We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Fortinet FortiOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiOS is #18 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiOS an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiOS is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiWeb: Fortinet FortiOS vs Fortinet FortiWeb. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiOS?

Control all the security and networking capabilities in all your FortiGates across your entire network with one intuitive operating system. Improve your protection and visibility while reducing operating expenses and saving time with a truly consolidated next generation enterprise firewall platform.

Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Fortinet FortiOS Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiOS Video

Fortinet FortiOS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiOS pricing:
  • "The support contracts are usually about $100 - $200 a device."
  • "The software costs roughly half what the hardware costs. Overall, the product is expensive."
  • "The Fortinet solutions can be a bit expensive."
  • "The cost is around $40,000."
  • Fortinet FortiOS Reviews

System Administrator at RBDigital
    Robust, scales well using FortiManager, and you have a choice of two different modes to run in
    • "It is more robust than SonicWall, particularly on the VPN from site to site."
    • "I can only compare it with SonicWall, and it is missing many advanced features that SonicWall has."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a gateway, a firewall for the office.

How has it helped my organization?

More Stability on VPN and SSL Deep Packet Inspection (Compare to Sonicwall)

What is most valuable?

It is very robust.

What needs improvement?

Many things are missing from the interface that necessitates using the CLI, so it needs to be improved. When I migrated to FortiGate, there many things that I wanted to do, but couldn't.

With FortiOS, you can use the router in two modes. The first mode is the profile mode, which is the starter mode that most use, but you have another mode that is a policy mode and is required before creating your firewall rule. The problem is that when you switch from one mode to the other, all of your firewall rules will be gone. This means that you have to decide if you want to use the policy mode firewall or a profile mode firewall.

With policy mode, you can have granular control on the application on the firewall rule because the firewall rule works with the source destination protocol. With the application, you have multiple rules, one by one. As an example, you can have one for Skype or one for OneDrive, etc. On the source, you can add a group, and add people to the group, and they can have access to Skype and OneDrive along with others added.

You can granularly control applications on the firewall rule with the policy mode, but you don't have access to the proxy mode rules. There are also issues with the antivirus, IPS, and you are forced to switch back to the profile mode where you have less granular control on the application.

I have problems with the IPS stability and the antivirus in Policy Based Mode. If the file is bigger, then the antivirus doesn't check it.

In policy Based Mode, There are many issues. (Firmware =< 6.4)

I have been using this solution for one year.

We are using the latest version, either 6.4 or 6.5.

This solution is very stable. It is more stable than SonicWall. The biggest difference is the stability on the VPN site to site, and on the DPI SSL for the HTTPS communication.

If you wanted to expand the firewall to another office you would have to use the FortiManager, which I have not used yet.

I have built five routers, one by one.

SonicWall is the same where you have the GMS that can be used to move the rule to the other firewall.

Technical support is not always good.

I can only compare it with SonicWall, and it is missing many advanced features that SonicWall has. SonicWall has multiple advanced features on the DNS, Antivirus, etc...  and a lot of options that don't exist in Fortinet.

With SonicWall, I never had to use the CLI but have had to with Fortinet. They are missing many things on the interface.

FortiGate is like a teenager, where SonicWall is the adult firewall. However, it is more robust than SonicWall, particularly on the VPN site to site and SLL Inspection.

When you build a VPN from site to site, you have to make sure the tunnel you select has the same option on both sides to make it work, but you have to also make sure that the routing exists, the mapping exists, and the firewall role exists.

If one of them is not there, even if you create a site-to-site VPN with the other side and everything, there is no error, the VPN will not go up.

On SonicWall, it's different. You build a tunnel, you put the same encryption, the same password on both tunnels, and you click up and it's up. If it's not working, it's because you didn't create yet the firewall rule, you work on the VPN, you click, then connect, and it's up.

Then if it's still not working, you create a firewall rule and it's up, or if you forgot the net rule, etc. You do that step-by-step, and it's working, but unfortunately if one of them has a mistake, even if you have no error on the site-to-site VPN setup, it's not going up.

With SonicWall, you can do it step by step and have it working, but with Fortinet, you have to do it all at the same time with no errors.

I work on the configuration and not really involved in the pricing. It was already in place when the company decided to switch back to Fortinet.

