IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Azure Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Monitor is #7 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Azure Monitor an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Azure Monitor is most commonly compared to Datadog: Azure Monitor vs Datadog. Azure Monitor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Azure Monitor?

Azure Monitor maximizes the availability and performance of your applications by delivering a comprehensive solution for collecting, analyzing, and acting on telemetry from your cloud and on-premises environments. It helps you understand how your applications are performing and proactively identifies issues affecting them and the resources they depend on.

Azure Monitor Customers

Rackspace, First Gas, Allscripts, ABB Group

Azure Monitor Video

Archived Azure Monitor Reviews (more than two years old)

reviewer1188402 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Requires out of the box monitoring, real-time monitoring, and better network mapping
  • "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The process of implementation needs to be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a Server monitoring service.

What is most valuable?

The solution can be scaled.

The solution is quite stable.

What needs improvement?

Overall, we're not too enthusiastic about the solution.

The solution is administration heavy, and very cumbersome. Using it is a lot of work on the admin side. It doesn't do things out of the box the way other products do.

The new  data ingest pricing model is wrong. They should scrap that all together. It should be a flat rate per year. As of right now, it fluctuates month to month, so it's hard to really know how much you will be charged.

The solution needs a lot of work. It needs out of the box monitoring, real-time monitoring, and better network mapping.  There are many features that are lacking.

The process of implementation needs to be easier.

The problem is the solution only does Azure. It can't monitor any other SAAS products. That's a very limiting design flaw.

We've been dealing with the solution for three years at this point.

Azure Monitor
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Azure Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is okay. I just think it doesn't have the same agility as its competitors like ExtraHop, New Relic, or Dynatrace.

It's nowhere near as good as those products.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. A company has the capabilities of expanding if they need to.

I personally have never contacted technical support. However, we haven't had any issues. We haven't really used the solution in any great detail and therefore haven't run into many issues simply due to it being complicated to administer its features.

The solution is currently replacing SCOM, and SCOM is a very admin heavy product. Azure Monitor seems to require a lot of admin as well.

Neither are out-of-the-box solutions. Both require a lot of work.

I didn't participate in implementing the solution, so I can't personally evaluate how the process went. I'm not sure if it's complex or straightforward. However, one of my technicians handles the process, and it's my understanding that it's very complicated to set up.

In House

None, it cost more to run than any benefits gained

Due to the fact that the pricing has changed to a date ingest model, it can get very expensive. The costing can fluctuate quite a bit month to month.  There isn't a way to really say this costs so many dollars a month.

No unfortunately as this product came with our bulk licensing agreement.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Microsoft customer. We don't have any special relationship with the company.

We use a mixture of hybrid, public, and private cloud in terms of deployment models.

The product is not as good as a lot of market-leading products.

We haven't used the solution a great deal yet. We've only just scratched the surface. because we don't have the time to spend on it.

I'd rate the solution four our of ten.

I wouldn't recommend the solution at all. I would direct other companies to go to either ExtraHop or New Relic. I would go to Dynatrace as well if I had the choice.

Microsoft Azure Monitor would be one of the last things on my list to recommend to others.

Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good monitoring of infrastructure and applications. The capacity reservations is a great way to cut costs by up to 25% compared to USE-BASED PAYMENT.
  • "We like this searchability and availability of the data."
  • "The price could be lower but it is not a must."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting and software development firm and we have a lot of experience with Cloud solutions. In 2019 we start our Solutions in Microsoft Azure. The Azure Monitor is one of the products that we used for our solutions and client tools to monitor the relevant infrastructur, applications and problems. Azure Monitor is a usefull tool to have a dashboard with all metrics information over all using enviroments.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Monitor has made it much easier for us to constantly monitor the infrastructure and applications with possible problems. With regular use and maintenance, the emerging scope of evaluation data can also be clearly arranged.

Downtimes are no longer desirable these days and with Azure Monitor the undetected downtime has been reduced to a few minutes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the survey of surveillance data in real time and the useful dashboard.

We like the performance display of the applications and the ability to identify problems as well as resources on which they depend.

Service Health is very helpful in identifying existing service problems and leading to a quick solution.

What needs improvement?

Sending multidimensional metrics through diagnostic settings should be supported.

