Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Park Armstrong - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technical and Solution Architect at Vertigo Inc.
Helpful for identifying and filling the gaps and meeting compliance needs, but each of their product works an independent product and lacks integration
  • "Identification of gaps and filling the gaps with updates are most valuable. We are able to identify known updates or missing updates and then update."
  • "Each of their products is an independent product, and they don't have anything to do with each other. It is a suite of packages. They all run independently, and they all are a little different because they were acquired differently. They could standardize their portfolio."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for managing desktops and configurations and compliance.

We are using its latest version. We are all up to date with whatever we're doing. It is deployed on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with compliance. We're moving into a regulated space, and we need to be compliant and have full control over every device. So, the primary purpose of implementing it was compliance.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Each of their products is an independent product, and they don't have anything to do with each other. It is a suite of packages. They all run independently, and they all are a little different because they were acquired differently. They could standardize their portfolio.

We found the team that supports us to be very difficult to understand because of their accent.

ManageEngine Desktop Central
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine Desktop Central. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for a year or so.

It is reasonably stable. I had a couple of issues related to corruption, and I worked with their support, but on the whole, it is reasonably stable.

I'm sure it is scalable. It is currently being used by three users. We are using it daily, and we don't have any plans to increase its usage. It is not for any real negative reason. I just don't have a need. I bought it for what I needed it for, and it is doing what it does.

I had some pretty significant problems, and they were very complicated. I've had a number of conversations with them, but the simple truth of the matter is that there were communication problems with their team because of the accent. We found the team that supports us to be very difficult to understand. They had a heavy Indian accent, and it was very difficult to communicate with them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

We didn’t use any other solution previously.

It was of medium complexity. You have to get an agent out for every single machine by hand, or you need to push it somehow. It took a couple of weeks.

We implemented it in-house. In terms of maintenance, it requires a fair amount of maintenance. It takes some time. You have to touch it every week and make sure it is working and pushing the code. You have to make sure you're identifying the gaps and the packages to be deployed. You need to build those packages, deploy them, and monitor which ones didn't fire. It is not an install-and-forget package. It is an install-and-use package.

We have seen an ROI. I would rate it a solid four out of five in terms of ROI. The work that one person was doing by hand for each computer in the company is now being done by it in mass. Its value is large because I could free up that person's time to do other work.

The initial purchase was around $6,000 or $7,000. We most probably are not on an annual subscription. We bought it, and then we pay for the maintenance. I'm not 100% sure how that's working out.

We evaluated a couple, but I can't remember what we looked at.

What other advice do I have?

If I re-implement it today, I'd strongly consider a cloud-based infrastructure instead of on-premise.

It is solid. It is a legacy technology, and it has been around forever. It does what it does. It is complicated, but it works. It is not brilliant, but it is highly functional.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Manager of Information Technology at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
A complete product that has centralized our IT support; outstanding technical support
  • "It's a complete product that allows you to remote troubleshoot, has an inventory of systems."
  • "There are occasional glitches."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for Windows patching, third-party application patching, and third-party application deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

The advantage of this solution for us is that it has basically centralized all our IT support, both remote and on-prem. We no longer need to do a lot of sneakernet. We're basically doing full remote support with it.

What is most valuable?

This solution has many valuable features. It's a complete product that allows you to remote troubleshoot, has an inventory of systems, as well as other things. We own the entire suite. The UEM suite allows us to deploy Manage Patching, Deploy OS' as well as MDM Management. We use the entire Swiss Army knife of the product. We use some other ManageEngine products and there's seamless integration between them. They've implemented in-application support so you can type a question to support and you'll get a real time reply, which is great. They really listen to their customers and try to proactively support them. They're constantly listening to feedback and making improvements on the product. It's one of those things where they listen to the customers and they're constantly evolving the product.

What needs improvement?

There are occasional glitches but they deal with it very quickly and efficiently. They've actually just rolled out a whole new endpoint security add-on that includes the features I've been looking for.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution has been fairly stable. It's evolved over time and they've come a long way. It's been a consistently stable platform. We've previously used things like WSUS and Intune for Window Patch deployment, ManageEngine is by far easier to use than those products.

This is a very scalable solution. It's deployed to our entire organization, so that's about 400 users.

The technical support is great. The challenge is that sometimes support has to go back to development and the lead time can take a while. It's no different to any other company. They're all going to do the same thing. I'd much rather have them fix it right the first time versus coming back constantly with band-aids.

The initial setup is easy. You build a server, you install, you run the executable, it installs. It has a self-contained database and it does its own thing. You're up and running in 10 minutes. Obviously, like any product, it's going to take you time to evolve the product, to use the product, to get to know the product, but you can be up and running in as quickly as 10 minutes.

The cost is fairly reasonable for what you're getting. As an end user, you always want everything for nothing, but the reality of the matter is you get what you pay for so I think the price is fair. If you compare it to things like other patch management and third party tools, I'd say the price is probably fairly good.