I concentrate more on security.

What other advice do I have?

I know Fortinet and SonicWall, and If I had to consider other solutions or if I have to redo it again, I would take a closer look with Palo Alto first.

With Palo Alto, the cost is more, but when I switch from SonicWall to Fortinet FortiOS, I lost a lot in the features. I would check to see if Palo Alto has what was lost in terms of features.

The stability is good. I would rate Fortinet FortOS an eight out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Scalable, with extensive features and good technical support
    • "There are a lot of features that we like within the solution. The resources or performance of the firewall is very good. However, the real selling point is the fact that the solution offers so many features, it gives our clients a lot of extras that they can work with. There's a lot on offer."
    • "Right now, it's very trendy to integrate everything into the cloud. This solution would be more effective if they did more integration in that regard."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our firewalls.

Basically we're providing security distribution for our client. One of the solutions we utilize are firewalls. It helps secure the environment and monitor traffic.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features that we like within the solution. The resources or performance of the firewall is very good. However, the real selling point is the fact that the solution offers so many features, it gives our clients a lot of extras that they can work with. There's a lot on offer.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution since 2016. It's been a few years now.

The solution is very stable, however, in rare instances where there happens to be a bug or glitch, the good thing about them is that they release fixes whenever there's a bug on the OS. Users will need to upgrade their OS if this is the case in order to get the fix. It's great that they deal with the bugs head-on and put out fixes efficiently.

The solution is quite scalable. It's one of its selling features. Although, I believe that most competitors would also scale just as well.

Support is very fast and reliable, but it absolutely depends on the ticket, or what it is comprised of or how hard the errors or problems are. Easy questions are dealt with quite quickly, but harder issues might take at least an hour or so before a user would get a reply.

We mostly focus on Fortinet products for our firewalls. We don't really use a different solution and haven't used something else in the past. I'm familiar with Sophos firewalls but have not deployed any just yet.

While Sophos is more expensive than Fortinet, from what I have seen, their functionality is basically the same. The difference between the two appears to be simply in the architecture of each solution. They are quite similar, but the user interface is a bit different.

I'm quite comfortable with the solution, so for me the process of installing the solution is quite straightforward. I would say it's very straightforward, and it's easy to learn, especially because they offer a very good GUI. It's not as easy to set up as, for example, FortiGate, which is an application on FortiOS. FortiOS is just a bit more complex.

The deployment time varies. It largely depends on the number of security policies that demand attention. It's most likely one day or so, so it's not too long. However, it can vary. You only need one person to deploy the product.

We implement the solution for our clients. We handle the deployment for them ourselves using our in-house team. Typically I'll be the one to deploy it for the clients directly, and then I'll hand everything over to after-sales support.

I'm not sure of the pricing, but my understanding, after looking into Sophos, is that Fortinet is less expensive than Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We're using version 6.2 of the solution right now, however, the latest version available is 6.4.

I'm part of the security team at our organization. We're business partners with Fortinet.

I would advise other companies to choose a firewall brand that they can they afford. Cost is an important aspect. It needs to work well within an organization's budget. It doesn't make sense to look at products that are out of an organization's price range, so make sure you are looking at options that are affordable.

The second thing to consider is the solution's functionality. If that particular brand or particular product has the functionality required, and they are able to implement it on their network or in their infrastructure, that's a good sign.

The third consideration should be support. It's important for a company to understand how fast and how reliable the support is. That's very important after the sale.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    JOSEPH MILLER
    President at Key Solutions, Inc.
    Also offers email filtering and data loss prevention
    • "All networks are security-driven, we get throughputs and security. We feel that the people at Fortinet are easy to deal with from a support standpoint. If they need to jump in and help us, they're very willing to do that. Their email filtering, their data loss prevention, their intrusion prevention, type of products in the newest OSs has been outstanding."
    • "It could more scalable for the lower end users."

What is our primary use case?

It's a security device. We use it to keep the bad guys away.

What is most valuable?

A firewall is a security appliance. FortiGate also does email filtering and does data loss prevention.

All networks are security-driven, we get throughputs and security. We feel that the people at Fortinet are easy to deal with from a support standpoint. If they need to jump in and help us, they're very willing to do that. Their email filtering, their data loss prevention, their intrusion prevention, type of products in the newest OSs has been outstanding.

