Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is the #7 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, #7 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools, and #21 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall vs Fortinet FortiGate. Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall?
Forcepoint Stonesoft Next Generation Firewall protects enterprise networks with high-performance "intelligence aware" security supported by real-time updates. This enables Stonesoft to deliver the industry's best defense against advanced evasions, alone with complete next-generation firewall protection when and where you need it - at remote sites, branch offices, data centers, and the network edge.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall was previously known as Forcepoint NGFW, Stonesoft Next Generation Firewall, McAfee Network Security Platform, Intel Security Network Security Platform.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Customers
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Video

Archived Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Reviews (more than two years old)

Head of Infrastructure & Cloud Section at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It comes with functionalities to simplify operations and management
  • "The feature that we like the most about Forcepoint is that we know the technology and have confidence in it. We can have several functionalities to simplify operations and management. We can combine functionalities like log ownership to review the number of devices in the infrastructure."
  • "Its interface is complex when compared with a firewall like FortiGate. Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall needs a management console, whereas FortiGate doesn't need any console. When you have a few devices, a console is not really necessary. It's good to have a private console only when you have a lot of devices."

What is our primary use case?

We give consultancy and propose technology based on the customer's design. We also do long-term deployments. Normally, our solutions are deployed on-premises. We have some key projects where almost everything is deployed on-premises. We also manage the solutions and infrastructures with firewalls, network devices, etc. We have a great experience with different technologies, and Forcepoint is one of them.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we like the most about Forcepoint is that we know the technology and have confidence in it.

We can have several functionalities to simplify operations and management. We can combine functionalities like log ownership to review the number of devices in the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

Its interface is complex when compared with a firewall like FortiGate. Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall needs a management console, whereas FortiGate doesn't need any console. When you have a few devices, a console is not really necessary. It's good to have a private console only when you have a lot of devices.

We began to work with Forcepoint when they got Stonesoft several years ago.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Our projects are not very demanding in terms of performance. Therefore, we don't have any special requirements for scalability. We have some customers for whom we manage this kind of technology, and the scalability or performance is achieved by deploying a greater data appliance.

I might have contacted them for some questions related to managing instances. We sometimes had problems with registering or activating licenses on the manufacturer portal. I haven't opened any ticket personally. My colleagues have contacted them for technical support, that is, for problems that go beyond the basics of the Forcepoint configuration, such as for replacing some faulty components. Their experience was good in general.

I'm not in the technical part right now, but based on what I have learned from my technical colleagues, the initial setup is not very difficult. When you have experience in setting up or working with these technologies, it's not difficult to set up a firewall.

We have certified people to manage this technology. We manage the infrastructure for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

We are managing a customer's infrastructure where we have two pairs of Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall working without any major problem.

I would recommend Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall based on your needs. It's very useful for us to mix several technologies on the same platform to increase its security level. We have experience with Check Point, FortiGate, Palo Alto, and StrongGate (which became McAfee and then Forcepoint). Many times, we combine two or three technologies into the same platform without any problem. However, we did have a horrible experience with Forcepoint in the past. Some of the project deployments were not very great, specifically for applications offering very specific services to users.

I would rate Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall an eight out of ten.

Technical Support Specialist Networks at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Fully-featured and comes with everything required
  • "I don't have anything bad to say about the product. I absolutely love it."
  • "Something that I've noticed that Forcepoint lacks, is the training that they offer to their end-customers"

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are mainly the Management and the Active capabilities.

What needs improvement?

From a managerial point of view, as long as you have proper training, it's very easy to manage this firewall. Something that I've noticed that Forcepoint lacks, is the training that they offer to their customers. It's quite expensive, I believe it costs roughly $11,000. Because of this, we haven't been fully trained in this solution; to get the most out of this product, you need proper training. That is the only negative comment I have surrounding Forcepoint.

Aside from the expensive training, I honestly can't think of another issue. It's a fully-featured firewall that comes with everything required. The version that we are using has a single power supply, whereas we would prefer having dual power supplies on or firewalls.

Our company has been using Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall for roughly two years.

