IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Pivotal Cloud Foundry OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is #9 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give Pivotal Cloud Foundry an average rating of 8 out of 10. Pivotal Cloud Foundry is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure: Pivotal Cloud Foundry vs Microsoft Azure. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Pivotal Cloud Foundry?

Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) is the leading enterprise PaaS, powered by Cloud Foundry. PCF provides a cloud-native application platform that allows you to continuously deliver any app to every major private and public cloud with a single platform. PCF is proven to accelerate feature delivery with higher developer productivity and a 200:1 developer to operator ratio. PCF's built-in security and self-healing capabilities reduce risk in your app portfolio while maintaining high-availability at scale to keep customer facing systems online even in the most challenging circumstances. pivotal.io

Pivotal Cloud Foundry was previously known as PCF, Pivotal Application Service (PAS), Pivotal Container Service (PKS), Pivotal Function Service (PFS).

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Pivotal Cloud Foundry Customers

Humana, Citibank, Mercedes Benz, Liberty Mutual, The Home Depot, GE, West Corp, Merrill Corporation, CoreLogic, Orange, Dish Network, Comcast, Bloomberg, Internal Revenue Service, Ford Motor Company, Garmin, Volkswagen, Solera, Allstate, US Air Force, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, ScotiaBank

Pivotal Cloud Foundry Video

Pivotal Cloud Foundry Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pivotal Cloud Foundry pricing:
"You're paying for the number of virtual machines you want to install in the installation."

Pivotal Cloud Foundry Reviews

Owner/Full Stack Software Engineer at Maraphonic, Inc.
High performance, reliable, and straightforward implementation
  • "Pivotal Cloud Foundry is very easy to use compared to other cloud technologies. It has a very good performance."
  • "Pivotal Cloud Foundry is not scalable, infinitely, because when you install it on a set of virtual machines it is very hard to scale. It's easy to scale on an application level, but not it is not similar to if you were using Amazon. Amazon you can scale thousands of applications."

What is our primary use case?

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is a microservice architecture for enterprises.

What is most valuable?

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is very easy to use compared to other cloud technologies. It has a very good performance.

I have been using Pivotal Cloud Foundry for five years.

The stability of Pivotal Cloud Foundry is good, I never had any issues.
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, Red Hat and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is not scalable, infinitely, because when you install it on a set of virtual machines it is very hard to scale. It's easy to scale on an application level, but not it is not similar to if you were using Amazon. Amazon you can scale thousands of applications. We had one installation of Pivotal Cloud Foundry that had a team of approximately 1,000 using it. Pivotal Cloud Foundry runs hundreds of applications and hundreds of microservices and it is divided into organizations, and sub-organizations.

I have not used technical support.

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is a platform as a service. If you compare it to other cloud providers, such as Amazon, Google, or Microsoft, they're providing the full spectrum of infrastructure as a service, specifically focused on a platform as a service. It allows developers to concentrate on development and use only one command CF push and deploy the application on the cloud.

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is easy to install. It is relatively easy to install in a data center. We use a BOSH software, which allows us to install the Pivotal Cloud Foundry on multiple systems and virtual machines.

We have a few people who maintain Pivotal Cloud Foundry. Each developer can log in and look at the dashboard and see how many instances are running and they can kill any instance, redeploy, deploy, create organizations, and create spaces in organizations to create a hierarchical division.

I have evaluated Kubernetes and it is nice. It's a container orchestration tool. However, it is very hard to manage.

What other advice do I have?

What I saw recently was two big companies, trying to move from the PC to the cloud. They bought Pivotal Cloud Foundry and they are using it on a hybrid cloud. For example, they have two data centers and there are two installations of the Pivotal Cloud Foundry in each data center and they deploy microservices to each data center. They use external Amazon AWS to load balance. However, for some reason, the tendency right now for companies is to move to the Red Hat OpenShift, which is a commercial version of Kubernetes. I rate Pivotal Cloud Foundry a nine out of ten.

Qazi Kashif Qazi - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech Lead at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good monitoring, easy to deploy, and the technical support is helpful
  • "The most valuable features are the monitoring and the deployment is easier."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see easy integration with external tools."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to deploy internal applications to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the monitoring and that the deployment is easier.

What needs improvement?

Having support for other integrated tools, such as Kubernetes, would be useful.

The interface is okay, but it's not that advanced. It could be improved.

The initial setup could be simplified.

In the next release, I would like to see easy integration with external tools. For example, it should be easy to integrate with Kubernetes.

It would also be helpful to have a notification for when you are using other applications that require specific hardware. For example, when you are running your application, to have it say that it should be running on this port for the node on the cloud.

I have been using Pivotal Cloud Foundry for more than two years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable product.

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is scalable.

We have approximately three users using this solution in our organization.

The technical support was helpful.

The initial setup was not easy, it was a bit complex.

We did not use a vendor team. The implementation was completed in-house.

Another department handles this. I don't have any knowledge of pricing and licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Pivotal Cloud Foundry an eight out of ten.

May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Technology Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Applications run really smoothly and with little downtime

What is our primary use case?

We have 1,000 people using Pivotal across the organization. We are a bank, and therefore a customer of the product.

What is most valuable?

PCF is open, so the applications run really smoothly and with little downtime.

What needs improvement?

It is not straightforward to setup.

We have been using Pivotal Cloud Foundry for six months. I am a Senior Technology Specialist.

Scalability is terrible. So far we have not been able to scale it up.

I have had no direct contact with technical support, and therefore I can't comment on this.

The setup is not straightforward in PCF, there's a lot of configuration. It takes a lot of time to connect to third-party applications and it is a complex process.

We implemented the product in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product to other users, and I would rate it 8 out of 10.

Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, Red Hat, and more!
Updated: May 2022