Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

JIRA Service Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JIRA Service Management is #2 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software and #3 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools. PeerSpot users give JIRA Service Management an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. JIRA Service Management is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: JIRA Service Management vs ServiceNow. JIRA Service Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide

Download the JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is JIRA Service Management?

Jira Service Management empowers teams with everything they need to get started fast. Check out capabilities for ITSM practices like request, incident, problem, change, and configuration management.

JIRA Service Management was previously known as JIRA Service Desk.

JIRA Service Management Customers

mgm technology partners, Telestream, Build.com, Zend Technologies, OfficeDrop, PGS Software, American Diabetes Association, NEPTUNE Canada

JIRA Service Management Video

JIRA Service Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about JIRA Service Management pricing:
  • "Right now, there are only two of us who are both agents on the help desk and developers. We might be on the free version because we're less than three agents or users. I'm looking at Zephyr tests, which have a $10 a month flat rate, so right now, it is $10 a month. There are lots of add-ons. They do a free version, a standard version, and a premium version. In the last company, we started on $50 a month. By the time I left, we were paying $4,500 a month. That was mainly because we had 100 users on Confluence. I bought an add-on for Jira software for which we had 10 users, and that was $5 per user per month. It was costing me $500 a month, whereas it should only be $50 a month. I don't know if licensing fee has changed. I'd like our whole company to use it, but the big problem is the licensing because the Confluence side is what is really useful, but if I add 30 users to Confluence and then buy an extension for Jira software, I've got to pay for 30 licenses, even though I've only got two users in Jira software. It is the one big disadvantage of cloud software. You always have to pay for the number of seats regardless of which product you are on. This will probably severely limit how many people would use it because I'm not going to start paying $10 per user per month for a Jira software add-on when there are only two people using it."
  • "The cost has recently increased. It might be around $20 to $25 per user license."
  • "On a scale of one to five, where five is a good price and one is high, I would rate this solution as a three. It isn't cheap but it's not ridiculous."
  • "I am using the free version, but my clients are paying for it. When they start, they evaluate it for 30 days, and after seeing the value, they move to its paid version."
  • "The license we use is on a yearly basis. As a Solution Partner, we were using the free one and were using the free plugins. We were also giving our own plugins to the Atlassian Solution Partners for free. We don't pay anything to Atlassian."
  • JIRA Service Management Reviews

Director of ERP Systems at Clesen Wholesale
    Customizable, stable, and integrates well
    • "The links between the help desk and Jira issues and between Confluence and Jira issues are most valuable. I can write requirements in Confluence and link them to user stories in Jira and test cases. I can see my test coverage and all that kind of stuff. The integration between these three is very useful. It is pretty customizable, and it integrates well. There are a lot of add-ins and a lot of connectors to third-party products. In my last company, we used Test Royal for managing all the tests, and it integrated perfectly with that. For any issue or bug, we could see what tests have been run and the complete history of the tests."
    • "The way it handles subtasks can be improved. We would really like the ability to have different types of subtasks. If we have a user story for a feature, we would like to have a subtask for documentation, a subtask for requirements, a subtask for development, and a subtask for testing. Right now, we just make four subtasks, but there is no way to specify their type, so we have to add a custom field to specify what type of work is this. It just means you've got to look at more data. For logging time or time tracking, we would like to have something using which we can define the work type we're doing. We would like to log whether we're working on a bug, a new development, scope change, or rework. We've got a user story for which we do the dev, and then we have to do more dev. It is the same story, but some of it could have been a scope change, and some of it could be a rework because we either screwed up the first time or missed something obvious. Currently, we have to have a custom field and track that separately. It would be nice to have some kind of work type for logging time."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for internal issues related to our ERP system. We are tracking these issues and, more importantly, linking them to development tasks. So, if we've written an extension and there is a bug, and somebody opens a help desk case with it, we can link it directly to a bug ticket in Jira. We then know when this bug is fixed.

We are cloud-based, so we are always on the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest thing is integration. Instead of having to have requirements in Word and then issues tracked somewhere and development tracked somewhere, everything is now in Atlassian. So, we've got requirements linked to development cases and the help desk tickets linked to development cases and tests.

What is most valuable?

