would be helpful to donate to the organization so people can continue to develop Wireshark.

Download our free Wireshark Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022