We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management is #5 ranked solution in top Remote Monitoring and Management Software. PeerSpot users give N-able Remote Monitoring & Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. N-able Remote Monitoring & Management is most commonly compared to ConnectWise Automate: N-able Remote Monitoring & Management vs ConnectWise Automate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 39% of all views.
What is N-able Remote Monitoring & Management?

With out-of-the-box remote monitoring, management, patching, and automation, it’s easier than ever to support, manage, and protect your customers with N‑able RMM.

• Onboard in record time.
  • Multiply your team’s impact and profitability.
  • Identify and remediate issues automatically before they do harm.
  • Add the features you need, when you need them.
  • Expand your service offering and grow your customer base at your own pace.
  • Get access to exclusive resources, such as the MSP Institute, Automation Cookbook, boot camps, and office hours.

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management was previously known as SolarWinds MSP Remote Monitoring & Management, MSP RMM, SolarWinds RMM, SolarWinds Remote Monitoring and Management.

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Buyer's Guide

Download the N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Customers

NetSys Network Systems

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Video

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about N-able Remote Monitoring & Management pricing:
  • "I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to that since I set it up. It has per-user licensing. If I remember it correctly, it worked out to about $10 a month per user. There were no additional costs. It was pretty straightforward and simple."
  • "We use SolarWinds RMM on a pay-as-you-go monthly basis, so the cost can be highly variable because it depends on a few factors such as how many devices you need to support and what extra features you want to use. The more devices you have, the more you'll pay, and the same goes for extras."
  • "It's expensive and out of our budget."
  • "There is a license required for this solution."
  • N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Reviews

Rajpalsinh Chudasama
    Datacenter Manager at S4 IT Technologies
    Has been helpful during the pandemic because you can dial in from any location
    • "The network device is a good feature. In a place where you need to monitor your firewall switches, you can add an RMM tool and monitor it on the same screen on the same setup for the same client. Network devices are very good."
    • "Kaseya is a similar product and they have easier scripts. If you want to deploy one software to 100 machines, we need to dig into it and then we need to create the script and work with the support team and then we can deploy that particular script. The pre-built scripted is the one thing that I would definitely like to have improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use SolarWinds for everything. One of the main reasons we use it is for remote support. We have a desktop workstation added to multiple clients' sites. Whenever any problem happens, we just dial into the client machine via the remote support tool of the RMM. We then log into the client machine and resolve that particular issue.

We also use the antivirus that is provided along with the RMM setup. The antivirus policy we created depends on the client's requirements. We deploy a particular antivirus on the client site. This tool is the prime use of the current RMM.

Along with that, we also use patch management tools that actually deploy the patch to all the servers and to the client machine. We use a backup manager so whenever we need any particular server backup or any particular folder, we deploy this particular server instead of the backup, and start the backup for them.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the pandemic, my clients sometimes don't have anybody online or onsite. So in my case, it has benefited us multiple times where we didn't have anybody online but with this tool, we can actually dial in from any location. Also, at night, if something goes wrong, for example, if a server goes down or any services go down, we just get an alert from SolarWinds. We work on that particular alert and inform the client. The client just approves certain changes and creates a backup script. We have seen multiple times that nobody was there on-site but the next morning clients' work will not be harmed due to the remote monitoring, remote backup, and remote restore solution that we use from RMM.

If you don't have anybody on site but your business runs 24/7, this type of RMM tool will definitely help you out because it gives you 24/7 monitoring.

You can deploy multiple things, install software, upgrade the server, downgrade the server, and restore the backup remotely. With COVID, it is hard to have somebody always on site. This will help us a lot at this particular time.

It also saves the client's hours for traveling. For example, if you don't have this kind of remote management tool, you need to go onsite and do certain things. With this tool, we can actually tell the client that an issue is for a particular thing. For example, if an entire site is down, we can clearly say that it is an internet-related issue.

What is most valuable?

The automation is also helpful for us. For one of my clients, we see that every two or three days, one or two particular services on one particular server automatically shut down or stop. In that case, we just need to log into the server and start there. We have a predefined script that actually detects the service, digs down, and automatically starts that particular service. That feature is also very helpful.

What needs improvement?

