IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Fortinet FortiMail OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiMail is #5 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiMail an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiMail is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Office 365: Fortinet FortiMail vs Microsoft Defender for Office 365. Fortinet FortiMail is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 34% of all views.
Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Fortinet FortiMail?

FortiMail appliances and virtual appliances are proven, powerful email security platforms for any size organization — from small businesses to carriers, service providers, and large enterprises. Purpose-built for the most demanding messaging systems, FortiMail appliances employ Fortinet’s years of experience in protecting networks against spam, malware, and other message-borne threats.

Fortinet FortiMail was previously known as FortiMail.

Fortinet FortiMail Customers

Magromer Cueros y Pieles S.A.

Fortinet FortiMail Video

Archived Fortinet FortiMail Reviews (more than two years old)

Imad Awwad - PeerSpot reviewer
Group IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, multi-platform, easy to setup and troubleshoot
  • "Troubleshooting is very simple because you can see where the email was not delivered and why it would be considered as spam."
  • "An additional feature that could be added is a pop-up screen notifying you that an email has been blocked, without having to double click on it to take you there it could provide you with a summary explaining why it was on hold or why was it spam when you hover over it with your cursor."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for filtering emails, internally and for external emails. We have part with Office 365 and the other is hosted inside. We have monitoring and certain policies regarding emails, both in sending and receiving them.  The deployment Model is on-premises using a virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

This a user-friendly solution. Troubleshooting is very simple because you can see where the email was not delivered and why it would be considered as spam. For the IT team, it is important, because when they are asked by management why their email was not sent or why was this email that was sent to me was considered as spam, they have the details that are needed to explain why.  It is much better than IronPort for Cisco and Websense.  For now, as per our experience with FortiMail in handling a large number of emails and spams as well, in the past three years, we have been protected and saved from any attacks from the outside. This is one of the main reasons we will continue to use FortiMail.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard is small, it doesn't have a huge dashboard that you can rely on, you need another application to work with it, which is why they created FortiAnalyzer. This allows you to dig deeper if you want details. For example, it would tell you from which domain, to what domain, and what are the triggers that have been used to classify this email. These are all extra features, it is not an all in one. Some of the dashboards found in the FortiAnalyzer could be improved. For the basics, the solution covers it.  An additional feature that could be added is a pop-up screen notifying you that an email has been blocked, without having to double click on it to take you there it could provide you with a summary explaining why it was on hold or why was it spam when you hover over it with your cursor.

I have been using this solution for three years.
Fortinet FortiMail
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiMail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is very stable. I don't remember the last time that I had to restart the server. This is the main mail filter, for our entire company. They are different, not of the same email. One for Office 365 and the other is Lotus and other mail services. Not only one service in our system, but it is configured on that one main filter using different platforms, acting as the main suitor for FortiMail. There are approximately five hundred users, with two administrators and three at the help desk. They can do minor duties such as releasing emails, but not going into why were the emails blocked. They help to release emails that are blocked for users, who cannot release them on their own. We do, however, have limited system privileges for the administrators. The administrators maintain the solution. The administrators will search for new firmware, find the new releases, and whether it is beneficial or not needed.

This solution is scalable at the start. You don't have any boundaries for upgrading or downgrading. The Virtual Machine can hold as much as you want, but of course, every Virtual Machine has its capacity. You cannot take the capacity that is needed now, but rather, you have to think forward. For example, maybe now you have twenty emails, but next year we're going to have fifty emails more, and you end up with seventy, so now you reach one hundred. While every Virtual Machine has its limitations, the limitation of every Virtual Machine is large. We do not plan to increase usage.

The technical support was good. They are perfect. The support is open and support is with FortiGate. They always reply and they are always there to support you within an hour, at the maximum.  Everything will be shown in your inbox.  We develop our products, and we do our troubleshooting without relying on the support. If we reach a stage where we can't do anything more, then we contact support. It has been approximately two years since we last contacted them.

