Azure Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Monitor is the #5 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Azure Monitor an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Azure Monitor is most commonly compared to Datadog: Azure Monitor vs Datadog. Azure Monitor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Azure Monitor?

Azure Monitor maximizes the availability and performance of your applications by delivering a comprehensive solution for collecting, analyzing, and acting on telemetry from your cloud and on-premises environments. It helps you understand how your applications are performing and proactively identifies issues affecting them and the resources they depend on.

Azure Monitor Customers

Rackspace, First Gas, Allscripts, ABB Group

Azure Monitor Video

Azure Monitor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Monitor pricing:
  • "Azure Monitor is a low-priced solution, which is why it would work best on small-scale projects."
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable."
  • "Azure Monitor is a competitively priced solution."
  • Azure Monitor Reviews

Khang Do - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Low-priced and stable tool for data export and visualization, but has very few features
    • "Data exporting is easy, and this tool works seamlessly with other solutions. It's a stable and low-priced solution."
    • "This solution has fewer features than some of its competitors, so adding more features to it would make it better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure Monitor as our alert system. We also use it for other types of measurement.

What is most valuable?

Currently, we use Power BI for our data visualization, and Azure Monitor is a very good fit with those cases. Another thing I like about the solution is that we can easily export the data, and the tool seamlessly works together with Datadog, though in terms of visualization in Azure Monitor, it's not as beautiful. It also doesn't have as many features as Power Bi, and this is why we were comparing it with Datadog.

We use Power BI because it has many features, so that's the main part we consider when selecting which tool to use. As for Datadog, people think of it as an application performance monitoring tool, rather than a data exporting tool, so they will still use Azure Monitor for exporting data. In some cases when the data analyst team needs some type of data, we can set that up for them on Azure Monitor, then consider using Datadog as a platform monitor.

What needs improvement?

Visualization in Azure Monitor needs improvement. Adding more features to it would also make the solution better.

My experience with Azure Monitor is six months.

Azure Monitor
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Azure Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Azure Monitor is a stable tool.

Azure Monitor is scalable, but the only downside to it is that it's not an out-of-the-box (OOTB) solution, so we cannot scale it to something outside of Azure ServiceNow. Currently, we use ServiceNow as a ticketing system, then use Datadog as the incident and alert system to trigger a ticket in ServiceNow, which we cannot do in Azure Monitor.

Azure Monitor is a low-priced solution.

We evaluated Datadog.

What other advice do I have?

I was comparing Datadog and Azure Monitor. We had a POC for Datadog and we were trying to test it with the trial account for our current data solution in Azure, so we tried to measure the differences between the two solutions.

Now we use Azure Monitor for our alerts and other measurements, but not as an application performance monitoring tool, so we're considering Datadog for that purpose. They made the final decision to use Datadog for application performance monitoring.

We are not in the setup phase for Azure Monitor yet, because we're still doing a POC for visibility, so we still have no idea on whether it'll be complex or straightforward to set up the tool.

As we are very small, we have not had the chance to contact tech support for this solution, plus we have a dedicated team from Microsoft who handles our questions and issues. Currently, we don't have an issue on Azure Monitor, but have raised issues about other Microsoft solutions, and the Microsoft dedicated team have been very supportive.

My advice to others looking into implementing Azure Monitor is that if they're working on small-scale projects and their projects fit Azure, then Azure Monitor will be the best solution for them, particularly because it is low-priced. The tool is also good when building a solution, e.g. they won't need to explore outside of it, but if they're building a multi-cloud solution, and they have a mix of on-premises and cloud, my suggestion is for them to use Datadog.

I will rate Azure Monitor a seven out of ten, because this solution has two things that we don't like, e.g. it doesn't tell you what and how it happened. It just says: "Hey, that happened", and "Go and check it". This is the reason why I don't recommend Azure Monitor, e.g. it's not a very informative tool, so we don't use it for our root cause investigation.

PINAR YILDIRAN - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Service Development at Zorlu Holding
    Robust, simple to set up, and offers great alerts
    • "It is a robust, stable product."
    • "Currently, it seems it's complicated to get the correct information in terms of what to do and how things work."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for only production monitoring mainly, however, we are trying to engage it with the quality flows for moving the code between platforms from dev to test environments, et cetera. We'll implement this procedure afterward.

