We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Appian OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Appian is #3 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, #5 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software, #6 ranked solution in BPM Software, and #7 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. PeerSpot users give Appian an average rating of 8 out of 10. Appian is most commonly compared to Pega BPM: Appian vs Pega BPM. Appian is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Appian?
With Appian, your organization can rapidly build, deploy, use, and scale problem-solving apps. And with the flexibility of on-premises and cloud portability, you'll always address your unique challenges the way that makes the most sense for you.

Appian was previously known as Appian BPM, Appian AnyWhere, Appian Enterprise BPMS.

Appian Buyer's Guide

Download the Appian Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Appian Customers
Hansard Global plc, Punch Taverns, Pirelli, Crawford & Company, EDP Renewables, Queensland Government Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning (, Bank of Tennessee
Appian Video

Archived Appian Reviews (more than two years old)

Net Appian Developer with 11-50 employees
Faster development time with more robustness when compared to traditional coding

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the integration of systems and data in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Development time is much faster than traditional coding solutions, and it is more robust.

What is most valuable?

The Cloud offering is a nice feature. The process models provide self-documenting systems.

What needs improvement?

They are continuously improving the platform. Three months ago I would have suggested they make smart service creation easier (using their API to create components), but they have done that. My only request is that they decrease the license costs.

We have been using this solution for one year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The Cloud offering is a nice feature.

The process models provide self-documenting systems.

What needs improvement?

My only request is that they decrease the license costs.

We have been using this solution for one year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product.

NanfaKumswa
CTO/Owner at AVAILSYS LTD
Helps speed our time to solution with less demand for resources
  • "Since implementing we have had a faster time to solution, with fewer resources needed."
  • "We would like to have more granular control for interface styling."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is Business Process Automation.  Appian is good for enterprise process automation as well as general purpose low code development.

How has it helped my organization?

Since implementing, we have had a faster time to solution, with fewer resources needed per project compared to other tools.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Appian are the Low Code, robust Process Design, Run-time Management, Deployment, Interfaces, and Mobility.  The business rules capability are advanced and the integration capabilities are second to none.  We also find security to be more robust than pretty much all other application platforms we've worked with in the past.

What needs improvement?

We've used a good number of Business Process Automation tools in the past and none of them have given the value for money we are seeing with Appian.  Appian enables us spend the least time designing beautiful and robust interfaces that automatically render in Web browsers and native mobile apps securely without any additional effort.  With very little learning curve, an Appian designer will start designing very complex and dynamic interfaces that consume data from everywhere.

We would however like to have more granular control for interface styling in future releases.  Appian releases updates to the platform every quarter.

We have been using this solution for one year.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a solution partner to Appian.
Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Uriel Zamora
Technical Service Advisor at PPG Industries
Quickly develop applications for end-to-end process automation
  • "Process culture is making noise inside the organization because now, everybody knows that their time is being monitored."
  • "The documentation needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because End-to-End Process Automation in Appian is robust and scalable. Thousands of process instances can run concurrently. Apart from that, development is fast for process and workflow automation when the developers are experienced, and the code can be reusable.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped in creating a process platform for the bank because it can handle cross-department processes. Process culture is making noise inside the organization because now, everybody knows that their time is being monitored.

What is most valuable?

This solution provides for fast development with Quick Apps and simple CRUD user interfaces.

Some of the other features are:

• Fast development with SAIL
  • Beautiful user interfaces that are limited in customization but have the benefit of fewer problems with usability
  • Having data in memory using KDB technology is also a good idea

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better monitoring for business events in synchronization with business rules.

There should be a better development for Cases, because it is not really a capability of the product. You have to develop the behavior.

The documentation needs to be improved.

One year.

This is a scalable solution that can run thousands of processes concurrently and fault tolerant

I used IBM BPM 8.5.7 prior to adopting this solution.

The cost depends on the number of users, although I recommend taking an unlimited license.

We evaluated both Pega and Activiti before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

In general, Appian is a great competitor in process automation. However, in my opinion, compared with IBM they lack documentation, development methodology guides (scrum is not enough for BPM adoption) organizational change management is a prerequisite for any BPM journey, real examples like IBM Redbooks, the academy is great I think that more real business cases would be better, webinars etc

In my opinion, it is not good to let developers design their own business database. Normally, they are not experienced at this. Perhaps for mid-size business, there is no problem, but when you have a big business it gets complicated and a database designer is required.

