IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Veritas NetBackup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas NetBackup is #8 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Veritas NetBackup an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Veritas NetBackup is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas NetBackup vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Veritas NetBackup is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Veritas NetBackup?

Veritas NetBackup is an enterprise-grade backup and recovery software solution. NetBackup securely restores and backs up files, raw partitions, and directories on a server known as a media server. A server protected by NetBackup is referred to as a NetBackup client. During the backup process, the NetBackup client sends the data through the network to the NetBackup media server, which chooses the appropriate storage media as the backup point.

Veritas NetBackup is a trusted enterprise backup solution that integrates with many of today’s popular databases, such as Microsoft SQL, Oracle, Linux, Unix, and Microsoft operating systems. The solution is able to backup data to tape, disc, and public clouds and keeps the popular Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware hypervisors safe and secure.

Veritas NetBackup Features

• Cloud optimization: NetBackup offers intuitive multi-cloud intelligence to improve security and reduce costs. Users can experience lower TCO using integrated NetBackup SaaS Data Protection. Easily automate and develop DR to scale using DR rehearsals, single-click recovery, and custom scripts.

• Automated processes: NetBackup produces a more sustainable, cost-effective cloud environment. Users are able to immediately recover what they want, when they want, where they want by way of a robust, efficient multi-cloud cross-platform recovery.

• Cyber security: Easily recover important data with the latest intuitive cyber defenses. The solution protects against ransomware and malware with excellent clean, fast recovery. NetBackup’s process of Protect, Detect, and Recover offers some of the most intuitive aggressive cyber protection protocols to keep your organization safe at all times.

Reviews from Real Users

Mahdi B., Solution Architect and IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Processing, says, “Veritas integrates well with the cloud, all databases, all operating systems, all hardware, and all software. Veritas also has solid malware and ransomware protection features. From time to time, we face a new kind of attack, and Veritas has always proven to be the best protection solution for some of my customers. Our customers who have faced ransomware attacks were able to recover their data in less than one day without any stress. Veritas is ransomware resilient and because of its implementation, it is not dependent on the operating system to work. Most of the functions of the Veritas software are isolated from the operating system and it's not dependent on the operating systems involved. This is very important. When some of our operating systems are infected by a virus, Veritas still works perfectly and protects our data. This feature is very well implemented in Veritas NetBackup.”

A PeerSpot user who is a General Manager at a comms service provider relates, “Veritas enterprise has many agents who perform the backup, whether it is a consistent backup or recorded backup. The solution has everything from the snapshot to the multiple database agents.”

Mir-Ali, Infrastructure Manager - Oracle SCM at a financial services firm, shares, “It covers all kinds of different architectures. Plus, it's very user-friendly and it is very reliable. Reliability is the most important thing because once the backup is done, if it is successful, then we're sure that it was successful and we will be able to restore it.”

Veritas NetBackup Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas NetBackup Video

Archived Veritas NetBackup Reviews (more than two years old)

Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
User-friendly, stable, and feature-rich
  • "NetBackup is very easy for end-users."
  • "The biggest problem with NetBackup is licensing."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Veritas NetBackup is one of the backup and recovery products that we resell to our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

This product works well for all of our use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use. NetBackup is very easy for end-users.

We have never had a problem restoring data.

NetBackup has all of the features that you would expect. It includes differential and incremental backups, snapshots, virtual backup, backing up to the cloud, and backing up on-premises.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem with NetBackup is licensing. With more customers working with virtual machines, they are now licensing based on the number of CPU cores. Some customers choose Veeam because if they have two servers with 100 terabytes then that is four CPU cores, and it will cost less than it would with NetBackup. This is a change from the past, where the licensing was on a per-socket basis.

Veritas NetBackup
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with Veritas netBack for about two years. My company has been involved with backup solutions from different vendors for about 30 years.

This is a very stable product and better than IBM in this regard.

It is very easy to scale. There are two different solutions, where Backup Exec is for small to medium-sized businesses, and NetBackup is for medium to enterprise-sized organizations.n.

We are very satisfied with the technical support.

We also work with products from Veeam and IBM. I have about 10 years of experience with IBM Spectrum Protect but the support for it is very poor in Egypt. For this reason, we prefer to work with Veritas NetBackup and Veeam.

With IBM, there have been many times where we were unable to restore data.

IBM uses many agents for backup tasks, whereas Veritas uses only one agent for backing up files, databases, and applications. The IBM approach is more complex.

It is very easy and straightforward to set up. The length of time required for deployment depends on the implementation and the number of servers. I would say that the average is between three and four days.

We have two people to deploy this solution.

Licensing fees are charged based on the number of CPU cores.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, NetBackup is a good product and the only problem is the licensing module. We would really like to have socket-based licensing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

System IT and Technologies Field Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support but the SQL Server backup features are not up-to-date
  • "The most valuable feature is its stability."
  • "The SQL Server backup features are not up to date."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability.

What needs improvement?

Lots of features are in need of improvement.