Previously we used a different solution. We switched to FortiMail because our old solution was not good, or stable. We used many solutions before, including Sophos Email, and when you have a good experience with a product you will not go back to the old products or switch to other products unless there are big advantages. Emails were not accurate, some emails on the first day were in your inbox and another day, they are quarantined, and then other days they were not being delivered. There were limitations in the configuration and troubleshooting.  We have always had SLAs, but not with the company, it was with the brand. For example, we had support from Cisco and Sophos between one and three years. We directly open cases with them. Two cases were not closed. I had completed my troubleshooting and solved the issue, while they were not able to solve it.  Cisco was too complicated, not user-friendly, and not designed for emails in that complex environment. For an easier environment, they were fine, but, not for a complex environment, with different main servers, and different platforms. Cisco is also more expensive than others. I don't know why, especially now, with technology in the hands of every brand. Cisco is not the one and only, but now, it is the last and only. This is why we are no longer using Cisco. We did have a good experience with Cisco. Everything was tested. I asked the suppliers, the brand owners in the region, to come over to see us. I didn't just go to Fortinet FortiMail directly.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment time varies depending on if you are doing research, or if you are going to post on your site regarding FortiMail. If it is one domain it will take one day, or if it is for ten domains that have to be checked on to see the main flow and to see everything, it can take anywhere from one to three days. We had only one staff member for the deployment of this solution. To have it fully deployed and for fine-tuning, it will need ten working days. At some points, there is mail that you receive and not able to detect them, for example, all of the mail you are getting are spam or are getting quarantined or they are not quarantined, they are just trespassing in, you need approximately ten days. It's similar to machine learning, where you can learn your emails and how they flow.  Simply put, the implementation is one to three days and for fine-tuning, it is ten days.

We used the reseller and the technical people to work with us, but the configurations and the policies are from my recommendation. The resellers are awesome!

The time needed for troubleshooting before was reduced by at least 80%. This allowed us to focus on other applications as well, not only the web filter, email filter, and applications for the firewall.  We have taken away some applications that we used to monitor our network with, as they were offered in FortiGate, so we no longer needed them. Many areas helped us in reduced costs, not only in the administration in these areas, but in replacing other services that we used to buy. For example, If you want to have wireless access points so that people can access on their mobiles, we would have had to purchase a radio-server and an expensive wireless access point which was needed together.  Access points that would cost between sixty and eighty dollars, you can have them with FortiGate on a switch, allowing you to monitor all of these from the FortiGate.  You have all of the security, you can create your policies and you can do all the measurement and shaping and applications of vision monitoring. Everything can be done through FortiGate. These are some of the advantages that FortiGate have over all the others.  It's multi-platform.  As long as you work more on the configuration and you dig deep inside the policies, you can reach huge worlds, and the security layers, not seven, layer eight and nine because intelligence and security are there.  You have all it backs-up with the company. So yes, several things have been changed and replaced.

We are satisfied with the pricing of this solution. Licenses are based on everyone's needs. If you don't need the full bundle that includes everything, you have options for the small or medium enterprise environments.

I was doing both the evaluating and testing.  I had researched the internet for the leaders. I did not go with Gartner as they pay to gain leadership. I went to other sources. I went to reviews, and I opened cases in everyone. I evaluated Barracuda, IronPort Cisco, Sophos, FortiMail and Websense. I evaluated every one of the five brands and it took five months of testing all brands before we made the decision to go with FortiMail. We chose FortiMail because they passed all of the tests. The POC was for one month.

What other advice do I have?

