Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortinet FortiEDR OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiEDR is #18 ranked solution in EDR tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiEDR an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Fortinet FortiEDR is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiClient: Fortinet FortiEDR vs Fortinet FortiClient. Fortinet FortiEDR is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Fortinet FortiEDR?

Fortinet FortiEDR is a real-time endpoint protection, detection, and automated response solution. Its primary purpose is to detect advanced threats to stop breaches and ransomware damage. It is designed to do so in real time, even on an already compromised device, allowing you to respond and remediate incidents automatically so your data can remain protected.

Fortinet FortiEDR Features

Fortinet FortiEDR has many valuable key features, including:

• Easily customizable
  • Real-time proactive risk mitigation & IoT security
  • Pre-infection protection
  • Post-infection protection
  • Track applications and ratings
  • Reduce the attack surface with risk-based proactive policies
  • Achieve analysis of entire log history
  • Optional managed detection and response (MDR) service

Fortinet FortiEDR Benefits

Some of the key benefits of using Fortinet FortiEDR include:

• Protection: Fortinet FortiEDR provides proactive, real-time, automated endpoint protection with the orchestrated incident response across platforms. It stops the breach with real-time postinfection blocking to protect data from exfiltration and ransomware encryption.

• Single unified console: Fortinet FortiEDR has a single unified console with an intuitive interface, which makes management easier. The solution automates mundane endpoint security tasks so your employees don’t need to do it.

• Cost savings: With Fortinet FortiEDR you can eliminate post-breach operational expenses and breach damage costs.

• Flexibility: Fortinet FortiEDR can be deployed on premises or on a secure cloud instance. With Fortinet FortiEDR, endpoints are protected both on- and off-line.

• Scalability: Because Fortinet can be deployed quickly and has a small footprint, it is easy to scale up to protect hundreds of thousand endpoints.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Fortinet FortiEDR users.

An Owner at a security firm says, "The features that I have found most valuable are the ability to customize it and to reduce its size. It lets you run in a very small window in terms of memory and resources on legacy cash registers. The customer has literally about 800 cash registers. That was the use case for Fortinet FortiEDR - to get that down into a tiny space. The only way to do that was to use this product because it had that ability to unbundle services that were a surplus.”

Chandan M., Chief Technical Officer at Provision Technologies LLP, mentions, “The ease of deployment and configuration is valuable. It's very easy compared to other vendors like Sophos. Sophos' configuration is complex. Fortinet is a lot easier to understand. You don't need a lot of admin knowledge to do the configuration.” He also adds, “The security is also very good and the firewall response is good.”

Harpreet S., Information Technology Support Specialist at Chemtrade Logistics, explains, "It notifies us if there's any suspicious file on any PC. If any execution or similar kind of thing is happening, it just alerts us. It doesn't only alert. It also blocks the execution until we allow it. We check whether the execution is legitimate or not, and then approve it or keep it blocked. This gives us a little bit of control over this mechanism. Fortinet FortiEDR is also very straightforward and easy to maintain."

DeAndre V., Senior Network Administrator at a financial services firm, states, “The dashboard is easy to follow and use. The deployment and uninstalling were easy. I like the detailed information about the path of a file that might be suspicious. Being able to check that out was easy to follow. Exceptions are easy to create and the interface is easy to follow with a nice appearance.

Fortinet FortiEDR was previously known as enSilo, FortiEDR.

Fortinet FortiEDR Customers

Financial, Healthcare, Legal, Technology, Enterprise, Manufacturing ...

Fortinet FortiEDR Video

Fortinet FortiEDR Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiEDR pricing:
"There are no issues with the pricing."

Fortinet FortiEDR Reviews

Owner at a security firm with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Very customizable but slow in the cloud environment
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are the ability to customize it and to reduce its size. It lets you run in a very small window in terms of memory and resources on legacy cash registers."
  • "Everything with Fortinet having to do with their cloud services. They need to invest more in their internal infrastructure that they are running in the cloud. One of the things I find with their cloud environment compared to others' is that they go cheap on the equipment. So it causes some performance degradation."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases for Fortinet FortiEDR are cash registers and endpoint, and point of sales.

The reason we originally started with FortiClient with one of our clients in the first place was that they were able to have legacy cash registers, a really old technology, which we had to get to run in a small resource space, and FortiClient, which was the predecessor, allowed us to literally pick and choose what features we wanted in the client and reduce its size, which you couldn't do with any other types of clients that were out there. That's how we started with that.

It is mostly on premise and any cloud services that we use are directly from Fortinet themselves. I would call that public cloud. We do run some of the customer's environment in private cloud, basically co-location. This has provided the services back to their dataset. I am talking about Fortinet's cloud for the public. For the private stuff it was basically out at Q9, which is the co-location provider.