The SQL Server backup features are not up to date. I would also like to see the Exchange server and Cloud backup handled better.

There are no features for cloud backup in my on-premises environment, which limits me when it comes to managing them.

The performance is poor on our system and it takes too long to complete a backup.

I have been working with Veritas NetBackup for more than ten years.

The stability is very good.

My environment is not growing very quickly, so I haven't had the opportunity to check scalability. My understanding is that it is expensive to scale.

We are typically in contact with technical support two or three times a year to deal with issues that arise. They're brilliant, fast, and professional.

The setup was completed before I joined the company.

My licensing model is based on capacity so as we grow, the price we pay increases and it becomes too expensive.

We are currently looking for another solution. One of the reasons is that we know that we can get more for less money.

What other advice do I have?

This backup and recovery product is good, although looking at my current environment, it is pretty old. My advice for anybody who is considering Veritas NetBackup is to assess the feasibility of it in their environment.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Veritas NetBackup
July 2022
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Infrastructure Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
User friendly with great features, but very expensive
  • "The solution offers a lot of really great features that organizations can utilize and take advantage of."
  • "The only pain point we have with this solution is the cost. It's very expensive. In fact, it's so expensive we are looking for other platforms. We want to move away from it in order to save our organization costs."

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is great. We have no complaints in terms of the quality it provides.

We have been using Veritas NetBackup in our environment for the past 10 years. Although the features don't change much, it's extremely user friendly for us. We have widely deployed the solution as our sole backup solution for the past few years.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for ten years. It's been about a decade since we first started using the solution.

We are growing, and, at the same time, we are also doing some sort of consolidation in Singapore. Due to the fact that we are growing at a very rapid speed, we are looking at other products in the market that can deal with the big amount of data that we are going to back up and we're focusing on those that can do the work very efficiently.

I have contacted technical support in the past. Actually, in fact, I am very close to the account and product team operators in Singapore. They're great. They've been very supportive. We've quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. The solution itself is very user friendly, so we didn't find the implementation very complex.

Deployment took about half a day of work.

Currently, we're evaluating Cohesity. It is a new solution that we are starting to assess. We're looking at whether it's the right solution to replace our existing NetBackup.

Right now, our entire organization is a NetBackup supporter. However, we also understand that the cost of the backup is actually extremely high. We are actually looking at some sort of alternative at this point.

What other advice do I have?

We're a NetBackup customer and we have a close partnership with Veritas. We don't provide any services to clients. We just happen to use it.

The product itself is great, however, the pricing is very high compared to the competition.

Veritas has been quite well known in the market for some time now. They have a lot of features as well. However, at the end of the day, it's always the cost that we have to consider.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Senior DBA Sql Server, Oracle at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Trouble-free backup and restore, but the pricing and performance should be improved
  • "The most valuable feature is the trouble-free operation, as we have not had many problems with it."
  • "The speed of restoring data could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is our default backup solution for our data and storage.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are not able to back up our attached drives, which is something that should be improved.

The speed of restoring data could be improved.

The pricing is an area that can be improved.

I have been in touch with technical support and I would say that they are okay. I wouldn't rate them "very bad" or "very good" because I haven't been dissatisfied, yet I haven't seen anything impressive either.

The area for improvement that I can see with support is that they have to have better internal coordination. Multiple people or teams work on the same problem and the coordination on their end could be better.

The team who was working on the initial setup was well aware of what they needed to do, so it was straightforward.

We have two people who do the maintenance.

We had third-party assistance with the deployment and we are satisfied with the experience.

I find the cost of this solution to be high. The licensing is done based on the size of the source. If you have a source size of one terabyte then they will charge for a one terabyte license, although what is actually being stored is much less. This is something that they can improve on.

We have been exploring other options that are available in the market. Products like Veeam have similar features, so we will continue our evaluation and consider cost as one of the main factors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Veritas NetBackup is that it's not a bad product and it's good to be prepared. I suggest reviewing the price in advance.

I find it to be not a bad product, but it would be much better with improvements to pricing and performance.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Alliance Solution Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Great security with excellent compression and deduplication
  • "The solution offers very good storage efficiency, so there's excellent compression and deduplication within the product that our clients really appreciate."
  • "It would be extremely helpful if the solution offered near-zero recovery time for SQL."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for our clients are for data protection and for backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution for our clients, obviously, is security. It backs up Microsoft SQL Server very well.

The solution offers very good storage efficiency, so there's excellent compression and deduplication within the product that our clients really appreciate.

What needs improvement?

How the solution operates in the cloud could be improved. There's a feature called data immutability, and needs to be improved within the product.

I'm only familiar with the 8.2 version of the solution. It is my understanding that there are some new features that are being released in 8.3. However, more API integration is required in future releases, if that's not already in the works.

I've been using the solution for 20 years. It's been about two decades.

The solution is very stable. Our clients find it reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect how it works. It doesn't crash or cause downtime.

The solution can scale. That's not a problem. I usually consult with organizations that are medium to large in size, and I know that if they need to expand or scale up, they can do so with this product.

