IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is #2 ranked solution in top Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) tools and #3 ranked solution in top Remote Access tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Remote Desktop Services an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is most commonly compared to TeamViewer: Microsoft Remote Desktop Services vs TeamViewer. Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Remote Access Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Microsoft Remote Desktop Services?
Remote Desktop Services is a server role in Windows Server that provides technologies that enable users to access session-based desktops, virtual machine-based desktops, or applications in the data center from both within a corporate network and from the Internet. Remote Desktop Services enables a rich-fidelity desktop or application experience, and helps to securely connect remote users from managed or unmanaged devices.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services was previously known as Remote Desktop Services, MS Remote Desktop Services.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Customers
Bank Alfalah Ltd.
Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Video

Archived Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Reviews (more than two years old)

Microsoft UC Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good remote application access that can be allowed on a per-user or per-group basis
  • "The most valuable feature is the remote application access."
  • "There are problems with using Microsoft Teams within a virtual desktop on a mobile device."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator and Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is one of the products that we have been implementing for our clients. This software provides a Windows 10 desktop on a virtual machine.

It's a multi-session VDI solution that allows people to work from home. It allows users to access company resources and applications, which is important because we don't want them using their personal home networks to access corporate devices. This helps prevent problems such as the introduction of a computer virus from home to office.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the remote application access. You can update applications and assign them to different groups of users. For example, one user might require Microsoft Visio, whereas another user does not require it. Access can be granted by segmenting users into different groups.

What needs improvement?

There are problems with using Microsoft Teams within a virtual desktop on a mobile device. Specifically, if you are using Teams and conferencing, then there is no microphone capability. To be clear, if you install Teams directly on your mobile device then it will work. However, if you use it as an application within the virtual desktop that is running on the mobile device, it does not work. This is something that needs to be fixed.

I have been working with RDS for about three years.

Remote Access
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, TeamViewer, Citrix and others in Remote Access. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Generally, this solution is stable.

Scalability-wise, it is very good. There is auto-scaling, so if there are more users required then Azure will help you to automatically manage it. In addition, it is HA, so I think that the overall scalability is pretty good.

I have not been in contact with technical support. There is a good community of people who write about Microsoft solutions in blogs, which is helpful.

Setting up the basic service is quite simple. It's more of managing your Windows image, such as a Windows 10 image, which probably requires some expertise. It is very fast to deploy and you can have everything ready within a day.

The setup is quite clear and you don't need a team to do it. All of the instructions are available on the internet and because it's a Microsoft solution, there are many blogs available with the steps for you to follow.

It will probably cost about $500 USD to get the resources set up in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first ensure that the network is set up properly. The applications need to be set up properly because if the applications are being used on-premises, but the virtual machines are stored in the cloud, then you will incur additional charges for accessing them.

This is a good solution, although it is still new compared to some other remote desktop services that have been out there for a very long time. It still has room for improvement such as accessing the microphone for Android remote access. Because of this, using it on an Android device may not be the best choice.

Hybrid Cloud
Technical Manager at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Has a good profile in the new version but it needs better monitoring abilities
  • "In terms of the valuable features, I like the profile, the new version is really good."
  • "The DB card needs improvement. I have a lot of experience with other competitors and Citrix is better than VMware and Microsoft. Citrix has more extensive features."

What is most valuable?

In terms of the valuable features, I like the profile, the new version is really good.

What needs improvement?

The DB card needs improvement. I have a lot of experience with other competitors and Citrix is better than VMware and Microsoft. Citrix has more extensive features.

I have been using this solution since 2003.

I haven't had to reach out to support.

The pricing is fair. Our customers are satisfied.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Remote Desktop Services a seven out of ten.

In the next release, there should be one management console to manage all of the servers and rules. That would be a good improvement.

It also needs a better tool for monitoring. We need to test the user experience.

Hybrid Cloud
Remote Access
July 2022
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Geeth Shammika - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at KBSL Information Technologies
Easy to set up, quick to deploy, and the desktop virtualization is good
  • "The most valuable features are the desktop session and desktop virtualization."
  • "My customers are worried that the RDP protocol can be easily compromised and would like the option to use an alternative like Blast."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is a product that we implement for our customers.

We use Microsoft RDS in conjunction with VMware for desktop virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the desktop session and desktop virtualization.

What needs improvement?