BPM Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Supports back-end workflows but not recommended for the front-end
  • "Another advantage of this tool is its reports and records. You can maintain dashboards, layouts. If you with a Java solution, it takes six months time. If you use this tool, you can finish in one or one and a half months' time."
  • "There is a version coming out every six months with performance improvements."

What is our primary use case?

Appian is basically for workflows and workflow approval.

In a banking scenario, suppose as a customer, I apply for a loan. That loan needs approval from a manager. In addition, I will need to provide documents like my Social Security, personal details, company details. There are levels of information that can be maintained in the back-end. If you are the manager you can check that I provided all this information and, based on the criteria, you can approve a loan of 300 or a loan of 400, all within the back-end.

How has it helped my organization?

An advantage of this tool is the area of workflows, mainly for back-end users. It is not for end-users.

Another advantage of this tool is its reports and records. You can maintain dashboards, layouts. If you with a Java solution, it takes six months time. If you use this tool, you can finish in one or one and a half months' time. It took us six and a half months time to develop a small application in Java, but within this tool, we developed it in one and a half months, including the records and reports.

Also, there is a version coming out every six months with performance improvements.

What is most valuable?

You can develop a back-end UI and back-end reports using this tool.

What needs improvement?

It needs a better UI. There has been a lot of development in version 18.1 but we still need more for it to compete with other BPM tools.

Stability depends on the development. If you do proper development the stability is okay. Whenever you are getting data from the database, you have to write more code rules, more views. It will take a long time. Going forward, you can have performance issues. Initially, it works fine, but going forward, you are hitting performance issues whenever you create the views to get the data from the database. That's what I found in my previous project.

I used Oracle BPM. I switched because, as a developer, the market was becoming completely saturated and I was not getting any jobs.

The setup is straightforward. No complaints, no issues.

I hear the price was hiked a little recently. Initially, it was low. But it's okay compared to Pega.

IBM has Business Process Manager, Oracle has its BPM as well.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for back-end solutions, this tool is 100 percent a fit. So Appian BPM for the back-end and, if you want a front-end, I don't suggest using Appian BPM. The Appian back-end is only for internal users, not for end-users. For end-users, you can use Java.

it_user865488
    Project Manager and Technical Leader at Exus
    Low-code characteristics lead to fast development cycles
    • "Call Web Service Smart Service - Web service integrations with other systems are super simple and fast to create, supported by low code menus."
    • "Write to Data Store Entity - Saving data in SQL databases is done easily using entities. Entities (CDTs in Appian terminology) define relationships and target schema tables via XSD files."
    • "Even though the company has made great improvements in online documentation, featuring rich material which includes case studies of real-life use cases, the material could definitely be better in quality and coverage of use cases."
    • "A point of improvement would be the SAIL forms. The built-in tool used to generate forms does not have debugging support (to view local variables as they change on live preview, and step-by-step valuation) which is a big drawback for form development. Moreover, the script language used to build SAIL forms does not support inheritance or lambda expressions (functions as arguments of other functions), which makes the code base more verbose."

What is most valuable?

• Process Designer - If properly used, the executable flow itself helps you understand the business flow.
    • Call Web Service Smart Service - Web service integrations with other systems are super simple and fast to create, supported by low code menus.
    • Write to Data Store Entity - Saving data in SQL databases is done easily using entities. Entities (CDTs in Appian terminology) define relationships and target schema tables via XSD files.
    • SAIL interfaces - Writing code that creates forms requires coding skills in Appian SAIL, a proprietary language. The forms are mobile-ready and components can be reused in forms and reports.

What needs improvement?

Another point of improvement would be the SAIL forms. The built-in tool used to generate forms does not have debugging support (to view local variables as they change on live preview, and step-by-step valuation) which is a big drawback for form development. Moreover, the script language used to build SAIL forms does not support inheritance or lambda expressions (functions as arguments of other functions), which makes the code base more verbose.

Last but not least, I am missing a team collaboration solution. Only one person at a time can work on objects. This is not a big issue really, because, if you follow the Appian best practices, all objects are pieces that fit single-person workloads.

The platform is super stable in BPMS and rules execution.

