IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Azure Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Monitor is #7 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Azure Monitor an average rating of 8 out of 10. Azure Monitor is most commonly compared to Datadog: Azure Monitor vs Datadog. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Azure Monitor?

Azure Monitor maximizes the availability and performance of your applications by delivering a comprehensive solution for collecting, analyzing, and acting on telemetry from your cloud and on-premises environments. It helps you understand how your applications are performing and proactively identifies issues affecting them and the resources they depend on.

Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Azure Monitor Customers

Rackspace, First Gas, Allscripts, ABB Group

Azure Monitor Video

Azure Monitor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Monitor pricing:
  • "Azure Monitor is a low-priced solution, which is why it would work best on small-scale projects."
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable."
  • "Azure Monitor is a competitively priced solution."
  • Azure Monitor Reviews

Khang Do - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Low-priced and stable tool for data export and visualization, but has very few features
    • "Data exporting is easy, and this tool works seamlessly with other solutions. It's a stable and low-priced solution."
    • "This solution has fewer features than some of its competitors, so adding more features to it would make it better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure Monitor as our alert system. We also use it for other types of measurement.

What is most valuable?

Currently, we use Power BI for our data visualization, and Azure Monitor is a very good fit with those cases. Another thing I like about the solution is that we can easily export the data, and the tool seamlessly works together with Datadog, though in terms of visualization in Azure Monitor, it's not as beautiful. It also doesn't have as many features as Power Bi, and this is why we were comparing it with Datadog.We use Power BI because it has many features, so that's the main part we consider when selecting which tool to use. As for Datadog, people think of it as an application performance monitoring tool, rather than a data exporting tool, so they will still use Azure Monitor for exporting data. In some cases when the data analyst team needs some type of data, we can set that up for them on Azure Monitor, then consider using Datadog as a platform monitor.

What needs improvement?

Visualization in Azure Monitor needs improvement. Adding more features to it would also make the solution better.

My experience with Azure Monitor is six months.
    Azure Monitor
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Azure Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Azure Monitor is a stable tool.

Azure Monitor is scalable, but the only downside to it is that it's not an out-of-the-box (OOTB) solution, so we cannot scale it to something outside of Azure ServiceNow. Currently, we use ServiceNow as a ticketing system, then use Datadog as the incident and alert system to trigger a ticket in ServiceNow, which we cannot do in Azure Monitor.

Azure Monitor is a low-priced solution.

We evaluated Datadog.

What other advice do I have?

I was comparing Datadog and Azure Monitor. We had a POC for Datadog and we were trying to test it with the trial account for our current data solution in Azure, so we tried to measure the differences between the two solutions. Now we use Azure Monitor for our alerts and other measurements, but not as an application performance monitoring tool, so we're considering Datadog for that purpose. They made the final decision to use Datadog for application performance monitoring. We are not in the setup phase for Azure Monitor yet, because we're still doing a POC for visibility, so we still have no idea on whether it'll be complex or straightforward to set up the tool. As we are very small, we have not had the chance to contact tech support for this solution, plus we have a dedicated team from Microsoft who handles our questions and issues. Currently, we don't have an issue on Azure Monitor, but have raised issues about other Microsoft solutions, and the Microsoft dedicated team have been very supportive. My advice to others looking into implementing Azure Monitor is that if they're working on small-scale projects and their projects fit Azure, then Azure Monitor will be the best solution for them, particularly because it is low-priced. The tool is also good when building a solution, e.g. they won't need to explore outside of it, but if they're building a multi-cloud solution, and they have a mix of on-premises and cloud, my suggestion is for them to use Datadog. I will rate Azure Monitor a seven out of ten, because this solution has two things that we don't like, e.g. it doesn't tell you what and how it happened. It just says: "Hey, that happened", and "Go and check it". This is the reason why I don't recommend Azure Monitor, e.g. it's not a very informative tool, so we don't use it for our root cause investigation.
    reviewer1188402 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager - Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Requires out of the box monitoring, real-time monitoring, and better network mapping
    • "The solution is quite stable."
    • "The process of implementation needs to be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a Server monitoring service.

What is most valuable?

The solution can be scaled.

The solution is quite stable.

What needs improvement?

Overall, we're not too enthusiastic about the solution.

The solution is administration heavy, and very cumbersome. Using it is a lot of work on the admin side. It doesn't do things out of the box the way other products do.

The new  data ingest pricing model is wrong. They should scrap that all together. It should be a flat rate per year. As of right now, it fluctuates month to month, so it's hard to really know how much you will be charged.

The solution needs a lot of work. It needs out of the box monitoring, real-time monitoring, and better network mapping.  There are many features that are lacking.