Stability-wise, I have never had any major issues with it. No matter the situation, it has always served its purpose.

Scalability-wise, I cannot comment because we have not increased the number of firewalls or the number of nodes on our existing firewall. Although we have not implemented these changes, I know that it's very easy to increase the number of nodes and bandwidth, which means that it is very scalable, but from an on-premise point of view, we haven't done that.

We've never had a negative experience with customer support. They have always been quickly available. I can't complain, I think they have a pretty good team.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have anything bad to say about the product. I absolutely love it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall
November 2022
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Managing Director at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Good blocking and very stable but needs better network functionality
  • "The blocking, based on the signal provided, is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "The solution needs to build upon its network functionality. It needs to be a bit smarter."

What is our primary use case?

I provide Forcepoint services to my clients.

What is most valuable?

From my perspective, the user interface is decent.

What needs improvement?

Decryption needs improvement. It could be better in terms of the bandwidth and in terms of the speed of the tasks.

Communication with the cloud will be integral to the future of this solution. It needs to be easily deployed with the cloud going forward.

The solution would also benefit from working within a multi-cloud environment. It should work with everything from Google to Azure to Salesforce. They need to have a more complex API to be able to successfully connect with other clouds and stations.

I've been using the solution for about one year now.

The solution is stable. It's reliable. We have no issues there. We don't see any bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't crash.

A company would have absolutely no problem scaling this solution. If a team needs to build it out, they can do so quite easily.

We've contacted technical support in the past. They are decent. They provide enough support services to cover our needs. We are satisfied with the level of service they've provided us so far.

The initial setup is easy to get started and the deployment itself is pretty simple.

The customer's infrastructure can really be diverse, however, and that will affect deployment. There are different complexities involved in the setup from the client's side. That's where complexity can really come in. The infrastructure, routines, and network traffic all vary and bring in their own unique challenges.

Typically, deployment takes about a week to complete.

What other advice do I have?

We're a developing company that works with a lot of legacy suppliers that offer clients security solutions. From my perspective, such legacy supplier companies such as McAfee, Checkpoint, and Forcepoint. We help our clients implement certain solutions.

I would absolutely recommend the solution. When it comes to the ease of deployment of the functionality, I would strongly recommend it. Forcepoint has great security functionality.

However, one downside that is I see is that they need to improve some network functionality. This is very important due to the fact that network functionality is very crucial when it comes to deploying the solution.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten overall.

Lipaz Hessel - PeerSpot reviewer
Country Manager at Gilat Satellite Networks
Good console management, but the interface is not user-friendly and application filtering needs finer granularity
  • "The most valuable feature is the console management."
  • "If I want to allow access to Facebook, yet not allow the user to access videos, then I am not able to do it with this product."

What is our primary use case?

We had planned on using this product as our multi-tenant firewall. After one year, we stopped using it because there was a problem with supporting some of the protocols.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the console management. It is very good and the security was great.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not user-friendly.

We were told that we would receive training but it came late and we had already started to deal with the product, which ultimately caused problems because we did it incorrectly. If the vendor focused more heavily on training as opposed to implementation then it would be a big improvement.

The UTM features are missing.

Application filtering is supported at a high level, but not at a low level. If I want to allow access to Facebook, yet not allow the user to access videos, then I am not able to do it with this product. Essentially, I'm allowed to block but I'm not allowed to limit. With other vendors, I can impose limits.

They need to add support for the Routing Information Protocol, RIP.

There is no support for the Built.io NIC driver.

I had been working with the Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall for about one year.

We had Forcepoint NGFW running on a virtual machine and it was very stable.

From the design that we took, it had the ability to scale up to 250 clients. That was good for what we needed but we failed with the first customer and could not complete the implementation for the second one.

In our environment, we had ten users.

We contacted technical support but it was not the typical support situation where we opened a ticket and they responded. We were in contact with them directly. Because it was irregular, I cannot judge how good or bad the support would normally be.

We are currently using three other vendors including Check Point, Fortinet, and Palo Alto. These have always been there but we were hoping to add Forcepoint as another option.

