Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Check Point Remote Access VPN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Check Point Remote Access VPN is #4 ranked solution in top Remote Access tools and top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give Check Point Remote Access VPN an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Check Point Remote Access VPN is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiClient: Check Point Remote Access VPN vs Fortinet FortiClient. Check Point Remote Access VPN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.
Check Point Remote Access VPN Buyer's Guide

Download the Check Point Remote Access VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Check Point Remote Access VPN?

Remote secure access VPN is a solution that provides users with remote access to an organization’s network. The host may have VPN client software loaded or use a web-based client. The solution leverages security features like multi-factor authentication, endpoint scanning, and encryption of all data in motion.

Check Point Remote Access VPN provides individuals with protected and efficient access to a company network from anywhere. This strategy fosters collaboration and connectivity between distributed teams and offices.

Features of Check Point Remote Access VPN

Key features of the secure remote access VPN include:

• Compliance Scanning

The system enforces endpoint security with endpoint compliance. It monitors and verifies the security status of each endpoint and reports back to the Security Gateway. The gateway, in turn, checks the compliance level and directs the connectivity to the right resources.

• 3 Deployment Options

Users can deploy the Remote Access VPN in one of three ways:

1. Integrated with an Endpoint Security solution. In this case, you get a firewall, an application control (not in macOS), the remote access VPN, and compliance features included in the package.
  2. As a Standalone Check Point Mobile for Windows. This package includes a remote access VPN and compliance features.
  3. As a Standalone Secure Remote. This tier only includes the Remote Access VPN.
  • Central Management

Remote Access VPN is centrally managed. The centralized console enables management and enforcement of policies with a single log-in.

• Mobile Access Option

The Remote Access VPN has a web portal that users can use to connect securely to corporate applications, such as web-based resources, file-sharing, and email. Administrators can customize the web portal to match the brand identity.

• 2 Remote Access Options

Remote Access VPN offers two choices for remote access:

1. SSL VPN Portal: Includes the mobile access web portal, an SSL network extender, Check Point Mobile for iOS and Android, and a capsule workspace for iOS and Android.
  2. Layer 3 VPN Tunnel: Includes the endpoint security remote access VPN, Check Point Mobile for Windows, the capsule connect for iOS and Android, the VPN plugin for Windows 8.1, and the capsule VPN for Windows 10.
  • Authentication Support

The authentication features include password management, RADIUS challenge/response, CAPI software, and hardware tokens. P12 certificates, and SecurID.

• Encryption Tunnel

The system establishes a VPN tunnel on demand. It also re-arranges connections when roaming. The tunnel can automatically tear down when the user is on the corporate LAN.

• Connect Options

There are several connection features, such as Hotspot detection, office mode IP, split tunneling, and automatic fallback to HTTPS.

Benefits of Check Point Remote Access VPN

One of the key advantages of Remote Access VPN is that it provides remote workers with a secure way to connect to a corporate network from any device, including their personal devices. The data encryption in transit enables them to securely access the resources they need for their tasks.

It also provides IT support and technicians with a faster way to troubleshoot software issues. In the case of a ticket, IT doesn’t need to go to the server location to fix the problem but can troubleshoot it remotely.

A remote secure access VPN is also an affordable alternative for small and medium-sized businesses, without requiring expensive infrastructure.

Reviews from Real Users

A Global IT Network and Security Service Senior Specialist at a manufacturing company who uses Check Point Remote Access VPN says, "I found the MEP feature the most valuable. This has improved users' latency allowing the users to connect to the nearest Azure Check Point VM."

"Organizations that already use the Check Point NGFW Solution do not require any additional hardware, which makes the implementation straightforward and reduces the time to go live," explains Basil D., Senior Manager at a financial services firm.

Manuel B., a Voice and data infrastructure specialist at a tech services company, says that "The IPSec VPN, Mobile Access, and Identity Awareness are three of the blades with which we have been working with since the pandemic. This has given us great mobility, making our network more dynamic."

Check Point Remote Access VPN was previously known as Check Point Remote Access VPN, Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN.

Check Point Remote Access VPN Customers

Osmose, International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)

Check Point Remote Access VPN Video

Archived Check Point Remote Access VPN Reviews (more than two years old)

Kirtikumar Patel - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at LTTS
Multi-factor authentication helps to securely provide access to company resources while working offsite
  • "The most valuable feature is the seamless access."
  • "We would like to see support for a layer seven VPN over UDP."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to allow our employees to connect to the firewall on-premises, then they can access our office resources. This includes their respective computer, the intranet, shared files, and local applications, even if they are outside of the organization's network.

