We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

NetApp HCI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp HCI is #14 ranked solution in HCI Software. PeerSpot users give NetApp HCI an average rating of 6 out of 10. NetApp HCI is most commonly compared to VMware vSAN: NetApp HCI vs VMware vSAN. NetApp HCI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 82% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is NetApp HCI?

NetApp HCI is the only true enterprise-scale hyper converged cloud infrastructure. NetApp HCI comes in a 2 RU chassis with 4 node expansion slots.

Download the Hyper-Converged (HCI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

NetApp HCI Customers

American Showa, Children's Mercy, Coca-Cola, Consultel Cloud, Evangelische Landeskirche in Wurttemberg, Imperva, Surface Mount Technology

NetApp HCI Video

NetApp HCI Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp HCI pricing:
  • "Its price is aligned with the market. In addition to the standard licensing fees, there is an integrator cost."
  • "The licensing fees are renewed annually."
  • "The price of the solution is okay but could improve."
  • NetApp HCI Reviews

Massimiliano Bartolozzi
    Chief Information Officer at Lucart
    Crashes continuously, complex to deploy, and bad after-sales support
    • "The ability to size the available space in a way that matches our company's needs is most valuable. For instance, you can decide if you want 80/20, 70/30, or 60/40 space. Redundancy depends on your needs without changing the appliance. You just add space and decide the percentage of space that you need free and the percentage of space that you need for backup. It is all automatic, and you don't have to do anything. You just add space, and the system automatically configures itself with the chosen option."
    • "Its stability is very bad. It has been crashing continuously. In one year, we got three crashes, which is unbelievable for an appliance that is guaranteed for 10 years without any crash."

What is our primary use case?

In 2020, our site-based AS/400 infrastructure was going to the end of its life cycle. So, we started a market investigation for an appliance that could host our new SQL server environment. We also selected a private cloud data center inside the Telecom Italia facility in Rome. After the hardware selection, NetApp won the challenge, and we decided to fill the data center room with the NetApp H-series appliance. We went live with the new data center on March 6, 2021.

How has it helped my organization?

It has increased the availability of our systems from 12 hours for 6 days to 18 hours for 7 days. Because the NetApp system is faster than the ones we had before, so we need less time for backup and maintenance. We also have more time for applications availability. We are now saving almost 30% time.

It has helped to reduce or eliminate storage performance issues. There is a 30% increase in the performance.

In terms of the use of compute resources, it has increased our efficiency by 30%.

What is most valuable?

The ability to size the available space in a way that matches our company's needs is most valuable. For instance, you can decide if you want 80/20, 70/30, or 60/40 space. Redundancy depends on your needs without changing the appliance. You just add space and decide the percentage of space that you need free and the percentage of space that you need for backup. It is all automatic, and you don't have to do anything. You just add space, and the system automatically configures itself with the chosen option.

What needs improvement?

Their after-sales support, SLA, and third-parties availability should be improved. NetApp's support is very difficult to engage. We have an SLA of onsite support within 24 hours. but they don't respect the SLA.

Its stability is very bad. It has been crashing continuously. In one year, we got three crashes, which is unbelievable for an appliance that is guaranteed for 10 years without any crash.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

Its stability is very bad. We had problems with the stability of the appliance from the beginning. It has been crashing very often. I would rate it a zero out of ten in terms of stability. We have been very dissatisfied with its stability during its implementation and since it has been live.

Its scalability is very good. When we discovered that there was not enough available space, NetApp was able to install additional hardware. We can auto-configure it to get more space. So, we can easily and quickly scale if we need.

We are using it extensively. It is being used in the main data center for our group. Currently, 800 people from all departments use this solution. We do have plans to increase its usage.

We got three crashes in one year. NetApp's support is very difficult to engage. We have an SLA of onsite support within 24 hours. They did not respect any SLA. They came after three days, and they did not have the spare part. They had to find the spare part.

I also suspect that they gave me a reconditioned one and not a new one, but it is only my impression. I don't know whom to call in order to complain. Their support is not at all good.

Its initial setup was complex. First of all, we had problems with the stability of the appliance from the beginning, and it was crashing very often. Second, NetApp's calculation of the available space after the installation was also wrong, so we had to add another hardware, which NetApp provided for free. That was absolutely fantastic, but it delayed our implementation process by three months. Overall, the deployment took six months.

There was not really an implementation strategy. We were not changing or migrating anything. We were setting up a new data center from scratch. We're building it from nothing.

We use a company from Sienna, Italy called Argon. The experience with them has been very good. They've been with us for years now, so they are a solid partner. Every time I call them, they are ready to answer. We had a good experience with them. They also provide post-sales support to us.

