We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Visual Studio Test Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visual Studio Test Professional is #3 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools and #12 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Visual Studio Test Professional an average rating of 8 out of 10. Visual Studio Test Professional is most commonly compared to TFS: Visual Studio Test Professional vs TFS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Visual Studio Test Professional?
Visual Studio Professional Edition provides an IDE for all supported development languages. As of Visual Studio 2010, the Standard edition was dropped. MSDN support is available as MSDN Essentials or the full MSDN library depending on licensing. It supports XML and XSLT editing, and can create deployment packages that only use ClickOnce and MSI. It includes tools like Server Explorer and integration with Microsoft SQL Server also. Windows Mobile development support was included in Visual Studio 2005 Standard, however, with Visual Studio 2008, it is only available in Professional and higher editions. Windows Phone 7 development support was added to all editions in Visual Studio 2010. Development for Windows Mobile is no longer supported in Visual Studio 2010; it is superseded by Windows Phone 7.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Visual Studio Test Professional Customers
Transport for Greater Manchester, Ordina, Bluegarden A/S, CLEAResult, Jet.com, OSIsoft, Australian Taxation Office, BookedOut, Tracasa
Visual Studio Test Professional Video

Visual Studio Test Professional Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Visual Studio Test Professional pricing:
  • "I think that the pricing is quite good."
  • "The pricing is expensive."
  • Visual Studio Test Professional Reviews

Puja Lal
    Development Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers lots of features, including memory analysis and code sharing
    • "The stability has always been very good."
    • "In Visual Studio we still don't have anything which can pinpoint memory leaks on a certain code line."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a build environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good memory analysis.

The solution has a lot of features on offer. We have not even utilized 100% features we used to use. From Visual Studio 6.0 onwards, the newer versions have a lot of features- including a built-in code analyzer - and all of that which would be very useful for us.

The solution can integrate with other solutions. In the past, we used to have BoundsChecker integrated with the solution for memory leak detection.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

The stability has always been very good.

While I haven't used the feature, my understanding is that there are code-sharing capabilities among the developers in order to allow them to effectively review the code.

What needs improvement?

In Visual Studio we still don't have anything which can pinpoint memory leaks on a certain code line. It gives me memory analysis, however, it's not taking me to the code lines. That's what I was searching for in Micro Focus. If I could find a product that works exactly like BoundsChecker or better, then I would switch to that.

I've used the solution for a very long time. I've used it since version 1.5. It's been many years.

We've never questioned the stability. It's always been quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We've never contacted technical support. There was never any need to do so. Therefore, I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

Many years back not now, very early 2006 or 2007 or around there, we were using a product called BoundsChecker and that time we were using it very extensively and it was a very, very useful tool. We had it integrated with Visual Studio 6.0. Now, we are using Visual Studio 2017 and 2019. However, unfortunately, we haven't found any tool that gives us the same kind of output as BoundsChecker used to. When I searched its history I found that it has been bought by Micro Focus and it has changed names a lot of times. I've been looking for a product giving the same output as BoundsChecker.

The initial setup was not complex or difficult. It was easy and pretty straightforward.

We aren't bothered by the pricing of the solution at all due to the fact that it provides us with a lot of great tools. The pricing is high, however, it's a single tool that allows you to do a lot of development without having to buy multiple other tools to do the same tasks.

What other advice do I have?

We're into software development. We are developing products, enterprise-level products, for clients. Microsoft is a business partner.

I'm into product management. My developers are the ones that are directly working with Visual Studio. I myself I'm not overly technical. Therefore, my insight is slightly limited.

We are using versions from both 2017 and 2019. It might be Visual Studio version 6.0.

We are not using a lot of it due to the fact that ours is a legacy code written back in the 1990s. It's a system library. We simply use it to build and compile and that's it.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I haven't completely explored the whole solution, however, I've been very pleased with its overall capabilities.

SQA Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    A commonly-used and strong product with lots of support, but it needs more modern features and better integration for monitoring
    • "It is a very common and strong product. A lot of support is available for this product."
    • "It needs more integration with other tools for monitoring. Microsoft also needs to make it more modern to make it work with microservices and the cloud. It is a bit outdated currently."

What is our primary use case?

I use it just for coding our applications and features. We are using version 4.5, which is an old version. We haven't tried its latest version.

It probably is deployed in a private cloud. It is a part of our firm architecture or infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

It is a very common and strong product. A lot of support is available for this product.

What needs improvement?

It needs more integration with other tools for monitoring. Microsoft also needs to make it more modern to make it work with microservices and the cloud. It is a bit outdated currently.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. We didn't find any issues.

I don't know much about scalability. It is more related to the infrastructure side.

We have around 2,015 people in our organization who use this solution.

I have never really used Microsoft technical support. I just find the information on the internet.

It is easy to set up. The deployment duration depends on the projects. We are working with different projects and persons. For one of our projects, we need one week to deploy. We usually test when all the teams have integrated changes in an environment. It takes some time to test. After that, the changes are deployed to another pre-production environment, where we again test. After that, when we are sure, we deploy to the production environment.

What other advice do I have?

It is an old technology, and I would like to try using a new technology. However, it is necessary for us to stay with this technology because we have a legacy product, but we are thinking of updating to newer versions or migrating to another technology. We didn't do that in the past because of the fear of losing some of the features and having any kind of breakage because of incompatibility. We are looking for microservices for the database. I would advise not to keep a lot of gap between upgrades. The risks are more when you upgrade after a long gap, such as four years. It also takes more time to test all the functionalities.