Our production will be locked down if my VPN stops working, leaving the company unable to work. As such, this is a crucial service for us and resources need to be available for each of our users when working remotely.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to using Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN, our previous solution required installing certificates on every user's machine, which was a very difficult task.

Our old solution did not offer two-factor authentication, which we now have implemented. This helps secure against ongoing cyber theft and threats.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless access. Using this, we control access to our on-premises resources, and our users who are working from outside are easily able to access their office area computers, file servers, and intranet applications.

This product allows us to provide WAN access for our users, whereas prior to this, we could not make the whole intranet available.

Multifactor authentication is very helpful for us.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see support for a layer seven VPN over UDP.-- currently some VPN solution are working on Layer 7 Platform.

The updates under Windows 10 are not always up to date, and we have trouble upgrading remote clients. We have also had trouble deploying new clients.-- The Check Point Remote VPN new client is giving trouble us during upgradation with older version of Windows 10

Check Point Remote Access VPN
October 2022
Learn what your peers think about Check Point Remote Access VPN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using the Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN for the past four years.

We have had no problems with stability and it is working smoothly.

Scalability is good. We have more than 500 users who are working on it.

The technical support is good.

Earlier, we had a traditional VPN, which did not help in running our business seamlessly.

The initial setup is straightforward.

A vendor team assisted us with implementation and deployment.

Its complete ROI, as expected.

This is a very good solution for our employees who work outside of our organization.

Network Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Allows everyone to work from home, which is mission-critical for our organization
  • "It allows everyone to work from home. If no one could work from home, then we wouldn't have a company, especially now during COVID-19. It's mission-critical, especially since it's currently being used. If there is a problem with it, we would really be screwed. We would be hard-pressed because we would have to figure out what solution we're going to go with, how to deploy it, how long it would take to deploy it, and how we'd even get it on people's computers if we couldn't VPN to them. It would be near impossible to just change to a new VPN solution right now."
  • "When you want to deploy a new Check Point agent, it is really a pain in the butt. For example, Windows 10 now has updates almost every couple of months. It changes the versioning and things under the hood. These are things that I don't understand, because I'm not a Windows person. However, I know that the Check Point client is installed on the Windows machine, and if the Check Point client's not kept up-to-date, then it's functionality breaks. It has to be up-to-date with the Windows versions. Check Point has to update the client more often. Now, the problem is that the Check Point client is not easy to update on remote computers and it's not easy to deploy a new client."

What is our primary use case?

We use a Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN client along with Check Point SSL VPN, which allows users to connect to our firewall who don't have the client, e.g., if they have a MacBook, then we don't have a client for them. We allow them to connect to the firewall over the browser. That had a bunch of problems, but they have resolved those this year.

The use case is to allow people to connect to our firewall on-premise. We also have Check Point firewalls in the cloud, which people can connect to as well. Then they can access resources either in our on-premise environment that they need to access, such as, their computers, the Intranet, Salesforce, or our production applications. Also, in AWS, they can access other types of applications, like WorkSpaces, or our production applications there, which allows them to work. It lets them have access to their email, because they're not able to access their email unless they are VPN'd in, etc.

We keep everything locked down to the VPN. If that's not working, then our company will not be able to work. It was very finicky last year, and it's working now. It has been perfect this year.

We don't use the Endpoint Remote Access VPN client for too much. We use its local firewall, which is valuable, but we don't really use SandBlast. I know you can add the SandBlast module along with all these other modules. We literally just use it so our users can connect on-prem.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we used the Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN solution, we were using a difficult VPN solution. It made us install a certificate on the user's laptop. That was very difficult to maintain for the IT department. When we gave out a new laptop, we would have to go and manually put the certificate on a laptop so they could then connect back to the on-prem. Where now, Check Point allows us to use an RSA token and PIN. It integrates with RSA, which is another solution that we use. RSA is a random generated key done every minute and another factor of authentication. With Check Point having that feature, it helped us a lot when we initially set it up.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part would be allowing users to have a seamless connection to the Check Point firewall, which is what we use for controlling access to our on-premise area. Otherwise, we would have to get some other type of VPN solution that I don't know how well would work with the Check Point firewalls. Keeping it in the same ecosystem is good.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we're using Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN R70.30.03. That's the latest version of R70.30. We haven't upgraded to R80 yet, but all of our firewalls are R80. We've been through many iterations of the Endpoint VPN client. I remember awhile ago, it was very difficult to deploy and not have problems, but they've come a long way. Now, it's a lot better.