We have been working with Azure Monitor for the past year. In 2019 we starting in the Azure Cloud with our solutions.

Azure Monitor is very stable.

To this point, my impression is that it is scalable and it is a good tool to find infrastructure and application problems in realtime. We are in the B2B market and our clients are enterprise-level companies.

We do not generally use technical support. The linked help and built-in assistants can often provide immediate help. We look for tutorials and search the web using Google/Bing to find solutions to our problems if we have them.

In the Azure Monitor case, everything was self-explanatory and the additional online help was completely sufficient.

Prior to Azure Monitor, we did not work with any similar solutions.

I would say that the initial setup is somewhere between easy and complex. It starts a little bit easier with the wizards, but if you want to achieve the best performance then you have to know the product well.

Find infrastructure and application problems in realtime.

Using the capacity reservations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Azure Monitor is to look for the tutorial before starting. Then, to install and set up the monitor, use the wizards. The combination will help you to find the best ways to use the tools.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Azure Monitor
August 2022
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ATHANASSIOS FAMELIARIS - PeerSpot reviewer
S/W Technologies & Processes Unit Manager at Unisystems
Extremely reliable with good load and metrics gathering and very good analysis
  • "Good load and metrics gathering and very good analysis."
  • "Automation related to gathering metrics from more applications could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution is application monitoring using the Insights app. We have about five specialists in our operations team and we also have an application management team of around 10 people. There are plans to increase usage but that's something that is driven by the customers that we provide our services to. We partner with Azure Monitor and I work as a SW technologist and process unit manager in the company.

What is most valuable?

There are a few good features in this solution. First, it's integrated with Azure DevOps. Second, it has good load gathering and very good analysis. Finally, the metrics gathering, even though it requires some actions and application level, is also fairly good.

What needs improvement?

I think the product could be improved if they were to work on automation related to gathering metrics from more applications without the need for instrumentation and things like that. I'd like them to work more on that.

Additional features they could include would be more automations related to applications and monitoring, user experience monitoring on the application level. Improvement on technical support would also be helpful.

I've been using the solution for six months.

This is a stable solution.

I haven't tested the solution for scalability but from the specifications it seems that it would be easily scalable.

The technical support could be improved - their response time can be quite slow.

Prior to using Azure Monitor I used SolarWinds. I think that SolarWinds is more infrastructure level oriented while Azure covers infrastructure but also covers the application side. That's why we migrated to Azure.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Transfer to the solution required some training so I think in total it took us about two weeks.

Before choosing Azure Monitor, we evaluated it compared to SolarWinds and Dynatrace, which was a more expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good enough product for anyone wanting something that might not be top of the range but it does the work easily, is simple to configure and is a fair price.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
reviewer1188402 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Watches for network anomalies and keeps our servers up, but the GUI needs to be improved
  • "The most valuable feature is that it ensures our servers are up."
  • "When something goes down, we want the option to have automation in place to get it back up again as quickly as possible."

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple monitoring tools at the moment and are looking for a single solution that can monitor everything. As part of our current setup, we are using Azure Monitor to monitor our network.

It ensures that our network is responding correctly and looks to see if there are any anomalies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it ensures our servers are up.

What needs improvement?

When something goes down, we want the option to have automation in place to get it back up again as quickly as possible.

It is not very user-friendly so the GUI can be improved.

We have just started using Azure Monitor.

We have had no issues with respect to stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

We have used other monitoring tools and one of the advantages of Azure Monitor is that it is easier for us to use because we're mainly a Microsoft shop.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We deployed in stages over about a month.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this tool is to take your time with it and see if it is the right one for you. If it is, then get rid of all of the other tools.

This is a good product but it is not very user-friendly at this stage.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

VinothNanjappan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Administrator at Herbalife
Monitors the server and all of the CPUs so we can audit the bandwidth that has been consumed
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's stable. It hasn't crossed any thresholds."
  • "The troubleshooting logs need improvement. There should be some improvement there. I have a hard time finding the right logs at the right times whenever there is an issue occurring."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor all the services and applications, whether it is running or whether it is standing still. We use it to monitor the server and all of the CPUs so you can audit the bandwidth that has been consumed - all the day to day administrative stuff.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's stable. It hasn't crossed any thresholds.