The process of implementation needs to be easier.

The problem is the solution only does Azure. It can't monitor any other SAAS products. That's a very limiting design flaw.

We've been dealing with the solution for three years at this point.

The stability is okay. I just think it doesn't have the same agility as its competitors like ExtraHop, New Relic, or Dynatrace.

It's nowhere near as good as those products.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. A company has the capabilities of expanding if they need to.

I personally have never contacted technical support. However, we haven't had any issues. We haven't really used the solution in any great detail and therefore haven't run into many issues simply due to it being complicated to administer its features.

The solution is currently replacing SCOM, and SCOM is a very admin heavy product. Azure Monitor seems to require a lot of admin as well.

Neither are out-of-the-box solutions. Both require a lot of work.

I didn't participate in implementing the solution, so I can't personally evaluate how the process went. I'm not sure if it's complex or straightforward. However, one of my technicians handles the process, and it's my understanding that it's very complicated to set up.

In House

None, it cost more to run than any benefits gained

Due to the fact that the pricing has changed to a date ingest model, it can get very expensive. The costing can fluctuate quite a bit month to month.  There isn't a way to really say this costs so many dollars a month.

No unfortunately as this product came with our bulk licensing agreement.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Microsoft customer. We don't have any special relationship with the company.

We use a mixture of hybrid, public, and private cloud in terms of deployment models.

The product is not as good as a lot of market-leading products.

We haven't used the solution a great deal yet. We've only just scratched the surface. because we don't have the time to spend on it.

I'd rate the solution four our of ten.

I wouldn't recommend the solution at all. I would direct other companies to go to either ExtraHop or New Relic. I would go to Dynatrace as well if I had the choice.

Microsoft Azure Monitor would be one of the last things on my list to recommend to others.

Azure Monitor
    May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    William Scheuernstuhl - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior System Administrator at BCBS of Kansas City
    Good and stable for collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure
    • "Azure Monitor is really just a source for Dynatrace. It's just collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure. It is fairly good at that."
    • "There are a lot of things that take more time to do, such as charting, alerting, and correlation of data, and things like that. Azure Monitor doesn't tell you why something happened. It just tells you that it happened. It should also have some type of AI. Environments and applications are becoming more and more complex every day with hundreds or thousands of microservices. Therefore, having to do a lot of the stuff manually takes a lot of time, and on top of that, troubleshooting issues takes a lot of time. The traditional method of troubleshooting doesn't really work for or apply to this environment we're in. So, having an AI-based system and the ability to automate deployments of your monitoring and configurations makes it much easier."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Azure Monitor end connection as a hybrid model where it's integrated into Dynatrace. Azure Monitor monitors the infrastructure of Azure within our cloud environment. It doesn't give you any explanations or anything like that. It's just metrics, just data. We've integrated this data into Dynatrace so that the Dynatrace system and AI can give accurate response times, performance on metrics, and things like that.

What is most valuable?

Azure Monitor is really just a source for Dynatrace. It's just collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure. It is fairly good at that.

What needs improvement?

It should also have some type of AI. Environments and applications are becoming more and more complex every day with hundreds or thousands of microservices. Therefore, having to do a lot of the stuff manually takes a lot of time, and on top of that, troubleshooting issues takes a lot of time. The traditional method of troubleshooting doesn't really work for or apply to this environment we're in. So, having an AI-based system and the ability to automate deployments of your monitoring and configurations makes it much easier.

We have been using Azure Monitor for nine months.

It's pretty stable.

I haven't scaled it. We're still building things.

I didn't personally have to deal with them. I did contact them once or twice earlier on. It was okay. It seemed like the usual Microsoft kind of approach. You submit an email and all of your information, and then you get a response back the next day. I'm sure it would be better if you had a support plan, but I don't know that specifically.

There needs to be a better process or method to deploy and configure it. Currently, there's a lot of manual intervention. It is not really an out-of-the-box solution.

If you want to get help, you will have to pay for it. Otherwise, you just do it on your own. The problem with doing it on your own is that if you're not so familiar with it, then you have to first familiarize yourself with Azure and setting up different alerts, etc. You really don't get a whole lot of these complexities with Dynatrace.

I wasn't a part of Azure deployment. My area of focus is Application Performance Monitoring, and I was involved with that. For the rest of the Azure environment, there were several teams.

What other advice do I have?

There is Azure Monitor, and then there is Azure Application Insights, which is a component of Azure. Azure Application Insights does similar things as Dynatrace, but just not as good as Dynatrace. There's a lot of manual configuration for Azure Monitor and Application Insights, which isn't there with Dynatrace.