Emails are dangerous to deal with. You need backdoors for all people, You don't have any control over it because you are not the person who's dealing with emails for the employees. Everyone is dealing with their own emails. In order to secure your emails, you need to secure your employees and the emails that are trespassing into your environment. You need to find a solution that not only scans emails, but you also need to have some artificial intelligence for the machine learning for emails. That's what FortiMail is doing.  FortiMail is flexible, straightforward, and easy to troubleshoot. This is key, for  IT, they need to troubleshoot easily, and need to know why and how this was done.  FortiMail is one of the important applications that can provide us what we require, as well as, being able to delegate your troubleshooting and your administration with many players or many, team members in IT. There are some that can do it while others cannot. You should test before you decide to own a product. Don't rely on people saying, that it's the best product I have. You should know what your business is working with. There are no best practices in IT. There is what the business needs in IT. The best practices that are there, are by the books, but the business may require different paths than the books and the best practices they tell you. So, always test. Know why and what you need the services for and don't buy everything, because you will not have time to be working on all of them. If you have things set up straightforwardly, and it is fast to configure, then, yes, these products are good for you. The differences are, the experience and stability of these products, and how far you can go with the policies. This is what I have learned, not only from FortiMail but from all the solutions we're working with. Never put your business and IT aside. They should collaborate and align together. Overall, this is a good and reliable application. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Manager IT at OTE
The reporting and various tools that protect our mail domain are very valuable
  • "I think the spamming feature is very valuable."
  • "Online support sometimes takes up to a week to get back to you."

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented this solution in our VMware environment to host our own mail domain. So when the mails come in, we use the security profile and all the features of the FortiMail very efficiently - all the blacklists, safe lists, block lists, and other securities that are there to change and contain. We use spamming and content filtering and attachment filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides different tools and reporting so now one can prevent malicious spam coming through. You can put that on the blacklist, white list or accordingly. Based on the IP repetition score, there are so many things the developers have improved which weren't available in the earlier versions. there. Now the filtering is really effective to protect any mail environment of any company.

What is most valuable?

I think the spamming feature is very valuable. One of the features of FortiMail is the sandbox. If any suspicious or malicious thing is detected, it uploads to the FortiMail, and then to the database, and then it's checked. Once it's confirmed that the mail is good content, then it's moved inside and forwarded to its destination. So the sandboxing is a really valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

FortiMail is currently available in the appliance mode so I believe the technology can be improved a little. There are a lot of viruses and malicious things out there that can damage your environment. So I think they need to be analytical in their quiet mode implementation so that these things get updated constantly. If anything new is in the market, it should be blocked by the FortiMail immediately.

We've been using Fortinet FortiMail for a year now.

It is a very stable solution. We rarely get any complaint from the users getting spam. Even my own finance head and managing directors are satisfied.

I will not give good marks on their support team. The support is not good at all. If you call in with an emergency thing, they will send you some PDF to read rather than sending it to their technical team. We therefore use our own expertise team who then uses Google to search for a solution. Online support sometimes takes up to a week to get back to you.

We used Trend Micro Gateway and another McAfee gateway, but Fortinet is a good product. We were using McAfee, the email gateway security filtering, anti-spam filtering.

What other advice do I have?

The filtering is really effective to protect any mail environment of any company. I can definitely recommend this solution and my rating is a nine out of ten.

Fortinet FortiMail
July 2022
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anoob Valath - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager Information Technology and Technical at Amadeus Gulf
Continuously updated, good technical support, and good value for the money
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the spam filter."
  • "The only drawback to this solution is that the firmware is frequently updated, and each update results in downtime."

What is our primary use case?

We have the FortiMail appliance, and it is installed on-premises. It provides email filtering for our Exchange 2013 server.

How has it helped my organization?

These days, the threats by email are very high, and this solution provides our security. I would say that eighty percent of threats are known, and there is another twenty percent that is new. New threats are added to the database as they are discovered.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the spam filter.

What needs improvement?

The only drawback to this solution is that the firmware is frequently updated, and each update results in downtime. Because of this, sometimes we skip the firmware updates so that we don't have to work outside of office hours.

The reporting capability could be improved.

It would be helpful to have a tracking feature to help us with investigating where a particular email came from.

We have been using this solution for almost five years.

This is a stable solution.