The links between the help desk and Jira issues and between Confluence and Jira issues are most valuable. I can write requirements in Confluence and link them to user stories in Jira and test cases. I can see my test coverage and all that kind of stuff. The integration between these three is very useful.

It is pretty customizable, and it integrates well. There are a lot of add-ins and a lot of connectors to third-party products. In my last company, we used Test Royal for managing all the tests, and it integrated perfectly with that. For any issue or bug, we could see what tests have been run and the complete history of the tests.

What needs improvement?

The way it handles subtasks can be improved. We would really like the ability to have different types of subtasks. If we have a user story for a feature, we would like to have a subtask for documentation, a subtask for requirements, a subtask for development, and a subtask for testing. Right now, we just make four subtasks, but there is no way to specify their type, so we have to add a custom field to specify what type of work is this. It just means you've got to look at more data.

For logging time or time tracking, we would like to have something using which we can define the work type we're doing. We would like to log whether we're working on a bug, a new development, scope change, or rework. We've got a user story for which we do the dev, and then we have to do more dev. It is the same story, but some of it could have been a scope change, and some of it could be a rework because we either screwed up the first time or missed something obvious. Currently, we have to have a custom field and track that separately. It would be nice to have some kind of work type for logging time.

JIRA Service Management
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about JIRA Service Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I used it in my previous company for about three years, and we literally just started with it the last week here.

Its stability is very good. So far, I've got only one issue in Confluence. When I'm at a table and I tab to a new cell, for some reason, it changes the text direction from right to left.

I never had any performance concerns. Currently, there are two of us who are using this solution, and we are developers. Ultimately, there will probably be ten of us. The other members are going to be the members of the ERP implementation team. They are subject matter experts in each department.

I and another developer are just moving all our stuff from Azure DevOps. He has never used it, so I'm kind of teaching him. We're configuring it how we want. Ultimately, I'd like the whole company to use it, but the big problem is the licensing.

I have interacted with their technical support. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

We were using Azure DevOps, which is Microsoft. It is totally free because we use Office 365 and their development tools. We used Azure DevOps for a while, but it kind of sucks when it comes to test cases, so we ended up moving over to Jira.

The biggest thing was that their boards are really bad. As compared to Jira's backlog and sprints, what Microsoft has got in Azure is just not very good.

We also wanted to make a task of type Test, which it supports, but the problem is you can never delete it. You also can't have a hierarchy of two tasks that are of the same type, so I couldn't have two issues that were both a user story and put them in a hierarchy. It will let you do it, but it gives you a warning, and then it doesn't show up at certain places.

We also wanted to put our artifacts somewhere. Azure DevOps doesn't support artifacts. We are on the Microsoft ERP system, and we can't upload an executable because it is not a supported artifact type. On the Microsoft ERP system, when we write extensions, it makes executables that are .app files. Normally, when we compile a new application, we store the compiled version in some kind of artifact repository. Microsoft has a feature called artifacts, but it only supports specific things. It doesn't support .app files, even though it is a Microsoft product. So, we were not able to manage the artifacts. We can't do that in Jira either, so we'll probably end up using Nexus, but the fact that Microsoft has artifacts and they don't work was just really annoying.

For me, it was relatively straightforward because I implemented it at my last company. For a new user, it is pretty complicated. It involves setting up workflows screens and issues screens, and there are so many different schemes that are interrelated.

If you're happy with everything that comes out of the box and their standard workflows and project types, you can get it up and running really quick, but if you've got specific needs, you will spend a lot of time learning about all the configurations. I probably spent a total of eight hours this time, but I have spent hundreds of hours on it at my last job.

The investment is $10 a month now. If we're paying $10 per agent per month and even have more than three agents, it is easily worth it. It is worth its weight in gold in being able to link everything together and have everything in one place.

Right now, there are only two of us who are both agents on the help desk and developers. We might be on the free version because we're less than three agents or users. I'm looking at Zephyr tests, which have a $10 a month flat rate, so right now, it is $10 a month.

There are lots of add-ons. They do a free version, a standard version, and a premium version. In the last company, we started on $50 a month. By the time I left, we were paying $4,500 a month. That was mainly because we had 100 users on Confluence. I bought an add-on for Jira software for which we had 10 users, and that was $5 per user per month. It was costing me $500 a month, whereas it should only be $50 a month. I don't know if licensing fee has changed.