I would rate Azure Monitor an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

George Nsude - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at Ultiblob Cloud Services
    Useful telemetry information, quick support, and high availability
    • "Azure Monitor is useful because of the useful application insights and telemetry, such as metrics and logs."
    • "Azure Monitor could improve the visualization aspect and integrate better with other third-party services."

What is our primary use case?

Azure Monitor can be used to monitor on-prem servers. You can install the agent on a server on-premise and you can pull out whatever telemetry you want. Additionally, you can install it on servers that are on the public cloud. It's similar to hybrid solutions. However, it depends on the use case. If there's a server on-premise, you deploy the server in AWS or GCP. If the server is on Azure itself, then it plugs directly in which is a hybrid setup.

Azure Monitor can be used if you are trying to look for how all the applications are tied together, such as application mapping. It helps to know what ports are open, what services are running on certain servers as one.

We are able to monitor CPU utilization for specific servers to determine if they are running specific types of workloads or high resource utilization type workloads. We use Azure Monitor to be able to see if the server gets to a certain threshold, such as 70 percent CPU utilization, then send an alert to the operation center or reliability center to go look at it. They could then expand or increase the CPU resource there to fix the issue. The tool is used for monitoring purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Monitor has helped our organization to have insights into issues and informs us before an issue becomes a very critical stage. It provides us a baseline on how to prevent serious issues in the future. You don't want it to get to 90 percent usage, if you catch it at 70 percent, it helps preserve the lifespan of that sever or allow your services to keep running efficiently or effectively. It keeps the availability of whatever service that you're running on that server, is in check. This is one of the most important parts of the service.

What is most valuable?

Azure Monitor is useful because of the useful application insights and telemetry, such as metrics and logs.

What needs improvement?

Azure Monitor could improve the visualization aspect and integrate better with other third-party services.

I have been using Azure Monitor for approximately four years.

Azure Monitor is a stable solution.

The scalability of Azure Monitor is very good because it is on a public platform.

We have approximately 500 users using this solution. We are extensively using Azure Monitor and we are always adding to it.

The support we have received from Microsoft has been good. Depending on the issue you might be facing, they could respond within less than 24 hours during business hours.

The initial setup of Azure Monitor is straightforward. The process took us approximately one hour.

We did the implementation of Azure Monitor in-house.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

I have evaluated Datadog before choosing Azure Monitor.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Monitor an eight out of ten.

Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good monitoring of infrastructure and applications. The capacity reservations is a great way to cut costs by up to 25% compared to USE-BASED PAYMENT.
    • "We like this searchability and availability of the data."
    • "The price could be lower but it is not a must."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting and software development firm and we have a lot of experience with Cloud solutions. In 2019 we start our Solutions in Microsoft Azure. The Azure Monitor is one of the products that we used for our solutions and client tools to monitor the relevant infrastructur, applications and problems. Azure Monitor is a usefull tool to have a dashboard with all metrics information over all using enviroments.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Monitor has made it much easier for us to constantly monitor the infrastructure and applications with possible problems. With regular use and maintenance, the emerging scope of evaluation data can also be clearly arranged.

Downtimes are no longer desirable these days and with Azure Monitor the undetected downtime has been reduced to a few minutes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the survey of surveillance data in real time and the useful dashboard.

We like the performance display of the applications and the ability to identify problems as well as resources on which they depend.

Service Health is very helpful in identifying existing service problems and leading to a quick solution.

What needs improvement?

Sending multidimensional metrics through diagnostic settings should be supported.

We have been working with Azure Monitor for the past year. In 2019 we starting in the Azure Cloud with our solutions.

Azure Monitor is very stable.

To this point, my impression is that it is scalable and it is a good tool to find infrastructure and application problems in realtime. We are in the B2B market and our clients are enterprise-level companies.

We do not generally use technical support. The linked help and built-in assistants can often provide immediate help. We look for tutorials and search the web using Google/Bing to find solutions to our problems if we have them.

In the Azure Monitor case, everything was self-explanatory and the additional online help was completely sufficient.

Prior to Azure Monitor, we did not work with any similar solutions.

I would say that the initial setup is somewhere between easy and complex. It starts a little bit easier with the wizards, but if you want to achieve the best performance then you have to know the product well.

Find infrastructure and application problems in realtime.

Using the capacity reservations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Azure Monitor is to look for the tutorial before starting. Then, to install and set up the monitor, use the wizards. The combination will help you to find the best ways to use the tools.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

IT Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Scalable and stable monitoring tool with data collection, analysis, and alerting features
    • "The feature that I found most valuable in Azure Monitor is its monitoring abilities. With Azure Monitor, you are able to monitor all of your cloud resources across multiple subscriptions in one dashboard and create solution-specific alerts that can trigger an email to the team responsible for that specific solution."
    • "Setting up this solution is complex. It's also missing the functionality of assigning alerts."