We've looked at a lot of solutions and, value for money, this product can't be beat. They're always packing more features into it. We've looked at a couple of other products and they're just more cumbersome to set up and more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's worth taking a good look at this solution because I think it's a really good product and it has a lot of features. It has a lot of value added and they have great support.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

ManageEngine Desktop Central
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Easy to install and to connect with clients, and makes software deployment straightforward
  • "The stability is very good."
  • "Improvement of the chats on the web communication through the WAN would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for desktop support. You can connect to the client machines and do the support for them remotely. You can record the sessions and you can deploy software. We use it to install operating systems. It's basically a desktop support solution.

What is most valuable?

The product makes it very easy to connect to clients. Normally, with all the tools I try, many have been messy when connecting with the client. With DesktopCentral, it's really easy.

Normally, you can install the software and you are ready to run when you install the agent in the client. It's very easy to install on the clients' machines as you can connect with the active directory and deploy it automatically.

The initial setup is very simple.

The stability is very good.

What needs improvement?

The product tends to have some glitches in terms of connection when you have two connections to the same machine. For example, you have the internet cable connected to your PC, and you are connected to the WiFi. The client gets confused about that and loses the connection with the client a lot of the time if you don't deactivate one of them.

They should make it easier to deploy in the clients.

I've used the solution at this company for two years. In my last job, maybe I use it for four years approximately.

The product is very stable. Normally, I do the updates. I never have a problem or have to make a solution for coming back after a shutdown. It's reliable. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It's my understanding that the scalability is good. I don't have a cluster right now, however, from what I see, it's going to be easy to set up. In the option of the platform, you have an assistant to make a cluster and make your implementation bigger. That said, I didn't try it yet.

I have five technical users and I have 200 clients.

I don't have plans to have more clients or increase usage as the size of the company is finite. However, I will likely acquire more products from ManageEngine.

The initial implementation process was very simple. I even installed it myself.

I didn't need support or a consultant to do the setup. I handled it myself and was very, very simple.

We pay licensing fees on a yearly basis.

We have the aggregate fees for a few things, however, for the most part, it's all under one license fee. There aren't added costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners.

The advice I can give to people looking to implement this solution is to read all the information they have on the website as all the steps to handle the implementation is there. It is very easy to read and it's very accessible on their site. You don't need to look for other site guides or any other tutorials as everything you need is right there on their website.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been pretty happy with the product in general.

Andy_Smith - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Digital Data Technology & Facilities at The Electoral Commission
Good interface with great features and reasonable pricing
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "The team I've currently got is not using it particularly well, due to the fact that they don't know how to use it particularly well. They've not done any training and so on."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used predominantly for our service desk and IT uses it for capturing issues from our users.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a lot of the features we need and we are looking forward to taking advantage of them after a little bit of training.

It seems to be pretty straightforward in terms of ease of use. The user interface is good.

We don't have any issues with the pricing.

The solution is stable.

The product can scale.

What needs improvement?

The team I've currently got is not using it particularly well, due to the fact that they don't know how to use it particularly well. They've not done any training and so on. There are lots of things that need to be done. Hence, why I was looking to whether it's a good product or not, which I think it is. It's a good enough product, yet in terms of the team, they just don't know what to do. I don't know how good it's going to be. That said, it looks like it's going to be perfect for what we want; it just needs to be matured further.

I am an interim contract head of IT for the Commission, and the company I work with has been using it for about two years. I wanted to see what other potential solutions there might be out there, and also to see how it stacks up against others. I've only been using it for about six months, however, I was looking at the competitors as well.

The stability is good. Once we get going with it, and we get the partners to help us develop it further, it'll be absolutely perfect.

The scalability seems to be okay.

I have no comments in regards to technical support. I've never called them.

I did not previously use a different solution.

I was not around for the initial implementation and therefore cannot speak to how easy or difficult the process was.

It is my understanding that the company had third-party support to do the implementation.

The cost of the solution is reasonable.

I have been actively evaluating other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We are using a previous version of the solution. It's not the latest version.

The most important thing, when you're looking at any product, is to make sure you've clearly defined what you're trying to achieve and do, and then go through what it can and can't do for you to make sure you get a good fit. That's the advice I'd give to anyone considering implementing it.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten. I've been pleased with its potential capabilities so far.

Leonardo Moraes - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable with excellent performance and an easy initial setup
  • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "The solution should be better at integrating with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to run on all the desktops in our company. We have unique requirements, and this was the only solution that really met them.

What is most valuable?

The easy application deployment allows you to use the solution directly.

The solution works very well. It offers excellent performance.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

We find the solution to be pretty stable.

The product can scale well if you need it to.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be better.

The solution should be better at integrating with other solutions. Right now, it's not the best.

I've been using the solution for 12 months. It's been about a year at this point.

The stability is excellent. We haven't experienced any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite good.

The solution can scale quite well. We haven't had issues. If a company wants to expand, it can do so with relative ease.

We have about 15 individuals using the solution.

Although we don't have current plans to increase usage, we might do so in the future.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten in terms of support. They do offer support in Portuguese, which is helpful, however, it could be a bit better.

We used to use a local solution provided by us, however, it was too expensive to maintain. That is the reason we switched to this product.

