Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ExtremeRouting OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ExtremeRouting?
Avaya Enterprise Routers Ethernet Routing Switch 4000 Series is a Stackable Chassis system providing high-performance, convergence-ready and resilient Ethernet switching connectivity. Available as a range of models supporting 10/100/1000 switching and routing, Power-overEthernet, Powerover-Ethernet+ and 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink options, the Ethernet Routing Switch 4000 Series is ideally suited for mainstream Wiring Closet and other network Edge deployments.

ExtremeRouting was previously known as Avaya Enterprise Routers.

ExtremeRouting Customers
Breakthrough Urban Ministries, Black Oak Casino, Glamorgan County Cricket Club, University of San Carlos, Holland Hall School, South Euclid Lyndhurst Schools, Prairie View Networking Academy, City of Troy, Ryerson University, Linamar, City of Redondo Beach, York Region District School Board

ExtremeRouting Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ExtremeRouting pricing:
"We have no issues with the price."

ExtremeRouting Reviews

Sachin Vinay - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
A budget-friendly solution providing internal and external routing
  • "Provides a good redundancy technique."
  • "Some of the latest protocols are unavailable."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is extreme routing. We have about ten to 12 buildings, so this product provides internal and external routing through the ExtremeRouting mechanism. Additionally, we have routing protocols, like OSPF, and RIP.

What is most valuable?

We have found the extreme stacking feature very valuable. It is stable, and we use it often in our processes as it provides a good redundancy technique. Additionally, the product offers a good maximum value for its attributes.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by including the latest protocols to match the other vendor standards because some of the latest protocols are unavailable. So when we mix this device with other companies and vendors like 48 or Cisco, we have issues because ExtremeRouting uses more of these proprietary protocols. Hence, they can improve by adding the latest protocols to the data.

We have been using this solution for eight years and it is deployed on-premises.

Routers
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Extreme, MikroTik, Huawei and others in Routers. Updated: September 2022.
634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, and there are currently four people using this solution in the organization. However, we intend to increase the usage of this solution eventually.

We have not had a very good experience with customer service and support. We have experienced issues with technical support, which is time-consuming. We don't get the required input we need from the support team. I rate to support a six out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

We previously did not use any other solutions.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The solution was deployed in-house and took approximately one week.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on licensing costs at this time.

We evaluated Cisco routers. We primarily compared Cisco with ExtremeRouting and chose ExtremeRouting because it was more user-friendly and budget-friendly. Compared to Cisco, ExtremeRouting is cheap and has an easy configuration process.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good but can be improved by including advanced protocols.

Engineering infrastructure manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to scale, stable, and comparable pricing but it needs to evolve and be more modern

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in the bank. We will migrate the solution that we currently have on-premises to a SaaS solution.

What needs improvement?

We are concerned with how the solution will evolve to the next generation of Contact Center.

It's not evolving as quickly as we would like it to. We want to move to the next generation by the next quarter, but they are not ready yet.

I have been using ExtremeRouting for 20 years.

We have no issues with the stability of ExtremeRouting. It is very stable.

ExtremeRouting scales easily.

Technical support is very good, especially when you compare it to other vendors we have here.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy to set up.

The pricing is comparable with other solutions. We have no issues with the price.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently moving our workload from on-premises to Cloud.

Because they are moving to the next generation, I would rate ExtremeRouting a seven out of ten.