We don't have a big organization, but it has been flexible enough for us.

We have approximately one hundred email addresses being filtered. We have perhaps seventy-five people, but some have multiple email accounts, and there are additional mailboxes for the business, as well.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward.

We update the firmware on the appliance ourselves, and the latest update was just last week.

This is a good solution and value for the money.

What other advice do I have?

This is a dynamic product that is continuously being improved.

As we are moving to Office 365, we may be moving away from this solution. We may look for a cloud-based solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Network and Communications Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good anti-spam solution that's stable and offers excellent technical support
  • "Technical support is great. They are able to look at their patches and offer quick responses. We even have an account manager in the Middle East. They are very good."
  • "There are features that other solutions have that this one is lacking, such as reporting options. I hope in future releases they advance their features list."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for messaging.

What is most valuable?

We have used the solution as a mandatory tool in our infrastructure. It's kept some of the spam email and stuff like that out. As a security layer, we've have added Fortimail for security as the mail gateway.

What needs improvement?

FortiMail sometimes catches emails and marks them as spam. We sometimes need to contact the vendor regarding some issues. Occasionally, there's a bug that forces an upgrade, and once the upgrade goes through, it's fixed.

There are features that other solutions have that this one is lacking, such as reporting options. I hope in future releases they advance their features list.

The load balance of the LTM and the WAF should be improved. I would like all of the features to be advanced in the future because it offers fewer security features than its competitors. They do support WAF and they do offer WAF and LTM but with fewer features compared with other brands like F5.

We were planning to replace F5 with Fortinet, but security came to us and said there are a lot of features that are not available. At that time, we changed our minds about utilizing the solution because of this.

I've been using the solution for three to five years.

The solution is stable. We had issues around a firewall coming down as we worked towards finalizing an RFP of the license on the appliances. The vendor came directly to us and fixed the issue. They gave us a replacement for free to cover us until we got all of our projects renewed and replaced the firewall.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have more than 1,500 users.

Technical support is great. They are able to look at their patches and offer quick responses. We even have an account manager in the Middle East. They are very good.

The initial setup was handled by a vendor partner. We were just monitoring or administrating the appliances.

We have vendor partners to help us with the implementation of the solution. I wouldn't recommend anyone attempting to implement the solution by themselves.

The pricing is good in comparison to the competition and the quality of the solution is very good.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. We're moving to virtual appliances soon. We are going to the government cloud, but all network appliances will be virtualized beforehand. Once we go on the cloud, everything will be hosted as assets.

I highly recommend the product. The product is easy and there's no complexity. It's easy to use, easy to learn, easy to upgrade, easy to apply any changes. It offers a good price versus quality balance.

I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten.

Elom Kutsienyo - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
An extremely stable and scalable solution with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is for email protection and protection against spam.

What is most valuable?

The anti-spam and anti-virus features are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if we could manage the solution from the cloud so I could handle things off-site if necessary.

The solution is 100% stable.

The solution is very scalable. It can handle a lot of emails. We have about 2000 users here in Ghana.

Technical support is great. They're available 24/7 and their response time is typically within the hour.

I didn't previously use a different solution. My engineers may have used Barracuda in the past.

The initial setup of FortiMail is a little complex, but this is normal because it is a newer solution. It took about three days to deploy it. You only need about two people for deployment and maintenance.

I am an integrator; I handle the implementations myself.

What other advice do I have?

It is one of the best solutions on the market. I would highly recommend them.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Cyber Security Analyst at Sixtema
A stable and reliable way to protect the data of our customers
  • "The solution is very reliable and very stable."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to protect data from our customers and from our internal network. We now have a substitute for the Palo Alto Network and nowadays we also use FortiGate.

What is most valuable?

I like the possibility of getting reports offered by this solution, which is better than what Palo Alto offered. It is a very reliable program and it works great.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like it if there's a possibility to lower the price of the bandwidth and UTM. It is quite expensive.

I have been using Fortinet FortiMail for ten years now.