Issues can appear in the following ways, related to development and design choices:

1. The underlying database is facing locking or performance issues. The instability of the database is very quickly propagated in the flows and forms executions (Appian engines/application server) and the platform can become non-responsive, experience deteriorating performance, or create numerous exceptions in running processes.
    2. If the platform is used for data-intensive tasks, especially in deep nesting of data manipulation rules, the performance can quickly be affected and may also lead to exceptions.
    3. If you don't follow the Appian best practices, and your application is scaling up, then on pick times the performance will be bad or exceptions may occur. This situation can be avoided by identifying potential issues by running the health check diagnostic tool.

Scalability is very good, but there are limits imposed by the underlying hardware and the JVM's heap size. Notably, even with a configuration having multiple application servers, the Appian engines installation is always one. However, the capacity of the topologies is very high and will not be an issue for companies with up to 10 applications per installation and up to 4000 active users per day. Appian provides a sizing document and Professional Services to help with decisions on the subject.

Technical support is considered good, and various levels of support can be selected.

Prior to Appian, there was a Java-based BPMS solution, but Appian was valued for its low-code characteristics that lead to the fastest development cycles in the industry. It was also valued for the scalability, the flexibility on development, the level of support, and the increasing developer base.

Appian has two offerings for its customers, on-premise and Appian Cloud (PaaS). In the case of PaaS, setup is very minimal and straightforward. For the on-premise product, the initial setup is pretty straightforward in most cases but requires a level of systems expertise, especially if you are setting up a high-performance production machine.

After some initial use, tuning the database is advisable. For mission-critical applications, an initial round of stress testing may be a good idea for identifying potential bottlenecks in your applications. Setup can also be tricky if you try to migrate from very old installations which used a different topology. If this is your situation, you may need support from Appian Professional Services.

The alternative we evaluated was Pega BPM.

What other advice do I have?

If licensing cost is not a problem, then Appian is definitely a go, either as a stand-alone platform or with the PaaS offering in the Appian Cloud. When it comes to speed of development, system integrations, BMPS workflows, and digitization of manual processes, Appian is possibly the best choice there is.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Gold partner.
    it_user633939
     IT senior consultant
    Defines activity ownership, streamlining productivity; we can also see process bottlenecks
    • "The Application Designer is very user friendly. There are also lot of plug-ins that you can use and, for the most part, they are free."
    • "The reporting is not as good as in similar products. They could also improve the dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

We use for this solution for organizing and distribution for supermarkets, for coordinating the disposition of expired goods in the supermarket.

It is also used internally, to structure the budget; also for task scheduling and tracking.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the organization by defining activity ownership. When we give ownership to the right user, processes go very fast. Before it wasn't very good. It was slow. Now, with this application, you can see the bottlenecks, where the business processes is slow. There is a lot of information from it.

What is most valuable?

• I think the interface is a good feature because it's simple to use and you can quickly develop the users' interface.
    • The Application Designer is also very user friendly.
    • There are a lot of plug-ins that you can use and, for the most part, they are free.

What needs improvement?

Something they need to improve is, it is difficult to catch errors. When there's an administration error you can't catch the error, and it is there until the administrator addresses it. This is a problem because if you are the developer, you try to catch the error but you can't. The process will stop. There is a workaround but it would be pretty cool of you could catch the error before.

Another limit is the reporting. The reporting is not as good as in similar products. They need to improve on that side.

They could also improve the dashboards.

No issues with stability.

We haven't encountered any issues because we use small processes. We have not had any problem with the amount of work or data it can handle.

Their technical support is good. There is a community which will, for the most part, answer problems. But if you have a big problem and you need support from Appian, they are a little slow, but they are good; they provide good answers.

We didn't have previous solution.

No it was not complicated. It was simple.

It's good value for the price.

I only saw demos of Pegasystems and IBM. We selected between Pega, IBM, and Appian. Appian was cheaper than the others when we saw these three solutions. As of now, I don't know about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to use the product in the correct way and don't ask the product to make up for experience in BPM.

it_user577641
    Regional Sales Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Helps ensure accountability throughout the organization, knowing a task is assigned and completed
    • "What stands out are the speed of the product, the quick, easy development, and visual diagramming."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian for HR onboarding and a couple other places in the company.

In particular we use it for workflows in HR onboarding. Any time that we're hiring new people, we have an application that assigns different tasks for computers, for making sure they're set up on insurance, their emails; all of that stuff is assigned to them prior to starting to work.

How has it helped my organization?

Accountability is probably the most affected. Knowing that a task has been assigned, that you're following a specific process, and that the task has been completed, gives you that accountability throughout the organization. It enables us to know that, when we bring new people on, they're ready to start right away.