What needs improvement?

The troubleshooting logs need improvement. There should be some improvement there. I have a hard time finding the right logs at the right times whenever there is an issue occurring. They should simplify the logs.

I have been using it for around two years.

We definitely do have plans to increase the usage but it depends on what the management calls. I'm not the authorized person to make calls here but we do have plans to increase the current infrastructure.

We have a separate team that handles creating incidents with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure Monitor an eight out of ten. In order to make it a perfect ten, the solution should be simplified. For a beginner, it's kind of complex. It should be made easier for beginners or newcomers.

I would recommend this product. We get good results from Microsoft Azure, so that's why we stick with Microsoft Azure

I definitely recommend this product to all my colleagues or my friends or my friend's companies.

Hybrid Cloud
TonyKerr - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at productive it solutions
This integrated add-on for Microsoft Azure helps monitor performance of the base product
  • "A product that is well-integrated for monitoring Microsoft Azure."
  • "As a younger product it still has room for feature improvement and enhancement."

What is our primary use case?

I use Monitor for up-down (up time / down time) monitoring and tracking performance events within Azure. Essentially, I use it for log analytic searches, backend searches, and also to provide insights into Azure Monitor.

What is most valuable?

I find that the new dynamic alerting is a pretty good feature now. It bought the product up to date. Response times for alerts are much better than they were. Also running event searches within Azure Monitor. They're quite handy features and I find them all valuable.

What needs improvement?

I'm quite involved in the automation of dynamic alerts so I really can provide some insight into how that can be improved. They did have an alerts feature before and it was quite well automated, but since they've gone to a dynamic model and did a few updates, it broke a few things. Some commands that were used before no longer work. But some things that could be improved are:

• Feedback should really be feeding back to MSFC (Windows Server Failover Cluster).
  • Make it so you can actually create more dynamic alerts on the fly.
  • Add capabilities to export templates dynamically.
  • Integrate better with Terraform — which everybody seems to be using these days. The integration with Terraform is broken on the Terraform side as well so it's not working as well as it should be from either point.

I have been using the solution for more than three years.

The stability of the product is okay. We've got to do some further testing with alerting. It is something we are at the point of using now with our customers. A client was previously getting flooded with alerts but not when we were able to suppress alerts in the right way. So, I think it's pretty stable compared to how it was. There is still more room for improvement.

I think the scalability is pretty good and you can plug-and-play pretty well. I'm not sure how well the product talks to other third-party tools, but overall the scalability is good. I don't think they are going to scrap the current model but they've got a lot of things that you can embed now with service help metrics. I think it is a pretty good bonus. There is a new upscale function as well, so scalability is pretty good.

The technical support is pretty good. They have been getting better. A lot of the call center operations are offshore these days, but that situation has been getting better as well. I would say there is an improvement in technical support in response time to tickets. They usually get to things within four to eight hours. Even if the technicians say there is going to be a 24-hour response — like a class C ticket — it still goes through.

The product is in the portal, so you don't really need to set it up. When you get your subscription it is all built-in. If you're setting up customized resources and alerting, then you need to set up the action groups and some other things. For example, I put automation on group creation which sets the alerts and additional parameters. It isn't necessary but it is a good option to take advantage of. The only thing that gets in the way during setup is the integration. I think the setup is getting better and easier than it was.

I implemented the product myself with customizations and building it out for our needs.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using this product almost since it was first released. It changed in the last two or three years to be officially launched. I think the initial release of Monitor came out about four years ago and has improved a bit. So on a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Azure Monitor further up there than I would have before. It is eight now. It is really production-ready. I'm not going to give it 10 out of 10 cause nothing's ever that good but I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10.

To get closer to being a ten they would need automation of alerting. What I mean by this is adding a feature where you drag-and-drop what you want and then you can click and it exports the template. That would be ideal. I think there is actually a way to do that template export, but there isn't a dedicated export function. You can do that without a dedicated function when you deploy, but you can't do that with a visual monitor at the moment.

In any case, I would definitely recommend the product for Azure users because it is seamlessly integrated into the platform.