I'd like our whole company to use it, but the big problem is the licensing because the Confluence side is what is really useful, but if I add 30 users to Confluence and then buy an extension for Jira software, I've got to pay for 30 licenses, even though I've only got two users in Jira software. It is the one big disadvantage of cloud software. You always have to pay for the number of seats regardless of which product you are on. This will probably severely limit how many people would use it because I'm not going to start paying $10 per user per month for a Jira software add-on when there are only two people using it.

What other advice do I have?

It is free to try, so make sure you try it. The single biggest thing to look at is the licensing cost, especially if you plan to use something like Confluence, which is something you would probably want to roll out throughout the company because it is just a Wiki. If I've got two software developers and I put an add-on, having to pay 100 licenses for that is just crazy.

I would rate Jira Service Desk an eight out of ten.

Other
    AbhishekSingh10 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Program Lead at PureSoftware Ltd
    Easy to maintain and use with good reliability
    • "It scales well."
    • "The deployment can be a bit complex, especially for those who are not technical."

What is our primary use case?

Jira Service Management was a plugin and was not a completely different tool. Earlier, it was just a plugin for regulation. Later, they introduced it as a different tool. Earlier it was known as Jira Service Desk, and now they introduce it as Jira Service Management, a different tool.

If you have a product-based organization, then people used to use it for interacting with the client and getting the requests from the client. If it's internal, there could be a Help desk, IT service desk, or finance service desk, wherever you have to exchange the request between agents and the user base. You have to pay the license only for the agents, not all users. People can create their tickets free of cost. There, you get the portal, and any number of users can create their tickets, and only agents need a license to resolve their tickets and work on their tickets.

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, people used to communicate using email. For a single complaint or for any single task, you are sending so much mail in a chain. If you have to search for any single item in that chain, you go into the first email to figure out where it started, how it started, what the resolution was, and what the discussion was. If you are using Jira Service Management, you can search for the tickets within seconds, and you get the whole history of that issue. It's much easier. There's more clarity.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature they offer is not to build in cost for every user. It's free of cost for your clients. It's free of cost for your internal users. Only, you have to pay the license for people who are going to work on it. If I take the example of an HR Help Desk, if it's an organization of 10,000 people, then 9950 people can log tickets free of cost, and only 50 people need a license to resolve their ticket, if it's a team of 50 people in HR.

The solution is stable.

It scales well.

What needs improvement?

Feature-wise, they are improving day by day. I cannot ask for any single feature. We have to worry about how they are increasing their price. Atlassian will increase the price by 5% for most of the tools. It's getting expensive.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

You can scale the solution whether it is deployed to the cloud or the data center.

While we might have up to 5,200 people using the solution, we do not require that many licenses, as only those dealing with the tickets are required to be licensed.

We're using the product quite extensively.

Technical support has been helpful. I have found some bugs in the past, and they did a good job in helping us deal with them.

I am aware of ServiceNow as well. The UI is not as user-friendly, and it costs more.

I cannot say it's too easy to set up. It is moderate for a technical user, and for a non-technical user, it will be a bit difficult. There are many things you have to configure. You have to configure the permissions and notifications for customers and agents differently. You have to set up the portal and many more things.

The deployment will not take too long if it's on the cloud. The infrastructure is already ready for you. Since the server is closed, you only have the option of the data center if it's a data center. However, if you are going to deploy it in a data center, then obviously, it'll take more time.

You only need one person if you are deploying on a cloud and two or three people if you are deploying on a data center. If you are deploying on Linux, you may need someone well-versed in Linux. The cloud is an easy, fast deployment as you can do it in a few clicks. The data center takes more people and time.

You cannot do it own. There are requirements the IT team is used to manage various items, including SSL licensing certificates. You have to get SSL certificates from them. The infrastructure is usually managed by IT, and you must host your instance there, so you need help from them. The implementation is usually a combination of two teams, both IT and non-IT.

We have witnessed an ROI. The solution has paid for itself.

You can choose either monthly or yearly licensing. The cost has recently increased. It might be around $20 to $25 per user license.

You have three types of plans: standard, basic, and premium. If you need to configure it more, you have to use some plugins from the Atlassian Marketplace. For those, you have to pay whatever they may cost.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

We use a few Jira tools across the organization.

