IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

McAfee MVISION Endpoint OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is #26 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give McAfee MVISION Endpoint an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. McAfee MVISION Endpoint is most commonly compared to Trellix Endpoint Security: McAfee MVISION Endpoint vs Trellix Endpoint Security. McAfee MVISION Endpoint is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
McAfee MVISION Endpoint Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee MVISION Endpoint Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is McAfee MVISION Endpoint?

McAfee MVISION Endpoint delivers enhanced detection and correction capabilities to augment native Microsoft Windows security controls, which are always up to date. Machine learning, credential theft monitoring, and rollback remediation boost the basic security built into the Windows and effectively combat advanced, zero-day threats.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint Video

McAfee MVISION Endpoint Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee MVISION Endpoint pricing:
  • "MVISION is intended as an enterprise product and it is priced like one. This solution is within the price range of competitors at the enterprise level."
  • "Customers would need to purchase a license. If a customer purchases an MVISION Endpoint license, he may use that license to install ENS. It's a flexible license where you have the option to either use the McAfee security software or the Windows Defender managed by McAfee, which is MVISION Endpoint."
  • "Licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis."
  • "It is based on an annual subscription."
  • "Licensing fees are paid yearly."
  • "We are on an annual subscription for McAfee MVISION Endpoint. The cost for the license could be less expensive."
  • McAfee MVISION Endpoint Reviews

Prasanna VA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technical Manager at Incedo Inc.
    This recognized brand has been reliable in the past but seems to be losing ground to competition
    • "It is scalable and stable and the initial setup is the easiest part of using the product."
    • "Intrusion detection and intervention seem to be falling behind the competition."

What is our primary use case?

McAfee MVISION is security for integrated VMware and OpenSite cloud solutions.

What is most valuable?

McAfee is fine as an endpoint. We are offering the product to clients for data protection. It is not about this being a reactive solution like a firewall. There should be a shield of gateways, wherever possible, whenever this security solution can be implemented.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem we had with this product was when the DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) did not respond well to a threat. We experienced one virus attack that the product did not catch. I do not know the exact CDC (Communication Device Class) details. That time, we did an analysis, but the systems crashed. We could not even access the infected file servers.

Because we could not access the servers in that attack, we could not even remove all the threats. Eventually, what we had to do is find out which servers got infected and then we had to roll back those servers to a previous backup. It left us in a little bit of a vulnerable situation. It ended up not being what we hoped for in an endpoint solution.

Because McAfee was infected, other endpoint protections were also affected that made the situation more difficult to resolve.

Improvements that I would like to see in MVISION would be to provide some additional features for the cloud to make their product a one-stop solution. For example, every organization is going into hybrid-cloud. That may allow part of a solution on-site. That can be part of multi-tier platforms and would be more flexible.

What they can do is offer more in order to be a leader in innovation for different architectures rather than for enterprise only. For example, the endpoint security product uses every desktop like service. They have the features for the hardware detection and the platform access, then on the application layers. These three layers are a part of the firewall. So these are the firewall and then there are other things they could be offering as a single source to create a more secure environment as a proactive solution.

This is something that definitely could be improved, especially with intrusion detection and intervention. It is very important to do more to cover the security of these more invasive practices. So, they could improve things with a web application firewall, and improve intrusion detection and prevention. Those should be the key areas which they are focusing on right now to improve the utility of the product moving forward.

If you have a look into the Gartner report, there are many companies that are making advances in this category of product and it means competition for McAfee.

I have been using this type of product from McAfee since about six years ago off and on.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about McAfee MVISION Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I think it is a stable product. It needs to be more robust in identifying threats.

It is a scalable, of course, as it is designed for enterprise use. It is scalable unless you do not configure it correctly and try to work with it without knowing how to do it.

We have been in touch with the McAfee technical support. They also struggled with a problem we had with an infected server. I was involved in the contact with McAfee at the time when trying to resolve the issue. Ultimately, they did not have any solution for the problem and we ended up rolling back the server. In all that is a bit of a problem with the product and the technical support. Neither were optimal.

The installation and implementation are the easiest parts of using the product. The real difference comes in how you want to optimize the performance. That is the key. Otherwise, implementation is not challenging.

By optimizing the performance, I mean that you should not change the function of the basic purpose of a security product. If it is a firewall implemented on the network, that product should be providing the service without excessive expense or resources in performance. We are looking at the cloud solutions in the same sense. There can be performance concerns for products on the cloud. It is a known factor.

