IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VMware Tanzu Application Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Tanzu Application Service is #11 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give VMware Tanzu Application Service an average rating of 8 out of 10. VMware Tanzu Application Service is most commonly compared to OpenShift: VMware Tanzu Application Service vs OpenShift. VMware Tanzu Application Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is VMware Tanzu Application Service?

A modern runtime for Java, .NET, and Node apps
VMware Tanzu Application Service is purpose-built for developers to boost feature velocity and for operations teams to deliver world-class uptime.

VMware Tanzu Application Service Video

VMware Tanzu Application Service Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Tanzu Application Service pricing:
"The license for VMware Tanzu Application Service is expensive. The license should be cheaper."

VMware Tanzu Application Service Reviews

Abhishek_Agarwal - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
It's a mature and developer-friendly product
  • "Tanzu is easy to upgrade and scale, whether we're talking about horizontal or vertical scaling. It is as smooth as possible without any downtime. The platform maintenance, upgrading, and operations part is very smooth."
  • "Tanzu could provide more granular control over whatever networking is being done on the containers. I would also like to see a slightly more detailed view of application-level tracing. I'm referring to the connections between different microservices. If they added a service-matching feature, that would be helpful for the customers to build or be more effective."

What is our primary use case?

Tanzu brings many modern applications to life across different garages and environments, while customers can deploy and develop some new applications as a BPO application. Tanzu is used for testing purposes and then rolling out into production, as well. It is also used to deploy certain docker-based services and provide a developer-friendly environment. The developers do not need to worry about the continuing edges also. They can use the ZA files and then simply deploy the service on them. Developers can just push it rather than getting into a container image level, image creation, and all those complicated things.

What is most valuable?

Tazu is a developer-friendly and highly mature product.

What needs improvement?

Tanzu could provide more granular control over whatever networking is being done on the containers. I would also like to see a slightly more detailed view of application-level tracing. I'm referring to the connections between different microservices. If they added a service-matching feature, that would be helpful for the customers to build or be more effective.If we had to shut down and put the entire product into maintenance, there are certain steps administrators have to take and barriers to going into maintenance mode. I'd like to see them add some automation.

We've been using Tanzu for about three years.
PaaS Clouds
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Red Hat, Microsoft and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Tanzu is a highly stable product. Everything is automated end to end and it has self-healing capabilities built in. By that I mean, it automatically starts rebuilding things when something goes wrong, but most of the time it is stable.

Tanzu is easy to upgrade and scale, whether we're talking about horizontal or vertical scaling. It is as smooth as possible without any downtime. The platform maintenance, upgrading, and operations part is very smooth.

VMware support is great. I haven't had any issues with it.

I've worked with some open-source solutions, like Kubernetes. The biggest difference is that Tanzu is a developer-friendly product, whereas Kubernetes is not. Tanzu's integrated monitoring is better, too.

Setting up Tanzu is slightly complex in terms of configuration because there are multiple permutations and combinations. Prerequisites have to be completed, like the domain name configuration and various IP addresses that need to be located.  The subject has to be pre-configured to unload this product, and we have to determine how many different virtual machines we want to spin up at the start. That is all somewhat complicated. I would not say it's a limitation, but the DNL or NTP has to be intact before you can install this product. If we don't meet those prerequisites, then it's not possible. The amount of time needed to deploy Tanzu depends on the expertise. A small deployment can be completed in six hours if all the product visits are already in place. Generally, I think Tanzu is most suitable for a medium-sized deployment. In a huge organization, it takes a long time for the back-end operations to complete because it requires a lot of computational power and various features of multiple virtual machines. That's why I say it would be better for a mid-sized deployment, but it should not be too challenging for a larger one.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Tanzu 8.5 out of 10. If you are planning to implement Tanzu, I would say that planning ahead for how you will deploy the product is crucial. With the right planning, this is an excellent product overall. You can utilize it in a more optimized way.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Full featured, many services offered, and good support

What is our primary use case?

VMware Tanzu Application Service is similar to Kubernetes but VMware Tanzu Application Service is more advanced. Everything is built-in and ready as a service. You only need to integrate your application into those services. One of my customers is currently a large financial institution.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of services available in VMware Tanzu Application Service, such as databases and application servers. You have everything you need in one application and you do not need to search outside of the solution.

I have been using VMware Tanzu Application Service for approximately eight months.

The technical support is very good.

The implementation is not easy, it is very complex and can take a day or two to complete.

I did the implementation myself. We have approximately 30 people that are available to do implementations and supporting of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware Tanzu Application Service a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Red Hat, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: June 2022