The solution is very reliable and very stable. It has never been down or unresponsive. It's perfect.

We currently have about 3,000 users on Fortinet, mostly customers. The solution is scalable.

There was no need for us to use technical support so far.

We've also worked on the Palo Alto Network and FortiGate.

There are additional costs to the license fees. The solution is rather expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution to others, and my rating is nine out of ten. It is very reliable and always available. In the future, I would like to see better management of the monitoring dashboard. Perhaps they can add a pie chart or other charts in the report because they are very useful and customers will really appreciate them.

Cyber Security Solutions Manager at Summit Technology Solution
    Actively works to ensure reliable delivery and containment of threats and spam
    • "A full-featured email gateway solution that contains security threats reliably."
    • "Limited ability to upgrade hardware may lead to some performance issues that might otherwise be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not working on the local FortiMail installation and really concentrate on servicing and deploying FortiMail to clients. The primary uses depending on the client are anti-spam and anti-fishing as well as threat isolation.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved our organization by giving us another opportunity to sell a top product to our clients that will do what it was designed to do.

What is most valuable?

Personally, I believe that FortiMail is a very good antispam solution. Clients use this solution as well for anti-spam and anti-phishing.

What needs improvement?

I believe the product needs better integration with FortiSandbox and integration with third-party Sandbox solutions.

What clients would like, I think, is more features on the appliances. Processing power is very important and this is dependent on abilities to upgrade the appliance.

I have been working with the solution for at least almost three, four years.

The clients seem to always like the stability of the product. They always like the way it functions, the support knowledge we provide when necessary and that they really have to do nothing to keep the product functioning.

The product is definitely a scalable solution. For example, we have a customer — a very technical customer who recently expanded operations — and we managed to expand the solution to fit their new needs on request.

It is a very good solution compared to the competition due to the capacity of the appliance and the number or volume of emails it can handle. It is almost independent of the number of users. That's why it has a very good competitive advantage.

We have a good support team to contact at Fortinet if we need them. They are available and reliable.

I believe that the complexity of the initial setup depends on the customer's environment and their need. This can increase or decrease the complexity of deployment. Generally, it takes between 10 to 20 working days to fully deploy. And then we require only occasional support for maintenance, again depending on the case.

We are Fortinet partners and act as consultants while also doing installations and maintenance.

According to clients, there is a return on investment in the cost of ownership and value. That is it ends up costing most clients less than other solutions while providing as much in features and services or more.

There are subscription fees but I don't think there is an additional cost. The pricing is not my area of expertise, but clients seem to suggest the license cost is competitive. It depends on capacity and not the number of users.

My title at our company is Presale Security Solutions Manager for service security. I service presale and consulting for FortiGate and other mail gateway solutions. Fortinet is one of our top products in this sector. I'm often selling different Fortinet solutions like FortiGate, FortiMail, and FortiSandbox as well. Sometimes we will consider other products but this is our main line.

What other advice do I have?

With the Fortinet FortiMail solution, you have a lot of advantages because of the effectiveness of security. You also see a return on investment in the cost of ownership and value. The licensing value — as I hear from clients — is very good, and the capacity of FortiMail is very scalable. You can have a large number of users and pay according to the capacity, not on the number of users so you pay for actual use.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and 10 is the best, I give FortiMail an eight out of ten.

Huthaifa Smadi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Group Senior Network Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    A full-featured email gateway that monitors email intelligently to block, isolate and assess traffic
    • "This excellent email gateway minimizes spam, inspects suspicious emails and isolates infected attachments with little administrative effort."
    • "The product could incorporate even more artificial intelligence to enhance the functionality, but it is a competetive and intelligent product as it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is as a secure email gateway. I just use the blocking feature and spam detection.

How has it helped my organization?

The product minimizes the spam email and inspects suspicious or isolates infected email attachments. It detects phishing emails also because of the sandbox integration (FortiSandbox).