Then the second point is all about the features and configuration. The question is about configuration management using tools on the cloud platforms. You may be using multiple clouds. You have to be sure you can configure it so the product remains secure across platforms. Security solutions should also focus on providing that rather than forcing users on to different products and having to manage multiple solutions.

The deployment for McAfee MVISION Endpoint, after everything has been considered and all of the points have been taken into account, takes some time. Say we have got around 3,000 to 10,000 servers. The type of configurations can be critical. If the client provides a rule-based requirement, we have to go with their requirements. Depending on what needs to be configured, this can take more or less time. Each of the servers will take a certain amount of time to do the implementation. So the time estimate for the implementation has to include the customer requirements. Analysis has to be completed for each unique need.

The maintenance is looked after by the client. It should not take more than five to six team members, even if we have a client with 3,000 servers. That is the number of people that we would expect once the product is properly organized and implemented.

That should not be considered just an eight-hour per day effort. It needs to be serviced around the clock because the servers do not sleep. Deployment of people to maintenance teams is important.

With the installation complete, the configuration done, and the maintenance team in place, using the product is all about monitoring it. A lot of intrusion detection is getting automated now, but not everything will be. Someone has to take some time doing analytics with the logs.

We try to configure the solution to sort out many things. We have to work with what the client is expecting and configure for that level of load and to get proper alerts. The configuration will probably be ongoing as a part of maintenance and review.

MVISION is intended as an enterprise product and it is priced like one. That is what I can say about the pricing. Enterprise organizations will be able to make the expenditure and it will not be practical for most smaller organizations. This solution is within the price range of competitors at the enterprise level.

We definitely evaluated other products and continue to. We have to put our case forward for justifying our products and solutions within our company and with our clients. It has been an experience with the POC. Whatever the product and features, the cost-benefit analysis has to be taken in terms of leaky security. That may not matter for certain situations and products, but from our testing and experience, it will definitely matter for this product right now.

Our company has to make a decision about whether they have to switch to a different product internally. If we try to become a partner with a certain company and begin to resell that to other clients, we can get a better price in a negotiation. This may affect the product we end up using.

We definitely need to explore a lot. In this case, it will take a lot of time to consider the benefits of various products and cost-benefits.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering this solution is that they should take a look at it. As of now, that is all I can say. I was not focused on working with all of the products within this category and, after a long time, I am working with them again. Just these last three or four months, I am back into evaluating the security solution sets more rigorously.

I am not biased at this point and have to leave the possibilities wide open in order to make a good recommendation.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate McAfee MVISION Endpoint as a five to six in a range of ten. The rating is not about the product being perfect, I am not rating it too high because the things that are missing are things that really should be a part of a superior endpoint solution already. They have so much to work on as of now with this product that it seems to be lagging behind. With their experience in the business, they should know these things are important. If you look into the other competing products of whatever brand, the competition has already released identity and access management. The new organizations in the category are coming into this field with all the latest innovations. As more of them do, they will create a challenge in the marketplace. McAfee is lagging a little behind and not moving quickly to keep up.

Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    Can be easily used by lay security personnel who are generalists
    • "MVISION Endpoint is so much easier and so much simpler for the lay security personnel to handle."
    • "MVISION Endpoint is only compatible with Windows 10 and Windows 2016 and above. If I were using a Linux operating system, I would not be able to use MVISION Endpoint."

What is our primary use case?

MVISION Endpoint is the management software for McAfee that manages the Windows Defender. It manages the Windows Defender anti-malware, Windows Defender Exploit Guard, and Windows Defender Firewall. These are the three main components that McAfee manages centrally from an ePO, and that ePO can be an on-premises ePO management server, or it can be an MVISION ePO management server on McAfee cloud. So, management can be both on the cloud and on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It's simple and very easy to use. Before MVISION Endpoint, McAfee had their own Endpoint Security software called ENS, which included their anti-malware engine. Even though ENS was a comprehensive product and a very good product as well, it was confusing for some professionals.

In the times that we live in now, an IT personnel, even a specialized one, is a generalist. So you have an IT person who is managing the firewall and endpoint security, and also managing the ERP and backups, and the switches as well. Everything in the environment will be handed over to a single person.

A product like McAfee ENS is pretty extensive and allows for advanced configurations, especially for security professionals. However, IT personnel often fail to configure it properly. MVISION Endpoint is so much easier and so much simpler for the lay security personnel to handle. This is what I really like about it.

