IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Workfront OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Workfront is #12 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. PeerSpot users give Workfront an average rating of 10 out of 10. Workfront is most commonly compared to Jira: Workfront vs Jira. Workfront is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Project Management Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Workfront?

AtTask is a cloud-based Enterprise Work Management solution that helps marketing, IT, and other enterprise teams conquer the chaos of excessive email, redundant status meetings, and disconnected tools. Unlike other tools, AtTask Enterprise Work Cloud is a centralized, easy-to-adopt solution for managing and collaborating on all types of work through the entire work lifecycle, which improves team productivity and executive visibility. AtTask is trusted by thousands of global enterprises, like Adobe, Cisco, HBO, House of Blues, REI, Trek, Schneider Electric, and ATB Financial. To learn more, visit www.AtTask.com or follow us on Twitter @AtTask.

Workfront was previously known as AtTask.

Workfront Customers

Advance Autoparts, Emerson, Covario, Cisco, Caroma, TREK, Sapient Nitro, ATB, LexisNexis, CarPhone Warehouse

Workfront Video

Archived Workfront Reviews (more than two years old)

Quality and Office Manager at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Easy sharing within the organization of data and information about running projects

What is most valuable?

Timesheets Planning Real time KPI control No need for ad hoc reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy sharing within our organization of data and information about running projects.

What needs improvement?

Available options for charts in reports Changing values (hour costs, billing rates, etc.) while the project is still running the effects previously calculated in the project financial data.

Seven years.
Project Management Software
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Workfront, Atlassian, Wrike and others in Project Management Software. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Not relevant.

No. We have 20 users and up to 40 projects/year.

Good. Though it is not so easy to obtain your specific answer, but in the end, you are directed to the right solution.

Rather complex. Too many ways to get to the same result.

What other advice do I have?

Start simple. Make every user see the same views at least in the beginning.
Traffic Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Centralised communication and document storage has helped improve efficiency, and post-project reporting has helped refine processes, although reporting using charts could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Great software that is customisable and easy to use.

Regularly updated with new or improved features.

It is extremely easy to use, and the ability to create custom fields and forms enables me to track the metrics that matter to me.

Great customer support.

How has it helped my organization?

We have developed an end-to end workflow from client request for scoping, to raising SOWs, to project delivery and post-project reporting.

Visibility of project progress has been dramatically improved across teams. Centralised communication and document storage has helped improve efficiency, and post-project reporting has helped refine processes.

What needs improvement?

Reporting using charts could be improved - I currently export a few complex reports to Excel in order to create the charts that I need.

Responsiveness of the website could be better at times, but a new data centre should be online soon and should help.

15 months

We had an onsite consultant oversee deployment for three weeks, and this was very successful. I recommend process mapping prior to setting up the system.

No, we did not encounter any issues with stability. Once or twice there have been issues, but over an 18 month period this is better than expected.

No, we did not encounter any issues with scalability. We have expanded from 50 to 80 users in EMEA, but have 600 globally.

We have Platinum support, and are very well looked after. Our customer service representative is very friendly and amenable.

We have Platinum support, and are very well looked after. I have a weekly call booked with support to pick any ongoing issues, as well as being able log issues as they occur.

We had no previous solution. We were using Google spreadsheets, and as we grew a solution like this became necessary.

Initial set up was fairly complex as we have users with many different roles and were keen to set it up to lead to the most efficient processes possible.

We implemented through a vendor team, and our onsite consultant was both knowledgeable and very friendly. He was with us for three weeks.

Improved efficiency and visibility across different service teams leads to less time spent per piece of work. Savings vary across teams but average around 15%.

The pricing is not cheap, comprising a per user licence fee as well as al the set up and training costs - but is fair especially with discounts applied.

Before choosing to go with Workfront as our work management solution, we evaluated other options - namely Traffic Live by Sohnar and Basecamp.

What other advice do I have?

No. I do not have any additional comments or advice regarding this solution, other than I recommend the Workfront as a great solution.

Project Management Software
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Marketing Projects Manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to manage the capacity vs. workload of our department and to be able to forecast the demand, but sharing of information is cumbersome.

What is most valuable?

Logging hours is not painful, there are several choices to input them.

The collaboration features are very good: comments, sharing of documents, approvals, etc.

Work requests via assignments are clear and provide accountability.

Integrated document proofing and versioning is a must for any creative department, and this one works really well.

How has it helped my organization?

Working in an in-house marketing department, we have been using Workfront for three years to manage our projects and operations. We need overall visibility on all the activities of our department, plus a powerful collaboration platform.

Our main aim using Workfront is to manage the capacity vs. workload of our department and to be able to forecast the demand.

Workfront is fulfilling our basic needs, but we feel that there is a lack of ability to create clear dashboards or to have a better visibility of critical tasks between multiple projects at the same time (which happens when several campaigns overlap).

What needs improvement?

Reporting is a bit limited; while basic reporting is completely fulfilled and you can present the information in clear graphs, when you try to create complex relations (historic vs forecast, capacity vs demand) things get more complicated, there are limitations and you need workarounds to obtain the desired (or closest to the desired) information.