I have worked so much on this in the past with Check Point that they actually had their vice president of product development call me. I remember one of the things that I told him need room for improvement, which I still haven't seen: When you want to deploy a new Check Point agent, it is really a pain in the butt. For example, Windows 10 now has updates almost every couple of months. It changes the versioning and things under the hood. These are things that I don't understand, because I'm not a Windows person. However, I know that the Check Point client is installed on the Windows machine, and if the Check Point client's not kept up-to-date, then it's functionality breaks. It has to be up-to-date with the Windows versions. Check Point has to update the client more often. Now, the problem is that the Check Point client is not easy to update on remote computers and it's not easy to deploy a new client.

They need to improve deploying a new Endpoint Remote Access VPN client and updating existing Endpoint Remote Access VPN clients. Especially if you want to deploy a new one, it's not an easy process. Their software doesn't really support creating a new Endpoint Remote Access VPN client. There is a lot of manual activity. They need to automate it better. You have to create a generic client, download it to a computer, and install it to the computer. Then, you have to find a file deep inside the directory that it creates. It's like a text file, then you take that text file out and edit the settings in it. For example, I have to tell it to connect to a site which contains our firewalls or else it's like a phone with no phone numbers and I have to put in the phone numbers. This should be done when I download the client the first time from their GUI, but it is not. Instead, I have to install a generic blank version on a computer, find a text file, and edit the text file with the sites of firewalls that the users have to connect to specific to my company. I have to make other setting changes in that version, save it, reboot the computer, find the file again, take that file out of the computer, upload it to GUI, and deploy a new version. Then, I install it after I uninstalled the old one. Of course, all the uninstalls require reboots. So, I am rebooting it like five times now. After that, I have to install it and check the settings. Half the time they don't save the way you want them to save. It is very tedious and terrible.

Even learning that process was a nightmare, because it's not like they have a nice article that explains it to you. They don't. I was bumping my head up against the wall with support for almost six or seven months trying to figure that out. Half of them didn't even know how to do it. That was miserable. But now that I'm an expert on it, I can probably do it within a half a day to three days depending on if it gives me problems or not. That's still miserable, and it should be as easy as: I upload the new version of the client, put in the information that I want it to have on the settings, click download, and install, then it works. It should be that easy. There's really no reason why it's not, except for they didn't improve that process nor have they developed that area. It makes me think that their interest isn't in VPN solutions, even though it should be because it's something that they offer. Otherwise, their support is great.

About seven or eight years.

Since it was fixed in November, it's been 100 percent solid and stable. It's been solid as far as Endpoint Remote Access VPN is concerned. I would say their SSL VPN isn't always solid, but I don't think it's necessarily their fault. I think it's because companies, like Apple and Google, change their browsers and operating systems. This messes up Check Point's ability to allow the connection as far as Java updates or other types of security features that they enable. They also don't let you run the application without administrative rights or in sandbox. I have seen a lot of things break because of other companies' involvement in their products.

As far as the connection is concerned, recently it's been stable. If you had asked me that a couple years ago, it was miserable. It was like the bane of my existence. Now, it's working great.

I manage the solution, though technically it's my team. They don't work on it if they don't have to. If they have to, then they ask me questions.

It is pretty scalable as far as adding more users. I don't see that as being an issue. All we have to do is buy more licenses and it's easy to add the license headcount, then more users can be added just as simply.

We have 200 to 250 users in our company.

We will definitely be increasing to have more users since our company was just purchased by a very large company. This will make us grow.

Their Endpoint Remote Access VPN support team tries to fix whatever problems that are there and incorporate those issues into the next Endpoint Remote Access VPN client that they release for everyone, which is great. I know that last year specifically, I worked with the Endpoint Remote Access VPN support for nine months. We were having disconnects. Some users would get disconnected from their VPN five times in a day. Throughout nine months of working with them, providing logs, providing TCP dumps from the firewall, and all the information they needed, they were able to give us a new client where our users didn't have any more disconnects. They did something where they made it more resilient. So, if there's a problem, the client has more time to talk back to the endpoint or firewall. That is huge since this entire year our whole company has been working from home.

Last year, we had a few people working from home every week, or maybe a tenth of the company works from home permanently. However, if we hadn't fix that issue by November of last year, then having everyone work from home and getting disconnected five times a day would have been an utter nightmare. It probably would (100 percent) been the end of Check Point at our company, because I know our CIO already doesn't really like Check Point. We keep it around because my team believes in it. But if no one could work, because no one could VPN, that definitely would have been the end of Check Point.

This wasn't something they could just fix or something that I could fix or configure. It literally took nine months of troubleshooting and ongoing fixing with their development team in Israel, where they were making new code for the input client, which we got. It worked and we're still running that client today. That was huge. If I had to say something really good, it would be that their support helped us and fixed that issue.