McAfee has an on-premises ePO server, which you can install on your environment. You can add your infrastructure and push the agents all from the console; so you literally don't have to do anything on your own. From the dashboard, you'll push the agents, install them, configure them, and manage them all from the console.

What needs improvement?

McAfee has several MVISION products. It will be really amazing if they could be consolidated into one dashboard. As of now, I know that this is on the roadmap and is expected to be released very soon. It'll unify the management of the various MVISION portfolios. It will be a great tool for improvement.

Instead of needing separate management consoles to manage some of the products in the portfolio, a unified console for MVISION Cloud, MVISION EDR, MVISION Endpoint, MVISION DLP, and the remaining MVISION portfolio would be great. I believe that McAfee is addressing this at present.

A drawback with the cloud MVISION ePO is that you can't push agents from the cloud portal. You need to download that agent, and you need to figure out a way to install that agent into the machines.

I'd like to see MVISION Endpoint for other platforms because MVISION Endpoint is only compatible with Windows 10 and Windows 2016 and above. If I were using a Linux operating system, I would not be able to use MVISION Endpoint.

I'd like to see it in the Mac operating system as well. I'd like to see cross-compatibility, which would be great. Even though McAfee has a simpler product for Androids and the iOS, it would be great to see the ease of use of MVISION Endpoint across the portfolio.

I've been using it for two years.

McAfee doesn't provide the security software. It manages the security software which is built in to the Windows 10 and Windows Servers 2016 and above. Unlike McAfee ENS, which uses its own software to do the scanning and its own signature database that could add lots of clutter to the operating system, MVISION Endpoint uses Windows Defender, so there's no added overhead for the machines. As a result, it is pretty stable.

In terms of scalability, you can deploy as many agents to as many machines and protect them from the ePO, whether it's an on-premises ePO or one on the cloud.

Technical support is great. I didn't have to interact with them that much, but they provided good support at the times when I had to reach them. They were responsive; that is, I'd get a response within the same day.

In my experience, the installation has been straightforward.

The only major issue is that if a client is going to have his ePO on the cloud, his management server will be on the cloud. So I will need to push agents to lots of machines. There is no automated deployment from the cloud to on-premises machines. That means that I need to download the McAfee agents and have to take care of the deployment and the automation on my own.

Customers would need to purchase a license. If a customer purchases an MVISION Endpoint license, he may use that license to install ENS. It's a flexible license where you have the option to either use the McAfee security software or the Windows Defender managed by McAfee, which is MVISION Endpoint.

What other advice do I have?

With MVISION Endpoint, even if you don't know about cybersecurity, you can just turn on the protection checkbox. It's that easy. It was really relatable to my experience with Sophos because the configuration there was also that simple, so I really liked it.

For those who can't afford expensive cybersecurity professionals but are responsible for configuring the security of the organization, MVISION Endpoint is a good product to go with. It's flexible, and you can manage it from the cloud or on-premises.

At present, it is often used by small businesses because of its ease of use, configuration, and deployment.

It's been around on the market for a long time, and has undergone many improvements. So, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate McAfee MVISION Endpoint at eight.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint
    July 2022
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Meleria Mangaring - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Engineer at Trends and Technologies, Inc
    Reseller
    Great ePolicy orchestrator, seamlessly expands, and offers good reliability
    • "It's very stable and reliable."
    • "Looking at the current ePolicy orchestrator, and the transition of most vendors to the cloud, they need to do an improvement with the current dashboard or the overall aesthetic of their GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

One of the strengths of McAfee in general, not only in the Endpoint, is the ePolicy orchestrator. It's a single management platform for all the solutions and also a single agent. From my experience, with all other products, it becomes easy to use with multiple deployments.

With McAfee, what you do is you just upload and download some packages for specific features. For example, with endpoint security, you get only the four features, the firewall, web control, the ATP, and then threat prevention. Should the client would want an additional feature, for example, device control, full-blown DLP, or application control, then we can add the packages for that and then easily deploy it with the client.

What needs improvement?

Looking at the current ePolicy orchestrator, and the transition of most vendors to the cloud, they need to do an improvement with the current dashboard or the overall aesthetic of their GUI. They need to just keep up with the current trends. It's still a bit old-looking. That said, with the CASB, their other solutions their cloud solutions, they're already on the way with that. They are working on improving things.

The initial setup can be a bit difficult.

They should offer further application control. The way of doing the application control is based on an inventory scan. It would be great and it would be at par with other solutions if they would be able to improve that into a category-based application control.