I have not had any experience with technical support. That service is for my clients to work with. I simply help evaluate the product on their behalf. My understanding, however, is that they've got a support and managed service that they offer with service level agreements.

Unfortunately, I don't implement the solution. I just evaluate different products, including this one, for my clients. Since I'm not involved in the process, I wouldn't be able to evaluate how difficult or straightforward it is to accomplish.

I am aware of the list pricing. It can be quite high if your company has a lot of storage.

It's licensed on a per terabyte basis. Depending on how many terabytes you have, that will ultimately determine the cost. There aren't any additional costs beyond the per terabyte pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're Veritas partners, however, we are independent and completely neutral towards our partners. I'm a consultant. I don't use the product. I evaluate the product for clients. The clients are the ones who use the product.

I'd advise other organizations to look at both their on-prem and cloud together. It's good to manage everything from one place.

I'd rate the solution eight out for ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant
Manager, Infrastructure & Support at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Friendly graphical user interface has made it easy for us to create policies and to do installs
  • "Good graphical user interface. It's easy to create policies and to do installs."
  • "Lacks a reporting feature."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our databases, servers and VM. We are resellers of this product and I am the manager of infrastructure and support.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup brings us business continuity.

What is most valuable?

I like this solution, it's quite easy to use because of the friendly graphical user interface. It's easy to create policies and to do installs.

What needs improvement?

This product doesn't come with a reporting feature which means it has to be installed separately. The outcome is that you don't have good analytical tools or business intelligence reports that you can share with top management. Previously, we were unable to do regular restore of sites, especially with mailbox backup which made things cumbersome. That seems to have been sorted in recent versions. Finally, if you need to change the server, the solution requires retention of the initial domain name. I think this can possibly create security concerns. The solution is also quite costly.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable. You can install one version and forget about it.

The solution is scalable. We have one person maintaining it and our users are the IT team, the manager for infrastructure and support and about six people involved in technolgical support.

The last time we used technical support was when we made a version change. They were fine.

Deployment was completed in less than a week. We used a third party and they were quite good. They took us through the installation, the configuration, and they trained me as well.

I don't have the actual figures at the moment, but this is a costly product. Additional expenses would come in when other devices are integrated to the backup solution in that tape library.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product because of the ease of use, the simple installation and that the solution is on cloud rather than on-prem. It's important to research options and to do fact finding before getting into it. You need to know that this is the solution you're looking for.

Finally, no matter how well your environment is maintained, or well kept, or how well your disaster recovery plans are in place, at some point you will need a backup solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Customer Solution Architect, IT Outsourcing & Cloud Computing Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Very good VM portal and the CloudCatalyst but needs disaster recovery capabilities
  • "The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features."
  • "It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to back up my customer's CMs or servers inside all of their data centers.

What is most valuable?

The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The interaction of NetBackup with the cloud is not an easy process. You can't choose, for example, data optimization with the cloud. We would like to use CloudCatalyst with AWS and we can't. I don't know how to explain it, but the data file optimization is not usable everywhere. It's not a seamless solution in all instances. We'd like it to be multi-cloud and it's not there yet.

It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product.

The solution would benefit from the addition of disaster recovery.

I've been using the solution for five years now.

The stability is quite good. We haven't had issues with the product crashing. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect our work. It's reliable.

We're quite a sizable company. We've got maybe a 1000 operations and maybe 200 people working on projects. The solution is extensively used on a daily basis by our teams.

The solution is very scalable. We've scaled it ourselves within our organization and didn't have any issues. Other companies should feel confident that they can scale as well if they need to.

I personally have never contacted technical support, however, our operations teams have. I haven't heard anyone in our organization complain about their service which leads me to believe they've quite good. I would say overall our teams are satisfied with their level of service provided.

We previously used Dell EMC's Avamar solution. We decided to switch to Veritas after running into problems on Dell's platform and dealing with large overhead costs to have the solution.

The initial setup is not straightforward. it's quite complex. The process required a lot of engineering and had lots of components that needed to be addressed.

I don't recall the amount of time it took to deploy the solution.

The solution does require maintenance, however, I don't know too much about the process. We're a quite large company. I don't know how many people are working on this solution in total.

The implementation was handled by us. We are a service provider for our clients. We didn't need an outside consultant or integrator to assist us. We have our own in-house team of engineers that can handle everything.

Compared to other solutions, such as Dell EMC's Avamar, the solution is reasonably priced.

We've got a simple payment scheme set up where most of the features and the product itself are included in one single cost. It's quite straight forward in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Since we are a service provider, we have a close relationship with Veritas. We offer services based on their technology and on their product.

I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to first evaluate against use cases. Depending on the use cases, the cost can change quite a lot. Overall, I'd recommend the solution, however. It's quite good and very reliable.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

IT Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has good VMware VADP backups but it's very difficult to make it work with multiple business units

What is our primary use case?

We use it for general backup on our servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• The VMware VADP backups
  • The support for data domains

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, it's very difficult to make it work with multiple business units. Its security model is too constricted.

