IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Visual Studio Test Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visual Studio Test Professional is #3 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools and #15 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Visual Studio Test Professional an average rating of 8 out of 10. Visual Studio Test Professional is most commonly compared to TFS: Visual Studio Test Professional vs TFS. Visual Studio Test Professional is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Visual Studio Test Professional?
Visual Studio Professional Edition provides an IDE for all supported development languages. As of Visual Studio 2010, the Standard edition was dropped. MSDN support is available as MSDN Essentials or the full MSDN library depending on licensing. It supports XML and XSLT editing, and can create deployment packages that only use ClickOnce and MSI. It includes tools like Server Explorer and integration with Microsoft SQL Server also. Windows Mobile development support was included in Visual Studio 2005 Standard, however, with Visual Studio 2008, it is only available in Professional and higher editions. Windows Phone 7 development support was added to all editions in Visual Studio 2010. Development for Windows Mobile is no longer supported in Visual Studio 2010; it is superseded by Windows Phone 7.
Visual Studio Test Professional Customers
Transport for Greater Manchester, Ordina, Bluegarden A/S, CLEAResult, Jet.com, OSIsoft, Australian Taxation Office, BookedOut, Tracasa
Visual Studio Test Professional Video

Visual Studio Test Professional Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Visual Studio Test Professional pricing:
  • "The pricing is expensive."
  • "We pay for the solution annually and the price could be reduced."
  • Visual Studio Test Professional Reviews

Puja Lal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Development Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers lots of features, including memory analysis and code sharing
    • "The stability has always been very good."
    • "In Visual Studio we still don't have anything which can pinpoint memory leaks on a certain code line."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a build environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good memory analysis. The solution has a lot of features on offer. We have not even utilized 100% features we used to use. From Visual Studio 6.0 onwards, the newer versions have a lot of features- including a built-in code analyzer - and all of that which would be very useful for us. The solution can integrate with other solutions. In the past, we used to have BoundsChecker integrated with the solution for memory leak detection.  The initial setup was pretty easy. The stability has always been very good. While I haven't used the feature, my understanding is that there are code-sharing capabilities among the developers in order to allow them to effectively review the code.

What needs improvement?

In Visual Studio we still don't have anything which can pinpoint memory leaks on a certain code line. It gives me memory analysis, however, it's not taking me to the code lines. That's what I was searching for in Micro Focus. If I could find a product that works exactly like BoundsChecker or better, then I would switch to that.

I've used the solution for a very long time. I've used it since version 1.5. It's been many years.
    Functional Testing Tools
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: June 2022.
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've never questioned the stability. It's always been quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We've never contacted technical support. There was never any need to do so. Therefore, I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

Many years back not now, very early 2006 or 2007 or around there, we were using a product called BoundsChecker and that time we were using it very extensively and it was a very, very useful tool. We had it integrated with Visual Studio 6.0. Now, we are using Visual Studio 2017 and 2019. However, unfortunately, we haven't found any tool that gives us the same kind of output as BoundsChecker used to. When I searched its history I found that it has been bought by Micro Focus and it has changed names a lot of times. I've been looking for a product giving the same output as BoundsChecker.

The initial setup was not complex or difficult. It was easy and pretty straightforward.

We aren't bothered by the pricing of the solution at all due to the fact that it provides us with a lot of great tools. The pricing is high, however, it's a single tool that allows you to do a lot of development without having to buy multiple other tools to do the same tasks.

What other advice do I have?

We're into software development. We are developing products, enterprise-level products, for clients. Microsoft is a business partner. I'm into product management. My developers are the ones that are directly working with Visual Studio. I myself I'm not overly technical. Therefore, my insight is slightly limited.  We are using versions from both 2017 and 2019. It might be Visual Studio version 6.0.  We are not using a lot of it due to the fact that ours is a legacy code written back in the 1990s. It's a system library. We simply use it to build and compile and that's it. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I haven't completely explored the whole solution, however, I've been very pleased with its overall capabilities.
    Software Test Automation Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    A commonly-used and strong product with lots of support, but it needs more modern features and better integration for monitoring
    • "It is a very common and strong product. A lot of support is available for this product."
    • "It needs more integration with other tools for monitoring. Microsoft also needs to make it more modern to make it work with microservices and the cloud. It is a bit outdated currently."

