Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is the #7 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, #7 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools, and #20 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall vs Fortinet FortiGate. Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall?
Forcepoint Stonesoft Next Generation Firewall protects enterprise networks with high-performance "intelligence aware" security supported by real-time updates. This enables Stonesoft to deliver the industry's best defense against advanced evasions, alone with complete next-generation firewall protection when and where you need it - at remote sites, branch offices, data centers, and the network edge.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall was previously known as Forcepoint NGFW, Stonesoft Next Generation Firewall, McAfee Network Security Platform, Intel Security Network Security Platform.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Customers
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Video

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall pricing:
  • "Everything in Forcepoint comes with an individual license, which is kind of a problem. In our last meeting, they said that it may change at the beginning of 2021, and they will try to merge some licenses together. Customers will get more features than what they got previously. We will wait and see."
  • "We have just a subscription for the cloud, and this license is great. The license is so good."
  • "I consider Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall's price to be good."
  • Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Reviews

Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    A good and simple solution, but becomes unstable when more features, like auto-scaling are introduced
    • "We like the scalability of Forcepoint because with the Forcepoint NGFW solution, we can scale anything. The solution has central management, so we can manage all the branches and devices centrally in one controller."
    • "When it comes to a complex deployment, the rules, firewall features, SD-WAN core features, and auto-scaling can cause the device to be not quite stable."

What is our primary use case?

Forcepoint is a next-generation firewall, we are using it as a firewall for one of our customers, which includes one data center and 95 branches. Using the SD-WAN feature on Forcepoint NGFW, we provide a secure connection from all the branches to the data center.

What is most valuable?

We like the scalability of Forcepoint because, with the Forcepoint NGFW solution, we can scale anything. The solution has central management, so we can manage all the branches and devices centrally in one controller. This also allows the customer to manage the solution centrally.

Forcepoint comes with the SD-WAN feature, which connects all the branches and devices to the data center with a central connection. We bypass using a VPN or IPsec or anything like that because Forcepoint can do it automatically. Also, one of the controller benefits is that it can monitor the tech, meaning all the devices that are managed by Forcepoint.

What needs improvement?

I think some of the customers who already use Forcepoint will benefit from using SD-WAN because it has features like auto-scaling, but I think the auto-scaling needs improvement since only Forcepoint NGFW comes with the SD-WAN solution. Plus, auto-scaling is an important tool and it still may not be good enough for some customers, so I think there is room for more improvement in the auto-scaling feature in SD-WAN.

We have also gotten a slow response from technical support when we experienced hiccups, errors, and bugs. I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the support capabilities.

My company has been using the solution for about one year.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

For a simple deployment with simple requirements, like firewall blocking and connecting to the LAN or data center, the stability of the device is quite good. However, when it comes to a complex deployment, the rules, firewall features, SD-WAN core features, and auto-scaling can cause the device to be not quite stable.

We like the scalability of Forcepoint because with the Forcepoint NGFW solution, we can scale anything. However, I think there is room for more improvement in the auto-scaling feature in SD-WAN.

I think their support capabilities have a lot of room for improvement because my company has had several issues. Of course, other products have issues too, but they have good support that helps us deliver a solution to the customer. With Forcepoint, however, the technical support is slow and I think the support team needs to be improved.

The installation is quite simple, but when it comes to configuration we need to know why the customer is implementing the solution. Firewalling or connecting other branches is a simple configuration but with something like auto-scaling or antivirus, Forcepoint needs to be more straightforward.

I think we deployed a data center in a half-day, so you can deploy the controller or the data center in about a day. The time it takes to activate and configure each branch varies, and may range from 15-40 minutes. Once we activate the solution and set it up for the customer, they connect it to the internet with our password and can begin working. Overall, I think one week is more than enough time for a thorough deployment.

There are some options for licensing. I think usually the licenses are valid for three years, but in my country we only have the option of a one-year license. The license is gauged on the requirements and the controller. There is a basic license and an advanced license, which offers more protection for antiviruses, like web category filtering.

What other advice do I have?

I think Forcepoint is a good simple solution for firewalling. Because of the instability we faced within our project, which I think can be common with Forcepoint, I would only recommend this solution for a retail business with minimal, non-complex requirements. If you need more SD-WAN features, like auto-scaling, I don't think I would recommend Forcepoint.