How has it helped my organization?

Fortinet FortiEDR has the ability to customize the footprint of the client or the agents on the device and on the endpoint.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the ability to customize it and to reduce its size. It lets you run in a very small window in terms of memory and resources on legacy cash registers. The customer has literally about 800 cash registers. That was the use case for Fortinet FortiEDR - to get that down into a tiny space. The only way to do that was to use this product because it had that ability to unbundle services that were a surplus.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say everything with Fortinet having to do with their cloud services. They need to invest more in their internal infrastructure that they are running in the cloud. One of the things I find with their cloud environment compared to others' is that they go cheap on the equipment. So it causes some performance degradation.

A classic example of that would be products like FortiMail where you're basically acting as a mail relay. So say you're on a support call and I'm sending you a mail with document that you expect to come to you immediately, or within 30 - 60 seconds, could take up to 45 minutes because of the load on the cloud services. This can result in trouble tickets and other customer side issue.

In the next release I would like to see more investment in their cloud services. Additionally, they definitely need better integration into their FortiSIEM and FortiSOAR solutions.

They should continue to improve that and possibly include a managed threat hunting feature, an MDR solution.

EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike and others in EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response). Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I'm a Fortinet Gold Reseller but primarily we're a consulting company, not a product company. We tend to be agnostic with the one caveat being Fortinet, and only because I was the first guy in Canada to get certified in that, and also the first guy to sell it. There is a personal preference there. But I'm looking deeper into more enterprise security solutions that are SASE and endpoints and EDR, XDR, MDR, all that kind of stuff.

We've done work primarily with FortiGate deployments, but we've also done multiple SD-WAN projects and we've worked with FortiEDR, which is similar to their version of EDR. We've worked with FortiClient before that. As far as FortiCloud goes, we've worked with FortiMail in the cloud, we've worked with FortiManager in the cloud, but we haven't gone into CASB stuff yet.

We also do some Fortinet managed services in our customer base. So I have worked with Fortinet since 2004, 2005.

Fortinet FortiEDR has only been out for a couple of years. We've been working with it for a couple of months, primarily migrating a customer from FortiClient to FortiEDR.

We haven't done full scale deployments of FortiEDR yet, it's still fairly new.

In terms of stability, EDR is a pretty decent solution, but it's not best of breed. One of the challenges with Fortinet, and all of these vendors, is that they are doing acquisitions and doing things to retrofit into their environment, but there's a dependency on legacy or other features that Fortinet has, and Prisma from Palo Alto has. They have their own products, which are how their system is designed. It's really a suite of products. Fortinet is now FortiFabric, with Palo Alto it's Prisma, Prisma Cloud and XSOAR and all that stuff.

All these types of companies are not as flexible. I think in the future, people are not going to be interested in having these huge complex suites of products in order to take advantage of integration.

If you look at a true SASE solution, for example Zscaler, it's a product on its own. And it typically integrates with industry best of breed products first. So Zscaler would work with CrowdStrike or Microsoft Defender before it's going to work with an integrated solution like Palo Alto or Fortinet.

I'm finding more and more that these companies, Palo Alto, Fortinet, Check Point, Juniper, are all doing well right now. But I think in the next year to two, you're going to see a transition away from that type of technology.

It is actually one of Fortinet's big selling points that they're not maintenance heavy and they've got their gang leveraging all the other components. It actually updates itself automatically if you choose. And it has the ability, using FortiManager and other products, where you can push out policies very easily across multiple appliances, although that requires proper design and architecture from the beginning to make sure that you've got cookie cutter configurations across your enterprise.

Scalability is Fortinet's sweet spot, even though they're heavily focused trying to sell into enterprise, their sweet spot is still mid-size, SMB, customers.

Those products work well in an environment which is below 3000 users. It also works well in in terms of large enterprises, like a bank.

I don't see EDR really expanding. Fortinet Firewalls is another story. Firewalls can scale up to very large enterprises, including Telcos, but I don't see the EDR product deployed in those environments.

Their support is getting better.

Right now it is not that good. Fortinet was never big on technical support. I think they went by the theory that if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand. Their technical support is getting better, but if you compare it to Cisco, it's not as good and it never was. It is one of their weak points. Its response time is not bad, but the attitude of the people on the phone is. It's the amount of information they ask for to do an RMA, for example. They can be very challenging to work for. That's an opportunity for managed security providers, because if you confront them, and take it away from the customer, it makes the customer's experience much better. So a bad support center is good for an MSSP.