Sharing of information is cumbersome; although you can send automatic reports by email, it's difficult to distribute more elaborated pieces of information.

Resource management is limited; there are tools in the system, but they are not intuitive and are a legacy of previous versions of the system.

3 years.

We are using the cloud (on demand) service, so we haven't found any issues with the deployment. The website is working good and there are no compatibility errors.

There have been some service disruptions, but they have been very punctual. Workfront has a status panel to check how the fix is progressing and the help desk is very helpful at those moments.

We have initially started using Workfront with 10 users, now there are close to 30 people using it and is still a suitable option. Sometimes it's also opened to external partners, so they can collaborate on our projects.

Workfront support is quick and responses are elaborated, always providing a workaround if there isn't a functionality to match your need.

Quite good. As soon as a bug is reported, they provide a workaround for the time it's going to take to get fixed and you receive progress updates on the fix, until it is deployed and you're asked to confirm it's working as intended.

No, previously all Project Management coordination was done without a Project Management Information System and we were relying on spreadsheets and other basic collaborating tools (Drive, Docs, etc.).

Learning curve is steep, it doesn't take much time to get familiarized with the common request-collaborate actions (which most of the users will do), but it needs much time and training to carry out actual project management processes within the system.

We have implemented it with a Workfront consultant. They have helped us configure the system and refine our workflow. After 2 years, once we have gained the sufficient know-how, we have done a review on how we used the tool internally to improve our processes and take the most out of the tool.

Return On Investment is hard to measure. Basically what we have gained is to be able to show our internal clients the effort we are dedicating to their projects as well as tracking if our dedication is in line with the resources they invest in our department.

The on demand solution is quite flexible. You can add or remove users as you need them, so the investment to start using the tool is not prohibitive and allows more users to be added easily.

Yes. We have conducted a review on alternatives. Workfront turned to be more specific and useful for a Marketing agency or in-house department in comparison to the others.

What other advice do I have?

There are some points to improve, but it seems that folks at Workfront are committed to improve those areas and correct the product weaknesses.

Workfront (AtTask) System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our compliance team has a way to see what work they have and what work is coming, without everyone having to resort to updating spreadsheets. But, the document review needs to be streamlined.

What is most valuable?

Customizable reports - we use reports for everything. Early on our users indicated that some of the canned views that Workfront provided were not adequate for our needs, so now the work that they have been assigned is provided to them in a form that they're able to better digest.

How has it helped my organization?

Our Compliance department loves Workfront. They finally have an easy way to see what work they have, and what work is coming, without everyone having to resort to updating spreadsheets on their own time.

What needs improvement?

Workfront still has a lot of growing to do in the proofing and review areas of the application. We love proofHQ but certain functions are broken for us right now and it's difficult to say when a fix is coming. Additionally, the document review process is way too clunky and needs to be streamlined.

Our team launched Workfront in April 2015

We deployed with the help of a consultant, and he was very helpful in getting us to align all our processes within Workfront. I don't think we would have been able to do as well if we were doing it by ourselves.

Additionally, we bought into a certain number of consultant hours with Workfront, and this was crucial for us as it allowed us to iron out a few wrinkles in our processes as well as creating additional reports.

There was one huge issue where for some reason, proofHQ went down one day. It took a week for us to fix it, and in the process we lost a couple of documents. Normally we don't have any problems although during certain times of the day, the website appears to be a little slow.

We are in the process of adding additional teams to Workfront and we don't anticipate it will be a problem. Workfront's ability to segregate work based on permissions and different teams and companies is helpful in this regard.

Customer service is pretty good. Our customer service rep is very responsive. I log into the workshops and classes on a regular basis and staff is friendly and knowledgeable.

Initial response is stellar and so long as the problem is easily fixable, the resolution is almost immediate. Where Workfront tends to fail is during problems that have a longer life - anything that is "submitted to product" or "submitted to development" tends to fall into silence and we don't see any update until it's been implemented.

I don't believe we had a different solution before Workfront. We were limping along with a combination of sharepoint, excel spreadsheets, email, and a documentation system that was very clunky and hard to customize. Nobody really knew what was going on, and as time went on and we started growing our work, we knew we needed to find a solution that would address these issues.

Initial setup seemed to be pretty straightforward, and our IT department had very few issues. We needed additional meetings surrounding SSO, and email functionality never really got straightened out, and it's difficult to put a finger on why, since our company tends to be pretty security-conscious.

We implemented through a third party recommended to us by Workfront. They seemed pretty expert at the time, considering that we were very beginner-level. It's really helpful to stress that anyone coming in have some experience with the kind of work that you do, because an understanding of your process is really key to making sure that Workfront works for you.

I can't speak about ROI except in the broadest terms. The reports are live and update themselves based on what's going on within each project, and this is a huge timesaver for us. Various departments that we have to collaborate with, have indicated that they are much more efficient with their work because they are able to see exactly where everything is and what's coming.

Our workers are more able to allocate their time in a meaningful way because of our transparent prioritization levels. Our PMs have indicated that several large projects would not have been able to go through as quickly as they did, without the level of collaboration in document review that is now available to us.