I've used the solution for about three years.

McAfee is one of my favorites. It's very stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

We have been able to scale. For example, a client who wanted to migrate their on-premise solution and then move to the cloud found it to be pretty straightforward. With things like this, there is still room for improvement and there can be trouble doing that. However, with the experience that I had during the migration, it was pretty smooth and seamless.

I haven't had any experience with technical support. I'm working as a presales engineer, however, I have colleagues who've had a few experiences with McAfee technical support. Usually, it's all about clarifications around the licensing or loading of the license. For example, we have had experiences with the license already loaded to the client's account and we haven't received the email yet. When that happens, we have no way of accessing the account of the client. In those instances, we'd reach out to support. Beyond that, we don't really need help.

I have experience with Trend Micro, Sophos, and McAfee.

The main difference is their single solution. There's one single pane of glass you're looking at which gets easier with the maintenance. The utilization is also great. It takes away the customer of having to deal with problems with the utilization. There's a balance between the performance of the agent as well as the operation of the client. You won't hear a client complaining that a McAfee solution.

The threat intelligence with respect to endpoint security is great too. With the threat intelligence and McAfee having been in the industry for so long, it has a better capability of protecting our endpoints.

For the setup, if you're not familiar with it, it can be a challenge. From my experience, when I just started working with McAfee, it was really hard to understand how the policies work, how the policies should be implemented and how would you assign them to certain groups. If you're just getting started, it's hard. However, if you're already familiar with how policy creation works and how you're supposed to assign it to certain groups or certain users, then it becomes easier over time.

For every 100 users, one person is enough in terms of handling maintenance tasks. Management is easy as you can manage everything from a single pane of glass. It doesn't require a lot of manpower.

If you look from the Gartner perspective, and if we're only looking at the leaders' quadrant, McAfee is around five out of five in terms of price affordability. Among all other solutions, it has really a reasonable price. If you look at the entire Magic Quadrant, not only the leaders' quadrant, McAfee is even better. There are other solutions that have a more reasonable price, however, it also comes at the cost of the quality that we're offering.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller and solutions provider.

It can be deployed in a virtualized environment or on the cloud. It depends on the client's requirements. I typically recommend the SaaS environment, however, in the Phillippines, it's mostly on-premises still. In that case, we may use a virtualized or physical server.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Craig Meads - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at Computer Wise
    Flexible, scalable, and offers a small footprint
    • "Technical support is excellent."
    • "The initial setup can be a bit complicated for those unfamiliar with the product."

What is our primary use case?

We've only got two or three machines. The solution is simply used as an antivirus, however,  we've rolled it out to all of our customers and we use it as a managed service.

What is most valuable?

The solution has reduced false positives for our clients and ourselves.

It's got quite good ransomware detection.

The product can be deployed across mobile devices.

It has a managed service push deployment where we can push cloud tasks into policies.

It's a really good product. It's stable and scalable. It offers good flexibility, has a small footprint, offers a minimal effect on performance, and is from a trusted brand.

We have found the deployment to be very fast.

Technical support is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We're still looking for weaknesses. The product is still quite new for us. That said, so far, every time I have thought, "I wonder if it can do this or it can do that." I've been able to do it.

McAfee has also asked us for feedback, and we noticed when we gave them suggestions, they worked to implement them. For example, we asked for the ability to leverage Windows Defender instead of creating an endpoint. They've just put that in so you can choose now what you want to do. You can change that deployment and push it out without any intervention by the client as well.

We have been using the solution for about four or five months at this point.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The companies we work with range in size from small to large.

The solution is very easy to scale.

I would rate technical support at a ten out of ten. They have been great. We have found them to be helpful and responsive. My personal interaction with them was absolutely brilliant.

The initial setup can be difficult the first time. You have the flexibility to give all sorts of setup options. You need to know, for example, do you want this, do you want that, do you want these exclusions? Do you want these exploit preventions? et cetera. There are a lot of components. It's going to be complicated initially, however, once you've done that and set it up for a customer, then it's very simple just to deploy it and roll it out.

We rolled out another customer on Friday, and that's 35 sites we've done so far - and I was able to do the whole lot remotely. It's quick to deploy. For clients, in terms of the deployment, I just simply send them a link to their emails and they just go click on it and it goes.

Once the product is deployed, there isn't any maintenance necessary. It's all controlled from a SaaS portal.

