IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) is #6 ranked solution in top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools and #11 ranked solution in top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. PeerSpot users give RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) an average rating of 8 out of 10. RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) is most commonly compared to Splunk: RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) vs Splunk. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM)?

If you’re relying on log data to detect and prevent cyber threats, you’re in trouble. Attackers increasingly evade detection of log-centric security and network monitoring tools. But logs combined with full packet, endpoint NetFlow data are proven to provide the essential details for early threat detection. Here’s a closer look at our solution.

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) was previously known as RSA Security Analytics.

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Buyer's Guide

Download the RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Customers

Los Angeles World Airports, Reply

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Video

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Pricing Advice

What users are saying about RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) pricing:
  • "There is a licensing fee and the customer can choose whether he wishes this to be subscription-based or perpetual."
  • "We are on an annual license for the use of the solution."
  • RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Reviews

Mahesh Suryawanshi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Program Manager at EGYANAM TECH
    Economical with good technical support and is easily scalable
    • "It's quite economical compared to other solutions in the market."
    • "The initial setup is complex. There are other solutions that are easier to implement."

What is our primary use case?

I'm primarily using the solution on my client's site.  This is a log event management tool. We are integrating this solution for the clients where it is required. Mostly we work with OEMs such as IBM, RSA, Splunk, and Micro Focus.  With the help of these tools, you can identify any attacks or phishing activity in your network. Most of the time you are able to identify these types of attacks or activity on your firewall. When the firewall will notify the SIEM tools, it will identify which needs to be acted on immediately - unlike when you are using automation tools. With the help of automated tools, you can block those suspicious IPS or you can hand it over back to your security analyst or analyst team to take action ASAP.

What is most valuable?

We have not evaluated this tool. It is evaluated by the client's company directly. That said, I have found it has good threat intel insights, comparatively speaking.  From the client-side, there are economical kinds of features.  It's quite economical compared to other solutions in the market.  The solution is scalable.  The technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

We are designing reports and automated rules and processes. We are defining them in relation to this product. With the help of automated rules and processes, this product will help the team when they go to production to do operations smoothly, as, most of the time, what happens when you put manual interference into such systems, it may be delayed. This can lead to vulnerabilities. Sometimes, if a hacker enters the system, he might only have a limited time where there is a window of access, however, in that time, he'll take what he can, and even if the vulnerability only lasted for a few minutes, in that time, items can get stolen. Therefore, there needs to be more proactively to avoid any downtime. We're adding automating tools to help RSA Netwitness so that if anything happens, RSA can immediately shut anything down. We're in the process of configuring them and adding them in. The initial setup is complex. There are solutions that are easier to implement.

I've been using the solution for two and a half years.
    RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM)
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is reliable. I won't say great, due to the fact that, naturally, if you compare it to other products it is not that great. That said, for the operations, it is good as long as you do not violate your license. The moment you violate your license, this will cause a quite delayed reaction, at least, that is what I've seen compared to Splunk and QRadar.

While the solution isn't necessarily for small organizations, it is good for medium and large organizations. The solution scales easily.

Technical support is very good. They try to resolve issues with the proper SLAs which are defined by them and they understand the client's requirements as well as the client's infrastructure in a better manner. I'm happy with the support.

The solution is pretty complex to set up. Comparatively, I have worked on IBM QRadar and Splunk. They are much easier to set up. It also depends on the client's infrastructure. It just needs some time and understanding to be deployed.  Once it is deployed it requires maintenance. Whenever you work on such products, if you do not take the support or support services, it might take some time to work through some things. For some things, the documentation is not the best. Support is always recommended. If you do not buy support, it can be a disaster.

It's my understanding that the pricing of the product is pretty good. Compared to other options on the market, it's reasonable.  I would say it's economical, as the licensing part is always a different ball game in the SIEM tools business, as everyone is running their business in a different manner. If you go to IBM, they will charge you in a different way, for example. RSA will charge you in a different way as well, and Splunk has its own unique licensing policies. I would say it's economical. I won't say it's cheap. It is in between. Currently, there is only one license. There aren't different licensing models. Hardware is included in the price.

What other advice do I have?

I'm on the latest version of the solution. I tend to work on updated versions. We are systems integrators. We have a partnership with RSA. If a company decides to try out this product, they need to do the homework properly due to the fact that sometimes on the hardware side or on the software side, you may face some issues. It is better to study thoroughly the troubleshooting part and prepare properly. Only then you can go for implementation. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

IT and Cybersecurity Professional at a financial services firm
    Easy to deploy with powerful threat prediction and network forensics capabilities
    • "The most valuable features are the threat prediction and network forensics."
    • "Lots of competing products have vulnerability protection built into their products, and this solution would be improved by including that support."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is real-time threat prediction so that we can minimize the person-hours of IT security analysts.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the threat prediction and network forensics. For example, if there is any malware on the network, I am able to see who received it and who clicked on it. I like this functionality the most.

The deployment of the appliance is easy, where even a non-technical person can configure it.

What needs improvement?

The SOAR (security orchestration, automation, and response) component has areas for improvement.

Technical support needs to be improved.

Integration with third-party products for industries such as the banking sector, or telecommunications, presents challenges that require help from the OEM.

We have been using RSA NetWitness for about 10 years.

There are no issues in terms of stability.

This solution is pretty scalable, as I am using the VM infrastructure. It can scale to whatever you need.

I am not happy with the RSA support. Sometimes they can be really annoying because it takes so long to get the support that you need.

I have used RSA enVision and ArcSight in the past. We migrated from RSA enVision because they had declared the product end-of-life and upgraded to the NetWitness platform.

The Logs component is similar to what other competitors, such as IBM, ArcSight, and LogRhythm have. What distinguishes this solution is the Packets component. It is critical and something that people should make use of.