Really evaluate your needs and understand your process. The different license types allow different levels of access into Workfront, and although in the beginning, everyone in my team felt that they needed the highest level of access, this hasn't really been the case.

We evaluated everything we could find in the Gartner Magic Quadrant. Specifically, we asked 8 vendors to come in for demos, and narrowed down to two.

What other advice do I have?

What I consistently hear from Workfront is that Workfront is not going to fix your process, and I certainly believe it. By putting our processes into Workfront we've been able to shed a light on where our problem areas are, and this has been instrumental in getting team members to be more accountable about what's going on in their area.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We now have several areas using it, helping us with assigning tasks and tracking work. However, the UI should permit more customization.

What is most valuable?

The reporting is great and having all projects in one place has made looking at what is going on in the company much easier.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have several areas using the tool and since many of us work across departments it makes assigning tasks and tracking work very easy and quick.

What needs improvement?

More customization of the user interface would be nice. It would be nice to have the ability to create requirements documents and other commonly used documents for managing projects directly in the tool. Otherwise it functions great.

over 1 year

From a system standpoint no, the consultant was great. Internally yes, the users that started out did not go through all of the training which made it difficult to get everyone up and running on the same page initially.

None. The system vary rarely is inaccessible and if it is, it is very short lived. Their webiste has some great tools to see if there are issues and privde updates to them.

None. We are still scaling up and adding other division from the company globally. When we implemented the consultant made sure we designed and built it with that in mind.

Outstanding. I get replies usually the same day. They are always availabel and friendly when we call, which is not very often at all.

Outstanding. I get replies usually the same day. They are always willing to help out, offer solutions and jump in to find the best approach for your organization.

Complex, but that was self-inflicted. Some areas using the tool wanted to much depth and have since backed off a bit.

A vendor team and in-house. We drove most of it since we support the users and wanted to be the subject matter experts.

We did not measure it.

Over plan, you think you know how many will use it, but it will grow or others will want more capability that you initially thought.

We did, but I do not remember the names of the other tools. Workfront (AtTask back then) was far above the other tools we looked at at the time.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool and functions well across an organization. We have many different departments using it and all really enjoy and benefit from it.

Lawrence Hecht - PeerSpot reviewer
President (consultant) at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Open API is a valuable feature.

Valuable Features:

I liked the KPI functionality. I also liked that it had an open API.

Use of Solution:

I used it for 2 years

Owner with 51-200 employees
I love the custom forms but agile dashboards need to be improved.

What is most valuable?

• Project templates
  • Reports
  • Dashboards
  • I love the custom forms - the custom forms have fulfilled every need for data needs within Workfront, and the flexibility to integrate custom form fields into any report, view, filter or grouping has been wonderful

How has it helped my organization?

• Implemented as an enterprise service desk solution (metrics, resource management, customer satisfaction communication workflow)
  • Implemented as the PMO project management solution (dashboards, metrics, resource management, project management lifecycle)
  • Greatly improved enterprise workflow through the entire project management lifecycle as well as help desk functionality.

What needs improvement?

Although the reporting will get the bare basic metrics to present, Executives now want more. The ability to show high level summaries with the ease of drilling down to details within one report. With limitations in the grouping/charting functionalities - multiple charts reports are often needed for one summary presentation. Agile dashboards need improving, and they need to improve the branding on the business cases.

I've been using it for four years.

I have not had any issues with deployment.

I did not have any issues with stability.

I have not had any issues with scalability.

5/10 - it is sometimes tough to get an advanced technician to review tickets. I find I am more advanced than some of the support team and the more advanced tickets are then deemed suitable for the "contracted support" team - which costs money. The functionality I have asked them to review is pretty basic and core to a standard PM workflow so this can be frustrating.

5/10 - no further issues with technical support than otherwise noted above.

No, the organization did not use any solution prior to Workflow.

straightforward, organizations just need to plan ahead and think of how you would like to create the structure so it meets all your needs 5 years down the line. Allow for growth in the organization

We implemented it in-house.

It's worth the money it costs.

Supervisor, Project Management at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
Reporting features are the most valuable to our company. I would like an easier way to set up timing on templates.

What is most valuable?

Workfront's reporting features are the most valuable to our company. Right now we have reports for our production queue, shipping queue and our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Our company had a hard time tracking material used and where projects stood in our work flow. Now we have an extensive recall report that can track the material we use by lot number and job.

What needs improvement?

I would like an easier way to set up timing on templates. Right now we have cookie cutter options. Not sure what the best solution is for our company but we could use some help on the timing of pre approved projects.

We have been using Workfront for 6 years

The only problems we encountered with deployment had to do with our staff not willing to adapt to a new system. Otherwise once workfront is set up it is easy for people to use.

No, we have not encountered any issues with stability. Everything we have in place is working well. We have only had two short occurrences with wide scale performance issues

The best part of Workfront is that it is a good system for large jobs as well as smaller scale projects. Most of our projects are about the same size and scope but I can easily see how Workfront would be able to handle all job sizes.

Customer service is great with Workfront. Everyone you speak to seems genuinely interested in troubleshooting a problem or idea with you. Sometimes response times are longer than I would like.