What is our primary use case?

I use it just for coding our applications and features. We are using version 4.5, which is an old version. We haven't tried its latest version.

It probably is deployed in a private cloud. It is a part of our firm architecture or infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

It is a very common and strong product. A lot of support is available for this product.

What needs improvement?

It needs more integration with other tools for monitoring. Microsoft also needs to make it more modern to make it work with microservices and the cloud. It is a bit outdated currently.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. We didn't find any issues.

I don't know much about scalability. It is more related to the infrastructure side.

We have around 2,015 people in our organization who use this solution.

I have never really used Microsoft technical support. I just find the information on the internet.

It is easy to set up. The deployment duration depends on the projects. We are working with different projects and persons. For one of our projects, we need one week to deploy. We usually test when all the teams have integrated changes in an environment. It takes some time to test. After that, the changes are deployed to another pre-production environment, where we again test. After that, when we are sure, we deploy to the production environment.

What other advice do I have?

It is an old technology, and I would like to try using a new technology. However, it is necessary for us to stay with this technology because we have a legacy product, but we are thinking of updating to newer versions or migrating to another technology. We didn't do that in the past because of the fear of losing some of the features and having any kind of breakage because of incompatibility. We are looking for microservices for the database. I would advise not to keep a lot of gap between upgrades. The risks are more when you upgrade after a long gap, such as four years. It also takes more time to test all the functionalities.

I would rate Visual Studio Test Professional a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Functional Testing Tools
    June 2022
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Head of .NET Department at Evozon Systems
    MSP
    It's a highly powerful tool for custom software development
    • "Visual Studio is highly powerful. It's probably the best software development tool on the market."
    • "Sometimes Visual Studio is slow. It uses a lot of resources like memory and processing power. You should optimize the performance by only installing what you need on your machine. Don't install unnecessary things that will slow your machine."

What is our primary use case?

Visual Studio is for custom software development.

What is most valuable?

Visual Studio is highly powerful. It's probably the best software development tool on the market.

Some of the features appreciated by our teams that work with VS are:

IntelliSense, rename functions (classes, methods, variables), move definition to file, error navigation, search in files (match case, regex), NuGet package manager, GIT experience (especially at solving merge conflicts and view history on a specific file, compare with the previous file to see changes in time), watch list and the fact it can be pinned for the variable you are monitoring, conditional breakpoints, moving execution line up when debugging, shortcuts to arrange elements in the page and remove unused namespaces, possibility to chose the Thread you want to monitor when you have multiple threads, code snippets, easy navigation to the definition and to other classes/methods/properties that refer them, and configuration of code cleanup on multiple profiles and with a lot of options.

We have been selling Visual Studio for more than 10 years.

Sometimes Visual Studio is slow. It uses a lot of resources like memory and processing power. You should optimize the performance by only installing what you need on your machine. Don't install unnecessary things that will slow your machine.

It depends on what you mean by scalability. Only one person uses Visual Studio at a time, but it's scalable in terms of project size. We have
    70 users. We will grow usage as we grow the department and the company. We're expecting between 5 and 10 percent growth in usage next year.

Microsoft support could be faster. It took a while to get to a knowledgeable person in some cases, but we got the answer that we were looking for in the end.

Setting up Visual Studio is straightforward. Each developer configures their own environment.

We have both options. Some licenses are paid yearly. Others are monthly subscriptions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visual Studio Test Professional nine out of 10.