What is most valuable?

It's being able to manage the workflow, to assign tasks, to have notification that a task has been completed. It's basically what any BPM solution is going to provide.

What stands out are the

• speed of the product
      • quick, easy development
      • visual diagramming.

Those are the features that really stand out.

What needs improvement?

I don't know that I would have any specific areas for improvement.

It's very stable. We have not experienced any problems with it.

Considering that organizations like the US Army use it, worldwide, globally, it's able to scale up from supporting an organization of 50 to an organization of thousands. There is no issue with scalability.

I have not had any reason to call tech support, but my peers that I've talked with, who have interfaced with tech support, say it's fast, it's responsive. They get the issues resolved immediately.

Again, we haven't had any problems with tech support whatsoever.

We had used a homegrown solution. We do custom development, software development work, or that was our legacy. Maintaining that homegrown solution over time just proved to be ineffective. Appian provided a much better solution at a lower overall cost.

It's very straightforward. If you've got somebody who comes from a workflow background they're going to understand it, and find it very simple. It's very intuitive. We didn't have any issues in setting it up or getting started with it.

I think that most companies do not do a good job of really looking at the return on investment. They typically do not have a good feel for what their costs are, going in, of manual processes or of a homegrown solution they've developed.

Being able to calculate an ROI, I've seen that to be very difficult for most clients that I've dealt with. I think that's an element that's missing a lot in technology today. Make sure you evaluate your total cost before you're ready to make a decision.

I think that if somebody is really serious at looking at business value, then by all means, the product is well worth the value. You get representative business value for the price that you pay for the product, and for the implementation of the product.

We evaluated several different options. Pegasystems is one. I'm not sure about K2, but there were multiple options available. If you look at the industry reports there are numerous solutions listed. We felt that Appian, for the value and for the ease of use, and for the mobile capability, was the best solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it a nine out 10. I don't think any product is ever perfect, but I think that Appian is one of them that comes closest to that mark. When you consider the capability, what it can do, consider the price, consider the different advantages that it has, I think it's a superior product. It's one that we use. We're very pleased with it. Most customers that I've talked to have been very, very pleased with their selection.

I understand that you can go with an off-the-shelf product that's going to get you 70%, maybe 75% of the capability you want. You're going to have to tweak it and do some elements of custom work that are most likely going to drive the cost up. You need to consider that, versus a product like Appian that allows you to really tailor the solution to fit your particular environment. I think that's the best advice I would give somebody, is to make sure that you're looking at it honestly before you go down that road.

it_user629871
      IT Advisor to Banks at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      We are creating workflows in an agile manner
      • "The tech support is quite good."
      • "The agile manner that we require to create our workflows. This is probably the most critical part of our solution and the time it takes to start processing the solution."
      • "It needs better integration with our existing application ecosystem."
      • "We would like to see more reduced latency. We would like to make sure that the scale-out factor will be much more as workloads come in."

What is our primary use case?

It is mostly for our API, BPM, workflows, web services, and enterprise integration.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been focusing on building all of our digital and mobile applications with a lot of earlier code, as the platforms were legacy. We had to write code from scratch, because it was not possible to use the existing code. For most of our digital applications, like payment systems or digital payments, the use case was for our mobile apps.

What is most valuable?

The agile manner that we require to create our workflows. This is probably the most critical part of our solution and the time it takes to start processing the solution. This is also quite fast. It is important for us to develop the solution in an agile manner.

What needs improvement?

Newer features, especially in terms scalability. It has to become more scalable than what it is today. It is not a issue today. However, going forward, due to the growth in the number of users and the workloads, it will have to be more scalable.

It needs better integration with our existing application ecosystem.

I would like more connectors for calls and integration features. Typically in enterprise banks, we have 200 to 300 plus applications. Training and documentation on how to integrate this would help.

We would like to see more reduced latency. We would like to make sure that the scale-out factor will be much more as workloads come in. The scale-out should be improved as we grapple with more workloads and users.

We feel the latency could further be reduced, but the access time for the throughput time or the general access time could be further reduced.

We do not see any issues with overall scalability right now.

The tech support is quite good. Maybe it is not as good as large enterprise vendors, especially when it comes to more technical troubleshooting. Overall, the response is okay, since most problems are solved. Though, if there are major issues, then break times possibly increase. If they could focus on that, it would be helpful.

