MariaDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MariaDB is the #3 ranked solution in top Open Source Databases and #6 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give MariaDB an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. MariaDB is most commonly compared to PostgreSQL: MariaDB vs PostgreSQL. MariaDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
MariaDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MariaDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is MariaDB?

MariaDB is an open source relational database created by the original founders of MySQL. It is considered one of the most popular and trusted database servers throughout the world. MariaDB is a valued component found in most cloud offerings and is the default in many Linux tools. It is also widely used by Wikipedia, WordPress, and Google, among other well-known sites. Maria DB easily melds data into concise information from a vast array of applications, such as banking, online shopping, websites, and more.

MariaDB was originally created to improve MySQL performance. It is the most widely chosen database server due to the solution being super fast, robust, user-friendly, and easily scalable. MariaDB also offers a substantial ecosystem of plugins, storage engines, and numerous other valuable tools that make it very attractive for a significant offering of use cases.

The solution’s newest functionalities include compatibility with Oracle Database and Temporal Data Tables, and advanced clustering with Galera Cluster 4, which make it easier for users to research data history from any point in the past. Additionally, the most recent versions include JSON and GIS features. MariaDB is committed to staying an open source solution.

MariaDB Features

• More storage: MariaDB works with more storage engines than MySQL and most other database servers available. Some storage options include, but are not limited to ARCHIVE, MERGE, CSV, MEMORY, BLACKHOLE, MyISAM, ColumnStore, MyRocks, and Cassandra.

• Super fast: MariaDB offers faster authentication checks. The FlushSSL permits SSL certificates to be reloaded without a server restart, resulting in huge time savings.

• Improved testing: MariaDB offers an extending testing suite that runs faster and can test more than ever before. Bugs can be easily fixed and invalid tests removed.

• Genuinely open source: Every code in MariaDB is GPL, LGPL, or BSD. Client libraries [for Windows (ODBC), Java (JDBC), or C] allow linking to closed source software. All fixed bug cases and development plans are completely public. MariaDB is a community-developed solution representing the true spirit of open source products.

Reviews from Real Users

Faustine C., Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms Corporation, shares, “The software provides a lot of information on what is happening inside the database. For most performance parameters it is easy to know if something is not right in the configuration or optimization which helps engineers take remedial fine-tuning measures. For example, if the database is underperforming it is easy to know which performance parameter can be adjusted to handle the workload. It is difficult to troubleshoot database issues if many performance parameters can not be monitored or debugged which is the case with some database management systems. It provides great monitoring of data storage, processing, and performance stability which is really important for real-time data storage and processing. It's a user-friendly product.”

A PeerSpot user who is a Senior Engineer at a tech services company relates, “ The solution's high availability is its most valuable aspect. We have found the product to be stable and the initial setup is pretty simple. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. I'm very happy with it overall. I would recommend the solution to others. It's easy to find details about the product online and to learn about it.”

MariaDB Customers

Google, Wikipedia, Tencent, Verizon, DBS Bank, Deutsche Bank, Telefónica, Huatai Securities

MariaDB Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MariaDB pricing:
"The solution is free, but if you want the enterprise version you will need to pay for some licenses but the cost is less than other solutions, such as Oracle."

MariaDB Reviews

Faustine Chisasa - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms. Corporation
Provides great database for systems monitoring data and performance stability
  • "Great monitoring and performance stability."
  • "Lacks time series data and additional driving support would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are network services provider and we have the solution to store and process telecommunications infrastructure, network and customer services monitoring data. Our Monitoring applications rely on MariaDB to store, process and present telemetry data from different components of the network.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we didn't have a fast network monitoring solution that could be used to monitor everything we have on the network infrastructure. The solution has improved operations because all our customers are happy that we can provide them with high grade service monitoring . They're able to monitor services uptime, utilization and other statistics. The database stores a lot of additional data related to monitoring including inventory and notifications handling data.

What is most valuable?