It is one of the best tools in the market right now. If you are looking for any service management tool, then you have to go for it. It's easy to maintain and easy to use. The user interface is very good.

If you are in a client-based organization, your client will find it more useful as you can integrate with Confluence, and then you can deflect the users to the knowledge parts. You can create your own knowledge information on Confluence, and, without creating tickets, you can redirect your client or user to Confluence.

From there, they can get the information they need. It saves a lot of time for the IT team and empowers the users to do things by themselves. They do not have to follow up. They do not have to create a ticket.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

JIRA Service Management
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Andrew Burt - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical engineer at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
    Automatic responses and actions are valuable features, but needs more native integrations
    • "One of the valuable features is that an automatic response or action can be taken on tickets."
    • "A lot of users have said that they want a feature that was on the on-prem version of Jira and the vendor can't deliver. They're either unwilling or unable to give feature parity."

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is that an automatic response or action can be taken on tickets. We can have certain responses for tickets that contain keywords or are logged and tagged with certain labels.

The other thing is that the solution is starting to get out of just Service Management, and it's providing a Service Management project for other parts of our business. You've got the IT part and you've also got the business support, so people can use it for services like purchase orders, applications for shipping, and other things that are used across the business. That's the other useful part, that you're able to adapt it for other things.

What needs improvement?

Because it's a cloud platform, and because it's based on people subscribing to a platform, you end up with iterative improvements. I know a lot of users have said that they want a feature, for example, that was on the on-prem version of Jira or that the cloud version is missing, and the biggest issue, and this applies to a lot of cloud or SaaS platforms, is that the vendor can't deliver or do that. They're either unwilling or unable to give feature parity. The nature of a lot of SaaS solutions is that you can't always get the same thing.

The other thing is that you may have a time lag where, suddenly, you don't have a feature anymore, and you have to log an improvement request and then wait for various other factors. Eventually, it might get progressed or it might get stopped. Probably the biggest downside is that you are locked into that model and you have to accept what you signed up for. You have some capacity to extend it with add-ins and things, but for the base feature set, you will always be at the mercy of the vendor.

A lot of the integrations within the marketplace for Jira are all third parties, so a lot of the additional solutions that plug into other platforms are not written by Atlassian and that usually incurs an additional cost. It may not be the model they want and it would stifle competition and external people being able to contribute, but it would be good to see Atlassian provide more native integrations out of the box. I'm not against paying for integration if it's going to provide benefits, but it would be nice if Atlassian themselves were able to provide some things, at least at a basic level. I know third-party vendors can commit resources and probably have far more capability to deliver something that is feature-rich, but if you just want basic integration it would be nice to have it, rather than having to buy something when you may not need all of its functions.

I have been using the solution for probably between four to five years. Previously we used an on-premise installation of Jira, and then we moved to the hosted or Atlassian offering, where they host it in their own cloud.

From where I sit, the cloud version is superior. Mainly this is due to not having to manage the upkeep of Jira, which was quite frankly a pain, but that's just the nature of Jira.

The solution is relatively stable. There was an incident not long ago where Jira was in the news because there was a small error made by somebody, and they ended up deleting a lot of customer environments and they didn't have any backups. I think that was a wake-up call for a lot of people. Otherwise, stability-wise, it's pretty good. They've got APIs and things for various other actions and we consume that and it seems to be pretty issue-free.

We have increased our license count and our consumption of services, not just with Service Management, but our entire Jira service consumption. We upgraded our subscription at least a couple of times over the last year and it's pretty simple, you literally say what you want to do. The other great thing is that you can trial it. You can say, "I want to initiate a trial of this particular level or subscription," and then you can trial it, piece it all out, and decide whether you're going to increase.

In terms of actual support staff, we have probably between 50 to 75 employees using this solution. The whole business includes between 600 to 650 people who could be using it to log requests.

I think the complexity of the setup depends on what you take with you. We migrated our existing Service Management project to this cloud version. If I was doing it, I wouldn't bother doing that. I would archive that data and start fresh, but it does have a lot of built-in onboarding features that were quite useful. We also have a partner who's a Jira-certified implementer, so they were very helpful with a lot of the issues that we had.