I have been using Fortinet FortiOS for ten years.

The stability is excellent.

Scalability is wonderful. Affordability is really good.

Everybody's being protected by the firewall. The firewall device is using the operating system. And so, in that sense, you could say everybody is using it. The people that are actually technically working with the Fortinet devices are a handful, six to eight technicians.

We've used other solutions in the past. But we've settled into FortiGate for around 10 years.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's pretty much just plug and play. It takes hours.

They're very competitive and easy to work with in terms of pricing. I can't say, that's why we chose them, that's why we've stuck with them. It's a very well-respected name in the industry.

Everybody wants to go to Cisco for different things and everybody loves to hate Cisco. Cisco is a great product for large companies. They're low income, they're low-end products and their support for their low-end products leaves a lot to be desired. That's hence why SonicWall, Extreme Networks, and Fortinet are in business. There are these other smaller companies that are getting involved with the smaller companies, taking market shares away from Cisco because Cisco's support for their product is bad.

The support contracts are usually about $100 - $200 a device. The support contract usually includes software upgrades, hardware maintenance, and hardware break-fix. And they very seldom break.

I am looking at replacing some SonicWalls for a customer. I think SonicWall is its competition. SonicWall is got a good product, but I still believe that FortiGate is the best product for the people that we deal with.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution is not to take shortcuts. Shortcuts aren't good. Don't hesitate to use FortiGate's technical support.

Always buy support. Always buy FortiCare. You can buy it for one year, two years, or three years with the initial purchase. We always buy it and sell it to our customers for three years. And the product will last more than three years.

Fortinet competes in the big companies as well. We just don't. Our marketplace is the smaller users two or three, maybe four locations, 150 to 300 endpoints. So we're not dealing in the 10,000s of users trying to get into 100 of servers. We're dealing with tens and fifties and a hundred, trying to get into a few servers.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It could more scalable for the lower end users.

Technical Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Flexibility makes this easy to integrate with other products, especially ACI implementations
    • "The VDOM (Virtual DOM) is a virtualized firewall that has some opportunities for flexibility that are an advantage in certain configurations."
    • "The pricing model makes this product far more expensive than similar solutions."
    • "The implementation could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for integrated cybersecurity.

What is most valuable?

The VDOM (Virtual DOM) is a virtualized firewall that has some opportunities for flexibility that are an advantage in certain configurations. The other valuable part is that this flexibility makes it easy to integrate with Cisco products.

What needs improvement?

The product really has everything that we need as far as features for this type of solution and our use case. It works fine for us. One thing that can be improved is the pricing model. It is currently subscription-based and I think they should probably try to change that.

We have been using FortiO since around 2016. So we have been using it for four years.

We had some issues with the stability of FortiOS, but I do not think it was because of Fortinet. It was because of how the integrator handled the configurations. The partner that implemented it originally did not do it optimally. We ended up having to change the partner in order to have it done correctly.

So far we are satisfied with the technical support. We have not had a lot of need to use them.

We had been using Check Point and we still use it. In fact, we have been working with Check Point more than Fortinet. I may be a bit biased toward Check Point because I already have more implementation support for it than FortiOS.

The difference between the price of the products is also obvious. Pricing is more flexible with Check Point than with Fortinet. Fortinet ends up being more expensive because of the pricing scheme.

The pros and cons of them are not so much different. If it were my choice and we were going to change what we use or choose between the two, then we would move back to using Check Point exclusively.

I think that the setup was a bit complex because we have a complex network. Because of that, we had to do some interoperability testing first and that made the initial setup take longer than it would in another, simpler environment.

The initial setup is one other area that could be simplified.

We used a partner for the implementation. We ended up having to replace them with a different partner because of installation issues. The second partner was able to fix the issues.

The costs for the maintenance and subscription for Fortinet FortiOS software alone is actually half of the cost of the hardware. For example, if your hardware costs were about $40,000, your yearly subscription to FortiOS is about $20,000. That is kind of the drawback to using Fortinet. By comparison, that $60,000 is already three years of maintenance or support with Check Point for the same scale setup. It is a significant cost difference.

What other advice do I have?