What is most valuable?

One of the features I like the best and find most valuable is the gray list feature. You can mark a trusted domain to reduce interruptions and other domains you are not sure that you can trust you put in a gray list. The mechanism of this feature can greatly decrease the number of spam emails and helps determine which are under more scrutiny, but it is also not a total block. You can put domains as blacklisted which just blocks delivery. This mechanism and level of control are awesome in FortiMail.

What needs improvement?

I think that it is possible to improve the encryption features in FortiMail. I tried to use the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) features which mainly has to do with encrypted traffic. They are using a particular protocol. If you want to use encryption differently you can't exchange the private keys. So you need to use the IDE feature. The drawback is that the IDE feature in FortiMail is very difficult to deploy. It would be good if they made this easier to use.

The main thing that we choose the Fortinet product for is that protects us and because it is mostly very easy to use. Also, the graphic user interface is easy to work with and very clearly maps out what we need to see in administration. The IDE feature in Fortinet is not as good as the rest of the product because it's very difficult to deploy it.

We have been using the solution for over one year.

The stability of this solution is very good. We do not have trouble with downtime or other failures.

The scalability of this product is very good. I mean, there may be a good competition that is better in this way, but I think it's a very strong product.

We are using actually 400 users. These 400 users have full feature access and can use the anti-spam, antivirus, and anti-phishing features. It would not be hard to add more users.

The support from the company is very good when we have to use it — may be to solve an issue more quickly. As an elite partner, we have full privilege in FortiMail support and with the Fortinet tech center. We don't need full privilege for the clients on cloud deployment.

Certain things we can not do. You can't turn off this mode only the tech guys can do that. There are also some features you can't deploy on FortiMail. For example, SNMP or load management. You can't deploy these features by yourself and you need to ask the support center to add this feature.

Before using Fortinet FortiMail, I was using the Symantec product for anti-spam. It was not the full anti-spam product and it was not very good at what I hoped it would do. In the version I had, they give you a partial feature and not a feature limitation. I looked at other alternatives and think FortiMail is a better solution.

The FortiMail deployment takes about two weeks. It depends on what needs to be configured and the size of the system. We only need three admins with one as the super admin and two as partial admins.

Every day we are using the system to monitor the emails. Every day we check our system and the quarantines. You should check the graylist domains. As you know the FortiMail depend on customer behavior. By your behavior or your incoming email's behavior, you can tune and fix policies with your environment. You have to take the time to do it.

I do installations by myself. We are an elite partner with Fortinet and do implementations and most customer support for our clients.

This may not exactly be what you mean by return on investment as far as the survey, but the product is a very good investment for time-saving and functionality. It works and it does its job well. A lot of people invest with this vendor and that shows it is a trusted product.

As far as licensing, we just have to buy the license and then do the renewal which is just like purchasing the first license. There are different choices for subscriptions.

We did also evaluate other solutions. Probably the strongest competition was FireEye Email Security. We didn't choose it because it's a very new product, and they didn't have much experience or recognition in the market. We decide to use a more well-known product to save us the trouble of working with a product that was not as well-tested.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to clients and I really love the way that Fortinet thinks about and executes most of their solutions. They maintain a simple graphic user interface and they give you a good view of your network and good visibility.

I love the design of FortiGate. They know the protocol, how the protocol is being used and they protect the protocol from other mechanisms. FortiMail is an awesome product mechanically.

I think they should have better features in FortiMail to integrate more tightly with Fortinet. It should also have a user awareness mechanism or more artificial intelligence. It is a user environment that should help the user to know how efficiently email is transacting in the system as well as what are the latest forms of phishing, spam and malicious emails. They should definitely involve an AI mechanism in the latest version to be more proactive and intelligently determine solutions without administrative interaction.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate FortiMail as a nine. With artificial intelligence, it could be a ten.