The initial setup is complicated and difficult to do.

By comparison, we have a very large number of products implemented in our environment and we can deploy most of them ourselves.

The deployment took almost seven months and ultimately, we failed. During our work on the deployment, we had two people handling the maintenance.

We received assistance directly from the vendor. There were several people who took part in the implementation including five from our side, one from the vendor, and two from the distributor. The help that we received from them was awesome.

The distributor knows the product more from a theoretical point of view. When it comes to the hands-on experience, they know the basics. When the person from the vendor came, they knew more about the product but had no experience with the multi-tenant aspect. So, for the part that we needed, they were failing. We spent a lot of time and received help from different people, and it was still a failure in the end. We disposed of the product.

We paid for a subscription license, vendor support, and the training.

We are a large service provider and we are always looking for new solutions. We had evaluated solutions by Sophos and SonicWall, although we decided that we were going to try Forcepoint.

We would not say No to another try with Forcepoint if, for example, they come back to us with a new version in another year. It would have to have documentation to show that what we want to do is now supported.

What other advice do I have?

We tried a few implementations and we did not have very much success because the interface is not user-friendly and the product is complicated. If we had the training on time then it may have been easy but that wasn't the case.

The biggest lesson that I learned from using this solution is that you can't trust what people tell you. When they say that they will take care of things and support it, that is not included.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that the training is completed first, ahead of trying to implement it.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Koroi Anise - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable and easy to deploy, covers both network and systems applications
  • "Forcepoint is a complete package because it has network and systems applications. Other firewalls are only for the network."
  • "They should have a local vendor who can provide support. Most of the support is overseas, so the time zones can be a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a government network, here in Fiji.

What is most valuable?

At the moment we are in a test phase. It's a demo for us. After the trial finishes, we may decide what packages to pay for. We haven't used all the packages.

It's very robust. It's very strong compared to every other firewall I've used.

It can handle a lot.

When we do contact them they are very easy to work with and very helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward because we did it with someone who came to us with the product. It took us a couple of days and then we tested it before we put it in production.

It is expensive.

Forcepoint is easier to use than Fortinet. We are also looking at Cisco ASA. But Fortinet and Cisco don't have all the packages that Forcepoint has. It's not comparing like things.

What other advice do I have?

It's a nice product. I haven't come across anything that needs to be improved. It is very capable, very reliable, and easy to deploy. It covers all your networking needs for a big enterprise network. If you have a small business you should go with FortiGate or Cisco.

Koroi Anise - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enhances security, facilitates file sharing, and has good SD-WAN capabilities
  • "The most valuable feature is SD-WAN."
  • "Forcepoint would be improved if there were more training available."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses for Forcepoint are internet access, filtering, and intruder detection. We also use it for file sharing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is SD-WAN.

What needs improvement?

There is no support available in Fiji, and it would make it easier to have local support and somebody that we can speak with.

The pricing for this solution should be more competitive.

Forcepoint would be improved if there were more training available.

The vendor should make loaner units available for test and evaluation in test environments.

I've been using this solution for three to four months.

This solution is very stable.

With the SD-WAN capabilities, it is very scalable. We have about 6,000 users.

We were previously using a combination of Fortinet and Cisco, but have now upgraded entirely to Forcepoint. Fortinet did not have the same package available as Forcepoint that includes end-point security.

The initial setup is really easy. It is user-friendly and straightforward.

We had assistance from consultants when we deployed Forcepoint.

Forcepoint is very expensive but it's really secure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to consider the company's budget. Forcepoint is a very expensive solution but it is also very secure. For smaller companies, I would recommend Fortinet and Cisco, but if you have the money then you can look at Forcepoint.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Manager at Readytech
Good support for a next-generation security solution

What is our primary use case?

Forcepoint makes up part of our security solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the support.

What needs improvement?

Making this solution easier to use would be an improvement.

The implementation could be made easier.

I have been using the Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall for one year.

Scaling this solution is difficult. We have approximately 100 users.

We are satisfied with technical support.