The software provides a lot of information on what is happening inside the database. For most performance parameters  it is easy to know if something is not right in the configuration or optimization which helps engineers take remedial finetuning measures. For example if the database is underperforming it is easy to know which performance parameter  can be adjusted to handle the workload. It is difficult to troubleshoot database issues if many performance parameters can not be monitored or debugged which is the case with some  database management systems.

It provides great monitoring data storage, processing and performance stability which is really important for real-time data storage and processing. It's a user friendly product.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more time series data and additional partitioning support, natively if possible. I started using  MariaDB but then migrated one of my systems to PostgreSQL because it has good support for time series data, plus there's a plug-in that PostgreSQL uses for easy support of time-series data and partitioning and it is easy to use. MariaDB could have something like that which would provide better support for times series data and partitioning. Automatic partitioning would be helpful is natively supported, because at some point I experienced issues with database performance. Partitioning is a bit complex and we do everything in-house.

I'd like to see something that does automatic optimization or tuning. This will particularly be helpful to new users.

MariaDB
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about MariaDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using MariaDB for 2 years

Performance and stability are good with small instances and average skilled database administrators to maintain it, we haven't had any issues with small instances. For large instances that handle a lot of ingress data and queries, good stability can be attained with high level tuning which requires highly skilled database administrators who can correctly tune and partition databases if needed.

We haven't really scaled it and we're still using the open source version which can also  be easily scaled if needs arise.

Our company runs on a tight budget so we haven't got any support, we do everything ourselves. I know from others who have implemented and have commercial agreements with MariaDB that the support is good but I don't have first-hand experience.

I used a monitoring system that used flat files to store monitoring data and at some points used MySQL for some systems

The initial setup was very straightforward, not complex at all. There are so many resources from the community.

We implemented in-house

I can confidently say 90%

There are no costs associated with this solution. It is a free and open source software although one can opt for a paid support from MariaDB

Yes I did evaluate other options. SQLite, Oracle DB, PostgreSQL and MySQL

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that if a company wants to do everything in-house and doesn't have technical support from MariaDB, it is important to have good database administrators, because the initial setup is straightforward, but a lot of optimization is needed, and it requires skillful database administrators. I recommend some good planning from the beginning, and it is important to figure out whether the company needs to do some database partitioning. Carrying out good research from the beginning is the wisest course when choosing MariaDB as a database. That will be so helpful in avoiding possible performance and tuning issues.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Georges BOMBOH - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Pharos Consulting
Reseller
Easy to use with good performance and security
  • "We like the easy way that we can collect data from other databases."
  • "We'd like more data intelligence."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution for a data warehouse. It's just used to collect all this information from several databases, such as SQL Server, MySQL Server, DB2 Mainframe, and ZOS. We are collecting data from Excel spreadsheets. We're scanning and putting data right into MariaDB.

How has it helped my organization?

The best way to simplify our data governance process.

What is most valuable?

We like the easy way that we can collect data from other databases.

The performance and the security that we got on it are great.

The way that they distribute the database is excellent.

It is a product that is very easy to use.

It's helped us a lot in our data governance procedure.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

We'd like more data intelligence. We are working with a client who needs a lot of information about Oracle groups that come in the country, on the passenger name records, and so on. We need more intelligence around that in order to work better.

I've been using the solution for six months.

We didn't have any bugs yet. The solution is stable and reliable. We haven't had any issues yet.

We're still testing the solution with 30 people. Once we go into production, we'll train the whole company. therefore, we do plan to increase usage.

We're quite happy with the technical support. We are satisfied as they are responding in time. They are giving us good answers.

We did not previously use a different solution. We started with this product from scratch. We're still organizing our approaches to be more competitive.

We are implementing this solution with a variety of other solutions and setting everything up at once.

The solution is not so complex in that we don't want to resell any solution that we are not trying on ourselves. Therefore, we have a good understanding of how everything works, having done it ourselves.

We are still in production, and, after six months, we will begin deploying the solution.

On our side, we have three people working with MariaDB and two people at MariaDB helping as well.

We're working with our client's technical services to get everything deployed.

We don't have clarity on an ROI yet. We've just started using the solution.