What is most valuable?

The detailed logging is great. Detailed logging is the most impressive part. Also, we are observing our cost on the live environment. We know what kind of budget is required.

Also, we are getting all the problematic area details, so we can arrange ourselves according to the application development part.

The alert parts are great. It's crucial for our site, just getting the alerts on time.

It's easy to set up.

It is a robust, stable product.

The solution scales well.

What needs improvement?

We are sometimes confused about the details. We would like to have a flow in terms of how a new application should engage with Azure Monitor. We must understand: what is the most crucial part of our monitoring or support? We are not very good at it yet.

Currently, it seems it's complicated to get the correct information in terms of what to do and how things work. Maybe it would help if they offered some guidance or written guides. For example, we say that project manager should follow their quality issues before putting the application into production. It's so complicated from their side for the project managers. Some kind of simplification is required for people engaged in the platform.

Still, it's very new, and we will be gaining experience, and we may see much more substantial things in the future as we uncover more capabilities.

We've newly engaged with the product. We've only used it for a few months at this point.

The solution is very stable. It's robust. The performance is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. The reliability is high.

We'll continue with Azure Monitor.

It is a scalable solution. It's not a problem if you need to expand it. It reaches about 200 users right now.

We do have access support and get it when we need it. We are satisfied. They are okay.

We've also used New Relic. We moved away due to the cost.

The solution is straightforward and very simple. It's not complex at all. We're effortlessly engaging with it. We implemented ten applications in one week.

Only two people are needed for deployment and maintenance. They are admins.

We did not need to get the help of consultants or integrators. We handled the setup ourselves in-house.

The licenses require a subscription based on the log file sizing.

The pricing is better than, for example, New Relic. New Relic was too costly for us.

What other advice do I have?

Based on what we see right now, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. Maybe, as we use it more, we will rate it higher in the future. Currently, we are very new to using this product.

Azure Monitor
    December 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    George Nsude - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at Ultiblob Cloud Services
    Useful telemetry information, quick support, and high availability
    • "Azure Monitor is useful because of the useful application insights and telemetry, such as metrics and logs."
    • "Azure Monitor could improve the visualization aspect and integrate better with other third-party services."

What is our primary use case?

Azure Monitor can be used to monitor on-prem servers. You can install the agent on a server on-premise and you can pull out whatever telemetry you want. Additionally, you can install it on servers that are on the public cloud. It's similar to hybrid solutions. However, it depends on the use case. If there's a server on-premise, you deploy the server in AWS or GCP. If the server is on Azure itself, then it plugs directly in which is a hybrid setup.

Azure Monitor can be used if you are trying to look for how all the applications are tied together, such as application mapping. It helps to know what ports are open, what services are running on certain servers as one.

We are able to monitor CPU utilization for specific servers to determine if they are running specific types of workloads or high resource utilization type workloads. We use Azure Monitor to be able to see if the server gets to a certain threshold, such as 70 percent CPU utilization, then send an alert to the operation center or reliability center to go look at it. They could then expand or increase the CPU resource there to fix the issue. The tool is used for monitoring purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Monitor has helped our organization to have insights into issues and informs us before an issue becomes a very critical stage. It provides us a baseline on how to prevent serious issues in the future. You don't want it to get to 90 percent usage, if you catch it at 70 percent, it helps preserve the lifespan of that sever or allow your services to keep running efficiently or effectively. It keeps the availability of whatever service that you're running on that server, is in check. This is one of the most important parts of the service.

What is most valuable?

Azure Monitor is useful because of the useful application insights and telemetry, such as metrics and logs.

What needs improvement?

Azure Monitor could improve the visualization aspect and integrate better with other third-party services.

I have been using Azure Monitor for approximately four years.

Azure Monitor is a stable solution.

The scalability of Azure Monitor is very good because it is on a public platform.

We have approximately 500 users using this solution. We are extensively using Azure Monitor and we are always adding to it.

The support we have received from Microsoft has been good. Depending on the issue you might be facing, they could respond within less than 24 hours during business hours.