I also have experience with FortiGate.

The installation and initial setup are difficult.

We had a consultant assist us with the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I like this product and it is one that I recommend.

AhmadAlshami - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Operations Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Characterization features captures a lot of threats and they have great support
  • "The support is great. They also have very good categorization. It's very good. It captures a lot of threats."

What is our primary use case?

We just use this firewall for security in terms of network access.

What is most valuable?

The support is great. They also have very good categorization. It's very good. It captures a lot of threats.

What needs improvement?

The first point to improve is just a matter of updates. We are moving to the cloud, so we want to use virtual licenses on the cloud. We need to move from on-premises to the cloud.

We would love to take another solution from Forcepoint, but unfortunately, the price is too high. That's why we are not considering using Forcepoing for our proxy and DLB. They have a very good DLB, but the matter, in the end, is the cost.

We have been using this solution for over five years.

It is very stable, especially the front end.

Yes, this solution is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I recommended Forcepoint to be implemented.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten. It would be a full ten if it had integration with endpoints.

Sr. Network Engineer at a university with 201-500 employees
    Very user friendly, with a straightforward setup and relatively good stability

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the solution is its most valuable asset. It's very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The solution's support could use improvement.

I'm in the MENA region so most of the time we were getting support from Europe.

They should include a license watch solution on their back-end.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable. We haven't been worried about a lack of stability affecting us in the latest version or in the patches.

The solution isn't scalable. We have about 5,000 users, but they are never on it at the same time. Traffic just passes through.

I'd rate technical support at eight out of ten, but they're response times are suddenly a bit longer because most of them are in Europe and some are in India. It there was someone in MENA it would be much quicker because the time differences affect reaction times.

If you are not familiar with the setup, the initial implementation can be complex. For me, because I'm comfortable with firewalls, it was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution, but it depends on the requirements of the user.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Security Pre-Sales Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Has good performance and security and offers everything in one package
    • "When our customer needs some optimization, along with performance and security. If they want everything in one package, I recommend Forcepoint because they have everything."
    • "The optimization is not really ready. If you want very good optimization, you have to add it to the network."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use Forcepoint like a cluster, which is standby active and passive. They also use it for the perimeter firewall, so it's on-premises.

The primary use case for this solution is when a customer asks for something that does automatic optimization, as well as security at the same time. It also has high performance capabilities, including enabling the SSL decryption feature. I recommend Forcepoint for these customers. If the customer has another solution for deep packet inspection of SSL encrypted traffic, I recommend Palo Alto, because they already have a solution for deep packet inspection for the kind of traffic in the network. From my point of view, at this point they do not need Forcepoint, so I would recommend Palo Alto.

What needs improvement?

They are great in every single area except for the optimization feature. The optimization is not really ready. If you want very good optimization, you have to add it to the network. I think if they make some enhancements in that area, they will replace every other product in no time.

We also need more IPS detection rules.

We've been using this solution for about one year.

I have a very good impression of this stability.

After three or five years, if you want to change the model with a bigger model because of the network expansion, I think they support that. Our clients are huge enterprise businesses.

I've never actually contact technical support because I'm not the person who is responsible for that. I heard that they are okay.

The initial setup is straightforward. The installation is very easy. With full functions, it takes about five days to deploy.

We have a technical team that does deployment for Forcepoint, Palo Alto, etc. We do the  implementations of every security product that we provide. We use two people to deploy Forecpoint NGF: a senior engineer and junior engineer.

I believe the licensing fee is for one year, three years, and five years, or something like that. If you want to increase the support level from a simpler level to platinum, I think that there's a cost. There are differences between every kind of support, but I don't know the numbers.

What other advice do I have?

They just need to make sure that their environment is ready for implementing the firewall. They have to prepare for about two hours of downtime because we need some downtime to do the initial configuration. They need to be prepared for the deployment plan. That's all.

The biggest lesson I learned is that you cannot provide everything in one box. You can provide everything in one box, but you cannot provide everything deeply with the same quality all in one box. You need to give up on something to gain another. I'm always telling the customer, what's your biggest issue? Is it security or performance? Is it task optimization? What is your biggest concern? Based on their answer, I recommend one of the vendors that we work with.