I would probably recommend Check Point to most users considering FortiO if they do not have any ACI (Application Centric Infrastructure) implementation or a Cisco ACI. If you could do a workaround on the ACI, then I would probably still recommend Check Point. But if you do not know how to make that type of adjustment or can not and you do not have any partners that need to access your systems, then it is better you go for Fortinet.

Rafael Riera
    Pre-sales Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to configure with an easy initial setup and good scalability
    • "FortiGate as a product is very easy to configure."
    • "Technical support could be better. Some competitors have much more responsive support teams."

What is most valuable?

FortiGate as a product is very easy to configure. There is a lot of data now with switching IDS and IPS. It's a truly complete solution for our customers.

It's a good idea to have the firewall connected to the switches. That way, the firewall is the controller of the switches. We like how the solution is designed with that in mind.

What needs improvement?

The solution's switches are lacking. They need more features added to them to build them out a bit. The switches are very simple if you compare them with other companies like Cisco or Aruba. Those organizations offer their clients much more.

I know the last version had NAC, network access control, added inside the firewall. It's a process, however. There's still work to do. The next version will be better. Right now, you can't authenticate other devices. You only can authenticate Forti devices and not devices from other companies. This could be the next addition to the solution that will make its performance even better.

I've been dealing with the solution for ten years now. It's been a decade.

The solution is stable. We have no issues in that regard. There aren't bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash. It's reliable.

The solution is very scalable. We have a solution from the most basic office setup to a very complex data center. It works well in either scenario. If a company requires scale, this solution can provide it.

I have used technical support in the past. It's good for the most part. However, other companies, from my experience, have better technical support. They might be able to improve this aspect of the solution a little bit.

While it's easy to access them, finding a solution to whatever problems you are dealing with takes a long time. They need to get better at turning around queries faster so clients aren't kept waiting for so long.

The initial setup is very straightforward. I wouldn't describe the process as complex.

Deployment takes one to two hours. Everything happens pretty fast.

The pricing is good. They are especially fair when compared with other companies, like Palo Alto, for example, which can get quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We work with a lot of manufacturers of firewalls. It's normally Fortinet, however, we also work with Cisco, Palo Alto, and Sophos. My company works with Barracuda as well. To be honest, I am not a specialist with Barracuda. I normally don't work with that.

That said, typically, when we work with clients, one of the first solutions we will suggest will be Fortinet. We do normally also recommend Cisco first, as well, due to the fact we are Cisco partners. We're also partners with Fortinet.

We have a deal with Palo Alto and our security center recommends Barracuda because of their other security solutions like WAF or solutions in the cloud (not their firewall).

Normally, we use the on-premise deployment model. At this moment, we are working with a public cloud deployment model as well.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

IT Infrastructure at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Useful UTM features, good interface, and beneficial controls
    • "The interface is good."
    • "There are some features for FortiGate using FortiOS that can only be enabled via a command line. These aren't very advanced features they have been part of FortiOS for quite some time but they still aren't accessible from the graphical user interface. It makes it a little bit harder than it should be for us to manage the solution. That's my main concern with the user interface. Another concern we have is some elements for the user interface, if they're not properly configured, it could lead to hardware and performance degradation."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our customers that we implemented Fortinet FortiOS for we support and manage the FortiGate. Most of them use all the UTM features, such as web features, application control, intrusion prevention, and SSL inspection. We do have some customers who do not use these features. They mostly use IPsec, VPN concentrator, but no security features, we only have two specific cases. Most of our clients prefer to use FortiGate because of all the security features.

What is most valuable?

The interface is good.

What needs improvement?

We have had some cases where the entire hardware is at a lockout. This means the CPU is  100% consumed and requires a reboot because of a malfunction with the graphical user interface dashboard widget. This is something that we saw a few years ago. We haven't had any new experience with this same issue. However, I'm not sure if that's because Fortinet fixed them, or because we have mow avoid using those specific regions.

I have used Fortinet FortiOS within the last 12 months.

Fortinet FortiOS is stable.

I have found Fortinet FortiOS to be scalable.

We have approximately 200 users using this solution.

We have used work with many antivirus solutions, such as Trend Micro, CrowdStrike, and Kaspersky. The antivirus engine could use some improvement when comparing Fortinet with other vendors.