BrianAmenya - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Protects us from spam and phishing attacks and has good technical support
    • "The most valuable aspects of this solution are that it protects us from spam and phishing attacks. We had a lot of attacks coming in and then we deployed this solution and they stopped. We no longer have any spam or phishing issues."
    • "The biggest room for improvement would be the deployment. It will be hard for someone who doesn't understand the interface to deploy. If you understand it, you can find your way around the problems."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case of this solution is our main gateway and main server.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The deployment modules need improvement. They insist that it should be deployed on two different versions which doesn't make sense because ultimately, it's just an IP address. But we tried and maneuvered our way around it. The biggest room for improvement would be the deployment. It will be hard for someone who doesn't understand the interface to deploy. If you understand it, you can find your way around the problems.

They should bundle the analytics in the next release of this solution. Now we need another solution like FortiAnalyzer.

I have been using FortiMail for the past two years.

Stability is great. I would recommend it to anyone.

I haven't really looked at scalability. It fits my environment and my needs. But I do know that the hardware has limits and constraints. Even their smallest box can only support 150 mailboxes which is ridiculous.

Right now, we have around 600 users using this solution. Everybody's email goes through it. We require three admins for maintenance.

We don't have any plans to upgrade it.

When I had a problem, I contacted their technical support and they were good. I love their support. Somebody was having issues with false positives. Some emails were being flagged as spam. Their support was able to resolve the issue within the hour.

We were using Microsoft before this solution but there's a limit to what it could do and we needed more protection.

When I read the online documentation, the setup seemed complex. I have a background with this solution so I deployed it in my own way and it worked. It was pretty straightforward for me. The deployment took me fifteen minutes. If you understand how the server works, it's easy.

I deployed the solution myself.

We have definitely seen ROI. My emails are safer. We don't have any more spam or phishing emails. The users are safe now. I don't have to worry about what emails my team is getting. It makes my life easier.

The annual cost is $55,000. There is only the licensing and support cost but aside for that, there are no additional costs.

I don't remember the name but we used a Linux-based solution. We also didn't want to use a cloud solution so we looked at Fortinet and it seemed easy to deploy so we went with it.

What other advice do I have?

It reduces the stress of keeping your environment safe. Security starts with the individual and it needs to be layered. Mail is the easiest way to hit up a company. Mail security is a must.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Mohamed-Maher - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Administrator at Mashreq Group
    Great anti-spam properties and perfect configuration
    • "The solution is very, very stable."
    • "I would like it if the solution could be more affordable."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for its anti-spam properties. In order to protect our mail server in our data center from spams, we need an anti-spam program.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps me to do internal routing and to configure interfaces. FortiMail works on the profile.

What needs improvement?

I would like it if the solution could be more affordable.

I've been using Fortinet Fortimail for three years now.

The solution is very, very stable. We've had only one problem with FortiMail in the past when our internal hard-disk broke down due to a bad sector on the disk. My colleague contacted FortiMail's technical team, and they replaced it for us. This was bad for us because our systems were down for three days. But up to now, that was our only issue with this solution.

We have about 300 users and we plan to increase our usage by opening new branches and new factories. So I believe the program is scalable.

The technical team was very helpful. Our only issue was that, because we are in Egypt, Fortinet had to use their distributors in Egypt to fix our problem, and that is why it took three days to get the hard disk, install it and reconfigure it. Luckily our last configuration didn't take up much time, only about one hour, thanks to a backup of the last configuration that was available online. But if it has to be shipped from the distributors, it will take three days at least.

My company previously used a software but when using an anti-spam solution as a hardware, it's better than an application, because an application could be corrupted.

My company pays around 28.000 Egyptian Pounds per year for this program. It is rather expensive in my opinion.

We compared it to Sophos, but it is more for users that aren't IT experts. It is so easy that anyone can use it - even my young child can configure Sophos. But for Fortinet, you need an IT expert. This is why we chose Fortinet, and we found that it is a very good solution.