We did use something else previously. I want to say it was some kind of a VNC Viewer things with a certificate. It's very basic and crappy.

We switched because we need more features, like the RSA token involvement. We also like that we were using another Check Point solution and could integrate with that.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. I think their documentation is pretty good for the initial setup. It took a little while, but it wasn't difficult. We did the deployment successfully in probably two months on our own, without them doing anything, by just reading the documentation and having other stuff going on too. We didn't just focus on this deployment.

I just wished the upgrade process was easy and the configuration initial process was easier. In the past six months, they did a fix, where if I push out a new install to users, it doesn't reboot their computer. Now, it will install their client and not reboot.

They need to keep up with Windows updates faster. There have been a couple of times where Windows is updated and they didn't have a new version ready for when Windows was ready, which means the clients that are running on the newer version of Windows won't be able to VPN. If they can keep up to speed with that, then it would be good.

I've done this twice already because I know that we didn't upgrade it. I built out two new servers for it. I have a primary and a policy server. We have a primary endpoint server. Then, we have a secondary, which is called a policy server. This is operational because our clients will connect round robin to one, then the other. It's just that one of them has more precedence over the other as far as enforcing policy. We have those in two different environments, and they're virtual. All the standard things that go along with setting up a virtual environment.

We had to create the policy on the new endpoint server, which isn't too complicated. It includes a list of ports that we needed for our users to be able to use certain applications, like their chat and VoIP, because it has a local firewall. That took some time, like a week building that policy out and testing it. It's really about making sure that it can connect to the endpoint server through the main firewall. Then, it gets its policy from the endpoint server that it downloads and enforces on the local firewall, allowing for the connection to the main firewall. I wouldn't say it was too complicated as far as deployment strategy goes.

We have seen ROI. It allows everyone to work from home. If no one could work from home, then we wouldn't have a company, especially now during COVID-19. It's mission-critical, especially since it's currently being used. If there is a problem with it, we would really be screwed. We would be hard-pressed because we would have to figure out what solution we're going to go with, how to deploy it, how long it would take to deploy it, and how we'd even get it on people's computers if we couldn't VPN to them. It would be near impossible to just change to a new VPN solution right now. Without physical access to the machines, it makes things much more difficult.

My understanding is that the pricing and licensing are very competitive, and it's not one of their more expensive products. We buy licenses for the solution and have licenses for the endpoint servers.

I believe we did evaluate other option, but I know that we were leaning strongly towards Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to have patience. Make sure you get a Tier 3 support person. Setting up the servers and everything is easy, but deploying the Endpoint VPN client is not easy. They need to have someone walk them through the process of creating the Trac file that contains the settings for the client. That is hard.

There is the endpoint server, which is on-prem, and easy to set up like any other appliance that any network engineer or systems administrator should know how to do. That is easy. But if you want to deploy the client, which most people want to deploy the client, and have any type of configured settings on it, then know that it is not just a generic client. That's the hard part. My advice would be to reach out to support and have them help you with it.

I remember not knowing how to deploy the Trac file and struggling immensely. I was unable to deploy the client and get people working, which is my job and what I'm supposed to do. Learning how to do that, being familiar with the process, and actually doing what I'm expected to do at work, which is let people be connected to the firewall, that was my biggest lesson.

I would rate it a seven and a half out of 10.

Check Point Remote Access VPN
October 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Assistant General Manager IT at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A comfortable interface that provides access to our data and business applications

What is our primary use case?

In our current dynamic, we are using this solution to provide access to data and some business applications over the internet.

What is most valuable?

Our users find the interface very comfortable to use.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for innovation and the addition of new features.

We have been using this VPN for more than ten years.

With respect to stability, Check Point has been running smoothly and we haven't had any issues.

We have about 500 people using this solution in our company during the COVID-19 pandemic. Prior to that, we had an average of 100 daily users.

We are satisfied with the support.

We are always searching to see if there is anything new in the market.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, Check Point is meeting all of our requirements. That said, there is always a chance of innovation and something new.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Senior System Engineer at Thai Transmission Industry
Stable solution but they should strengthen their security features

What is our primary use case?

A lot of our clients are complimentary companies, like the electrical company. They need Check Point Remote Access VPN, or even another similar solution. I tell them that I already have the VPN solution in our company.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improving the service, I think they could add more features, like the security to block off the doors, or create another hatch, something like this. They could make the features safer, add malware to make my mail and the Kryon system safer and to protect data at an earlier stage.

I have been using Check Point for about one year.

I have not heard any complaints from the clients regarding its stability. I think it's stable for them.