Technical support is excellent with Workfront. Their online help desk works very well. I wish there was more of an opportunity to call someone if need be.

No, we started using Workfront back when it was called "at-task". Prior to that we would have excel spreadsheets filled with data.

The initial setup was complex. The system is robust and there are many factors to consider when setting up. Timing was the hardest part for our team as we have a lot of situations where the timing of a project is in flux.

We implemented through an in-house team. A member of Workfront came in from Salt Lake City to guide us through, but we did the implementation ourselves.

I don't believe i would be able to accurately answer this question. I personally believe that we the benefits of having Workfront do equate to a monetary gain.

I was not around for the set up cost. Annually we spend $7,344.00 on the system. This includes a customer support package.

I was not part of the team when the evaluation process took place. I believe Workfront (at-task at the time) had a rep come in and do a presentation.

What other advice do I have?

If your company or team decides to go with Workfront, it has all of the tools needed to run an excellent project management system.

IT Admin at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Really good for Project Management. They have another section for "Requests" which lacks functionality.

What is most valuable?

Streamlined Project & Incident Management

Time Reporting

Customization

User friendly

Great for approval workflows

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to combine Project Management, Help Desk ticket handling, Time Reporting and now we have everything in one place. This saves a lot of time and since all work items have the option to post a comment and get other people involved, we are no longer sending emails about this.

What needs improvement?

Customizing and maintaining Workfront can be very time consuming. Also, once you get really familiar with it you will notice a few bugs.

2 years - Anaconda

As I mentioned, there are a few bugs in the system but nothing to worry about. Also, they have a website with information but it is not updated nor complete. Sometimes the only option is to use a consultant for basic things that could and should be listed in their help site.

We get a few errors every now and then. Most of them will go away without intervention of our Internal Support team or Workfront's help desk.

Some reports are beginning to take a lot of time but this is not affecting the general performance of the system. We have approximately 2000 active users and Workfront is working just fine for everyone.

They are really helpful. They are experts in their product and they will immediately identify when you go to them with a question, a bug or an enhancement request. Also, they will share their best practices or new ways to do things.

Their first level of support is really good when handling questions or minor incidents. When you report a bug it can take a long time for them to get it fixed. If you request a new functionality you may never get an answer.

Yes, we were using three different tools. The user experience and functionality was amazing, so we decided to switch

It is as complex as you need it to be. In our case we have lots of projects and we want to measure so many things that it took quite a while to configure, but in the end it was great.

We had some intense consulting sessions with Workfront, but we did it ourselves. We deployed in two phases, the first one was handled by the PMO and then they walked us through the second phase.

I was not involved with the financials of this so I wouldn't really be able to tell. Users in the company have been really happy with this system.

When I got here they had already decided to switch to Workfront and I am not really sure what the other options were. I believe they were considering Remedy.

What other advice do I have?

Workfront is really good for Project Management. They have another section for "Requests" which is intended to be used for handling Help Desk tickets but this part lacks functionality. There are no categories, no SLA, no Priority based on Urgency and Impact.

Associate Director, PMO with 1,001-5,000 employees
Workfront - the way work management should be done

What is most valuable?

The usability of the system has been great. It was by far the easiest product to use based on the products that we reviewed and the adoption with the use of the product has been great in terms of people understanding the system. People spend time learning our process and methods, and not the tool which is the way it is supposed to be.

The communication enhancements with the tool have been wonderful. In some cases, Workfront has replaced email communication and everything is done in the system. People have left the dashboards up on their computer screens all day and really use that to manage their work, communication, time, and really all aspects of their day.

How has it helped my organization?

We have two separate departments that use Workfront for various reasons, but they also collaborate on many projects together. Having that unified tool that both departments work on has helped greatly with their work together, approvals, communication, and keeping up with tasks.

What needs improvement?

Some of the specific functions in the system can get a little quirky and could use some help with, but those are really for unique cases and not general system functionality. The mobile app or table use of Workfront could also be better (from a project manager's prospective using the Gantt Chart). The legacy gantt chart that was built in Flash and Java was great in terms of its usability but it wasn't sustainable with newer technologies. Worfront is still working on a better solution for the Gantt and in my opinion haven't developed an acceptable replacement for the legacy gantt so we continue to use it.

Since 2009

We did not. Its been a long time since we first deployed it, and things have changed in terms of our process and set up if the program. When we've deployed the program out to other offices, not a start from scratch deployment, more like an extension of what is already in the system, everything went smooth and easy.

There occasionally is errors where you need to reload the browser, or what you did didn't get save but those are the types of errors that aren't easily replicated so they were more of exceptions then the rule. There really hasn't been any issue with stability.

We've successfully expanded the use of Workfront from one department to about 5. The biggest issue with scalability is the use of custom terms and statuses in the system. The permissions in the system are pretty good so if there are things that people shouldn't see, they won't see but when it comes to the custom statuses and terms, everyone sees those. We had to use workarounds and put the department's name in front of those custom areas, but it would be nice to be able to hide and show those based on permissions.