The initial setup is complex compared to stuff like CrowdStrike or other products where you can just sign up and download and it, and it works.

It's a little bit more complex with FortiEDR because you're dealing with the setup and management of it, whereas in products like CrowdStrike, it's pretty automatic and it's just a question of a radio button to turn on or turn off additional features that you may want.

For example, going EDR to XDR or going EDR to MDR in CrowdStrike, you can do that in Fortinet but you have to implement FortiSOAR and all this other stuff.

Initially the setup took us a while, simply because we had to mess around with the client. We are talking weeks because we had to test and make sure that there were no performance issues and no interruptions in the flow of data, etc...

That took us probably five, six weeks to get up in a POC type environment. Once we got that, it's cookie cutter. You have an image that you deploy that already has that compiled in it, and it works pretty easily.

Fortinet FortiEDR is priced pretty competitively if you compare it to other companies that are in the same boat, like Palo Alto, who have similar product suites. It is reasonable. In the industry, they call Fortinet the Chevy of Perimeter Security and Palo Alto the Cadillac. I think that's undeserved. I think Fortinet is actually, in the long run, a better product, but it has that reputation because of their pricing. Palo Alto, right off the bat, charged a much higher premium, which created the illusion that you're getting a better product. Palo Alto products are brutally expensive.

But that's the way Palo Alto works and it works for them. Although, I've heard rumors that they're changing their channel model where they're going after enterprise customers directly, rather than forcing it through the channel. Fortinet is a 100% channel, Palo Alto is not. And that's affecting them. If you look at stock prices and earnings, Fortinet is actually doing better.

What other advice do I have?

With any of these products, you need to step back and look at where the wave of technology is going in the security posture. I think that you need to step back and say, "Here's my current situation, what's the best solution two to three years from now?" If you look at that, I don't see Fortinet or Palo Alto or any of those traditional product vendors being the future state.

These companies are like system integrators. A lot of system integrators went out of business mostly because they couldn't make the paradigm shift from a product led business to a service led business. I see the same type of thing happening in the traditional Perimeter Security companies, that are not designed from the ground up. They make an acquisition of a product and they try to integrate it into their business model, and to leverage all their other products in a suite. That's not the way the industry is going.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Fortinet FortiEDR somewhere around a six.

It goes back to what I said that I don't think it's got a huge future. If you compare it to CrowdStrike or those type of products, it is very similar to Palo Alto's Cortex, they didn't even come out with an an EDR solution, they went directly to an XDR solution. What is XDR penetration? About 2% of the market right now. It's just not a fit to the future. That's why I give it a six.

Senior Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to use dashboard and interface, and it's easy to create exceptions
  • "Exceptions are easy to create and the interface is easy to follow with a nice appearance."
  • "The SIEM could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We would have used this solution for endpoint detection EDR, which we don't currently have. We wanted to see how it works with the discovery of the history of some things that might come up.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is easy to follow and use.

The deployment and uninstalling were easy.

I like the detailed information about the path of a file that might be suspicious. Being able to check that out was easy to follow.

What needs improvement?

The SIEM could be improved. I would have liked to see that you could access the same SIEM or Fortinet EDR dashboard from the same login, but I heard that they were different, which was a bit of a letdown.

I used this solution for a month to do a PoC.

I was using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. It would fit our organization's needs.

We are currently using Cylance.

The initial setup was straightforward. There were no complexities.

The deployment didn't take long at all. It took more time to create a Cylance install and push-out to the network to do anything. It didn't really take that much time. It was no problem.

There are no issues with the pricing.

We were using a demo for both Fortinet FortiEDR and SentinelOne. We were doing PoC on both to see which one we wanted to use.

We wanted to see the differences between them and Cylance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiEDR an eight out of ten.

EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response)
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RakeshNaganna - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is stable and scalable but limited in the number of details it provides
  • "It is stable and scalable."
  • "The amount of usage, the number of details we get, or the number of options that can be tweaked is limited in comparison to that with other EDR solutions"

What is most valuable?

It is stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

Comparatively, it works fine, but the amount of usage, the number of details we get, or the number of options that can be tweaked is limited in comparison to that with other EDR solutions. The ability to make certain changes or investigate is also limited.

Also, the investigation and the details, which I would get when I'm looking into it, and the ways I could configure or white list or black list a few things are also limited. It is not up to an extent where it can give me granular options to do that.

I've been using it for about a year.

The stability is pretty good.

It is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

For some organizations, FortiEDR is good enough, but for others, it's not. It depends on the organization's infrastructure.

I would rate Fortinet FortiEDR at six on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike, and more!
Updated: September 2022