We have been using tools from IBM, Oracle, CA (formerly known as Computer Associates), so mostly these enterprise tools at the same time are very complex and not very agile. The learning curve is much more than we found with the learning curve for Appian, so it is a trade-off between the agility of using a tool versus the complexity. To a large extent, more functions can be serviced through the tools previously mentioned from a enterprise perspective. However, most of the functions that we have are requirements for our services that we run through Appian, therefore we see this coverage as okay

It was between straightforward and complex. There were a few issues in terms of configurations, but overall, getting the system started was quite fast. There were a few configuration parameters that we had to change, for which, it took us a couple of days more than expected. The way to start this tool is quite quick, so we did not face any issues with it.

Product pricing compared to some of the earlier vendors, like IBM, CA, and Oracle, is quite well-priced. Although, we do feel that as we increase the number of users and the workload increases, we will have to spend more.

We will have to have a dialogue or negotiate a price for future use. To start with, it is a reasonable price. As we go ahead, we will have to make sure the costs are inline with our expectations as we grow our user base and workloads.

In terms of licensing, instead of user-based, you should go more on a workload basis. It could be helpful, since we feel that we will be growing the workload part of it more than the user part of it. I think they give us a good price on workload characteristics and it would be a better option.

We already had IBM. We evaluated Oracle and CA. We found this product to be good price-wise as well as quick implementation-wise. From IBM, at that time, we evaluated WebSphere, APM Manager, and Workflow Manager. So, it was centered around their WebSphere, Lombardi product.

What other advice do I have?

How to integrate with their application ecosystem is probably a priority. Once you get a product like this, it is important to have that integration upfront rather than later on to work on. Otherwise, you will grapple with a very complex application ecosystem for large enterprises. These features must be provided for, understood, and the expectations of the enterprise integration bus, service, or whatever you do should be well covered by the solution, so you do not face problems down the road.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We make sure it is a recognized and credible name/vendor. We typically look at the top four or five vendors on independent research ratings, then we form a committee so we do not take personal decisions. We have a committee, we arrive at a consensus, then we put up our selection criteria. This revolves around the technical aspects, the credibility of the vendor, the coverage of the vendor, and the cost as well as where do we see the future roadmap of the vendor.

Team leader at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      It ​reduces development time in half making us more efficient
      • "It ​reduces development time in half making us more efficient."
      • "There is no need to worry about vulnerabilities in the system, because Appian built a secure system​."
      • "It would be nice if you could create your own customized apps when the business needed them.​"
      • "​Appian is easy to set up, but JBoss is complex. JBoss is the application server for running Appian."

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces development time in half making us more efficient.

What is most valuable?

• It is fast and efficient.
      • Mobile

All enterprises focus on these features in their work.

What needs improvement?

• Apps development
      • BPM

Three to five years.

No issues.

No issues.

I would rate technical support as an eight out of 10.

I previously used .NET Framework. I switched because I think Appian is better for enterprise.

There are two solutions depending on your situation: an on-premise solution and a cloud solution.

Oracle BPM. Appian was better.

What other advice do I have?

It is more efficient and reduces time. There is no need to worry about vulnerabilities in the system, because Appian built a secure system.

SAIL enables creation of complex, responsive UIs, including UI logic and appearance
      • "SAIL (Self-Assembling Interface Layer), a scripting language provided by Appian. It is the equivalent of JS and CSS. It allows creation of complex UIs which are also responsive. With SAIL, we have a single language for both the UI logic and its appearance. UI components can be built as reusable components and used in multiple UI interfaces."
      • "Process Modeling enables creation of business process workflows. You can create complex business workflows in a visual manner, and it is also easy to debug/monitor."
      • "Offline capabilities and responsive capabilities could be better. The mobility features of Appian platform are still evolving."
      • "Native mobile capabilities or hybrid mobile app capabilities are very limited. Things like offline sync, offline storage, access to smartphone device features, etc. are not supported by the Appian platform yet."

What needs improvement?

Native mobile capabilities or hybrid mobile app capabilities are very limited. Things like offline sync, offline storage, access to smartphone device features, etc. are not supported by the Appian platform yet.

Three to five years.

Excellent.

It is Java based, can be deployed in JBoss or WebSphere container.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it eight out of 10. It certainly is the best for enterprise application development.

it_user747780
      Vice President - Appian Lead Designer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      • "Appian is a very low code platform. It's very easy to learn and use."
      • "It has it's own built-in UI components and doesn't provide much flexibility to customize or extend those components."