Excellent. We've always had good response time, and the representatives have been knowledgeable.

The support has been good. As an administrator, I feel that I know the system very well and I'll only use technical support when there is something that I can't figure out, which in some cases means that the tool just doesn't do want I want it to or what I think it should. That sometimes is frustrating but that is on me and not on the technical support.

MS Project and Excel. Nothing was enterprise for the department, people used what they wanted so we switched to get more uniform.

Straightforward, although the word of advice given to me and what I give to others is that what you go live with isn't necessarily what you'll have live up in a few months. Once you start using the system more and fully realize the capabilities of the system, how you've set things up will change.

Vendor came in for a week with us and worked with us on requirements gathering and set up of the tool. It went well. Adoption was slow on our end so we could have used more work on that but the actual set up of the system was good.

We don't use the system for ROI tracking so unsure.

Only cost that I am aware of is the license per user cost.

Yes, we evaluated other solutions. Innotas, MS Project Server, Team Dynamix.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great tool and can really help an organization. It is a solution to manage your process, not define your process. It is important that you develop your process and methods and then configure the system to use the system. You can use the system to help develop some of your processes, but you'll be better off doing the opposite.

VP Marketing at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A complete system that solves several pain points around projects, communication, and quality.

What is most valuable?

Building reports and dashboards is simple. Building custom workflows and input forms is fast and provides better control over our business.

How has it helped my organization?

Some workflows that were heavy in tasks are now centralized in one project. This provides optics on our current workload, what is late, and who is the primary owner. Reports used to take weeks to build. Our users can build them on their own in a 30 minutes or less.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a different price plan for users that are not using the system except for a few times each month.

Almost 1 year.

The deployment was very impressive. A two week engagement is a big time commitment, however, you have actually a working system and reporting by the time you are done. Well worth the investment.

None

It does require a full time resource for the first 2 - 4 months if you want a enterprise wide fast adoption. Other than that it requires buy-in from all levels to make the transition smooth.

The customer service is great once you get the right person on the phone. Sometimes the person can't resolve the challenge because it's more about custom workflow. It's sometimes best to use their professional services to solve complex workflow challenges.

We haven't had too many challenges. The only issue we had was around enterprise Outlook and Active Directory set up issues. They didn't get fixed as fast as we wanted but they were resolved.

We used Central Desktop, SharePoint, and MSProject. All of them have some strengths, but Workfront is the system that has the most comprehensive solution and the best support. They have a higher price point but you end up getting better user adoption and a better solution. Workforce is also much more innovative and faster at putting our releases because of their SaaS model. Their client base is much more creative which in turn helps everyone.

Setup was great. The person that came on sight listened and delivered solutions. We are starting to use some of Workfront's best practices for our client set ups.

We used Workfront's resources to implement. They were great.

We had a 6 month ROI. We continue to add licenses. It must be worth it if we are buying more.

The costs are a bit expensive in terms of licenses and adding an internal FTE to administer the system. We get our money back in better service levels and improved moral for employees to track wins in their department.

Central Desktop, MS Project, and Sharepoint.

What other advice do I have?

Invest in an business administrator. It's worth it.

Director of Project Management at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Increased productivity, complete transparency and full accountability

What is most valuable?

Project Tracking

Timesheets

Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

Previous to Workfront, all projects were tracked in Excel Spreadsheets. Updates were only received when a projects became critical. This lead to daily fire alarms and those who screamed the loudest god the work done. Now, all projects are tracked and prioritized based on several criteria. Resources know their schedule over a month out and are not having to shift focus several times throughout the day.

What needs improvement?

Agile methodology- When a task is assigned to an agile team the date associated with the task becomes null and void because is is scheduled in an iteration. The PM then does not have the ability to update the date and often will throw off the project schedule and show as behind.

I have used Workfront (AtTask) for two years now

None

With the new security levels the Administrative overhead increased.

Excellent, very timely attention to urgent issues.

Excellent, always had the answer I needed even though sometimes it required escalation to level 2.

Excel and project

The setup was very straight forward and it was simple enough to get my PMO team trained and efficient using it within only a couple of weeks.

Less than 6 months

What other advice do I have?

This has been a great solution for us. We are integrating with TFS and ZenDesk so that each department can work within their own application. Work happens much more efficiently and the transparency throughout the organization is immeasurable as the majority of all executive reporting is happening within the tool.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I previously worked for Workfront as a consultant
Specialist, Planning & Integration at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Workfront is a tool that promotes operational discipline and project governance.

What is most valuable?

Workfront's most valuable features include the ability for users to:

- Add comments to work projects

- Document risks and issues on specific projects

- Add a URL (for companies that keep project documents in a secure repository)

- Create easy reports to meet stewardship needs of executives

- Insert custom templates for common types of projects

How has it helped my organization?

As per a user survey, 90% of respondents believe that Workfront has increased operational discipline.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement are related to how users could leverage the tool for operational work to track responsibilities and to assist with succession planning.

I have used Workfront for about three years in a learning department to manage learning projects, operational work and consultations as a specialist.

Deployment was very successful with the help of a consultation package to ensure adequate change management activities were in place.