One other thing was getting the SCIM, or the provisioning of users, fixed. We use Azure ID, so it was important that that was done correctly, otherwise licensing would be a nightmare. We wanted to make sure that we weren't licensing people who were no longer active, and also that everyone who needed access, got it.

We didn't require an integrator, but we already had somebody who we were working with, not specifically for Service Management, but for a number of Jira initiatives. They were able to give us pointers. You don't have to have an integrator, but it was useful.

On a scale of one to five, where five is a good price and one is high, I would rate this solution as a three. It isn't cheap but it's not ridiculous.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as a six out of ten.

Sai Durga - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr.Software Engineer at Xoriant
    MSP
    Reasonably priced with good script customization and an easy setup
    • "The initial setup is pretty easy."
    • "I'd like to update the dashboard so that more features are available."

What is our primary use case?

On a daily basis, we're working on migration activity. Apart from the migration activity, we're working with the modifications and workflows for particular people who need to approve activities - those who are doing user management and customization. We are doing some scripts on the create screen as well. Whenever there is an approval, it may require setting some features that hide things automatically or some features that need to be filled automatically. We have Lambda in the AWS. In Lambda functions, all the fields in JSON format need to be triggered in Jira.

What is most valuable?

I like Scriprunner. Whatever is not possible, we can make it possible through Scriptrunner. We can customize the scripts, et cetera.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

While I really like Scriptrunner, there are behaviors we don't have in the cloud. In the cloud version, we need to do scripts and evaluators only. We don't have behaviors in the cloud. They need to do some updates in the cloud in future releases.

For example, we have ten custom fields in the data center create screen. If you select the first custom field, it will drop-down automatically the following nine custom fields that need to be changed. Any unwanted fields need to be hidden automatically. When we use the behavior, it is in the data center server version. However, working on the cloud version, we don't have that behavior feature in Scriptrunner. We must go with the validators if we need to write any scripts in the cloud.

Basically, the cloud and the server aren't identical. They work in slightly different ways and the new cloud isn't the same as the server.

I'd like to update the dashboard so that more features are available.

I've been using the solution for the last five years.

The stability is okay. We do get bugs. However, we can figure it out.

The solution is scalable. You can add users.

We have a license for 10,000 users. However, only 8,000 people are using it. If users are not using it for 15 days, we'll remove them.

I work on technical support. We have low priority, medium priority, hybrid, and critical tickets. The simple tickets we'll assign to junior-level people if we have any. If the bandwidth is less, then we'll take the tickets. If bandwidth is more, then we'll assign the tickets to the lower-level people. However, in general, we deal with support queries.

I have years of experience with Jira and have a good level of knowledge.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We had ticketing systems from ServiceNow and YouTrack. Compared to Jira, the tools are not very good. For example, if you take the workflow only in the Jira, the workflow will be simple. However, with the other tools, workflows can be a bit complex. They need to write some Java code, for example. There is some complexity. They are also not that economical compared to Jira in terms of pricing.

It is not complicated to set up. It's pretty straightforward. I can set everything up in about two hours. However, if any customization is needed in the database, it will take some time. It depends on the customization and the client as well.

Some clients don't want any customized as well. They want only a simple setup. What we'll do is we'll install a server. We'll do the project's setup, explain everything, and show the server customer the base we have. Based on the blueprints, we'll create data servers, et cetera, and they'll use the simple workflow.

Going forward, they'll learn how to use Jira by doing. Once they know Jira, they'll ask for the customization part.

We can handle the initial setup.

It is worth the money; however, if a company has budget complications, they should start with a standard version.

The price of Jira is very good.

We have a standard basic version. We also have premium plans we have in Jira. The cost depends on the plan. It also depends on the number of users and plugins.

A basic plan will charge $10 per user. A more premium plan will charge $18 per user.

What other advice do I have?

We are Atlassian partners.

We have a cloud version, and we have a data center as well. In the cloud, we are doing migration activities. In the coming next two years, when it comes to the server, there is no support and therefore, we're planning to completely move to migrate to the cloud.

If you are using this software for the first time, I would suggest the use of the cloud instead of a data center server. I prefer to use the cloud due to the fact that, in the coming two years, the server won't have that much support. Everyone is moving to the cloud and it's developing daily. The automation is inbuilt in the cloud compared to the server as well. Of course, for automation, you will have to pay.