My customers are worried that the RDP protocol can be easily compromised and would like the option to use an alternative like Blast. The details of RDP are available to everyone and it has been used in industry for many years, so people know what points are vulnerable. If there were a patented protocol available as an option then people would be happy because they will be more assured of the security. Tweaking this would be really good in terms of security.

I have been working with Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for between five and six years.

Microsoft RDS is reliable.

It is really easy to scale-up or scale-out. Just add one, two, or three cells and it works. It's really straightforward.

I have never been in contact with Microsoft technical support.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and I haven't had any issues in the past three years.

The solution has a perpetual license and it is purchased upfront.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that it is really easy to set up and it can be deployed in an urgent manner, depending on the environment. If you need remote access and do not have the expertise, yet it is an emergency situation, then this could be a great product.

If you're looking for a good end-user experience and you're concerned about all of the features, then Microsoft does not have all that VMware does. It can do almost everything, but there are some features that it does not support.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Systems Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to configure and provides full accessibility to my servers

What is our primary use case?

This is our primary tool for monitoring our services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it gives me full accessibility to my servers.

It is easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

Security in the connection between us and our clients' servers is something that can be improved.

We have been using Remote Desktop Services for about ten years.

This solution is extremely stable and we use it on a daily basis.

In my office, we have about ten people who are using Microsoft RDS.

We have not contacted Microsoft support for help with this product.

The initial setup is quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

We use a VPN between sites to provide our own security.

Overall, it is an excellent tool that works great and I would recommend it. The most important thing is to update and improve the security protocols.

Yasser.Youssef - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Infrastructure and Operations General Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
A secure solution for desktop virtualization, but the user experience needs improvement
  • "The most valuable features are availability and security."
  • "We are searching for a product with better remote access and remote sessions."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cisco AnyConnect to create a VPN that Microsoft Remote Desktop Services uses to connect to and control a remote computer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are availability and security.

What needs improvement?

We are searching for a product with better remote access and remote sessions.

The user experience needs improvement.

We are only using Microsoft RDS on a temporary basis for people to work remotely during the COVID-19 crisis.

The scalability is limited to small and medium-sized organizations.

The technical support from Microsoft is very good.

What other advice do I have?

Remote work is getting bigger and bigger and we are searching for a new solution that is more secure and provides more remote access features.

This is a good solution but Microsoft is not number one in the market for VDI. I would recommend it for a small to medium-sized business, but not for an enterprise-level company.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Product Owner IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's predictable but they need to develop better support for remote desktops for alternative platforms
  • "I like that it works. In most cases, it's predictable. You know what you get."
  • "Microsoft still has some really bad remote desktop appliance for Mac."

What is our primary use case?

We use Remote Desktop Services for a few things. My experience started with Microsoft Remote Desktop when I tried to reuse really low power desktop machines to turn them from these desktop machines into class remote desktop terminals. That is my initial experience with Microsoft Remote Desktop. My most current experience with Microsoft Remote Desktop is using a specific Microsoft product on the servers where you don't have any chance to administer them using the web browser. SCCM, active directory administration and other Wintel server roles are most handy and the most secure to administer from the Microsoft Management Console. Therefore, you need to do it at least from some instance of the Microsoft windows server.

What is most valuable?

I like that it works. In most cases, it's predictable. You know what you get.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft still has some really bad remote desktop appliances for Mac. This is really frustrating because if I'm on windows I can remove the Microsoft remote desktop applied for Windows, but I'm already using windows, I always have an option B. I can still plug directly with Microsoft management console from the windows station and still do something remotely. But on a Mac, I have to rely purely on the Microsoft Remote Desktop.

If I need to pass second-factor authentication, not a one-time password thing, if I do a Microsoft remote desktop session, I have to reach the first server, which is my best one. From that server, you're actually going inside your protective network. Then on the second spot, you are not able to pass a YubiKey and go any farther. That creates the problem. We have had many support tickets.

With this new company, I have been using this solution for two and a half years, but overall I have 15 years of experience.

It is being used mainly on a Mac platform.

I would say it's stable.

In the last setup, we had 3,000 users. It wasn't the nicest experience.

My experience with support is varied. It really depends. It varies depending on which support line you get. If you say you're a particular engineer then they won't really bother to support you. But if you say you have an enterprise contract and that you're a big company and you have a contract then they offer better support.