The pricing is okay. It's in the middle and there are actually surveys out and they all say that as well.

There's a couple of license options. You can choose a single license or you can choose what we call a MV2 license. Every single license gives you the ability to install a product on five other devices - including mobile. You get a Windows license and that enables you to install it on a tablet, iPhone, or Android device (up to five) as well.

What other advice do I have?

We're a McAfee partner.

We are using the SaaS version. It's my understanding that we are on the latest version of the solution.

We would recommend the solution to other companies. We actually sell it and provide it to all our clients.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Other
    Technical Executive at Digitaltrack
    User-based policies offer fine granularity, and the technical support is reponsive
    • "The most valuable feature is user-based policy provision."
    • "A policy-editing console should be added."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and McAfee MVISION Endpoint is one of the products that we implement for our clients. Our clients use it to help manage their security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is user-based policy provision. It allows for greater granularity.

Our clients use the VPN to create secure connections to their servers.

What needs improvement?

A policy-editing console should be added.

Having automatic updates would be helpful.

We have been dealing with this product for about two years.

We are completing two deployments each week and I don't have any comments with regards to stability. I would say that it's stable enough.

We have about 20 clients who are using this solution and it is easy to scale. I would estimate the number of users to be about 400.

McAfee has good support and they are very responsive.

We deal with endpoint solutions from several vendors including Sophos, Symantec, and CrowdStrike. We are still using Symantec in parallel with McAfee.

The capabilities of these products are similar and the real difference is in the support. McAfee has the best support nowadays, as Symantec takes too long to respond.

The initial setup sometimes has to be done manually because of issues with Active Directory. That said, it is not normally complex. Complexity can come from using export files because McAfee does not have a policy-editing console.

One of the recent deployments we completed required three of us 15 days. This including training people in different locations.

We implement and deploy this product for our clients.

Licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis.

Manoj Chitgopeker - PeerSpot reviewer
    Region Head - S1@Dimension Data India at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Reliable, cloud-based app management and requires little maintenance
    • "I have not received any complaints about the performance."
    • "I would like to see more local integration for the applications that we use."

What is our primary use case?

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is used for endpoint security across all platforms, including mobile and desktop users.

All endpoint-related activities for which the company has a charter.

What is most valuable?

In my opinion, it's a pretty good product.

I have not received any complaints about the performance.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more local integration for the applications that we use. We are looking forward to having more unified management.

We have been using McAfee MVISION Endpoint for one year. We have recently implemented it.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint has been stable.

We have not yet scaled it, but I believe that it is scalable.

Our organization has 7,000 users.

I'm not sure if the technical teams have done so, but I haven't contacted technical support.

We are using Cisco Umbrella, as well as McAfee.

Our own team performed the installation. I didn't hear any complaints, so I guess it's pretty simple.

To deploy and maintain, we have a team of two administrators and one manager.

It is based on an annual subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend McAfee MVISION Endpoint because it is cloud-based app management and requires little maintenance.

I would rate, McAfee MVISION Endpoint, an eight out of ten.

CIO & Information manager at a leisure / travel company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good technical support , and offers good protection

What is our primary use case?

We use McAfee MVISION Endpoint to protect our environment.

What is most valuable?

I am satisfied with this solution.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more automation.

I have been working with McAfee MVISION Endpoint for at least ten years.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is a stable solution.

In our company, we have 650 users.

At this time, there are no plans to increase our usage.

Technical support is good.

I did not complete the installation myself.

We have a team of five to maintain and deploy this solution.

I had some assistance from a technician.

Licensing fees are paid yearly.

We are currently, exploring other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for others who are interested in using it.

I would rate the McAfee MVISION Endpoint solution an eight out of ten.

JamesYa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Solutions Architect at Cloud4C Services
    Simple implementation, stable, but priced high

What is our primary use case?

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is used for endpoint protection. Protects the files and network against viruses and malware.

What needs improvement?

The price of McAfee MVISION Endpoint could improve.

I have been using McAfee MVISION Endpoint for approximately one year.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is stable.

I have previously used Check Point and Microsoft Defender. I would recommend Microsoft Defender over the other solutions I have used.

The installation of the McAfee MVISION Endpoint was simple. We are able to do it remotely from a central location.

I have had a return on investment by using McAfee MVISION Endpoint.

We are on an annual subscription for McAfee MVISION Endpoint. The cost for the license could be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate McAfee MVISION Endpoint a six out of ten.

Download our free McAfee MVISION Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022