I have been using Veritas Backup for eight years.

One of the best features is the performance is very good.

Their technical support is average. Not perfect and not bad.

The initial setup was complex. The networking was very complex; there are a lot of firewall ports.

It takes a few days to deploy and we do it with somebody in-house.

Both our side and the vendor's side are required for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's probably a solution that has passed its prime. There are probably better ones out there.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Wesam Qashou - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at MOA
Good dashboard, reporting, and performance
  • "The reporting is very good, with all of the details highlighted and very clear."
  • "This solution would benefit from a more friendly, web-based interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up old books and scriptures. We are working with an old archive that has more than sixty or seventy terabytes, and we put it on tapes.

We are using a tape library as the media, and our deployment is within our private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped us manage our company backups. The reporting is very good, with all of the details highlighted and very clear. It has a very good dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are performance and support.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from a more friendly, web-based interface.

I would like to see better integration with more systems and appliances. Better integrity would also be an improvement.

We would like to have a unified solution that includes backup-over-disk, as opposed to only backup-over-tape. Currently, we are using more than one solution.

We have been using this solution for approximately ten years.

This is one of the most stable backup solutions.

The scalability of this solution is very good.

We have more than five thousand employees that are using the PC and connected to the network. However, this solution is limited to one department with more than one hundred employees.

We are satisfied with the technical support for this solution.

Prior to this solution, we had CA Backup.

We are currently using two backup solutions. In addition to Veritas NetBackup, we are using Quest, which in turn uses NetVault. Our plan is to unify our solutions.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward, with no complexity.

We are very satisfied with the price of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Tri Nguyen - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Specialist, Data Center and Cloud at HighVail Systems Inc.
Gives us confidence in the recoverability of our data in the event of disaster

What is our primary use case?

We are protecting our company's critical data using NetBackup Virtual Appliance at multiple sites. For DR purposes, we use the NetBackup AIR feature to replicate deduped images between sites.

How has it helped my organization?

With our critical data protected by Veritas NetBackup, we feel confident knowing that we can reliably recover the data in case of incidental data loss or disaster.

What is most valuable?

Veritas NetBackup Automatic Image Replication and CloudCatalyst features allow me to replicate deduped backup images from one site to a remote site, as well as duplicating deduped images to the Cloud (i.e. AWS S3, etc.)

What needs improvement?

This product would be improved with the inclusion of a Sandbox feature like Veeam Sandbox.

More than fifteen years.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Veritas Partner.
Thamer Salah - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Presales Consultant at OFFTEC International
Cost-effective and has proactive support
  • "We were evaluating other products and getting confused between Commvault and Veritas NetBackup. The one reason that we started with Veritas NetBackup is the pricing of the license. There's no other reason from a technical perspective or even operation or capability of the two software. The main reason we chose Veritas NetBackup was that in our use case it is more cost-effective."
  • "Improvements can be made to the service by providing better and more competitive ratios on data backups. The functionality for backups is there with Veritas, but I would like to see them optimize and enhance this feature more."

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner and a user of Veritas NetBackup. As a company, we are using Veritas for our internal data backup and recovery.

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made to the service by providing better and more competitive ratios on data backups. The functionality for backups is there with Veritas, but I would like to see them optimize and enhance this feature more.

Technical support from the vendor's perspective has been very proactive. They are very active in responding to customer support requests. Their response times have been good and the people are great to deal with when it comes to troubleshooting and solving problems. Veritas knows what they are doing and they have excellent experience in their own product line.

We were previously using Veritas.

We implemented through a vendor. The vendor was very proactive. The response was great. They were knowledgable and experienced; the team got the job done.

Veritas Netbackup offers affordable licensing.

We were evaluating other products and getting confused between Commvault and Veritas NetBackup. The one reason that we started with Veritas NetBackup is the pricing of the license. There's no other reason from a technical perspective or even operation or capability of the two software. The main reason we chose Veritas NetBackup was that in our use case it is more cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that it is a perfect product. I would rate it an 8 out of 10 overall. I wouldn't give it a ten because it doesn't have the necessary full backup capabilities and because it is missing functionalities like the archiving feature which is not there.

Hitesh Chopra - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Solutions Provider at WIZERTECH INFORMATICS PVT LTD
Easy to install, configure, and use
  • "This is the best solution that I know of."
  • "Endpoint backup capability is needed."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to backup the databases for our enterprise clients.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a very good backup solution that we provide to the majority of our clients as a service.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to perform a backup, and then verify whether it has been properly completed or not.

What needs improvement?

Add endpoint backup capability for a particular appliance. Currently it is server level only.

More than five years.

We use this product daily, and my impression of the stability is very good.

It is scalable. Our clients include fifty to sixty IT managers that are responsible for backing up their company's data. We plan to increase this number as we add new clients.

I have not contacted the product's technical support. We have our own lab set up for testing the product.

I use a second solution, Commvault, in cases where there is no domain. I did not, and still do not use another solution for our primary use case.