Kaseya is a similar product and they have easier scripts. If you want to deploy one software to 100 machines, we need to dig into it and then we need to create the script and work with the support team and then we can deploy that particular script. The pre-built scripted is the one thing that I would definitely like to have improved.

If my client just wants to install office products, I'm not sure that they can remotely deploy all of the desktops with one click. With Kaseya, users needed to click on a script, select the machine, and it will get deployed in multiple machines.

In my company, I used SolarWinds for around two years. Currently, we have more than 100 servers and more than 400 to 500 clients.

Stability-wise, if you compare it with Kaseya or any other RMM and you compare this RMM, I think it is very good. Their plan is to keep it simple. Rather than giving complex infrastructure where we can do multiple things, but the main aspects are missing, they keep it simple. Every window is the same kind of setup. Whenever you click any window, you'll get the same kind of feeling. You will understand where to click. From a technical support perspective, I feel like due to the simplicity, it will be a long runner.

I haven't used their technical support a lot but when I have, they've been good. Whenever I required any help, I first go online and try certain things myself.

SolarWinds is simple. It's simple to understand for a technical support guy in a screening environment. Whenever we start the product, we know that if you click on something, a server window will open.

They also improved the backup speed.

The initial setup was straightforward compared to other RMM solutions. It's very straightforward and whatever is required was pre-installed for us.

We initially added four or five clients. It took two to three days for a shared setup on the cloud. It went well for us. They also provided us various setups that we could either do manually or could do it automatically because we have fewer clients online and all the clients are working from home. So we prefer to use automation for the client-side and manually for the site where we have refined resources. We use a mixed approach with an automatic and manual setup.

The deployment required four to five people, two or three people from a remote team, and two or three people from support for a total of four to five. If the client requested an on-site visit, then they install this RMM. In that case, we provided that also. Some clients requested they can do it themselves.

We have twelve users who use this solution in my company. Most of them are technical support engineers. It doesn't require maintenance.

Pricing is a little bit higher compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SolarWinds MSP Remote Monitoring & Management a nine out of ten.

You should provide a simple solution where everything is at one point, but it is also really simple for technical support or a client to understand then. If you don't have an antivirus, you can go to a third-party for their services. If you keep the solution as simple as possible, then you definitely will win in this race because they don't want to do all the tasks themselves. If you have level one or level two guy, they also can easily understand that kind of solution. In that case, people will be attracted to the new product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Channel Partner
    IT Director at Dondlinger Construction
    Provides real-time visibility into what's happening on a device and allows us to remotely connect to a device
    • "I like being able to get a picture of what's happening on a computer. I can just click on it, and I can see the CPU usage and the memory usage and what services and programs are currently running. I can connect remotely to a computer. All these are very useful."
    • "We haven't had it for very long, and we're finally getting comfortable with it. The biggest improvement probably would be a little more clarification. It has few exclamation points or attention-getters when there is a computer that doesn't have the up-to-date patches, etc. However, it's not specific in terms of what you need to do. Sometimes, it says it requires a reboot, and you reboot it, but the same message still shows up. Sometimes, the messages that it gives you about how to resolve an issue are not very easy to understand."

What is our primary use case?

We use two or three different SolarWinds products. We have SolarWinds Backup, and we have RMM.

We use it for device monitoring and patch management. We have also integrated it with our EDR. I access it and use it for watching my devices and seeing what's running. We also do some patch management through SolarWinds. SolarWinds has a remote control, so I can connect to a computer.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides quite a bit of real-time visibility. I can go in and see in real-time the processor use and memory use. It displays a list of the processes running currently and the installed software. It also gives me warranty information. So, I know when things are reaching the end of life.

We have also integrated it with our EDR software, so we can look at it on a summary page. We can look at the things that are being blocked. If somebody is trying to access a website or something that is being blocked, we can go and see exactly what's going on there. We also have some configurations that interact with the computers. In the EDR software, we can set some of the things or turn some of the things off.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We haven't had it for very long, and we're finally getting comfortable with it. The biggest improvement probably would be a little more clarification. It has few exclamation points or attention-getters when there is a computer that doesn't have the up-to-date patches, etc. However, it's not specific in terms of what you need to do. Sometimes, it says it requires a reboot, and you reboot it, but the same message still shows up. Sometimes, the messages that it gives you about how to resolve an issue are not very easy to understand.

