IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Hitachi Content Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hitachi Content Platform is #7 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools. PeerSpot users give Hitachi Content Platform an average rating of 8 out of 10. Hitachi Content Platform is most commonly compared to Dell ECS: Hitachi Content Platform vs Dell ECS. Hitachi Content Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Hitachi Content Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Hitachi Content Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Hitachi Content Platform?

Hitachi Content Platform is an object storage solution that enables IT organizations and cloud service providers to store, share, sync, protect, preserve, analyze and retrieve file data from a single system. It is more efficient, easier to use, and capable of handling much more data than traditional file storage solutions. HCP automates day-to-day IT operations like data protection and readily evolves to changes in scale, scope, applications, storage, server and cloud technologies over the life of data. In IT environements where data grows quickly or must live for years, decades or even indefinitely, these capabilities are invaluable.

Hitachi Content Platform was previously known as HCP, Hitachi Vantara Content Platform, Hitachi Vantara HCP.

Hitachi Content Platform Customers

Rabobank, Xinhua News Agency, Kremsm'ller Industrieanlagenbau KG, KSC Commercial Internet, AIS Group, Shanghai Interactive Television Co. Ltd (SiTV), China Telecom, Spin Master

Hitachi Content Platform Video

Hitachi Content Platform Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hitachi Content Platform pricing:
  • "Pricing is comparable to other solutions in the market."
  • "Overall, it's costly."
  • "The pricing could be better."
  • "The price of the Hitachi Content Platform is very high."
  • Hitachi Content Platform Reviews

Pooja Padmawar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technology Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The GUI is intuitive, and it integrates well with our existing solutions
    • "We are using Content Platform for data migration, and it integrates with our HNS platform. This is good because we can integrate it with our existing HNS and SAP solutions. The GUI is also user-friendly. It doesn't take much time to do anything. If we know the architecture and the steps, we can do what we need with a few clicks."
    • "When you want to replace a disk, we need to start the maintenance from the S nodes. We have to automate maintenance so any onsite engineer can replace it after that, but we don't need to do this on VSP platforms. An engineer can come in and replace that specific disk. If also we could do that on Hitachi Content Platform, it would be great for us."

What is our primary use case?

My job involves managing storage, like adding new hosts in our environment, creating users, zoning, and allocation. I completely decommission storage when a site is decommissioned and carry out all the DR activities, performance monitoring, tuning, and handling Hitachi universal replication.  These are for the VSP areas and NAS activities like provisioning shares and capacity, as well as access management over the shares and file systems. These tasks are all done in Hitachi HNS. I use Hitachi Content Platform to manage namespaces, tenants, and pools. This is a backup and storage project with a few tenants used for archival purposes. Data are sent for the archival, and data gets archived according to the retention period in their specific tenant. We have particular tenants that are used for data migration. It is integrated with our HNS platform. These are the two main purposes for Hitachi Content Platform. We have about 50 people in my company working on HCP for this project, but my company has many projects, so I don't know who is using HCP for others.

How has it helped my organization?

We can easily integrate Content Platform into our environment. We have G10 and S10 nodes. The metadata is stored in the pools that make up the G10 node, while the actual data goes to the pool that forms the S nodes. It has built-in data and capacity management, a background service that handles capacity balancing. It's scheduled to balance the data in each S node.

What is most valuable?

We are using Content Platform for data migration, and it integrates with our HNS platform. This is good because we can integrate it with our existing HNS and SAP solutions. The GUI is also user-friendly. It doesn't take much time to do anything. If we know the architecture and the steps, we can do what we need with a few clicks.

What needs improvement?

When you want to replace a disk, we need to start the maintenance from the S nodes. We have to automate maintenance so any onsite engineer can replace it after that, but we don't need to do this on VSP platforms. An engineer can come in and replace that specific disk. If also we could do that on Hitachi Content Platform, it would be great for us.  Also, after we upgraded this S node to the 2.2 version, we found a minor bug where it was giving us false positives showing that the system had failed when it hadn't. I think Hitachi released a patch that resolves this. In the next update, I would like to see one new feature. We get email alerts when a tenant is at 90 percent capacity or so. It should have the option to automatically expand if the pool has enough space. For example, if the pool has 30 percent free, you can increase the tenant's space when it's 90 percent full.
    Hitachi Content Platform
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Hitachi Content Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with Hitachi Content Platform for two years.

Content Platform is reliable. We seldom have issues with it, so it's quite good.

It's easy to scale.

If we have any issues we cannot resolve, we escalate with the Hitachi team, and they help us. Their support is good.