I can't speak to the exact pricing.

The cost of licensing is dependent on the projects. We have many types of licensing. We have a subscription and we also have some like lesson sheets that we buy. After, we just pay for the maintenance.

We evaluated many options. We went for simple software. We took Hadoop with Cloudera since the best version of Hadoop is Cloudera. Then, we have MariaDB on our HCI environment to secure all of this. There's a general sense of happiness with these products. It's really easy for us to use everything. Still, we are just at the beginning of the use phase.

What other advice do I have?

We've started from scratch and we are using this product to build up use cases.

We are a service company and we reselling the solution. We are working directly with MariaDB.

The product is easy to use. When you're a database administrator and you're working with databases, such as MariaDB, it's very, very, very easy. You get the performance, you get the security, and you get monitoring and disaster recovery. You're working in a secure area with the performance you need and can mass scale it which is very useful.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. We still are exploring all of the possibilities, however.

Private Cloud
MariaDB
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anthony Busulwa - PeerSpot reviewer
Operations Manager Uganda at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A great language that has PL/SQL compatibility
  • "The solution has PL/SQL compatibility."
  • "The PL/SQL performance is slow if you have big batch jobs running overnight."

What is our primary use case?

We develop financial software such as credit management solutions for banks, financial institutions, and telcos, basically anyone who deals with credit. We are users of this product and resell to our customers. I'm the operations manager.

What is most valuable?

The solution is valuable because it has PL/SQL compatibility. Our base was previously on Oracle and we wanted to change our solution to a DBS which meant finding something compatible with that language. It's really a great language, especially as it's one that you can get for free. If we build our technical knowledge, then we won't need third-party support which is a strong plus.

What needs improvement?

The PL/SQL performance is slow. If you have big batch jobs running in the middle of the night for a bank doing its end-of-day audits, then MariaDB will take three times longer than using Oracle. The product lacks sufficient detail in its reports. MariaDB has many extra features that would help to optimize the DB in the enterprise version and it would be helpful if it were possible to add some of those features in the open source version.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is very stable in the right perameters. If I have a customer looking for something that's not batch job heavy, then we use MariaDB. If I have a core system that's going to take a ton of records and go through all these in the batch jobs at night, then we default to Oracle, because it's faster. We've proposed it to enterprise clients and we've proven to them that it's stable enough.

It's probably one of the most used RDBMS's for scalability. We haven't really tested it on millions and millions of customers but there's no problem with scalability.

We use the community for support. If we were to purchase support, the cost would be around 5k per year. It's a big difference. We usually just use the after-market support and haven't required any direct support from the company. We've been able to handle it internally.

When I compare MariaDB to Oracle, an industry leader, the big difference we found is performance in the PL/SQL mode. With Oracle, regular queries get executed at the same level with no issues. For ease of use and the setup, they're pretty similar. We also looked at IBM DB2 but there were compatibility issues and it was significantly slower.

The initial setup is really easy for our team. It's a quick download and configuration. We have set parameters.

We use the open source edition which doesn't require licensing. We don't offer the enterprise edition, because if we're taking the customer off Oracle, for the additional benefits, we have to optimize the cost. If we have a customer with budget constraints, it's saving hundreds of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions, if we use MariaDB instead of Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Eric Espino - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at Melones Oil Terminal
Open-source, very similar to MySQL and easy to deploy
  • "It's open source."
  • "I’m not sure if it can scale."

What is our primary use case?

I installed the solution here in the company when they required MySQL. I tried MariaDB instead, and it works fine due to the fact that MariaDB is an exact clone of some parts of MySQL. It also has a database for a help desk solution, called a GPLI.

What is most valuable?

It's open source. It's freeware. It's very similar to MySQL. MySQL is a very good database management system, a relational database management system. However, the problem, or the potential problem with MySQL, is that it is under Oracle's umbrella, and I want to be prepared in case it's being commercialized and closed.

MariaDB was created by the same creator of MySQL. However, before he sold it to, at that time, Sun Microsystems, it was later acquired by Oracle. It's the same creators. It's the same programmer. That's what I like.

