Datto Cloud Continuity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Datto Cloud Continuity is the #10 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software and #16 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools. PeerSpot users give Datto Cloud Continuity an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Datto Cloud Continuity is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Datto Cloud Continuity vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Datto Cloud Continuity is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 41% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Cloud Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Datto Cloud Continuity?

Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs is much more than just cloud backup. MSPs can protect clients’ Windows-based computers from downtime and data loss and more importantly, rapidly recover data if disaster strikes.

Datto Cloud Continuity was previously known as Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs.

Datto Cloud Continuity Video

Datto Cloud Continuity Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Datto Cloud Continuity pricing:
"As the company grew from business continuity—or what used to be called business BCDR—they brought on services. Certain services, such as SaaS protection, were a value-add, but you would expect to pay for them. They are not going to be free. It is just the life that you live when you're evaluating software vendors, partners, etc. There is going to be some form of a base offering, and then there are going to be different tiers that you need to get up to a better level."

Datto Cloud Continuity Reviews

Unemployed - previously IT Account Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Very responsive support, extremely easy escalation process, and easy to use and recover a file
  • "The recovery time objective and recovery point objective were most valuable. It was easy to use, and it was easy to recover a file. I was the head of sales and a product evaluator for an MSSP, so I never had to deal with recovery from ransomware. However, I was confident that if ransomware had occurred, I would only lose a maximum of 59 minutes of data. The files were encrypted."
  • "At the time I was using it, I would've focused more on signatures of malicious software in the cloud. I love Datto, and I know they're on the right path, but I probably would've focused more on the operating system update management. When you go from the desk to the cloud or from the server room to the cloud, everything changes. Everything is different. You're not in control of your servers anymore. It is from the Active Directory management perspective and not from the perspective of zero-day attacks or other similar things. At the time, more focus on zero-day attacks and business email compromise (BEC) would've been a better protection factor than just educating about how many of these attacks have occurred."

What is our primary use case?

I used it in my previous company. I was heading up sales and doing research into new solutions for a team of four on-the-ground people. We leveraged ConnectWise as our network operation center, security operation center, and help desk. We wanted to stop people from experiencing ransomware. We wanted to protect them.

What is most valuable?

The recovery time objective and recovery point objective were most valuable. It was easy to use, and it was easy to recover a file. I was the head of sales and a product evaluator for an MSSP, so I never had to deal with recovery from ransomware. However, I was confident that if ransomware had occurred, I would only lose a maximum of 59 minutes of data. The files were encrypted.

Their support was exceptional. They were always very responsive, and the escalation process was extremely easy.

What needs improvement?

It is being improved daily, but of course, there is always room for improvement because cybersecurity changes all the time in terms of the attack factors from the different cybercriminals. At the time I was using it, I would've focused more on signatures of malicious software in the cloud. I love Datto, and I know they're on the right path, but I probably would've focused more on the operating system update management. When you go from the desk to the cloud or from the server room to the cloud, everything changes. Everything is different. You're not in control of your servers anymore. It is from the Active Directory management perspective and not from the perspective of zero-day attacks or other similar things. At the time, more focus on zero-day attacks and business email compromise (BEC) would've been a better protection factor than just educating about how many of these attacks have occurred. Cybersecurity runs deep and long. There are a lot of different facets. There is a lot of hype about a specific zero-day attack or a specific vulnerability, such as whether it is a Microsoft operating system attack, or it is an Oracle attack, or it is a takeover of your update server. You hear all that stuff with the big breaches. At the smaller level, it's basically ignorance. So, you need a better understanding of what steps an MSP or MSSP can take to protect their clients as compared to just giving them a warning.

I don't want any additional features, but I want to keep the same security-minded management and product development team in place. Datto has now become a public company. Things change when you're a public company. There are multi-levels of management, but the company was never managed that way. It was managed as a private company—a very successful private company. So, the intricacies of being public should never get in the way of the original vision of the company to be an MSP-only company providing MSPs-only solutions. I believe that there is a community of about 300,000 people who do business with Datto, and they would agree with me.

I have been using this solution for about eight years.

Cloud Backup
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about datto, Veeam Software, Acronis and others in Cloud Backup. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate them a five out of five. They were always very responsive, and the escalation process was extremely easy. If you're dealing with a vendor who has a responsibility to care for your customer's data, understanding the escalation process is imperative. For example, if I'm dealing with IBM for protecting my clients, it is a bit of a tangled web to get to a proper escalation process. Every second is another conceivable $1,000 for a company in stress or peril, whatever you want to call it. There could be some catastrophic failure of a backup. A lot of times it is simple stuff where somebody upgraded an operating system without permission from the security operations center. So, the ability to escalate and have people who understand what's going on to resolve that issue is imperative. I was working with an MSSP that did $190,000 a month. So, choosing a partner is imperative to understand not only what that partner's solution is, but also the following:

• Where is the value when something goes wrong?
  • Where is the response?
  • How does the escalation process work?
  • What do I do if there is a problem with the service you're providing me?