I worked on the HP 3PAR on-premises solution, but not the cloud solution. HCP is the only cloud solution I've used. If we're comparing Hitachi and HP 3PAR, I would say they're equally good. 3PAR has some good features, but so does Hitachi.

I don't know about the deployment, who was involved, how much time it took, or what issues they faced. Hitachi Content Platform was installed in the environment when I joined the company. For maintenance, we need to upgrade it to the n-1 version annually. I can't think of any other maintenance that we perform.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hitachi Content Platform eight out of 10. I would recommend it.

Owning Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Helps prevent bit rot, but its ability to track logs for access needs to be improved
    • "One of the most hidden valuable features is ensuring that you don't have bit rot, so it will go and check every single object that's stored on the system, then ensure that if there's a problem, it'll be repaired from either a local copy or remote copy, depending upon your configuration."
    • "This product's ability to track logs for access still needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I typically use it to back up an archive.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a ton of valuable features. One of the most hidden valuable features is ensuring that you don't have bit rot, so it will go and check every single object that's stored on the system, then ensure that if there's a problem, it'll be repaired from either a local copy or remote copy, depending upon your configuration.

It also has a variety of features for the metadata for the objects, so you can add additional searching, plus it has a good compliance feature set.

What needs improvement?

This product's ability to track logs for access could be differentiating and still needs to be improved, but that probably doesn't exist on any product in its class either.

I've been using it for quite a while.

I found the stability of this solution to be stellar.

The scalability of this solution is stellar.

I didn't deal with technical support.

HItachi does a lot with automation. I'm not as familiar with Cloud-Scale which is their new architecture. I assume it's easier than their current one. It tends to show up as an appliance at a certain scale that you buy. It might be hardware, it might be software, and given that, the user will just need to plug it in for installation. It comes as a turnkey appliance, or it comes as a series of virtual machines from a software perspective.

I've evaluated Dell EMC and AWS S3.

What other advice do I have?

I used to work at Hitachi, so I'm deeply familiar with what their offering looks like, and from a competitive standpoint, historically, it's where Dell, EMC's, etc., come from. I have more experience with the Hitachi content platform. I helped in the acquisition of the company that Hitachi had or Hitachi pursued to actually make the product.

My experience is with version nine of this solution. They have a new product called HCP for Cloud Scale: It's their whole new architecture which I'm not as familiar with.

That's how all these companies tend to go to market. There may be some things around IoT, but at the end of the day, the overriding concern is the cost to store. The least costly per terabyte the better.

All of these companies, when you amortize it between three to five years, the pricing looks very similar, or they have to look very similar to AWS S3.

My advice to others looking into implementing this solution is to not assume it's only hardware. People will make an assumption that it's only hardware-based and it's not. You can buy a software edition of it, and I think their newer product is even more flexible from a software perspective. They may view Hitachi as just a hardware supplier, but they're not only hardware.

Hitachi has done a lot of work in rolling upgrades, expansions recovery from failures, etc., which are fundamental to the product.

On a scale of one to ten, I'd put it at a seven, but I don't think there's any product in the category that would be beyond a seven.

Hitachi Content Platform
    June 2022
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Product Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Great interface with good integration capabilities but can be expensive
    • "Companies can scale the solution."
    • "The solution could use more integration with clouds."

What is our primary use case?

We are providing the Hitachi Content Platform to customers.

We are positioning the HCP solution for customers that needs to increase the backup throughput. This is the biggest deal that I have with HCP. It's almost two petabytes.

What is most valuable?

The immutability of the solution is great. That user cannot even change the objects or the file that is stored in the solution.

People like the interface and the integration capabilities.

The stability is great.

Companies can scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be better.

Technical support could be more available to certain regions such as ours.

The solution could use more integration with clouds. We have some integrations. This customer would like to run backups into Content Platform solutions and then to another solution like a cloud. We can see integration with Amazon, however, so far, I cannot see the integration potential with the Google GCP and the Microsoft options. The customer should have a contract with Amazon Web Services. If customers have a contract with any other, they should move the contract to this cloud.

I've dealt with the solution for five to six years at this point.

The stability of the product is pretty good. The performance is good and it's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

Scaling the solution is possible and is pretty easy. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

In this part of the world, technical support is not working as it should. Here, there is very few personnel in the field working with the solution. It could improve.

I cannot speak to the initial setup. I was not a part of the process and therefore can't speak about personal experience.

You typically need two or three people for deployment and maintenance tasks. You might need one engineer and one admin.

The cost of the solution is pretty expensive. Clients would like it if it was more reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I am a reseller for Hitachi solutions and Veeam solutions as well. I'm not an end-user. I'm the person who recommends the solution to customers.

We are offering the latest versions of the product to clients.