In a large corporation, it is not easy to upgrade to the most current browser. We have experienced multiple problems as a result. Ensure you have access to current browsers, if you are going to purchase this SAAS.

Our team choose Workfront, knowing that there are many features we will grow into as we mature as an organization.

Level of customer service is excellent.

Level of technical support is excellent.

The previous solutions included ad-hoc use of Excel, Outlook, One Note and PPT reports.

Senior Process Analyst at a venture capital & private equity firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good - but could be better

Valuable Features

I like being able to update the status of my projects so everyone can have visibiltity to what I am working and its status.

Improvements to My Organization

So far, we have yet to get to a point where Workfront is improving things rather than causing more work but we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Room for Improvement

Workfront works well if you are just trying to use out of the box functionality but once you try and get specific to your own business needs, it lacks in flexibility

Reporting - Workfront really lacks in the reporting department. It takes a significant amount of effort just to resize columns on reports and then even more effort if you want them to print or export correctly. After a year of trying, we still haven't perfected this.

Bugs - Everytime I submit a ticket, either the feature does not exist so I am asked to submit the idea to their product developement team or they blame it on a bug which takes time to resolve.

Calendars - Cannot print calendar or even export them

Outloog plug-in - Inconsistencies between Requests through the website versus the plug-in

Limited Flexibility - Cannot set up reminder or notifications on custom fields, only on their select few out of the box fields. If you have a calculated date object, you cannot set automatic reminders on it. This is one of those things you wouldn't believe a product like this would lack.

HTML - not simple enough. Why not allow users to create reminders without the need of HTML in order to make them dynamic.

Use of Solution

1 Year

The consultants we were provided were set in their ways and were unable to think outside the box.

Over the past year, we have encountered several 'bugs' in the system using out of the box feature. We have reported these and Workfront usually works to update the system, although it is not always timely.

The customer service is very good. A lot of the time, the help desk is willing to help but the product does have it's limitations.

Very good.

Complex. Consultants expected us to know what we wanted before even using the product. We went through three different consultants for a pretty straightforward implementation.

Implementation Team

We implemented through consultants that Workfront provided, the experience was not pleasant.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, Clarizen.

Other Advice

Be weary of what their salesforce is promising you, it may not be what you expect.

Web Traffic Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
AtTask helps you keep your team working together

Valuable Features

AtTask is cloud based and very easy to use. AtTask provides collaboration on projects which is critical to a projects success. Gives everyone high level visibility in their projects down to the smallest detail. No more spreadsheets!

Improvements to My Organization

With AtTask we are able to minimize meetings and internal email. AtTask allows us to communicate within the project so that we have an audit trail of the project. It has allowed us to bring all of the teams closer together to help with approvals and the completion of the projects. No more missed deadlines. The benefit is we have cut our meetings by 50% and with the reporting part of AtTask we are able to keep to our deadlines and prioritize the projects better.

Room for Improvement

I would have to say the "Updates Tab" where comments on the projects are posted. I would like to see a way to highlight text in a different color or bold the text, for certain copy updates to a project. This would help when explaining copy edits on a project. We are now putting the copy edits in a word doc and uploading to the "Documents Tab" for the edits to be made. This works but it would be nice to have this ability in the "Updates Tab".

Use of Solution

We have been using AtTask for over a year.

No issues to report, the deployment was successful!

No issues to report with stability.

No issues to report with scalability.

On a scale from 1 to 10, and 10 being the highest level a 10!

On a scale from 1 to 10, and 10 being the highest level a 10!

Very straightforward no issues.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes all of these companies:

Mavenlink
WorkZone
Podio
Box
Copper Project v5
Chatter Plus
QuickBase
Ad-In-One

Other Advice

Know how many users you will have and discuss with your consultant about the access levels for each user. Also have your workflow structure documented to review with your consultant. Give all users a deadline for going through all training to make sure everyone is trained before they begin using AtTask in the production environment.

Creative Trafficker at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Helpful tool that gives transparency and reporting tools that I cant live without now.

What is most valuable?

The project transparency in AtTask/WorkFront is amazing. It helped us become so much more organized and gives us so much data to help report in ways it would have taken me weeks do to. Now I can build the report fast and have it at my fingertips to use at anytime.

How has it helped my organization?

They have so many reporting options and custom dashboards it has really help everyone see exactly where their projects are and helps me search on things not possible before (in excel).

What needs improvement?

Some of my reporting needs, I have had to add custom calcuations and when I have called to get help, they say it is a custom ask. I hope someday they incorporate those, as I am not that great at building correct calculations.

Almost a year.

No, we had someone here from AtTask for 2 weeks helping us build and set up AtTask. The only issue was getting my users to start to use the system.

It has been great this past year, no major issues.

We have over 115 users and started with 15 and its been pretty seamless so far. Its a constant work in progress to make it better, but its mainly to do with me realizing all AtTask can do. Also now that we have many users I am getting more asks for certain reports, etc.

Great! Super helpful and pretty good response time.

When I have scheduled a consultant call for extra detail help, they have been great.

Yes, we previously used Excel and then Clients and Profits. AtTask is so much more user friendly and design wise nicer to use daily.