I would rate Visual Studio Test Professional a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: January 2022.
    564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Developer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
    It makes it easy to handle a lot of things and has good community support, but it needs better performance and error handling
    • "It is very easy to use. You can handle a lot of things together at once in one package, which is a good point for us."
    • "It is not good in terms of performance. When you open Visual Studio, you have to wait for a while to process your code. It uses a lot of resources and has a lot of features. If we could disable some of the features, it would be lighter and faster to use. Nowadays, for some of the projects, we use VS Code for JavaScript or Python. VS Code is very light and easy to use, whereas, in Visual Studio, we have to wait because it takes time to compile or run a project. It has a lot of competitors in terms of performance, such as Intelligent ID. Intelligent ID is very easy to use. It has many features, and it is lighter to use than Visual Studio. In terms of error handling, sometimes, it shows an error before you finish your code, which can be improved. It would be good if it has a version for Linux. I use VS Code on Linux, but I am not sure if Visual Studio has a version for Linux."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for coding, debugging, and other usual things.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use. You can handle a lot of things together at once in one package, which is a good point for us.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

I haven't contacted their technical support. We always search on the web. You can easily find most of the information on the web or Microsoft site. They have a big community, and you can find the information very easily.

The initial installation is very good and easy. In 2015, they added a visual installer, which made it easier than before. Nowadays, we use Visual Studio to change or modify some of the packages, and it is much easier than before.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Visual Studio Test Professional a seven out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Helpful code development tools and supports background unit testing
    • "The most valuable features are tools like IntelliSense and ReSharper."
    • "The integration with Git needs improving because it is a bit disjointed and unpredictable."

What is our primary use case?

We use Visual Studio for product development. It includes the development of modules from the requirements through to the testing and deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are tools like IntelliSense and ReSharper.

The running of unit tests in the background is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The diagrammatic representation of the database in the entity framework is helpful but it seems to have been removed.

I have been using this solution for about six years, since 2014.

I think that this product is quite stable and good to use.

This is a scalable solution that seems to cope well with large systems.

We have fewer than 200 users and we are unlikely to change our usage.

I have never been in contact with technical support.

I think that the pricing is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

Visual Studio is a good solution that I would recommend. My only complaints are about the Git integration and the removal of the diagrammatic representation of the database from the entity framework.

RogerMorera
    Digital Transformation Architect at Comdata
    Quick component creation, easy to install, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution to automate the sequencing of processes and to manage them. For example, using remote access services to see the interactions between applications. It has taken us two years to build the tool we are working on.

What is most valuable?

The ability to quickly make your own components has been valuable. The documentation is simple but you will need to explore the solution and put in the effort for success.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with this solution is you need to be highly technically skilled to operate it, it is not for everyone. Additionally, I would like to see an orchestrator added to the solution.

I have been using the solution for approximately 15 years.

What

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for approximately 15 years.

The stability is great, I trust in the solution.

We have 20 people in my organization using the solution.

The installation of the solution is easy. However, if you want some additional components such as Workflow which is not including in the original packaging of the solution, it will take more time to install.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very powerful but you have to know how to use it.

I rate Visual Studio Test Professional an eight out of ten.

Managing Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, integrates well with other products, and the performance is good
    • "Performance-wise, it is a great tool."
    • "The pricing of this solution should be lowered."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for functional testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are integration, support, and ease of use.

Performance-wise, it is a great tool.

The documentation from Microsoft is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of this solution should be lowered.

I have been using Visual Studio Test Professional for about eight years.

This is a stable solution.

I  think that scalability is good. We have between three and five developers who use it.

We have not needed to contact technical support because the knowledge base is quite good. The community support is also good.

We have experience with other testing tools but the choice of product is dependant on the project and the requirements given by the customer.

The initial installation and setup are easy and really only take a few minutes. Definitely less than an hour.

What other advice do I have?

Feature-wise, I think that this product is good enough. It is a solution that I would recommend, provided that it actually meets the requirements for the project.

Process Manager at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to quickly scale up automation and user friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for UA automation. I'm a process manager and we are customers of Visual Studio.

What is most valuable?

The product is very easy to use and we were able to scale up the automation solution quickly which was beneficial.

What needs improvement?

It's an expensive solution which is an issue for us.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is stable and we get upgrades every couple of years. Most of our developers use Visual Studio; we have around 150 users in total.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It's an expensive solution which is an issue for us.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The initial setup is straightforward, it took us around four to five hours and we were able to do it by ourselves with our own three-person IT team.

We pay an annual licensing fee.

We took a look at Tricentis Tosca and SmartBear TestComplete a few months ago but nothing has been finalized. We're looking for an alternative to Visual Studio Test Professional.

What other advice do I have?

If cost is not an issue then I would recommend this solution.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

R&D Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Plenty of features, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We develop software with the solution. We develop software for Windows, but also across platforms, using Visual Studio.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features.

What needs improvement?

There are too many features with the product and I would like there to be less.

I have been using the solution for years.

The solution has been stable.

We have approximately 30 users using the solution.

I was satisfied with the support given by customer service.

The install was easy, it took 10 minutes.

What about the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features.

What needs improvement?

There are too many features with the product and I would like there to be less.

I have been using the solution for years.

The solution has been stable.

We have approximately 30 users using the solution.

I was satisfied with the support given by customer service.

The install was easy, it took 10 minutes.

We managed the implementation ourselves.

The pricing is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to continue using the solution in the future.

I recommend this solution.

I rate Visual Studio Test Professional a ten out of ten.

Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex, and more!