The infrastructure should be ready to receive this kind of solution. This is a slightly different solution than storage solutions, and therefore, a company should be prepared in advance for its implementation.

I used to say to customers, "You should learn about this and study the HCP solutions," as this is completely different than block storage solutions. New users need to understand how to manage, how to maintain, and how to improve it.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Mir Gulzar Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager IT at Synergy Computers
    Provides storage space for customers in sectors that require a large volume of data
    • "Hitachi is a big company, so it's a very strong product."
    • "The only thing is that it should be more cost effective."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider, so we propose this solution to customers.

You can deploy it on cloud or on-premise. You can buy some space from cloud service providers also. It also supports ST protocol.

Not all of the service providers have Hitachi Content Platform space available because it all depends on if they have Hitachi Content Platform deployed on their environment.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. Hitachi is a big company, so it's a very strong product. The only thing is that it should be more cost effective.

I have been working with this solution for the past 12 years.

It's a stable product.

It's scalable.

Technical support is okay in the Pakistan area. If there's something wrong, they make a special arrangement for support and services.

I think StorageGRID is a better option for any customer. NetApp is focused on market trends and makes products according to the market trends. It's a bit cheaper than Hitachi, but Hitachi Content Platform is only for specific use cases while StorageGRID is more than that. They target customers who want a single space for their storage system, a petabyte of storage space that can be managed, monitored, and present via one console.

If the customer wants a bigger space, I would refer them to a content platform. Someone in the oil and gas sector will have a lot of data, so traditional storage will not work with that. They need storage that gives them more volume.

Any product from Hitachi is not going to be straightforward to deploy. It's really difficult compared to other solutions, like StorageGRID. Deploying it isn't easy, especially when a customer is deploying it on-prem. If a customer is getting space from the selective cloud service provider, then obviously there's no deployment requirement at all because it's already deployed and you just buy a license or buy space from a service provider.

Overall, it's costly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

My advice is that if someone wants to deploy Hitachi, they need a lot of money.

Hybrid Cloud
    Product Manager Products at TELCOMBAS SA
    Solid management tools makes architecting backup solutions easy
    • "As an architect, I like the management features that come with Hitachi Content Platform because it makes things easy."
    • "Two things that can be improved are pricing and configuration. Mostly the pricing is an issue. And if I were to add anything, I would say more integration with backup solutions such as Veeam Backup."

What is our primary use case?

I have a lot of experience in Hitachi Content Platform and backup solutions because I am the manager at Telcombas for these technologies. Hitachi Content Platform is used either as an archive repository or for primary storage for web applications. My responsibilities include the configuration and design of the architecture for physical HCP devices and other storage solutions, and I largely work with platforms on Linux and other open software.

For our clients, we are now implementing mainly the newer models from Hitachi Content Platform and the main applications for this technology includes anti-ransomware, DRP protocols, archiving, replication, compression, and more.

What is most valuable?

As an architect, I like the management features that come with Hitachi Content Platform because it makes things easy. But there is certainly more to like, depending on what you're using it for. It's a really fine platform in terms of archiving, replication, compression, and other backup applications.

I think it's scalable.

The customer service and support is very good.

The setup is easy, in general. We find that the more capacity we add, the more difficult it is, but when it comes to starting up, it's not hard at all.

We have two or three engineers on call for deployment and maintenance scenarios.

The pricing could be better.

What other advice do I have?

In all my experience and feedback from customers, we are confident that this product is very good.

I would rate Hitachi Content Platform a nine out of ten.

Engineer at Innovo
    Scalable, highly reliable, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

Hitachi Content Platform is used by the customers for storing application data.

What needs improvement?

Hitachi Content Platform is a complicated solution. You need to put several pieces of the hardware together in order to achieve the capacity or the performance needed.

I have been using the Hitachi Content Platform for more than seven years.

The Hitachi Content Platform is a stable and reliable solution.

The scalability of the Hitachi Content Platform is very good.

The support of the Hitachi Content Platform is very good. It is important you inform the support the problem you are facing is critical, if you do not then you could have delays having a response.

I rate the support from Hitachi Content Platform a four out of five.

Hitachi Content Platform's initial setup can be complex. For example, our client has critical application requirements which have to be handled carefully. The design has to be made so it is highly reliable.

It took approximately six months before this solution was in full production. They allocate a project manager and an engineer 100 percent of the time, for this project.

Professional service is needed for the implementation.

The price of the Hitachi Content Platform is very high.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great solution, it's reliable, but you must be aware that if the application is critical for the customer, you will need to have deep in-house knowledge, or hire a special team to do the design.

I rate Hitachi Content Platform an eight out of ten.

Download our free Hitachi Content Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022