We had someone here from AtTask for 2 weeks helping us build and set up AtTask. The only issue was getting my users to start to use the system and trained correctly.

We had someone here from AtTask for 2 weeks helping us build and set up AtTask. I am constantly training my users and built out a PPT specific for our team to reference that I refer to all the time. AtTasks Discovery docs were very helpful to do before their consultant came onsite.

Considering we went from 15 users to over 100, this tool is great. We thought it would be just for our creative team and now it includes several other departments.

I believe it was about 30k the first year and the second year should be cheaper but I haven't seen that invoice yet.

Yes, we thought about Basecamp, Clients and Profits, Clarizen, TimeFox, Workamajig.

What other advice do I have?

Happy with it so far!

Sr Project Manager-Resource & Infra with 1,001-5,000 employees
Organizes work and resource allocation beautifully

What is most valuable?

AtTask's ability to quickly apply project templates to any given request (e.g.tasks with owners / dependencies / timing) gives order to a busy workload and clarity to business owners seeking to get work out the door.

How has it helped my organization?

At this point, all of our key resources (e.g Copywriters, Visual Designers, Coders) use AtTask as their sole source of knowing their workload on any given day / week / month. This presents their tasks in such a clean, orderly format; along with making it easy to see which work is ready to start because the preceding work has been completed; that we've increased individual efficiency / production without raising stress levels.

What needs improvement?

The ways for employees to generate reports; e.g their own workload in calendar year 2014; are not necessarily as intuitive as they could be.

been using AtTask for 4 years; 3 actively.

Yes; our initial deploy was not a success due to poor account management. However, AtTask did act in a timely, responsive manner and sent out a much better expert to essentially re-deploy the product to great success and adoption.

None yet.

Very good! There are easy ways to submit "help"-type tickets and they are always picked up within less than 24 hours.

Haven't had much use for this frankly; technical issues are incredibly rare.

When I first joined the team, they were using Excel to manage projects....it's not terrible efficient and full of precarious potholes! (e.g. version control issues among even a small team)

it was complex to adopt our existing processes and asks; so it took a bit longer than anticipated.

In House team ran the implementation with one account rep from AtTask.

N/A; it's more user acceptance and use, which is high.

Within budget :)

We did but this was before I joined; and selector is no longer with AAP.

Project Manager with 501-1,000 employees
Can Workfront really be worth the time and money it requires? Short answer. Yes.

What is most valuable?

The workflow management option has been the most valuable up front. It was part of the strategy to get the tool in the door and proof of concept it. By using this Land and Expand model, it has increased overall user adoption by using the same principles sales use by making some invite only. Once users got into the system, this increased their willingness to learn and improve what was already being done.

How has it helped my organization?

Currently we are using AtTask within the Corporate office as a Land and Expand model. AtTask is currently being used as a workflow management solution for a majority of users and as a project management tool for a few other departments. The tool solves the problem of transparency as well as overall communication between team members and projects. It keeps everyone on the same page of what is going on and when it's being done. Where a lot of companies have their silos, this breaks into those silos and begins to create a more collaborative effort to solve issues.

What needs improvement?

The biggest room for improvement comes from faster iteration times. Currently the larger releases are coming quarterly, but this also means that if they aren't already working on a section of the tool, your enhancement request may be a long way in the distance. They do have quite a few Product Managers within the company that are assigned to different parts of the tool, but with quarterly release schedules it can seem like requests fall into a black hole.

8 Months

The biggest issue with deployment wasn't really an issue per se, but merely configuring the system. The system can do so much that it can be difficult to narrow that focus to where your needs are and where your wants begin. We had a great on-site consultant that walked us through most of the process and a few times where we needed to reach out to gain different perspectives of what we wanted.

The system has only been down twice since we came on board and neither was a long amount of time. The longest it was offline for was 20 minutes (the other time was down less than 5) and that was over the course of 8 months. Their status pages keep historical stability reports so you can actually see how much up time there really is.

Our company currently has nearly 2000 employees with roughly 1600 of them in the system. Thus far, I haven't seen any real concerns with regards to scaling the tool to match our needs. The pilot group started with 20 or so people so that should give you a general idea.

I have not had one issue with Customer Service. They are generally quick to answer your questions (either by phone or by ticket) and if they don't know, they dig until they find out why. I have not received the response "that's just the way it is" with regards to any of my questions. Even if the tool currently does not do what I would like it to, they are extremely helpful in finding out why and offering to submit an enhancement request on my behalf.

I've ran into a few technical issues over the course of 8 months and there have a been a few times where tech support will jump on Skype or Adobe Connect and work out the issue with me. They are more than willing to take the time to find out what's going on and fixing it. Depending on how large of an issue, it can sometimes take time to get corrected, but I haven't had one issue not be resolved.

Previously, we had a proprietary solution for workflow management, but it wasn't as robust as we would have liked. With resources being allocated to more important projects, we needed something that would fill that gap and AtTask was it. We were also using SharePoint for some document storage and project management. The problem was that it was a fairly old version and didn't have the support it needed to be successful.