If he said that he does not have any problems with anything, he just wants to get everything, then I provide them with Forcepoint and tell them that they will have some issues in a certain area. If he is okay with that, we go with the product. If he isn't okay and cannot accept that risk or that point, then we go with another vendor.

What I learned from them is that you can provide everything in one box, but you cannot provide everything with the same quality in that box.

They have really good capabilities if you want to use it. So I do recommend them in some cases, when the customer needs some optimization, along with performance and security. If they want everything in one package, I recommend Forcepoint because they have everything. That's why I recommend Forcepoint in that situation.

I would rate the solution as eight out of ten. If they solve the problem of optimization and added those IPS rules, I believe that they would deserve nine of ten. Nothing is perfect, though.

Security Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
    Centralized security management eases configuration to help prevent attacks
    • "The central security management center and the content management center are very good."
    • "This solution would be improved with the inclusion of custom reporting."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is as a perimeter between our internal and external networks. It is a critical security firewall.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The Security management console is fantastic.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved with the inclusion of custom reporting. The pre-prepared reports are ok, but sometimes, perhaps once a month, I would like to create some custom reports.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to have an application proxy. In our previous solution, Sidewinder, we had this capability. For example, if you want to allow SSH traffic then you can set or restrict some features of this protocol, and you can look into the traffic using SSH Insight. Some examples of applications that I would like to see are Oracle and RDP.

We have been using this solution since 2015.

The stability of this solution is absolutely fantastic. There have been no problems since we implemented this solution in 2015. It acts as the edge between our internal and external networks, and we see many attacks from the outside. They have all been blocked. There is no problem with this solution.

Scalability is fantastic. We are using an active-active cluster and there is no problem with adding another node. Currently, we have a two-node cluster, but there is no problem in adding a third node.

This solution protects approximately three hundred users.

The technical support for this solution is great. We have a support contract and we can create a ticket when required. They have solved our problems.

Prior to this solution, we used Sidewinder. That solution was discontinued and we were at the end of support for our hardware.

The initial setup of this solution is not easy. It is an enterprise solution that is very complex and not easy to set up.

When we replaced our previous solution, the process took approximately two days. However, there was a period of analysis after this that took about one month. The analysis involved our current system, our network infrastructure, and our data center.

We have three administrators who maintain this solution. One of them is on-premises and two of them administer remotely. It is not possible to manage the security system using only one person because it is too complicated. It requires a team to discuss problems when they arise, including how they should be solved, or how attacks should be blocked. Cooperation on these matters is necessary.

We involved our security partner for the implementation of this solution because it is very complex. Three people were required for the deployment, including a network specialist, our partner, and myself.

This is not a very expensive solution. The big advantage of this solution is that we can select the right model for our requirements, which is not too expensive. There are many hardware models and different appliances.

We have a license for an unlimited number of users because it is necessary for our solution. If it were not unlimited then we would have a problem. This is probably dependent on the appliance model.

Before choosing this solution we evaluated Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

Forcepoint is my favorite enterprise firewall.

The security management center is the best part of this solution. It is always very simple to see the state of the firewall and to configure it to look for faults. The quality of this component is very high. Previous solutions were not very good with respect to the management center, but now, in this solution, it is very good. This is the main reason that I recommend this solution to others. This feature is absolutely necessary if you want to configure devices to prevent attacks.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

MarkEdward - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Support Engineer at MCS
    Offers real-time logins for traffic logs and troubleshooting is easy
    • "The most valuable feature is controlling the traffic and the logging. They have real-time logins for traffic logs. Troubleshooting was very easy for me."
    • "They should have a GUI on the product itself, not a separate management tool to be used on the management server or on a server to be used to manage the file. It should be all in one device. The device should be controlled through its own GUI. They also have to improve the learning center and the documents as the documents don't really help."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a distribution company. We implement around 2,300 firewalls in Egypt for schools. We use the licenses to manage all these firewalls together and push policies for the firewall. We use it for security to restrict some rules for accessing the internet for students.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They should have a GUI on the product itself, not a separate management tool to be used on the management server or on a server to be used to manage the file. It should be all in one device. The device should be controlled through its own GUI. They also have to improve the learning center and the documents as the documents don't really help.