What is most valuable?

Appian is a very low code platform. It's very easy to learn and use. It provides a lot of built-in functionality to address common business use cases, like user and task management, record and data management, and robust reporting on both business and process data.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian has greatly improved how quickly we are able to build and deploy technology solutions for our business partners. We're delivering a lot more than we used to and at a lower cost. It has proved especially useful for building regulatory applications, which are usually very time-sensitive and have to be delivered very quickly with hard deadlines.

What needs improvement?

The main challenge with Appian has been our inability to customize the user interface. It has it's own built-in UI components and doesn't provide much flexibility to customize or extend those components. This is becoming less of a problem in newer releases of the product as they continue to enhance their UI capabilities and introduce new slick features, such as sites, billboards and embedded interfaces.

More than four years experience spanning development, deployment, and administration for versions 7.4 through 17.3.

No, we have not encountered any significant stability issues with Appian. The product is very stable across all its different versions.

We have been able to easily scale Appian to meet our needs and haven't hit an upper threshold yet. We've encountered performances issues now and then, but we have always managed to resolve them through code, configuration changes, or additional hardware.

Appian technical support is generally good, especially for high severity issues. They are usually able to quickly bring in experts who can be very helpful in quickly narrowing down issues and driving resolution.

We wanted to consolidate multiple existing legacy desktop applications into one unified web-based platform and Appian was one of the best options available.

Pretty straightforward, since we had people with the necessary foundational system administration background, and Appian was very engaged early on to help us get up and running.

I don't have enough exposure to pricing and licensing.

Oracle BPM, Pega, and D+H.

What other advice do I have?

Excellent BPM tool: The best among all the ones I've tried.

To get the most out of the product, put the right team in place first. Follow the Appian recommended setup/development/initial rollout best practices and do things right the first time.

Gregg Lipson
      Senior Business Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has greatly improved efficiency and effectiveness as well as making continuous improvement possible
      • "It has created executable requirements and speeds up the SDLC process greatly."
      • "Form creation and SAIL proprietary language still basically require programming. The claim a BA type can do everything is hogwash."

What is most valuable?

Being able to model requirements in BPMN 2.0, get agreement from business and IT, and then have Appian BPMN 2.0 compliant engine execute the diagram. This has created executable requirements and speeds up the SDLC process greatly.

How has it helped my organization?

• Transparency of process flows, including number of instances of the process in-flight
      • Identification of bottlenecks,
      • Average time to completion of tasks and process, etc.

The employee onboarding process went from a mass email saying who is arriving for their first day, and just hoping all the things necessary got set up: phone, computer, badge, desk, login accounts, role specific access and accounts, etc. The Appian platform took from a blind mass email to full transparency with reporting, and greatly improved efficiency and effectiveness, as well as making continuous improvement possible.

What needs improvement?

Form creation and SAIL proprietary language still basically require programming. The claim a BA type can do everything is hogwash. They should be honest and say a developer is needed for web service integrations, etc. and complex forms; and a BA type can do the rest - requirements, architecture (collaborating with architects), design, process model, testing, deployment, and support. That is incredible powerful, but to say a developer is never needed is a lie.

Two years.

Very few.

Poor. Very helpful at times and willing to go above and beyond, but very expensive, so overall poor.

Yes. IBM, Oracle, and Activiti open source. A different organization I was with selected Appian.

Complex: Data strategy and authorization to push data to the cloud was a big hurdle. How organizational data is going to be pushed to Appian, updated by Appian, and pushed back to the organization with or without approval steps needs to be planned and executed strategically.

It is expensive, but powerful. I would recommend comparing against cheaper licensing products and open source.

What other advice do I have?

Have 20% of a programmer as a resource, plan the round trip data integration, and get all approvals needed.

it_user735246
      Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Enables quick development of code resulting in quicker turnaround time for automation
      • "Low code development: Code can be developed pretty quickly which leads to less turnaround time for automation of business processes."
      • "Architecture of product and scalabiility issues."

What is most valuable?

• Low code development: Code can be developed pretty quickly which leads to less turnaround time for automation of business processes.
      • Ease of use: Any normal developer can pick up the development techniques pretty quickly.
      • Regular updates: There are regular updates, as per market and as per client's requirements.
      • Professional support: If you are stuck somewhere during the entire project lifecycle, the support team is ready anytime, so that timelines are met properly.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped in automating a lot of flows in a lot less time, which has actually reduced manual errors and enhanced quality assurance.