The initial setup was complex and does require some technical understanding, but also understanding of your company's needs and objectives. This will ensure better configuration, but also increased success rates of user adoption.

Our implementation was all done in-house. No outside vendors were used.

We currently have qualitative ROI, but we are currently gathering the quantitative ROI based upon A/B split testing and performance gains across the enterprise.

For cost inquiries, I would suggest contacting AtTask directly and speaking with them. They may or may not be a good fit, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Out of the box AtTask had more things pre-done so you could literally use it day one if you wanted to. Not recommended since more of the functionality needs to be configured, but day 1 it could be used. SharePoint and Project Online are both great tools, but the amount of configuration to get it to do what was needed wasn't worth the time spent in comparison to using a tool that already had it built in. Daptiv and other project management solutions were considered, but the workflow management aspect coupled with project management is was clinched it.

What other advice do I have?

AtTask is a great project management and workflow management tool. It also takes care of portfolio and program management as well, which are part of the project management ecosystem. This is where AtTask shines and where I would suggest it being implemented. If you're looking to go beyond those areas, it may be possible to implement AtTask, but you may want to look more towards another solution that specifically handles what you're working to solve. An example of this would be trying to use AtTask as a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool. Technically, you probably could shoehorn a CRM into AtTask, but that's not what it was designed to handle. You're better off using Salesforce or something similar in that scenario.

it_user153780 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reduced the time to complete projects & Improved collaboration with a user friendly interface.

What is most valuable?

Calculating a project status based on remaining open tasks was most valuable. Ability to create and save custom project templates, workflows, and reporting dashboards was also valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced the time to complete projects. Improved collaboration with a user friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

Quicker turnaround of new ideas posted by users.

Administered for 4 years.

Any issues were quickly resolved using standard out of the box configuration functionality. An example would be if a user was unable to edit or view a specific task or field.

Yes, we experienced brief downtime on a few occasions but it became a rarity.

We did not experience scalability issues.

5/10 - No issues with customer service.

5/10. Great technical support -- Assisted to develop complex reporting.

Yes, we switched from an existing solution to save monthly expenses.

Initial set up was straightforward as our existing workflow templates were created in AtTask.

Reduced license costs plus reduced overall project timelines.

Original set up costs were low, required 1 resource to implement, customize and support. Day to Day: Monthly subscription price based on the number of licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Take the administration classes offered by AtTask.

it_user155496 - PeerSpot reviewer
Administrative Assistant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has allowed projects and tasks to be visibly tracked by all members of the company.

What is most valuable?

Reporting, Dashboard, Resetting User Password.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowed projects tasks to be visibly tracked by all members of the company.

What needs improvement?

Bugs in creating linking tasks. Sometimes when using the "Link Tasks" button, it links the wrong tasks. It was a little frustrating when creating predecessors for tasks.

I have been using the solution for 1 Year.

Lots of bugs with AtTask. I had to call Help line A LOT for help.

5 out of 10.

5 out of 10.

Not sure- I was hired Only to learn AtTask. I did not touch previous solutions used.

Not too sure- when I was hired, AtTask already deployed and implemented.

What other advice do I have?

AtTask is quite easy to learn and use to manage simple projects.

it_user154308 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Project Manager - Enterprise at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good for project management. Not as robust as SharePoint 2013 with Project Server/Web Apps.

Valuable Features:

Reporting for project management.

Improvements to My Organization:

Mostly, it has to do with reporting project status updates to the management team.

Room for Improvement:

It's not as robust as SharePoint 2013 with Project Server/Web Apps.

Use of Solution:

8 Months

Stability Issues:

Other than small bugs here and there, it was stable.

Scalability Issues:

Other Advice:

Determine what requirements you have a Project Management system before investing into one. Really look at what your organization is intending to use it for.

Senior Manager of IT at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
AtTask is a powerful and flexible web-based project and portfolio management solution.

What is most valuable?

Work Management, Reporting and System Administration.

How has it helped my organization?

We are finding that AtTask is continuously breaking down the silos and facilitating cross-collaboration between groups and teams. In addition, it is giving us visibility into what our users are working on, and what customers they are working for.

What needs improvement?

As with any software, some bugs exist. However, they are usually fixed quickly.

1.5 Years

Yes, but the problems are mostly organizational and not problems with the software. The release of a new, very powerful access level model has been challenging to adapt to, but it gives a high level of granularity in access to objects within the application.

Very infrequently. We have the occasional slow days where the application seems to respond somewhat slower than normal. These slow periods usually resolve shortly.

Customer Service: Excellent. AtTask makes sure that customers have multiple methods of obtaining support, from custom success consultants, requests with support, post-implementation consulting hours, and web-based training with facilitators.Technical Support: Excellent. AtTask makes sure that customers have multiple methods of obtaining support, from custom success consultants, requests with support, post-implementation consulting hours, and web-based training with facilitators.

Yes, our organization used a variety of solutions that were all consolidated into one single project management solution.

It was straight-forward from a technical perspective. From an organizational perspective, it was challenging to setup for a large, diverse organization.

We implemented with a combination of a vendor delivery consultant and an in-house team.