We did not find the initial implementation to be complex. It was straightforward and simple. If a company needs to implement it themselves, they shouldn't have any problems doing so.

For our organization, the implementation took about three weeks.

You only need one person to handle maintenance. In my organization, that is me.

We did not use an implementor or reseller to help us with the implementation process. We handled the entire setup in-house ourselves.

I'd rate the cost at a seven out of ten. It's okay. It could be a bit more affordable, however, it's not too expensive.

We pay about $250 a year for our license.

We did not evaluate other solutions before settling on this product. It was the only one we considered and looked at.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the product.

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure which version number we have.

In general, I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten overall, however, I hope that in the future, they improve their integration capabilities.

Network Administrator at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
Quick to set up, provides a helpful chat feature, and the dashboard is very good
  • "What I like best about this product is that I can log on to every PC, very easily, and chat with the user via the chat feature."
  • "I would like to have the option to install the agent remotely."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product to monitor PCs, perform updates, and as a remote desktop.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped me in several aspects. It has helped to identify outdated PCs, as well as to assist with remote control and software monitoring. I can see what users have installed on PCs, which is especially helpful for laptops.

What is most valuable?

Feature-wise, this solution is okay.

What I like best about this product is that I can log on to every PC, very easily, and chat with the user via the chat feature.

The dashboard is very good. It saves me a lot of time when it comes to finding the Windows calibration software that is installed on the PCs.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the option to install the agent remotely. When we change a PC, we have to uninstall the agent and then re-install it on the new one, and it is a difficult procedure.

Sometimes the performance is not very good, which is something that can be improved.

I have been using ManageEngine Desktop Central for approximately one year.

The stability is good.

We have 25 users, which is the limit for the free version. I don't know how scalable it is beyond this point. Whether I increase my usage depends on whether I stay with this product and purchase a license, or instead try another solution.

I have not had any issues, so I have not needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward and fast. It definitely takes less than a day to deploy.

I have been using the free version and am in the stage where I have to decide if I will proceed with the paid license, or instead choose another product.

This is the product that was recommended to me, so I did not evaluate other options before implementing it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if they don't have a product to control the software that users have installed on their PCs, then this is a very good tool. However, beyond a certain number of users, they have to buy it.

Senior Information Technology Specialist at a philanthropy with 501-1,000 employees
Good support, stable, and enables us to roll out images over the network
  • "I like being able to image over the network. That's a nice feature that it has. Patch management is pretty decent on it as well."
  • "The only problem with it is that the setup isn't very intuitive. I know that they just upgraded the product to make it a little bit easier to use, but compared to some of the other platforms, it is not easy to configure it, set it up, and get it running. However, once you have set it up and got it running, it runs great."

What is our primary use case?

I used it about six months ago. We implemented it in the last company I worked with. We were using it for patching, rolling out images, and other similar things.

We were using the most recent version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only problem with it is that the setup isn't very intuitive. I know that they just upgraded the product to make it a little bit easier to use, but compared to some of the other platforms, it is not easy to configure it, set it up, and get it running. However, once you have set it up and got it running, it runs great.

Once it was set up and running, there were no issues with it. It seems to run fairly well.

It is scalable. I was the admin for this system, and we probably had over a thousand end-users. I was the only one who knew how to use it at the time.

Their tech support was pretty good. For any issues we had, they'd come in and work with us and get them resolved pretty quickly.

Its setup isn't very intuitive.

We had perpetual licenses. The cost was around 36,000, and then you'd have the yearly maintenance fee of 2,000 or 3,000.

What other advice do I have?

They have a service where they come in and configure it or do the setup for you for a price. I don't remember the price, but it was pretty reasonable. If you're not familiar with the platform, that might be a good thing to go with, especially if you don't want to go in and do the ifs and buts trying to set it up. It would be a lot easier if you had them come and set it up for you. With all the alerting and everything else that you have to set up with it, it takes a minute to get it up and running and have everything the way you wanted.

I'd give it an eight out of 10. I was really happy with it.

Senior System Administrator at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable and easy to set up, with very good patch management
  • "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The pricing could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently using this solution as a configuration manager, for patch management, and scheduling the batches to run automatically, as well as OS deployment, MDM, for install agents on other computers, to allow us to see the software in the inventory.

What is most valuable?

Patch management is the most useful aspect of the product.

The initial setup is easy.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is very good.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be better. They should increase their hours of availability so that they are easier to reach and it's more convenient for us.

The pricing could be a bit better.

They must change project management on Service Desk Plus to make it possible to integrate with Microsoft Project on Service Desk Plus and to increase the results on Google maps, on the Mobile Management, so that we can track our mobiles devices. Right now, it's not integrated with Google maps. This is a major issue.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The stability of the solution is very good. the performance is reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. there are no bugs or glitches.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can.

While you can live chat with technical support, they are only available for maybe seven or eight hours a day. If you have a problem at night they aren't available.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It's not a problem at all in terms of being able to handle the implementation.

I handled the implementation myself. If did not need the assistance of any integrators or consultants.

It's my understanding that the pricing is pretty high.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner.

I am currently working with both cloud and on-premises deployment models.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.