We do find the cloud more secure and there are updates happening day by day. It's becoming more robust.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If they improved their API integrations, I would rate it higher.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Bary Reyes - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Project Lead, Agile Coach, IT Educator at Asia Pacific College
    Powerful, easily scalable, and has good customizations and functionalities
    • "Customizations are most valuable. The customization of workflows is the main power of the Atlassian tools in general."
    • "Its UI is a bit overwhelming for new users. That has been the problem with Jira for a long time. If they could put some fields that we could use to simplify the UI, it would be good."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for IT service management and business process management. We are using it for the help desk to handle all internal requests. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Customizations are most valuable. The customization of workflows is the main power of the Atlassian tools in general.

Functionality-wise, it is a great tool, and I have no problems with it. In terms of ease of use, ease of setup, and support, you can't go wrong with Atlassian tools.

What needs improvement?

Transitioning from the server to the cloud has a learning curve. The pain point is again related to UI and not knowing where to look.

There should be an easier way to connect to an external database with special custom fields. It has been a pain point for me for such a long time. There are processes to do it, but I find them cumbersome.

I've been using Jira for over a decade.

In general, it is pretty stable, but sometimes, it has been sluggish. In a month, I have probably encountered this issue four times. It doesn't impede my work. It is just sluggish.

Sometimes, I get kicked out of the system. That typically happens when we're starting with some configuration.

Scalability-wise, you can definitely scale your systems or integrate with other third parties. There are also plug-ins that you could use and evaluate. So, you do get the flexibility to install plugins.

Before moving to the cloud, I could use plugins for more than 30 days, and I just had to give a request for additional months, but it is not working anymore in the cloud. It is probably because of the company that creates the plugins.

We have 50 users. It doesn't require maintenance. We only maintain workflow changes, and the system runs on its own. Even upgrades are done by them. It is pretty easy as compared to the server version.

For the cloud, I would rate their support a nine out of 10. I don't have to worry about the system. I haven't experienced anything like that before transitioning to the cloud.

If I have to troubleshoot a problem, there is a lot of online documentation. I can also connect with the community. Sometimes, it is faster to Google than contacting their support.

It was straightforward. It happens at the click of a button. It is very easy as compared to setting up the server, which took a lot of skills.

Setting it up just takes a few minutes. It is fast. If a workflow is complex, it would take a day. It depends on the complexity of the workflows, but generally, it is really fast.

I am using the free version, but my clients are paying for it. When they start, they evaluate it for 30 days, and after seeing the value, they move to its paid version.

I didn't evaluate other options. It is my favorite tool, but I am aware of ServiceNow and other ones. If you have Jira, you might as well get their whole ecosystem. If you're in development, you will get Bitbucket and Confluence as well for documentation. For Service Management, there is Jira Service Desk. I usually use their whole package. If there are integration problems, only then we would evaluate other solutions, but we could definitely connect with Jira by API. Atlassian products are very good. We always had Atlassian tools.

What other advice do I have?

I am an evangelist of Atlassian tools, so I usually engage with my clients in using them. Everybody is into digital transformation, and we have been engaging with clients, and we're promoting Atlassian for their digital transformation. One thing that I always tell my clients is that they should have a single source of tools. Atlassian is always at the top of my list with Jira, Service Desk, and Confluence. These are my top three products of Atlassian that I usually give them.

Based on my experience, you should go for the full Atlassian ecosystem if you are looking for IT service management and workflow management for your businesses. If you are into development, Jira is definitely one of the best tools out there. You can pretty much use the whole suite. Scalability-wise, you can easily scale your systems or integrate with other third parties. The only caveat is that you need to have someone who is actually an expert in Atlassian tools for you to be able to maximize it. It is very powerful if you know how to maximize it.

In the context of business process and workflow management, it would be impossible to implement good process management or workflow management in Jira if you haven't defined one. It is important to define the processes and then train people. If you don't train your staff using Atlassian Suite, you're not maximizing your investment.

I would rate Jira Service Management a nine out of 10.