The setup, installation, and configuration is not complex. Once the product is configured, it is very easy to use.

For this solution, we handle the system integration for our clients. It takes approximately ten to fifteen days to deploy the backup solution.

I think that the pricing and licensing for this solution is good. It is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any issues or problems when using this solution. It has been working perfectly for our primary use case.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

User at General Atomics
One of the valuable features is support of a large number of operating systems and applications

What is our primary use case?

I used the product to back up all of the major servers at my location, including operating systems: UNIX, Linux, and Windows.

There are a little more than 100 individual systems with around 1.2 PB of which at least 250 TB is continuously backed up with this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has performed as advertised and I have used it for more than 18 years without any major loss of data or problems.

What is most valuable?

The support of a large number of different operating systems and applications.

What needs improvement?

Better ways of backing up larger filesystems with many, millions of small files.

Abuzaid Saad - PeerSpot reviewer
Head, IT Network, Security & Data Center at ARABSAT
Application awareness is very good, but the application needs more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

The application is used for backing up our complete infrastructure including Microsoft Exchange, Oracle EBS, local shared files and folders, and a couple of SQL servers.

How has it helped my organization?

The application is very complex and we failed at integration with most of the applications on Oracle Linux.

What is most valuable?

It has a long backup journey but fortunately, application awareness is very good starting from MS products, database, etc.

What needs improvement?

The application needs more flexibility and reliability should be the top priority of the enhancement.

More than five years.
Chief ingeneer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It saves time for our backup needs

What is our primary use case?

It saves time for the backup needs of our organization.

What is most valuable?

It is less bulky.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be improved.

Three to five years.

It is fine.

I do not have experience with their tech support.

I have previous experience with Veeam and NetApp Backup.

We looked at Veeam and Veritas NetBackup.

Reviewer23 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Infrastructure Manager at Jonah Energy
The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAND data. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution.
  • "The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAND data. We archive the SAND data for recovery, if there is an issue on the fence."
  • "I would advise not to use this tool. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for archiving.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAN data. We archive the SAN data for recovery, if there is an issue on the fence.

What needs improvement?

I think that the licensing model needs improvement.

The stability is fine.

As it scales, it becomes expensive.

Our experience with tech support is mostly positive. But, we had some repeat issues and tech support was not entirely responsive to our needs.

The licensing model is cost-prohibitive as you scale out.

No, we did not evaluate any other options. We only tried this solution in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise not to use this tool. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution. They really have not kept up with the times.

Systems Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability

What is our primary use case?

It is for backing up servers. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It is essential. We can't do without it.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability.

What needs improvement?

• It needs support for Kernel-based Virtual Machines (KVMs).
  • Some of the hardware is out of support.
  • The product is not able to keep up with other competitors in the market.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

Their support is pretty good.

I have been involved in upgrades. They have not been straightforward. Some of them have required us to make changes to our architecture and production environment.

We are currently evaluating EMC Avamar and NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. It is a good product.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The product does what it says it does and it supports all our needs.

Vuong Doan - PeerSpot reviewer
Storage and Backup Engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics

What is our primary use case?

• Ease to use
  • Friendly interface
  • Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup for over 10,000 jobs with a failure rate under 0.5%.

What is most valuable?

I am not interested in any features because I have worked with all of the backup solutions that are now available in the market.

What needs improvement?

The restore tool is not friendly to newcomers. It takes some of our storage and backup admin/support a long time to wrestle with it, but then they have enough knowledge to work even with NetBackup competitors.

We have encountered some issues when upgrading to 8.1 due to data which could not transfer in plain (non-encrypted over network). However, it has now been resolved.

Fully scalable.

Almost all issues can be resolved by experience admins, even though some really difficult problems have to be raise with vendors.

it_user722226 - PeerSpot reviewer
Linux, Backup and Storage Administrator with 10,001+ employees
Improves on data protection and recovery while reducing potentially huge costs
  • "Ease of installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting."
  • "There have been issues with performance and some features."

How has it helped my organization?

I’ve seen organisations using NetBackup efficiently improving on data protection and recovery while reducing potentially huge costs due to the features I’ve mentioned above.

What is most valuable?

• Backup compatibility with most of the existing, legacy, and emerging softwares, filesystems, databases, and technologies.
  • User-friendliness.
  • Ease of installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting.
  • Support services.
  • Features like deduplication, FlashBackup, GRT, BMR, snapshot backups for virtual machines, cloud backup integration, duplication, and AIR (Auto Image Replication) feature.

What needs improvement?

Veritas is already consistently and proactively developing the backup software to make it more compatible and efficient with the latest and emerging technologies. I feel they should stick to this development and increase the pace of this development a bit more to cope up with the current need of data protection market.

There have been issues with performance and some features. However, the support is proactive and they resolve them in a timely fashion to the best of our knowledge.

Nothing so far.

10 out of 10.

We used TSM earlier. We switched to NetBackup primarily for its valuable features (as mentioned above).