We previously used Citrix. Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is a more developed version of Citrix.

I would recommend going for VMware.

Microsoft programs are never easy to install but the installation wasn't something we didn't expect.

We deployed it on our own.

We use enterprise orchestration so it doesn't take too long to deploy. Microsoft products do not really play along with the open-source orchestration platforms. Once you overcome this, it becomes easier.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend going with this solution because I wouldn't recommend going for a big enterprise setup.

I would rate it a four out of ten.

In the next release, they should develop better support for remote desktops for alternative platforms. It's really lacking consistency. If I have to support terminal server clusters and I have to do change management on the big cluster, then I actually run into a lot of issues both on the Microsoft Remote Desktop as well as Citrix. They should provide a consistent user experience. It's a pain to roll out changes into a different mode of the cluster and to propagate them over multiple modes. I end up in a situation where a portion of my users get the changes and the other portion doesn't.

Information Systems Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
Reliable, easy to use, and easy to integrate with a security framework
  • "It's almost an out of the box function once you have installed the other components."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see better performance over slower networks, and integration with Linux, but this is something that we're going to get out of Microsoft in terms of a unified solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to improve mobility and to access current sessions from different locations.

What is most valuable?

Reliability is a key feature for us.

The ease of use, as well as ease of integration within our security framework, are valuable.

What needs improvement?

We need to extend over a potentially slower network, and we have heard that performance over slower networks is not as good. I understand that there are other products out there that work better over slower networks.

In the next release, I would like to see better performance over slower networks, and integration with Linux, but this is something that we're going to get out of Microsoft in terms of a unified solution. It rolls out to bigger issues and access management with being unified with Microsoft and Linux.

This hasn't quite come together, I would have to get other products outside of Windows to get this to work.

The unified solution may be a cross-platform solution, which would be great in the future.

I have been using this solution for six years.

We are running a remote desktop from our workstations, not from our servers, and we are running an old Windows 7 version that is just about to be retired.

This solution is stable, I am not aware of any outstanding issues.

In terms of how we use it in our environment, it's not an issue for us, this solution is scalable.

We have approximately 50 users, who are mostly consultants. We are a small consultancy organization, and we are mostly IT.

I have not contacted technical support directly and I know the team doesn't have any issues with this. Usually, we get a reasonably good turn around time. Not against remote desktop, I don't believe that we have had support for that.

In general with Microsoft, it's been good.

Previously we experimented with other products, but for the moment we are staying with Microsoft remote desktops.

There are other products that we are looking for. At the moment we have four different platforms, and maybe having a unified solution might be the key reason to change in the future. We need a cross-platform solution. We have to have remote access, for example, on Linux Solutions as well, and we don't want to be running on different clients.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It's almost an out-of-the-box function once you have installed the other components.

Once you have set up your workstations and your servers, it's not a big deal to switch on and enable and integrate with Active Directory or remote logins.

In terms of testing, it took half a day to a day's work to ensure that it was working.

We implemented this solution with our in-house team.

Retrospectively, no, we selected Microsoft and used it.

We are doing some research at the moment to see what we will do in the future for our next generation of infrastructure and renewal.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution, and especially if you already have Microsoft running then it's probably one of the better solutions to choose from.

I am not sure whether it's the best future cross-platform solution when we are running multiple workstation environments with different platforms.

I am really happy with Microsoft Remote Desktop Services in our current environment. We have no issues at the moment.

‎Database Administrator with 51-200 employees
Stable solution for remote desktop services

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for remote desktop services.

What needs improvement?

We find the services are not as transparent as we would like for our integration with Citrix.

More than five years.

Stability is quite good.

We currently have 300 users. We do not have any current plans to increase the usage. It is scalable for our needs.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took only two hours. We did it all in-house.

The pricing is moderate.

it_user125988 - PeerSpot reviewer
Client Technologies Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable features are resilience and thin provisioning.

What is most valuable?

• Resilience: Has alllowed our 24/7 acute hospital to run electronic prescribing on the wards with limited downtime or post-setup configuration.
  • Thin provisioning: Our core applications mean that our WiFi connected devices can drop-off the network without causing patient record locks.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled our clinical staff to get real-time medicine prescribing information at the patients' bedside with a near 100% service uptime.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Single Sign-On (SSO) could be improved.