We have been using their backup solution for about three years. We have been using their RMM solution for about four months.

Its stability is good. We haven't had any issues so far with it not being able to get connected. The biggest concern with a cloud solution is if anything happens to the connection, but we haven't had that issue come up.

It is very scalable. It is being used extensively in our company. It is on all of our devices. The agent runs on all of our servers and all of our computers.

In terms of increasing its usage, we use it as a management and ability tool. There are a couple of us who are interacting with it for accessing the website, connecting, and seeing how things are running. It is restricted to our department because our end-users have no need to go out and look at that information. The information that it is providing is restricted to our department. We have a small three-person IT department, and we're the only ones who really need that type of access. Our users don't have a need to go connect to somebody else's computer to see what's running there or anything like that. So, unless our department grows, I can't see its usage increasing in terms of interacting with the product, but I don't see our department getting much bigger. We might have one or two more people at some point in the future, but it is not going to change a whole lot.

I originally used Spiceworks for some visibility, but there was no real-time visibility. If they were going to improve it, it would be something that can show you what's happening on a computer at the point in time you're looking at it.

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management connects and gives me a chart of the CPU usage and memory usage. It gives me configuration information about the CPU, memory, and everything that is installed on a computer.

It was easy. It is a cloud solution, so we just connected it to the network. It went out and started pulling information in. There were a few devices for which it didn't. It has got an agent it installs, and the agent didn't install automatically on some of the devices. So, we had to do a manual install on some of the devices. That was the only issue we had when we were setting it up.

We're a construction company, and a good number of our users work remotely. Their computers are not always connected to the network. They get on it, they do what they need to do, and then they get off. A part of the problem was that they were out on job sites doing construction work, and their computers weren't always connected. That's why the agents didn't get installed.

When we add new devices, we usually manually install the agent on a new device. This way, we don't have to wait for it to show up.

We have a systems management company that we work with. We purchased it through them, and they helped us set it up. It probably took a day.

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to that since I set it up. It has per-user licensing. If I remember it correctly, it worked out to about $10 a month per user.

There were no additional costs. It was pretty straightforward and simple.

What other advice do I have?

We didn't have any problems with it other than the issue with agent installation when you've remote users who aren't always connected or don't connect for an extended period of time. We have users whose work doesn't have much to do with running the computer. They use it only for payroll and emails. They log on for 10 minutes at a time, and sometimes, that interferes with patch management and other things. The biggest thing is to try to train your users so that they are logged in for about an hour or so periodically, maybe once a week. If you've got remote users, have them connect and stay connected for a while so that it can go out and do what it is supposed to do. We don't have any issues with our computers that are connected all the time.

I would rate it a nine out of 10 because of the access that it gives me to the information on a real-time basis.

Learn what your peers think about N-able Remote Monitoring & Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Service Manager at Baker Computers Ltd
    Reseller
    Makes remote access and remote support much easier and lets us know about a problem before our customers realize it
    • "Remote support has been very handy. It also lets us know if there are failing hard drives or Windows issues."
    • "The alerts and reporting could be done a little more clearly. They are quite cryptic, and quite often, we seem to get a lot of reports just for a computer rebooting or going offline for a couple of minutes, which doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Reporting could be refined and improved, and they can make it easy to decipher the reports."

What is our primary use case?

We offer a service to our customers where we monitor their computers and let them know if there are problems before they realize there are problems. We can offer patch management if they want. Although, not a lot of our customers actually want that.

We're using its latest version. It is installed on each PC, and if our customers also want the antivirus solution, we can install the antivirus as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made remote access and remote support much easier for us and our clients. We have a lot of older clients, and it was getting to be a challenge to even get them to download a client and fire up a client for something like Techinline or any of the other services. With this one, basically, all we have to do is initiate it from our end. There is already an agent on their computer. If our clients need remote support, it makes it easy for us to get remote access to their computers. It just pops up on their screen asking if it's okay for us to connect, and then we can get onto their computer and provide remote software support.

It has also been letting us know of several potential hard drive failures before the customer became aware of the issue. This feature has come in handy for several of our customers, and it has made it a lot easier to clone the hard drive and get them up and running quickly. Our customers don't have to do a full re-install if their Windows crashes and start from scratch.

