IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

HPE Synergy OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE Synergy is #1 ranked solution in top Blade Servers and top Composable Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give HPE Synergy an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. HPE Synergy is most commonly compared to HPE BladeSystem: HPE Synergy vs HPE BladeSystem. HPE Synergy is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
HPE Synergy Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Synergy Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is HPE Synergy?

HPE Synergy, the first platform built from the ground up for Composable Infrastructure, offers an experience that empowers IT to create and deliver new value instantly and continuously. It is a single infrastructure that reduces operational complexity for traditional workloads and increases operational velocity for the new breed of applications and services. Through a single interface, HPE Synergy composes physical and virtual compute, storage, and fabric pools into any configuration for any application. As an extensible platform, it easily enables a broad range of applications and operational models such as virtualization, hybrid cloud, and DevOps. With HPE Synergy, IT can become not just the internal service provider but the business partner to rapidly launch new applications that become the business.

HPE Synergy Customers

HudsonAlpha, Virgin Media, EMIS, United

HPE Synergy Video

HPE Synergy Reviews

Systems Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Significantly decreases deployment time and the number of support issues
  • "In terms of the productivity of our deployment team, the amount of time has been decreased a lot. In the past, to deploy one c7000 chassis with 15 or 16 blades, we literally used to spend two to three weeks. But with a Synergy, it's very quick. Within three days we can do the deployment."
  • "I would definitely like to see them fix the firmware updates on all the blades. No matter what operating system it is running on, make sure I can do the firmware as well as the software for those firmware components at the same time. I don't want to have to rely on an external product. Let's bring that product inside the menu so that I have a better experience with updates."

What is our primary use case?

Virtualization is our primary use case.

How has it helped my organization?

The deployment time has been decreased a lot. There are fewer things to configure and that increases productivity and provides time to work on different things. Fewer resources are required and it requires less of my time.

In terms of the productivity of our deployment team, the amount of time has been decreased a lot. In the past, to deploy one c7000 chassis with 15 or 16 blades, we literally used to spend two to three weeks. But with a Synergy, it's very quick. Within three days we can do the deployment.

Because we are bringing in and deploying things very quickly, we can go to the business and give them solutions pretty quickly. It helps us to implement new business requirements quickly.

Moreover, the number of support issues with this particular Synergy environment is way less than with c7000 so I'm very happy with that. I'm not opening as many support tickets as with the c7000. That's where it's great for our whole team.

With the decrease in support issues, there has been a decrease in our cost of operations.

What is most valuable?

The ease of deployment is the first thing that comes to mind.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely like to see them fix the firmware updates on all the blades. No matter what operating system it is running on, make sure I can do the firmware as well as the software for those firmware components at the same time. I don't want to have to rely on an external product. Let's bring that product inside the menu so that I have a better experience with updates. Firmware is a very big thing.

I would also like them to bring management of all the Synergy equipment into a single management interface, no matter where they're located.

HPE Synergy
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE Synergy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

2 years

No major outages. We have had a few small issues here and there but that's about it.

We are hitting our third Synergy rack and we are buying the fourth. You can go well with it until seven. After seven, you probably need to put another management ring in there. Other than that, it can scale and work exceptionally well.

We have gotten some very good technical support from a few guys. I even have their names. Whenever we call them, we generally get support from those two or three guys and we are happy with them.

We knew we needed to invest in a new solution because of business requirements. When the business feels that we are a little bit late or declining, that's when we need to look into different solutions and price.

The initial setup is straightforward. I worked on it a lot for one year. Synergy is a little bit different, but I got enough training initially. In addition, HPE deployment guys were there for the initial setup. Later I did it myself.

We did it for ourselves.

ROI has been pretty good, although we're still investing a lot.

We also shortlisted Cisco and Dell. We went with HPE because we are pretty comfortable with it. The price was also competitive enough to beat them.

What other advice do I have?

Look into Synergy. It's a pretty decent a product at the enterprise scale. It has all the capabilities.

The biggest lesson we've learned from using this solution is that the product is really good. When we see the next iteration of the product, and that the company does a very good job of fixing issues, we really like it. That's what happened when we upgraded from c7000 to Synergy.