What needs improvement?

Architecture of product and scalabiility issues.

For three years, from version 7.8 to 17.2.

Not much, but sometimes very minor issues on tier 0, 1 applications.

Not much, but again if high usage is not anticipated while gathering the requirements, the tool becomes slow sometimes, which is not good for tier 0 applications.

10 out of 10.

No, I didn't use any.

It's straightforward, like any other normal tool installation or deployment.

I have no idea about this, as my senior management has been dealing with this.

Not before; but after I evaluated Pega.

What other advice do I have?

It's good to implement this product for automation.

Randy Dillon
      Digital Transformation Architect/Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      BPM done right is a huge value proposition for almost any company, and with Appian's low code rapid development model, the ROI can be huge.
      • "Rapid development with low-code makes it easier to quickly get apps implemented and the time to break-even and ROI is much faster."
      • "The biggest areas of improvement would be in facilitating team development, DevOps, and integration with typical tools used in enterprise development (Jenkins, Subversion, etc.)"

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Appian are:

1. Rapid development with low-code makes it easier to quickly get apps implemented and the time to break-even and ROI is much faster.
      2. Easy to build case management, with Records and Related Actions facilitates case or document-based applications instead of, or along with, process-based applications, opening up whole new types of applications for Appian development.
      3. Built from the ground up with a cohesive architecture to be the leading social, collaborative, most usable BPM platform. This makes the product feel integrated and intuitive to use, rather than having to seemingly (or actually, in the case of some competitors) go to a separate product to do certain things. In the end, it shortens implementation time and opens up the product to less technical designers because it's easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

Most notably, it allows us to quickly automate processes and case management work, often cutting the manual time required in half or more. End to end time is also noticeably improved, as is the user experience of the people using the new applications.

More than four years.

Stability problems are usually only experienced when architecture and development are done by people who don't know the tool and its best practices very well.

Scalability problems are usually only experienced when architecture and development are done by people who don't know the tool and its best practices very well.

Technical support is usually pretty good for the easier problems.

Really complex issues tend to take too long to resolve, but many times that's only because there isn't the experienced person to take it from providing information to actually closing out the fix. If a problem results in a development fix, that is typically pretty quick, too.

I personally used Lombardi and IBM BPM prior to Appian.

The main reasons for switching were:

1. Too many off-shore consultants taking all the consulting work, developing shoddy apps while driving down the rates, and generally giving BPM and the product a bad name.
      2. IBM steadily providing release after release that introduced more bugs and making the tool itself less usable.
      3. Appian was clearly becoming the better product and their market share was on the hockey stick slope up, whereas IBM's was falling quickly.

I don't typically get involved in the server setup, but my understanding is that it's relatively easy, especially compared to IBM's.

I'd advise to not just look at the cost, but the overall value of BPM and of Appian specifically.

BPM done right is a huge value proposition for almost any company, and with Appian's low code rapid development model, the ROI can be huge, while the break-even point should be accelerated tremendously.

This assumes that you use qualified and knowledgeable resources to do the work, and they don't come cheap either, but in the end, they are less expensive and provide more value than cheaper resources who are not qualified.

See above regarding Lombardi/IBM BPM. They are the other market leader, but while Appian is trending upwards, IBM is on its way down.

What other advice do I have?

See above under the pricing/licensing advice, but I can't emphasize enough to make sure you get quality resources who really know the product well. They will understand how to best use Appian to drive the huge ROI that should come from a successful implementation. I also recommend that all technical resources, from the Architect/Team Lead down to the most junior, have a business focus along with their technical knowledge. Only by understanding how the business wants to use the technology can they make good on the promise of BPM and Appian

Tech Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
      Best user-focused Business Process Management and Automation

Valuable Features

Robust forms builder that allows a developer to build once and the deploy to all browser & native iOS and Android apps automatically.

Room for Improvement

The UI of the application has been completely overhauled within the past couple years, but the tools for developing the new interface have not yet been updated.

Use of Solution

4 years

Customer Service: Excellent. Smaller companies like Appian tend to value customer service as a competitive advantage. Technical Support: Excellent.

Valuable Features

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

4 years

Excellent.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I previously worked for the vendor and now perform Appian consulting services independently.
      Download our free Appian Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.