I have been doing the installation of Fortinet FortiOS for five years and I am used to doing them. For someone who is new, I do see some difficulties for them to learn how to do it.

The process could be better.

For approximately 200 employees we have at least two engineers and some junior analysts for the day-to-day operation.

The Fortinet solutions can be a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The most advanced solution Fortinet has is intruder prevention.

My advice to those wanting to implement Fortinet FortiOS is they should do a site survey, but not exactly the site survey. They need to study and scale the environment for which they want to implement the FortiGate solution. FortiGate solutions aren't exactly cheap, but if they undersize the environment and they purchase or implement FortiGate solutions that are not good enough power-wise for the environment that's being used, it could lead to problems. Although it is a stable solution, it is prone to lockouts if it goes above the recommended use cases. Proper sizing of the environment is very important.

I rate Fortinet FortiOS an eight out of ten.

Executive - Data & IP at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very user friendly and easy to configure with a straightforward initial setup
    • "The solution is very user friendly."
    • "Fortinet needs to make this solution even more robust. Sometimes when we get a DDoS attack, the cannot withstand it. We can run out of sessions very easily. That said, I suppose if you want more a robust system, then you could purchase higher-end solutions, which are more expensive. Still, I would like to see more protection from even in the low-end version."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's protecting customers from the internet to have access to servers behind the firewall.

We co-locate customers' servers at our company, and we also give them firewall protection. Mostly, people that co-locate a server don't have any firewall so they ask for the service through us.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user friendly.

The product is very easy to configure, compared to other firewalls that I've worked with.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be improved. It's quite pricey.

In terms of the CLI, if they could make it more intuitive, and more user friendly, it would make the solution better. I like to work on CLI instead of through the GUI. If you are used to it then you wouldn't mind the way it works right now. However, for those that don't, there's just a sizeable learning curve.

I have been dealing with the solution for three and a half or four years.

The solution doesn't really scale. If you want a bigger box, you need to scrap the box you have and trade up to get the larger capacity. You can't just "add" to it per se on existing solutions you've bought. It's hardware, so it doesn't scale well.

We're not looking to increase our usage right now. COVID-19 really slowed us down in a lot of ways.

We have a local supplier that helps us a lot every time we need to open a ticket. So far we haven't had that many issues. The few ones that we have had, we didn't have any problems with opening up tickets and getting support.

The solution is not complex at all. I'd say it's very easy. There's a learning curve, however, once you're used to the device, it's very easy to set up a firewall. It's fairly straightforward.

The solution is too expensive. If they could push down their prices, that would be great. However, I'm not in charge of purchasing. I wouldn't know about the exact costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Fortigate.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Dago Pacheco
    Infrastructure and Services Manager at Universidad Arturo Prat
    Easy to use with a powerful CLI and a nice graphical user interface
    • "The technical support on offer has always been quite good."
    • "The pricing of the product is too high."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet is used for security. FortiOS is the operating system. FortiAnalyzer, for example, can be used on it and it is used for log management, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. It's a solution that has a powerful CLI and a very powerful graphical user interface.

The solution scales well.

In terms of stability, the solution is reliable.

It's not too hard to implement the solution.

Technical support is helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product is too high. They should work to lower it.

I've been using this solution for three years. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is reliable

We have found the product to be scalable. It's not a problem if you want to expand it.

There are 1,000 users on the solution at this time.

While there may be plans to increase usage in the future, I'm not sure if that's the case just yet.

The technical support on offer has always been quite good. We are satisfied with the level of service they provide.

Previously, we were mainly using Cisco firewalls and products.

We enlisted some assistance with the implementation process. The setup was pretty easy. It wasn't overly difficult.

We have three people who are able to maintain the solution. They include me and two team members who are both engineers.

We used an integrator to help us deploy the solution.

The solution is fairly expensive. The cost is around $40,000.

It would be ideal if they offered more licensing options.

We were presented with some other solutions such as Palo Alto and Check Point. We prefer Fortinet due to the features on offer.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user and customer.

We are using a few versions of the solution, some with 6.2, which is not the most updated version, and some others with almost legacy versions such as 5.6.

I would advise users to not stick with the last version if a new release comes out.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We have been largely pleased with its capabilities.

Product Categories
    Firewalls
    Download our free Fortinet FortiOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.