I would rate this solution as a five out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    A stable solution that has improved a lot
    • "It is a stable solution, and there are no issues so far."
    • "Its management center should be easier to use. The management interface of Forcepoint is unique and a little bit different from some of the firewall solutions on which people might have worked before. Sometimes, the customers say that it is not very friendly, and we help them with how to use this management interface. It just takes a little bit of time, and after some time, it gets easy to manage or use. It is quite similar to Palo Alto, Fortinet, and legacy Juniper solutions. Their support should be faster. We have received complaints that they are not responding fast, which is not good for the vendor and us."

What is our primary use case?

We are a platinum partner of Forcepoint. We work on most of the Forcepoint portfolio, such as web security, event security, and DLP at the endpoint level as well as at the laptop level.

This solution can be used for different use cases. You can deploy it as an IPS near the data center zone. You can also put it in-line, which is recommended most of the time not only for Forcepoint but also for many other next-generation firewall vendors. Otherwise, you need to deploy it as a normal next-generation firewall and enable some specific IPS policies on the firewall itself. One of our customers needed encryption between remote sites.

We have a professional services team that handles the implementation of these solutions. We install the latest version of this solution. Most of the customers ask for an on-premises deployment. There are some customers who ask for a private cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

It is a stable solution, and there are no issues so far.

What needs improvement?

Its management center should be easier to use. The management interface of Forcepoint is unique and a little bit different from some of the firewall solutions on which people might have worked before. Sometimes, the customers say that it is not very friendly, and we help them with how to use this management interface. It just takes a little bit of time, and after some time, it gets easy to manage or use. It is quite similar to Palo Alto, Fortinet, and legacy Juniper solutions.

Their support should be faster. We have received complaints that they are not responding fast, which is not good for the vendor and us.

I have been working with this solution for almost five years.

It is stable.

We have around 50 users of this solution in our company.

Their technical support is not bad, but it is also not good at the same time. It should be faster, especially for the RMA. We understand the situation related to the pandemic, but their response wasn't good even prior to that. I believe it is something related to logistics.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. It is neither straightforward nor complex. If you want to implement a new firewall, you need to connect it to something called SMC or security management center, which is the main thing. It is the brain of the firewall, and without that, you cannot manage the firewalls. There are certain steps that need to be done on the SMC to do the configuration of the firewall.

We are not a big company. We have two post-sales people who provide professional service. We have two to three pre-sales people as well as technicians.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution in general. We have collected a lot of feedback from customers related to the management, which we will forward to Forcepoint, and then after some time, they will take action on that.

They have improved a lot since they were acquired from McAfee. Earlier, if you wanted to access SMC, you needed remote desktop access to the server or you had to install a small software from the SMC as a client to control the firewall. Customers used to ask us about why they cannot access the firewall management by UI or browser when most of the other firewalls already have such access. We received a lot of such feedback from customers, and when we escalated this to Forcepoint, they took a serious note of it. After some time, they released that option. You can now access the management center through UI, which is a good improvement.

I would rate Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall an eight out of ten.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Associate Consultant at SoftwareONE
    Reseller
    Good URL filtering with helpful technical support and good scalability
    • "Technical support has been quite helpful in the past."
    • "The company should update the URL filtering database. They need to enhance the URL filtering and make it easier to customize."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide the solution to our customers.

I don't create the use cases. I just deploy as required.

Largely, the solution is used for protection. It can be used for various purposes, including URL filtering, spam filtering, and VPN.

What is most valuable?

The URL filtering is the most valuable aspect of the product. I've used the VPN for that. It's of great value to the customer.

The solution is stable.

The product can scale well.

Technical support has been quite helpful in the past.

What needs improvement?

The company should work to improve its VPN capabilities.

For the most part, there aren't really any features or services that are missing.

The implementation may be a bit more complex for a person who doesn't have much experience with the process.

The company should update the URL filtering database. They need to enhance the URL filtering and make it easier to customize.

I've been dealing with the solution for the past two years or so.

The solution is mostly stable. We've just had a little configuration issue around the access and net policy. However, beyond that, it's been pretty reliable.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to scale, it can do so with ease.

Lately, I have not needed their services, however, I have contacted them in the past. I find them to be very helpful and responsive. They have a good support team. We are quite satisfied with them.

I also work with Palo Alto and Check Point.

You cannot say this is a simple product. Comparatively, to other products, such as Fortinet's Firewall, it's much more complex. It has an Azure Server client-server architecture. You need to install the entire management server separately and you need the client's GUI to manage the console.