Easy in terms of setting up the three tier NetBackup domain. Challenges were encountered though while setting up other aspects like network, resiliency, firewalls, etc.

I can’t comment much as there’s not much visibility on this aspect. However, I’d advise mostly to go for a capacity based license for mid to large scale organisations.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! It’s the best available backup software in the market.

it_user720495 - PeerSpot reviewer
EMEA L3 Backup Integration/Build Team Leader / SME at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helped Improve Our Data Replication Among Critical DCs
  • "AIR and duplication, overall management and troubleshooting."
  • "DDBoost."

How has it helped my organization?

Data replication among critical DCs across regions.

What is most valuable?

AIR and duplication, overall management and troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

DDBoost.

Not since version 7 and higher.

The number of media servers is restricted and this should be pointed out by the vendor.

Quite good. Seven out of 10.

We switched due to better scalability and overall app management.

It's pretty straightforward for a simple configuration but much more complex for a large environment, with many features and tuning required.

Acceptable if you need to implement it for larger environments, e.g. over 1000 clients. For smaller setups it might be too expensive.

IBM TSM, EMC NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

This is a mature product, one of the market leaders, so if you can afford to purchase and have significant infrastructure to be protected, then go ahead and speak to Veritas.

Support Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Some of the valuable features are TAR importing and scriptable scheduling
  • "DLO: Client for laptops."
  • "Setup implementation."

How has it helped my organization?

We are an SMB, but for our client, it is a life saver.

What is most valuable?

• TAR importing
  • Scriptable scheduling
  • Central catalog
  • Local and remote backup
  • DLO: Client for laptops

What needs improvement?

• Integration
  • Setup implementation

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability yet. However, our largest customer barely has 100 NBU clients.

On Veritas, the response time is good.

Our customers have used a very wide variety of options. However, almost all of them switched due to better handling time, straight line backup, recover windows, integration with BD, and better archiving options.

The initial setup varies from customer to customer. Most setups are straightforward, but they tend to be complex over time, due to adding DR sites, alternative media, and tuning backup times.

Personally, I'd tell them to make an inventory of what they want to backup, how often, and the size of backup and recovery windows. After that, we talk about how their requirements weigh in on the pricing/licensing. After that, then the real thing starts.

We evaluated several solutions, including free/open source options and we ran some trials.

What other advice do I have?

Always leave room for more options.

Reda Hassan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
"Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments."
  • "Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments."
  • "The ability to use different disk appliance brands as Pure Disk (not OST), such as EMC Data Domain ."

How has it helped my organization?

Restores individual emails simply for users when requested.
Catalog is user-friendly, and finds all important information about any media needed for a restore request.

What is most valuable?

• Wide systems could be backup/restored; multiple databases, Granular restore capabilities for individual MS-Exchange Emails and normal folders/files
  • NDMP backup capability for NAS storage
  • Virtual environment backup/restore capabilities
  • OST backup capabilities
  • Could be used for both of Physical and Virtual Environments.

No, it is so stable.

No, it scales efficiently.

8 out of 10.

EMC Networker (Legato).

Setup of FC (Fiber) backup is complex.

It is suitable for an enterprise solution.

IBM Tivoli, EMC Data Networker (Legato).

What other advice do I have?

Backup using Fiber Optical connections.
Use Veritas Disk Appliance for deduplication and other valuable benefits.

Service Delivery Manager - Storage & Backup at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automated the disk-based offsite to the other location as part of the disaster recovery plan.
  • "The Replication Director, Auto Image Replication, Accelerator, Oracle Intelligent Policy, synthetic and VADP backups are the most valuable features."
  • "The virtual environment, cloud integration, copy data management features need improvement."

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to:

• Improve the backup success and recovery rate.
  • Reduce the window to backup.
  • Automate database backups.
  • Automate the disk-based offsite to the other location as part of the disaster recovery plan.

What needs improvement?

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

Initially, we were using IBM TSM and Legato Networker (now EMC NetWorker). However, due to the support and legacy of the product features, we switched over to this solution.

The setup was straightforward, it is easy to configure and user-friendly to administer.

Pricing is pretty costly as compared to the other products but worth investing for the long term and high ROI.

We looked at HPE Data Protector and Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product, i.e., if you are looking for a stable and performance oriented backup infrastructure with improved RPO and RTO.

it_user135855 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Deduplication reduces the backup time. It provides backup of a single copy of data.
  • "Deduplication is the most valuable feature as it reduces the backup time and provides backup of a single copy of data"
  • "GUI needs to be more user-friendly."

How has it helped my organization?

It enabled Telecom Fiji Ltd to backup the Unix-based OS. Backup Exec 12.0 was only able to backup the Windows platform.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication is the most valuable feature as it reduces the backup time and provides backup of a single copy of data as opposed to multiple versions of the same file.

What needs improvement?

GUI needs to be more user-friendly.

The product has been stable from day one. The only issue was on Telecom Fiji Ltd's side, i.e., when the tapes are not rotated per cycle and the data is not transferred to it for clearing the storage pool. This caused the pool to fill up and affect the backup jobs.

