IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetApp HCI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp HCI is #18 ranked solution in HCI Software. PeerSpot users give NetApp HCI an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. NetApp HCI is most commonly compared to VMware vSAN: NetApp HCI vs VMware vSAN. NetApp HCI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the HCI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is NetApp HCI?

NetApp HCI is the only true enterprise-scale hyper converged cloud infrastructure. NetApp HCI comes in a 2 RU chassis with 4 node expansion slots.

NetApp HCI Customers

American Showa, Children's Mercy, Coca-Cola, Consultel Cloud, Evangelische Landeskirche in Wurttemberg, Imperva, Surface Mount Technology

NetApp HCI Video

NetApp HCI Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp HCI pricing:
  • "Its price is aligned with the market. In addition to the standard licensing fees, there is an integrator cost."
  • "Its pricing is lower than our previous solution."
  • "Its price is comparable to the competitors in the market."
  • "The price of the solution is okay but could improve."
  • NetApp HCI Reviews

Massimiliano Bartolozzi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Officer at Lucart
    Crashes continuously, complex to deploy, and bad after-sales support
    • "The ability to size the available space in a way that matches our company's needs is most valuable. For instance, you can decide if you want 80/20, 70/30, or 60/40 space. Redundancy depends on your needs without changing the appliance. You just add space and decide the percentage of space that you need free and the percentage of space that you need for backup. It is all automatic, and you don't have to do anything. You just add space, and the system automatically configures itself with the chosen option."
    • "Its stability is very bad. It has been crashing continuously. In one year, we got three crashes, which is unbelievable for an appliance that is guaranteed for 10 years without any crash."

What is our primary use case?

In 2020, our site-based AS/400 infrastructure was going to the end of its life cycle. So, we started a market investigation for an appliance that could host our new SQL server environment. We also selected a private cloud data center inside the Telecom Italia facility in Rome. After the hardware selection, NetApp won the challenge, and we decided to fill the data center room with the NetApp H-series appliance. We went live with the new data center on March 6, 2021.

How has it helped my organization?

It has increased the availability of our systems from 12 hours for 6 days to 18 hours for 7 days. Because the NetApp system is faster than the ones we had before, so we need less time for backup and maintenance. We also have more time for applications availability. We are now saving almost 30% time.

It has helped to reduce or eliminate storage performance issues. There is a 30% increase in the performance.

In terms of the use of compute resources, it has increased our efficiency by 30%.

What is most valuable?

The ability to size the available space in a way that matches our company's needs is most valuable. For instance, you can decide if you want 80/20, 70/30, or 60/40 space. Redundancy depends on your needs without changing the appliance. You just add space and decide the percentage of space that you need free and the percentage of space that you need for backup. It is all automatic, and you don't have to do anything. You just add space, and the system automatically configures itself with the chosen option.

What needs improvement?

Their after-sales support, SLA, and third-parties availability should be improved. NetApp's support is very difficult to engage. We have an SLA of onsite support within 24 hours. but they don't respect the SLA.

Its stability is very bad. It has been crashing continuously. In one year, we got three crashes, which is unbelievable for an appliance that is guaranteed for 10 years without any crash.

July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Nutanix, VMware and others in HCI. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

Its stability is very bad. We had problems with the stability of the appliance from the beginning. It has been crashing very often. I would rate it a zero out of ten in terms of stability. We have been very dissatisfied with its stability during its implementation and since it has been live.

Its scalability is very good. When we discovered that there was not enough available space, NetApp was able to install additional hardware. We can auto-configure it to get more space. So, we can easily and quickly scale if we need.

We are using it extensively. It is being used in the main data center for our group. Currently, 800 people from all departments use this solution. We do have plans to increase its usage.

We got three crashes in one year. NetApp's support is very difficult to engage. We have an SLA of onsite support within 24 hours. They did not respect any SLA. They came after three days, and they did not have the spare part. They had to find the spare part.