The initial setup of Azure Monitor is straightforward. The process took us approximately one hour.

We did the implementation of Azure Monitor in-house.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

I have evaluated Datadog before choosing Azure Monitor.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Monitor an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Lokesh Goyal - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer at Infosys
    MSP
    Straightforward to implement with good monitoring and good reliability
    • "You can scale the product."
    • "They need to work with other cloud providers - not just Azure."

What is our primary use case?

I use Azure Monitors and Azure monitoring to monitor our applications.

It is used for balancing how your servers are working and how your servers are responding to the end user in the form of your inputs and output responses, your gate input responses and post request, and how your server is working about the workload, et cetera. We can monitor all of this by using Azure monitoring tools. There are some application insights also that we can use to put in more detailed metrics as related to the logs and the failure of the servers, and downtime, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

We like the monitoring. We can look for the downtimes and look at the log to see whenever there is a crash and all the information around it.

It's very straightforward to set up.

The solution is stable.

You can scale the product.

The pricing is less than Dynatrace.

What needs improvement?

They need to work with other cloud providers - not just Azure. We'd like them to work with clouds such as GCP, AWS, and Alibaba, for example.

I've used the solution for quite a long while, however, recently we moved from on-premise to the cloud.

It's quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable.

I've never used technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

We are moving our applications to Azure Web Apps.

Earlier we used Dynatrace, however, it was quite costly.

The solution is very straightforward. It's very easy to implement.

We can use different services by Azure, such as virtual machines or Web Apps. These are all quite frequently deployed and it's not difficult.

We handle the initial setup in-house.

I'm not concerned about the pricing. Actually that is handled by a different team.

It is a pay-as-you-go service. We pay as needed.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. A centralized team handles that aspect.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the product eight out of ten.

Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Scalable and stable monitoring tool with data collection, analysis, and alerting features
    • "The feature that I found most valuable in Azure Monitor is its monitoring abilities. With Azure Monitor, you are able to monitor all of your cloud resources across multiple subscriptions in one dashboard and create solution-specific alerts that can trigger an email to the team responsible for that specific solution."
    • "Setting up this solution is complex. It's also missing the functionality of assigning alerts."

What is our primary use case?

My client used Azure Monitor to monitor the environment in Azure.

What is most valuable?

The ability to customize is endless. The majority of the data used for creating alerts does not require any agent installed, like so many other monitoring tools.

Azure Monitor is a monitoring solution that you should not miss out on the second you move workflows, solutions, infrastructure, and much more onto the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Azure Monitor is a complex product because you can use it to monitor different things, and that could be an area for improvement. Having templates by Microsoft added to it is another area for improvement.

What I'd like to be added in the next release of Azure Monitor is an overview of best practices from Microsoft and what they'd recommend users to monitor.

Assigning an alert is another feature I'd like to see in the next release of the solution. Currently, you can't assign an alert to anyone, if a server crashed and you need to assign that alert to a specific team, it's not possible.

Azure Monitor is a stable solution.

Azure Monitor is a scalable solution.

The initial setup for Azure Monitor is quite complex. If I would rate its setup from one to five, with one being complex and five being straightforward, I would rate it 1.5.

Azure Monitor is not too expensive. On a scale of one to five, with one being expensive and five being affordable and competitively priced, I'm giving the solution a four.

What other advice do I have?

I have not used the technical support for Azure Monitor.

Azure Monitor relies more on your ability to collect data and make the correct queries, while on-premises solutions rely on an agent and have many templates to choose from.

Azure Monitor is a nice monitoring tool, particularly if you have the skills. I'm rating it nine out of ten, I can't give it a ten because there's still something missing in it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant / Implementer
    Principal Application Developer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Provides an overview and high-level information of where problems lie; lacks sufficient user flow information
    • "Provides an overview and high-level information."
    • "Lacks information including details related to where problems lie."

What is our primary use case?

We all use Microsoft in the company and we are customers of Azure Monitor.

What is most valuable?

The product is very good for developers who want to integrate with Visual Studio. The solution provides an overview and high-level information on what hurdles to expect, and which endpoints have problems.

What needs improvement?