We did encounter some stability issues. We could not read the LT04 media on the LT05 drives. The majority of our old data was on LT04 and we could not transfer/read it. There should be interoperability on these drives.

Technical support is excellent.

Previously, we were using the Veritas Backup Exec 12.0. We changed to this solution because we needed a backup solution that could back-up the Unix-based OS.

The setup was complex, considering that we have never worked on an Unix-based OS before.

The software and license are very expensive.

We looked at CommVault and Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very robust. Be prepared for the cost.

Nikolay Gorbunov - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Engineer at a integrator with 201-500 employees
You can construct a comprehensive backup solution.
  • "I can rely on this product if I need a restore."
  • "Netbackup can backup MySQL via Oracle policy, to be honest, this is not completely native support and this method has a few limitations. In fact, you can buy from Veritas (or Zmanda) clients for MySQL or PostgerSQL from Zmanda to backup MySQL or PostgreSQL on Linux."

How has it helped my organization?

Six months ago, I recovered several dozen TBs of production data after our storage failed. I recovered Enterprise Vault, Exchange, Oracle, and SQL DBs and VMs. We did not lose any production data and immediately after recovery, the business ran smoothly.

What is most valuable?

You can construct a comprehensive robust backup solution based on NetBackup. Management of such a solution will not be an ultimate challenge. I can rely on this product if I need a restore.

What needs improvement?

The last releases introduced a simplified backup of MS SQL and Oracle. I'd like to have a more user-friendly interface for recovering MS SQL. It would be nice to have native support for MySQL and PostgreSQL. Veritas should increase the number of supported storage options.

To be more specific, NetBackup has the user interface and if you need to restore DB instead of failed one - it's OK. But if you need to restore DB to different location or another server you need: find required backup copy via the user interface, create *.bch file with restore parameters, edit this file to adopt it for the new DB destination, open this file in the user interface. For beginners, these steps are not something obvious.

Netbackup can backup MySQL via Oracle policy, to be honest, this is not completely native support and this method has a few limitations. In fact, you can buy from Veritas (or Zmanda) clients for MySQL or PostgerSQL from Zmanda to backup MySQL or PostgreSQL on Linux. But sometimes this is not convenient.

Currently, as far as I know, for Replication Director has support snapshots and replication only for Netapp storage (ONTAP) and support of snapshots for EMC VNX and EMC Celerra. Despite the fact that for my environment this functionality was enough, I think that Veritas should develop Replication Director and add more storage devices. I believe that now, as data grows really fast, backup software should not only copy data in a classic way, but should be able to manage snapshots and replication between storage devices. In fact, this applies to any enterprise backup software.

Any large products have their issues. I cannot say that the stability issues were unacceptable in comparison with TSM, Commvault, or Veeam, for example.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10. They are good.

In the organization where I was previously, NetBackup replaced Backup Exec because Backup Exec did not have enough flexibility/scalability for the current environment.

I've implemented several NetBackup installations and all of them run smoothly. However, if you are going to implement it for the first time, I really recommend you run some tests before doing so.

If you have a complex environment with dozens of different servers and apps, I recommend you look for TB licensing. We decided to convert our per server licenses to simplify the license management.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is the same for any product. Decide what options you really need, and then test the required options. If the required options work fine, then implement the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I recently changed my employer. My previous employer was Veritas customer. My current employer is a Gold Veritas partner.
Jayson Martin - PeerSpot reviewer
Head IT Data Storage at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
By reducing the backup window the organization has more time to run batches.

How has it helped my organization?

By reducing the backup window the organization has more time to run batches.

What is most valuable?

The client side deduplication reduces the backup window.

What needs improvement?

So far I can only say that the license structure could be looked at to be aligned as either capacity-based or traditional.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the technical support at 10/10.

We did not use a previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

Start on a capacity model. You can't go wrong as it covers all the requirements for backup.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I was a Veritas partner but now I am just a customer.
Backup Administration Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features include SLPs for replication, duplication control, and AIR.
  • "Specific features that I could not do without are SLPs for replication and duplication control and AIR which makes DR easy."
  • "It gets a lot of new features, but improvements in basic functionality are often sacrificed for a shiny new bullet point to put on sales presentations."

How has it helped my organization?

Our only other frame of reference is switching from BE to NBU. We got more advanced control of backups and restores by switching to a full-fledged enterprise solution.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is probably the variety of features it has. You have the ability to perform a lot of actions with a single software solution. Specific features that I could not do without are SLPs for replication and duplication control and AIR which makes DR easy.

What needs improvement?

The code base in general could use an overhaul. The base of the product is very old. It gets a lot of new features, but improvements in basic functionality are often sacrificed for a shiny new bullet point to put on sales presentations. It is one of the best solutions available, but it certainly has its shortcomings.

The product itself is very stable. Most issues with stability come from running too many parallel operations and the hardware itself can’t handle it.