Paul-Fijma - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Engineer at Asperion
Excellent at status updates and well integrated with Microsoft
  • "The solution integrates well with the Microsoft platform."
  • "n comparison to New Relic, which I've used before, it's a bit more complicated. It's not as easy to use. It also took some time to get it working. The implementation needs to be simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We have a financial application that needs to be working, and for our organization, it's important to be able to see the status of the overall application, which we have now. That's our primary use case for the solution.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates well with the Microsoft platform.

What needs improvement?

In comparison to New Relic, which I've used before, it's a bit more complicated. It's not as easy to use. It also took some time to get it working. The implementation needs to be simpler.

I've been using the solution for three months.

Right now, we're planning to increase usage. We're migrating from on-premises to the cloud. Currently, we have 25 users.

We previously used New Relic. Azure Monitor does a better job of integrating with Microsoft, which is one of its main selling points.

The deployment of the solution is somewhat complex because not all the tools are easy to understand. Just like New Relic, you use the SQL language to do the requests that you want to have specific for your APM. That's a little bit different than I'm used to. I'm trying to learn the language right now.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are using all deployment models: public cloud, private, hybrid, and on-premises. Since we already have Azure, they deliver the monitoring solution as part of our environment.

Azure is more integrated into the infrastructure than New Relic was. You can use infrastructure components versus the analytics tool, which is a separate component that you can use for multiple things in different ways.

Currently, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. It's working very well. It does exactly what I expect it to do. I think it's a good solution. It's very well supported by Microsoft.

Senior Principal Consultant at GDPRTech
A fast service to deploy that is stable and can scale

What is our primary use case?

We are doing the Azure cloud transformation by moving to link up the application to the cloud. Monitoring is one part of application's transformation.

I only work with the cloud-based model.

What needs improvement?

They can simplify the overall complexity since you have multiple data sources in the cloud for monitoring. It's quite simple, but there are so many portals. It takes time to work with it. If they could simplify the user configuration, that would be good.

The integration capabilities could use some improvements.

I have been using the product for approximately seven years.

The product is stable.

It's a service from Microsoft, so it will scale.

I have not contacted the technical support for Azure Monitor.

It is easy to create a ticket. The overall Microsoft Azure could be faster.

This was only the traditional basic monitoring for Azure.

It depends of the things that you're going to monitor. For example, when configuring a third-party social Internet application on IaaS services and PaaS, I don't have a software development background. Therefore, it's quite difficult to ask the infrastructure guys, "What is something that I need to monitor from the Azure's SQL Server databases and infrastructure."

It's a fast service to deploy. It's more about defining the configuration. You need to find the right attributes to monitor. It takes about two weeks (10 to 20 days) to assign what to monitor. The actual configuration is quite fast.

I did a private installation for the customer's Intranet.

Partner / Consultant at procomix
Reseller
Monitors all of our clients' environments and helps them with technical issues
  • "I am impressed by the reporting on the average eight ports that we get from this solution."
  • "They need to work on a more hybrid deployment that will allow us to monitor local on-premise deployments and connect to different systems. I would like to see more integration."

What is our primary use case?

We are an operation center so we use this solution mainly to monitor all of our clients' environments and to help them with technical issues. So it's mainly promoting clients' environments, technical issues, and being proactive.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They need to work on a more hybrid deployment that will allow us to monitor local on-premise deployments and connect to different systems. I would like to see more integration.

In the next version, I would like to see more mobile applications. The current support is based on email so customers don't have full support. I think the developers need to put some effort into the support team to put skilled people in place and provide phone access.

I have teen using the solution for almost two years now.

We've had no major issues, so the program is stable.

I believe the program is scalable.

The initial setup was not that complex but it was definitely not straightforward. You need to have certain design planning in place. We are integrators, so we have an internal team who was responsible for it.

The duration of deployment depends on the size and the number of servers that you need to monitor. Sometimes it takes 20 or 30 days, sometimes takes five days or even less. So it depends on the client size and how much he or she wants to evolve and develop.

I would say that one person is enough to do the deployment; it really depends on the kind of business.

Azure offers more intelligence than other solutions. Other solutions mainly focus on the network with hardware, but Azure is more open to other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to do design planning. I believe there is room for improvement, especially when it comes to mobile applications. That is why my rating is eight out of ten.

Download our free Azure Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022