I would give the product about an eight out of ten. The product is pretty rock-solid. There are small issues here and there. But it has helped me to decrease my deployment time, and the number of support calls and time spent on support have been decreased a lot compared to c7000 and the issues that we were seeing with that. That's why I like it.

IBM
CEO with 51-200 employees
Scales easy with good technical support and a straightforward setup
  • "Technical support is excellent. They are very helpful."
  • "The Synergy platform is HPE-specific and more for on-premises. You're kind of locked in with VMware and the HPE with the VMs. The Nutanix offering is a bit more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to deploy an on-prem client.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature within the solution is the main management offering. They call it the GreenLake offering. It's the OPEX model. They manage that for the client.

The stability is very good so far. The performance has been reliable.

The solution is easily scalable. You can expand it if you want to.

If you have the right team in place, the initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Technical support is excellent. They are very helpful.

They're way ahead of the game. The software-defined fabric they have is very good.

What needs improvement?

They actually have a different offering with Nutanix. That's more generic. The Synergy platform is HPE-specific and more for on-premises. You're kind of locked in with VMware and the HPE with the VMs. The Nutanix offering is a bit more flexible.

I've been using the solution for about a year and a half. That was when it was installed by a client. It hasn't been too long.

We have the stability to be reliable. The performance is good. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is extremely scalable. It's one of the highlights of the product for us. If a company needs to expand, it can do so with ease.

It's a data center offering. Whatever applications are installed on there, and, in our case, there are hundreds of applications installed, services all the users.

We have been in touch with their technical support and they assisted us in the implementation process. Their assistance is top-of-the-line. The team is helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with the level of support provided.

I have experience with Nutanix. I would say with Nutanix, the sky's the limit there. It's very comprehensive and it integrates with all the clouds - and you have the on-prem as well if you need it.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's straightforward. With the team we had, it was fairly easy. We also had assistance from HPE throughout the process, and having their insights were helpful.

In general, the maintenance is handled by HPE. We don't have to worry about it.

HPE was there all along the way. It was very good. They're very good to work with.

I can't discuss the exact amount of money we pay for licensing. The amount is confidential.

It's my understanding that the deal we arrived at was very competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants. HPE is simply a service provider for us.

I don't recall which version of the solution we are using.

I would advise others considering the solution to consider the Nutanix HPE with the GreenLake as an alternate. There is just a little bit more flexibility in a product like Nutanix, although they are all good.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

HPE Synergy
July 2022
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MohammadSoltani - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technical Officer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Great for software defined solutions, has good storage; integrations can be complicated
  • "Great data storage and very good for software defined solutions."
  • "Changes to the solution are quite complex."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers of HPE Synergy and I'm the CTO.

What is most valuable?

Synergy has great data storage and it's a storage module. It's very good for software defined solutions. For example, customers needing a large data solution can use Synergy with blade and storage modules, but in a VMware environment for database solutions, Synergy is not useful. The important thing is the application - I think Synergy is a very good solution in some cases, but not for general purpose solutions or mixed environments, such as VM and physical environments that require larger storage.

What needs improvement?

I think the main issue with Synergy is a topology that HPE defines to connecting and creating a cluster. There are satellites and interconnecting modules which should interconnect with one special topology. If you want to change that and add another shelf in the cluster you have to change everything. I think it's very, very complex. But for example, in UCS, you have fabric interconnects, USC blades connect to fabric interconnects. It allows you to add more and more USC blades to the fabric interconnect. There is no connectivity between blades chassis. In Synergy, there are many connections between the blades chassis and I think that's the main issue. The other thing is that Synergy has a composer module that OneView runs on and which manages that cluster. I don't like HPE softwares. I think, for example, in comparison, the UCS manager is the better solution for managed blades than OneView. OneView is not as strong for that

It would be helpful if Synergy would add Cisco networking products, and network models in CSG, C 7000, maybe Blade models, software Cisco products, for example, b 22, CISCO B22 modules. I think the number of customers that use Cisco in their data centers is more than the customers that use HPE solutions. Because of that, I think HPE should add Cisco products and network modules to Synergy - I think that would be a good idea.

I've been using this solution for two years.

Although the setup is complex, once it's up and running, the product is stable.