Price is a major issue with scalability. In big environments with lots of servers, this product is quite expensive. When a single backup environment gets large, the backup catalog gets large and then your catalog backups for DR production begin to take a very long time. The database performance begins to suffer. I find a 500-700GB catalog will give the highest performance, but I wouldn’t want to get much larger than 2TB.

Technical support runs the gamut depending on where your call lands. US based support out of MN or FL is generally the best I can find for frontline people. India is about what you would expect. They push off a lot of work and assign busy work when they don’t know the answers. US backline engineers are some of the best technical people in the business.

I previously used Backup Exec, NetBackup's little brother. We switched as our environment grew large enough to justify a more robust backup solution.

The initial setup was very easy. It has a lot of "next, next, next," and basic functions that just work. Setting up advanced features can be complex, but the documentation is readily available. If you read and follow the steps in the documentation, you will be fine.

Smaller virtualized environments will want to stick to a traditional licensing model if possible. It will likely be cheaper, but it is a pain to manage all the individual licenses for each client. Once you get to a thousand or so servers to backup, the capacity model starts to make more sense. Again, it is not what you would call cheap.

We did not evaluate other solutions before this product, but while this product was in a smaller environment, we evaluated EMC solutions, Rubrik, TSM, and HPE Data Protector. The solutions that offered robust feature sets like NBU were more expensive or more complex. They either lack features or they are too new, such as Rubrik. Some are very expensive for the same feature set with EMC's solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The top level solutions all have similar features, but find what you do most and choose the product that makes that the most efficient. Remember that in the end, you have to spend your days managing this. You want to make the day-to-day stuff you do as straightforward as possible. Build redundancies into your backups systems and split out backup traffic from the production network.

it_user197349 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Managed to control all backups centrally across the environment and ensure correct and multiple retention periods were in place.
  • "Management interface was simple to use once understood."
  • "Updates were not always consistent."

How has it helped my organization?

Managed to control all backups centrally across the environment and ensure correct and multiple retention periods were in place based on the business requirement.

What is most valuable?

Management interface was simple to use once understood.

What needs improvement?

Updates were not always consistent.

Early releases did seem to cause issues. Once a stable version was found then we generally stayed with it for an extended period, as it just worked.

Very scalable. Started with 20 machines, within two years, scaled to over 250 and management was just as easy.

Good. Logging of tickets was very difficult and complicated but once logged, very helpful.

Very good. All issues were resolved in a timely manner.

Yes, switch was prompted by IT Manager; due diligence report from external company concluded existing product was not suitable for needs.

Complex, as was unsure how the product worked at the beginning. But after several months of using, became very simple to use as everything is within the single agent install and understood what was required.

Initial implementation was via a vendor team. Upgrades were in-house, as had relevant experience.

Vendor did seem to know what they were doing on implementation but usage of the product seemed limited.

Licensing was very expensive and did not scale well if needed to move between license models. But you get for what you pay for.

What other advice do I have?

Very expensive product, learning curve is very high but once understood and working correctly, is a fantastic product.

it_user334560 - PeerSpot reviewer
CIO at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
it provides us with integration possibilities for different products, e.g. Informix, Oracle, MySQL, VMware, Linux, Unix, and Windows.

Valuable Features:

It offers everything I need from a backup system. I am completely sure that all my data is backed up.

Improvements to My Organization:

We now have a reliable backup system. Also, it provides us with great integration possibilities for different products, e.g. Informix, Oracle, MySQL, VMware, Linux, Unix, and Windows. It also helps with deduplication and the backing up of flash systems.

Room for Improvement:

Technical support needs to improve, especially with the appliances.

Other Advice:

It's the best and most reliable backup system I've used.

it_user562659 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user562659Network & Information Security Analyst with 501-1,000 employees

Agree! Concerning the technical support, I think there have been some improvements since I deployed my first appliance.

Engineer with 51-200 employees
Powerfull backup solution, both on unix and windows worlds

What is most valuable?

Stability, easy troubleshooting

10 years (discontinuously)

No particular issue when deploying on Unix and windows master servers

7/10

7/10

I used alternatively networker, TSM and Netbackup

Straightforward, both on Solaris, Linux, and windows servers. Easy client installation (local or remote)

On the various missions i was able to use netbackup, the solution was installed, I participated to different upgrades and migrations.

it_user87930 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user87930Data Center Expert at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP

The straightforward answers in this post are helpful.

it_user159876 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Tech Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
Netbackup is useful for providing dedicated backup services but troubleshoot feature could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Easily integrated with Claude

How has it helped my organization?

Netbackup is useful for providing dedicated backup services.

What needs improvement?

From a technical point of view, all EMC products have to improve the troubleshoot feature like, log should be in human readable format.

Past 5 to 6 years.

Easy to deploy.

Wrong integration is always the

Not yet.

4.5/5

4/5

I used Sympana commvault and CA arc serve. Both the products are good for small organisations but not up to the mark for enterprise level.

Through vendor team; try to just know how to fix the hardware and plug the networker cable. Rest of the things we had to do remotely.

For enterprise level backup solution – No.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022