What is our primary use case?

My client used Azure Monitor to monitor the environment in Azure.

What is most valuable?

The ability to customize is endless. The majority of the data used for creating alerts does not require any agent installed, like so many other monitoring tools.

Azure Monitor is a monitoring solution that you should not miss out on the second you move workflows, solutions, infrastructure, and much more onto the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Azure Monitor is a complex product because you can use it to monitor different things, and that could be an area for improvement. Having templates by Microsoft added to it is another area for improvement.

What I'd like to be added in the next release of Azure Monitor is an overview of best practices from Microsoft and what they'd recommend users to monitor.

Assigning an alert is another feature I'd like to see in the next release of the solution. Currently, you can't assign an alert to anyone, if a server crashed and you need to assign that alert to a specific team, it's not possible.

Azure Monitor is a stable solution.

Azure Monitor is a scalable solution.

The initial setup for Azure Monitor is quite complex. If I would rate its setup from one to five, with one being complex and five being straightforward, I would rate it 1.5.

Azure Monitor is not too expensive. On a scale of one to five, with one being expensive and five being affordable and competitively priced, I'm giving the solution a four.

What other advice do I have?

I have not used the technical support for Azure Monitor.

Azure Monitor relies more on your ability to collect data and make the correct queries, while on-premises solutions rely on an agent and have many templates to choose from.

Azure Monitor is a nice monitoring tool, particularly if you have the skills. I'm rating it nine out of ten, I can't give it a ten because there's still something missing in it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant / Implementer
    Principal Application Developer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Provides an overview and high-level information of where problems lie; lacks sufficient user flow information
    • "Provides an overview and high-level information."
    • "Lacks information including details related to where problems lie."

What is our primary use case?

We all use Microsoft in the company and we are customers of Azure Monitor.

What is most valuable?

The product is very good for developers who want to integrate with Visual Studio. The solution provides an overview and high-level information on what hurdles to expect, and which endpoints have problems.

What needs improvement?

If Azure Monitor wants to compete with other APM products in the industry, it has to stitch together the information and user flow. It also needs to provide all the information, as you get with Stock Trace, including details related to where the call came from and where the problem lies. That's what we'd like to see. With a solution like Dynatrace, you have a clear path and you know which calls were made before and after the problem, and where the issue occurred. That feature is lacking in Azure Monitor.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution scales easily. It's not a big deal for Azure Monitor or any other APM product.

With Azure, implementation needs to be carried out in multiple places and you need to add other things to get the information and that's a tedious process. The Dynatrace setup is much easier.

We made a comparison between Dynatrace on-prem and Azure Monitor as to what each solution offers. Azure is great for developers wanting to integrate with Visual Studio but when it provides Azure monitoring information on the dashboard there is a lot of Google analytics. When it comes to the application performance monitoring information, Azure gives you the overview or high-level information regarding issues and which endpoints have a problem, but it doesn't give you anything in-depth at the matter level.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know what your requirements are. If you're able to put best practices in place, and need to add SBKs and turn on profiling at the meter level to look into the details, then Azure Monitor can help. But if that's not something you need, Monitor might not be the best solution for you.

I rate the solution six out of 10.

Pradeep Saxena - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technical Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Excellent security features, good technical support, and easy to use
    • "The solution works well overall. It's easy to implement and simple to use."
    • "I'd like the solution to do more around vulnerability assessment. It's lacking in the product right now."

What is our primary use case?

I use this service for log analytics of application and SQL database

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the quality of application and through this we are able to analyze application performance, it gives alerts and insights of the application which helps us so much

What is most valuable?

The solution offers excellent security features.

The product provides us with useful alerts that makes recommendations about the security and the platform.

The solution works well overall. It's easy to implement and simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about one year so far.

The solution is quite stable on the cloud. We haven't had issues. There have been no bugs, crashes or glitches. We've found it to be quite reliable so far.

The solution is quite scalable, especially on the cloud. If a company needs to expand, it can easily do so. There aren't constraints.

The technical support is excellent. I have premium support, so when I need assistance I'm able to easily get it.

The initial setup is not complex and is, in fact, quite straightforward. It's good.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number.

Basically, it's a service. I'm a partner of Microsoft. I'm using this solution for monitoring for my customers. I believe it's a good product for me, to monitor all the services across many clients.

The businesses I assist are all small or medium-sized companies.

I would recommend the solution. Any company can just buy the product and use it straight away. There is no need for a proof of concept.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Azure Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022