The scalability is very complex. In Cisco, you connect everything to fabric interconnect. You can attain the blades on their fabric interconnect so scalability is one of main issues in Synergy.

Because of the cabling between FLM modules and a composer, the initial setup is complex. We are more familiar with IPv4 than IPv6. I think the initial setup is more complex than for UCS or c7000.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution but it has some issues.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

JuanDuque - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager of Capacity and Control Management at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with good performance and more capacity
  • "The scalability is great."
  • "They must improve the OneView tools."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is related to the platform Binware. We grade the platform of Binware, the old version of Bingware to the new version of Binware since the old version has an obsolescence issue. We've been successfully migrating all Bingware options and the Bingware version to the new one in this new Blade Synergy.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good.

It has good stability.

The scalability is great.

There is this new centralized tool for managing the whole platform. Its name is OneView. It has been great.

What needs improvement?

They must improve the OneView tools. They could put in more tools and improve options to help better manage more things and so we can integrate more platforms with OneView. Right now, Binware is integrated with some licenses to OneView, and you can integrate, Citrix licenses with OneView or RedHat, for example, with OneView. The improvement has to be introduced in order to activate more license options for other plots so you can control it with the OneView tools.

We have about ten users on the solution currently. They are specialists.

We also use HPE Blades. However, we are migrating over to Synergy.

We are moving as the Blade system is practically at the end of life. It is going to be end of life in 2025. Right now, if you going to try to buy a new Blade system, HPE doesn't sell it. The option that HPE gives you is Synergy. In addition to that, Synergy has better performance. It's newer with a better processor, more capacity for memory, more capacity for CPU, and all of that.

The initial setup is not so easy. It has a medium level of difficulty. On a scale from one to five, the difficulty could be three.

Depending on the operating system, however, it could be 20 to 25 minutes. We need less than ten people for deployment and maintenance. Likely, within a year, we'll be buying as we migrate over from Blade to Synergy.

Usually, we handle the deployments in-house, without the help of outside support from consultants or integrators.

I don't have details in regards to the actual cost.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

We going to move the platform of the Blade system to Synergy system.

I'm not sure which model we're using.

I would advise new users to implement all the tools Synergy has and use all the licenses and options that OneView has. It's useful for managing your Intel platform.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

System Integration Engineer at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Stable and well-built with a straightforward setup
  • "The solution is built very well. It's very robust and durable."
  • "In the past, I have had issues with configurations."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our use cases are under NDA. I can't speak to how specific clients use it.

Use cases can vary by quite a bit. Generally, companies can use it as a computing system, as a database, or for virtualization. There are very different use cases that can be covered by this product.

What is most valuable?

The product is mostly stable.

The solution is built very well. It's very robust and durable.

The installation is straightforward.

If a customer would like to, they have the opportunity to buy technical support licenses.

What needs improvement?

In the past, I have had issues with configurations.

I've been doing installations for a while at this point. Likely, it's been about a year.

The product is mostly stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable. I haven't had any issues with the hardware. It's a well-built product and it's durable.

I wouldn't describe this solution as scalable as it is hardware. It's scalable inside the chassis. However, I have not tried to scale it yet. I don't really have experience in this aspect.

We have four clients that are currently using the solution.

I don't have any experience with technical support. That's handled on the customer side. If they have issues with the solution, they would contact HPE directly. I'm just an installer.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. An organization probably wouldn't have too many issues. I have struggled with the configuration aspect, however. That can be a bit difficult.

I cannot remember exactly how long the deployment takes in its entirety. It's maybe an hour or so, for the physical installation. After that, the deployment and configuration depend on the organization and its requirements. Sometimes it's a couple of hours. Sometimes it takes two days.

You only really need two people for deployment and maintenance.

I handle the installations for clients. I'm an integrator.

You can purchase support licenses for this product. Those would need to be paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an integrator and I mostly deal with solution hardware. I also use HPE Rack.

I install the latest versions of the solution.