QA Engineer at Kominiti
    Excellent user-friendly solution, easy navigation with robust features
    • "The product is not lacking anything that a QA will want to use."
    • "It is difficult to navigate if you don't have any prior knowledge."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is project management. We use it to record some of our tasks and follow up with our developers to ensure they complete assigned tasks. It is cool and user-friendly. It is easy to navigate and understands most of its functionalities. Additionally, we use it to review developers' tasks and tasks assigned to the QA team from JIRA Service Management to run checks. When we're done with the checks, we do our reports on it, and the project manager can view what has been done. It is a very cool tool, but I didn't work with it for long before I moved to Microsoft Azure Dev Tools.

What is most valuable?

I can't specify which of the functions are my favourite, because I think everything about it is great. The only challenge is that it is difficult to navigate if you don't have any prior knowledge of the software. However, if you have knowledge, you can navigate around it and know what each tool within the software is used for. I preferred JIRA Service Management before we adopted Azure because I had already started getting familiar with it.

What needs improvement?

I think it's well organized. If the project manager knows how to set it up, it can be set it up in a way to suit what we want. The only issues we observed are network related, for example, when we try to log into the system or open up the software. Other than that, I don't think there is any other thing I can say that is wrong with the software. The developers did a very good job of knowing what the users wanted. The product is not lacking anything that a QA will want to use because it's not a major testing tool for QA. However, if they can develop their own JIRA development tool, that will be cool, similar to how we have Chrome development tool and Azure. I think it will be good if that can be incorporated into JIRA Service Management.

We have been using this solution for about five months. First, we used the latest cloud-based version where we navigate to the website and key in our community, company name, projects and group. We can then go directly to our workspace, where we see everything we do.

Most software work with the internet. Some of them, especially those that are cloud-based, are also linked with work servers, but there is no guarantee that they are 100% stable. If the network is not stable, then it affects the software. For example, if you open the web browser and type the URL and get a server error, it's usually a network issue. If the network is stable, the platform will work fine, but if it's not stable, you're going to expect some hiccups in the work site.

The scalability depends on the organizations using JIRA Service Management. If it's fitting for what they are using it for, then it's okay. If it's not, they have every right to change it and use something else. We decided to move away from JIRA Service Management to Azure because we felt it wasn't properly organized. I found working with JIRA Service Management interesting because I could look at the extractor and see which task is in development, or emerging, the status of every task and to who it was assigned.

Our company has currently switched from using JIRA Service Management to Azure.

I don't have any details of the initial setup process.

I don't know anything about the licensing costs. I wasn't with the company when it was installed, and I only used it as a tool for my work. Hence, I cannot comment on pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a ten out of ten, as it does not lack anything. My advice to users is that JIRA Service Management is a good project management tool to handle projects respectively and efficiently. The product is second to none if they know how to use it. Additionally, JIRA Service Management has a learning section where you can go and learn how to use the software. New users to the platform can also capitalize on a cursor feature that describes how to use a particular tool once you hover over it. For those who developed the software, I want to give them a thumbs up as they did a very good job. If there is anything they feel they can add to make it more user-friendly, they should ensure that the users can have access to whatever they want to upgrade on the software and let it be that the users can use that tool effectively. However, the tool could be improved by including more explanations to assist users who are new to the platform. I would describe JIRA Service Management as being 75% user-friendly, but it would be great if it could be 90% user-friendly.

Founder at Solvitech
    Reasonable price and quick compared to other solutions, with great technical support
    • "Compared to other solutions, Jira Service Management is really reasonable regarding price and speed."
    • "In the Turkish market, the biggest problem is that they are looking for a server type of solution, but when it comes to Jira Service Management, Atlassian is a remote type of license. There are just two different options, data center and cloud."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases were finding solutions to customer problems and SLA cases. We worked with customers on some cases like call centers and with some companies who would like to solve their customer's problems. We also worked with the banking industry and insurance industry.

I have worked at OBSS, which is one of the biggest software companies in Turkey. They were also one of the Atlassian Solution Partners in Turkey. I recently left that company.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other solutions, Jira Service Management is really reasonable regarding price and speed. Technical support from the Atlassian agents is great.

What needs improvement?

In the Turkish market, the biggest problem is that they are looking for a server type of solution, but when it comes to Jira Service Management, Atlassian is a remote type of license. There are just two different options, data center and cloud.