What is most valuable?

Remote support has been very handy. It also lets us know if there are failing hard drives or Windows issues.

We also get reports from the antivirus scans, which has been very helpful for us and the customers.

What needs improvement?

The alerts and reporting could be done a little more clearly. They are quite cryptic, and quite often, we seem to get a lot of reports just for a computer rebooting or going offline for a couple of minutes, which doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Reporting could be refined and improved, and they can make it easy to decipher the reports.

We've been using it for a couple of years.

It seems to be very stable.

Its scalability has been excellent. We've had to increase our client size several times, and it hasn't been much of an issue at all.

It is being used extensively. If we get more clients who are interested, we're certainly going to increase its usage. We're offering it and pushing it as a solution for our clients at the moment. I haven't heard a count lately, but I'm sure we're well over 300 people on the service for us, which is good for us. We are in a small town. We're not in a large city or area. So, we don't have a huge client base, but based on what we do have, we're doing pretty good.

I haven't interacted with them myself, but the gentleman who does the management of it has talked to them several times. They've been very good.

We were using another one initially. I can't think of the name of it. We switched because N-able was better priced, and it offered more features. The initial one that we had didn't offer an antivirus component, whereas N-able offered the antivirus component.

I was not involved in the initial setup of that, but it was pretty straightforward. It took hours or days and certainly not weeks. After we've got it running at our end, the setup of the client was very easy.

It was implemented in-house. Currently, six people in our business are running it to look after the clients. We have one guy who handles most of the reporting and support. If it gets into an issue that's beyond his capabilities, he usually passes it off to one of us. So, one person is for management, and the rest of us are for support.

What other advice do I have?

It is a pretty good all-around solution, especially for a small business like us who need to look after a limited number of clients. It fits us very well.

We're running it on our own server at the moment. They probably weren't offering the cloud service when we started, but they're now also offering a cloud solution. If someone new is setting it up, they should find out what's best for their situation and whether they want to run their own server or take advantage of cloud service. Of course, there are extra costs for the cloud service, but there are costs for running your own server as well. For someone new, it would be very important to look at which way you want to go in terms of running your own server or using their cloud service.

I would rate N-able Remote Monitoring & Management a nine out of ten. It comes back to reporting. I'd like to see its reporting improved a little bit to get it up to ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Re-Seller
    IT Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Lets us keep an eye on client infrastructure at all times in one central portal
    • "I'm really happy with the background remote access, which allows me to easily change system internals such as registry keys and silently execute commands using the command prompt in the background. This kind of remote access makes it easy for us to do our jobs without getting in the customer's way."
    • "There is quite a bit of delay on the portal where we receive monitoring information from the endpoint agent on the remote device. Sometimes it gets stuck with no live response from the device, and you have to refresh the portal just to make sure that it's projecting the right information."

What is our primary use case?

My main use case for SolarWinds RMM is monitoring my customers' infrastructure and devices. I use it primarily as a patch manager, but it also finds use in many recurring IT jobs that we undertake for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

SolarWinds RMM has really eased the way in which we remotely manage client infrastructure. It's got a very comprehensive suite of features for remote access and monitoring, so we can keep an eye on everything in one central place and not have to use several different solutions at the same time.

What is most valuable?

I'm really happy with the background remote access, which allows me to easily change system internals such as registry keys and silently execute commands using the command prompt in the background. This kind of remote access makes it easy for us to do our jobs without getting in the customer's way.

Compared to other remote access solutions that we tried, like Splashtop, SolarWinds gave us more complete functionality and flexibility.

What needs improvement?

Reliable live monitoring of remote devices is important to me, so I think it needs more improvement with regard to the communication between the agent and the portal.

I have used SolarWinds MSP Remote Monitoring & Management for at least two years now.

At first we had a few problems with the network discovery interface not showing us all the details that we were looking for. I think it was related to a bug on the specific version that we were using, which was fixed in a later version.

We've also come across some web browser issues when accessing the online SolarWinds portal. In particular, we have sometimes run into trouble when creating new portal users. This was mostly related to plugin or extension compatibility issues, if I recall correctly.

Besides that, everything runs smoothly and the software operates as intended.