Without the crashes, I would have seen a return of investment because of the additional 30% availability. Considering the time that I have lost because of the crashes, our return on investment is now negative.

Its price is aligned with the market. In addition to the standard licensing fees, there is an integrator cost.

We evaluated HP, IBM, and Dell. We chose NetApp because our partner and the system integrator company strongly recommended to go for NetApp. Because we trust this company and this company was responsible for setting up the entire data center, we decided to follow their advice.

Overall, all of these solutions were very advanced. Technically, I would put NetApp and Dell at the same level of innovation. IBM and HP are more established technologies, but they are not as innovative.

In terms of cost, HP and NetApp were the ones that could make a bigger effort to reduce the cost. IBM and Dell were a little bit more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those who want to implement this solution is to not go for this solution because it is not stable. I don't really know how we could have avoided this because you don't really get to know before buying a solution that it is not stable. The only lesson that I have learned is that rather than going for an advanced technology that is not yet properly tested, it is better to go for established technology, even if it is a little bit older.

I would rate this solution a three out of 10. Its instability destroys everything good that has been done during the implementation.

Senior IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    Highly available, redundant, and scalable, but we can't get the solution to stabilize yet
    • "Our goal with NetApp HCI is to have no single point of failure."
    • "The vCenter keeps crashing, meaning that there is no stability in our environment."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the HCI solution is so that we can have redundancy and resiliency for all of our critical systems that reside on VMware. We will be utilizing technologies such as vMotion, iSCSI, and data management to move the VM instances back and forth while they are still running.

We have purchased the solution but we do not have it running yet. We have encountered an issue after the setup was complete where the whole vCenter crashed. Professional Services had to come back out and install the solution a second time, but after they re-installed it, it crashed again. We are finding it challenging to get the system running in a stable condition.

The ability of this solution to scale on demand is good because with the organization growing, our data size is growing as far as our computer server is growing. The scalability will probably be the biggest factor in enhancing our environment.

Part of the planning for our system, or our environment, was that it has to have the capacity to scale. This means that this solution's ability to scale compute and storage independently is something that we took into consideration. We can add an additional chassis at any given time.

We believe that NetApp HCI will reduce our hypervisor footprint, but we have not seen anything as of yet.

When this solution is up and running we expect that the Element software will enable us to consolidate workloads.

We will not be using any of the cloud data services because for security reasons, everything is on-premises.

Although we do not have everything running yet, I am hoping that we will be able to make more efficient use of our compute resources.

How has it helped my organization?

Our goal with NetApp HCI is to have no single point of failure. That's probably the biggest plus for us because we're going to have our email server and all of our critical systems reside on that platform.

What is most valuable?

We are looking forward to high availability, redundancy, and shared storage.

What needs improvement?

We have just purchased NetApp HCI and do not have it up and running yet.

We do not have a stable system, yet. The vCenter has been crashing.

According to what is advertised for HCI on scalability, we will be able to add additional systems on the fly. That should be a very good feature for us.

We have a lot of NetApp storage on-site, so part of the reason we are implementing NetApp HCI is consolidation. We are basically picking a solution that's on the same platform and from the same vendor, which will probably be better for us because we don't want to introduce too many different vendors. When that happens you have too many different things to support. We're trying to simplify the environment by just having one single vendor.

NetApp Professional Services has been working with us on the implementation.

The licensing fees are renewed annually.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot rate this solution more than about half at this point because we do not have it working, although I believe that in the future, I will give it a much higher rating.

If we can get this environment stabilized and if we can move our critical systems onto the platform, and we can maintain it, then it will probably be a big plus for us. We will have high availability, redundancy, and resiliency.

As it is now, I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Nutanix, VMware and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: January 2022.
    564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Deputy at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    Helpful support and scalable

What is our primary use case?

NetApp HCI is used for enterprise-scale hybrid cloud infrastructure and we are using the standard version.

I have been using NetApp HCI for approximately three years.

NetApp HCI is a stable solution.

NetApp HCI is scalable. it is possible to increase the storage, nodes, CPU, and ram.

We have found the support to be good.

The price of the solution is okay but could improve.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetApp HCI an eight out of ten.

Which deployment model are you using for

What is our primary use case?

I have been using NetApp HCI for approximately three years.

NetApp HCI is a stable solution.

We have found the support to be good.

The price of the solution is okay but could improve.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetApp HCI an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
    Hyper-Converged (HCI)
    Download our free Hyper-Converged (HCI) Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Nutanix, VMware, and more!