In the next release, they should improve the documentation.

I have been using Forcepoint for around one year.

The firewall is stable. We haven't had any stability issues.

It is scalable.

Technical support can be better. The support themselves are skilled but when you call for support you have to wait for a long time to get a response. They should improve their call center.

The initial setup was straightforward. It is done on the firewall itself.

What other advice do I have?

I recommended this solution mostly for large enterprises, a project that needs more than 100 firewalls to be managed. They have a very good management tool as security management centers.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

it_user972015 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Excellent for clustering but not a user-friendly solution with very bad GUI
    • "One of the most valuable features is having the ability to cluster multiple firewalls even if they are different versions."
    • "It's a complicated firewall. Until you come to know the firewall inducers, most people don't like the firewall because the components for the firewall are a little bit complex. User-friendliness is a little bit tough. It needs to be user-friendly when creating policies, and pushing policies. Committing takes more time compared to Palo Alto."

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is having the ability to cluster multiple firewalls even if they are different versions.

What needs improvement?

It's a complicated firewall. Until you come to know the firewall inducers, most people don't like the firewall because the components for it are a little bit complex. User-friendliness is a little bit tough. It needs to be more user-friendly when creating policies, and pushing policies. Committing takes more time compared to Palo Alto.

The solution needs to invest in its GUI. The interface is very bad and not user-friendly.

I've been using the solution for three years.

It's a stable firewall. There's no issue on the stability. When it comes to the detection rate of the IP, it is the most powerful solution for detection-ready tests, like evasion techniques etc. Forcepoint is a leader on the market.

The solution is very simple to scale. You just need to keep on adding devices. The firewall can cluster with multiple different models. Scalability-wise, this firewall will be the best firewall for an organization who is operating with a low budget. We typically implement for medium-sized to enterprise-level organizations.

Technical support is okay. It takes too long to get a response because the support comes directly from the Netherlands, and they may have very limited employees. The engineers are quite technical, but the response is very slow.

The initial setup is complex.

We are an integrator that helps with the installation.

The initial installation needs a high level of knowledge because it's not like other firewalls where you have one single appliance. You need to have a separate machine to manage the firewall. The firewall is just a dummy device and all the configurations are done on a Windows machine. Sometimes, in the case of the unavailability of a Windows machine, you cannot do much with the firewall.

What other advice do I have?

What others need to know is that they need to have a clear idea of why they're going for this particular firewall. They need to know if are they looking for clustering or if are they looking for link load balancing. If they're not going for clustering, I would suggest they go with the most moderate firewalls like Palo Alto or Fortinet.

A certain type of attack, such as evasion techniques, isn't something that other firewalls really protect against. According to NSS Labs, Forcepoint firewall has been on top for the last consecutive four or so years because of the detection rate of evasion techniques that other firewalls failed to detect.

The clustering of our ISP links is a nice feature that other firewalls also should have. It is a helpful feature, but it is not a user-friendly solution as a whole.

I would rate the solution five out of ten. User-friendliness is the most important reason I've rated it so low. After Cisco firewalls, no next-gen firewalls have come to the market. So if they want to compete with these firewalls, they need to enhance the overall user-friendliness of the solution.

Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Top feature is the integrated multi-layer filtering​​. The GUI could use a revamp.

Valuable Features:

Integrated multi-layer filtering

Improvements to My Organization:

McAfee NSP helps the organization by filtering most of the active inbound attacks that would otherwise compromise the users and servers. It's automated and fast response allow the organization to leave it as it is and apply automated updates to its signature.

Room for Improvement:

Intel could ditch the Java-based GUI rendering and could use some serious revamp on the way they manage their GUI. A lot of bugs happen on their GUI but their system is working fine.

Download our free Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022