It's a one-time installation and configuration, and then I almost forgot about it. What I like is that it's very easy to configure, and just from time to time, you can make your backups, and that's it.

What needs improvement?

I don’t have any particular issue with the solution. It works well for my purposes.

I’m not sure if it can scale, so I’m not sure how it would fare for significant companies. I know that MariaDB has a cluster solution that I don't need at the moment. Probably, it would be a good idea to have a way just to confirm that the cluster is available for when I require scaling.

We’ve been using the solution for one year.

It’s quite stable. I haven’t had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable. It’s very similar to MySQL.

I’m not sure if it is scalable. Scalability doesn’t affect me as I am only using one application. I don’t require any scaling capabilities.

Indirectly through the help desk solution, the whole company has about 60 plus users on this product.

It's open source and freeware. The support that I receive is in the forums and the blocks in the internal information. You can’t call or email someone at MariaDB.

We also use SQL Server Express, MySQL Fork, and SQLite.

The setup is simple. It’s as easy as setting up MySQL.

This product is open-source and free to use.

What other advice do I have?

I am just a customer and an end-user.

I'm not sure right now which version we are on.

Whether or not this is a good solution for a user depends on usage. You need to be sure that this is the solution for you. I'm not going to scale up, which is why it's my current solution. If I had to scale, I’m unsure if this would fit.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten.

PrabhatRanjan - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Helpful support, open-source, and reliable
  • "The most valuable feature of MariaDB is that it is open-source and we can easily migrate from other databases, such as Oracle to MariaDB."
  • "MariaDB can improve by adding more features. There are a lot of features, which are available in Oracle, and which are not available in MariaDB. We hope they will introduce the features soon."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently doing UAT testing with MariaDB. Production has not started.

We will be using MariaDB in a complex project for the airlines.

How has it helped my organization?

MariaDB has helped our organization because we are able to use the solution more for projects. We do not have to pay a lot for licensing as we did before.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of MariaDB is that it is open-source and we can easily migrate from other databases, such as Oracle to MariaDB.

What needs improvement?

MariaDB can improve by adding more features. There are a lot of features, which are available in Oracle, and which are not available in MariaDB. We hope they will introduce the features soon.

In a future release, MariaDB should add more collections. We want parallel processing.

I have been using MariaDB for more than 12 months.

MariaDB is stable.

MariaDB is scalable, but it could improve horizontal scaling.

We have approximately 150 end users using this solution in the organization.'

We have 10 applications lined up to add to the solution, and we plan on increasing usage.

I rate the scalability of MariaDB a three out of five.

The support from MariaDB has been very good. They are helpful.

I rate the support MariaDB a five out of five.

We previously use Oracle and we switched to MariaDB because the licensing cost for Oracle was too much.

The initial setup of MariaDB is simple. The full implementation took little time compared with similar solutions.

I rate the initial setup of MariaDB a five out of five.

We have an in-house team that does the implementation and support of MariaDB. MariaDB has been providing us with some training.

We have seen a return on investment because we are going to save a lot of revenue from not having to use Oracle licenses.

We evaluated other options, such as PostgreSQL, before choosing MariaDB.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is best for medium-sized businesses. If you have a very large business I would recommend looking at an alternative. Oracle is better for large businesses.

I rate MariaDB an eight out of ten.

AhmetÖzdemir - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Database Administrator at Türk Telekom
Open-source, easy to set up, and offers community support
  • "It's a very easy product to set up."
  • "The solution should do some fine-tuning on maybe the transaction per second so that users can get more than they can on the Microsoft SQL Server."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily a database. There are lots of telco operations coming there, including log files, operations like SMS Firewall, and lots of rules that have been passing through the database. Almost 10 terabytes of database is available in MySQL.

What is most valuable?

The product is open-source and free to use.

If you know the parameters and combine those parameters, you have a lot of advantages over the Microsoft SQL Server.

With MariaDB, you can use it as a column store database. This means you replicate your data, transactional data, as columnar data, and then you can use it as a sort-of business intelligence.