Reza Sadeghi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Developer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
    It makes it easy to handle a lot of things and has good community support, but it needs better performance and error handling
    • "It is very easy to use. You can handle a lot of things together at once in one package, which is a good point for us."
    • "It is not good in terms of performance. When you open Visual Studio, you have to wait for a while to process your code. It uses a lot of resources and has a lot of features. If we could disable some of the features, it would be lighter and faster to use. Nowadays, for some of the projects, we use VS Code for JavaScript or Python. VS Code is very light and easy to use, whereas, in Visual Studio, we have to wait because it takes time to compile or run a project. It has a lot of competitors in terms of performance, such as Intelligent ID. Intelligent ID is very easy to use. It has many features, and it is lighter to use than Visual Studio. In terms of error handling, sometimes, it shows an error before you finish your code, which can be improved. It would be good if it has a version for Linux. I use VS Code on Linux, but I am not sure if Visual Studio has a version for Linux."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for coding, debugging, and other usual things.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use. You can handle a lot of things together at once in one package, which is a good point for us.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

I haven't contacted their technical support. We always search on the web. You can easily find most of the information on the web or Microsoft site. They have a big community, and you can find the information very easily.

The initial installation is very good and easy. In 2015, they added a visual installer, which made it easier than before. Nowadays, we use Visual Studio to change or modify some of the packages, and it is much easier than before.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Visual Studio Test Professional a seven out of ten.

RogerMorera - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Transformation Architect at Comdata
    Quick component creation, easy to install, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution to automate the sequencing of processes and to manage them. For example, using remote access services to see the interactions between applications. It has taken us two years to build the tool we are working on.

What is most valuable?

The ability to quickly make your own components has been valuable. The documentation is simple but you will need to explore the solution and put in the effort for success.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with this solution is you need to be highly technically skilled to operate it, it is not for everyone. Additionally, I would like to see an orchestrator added to the solution.

I have been using the solution for approximately 15 years.

The stability is great, I trust in the solution.

We have 20 people in my organization using the solution.

The installation of the solution is easy. However, if you want some additional components such as Workflow which is not including in the original packaging of the solution, it will take more time to install.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very powerful but you have to know how to use it.

I rate Visual Studio Test Professional an eight out of ten.

Process Manager at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to quickly scale up automation and user friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for UA automation. I'm a process manager and we are customers of Visual Studio.

What is most valuable?

The product is very easy to use and we were able to scale up the automation solution quickly which was beneficial.

What needs improvement?

It's an expensive solution which is an issue for us.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is stable and we get upgrades every couple of years. Most of our developers use Visual Studio; we have around 150 users in total.

The initial setup is straightforward, it took us around four to five hours and we were able to do it by ourselves with our own three-person IT team.

We pay an annual licensing fee.

We took a look at Tricentis Tosca and SmartBear TestComplete a few months ago but nothing has been finalized. We're looking for an alternative to Visual Studio Test Professional.

What other advice do I have?

If cost is not an issue then I would recommend this solution.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Dan Julius - PeerSpot reviewer
    VP R&D at Beamr
    Plenty of features, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We develop software with the solution. We develop software for Windows, but also across platforms, using Visual Studio.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features.

What needs improvement?

There are too many features with the product and I would like there to be less.

I have been using the solution for years.

The solution has been stable.

We have approximately 30 users using the solution.

I was satisfied with the support given by customer service.

The install was easy, it took 10 minutes.

We managed the implementation ourselves.

The pricing is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to continue using the solution in the future.

I recommend this solution.

I rate Visual Studio Test Professional a ten out of ten.

Senior Consultant at Red Hat
    High availability, useful template publishing, but intergration could be better

What is our primary use case?

I am using Visual Studio Test Professional for developing architectural designs and diagnostics in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Visual Studio Test Professional is the way people publish templates and publish integration.

What needs improvement?

Visual Studio Test Professional could improve by having better integration with external databases.

I have been using Visual Studio Test Professional for approximately four years.

Visual Studio Test Professional is stable. It has high availability.

I have not contacted support.

The installation was straightforward for Visual Studio Test Professional.

We pay for the solution annually and the price could be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visual Studio Test Professional a seven out of ten.

Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Micro Focus, Ranorex, and more!
    Updated: June 2022