I also suspect that they gave me a reconditioned one and not a new one, but it is only my impression. I don't know whom to call in order to complain. Their support is not at all good.

Its initial setup was complex. First of all, we had problems with the stability of the appliance from the beginning, and it was crashing very often. Second, NetApp's calculation of the available space after the installation was also wrong, so we had to add another hardware, which NetApp provided for free. That was absolutely fantastic, but it delayed our implementation process by three months. Overall, the deployment took six months.

There was not really an implementation strategy. We were not changing or migrating anything. We were setting up a new data center from scratch. We're building it from nothing.

We use a company from Sienna, Italy called Argon. The experience with them has been very good. They've been with us for years now, so they are a solid partner. Every time I call them, they are ready to answer. We had a good experience with them. They also provide post-sales support to us.

Without the crashes, I would have seen a return of investment because of the additional 30% availability. Considering the time that I have lost because of the crashes, our return on investment is now negative.

Its price is aligned with the market. In addition to the standard licensing fees, there is an integrator cost.

We evaluated HP, IBM, and Dell. We chose NetApp because our partner and the system integrator company strongly recommended to go for NetApp. Because we trust this company and this company was responsible for setting up the entire data center, we decided to follow their advice.

Overall, all of these solutions were very advanced. Technically, I would put NetApp and Dell at the same level of innovation. IBM and HP are more established technologies, but they are not as innovative.

In terms of cost, HP and NetApp were the ones that could make a bigger effort to reduce the cost. IBM and Dell were a little bit more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those who want to implement this solution is to not go for this solution because it is not stable. I don't really know how we could have avoided this because you don't really get to know before buying a solution that it is not stable. The only lesson that I have learned is that rather than going for an advanced technology that is not yet properly tested, it is better to go for established technology, even if it is a little bit older.

I would rate this solution a three out of 10. Its instability destroys everything good that has been done during the implementation.

Rajith Attupurath - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network & System Administrator at UOWD
    Extremely good support, highly scalable, and stable

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for lab virtualization with GPU and everything else. So, it is mainly for the lab environment.

What is most valuable?

It is highly scalable. Their support is also extremely good.

What needs improvement?

The administration side of it needs to be improved. We expect an easier interface and a single upgrade for updating the infrastructure.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is stable.

It is highly scalable. We have about 600 end-users from different departments. On the administration side, there are only four people. We plan to increase its usage.

Their support is extremely good.

We used HPE. The technology and the cost were the two major factors for switching.

It was not complex. It was okay. It took about one and a half months.

We had a resource integrator, and our experience with them was good.

Its pricing is lower than our previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

You need to do a PoC before buying it because every use case is different.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Competitive pricing, scalable, and easy to deploy with NDE

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and it is being used in our customer's company. We are a partner and reseller.

What is most valuable?

It is scalable, and NetApp Deployment Engine (NDE) makes its deployment easier.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I am not looking for new features. Quality of Service (QoS) and capacity efficiency are the two things that I want to resolve in my customer's environment. QoS improves the performance of each tenancy, and with capacity efficiency, the customer can achieve more capacity as compared to the normal capacity.

I have been working with this product for about three years.

It is scalable. There are hundreds of users. We have quite a lot of customers using NetApp.

Their technical support is good enough. Otherwise, my customers would not pay.

It is easy by using NDE.

Its price is comparable to the competitors in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

IT Deputy at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    Helpful support and scalable

What is our primary use case?

NetApp HCI is used for enterprise-scale hybrid cloud infrastructure and we are using the standard version.

I have been using NetApp HCI for approximately three years.

NetApp HCI is a stable solution.

NetApp HCI is scalable. it is possible to increase the storage, nodes, CPU, and ram.

We have found the support to be good.

The price of the solution is okay but could improve.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetApp HCI an eight out of ten.

Download our free HCI Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Nutanix, VMware, and more!
    Updated: July 2022