The tech support was okay. When I encountered any problems, I sent a support request via email and I typically got a response within 24 to 48 hours, depending on the problem.

The actual follow-ups are decent, and we've always been given the right information to solve whatever problem we have come across. I've seen better support, but I wouldn't say that it was lacking in any way.

Initial setup was quite easy. In terms of deployment, the great part is that you can set up one device and with that device's setup configuration, you can just do a full deployment on every other device in the environment. This aspect is a great time-saver and reduces the need to repeatedly call in the IT manager to configure each and every device separately.

In our case, we mostly only require one in-house team member to be responsible for managing and updating the SolarWinds RMM software itself. Otherwise, our company's primary job is to make sure everything is secure and running smoothly.

We use SolarWinds RMM on a pay-as-you-go monthly basis, so the cost can be highly variable because it depends on a few factors such as how many devices you need to support and what extra features you want to use. The more devices you have, the more you'll pay, and the same goes for extras.

I advise others to select only those features that you really need and to scale up the amount of supported devices as your business or client base grows.

We considered Ninja RMM, ConnectWise, and SolarWinds N-Central as alternatives but in the final analysis we chose SolarWinds RMM for cost-efficiency reasons and because it suited our purposes better.

For instance, N-Central was way too sophisticated for our needs, while ConnectWise's payment plan wasn't appropriate for our specific use cases.

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds RMM is a comprehensive remote monitoring solution with a lot of different features for different scenarios, many of which may not be relevant to your company's operations. Most of these features will add extra costs to using the software, so make sure you select only what you will actually be using or you may have to pay an unnecessarily large bill.

I would rate SolarWinds RMM an eight out of ten.

Other
    IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 11-50 employees
    Real-time monitoring platform that is stable with good support
    • "We like that this solution is in real-time, it gives us real-time monitoring."
    • "I would like to see notifications sent with SMS."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to monitor the connectivity of our network devices.

What is most valuable?

We like that this solution is in real-time, it gives us real-time monitoring.

If there is an issue with the equipment or there is no connectivity, we receive a notification immediately. From the dashboard, we can see which devices are currently down.

What needs improvement?

After testing, we decided not to proceed with this product. It is very good and has many features, but the cost is very expensive so it is beyond our budget. We decided to use other software.

I would like to see notifications sent with SMS. For example, when we are outside or we are working remotely, we wouldn't need an internet connection to know if there are any failures or disconnections in our systems. We would know by receiving an SMS notification.

We have been using SolarWinds for three months.

The stability is very good.

SolarWinds MSP is scalable.

We have approximately 200 users.

We were satisfied with technical support.

Previously, we were using PRTG network monitoring. Their features are similar to SolarWinds but the cost is less.

It took three months to deploy SolarWinds MSP. The implementation itself was only a week but the testing took three months.

We did not complete the setup with just our team. We had help from a third-party vendor who completed the setup for us.

It's expensive and out of our budget.

Currently, we are testing Cisco Umbrella.

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds is very good, it's one of the leaders in Gartner Magic Quadrant. The issue is the expense of this product.

We had a team of three to deploy and maintain it during our testing. They are network and system administrators.

While it's expensive, I would definitely recommend this product to others.

Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Functional administration panel, reliable, and effective monitoring

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used to monitor and manage networks remotely.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides an administration panel where we can see what is happening on our client's stations, such as events, alerts, and all the software installed.

What needs improvement?

The solutions could improve by adding more features.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution stability is good.

We did not have any issues with the scalability, the solution functions well. Most of our customers are medium-sized companies and we have approximately 60 stations.

How are

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used to monitor and manage networks remotely.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solutions could improve by adding more features.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution stability is good.

We did not have any issues with the scalability, the solution functions well.

The support could improve.

The initial setup is easy. However, the complexity of the full installation can be quite high. There are a lot of areas to configure, it is necessary to have knowledge on several points of the software.

We have one person who does all the maintenance of the infrastructure.

Depending on your system configuration, it can provide a very good ROI because it has a tool for online backup that is necessary for this time we are living in with all the risks from hackers and threats.

There is a license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to understand what is happening on your network, this is a good tool.

I rate N-able Remote Monitoring Management an eight out of ten.

Download our free N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.