Being a partner-only company and selling to a partner-only company, Austin and the other original members of Datto clearly understood that the escalation process needs to happen rapidly and effectively. I would also lend that to their account management side. It was easy for me to escalate up three levels if I ever needed to. I didn't really need to, but it was easy. I had access to say that I've got a problem here, and it is not being fixed. My client is in pain, and I need it fixed now. When that message got delivered, it was addressed immediately.

In 1995 or 1996, there were a lot of solutions that were focused on cybersecurity, but they only had the ability to notify you if something went wrong or they suspected that something went wrong. If you were a decent-sized company, you had to put your security operations team on it to understand what went wrong. In 2005 or 2006, when I started at my previous company, I was responsible for business development and growing their business. I was also responsible for evaluating or recommending new products to bring on board and turn them from a managed IT services provider to a managed IT services and cybersecurity services provider, which I did successfully, but there were so many companies that were in the legacy that just notified you of a problem. Datto not only notified you of a problem, but they also worked to resolve it without your intervention. So, that's what I brought on board.

As the company grew from business continuity—or what used to be called business BCDR—they brought on services. Certain services, such as SaaS protection, were a value-add, but you would expect to pay for them. They are not going to be free. It is just the life that you live when you're evaluating software vendors, partners, etc. There is going to be some form of a base offering, and then there are going to be different tiers that you need to get up to a better level.

Based on my 28 years of experience in this business, Datto was the very best at taking care of its partners. As you achieved different tiers, you were rewarded⁠—it could be a nice dinner for your team, or it could be a deeper discount on the charge per month for the backup. They were always very effective at enticing or enhancing and bringing on new offers to keep their partners growing.

What other advice do I have?

Ransomware and attacks on the infrastructure seem to be what's on everybody's mind today, but the truth be told, business email compromises cost more money last year than ransomware. If you want to balance your approach to protecting a client, you need to understand the key points for protecting your client. Datto has partnered with a company, which I don't really like, for cybersecurity awareness training. That's very important because social engineering or business email compromise is going to be a huge issue. You need to know how to fight that. We all know the human firewall is the weakest point in our link. I could sell you $6 million worth of software and specialized hardware, but if you're not changing the thought process of your employees or the people who are working for you to recognize social engineering, which is basically business email compromise, you're not protecting the weakest link in the chain. The least educated are the employees. If you want to put together a cybersecurity stack that works, you need to incorporate all different facets, such as multi-factor authentication, password management, and timeouts or limits on failed password authentication. However, when you have all these restraints on your employees, it's somewhat uncomfortable. So, you got to force that down to the sea level and say that this is how I'm going to help you. Without proper education about malware, business email compromise can't be avoided. For example, about two years ago, a client transferred $275,000 to an account through the electronic funds transfer. If they had recognized the faults in the email, they never would've done anything. They would've said that this is a lie, and an attempt to steal. The ability to recognize what's conceivably wrong with that text or that email is imperative. It is an imperative piece of the whole cybersecurity stack.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10. They are laser-focused on bringing forth proven protection technologies and stopping cybercriminals from being able to breach, break, steal, or compromise your data.

Member of the Board of Advisors at Envite.us at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Scalable with good data recovery capabilities and a simple design
  • "The solution has the capability to scale well."
  • "I don't have any feedback to provide in terms of features that may be lacking."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for disaster recovery scenarios.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps with recovery of data when we have a failover situation. Fortunately, our system is pretty robust and for the most part, I'm just involved with testing the systems. However, it has helped with regards to the simplicity, and the high level of confidence we have in our failover in the data that gets failed over.

What is most valuable?

The data recovery of the solution is very good.

The system is very simple in general. It's not overly complex.

We have a very high level of confidence that if we have a failover situation, this solution will be able to handle recovery.

The solution has the capability to scale well.

We've found the solution to be pretty stable.

The pricing isn't too expensive. It's in line with what's available on the market these days.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any feedback to provide in terms of features that may be lacking. Overall, it's been pretty good.

They should just keep heading in the direction they are heading and continue to improve the product without falling behind on advancements in the space.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point.

The solution has been very stable so far. It's a robust product. We don't have any issues with crashes. It doesn't freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. We seem to be able to rely on it.

From my understanding, it's very scalable. We don't have any concerns there. If we need to expand it, I'm sure we can.

We've got over 14,000 users on our system every day. So, that's how many users would be using the system in general. From an admin perspective, we're talking about a couple of dozen.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I'm assuming it was pretty straightforward. I didn't hear anything that would indicate otherwise.

I don't directly deal with billing or licensing. My understanding is it's comparable to what is on the market, however, I couldn't say what the exact numbers are.

We haven't really evaluated other options, we wouldn't be able to fairly compare this solution to anything else.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Datto. We're only end-users of their product.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

While I don't have advice specific t the product, I'd advise other users that, whatever product they go with, they have to make sure that they're evaluating it according to their system. Everyone's environment is different and so everyone's needs are different. What may be right for us may not be right for others.

In general, I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten. It's been a pretty positive experience overall.

Download our free Cloud Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about datto, Veeam Software, Acronis, and more!
Updated: November 2022