When I was working at that company, we started to work with Central Bank of Turkey. We also worked with the defense industry. The biggest complaint was about data privacy. If Atlassian opened a data center in Turkey, that would be a very good solution for these kinds of companies.

Some plugins could be implemented into Jira Service Management, like our plugin. We had our own plugin calculated each status and how much time the company spent in each status.

I have used Jira in the past 12 months. We were using the server type of license. I don't remember the exact version we used, but I have also used the cloud version of Jira Service Management, which was called Jira Service Desk in the past. I used it for more than three years.

The solution is stable.

There were three or four people working on maintenance, but their work was not only in Atlassian. They were working as system engineers. This is one of the responsibilities of maintaining Atlassian products and services.

The solution is scalable. The data center's most popular feature is being scalable.  The cloud is very fast, and setting it up is very easy.

Our company had around 500 people, but after I left the company, it was around 700 or 800 people.

Technical support is good.

When we created a ticket on Atlassian, they were also working SLA services, L1, L2, L3, and L4. When we created a ticket, we were getting very good service from an agent. In some cases, we had talks with our channel manager, especially about the cost of licenses.

We previously used Confluence, Puppet, Bamboo, and HipChat, and then it was sold to Slack. We used Fisheye and Crucible as well. We were using most of the solutions regarding Atlassian. In my daily life, I have also used Trello.

I worked mostly as a business developer, but when I received feedback from our deployment staff, they said it was not difficult to deploy the solution. Cloud is very easy to use. You just can start to work with it.

The license we use is on a yearly basis. As a Solution Partner, we were using the free one and were using the free plugins. We were also giving our own plugins to the Atlassian Solution Partners for free. We don't pay anything to Atlassian.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

Sometimes the beginning of the implementation and working with custom-built workflows was a little bit difficult for regular companies. At this step, I strongly advise that they work with an Atlassian Solution Partner.

Specific industries need specific solutions. Atlassian partners have a lot of experience, maybe in that specific country and in that specific company field.

Sr Associate at a maritime company with 501-1,000 employees
    Great SLAs and reports with an easy setup
    • "The flow of the reports is good."
    • "We have a lot of add-ons, however, instead of the add-ons, for example, cloning could be better."

What is our primary use case?

One use case is to communicate with customers. We have a lot of customers who are facing issues with products and they can raise the request from the customer portals. Internally, we'll also use it for the IT team and the Jira team. If any configuration changes or any new projects need to be created, or any configurations to be implemented, et cetera, we have a service management project and they will raise their tickets.

What is most valuable?

The SLAs are great. With SLAs, we can try them out. If you are providing solutions or responding to customers, it's great.

The flow of the reports is good. I don't see any features or anything that is lacking. Everything is good on the JIRA Service Management, in terms of what they have provided.

It's easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

When we do a clone of a particular issue, it needs to ask certain things like system fields at least, to copy them or not. One thing which I did not like, is whenever we are moving a request from one project to another project, if, during that time, for example, a resolution has been fixed and now I am moving that issue to a particular work in progress status, during that time the resolution needs to be clear. JIRA applications are not providing the information. It is not clearing it in the backend.

If we are moving from one issue to another, we are waiting for support to resolve them. During that time window, a resolution is mandatory and it is not prompting us to resolve anything. Due to this, sometimes the reports might not get properly recorded.

I've been using the solution for the last four years.

Recently, in the Jira cloud, we have had an issue. Users are not able to log in and some of the customer data has also been lost. Overall, it's stable, about 99% stable.

Currently, the number of users on Jira Service Management is around 300 plus users - maybe as many as 400. In terms of Jira software, we have 1400 using it.

It's a scalable product.

We do have plans to increase the licensing in the future.

Technical support has been helpful. We are satisfied with the level of service.

The implementation is straightforward.

I wrote the automation. I used automation for the Jira app, and in the backend, in the workflows. I used a validator with the script. Based on that, I pulled some conditions. It was easy.

I'm not aware of the exact pricing. It's my understanding that, compared to Service Management, the price is a little higher, however, the Jira software price is okay. It's a good price.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user.

We are on the cloud, and therefore using the latest version. They release new versions and fixes automatically and we can take advantage of them right away.

Others need to be aware of how we need to use service management first. They need to know the queues and the SLAs. They need to understand the configurations also.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Other
    Download our free JIRA Service Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022