I would recommend the solution as it is very well built. As a chassis, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

CEO at DUKSCO SARL
Enables centralization of all administrative tasks
  • "The product enables the centralization of all administrative tasks."
  • "Technical support was time consuming and unsatisfactory. The initial product setup was complex, lasing around three weeks to a month."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using this product to build a private cloud infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

While it is difficult for me to state how the product has improved my organization without making use of a comparative frame of reference, I can state that it has enabled us to centralize all administrative tasks.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable about this product are the number of interface combinations made possible with a single computer node. Secondly, I would rate the ease of configuration.

What needs improvement?

As concerns room for improvement, the number of levers in the system should be addressed. Technical solutions should be made easier. The advice I would give is that HPE Synergy increase the availability of the deployment.

We have been using the product for one year.

I have not been using high speed for long enough to give an adequate rating of the product's stability.

I consider this product extremely scalable. A single view allows for tremendous management capabilities.

I have had to make use of technical support for one or two problems concerning product deployment. I had to instruct them to use their headphones. Only at this point did they give me results and they were not good. I had to request to be escalated and this was time consuming. The last issue for which I had to turn to technical support involved the apparent loss of a compute node on one of the computers.

Previously, we used an IBM Blade Server and, subsequently, the IBM system.

The initial setup was complex and this can take around three weeks to a month.

I do integration on behalf of the customer.

I cannot properly advise on setup, pricing or licensing costs.

We did not evaluate other options before settling on HPE Synergy and, besides, this decision was not in my purview to make.

What other advice do I have?

The entire company and all its customers are utilizing this product. Plans are in place for future upgrades.

I would rate HPE Synergy an eight out of ten.

Ali Balandy - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Architect at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Lots of valuable features and very expandable but is quite complex
  • "There is no problem with the scalability."
  • "The only good thing is that they have some powerful machines that you can use, such as the latest generations of HPE Compute that you can use."

What is our primary use case?

It's a little bit more complex than Blade Enclosure. It's like any virtual environment, probably. If you have virtualization on the top of the Synergy Frame, it works well.

What is most valuable?

I didn't see a lot of valuable features with Synergy. The Blade Enclosure was easier to use. They have complicated things with Synergy. The only good thing is that they have some powerful machines that you can use, such as the latest generations of HPE Compute that you can use. That's the only advantage.

What needs improvement?

It's a pretty complex solution.

The continuous update of the firmware and the patch updates and security updates for the hardware make it continuously complex. It all comes back to complexity. I don't have any other concerns. It's all about how complex the component is.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years.

There is no problem with the scalability. We haven't had issues. It can scale as needed.

The HPE tech support is okay. It's only that you need to push them a bit so that you can get the right person. Sometimes they just give you someone that really is learning with you, which is not good. However, if you push it a little bit, then you get the right person.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

We are an HPE shop in terms of blade technology. In terms of the computer, we are an HPE shop. So, we are with the Blade Enclosure and with the Synergy Frame. We use both.

We're just using HPE OneView with the Blade Enclosure and with the Synergy Frame. We are a very small shop. We are moving mainly to the cloud. So, everything we do is more in the cloud. On-prem we are a very small shop.

If you are okay to keep going with the Blade Enclosure (as the Blade Enclosure is not going to expire for quite a while) I would advise a user to compare a few other things before going with Synergy. For me, it wasn't a good experience.

I'd rate the solution a six out of ten.

CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to set up and scale, but should be more user-friendly
  • "The stability of the solution is very reliable."
  • "The profiles aren't so easy to work with."

What is most valuable?

The stability of the solution is very reliable.

The solution can scale up if a company needs it to.

The initial setup is very easy and quite straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I've found the user experience to not be that great. It's something that they could really improve on. They need to make it more user-friendly.

The profiles aren't so easy to work with.

We find the agility to be lacking.

I've been using the solution for the past few years. I've used it for a while and have some time to get to know the product.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is great.

The solution scales very well. If a company can expand it, it can do so.

Few people are using it now. Previously, we had many more users. Right now, we may have a few hundred users.

We've never used technical support. We've never really had a need to reach out to the technical team. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I also have experience working on Cisco products. While HPE is a good solution, I do find Cisco to be a bit better.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not complex or overly difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with HPE.

My understanding is that we are on the latest version of the solution at this time. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I would advise if you need to choose between this solution and Cisco, that Cisco might be a better option.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Download our free HPE Synergy Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022