Not all of our clients who use Check Point VPN are in Thailand. Some government agencies, like the Electric City Company, are in Thailand. They use it formally. Their IT and telecom departments, those who require a secure network, are using it.

I have not contacted customer support yet because I take care of any issues from here. That's why I don't have their programming disk because I take care of it myself, including the configuration and the DSL in Check Point.

We still use other products.

The initial setup is not complex. Plus, we've got the Kryon system. So these systems make it easier for the user. We have known this product for a while, that's why it's not a problem to configure the system.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have any advice yet.

On a scale of one to ten, I'd give Check Point Remote Access VPN a seven.

IT Tech Security Management at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple management, quick search capabilities, and very good stability
  • "The management of the solution is very simple. It allows for a single view of all the endpoints."
  • "I cannot see the full effect of the endpoint solution because it relies on having access to the DNF queries, which might not go through the Check Point firewall when you're using it for perimeter networks. Check Point will not identify the actual source of the net queries. This may be related to the architecture, however, and not poor product issues. I don't know if it can be improved on the Check Point side or not."

What is most valuable?

The differentiator for this solution is the management interface that we find very good and provides a single view for all endpoints. The solution offers SmartLog that allows quick searches. The compliance modules are also very interesting.

What needs improvement?

I cannot see the full effect of the antibot solution because it relies on having access to the DNS queries, which might not go through the Check Point firewall when you're using it for perimeter networks. In this case Check Point will not identify the actual source of the DNS queries associated with antibot activity. This may be related to the customer architecture, however, and not due to product limitation. I don't know if it can be improved on the Check Point side or not.

The solution should allow for the automatic identification of destinations.

We have a URL qualification on the on-premises deployment model; this should also be the case on the cloud. The automatic classification should be done by the cloud team instead of having to specify or subscribe to a RSS for the information, we should be able to have an object that represents such cloud services. It's possible that Check Point already allows for this, but if they don't they should.

We've been using the solution for about 20 years.

The solution is very stable.

The stability depends on the setup. If the solution resides on a specific appliance, it is not scalable. It has a fixed capacity. However, if you move it onto different environments, cloud environments, it will become scalable. Right now, we have about 4,000 users in the current network and about 500 remote access users.

Technical support is reasonable. It depends on the level of support you are willing to pay for, however. You can choose to have a company working for you with intermediate support with Check Point, or you can choose to have direct advanced support.

The initial setup has a moderate amount of complexity. It's acceptable. However, the graphical display of the user chart of network usage, and the ability to zero in on the current graphics could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

We currently only use the on-premises deployment model, although we may extend into the cloud in the future. We're aware of the cloud's capabilities, but we're not using it because we don't have a large infrastructure expression there.

In terms of advice, I'd suggest that others implementing the solution make sure training happens on their teams. Most products can have lots of features, but if you do not have proper knowledge, you will not be able to make use of those features.

I'm very satisfied with this solution; I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Adriano-Simao - PeerSpot reviewer
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm
A secure solution that's reliable and scalable
  • "The ability to create your trigger data domains is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "The interface itself needs improvement. When you need to create something, you have to go through a lot of steps. It needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to have a secure connection and to offer security integration with our remote office as well as some other companies.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution should include the ability to integrate the equipment's functionality with others. For example, we would like Checkpoint to be able to integrate easily to the public key infrastructure. According to Checkpoint, there is no use case for this right now.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution has been very scalable for us up until now. Currently, we have two data centers and we are running two Checkpoints for the facility to spread the workload.

The process is mainly straightforward.

We started only with the firewall components and this part was straightforward. Once we started to implement the VPN, we had to work with the reseller. Now, we are handling it ourselves.

We handled the implementation ourselves with the assistance of resellers.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

Checkpoint is very strong and very reliable. I would advise that those considering implementing the product go to a Checkpoint training session before implementing the solution. It's good to be familiar with the product beforehand.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

it_user147558 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Gives users the ability to work from home. It would be great if the Java applet could run without admin permission.

Valuable Features

Firewall and SSL VPN

Improvements to My Organization

One of the features that is very valuable to our agency is SSL VPN software blade which gives users the ability to work from home.

Room for Improvement

The SSL VPN needs a Java applet to be installed and it is also dependent on the latest version of java. If our users use their work laptops at home they don’t have the permission to install anything that would be great if this applet can run without administrator permission.

Use of Solution

4-5 years

We haven't encountered any issues with deployment.

We haven't encountered any issues with stability.

We haven't encountered any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: ExcellentTechnical Support: Excellent

It is definitely not a complex procedure.

Implementation Team

In-house, with a CheckPoint engineer’s assistance, Excellent.
Download our free Check Point Remote Access VPN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: October 2022