At release time, there was not a lot of information around. We invested some long hours researching. The documentation from Microsoft was difficult to find. Now there are plenty of step-by-step guides around.

I have used it for four years.

Initially, the configuration I setup used DNS round-robin. This was changed to a NLB setup on our session hosts.

This has improved the stability of the clients' Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connectivity. It has given us granular control over stopping connections for downtime/maintenance windows.

We did not encounter any scalability issues.

We actioned this with a limited budget. We completed it all in-house with no external technical support other than searching on the internet and testing.

We run Citrix alongside this solution for our internet connected clients. Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS) was used primarily over our LAN/WAN.

The initial setup was a little complex. Like any thin client setup, some applications are trickier than others.

I could not see the benefits of using Citrix as you require RDS CALs regardless. We see this solution as a very good value.

We evaluated Citrix.

What other advice do I have?

• We have found this to be very stable with a quite straightforward setup. However, Single Sign-On (SSO) certificates are a little fiddly.
  • Ensure that the underlying infrastructure is fully tested, robust, and scalable.
  • Our early problems stemmed from our hypervisor issues. Because clients only heard it was the RDS farm, I took a lot of heat on issues that were out of my control.
it_user521823 - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Sales Engineer with 201-500 employees
The app that they provide works off Mac and Windows.

What is most valuable?

The ability to actually interface with a Windows desktop is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes things easier. The app that they provide you works off Mac and Windows. Even if I have my instance upon Azure or any other cloud platform, I can just use the normal Desktop Services app to give it an IP, the logon credentials, and just log in. It is done very easily.

Then it lets you into the VN. It creates sort of this window for you and allows you to interface with the VN. You can treat it as a separate window among your other apps. It actually works as a very good app on the underlying OS.

What needs improvement?

When I am connecting, I can do so from a Mac command line. However, to log in to a Windows server, I need to use this client. If Microsoft can find a way to remote into a Windows VN without using a client like this, that would be great.

I don't know how doable it is, or how easy it is to do, but maybe it's a limitation of the OS itself. Having a secondary app to log in to a remote VN is not ideal, but the app itself is very good.

We have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It is stable. It has never quit or crashed on me. It connects me to what I need.

Even if the VN is slow, it lets me know that the VN is slow and that there are issues with it. The app itself doesn't crash, which is good to know.

I don’t know whether it can scale to a large VN subset, or whether it can allow me the capability to log in to multiple VNs at the same time.

If that would work, I don’t know what the performance would be on it. I suspect that it wouldn't be that good. For personal use, it is a great app.

I haven't used their support at all. I never had the need to.

What other advice do I have?

I would say absolutely get this product. For enterprise usage, I don't know how viable it would be. I am not very aware of all the capabilities within that app.

The idea is that if you are setting up separate VNs, you have to click on to get connected to each VN. It doesn't sound intuitive to me.

If they have an enterprise offering that goes away from that experience, I think it would be usable. But for just managing your own VN form, it is real easy. It's a personal VN form.

it_user522144 - PeerSpot reviewer
Programmer Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It's compatible with Mac. I can do tasks that require Windows. For example, Excel field add-ons.

What is most valuable?

It becomes easy to use since I am using a Mac. It is easy for me to use Windows when I'm using the remote desktop. It's very compatible with Mac. It's easy for me to do any of my tasks that require Windows.

How has it helped my organization?

For my university project, I was doing a data mining project. I had a Mac which does not support the Excel field add-ons that only Windows supported. The report desktop feature helped me to just commute into it.

What needs improvement?

The speed should be a little more. When you're pitching from Mac to Windows, it takes a little more time than what is required. It can improve its speed. That's it. Everything else looks fine. I just started using it a year back, so that is what I can point out right now.

It has been a year that I have been using this solution.

It's stable. Actually, it is fast and compatible. It's quite reliable.

As of now, I haven't found the need to reach out for support. Everything was fine, so I didn't have any questions.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it. You can actually use it. I have worked as an intern in Electronic Arts and they do use it.

it_user522159 - PeerSpot reviewer
Management at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It gives me secure access into my system at work and is stable.

What is most valuable?

It allows access to the computer from any location.

How has it helped my organization?

I can telecommute into the office. Since we have to be on a secure network, it gives me access into my system at work that is more secure than my system at home.

What needs improvement?