I've also been using Cisco and it's a very good firewall. It's an old program, but it's doing its job for me. I use it for deviant connections and for publishing my internal server to the internet. So the Cisco firewall is also doing its job very well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this program a ten out of ten, because it's configured right. The person who configured it actually knows what the real function of anti-spam is. It protects me from cryptography. I do see some connection delay from time to time, but I believe it is because of the Sandbox check.

Security Team Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Protects us from email spam and phishing attempts, and is a good multi-tenant solution
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are anti-spam, sender reputation, and antivirus."
    • "The web console management interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator, and we have been selling this product to our customers. We have three years of experience with it.

This is primarily used for anti-spam, in front of Microsoft Office 365.

This solution is deployed in a public cloud environment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has protected us from email spam and from phishing.

What is most valuable?

This is a good multi-tenant solution.

What needs improvement?

The web console management interface could be improved.

The documentation can be improved.

The stability of this solution is ok. It is always up.

This solution is very scalable.

The companies using this solution have between one hundred and two hundred people. We do plan to increase our usage of this solution.

Technical support is very competent and quick to answer our questions.

Prior to this solution, we used products from Cisco and Trend Micro. We switched mainly because of the price.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy.

The deployment took between two and three days.

We implement this solution for our clients and deploy it using our in-house team.

Maintenance of this solution is automatic.

We have seen ROI with this solution.

The licensing model for this solution is better because it is based on the box and not the number of users.

I was already familiar with many solutions, so we did not evaluate other options before choosing this one.

What other advice do I have?

This solution contains all of the features that we need.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Infrastructure Engineer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
    FortiMail:Includes features such as: spam detection, inbound and outbound inspection, no per-user or per-mailbox pricing.

What is most valuable?

• Spam detection from FortiGuard Antispam Service and FortiMail antispam techniques; session based and application based.
    • Inbound and outbound inspection
    • Supports multiple domains/subdomains
    • Mail routing
    • Block/safe list based on e-mail addresses, domains or IP addresses
    • DNS black list scan
    • Banned word and dictionary scan
    • Image scanning
    • PDF scanning
    • Suspicious newsletter detection
    • Greylisting
    • Bidirectional email translation using Address Mapping to hide protected domains from the external networks
    • Sender reputation to prevent overload from high volume spams, mails with invalid recipients or infected messages
    • Access delivery and receive rules
    • Content monitor and filtering
    • Recipient-based and IP-based policies
    • User/group query options
    • Mail data migration from existing mail server to FortiMail (Serrver Mode)
    • Resource profiles; disk space quota, user access to address books
    • Built-in agenda
    • NFS and iSCSI support
    • RAID support
    • SMTP authentication via LDAP, RADIUS, POP3, IMAP
    • Per user inspection based on LDAP attributes
    • Mail queue management
    • Easy management using web GUI or CLI
    • Logging and reporting
    • High-Availability with quarantine and mail queue synchronization
    • Fortinet FortiMail is an industry-leading, multi-layered messaging security tool based on price and performance.
    • Scalable solution from SME to the largest ISP and carrier networks, delivers long term investment protection
    • Real-time Update from FortiGuard; signature database updating from FDN
    • Sandbox integration (optional)
    • Flexible and easy deployment in three modes (gateway, server with fully e-mail server features, and transparent).
    • End-to end IBE
    • Advanced bi-directional filtering
    • Multi-layer threat detection and protection
    • Data Leak Prevention, Policy based encryption, Archiving
    • Traffic analysis
    • No per-user or per-mailbox pricing
    • It’s the only messaging security solution on the market that supports transparent mode inspection.

How has it helped my organization?

FortiGate provides inbound scanning for e-mail based threats, but FortiMail provides much deeper analysis and implements a much richer feature set.

I rate technical support 5/5.

We used Exchange Server + FortiGate firewall. FortiMail offers more email security features.

Initial setup is very easy.

No per user or mailbox pricing; industry leading based on price and performance.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Gold Partner
    Download our free Fortinet FortiMail Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022