It's a very easy product to set up.

What needs improvement?

The solution should do some fine-tuning on maybe the transaction per second so that users can get more than they can on the Microsoft SQL Server.

If you want to gain more transactions at MariaDB over the Microsoft SQL Server, you have to do lots of fine-tuning and combine a lot of parameters to get more transactions per second over the Microsoft SQL Server or another database. I reach the limits of MySQL at 15,000 transactions per second. MariaDB should aim to be better.

They should have more integrations with BI tools.

I've been using the solution for three or four years.

The solution is quite scalable. It's not a problem.

You need to rely on the community for support. If you are using the system at the mission-critical level, some companies don't want to use it as the response from the community edition is a bit slower.

I don't have any issue with the community edition. For me, it's fine. I'm not taking support from MariaDB. I only get support from Oracle to MySQL. We have a consolidated platform and we are using Oracle MySQL. MariaDB is open-source so we don't deal with technical support directly from them.

The solution is very straightforward and simple to set up. I'd rate the general ease of setup at a five out of five.

It's a free solution. It's completely open-source. We do not have to pay anything.

What other advice do I have?

We're just end-users.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Senior Database Administrator Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with a simple initial setup and a fast implementation
  • "The solution is very easy to implement."
  • "The GUI could be improved a bit. The user interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients have a variety of use cases. I'm not familiar with just one.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to implement.

The product makes it very easy to use as a primary database or a standby database.

The switches are easy to use.

The initial setup is pretty fast.

What needs improvement?

The solution offers very good automatic features.

The GUI could be improved a bit. The user interface needs to be improved.

I haven't tested the latest version of the solution. There may have been updated and changes that I am not aware of.

The stability of the solution could be improved, as we've had issues.

It would be ideal if the solution could offer an active-active cluster.

We have been dealing with the solution for about one year. It hasn't been too long.

The stability of the solution isn't perfect. I personally have had some issues. It's something that they need to work on.

I've never really dealt with the scalability aspect of the solution. I'm not sure how it would handle the process. I've only tried the DR side, in order to have primary and standby.

I don't have any experience with technical support. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are at this time.

The initial setup doesn't take too long. It's standalone, so it will maybe take one hour to install the machine. It's fairly straightforward, and not too complex. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup.

You only really need two people for deployment and maintenance. YOu don't need a very big team to manage everything.

We are using the community version of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We implement the solution. We typically deal with on-premises deployments. We use the latest version of the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution. We've largely been happy with it so far.

Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, simple to manage, and quick to deploy
  • "The solution runs very quickly. It's not slow at all."
  • "The product needs more features and more functionality. It's imperative that it supports more platforms, and supports more operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

We just used MariaDB mainly to take the place of MySQL and do some evaluation and tests in our project.

It's for small business information and content management and the for workplace enterprise applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to set up and the implementation is very quick.

The product is easy to manage.

The solution runs very quickly. It's not slow at all.

The setup is straightforward and the deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be better. It's hard to connect with them as they are not based locally.

The product needs more features and more functionality. It's imperative that it supports more platforms, and supports more operating systems.

If MariaDB becomes more popular, then they will find more people will use the DB for more applications and projects.

It would be ideal if they offered some sort of easy migration tool for migrating from older MariaDB products.

I've used the solution for three years at this point. It's been a while.

We have two clients on the solution currently.

The solution needs more local technical support. It makes it hard to connect, as we're so far away from the team.

We also use MySQL.

The installation is pretty easy. It's straightforward. We don't consider it to be overly complex or difficult.

It takes less than an hour to deploy the product.

We have two engineers that can handle deployment and maintenance.

As an integrator, we can implement the solution for our clients.

We do have clients looking at this product against MySQL. However, only one customer has chosen this product over MySQL so far.

What other advice do I have?

We typically deal with the latest version of the solution.

We are a system integrator and a solution provider.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're mostly pleased with its general capabilities.

We would recommend this to other users and companies. We already actively recommend it to clients.

Download our free MariaDB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022