There could be better options and it could be faster. I haven't had too many issues with it, but it's just a very basic program.

I haven't had any issues with the stability of the product.

I haven't experienced any scalability issues. Although, I can see some issues with it but for a small company right now, it's working.

We were using a previous solution. However, I needed ways to telecommute to the office and I came across this solution; it seemed like the best bet.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, important factors while selecting a vendor are reliability, support (if needed) and scalability of the solution.

Infrastructure Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It offers load balancing among RDS Host servers, with optional High Availability. Installation of applications on an RDS farm should be controlled and automated.

What is most valuable?

Load balancing: RDS Broker servers divide user sessions evenly among the RDS Host servers that host the applications. You can install multiple RDS Broker servers in an RDS cluster; this is built-in and no extra resources are needed. Optionally, the cluster can be made Highly Available if needed.

High Availability (HA): easy to set up - once the MS SQL database is created and the RDS Broker servers have the needed rights, the database is created automatically and HA is enabled.

How has it helped my organization?

Applications are ready for BYOD scenario’s, since RDP is a multi-OS/device technology. No more app testing for client OS migrations.

The valuable features I mentioned assure a stable and highly available environment with maximum uptime for business users. Also, they assure that assigned resources (application RDS hosts) are optimally used, without the need for any extra administrator intervention or monitoring.

What needs improvement?

Currently, installation of applications on an RDS farm must be performed manually on each server. This should be more controlled and automated.

Also, application sources are mixed on the file system and registry level. They should be in separate ‘containers’.

We did not have any problems with stability.

There are no issues with scalability. At any time, an RDS Host server can be added to any server collection. Also, some additional parameters allow us tocontrol and scale the expected user load (session limit, RDS Host weight).

Technical support is OK if you have MS Premier support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Installation of the RDS farm was pretty easy. Configuration is a little harder; you need to configure trusted certificates (RDS 2012 allows HTTPS only), add groups and group policies for users, RDS hosts, server collections, etc.

Once configuration is done, management is easy.

There are two choices for RDS CALs (Client Access Licenses). Device CALs are cheap but allow low user mobility and require a high management effort (‘static’ or ‘task station’ scenario). User CALs are 20% more expensive, but offer high mobility and low management cost (‘dynamic’ or ‘mobile’ scenario).

We did not evaluate any other options.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to start in a lab environment to thoroughly test your infrastructure setup and configuration.

Use User CALs, they give much lower TCO.

Also, for applications you envision to provision on RDS, test whether they install correctly on Windows Server.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have a partnership with Microsoft.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Pros:- The client is included with every version

Pros:

- The client is included with every version of Windows shipped, is available for iOS and Mac as well.

- The client is incredibly versatile, and allows for use of a server/computer like you are sitting in front of it.

Cons:

- The server is only active on certain versions of Windows.

- Bandwidth may affect the UE.

- Remote access from another network requires port forwarding or VPN access.

RDP provides a secure connection to your remote machine, and is included in Windows without any additional licensing cost (limited to a certain number of machines however).

it_user5520 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Remote desktop services is top rated while providing convenience and security.

Valuable Features:

Remote desktop services are similar to terminal based settings where multiple terminals connect to a server. A user has the ability to run programs, view files, etc. Each session is independent and secure. All application execution takes place on the server. Allows for IT staff to install all software, databases, etc on the server rather than on individual pc's. Provides centralized management of operating system images.

Room for Improvement:

Network bandwidth may limit a users experience with remote desktop services. If you don't have vpn/terminal access, you cannot use remote desktop. If network or server goes down, you cannot do any work. There may be some lag in running modern development tools.

Other Advice:

For all users that love the convenience of being able to work from any location. Provides a secure network connection. There is the potential of lowering developers cost. A great way to get more work from your employees at all times.
it_user3870 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user3870Senior Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees

Nice review! I just wanted to mention that I love deploying remote desktop solutions - whether its gateways or rdp farms.

However one thing that still bugs me is remote printing..

Ever since "Easy print" was introduced it caused a lot of complications with remote printing, so the only thing I would like to mention is - disable "easy print" if you want to avoid issues with remote printing.

When disabling "easy print" we basically say to windows look to see if a driver is installed before giving the printer a generic one!

Wissam

Download our free Remote Access Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, TeamViewer, Citrix, and more!
Updated: July 2022