If Azure Monitor wants to compete with other APM products in the industry, it has to stitch together the information and user flow. It also needs to provide all the information, as you get with Stock Trace, including details related to where the call came from and where the problem lies. That's what we'd like to see. With a solution like Dynatrace, you have a clear path and you know which calls were made before and after the problem, and where the issue occurred. That feature is lacking in Azure Monitor.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution scales easily. It's not a big deal for Azure Monitor or any other APM product.

With Azure, implementation needs to be carried out in multiple places and you need to add other things to get the information and that's a tedious process. The Dynatrace setup is much easier.

We made a comparison between Dynatrace on-prem and Azure Monitor as to what each solution offers. Azure is great for developers wanting to integrate with Visual Studio but when it provides Azure monitoring information on the dashboard there is a lot of Google analytics. When it comes to the application performance monitoring information, Azure gives you the overview or high-level information regarding issues and which endpoints have a problem, but it doesn't give you anything in-depth at the matter level.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know what your requirements are. If you're able to put best practices in place, and need to add SBKs and turn on profiling at the meter level to look into the details, then Azure Monitor can help. But if that's not something you need, Monitor might not be the best solution for you.

I rate the solution six out of 10.

Vice President - Network Management at ADS Securities LLC
    A well-integrated solution with good troubleshooting features
    • "It has good troubleshooting features."
    • "If it is configured incorrectly, you can end up with a huge bill."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for basically everything. For example, we use it for infrastructure, application and resource monitoring.

What is most valuable?

It has good troubleshooting features like automated troubleshooting. It is also a flexible solution and a low-cost product. It includes all the features that are required for multi-cloud and public cloud.

What needs improvement?

If it is configured incorrectly, you can end up with a huge bill. Sometimes, a lot of data is collected and stored, and we may get charged for that kind of storage which is an issue.

We have been using this solution for more than two years and are currently using the latest version. It is a cloud-based solution and deployed on public cloud. Our cloud provider is Microsoft Azure.

It's stable and constantly updated with new features and functionalities.

It is scalable and can scale to any size. Five people use this solution in our organization, primarily administrators, DevOps and security personnel. It requires about two to three people for deployment and maintenance. We have dedicated people from the monitoring team that do this. We plan to expand the number of users eventually.

The technical support is quite responsive. Microsoft support is pretty good. I rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was straightforward and not complex. Deployment took a couple of days, and it was deployed in-house.

We have seen an ROI. It is a helpful tool and provides proactive information about the infrastructure.

We did not evaluate other options. Azure Monitor is one of the most non-native tools from Microsoft, and it's well-integrated.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. I recommend this solution to others. They should try Azure Monitor to see if it fits their requirements gradually. Additionally, there isn't a lot of upfront investment required to set it up.

The configuration could be improved in the next release because it takes a little time. However, they regularly update their scalability and features.

Pradeep Saxena - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technical Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Excellent security features, good technical support, and easy to use
    • "The solution works well overall. It's easy to implement and simple to use."
    • "I'd like the solution to do more around vulnerability assessment. It's lacking in the product right now."

What is our primary use case?

I use this service for log analytics of application and SQL database

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the quality of application and through this we are able to analyze application performance, it gives alerts and insights of the application which helps us so much

What is most valuable?

The solution offers excellent security features.

The product provides us with useful alerts that makes recommendations about the security and the platform.

The solution works well overall. It's easy to implement and simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about one year so far.

The solution is quite stable on the cloud. We haven't had issues. There have been no bugs, crashes or glitches. We've found it to be quite reliable so far.

The solution is quite scalable, especially on the cloud. If a company needs to expand, it can easily do so. There aren't constraints.

The technical support is excellent. I have premium support, so when I need assistance I'm able to easily get it.

The initial setup is not complex and is, in fact, quite straightforward. It's good.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number.

Basically, it's a service. I'm a partner of Microsoft. I'm using this solution for monitoring for my customers. I believe it's a good product for me, to monitor all the services across many clients.

The businesses I assist are all small or medium-sized companies.

I would recommend the solution. Any company can just buy the product and use it straight away. There is no need for a proof of concept.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Azure Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022