Deployment takes a while. It may be ten to 15 days for a medium-sized organization. I've mostly installed this in mid-sized companies.

There is some maintenance required. Often, we offer a monthly health checkup to our clients and we would provide maintenance services.

I handle the installation for clients. I understand the process and can do everything for them.

This is an expensive product compared to Fortinet, however, it is cheaper than Palo Alto. That said, I can't speak to exact pricing. A different team manages the sales and licensing aspects.

You can compare this solution to a few other vendors. For example, most of the features available in this product are also available in other products as well. If you're talking about Check Point NG and Palo Alto, Forcepoint is very similar. Palo Alto and Fortinet use a single appliance. However, Check Point and the Forcepoint have a  server-client with the architecture actually. We need to install the GUI from that. And a management server and engine we'll install separately too.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with Forcepoint. We are resellers of the solution.

We have clients that have the solution, and therefore we tend to deal with different versions of the solution. It might not always be the latest.

I would recommend the solution. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Managing Director at FORESEC
    Reseller
    Stable, scalable, and great support
    • "It is stable and scalable. In addition, their support is great. When you ask them for something, they provide support, and if required, they also involve the R&D team to help you to resolve the issues in your configuration."
    • "They need to increase the local support here. There are also some bugs or fixes on which they need to work. They very well know about these bugs. In terms of licensing, I would like them to either increase the number of features in a single license or make licensing more flexible."

What is most valuable?

It is stable and scalable. In addition, their support is great. When you ask them for something, they provide support, and if required, they also involve the R&D team to help you to resolve the issues in your configuration.

What needs improvement?

They need to increase the local support here. There are also some bugs or fixes on which they need to work. They very well know about these bugs.

In terms of licensing, I would like them to either increase the number of features in a single license or make licensing more flexible.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have many customers, and some of them have from 500 to 1,000 users.

Their support is great.

Its initial setup is easy, but it also depends on the size of the implementation.

The implementation of email security and web security is also easy, but the implementation of DLP is very complicated and can take six to eight months. You can install the software in an hour, but there are a lot of configuration changes, and some critical information must be gathered from the customer for implementation and configuration, which takes time.

The number of people required to deploy and implement this solution varies. We have four or five technical staff members who can do the implementation. We have the same number of people for its support after the implementation. From the customer side, a local team is required to work with and manage this solution.

Everything in Forcepoint comes with an individual license, which is kind of a problem. In our last meeting, they said that it may change at the beginning of 2021, and they will try to merge some licenses together. Customers will get more features than what they got previously. We will wait and see.

What other advice do I have?

Forcepoint is a very big company with a very good product line. It fulfills most of the needs of the customers, especially enterprise customers in the financial sector. I use Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall as well as the DLP, web, and email solutions from Forcepoint. No other solution can compete with Forcepoint's DLP solution. We are going to keep using Forcepoint products. Some of our customers are only interested in Forcepoint.

I would rate Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall a nine out of ten.

PS & Technical Manager at a integrator with 11-50 employees
    Configuration is complex, and the interface is outdated, but it's relatively stable
    • "Forcepoint's stability is satisfactory, for the most part."
    • "Configuration is not easy because it has an old-fashioned interface. The configuration interface is highly complex, and it's been the same for years. They have to change the interface."

What is our primary use case?

Many of our clients have a two-stage firewall. They use one vendor in the data center and another on-prem, so we have to choose between Forcepoint or Cisco. There are choices, but many of our clients have Forcepoint.

What needs improvement?

The structure of the configuration interface isn't like Palo Alto or FortiGate where you can do everything from a single screen. With Forcepoint, you have to import or assign rules because it's working with SMC, the central firewall management. Also, you cannot communicate directly with the product. You have to communicate with the product through the management interface.

The dashboard also should be updated.

I'm the PS manager, and our team is working with many products, including an email gateway and Forcepoint Next-Generation Firewall. We've been using it for more than four years.

Forcepoint's stability is satisfactory, for the most part, but when you have a log increase, you will face issues. If the hard disk is full of logs, it won't accept any configuration.

If you want help from the support desk, you have to contact tech support and ask them to access the product to go through more troubleshooting. It's the same with web, email, and DLP.

We use multiple firewall solutions, including Cisco, Palo Alto, and FortiGate.

Setting up Forcepoint is okay, but you have to import the device and establish tunnel communication between the device and the SMC or the central management team. Deployment takes about five days from beginning to final confirmation, and we have a team of about six people for managing Forcepoint. According to the policy, you have to do things according to the number of clients behind the firewall. It's not straightforward, and it depends on the number of parameters or assets as well as the configuration the customer requires.

The license is based on the number of clients behind the web gateway. If you increase the number of agents, the license will cost more.

Mustafa Adel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Solutions Architect at Infort
    A next-generation firewall solution with a useful IPS feature
    • "I like the IPS. IPS is the master feature. I depend on the firewall and sandbox."
    • "Management could be better. They can improve the management. I think all our customers can't accept firewalls that have standalone management. So, they prefer Fortinet or Palo Alto. But overall, inspection and other features are working fine."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SD-WAN, IPS, VPN, and subscription keys on the cloud or have an MDM on-premises.

What is most valuable?

I like the IPS. IPS is the master feature. I depend on the firewall and sandbox.

What needs improvement?

Management could be better. They can improve the management. I think all our customers can't accept firewalls that have standalone management. So, they prefer Fortinet or Palo Alto. But overall, inspection and other features are working fine.

I have been working with Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall for four years.

With Forcepoint, we can cluster as a team firewall, and we can do great without downtime. Our sales team can sell Forcepoint because of this feature.

I would give technical support an eight out of ten. We had an issue with them because we had only support level one for each case we opened. We want them to improve their technical support because I still have three cases open from this year. From January until now, technical support didn't solve it. I feel like it's an easy case like the client's VPN and user ID, and it shouldn't take around five months.

The initial configuration is straightforward, and we can use it with the cloud. But sometimes, there are network issues we can't see when we're using the ethernet cable. I think you need an engineer with some experience before implementing the first implementation by yourself.

The time it takes to deploy this solution depends on the features I have to implement or configure. Normally, it takes five or six working days, but it might take another week if I have issues with the VPN or user IDs.

We are an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall an eight.

Affords us better centralized management over its competitors with simplicity and flexibility of use
    • "Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is very simple, easy to use, and flexible."
    • "We feel the product's technical support could be better, as this relates to the solution itself, to the installation of the product, and to having a proper understanding of the case."

What is most valuable?

It is very simple, easy to use, and flexible. It is a top solution with a complete feature set. Its most valuable feature involves its environment.

What needs improvement?

A pain point worth mentioning is the need of the customer or client to properly know the environment as it relates to the presentation of Forcepoint and to have a better knowledge of the product's implementation.

We have been using Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall for six years.

It's very stable product.

We feel Forcepoint's scalability to be pretty easy and good. It works very well.

The initial setup of Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall is not terribly complex. We are talking about three months at the intermediate level.

While the deployment of a single firewall depends on the environment, this took us between two to five days.

We employ more than 16 people on our staff for the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall has a good price.

In addition to Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall, we evaluated the concurrency of Palo Alto's features. We feel that Forcepoint affords better centralized management than its competitors.

What other advice do I have?

Our company makes use of every current version of Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall.

Our clients who use Forcepoint run the gamut from small, medium to large businesses.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Good filtering and application control with helpful sandboxing capabilities
    • "I found the initial setup process to be very simple and straightforward."
    • "You do need knowledge of the solution in order to set the product up properly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as a next-generation firewall.

What is most valuable?

The application control is great.

The solution offers very good filtering.

There's a sandbox that we can leverage.

We have resources of XD1 to properly manage the solution. The security management center is one of the best parts of the product.

I found the initial setup process to be very simple and straightforward.

Technical support is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The capacity for reading the users in a domain and the capacity to integrate the solution with the active directory or any kind of directory services need improvement.

You do need knowledge of the solution in order to set the product up properly.

I've used the solution for a very long time. I've used Forcepoint for ten years or more.

The number of users depends on the customer environment. Typically, there are up to 5,000 users.

At the moment, there are no plans to increase usage.

I've found the technical support to be helpful and responsive. They are good overall.

I've worked with next-generation firewalls for ten years, so for me, the initial setup was simple. That said, analysts that have never worked with Forcepoint, will face a more complex setup process.

Licensing costs are paid annually. You pay standard licensing costs. There are no extra costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

We are Forcepoint partners.

I deployed the latest version of the solution about a month ago.

For those that plan to implement this solution, I'd advise them to know their environment very well first in order to successfully implement the firewall.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Download our free Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022