It is easy to deploy the appliance. Anyone can mount and configure it. There is a simple, pre-built OS that they just need to mount in the VM infrastructure, and that is clearly mentioned in the documentation. It will take two or three days to deploy, at most.

The challenge comes with trying to integrate with third-party application servers.

We deployed this solution with our in-house team.

The number of people required for maintenance depends on your use case. If you are only using it to maintain the infrastructure then two staff is sufficient. However, if you want to implement a full-fledged SOC then you will need at least four or five people.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to look at both their endpoints and circuit paths. The two components, Logs and Packets, should definitely both be considered. Even if there is an on-premises SIEM log, they can integrate it.

Overall, I feel that the product is very good and my biggest complaint is about their support.

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM)
    May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solution Specialist- Data Protection at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Provides a comprehensive trace investigation with the packet capture feature
    • "The packet capture aspect of it is a valuable feature because it is quite different from a traditional SIEM solution that only carries out investigations based on captured logs."
    • "There are instances where you try to run the reports and then it does not give you the desired outcome."

What is our primary use case?

The customer that we work with uses it to gather logs from all the devices in their enterprise so that they have that single point of visibility into trace information in the environment.

What is most valuable?

The packet capture aspect of it is a valuable feature because it is quite different from a traditional SIEM solution that only carries out investigations based on captured logs. So, the capture packet also gives you specific insight into what's going on in the network, and it makes your trace investigation much more comprehensive.

The user interface is fine.

What needs improvement?

The reporting aspect could be improved. There are instances where you try to run the reports and then it does not give you the desired outcome. At times, it appears as if the reporting feature might be buggy.

You want to actually follow the trends and see how technology is advancing. I think they've done that with regard to security orchestration, automation, and response. However, I think that they could do better with the automation and response.

We have been selling RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) for 18 months now.

It is stable.

This solution is scalable.

Technical support has been quite a challenge. There are instances where you reach out to support, and the initial response is fast. When they get to experience what the problem is, we would expect them to be able to fix it on time, but then, we'd notice that there could be quite a lot of back and forth with customers in trying to get an issue resolved.

This is a situation where you have other solutions plugging into this one, so there are times when the issue being experienced has to do with another solution. So there are problems with accepting responsibility.

In general, I would rate them at 70% on technical support.

I've not been involved in initial setup, but I've seen upgrades. I think it's quite straightforward.

From a pricing perspective, I wouldn't say it's too expensive because recently, they came up with a good plan that would also work for small enterprises.

At the early stage, it was quite appliance-based, but now you have virtual machines that take away the appliance cost for customers. So, price wise, it is fair compared to the cost of other SIEM solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It's a comprehensive SIEM solution. The packet capture feature is one thing that will be very beneficial for all accounts because it gives you that general visibility into what's going on even on your network. It's a great product, and I would rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten. It's way ahead of the others.

MdZaman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Deputy Manager at JTI (Japan Tobacco International)
    Really scalable for enterprise customers
    • "The solution is really scalable for the high-end power, enterprise customer."
    • "The solution should have more integration capabilities with different platforms."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, we use the solution for network forensics. It allows us to do visual data detection and prevention.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have more integration capabilities with different platforms. The API is nearly open and scalable, so the solution can integrate with many platforms. The solution has more than 200 log sources in the scalability to support, but this is its limit.

Installation is pretty easy. However, there are a couple of modules involved, so it is not as easy as it could be. We are talking about a distributed module, not a single-module type. This is what makes things a bit complex, instead of easier. I rate it as a seven out of ten on its installation and configuration capabilities.

I have been using RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) for two years.

The solution is really scalable for the high-end power, enterprise customer, but not for the small one.

Mostly, the support is provided remotely and has proven to be good. It was good at the time when we made use of it. I have no idea whether they improved their support over the course of the last year. Previously, our country did not have certified resources, although the first-level of support was available through their local partners, as well as paying-level support, which was handled remotely through India or Singapore.

Installation is pretty easy. However, there are a couple of modules involved, so it is not as easy as it could be. We are talking about a distributed module, not a single-module type. This is what makes things a bit complex, instead of easier. I rate it as a seven out of ten on its installation and configuration capabilities.

If one goes the intelligent route, installation should take at least four to five hours.

There were at least two people involved in the deployment and maintenance. From an operational perspective, there is a need for at least three people, since type one, two and three analysts are involved. Two people are sufficient for the installation, though.

Integration is exceedingly minimal, since its project development is much easier than that of LogRythm or IBM. This means that the solution is significantly more flexible for the customer and requires less training.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others, but not to small-sized customers. The solution is one of the best for enterprise customers exceeding 10,000 or 2,000 EPS.

I rate RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) as a nine out of ten.

Seakr Dg - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Operations Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliable, straightforward installation, but lacking multi-tenant capabilities
    • "The newer 11.5 version that my team is using has found it to have good mapping."
    • "The multi-tenant capabilities are lagging compared to IBM QRadar."

What is our primary use case?

We have two customers using this solution and one of them is a banking business. We are collecting some of the security log sources. In the main use case, we are correlating rules and we are using the endpoint detection capabilities. We are utilizing RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets, to have more insights on an endpoint level.

What is most valuable?

The newer 11.5 version that my team is using has found it to have good mapping.

What needs improvement?

The multi-tenant capabilities are lagging compared to IBM QRadar.

We want the OEM to support us when we add a partner. They have to come forward and be ready to give a POC to the customer. For example, if we are identifying any customer, and the customer wants to see the POC but at that time we do not have that resource to showcase the POC or the environment. At this time the OEM should come forward and showcase the POC to the customer. Once the customer is satisfied, we will be gaining the business, as a win-win situation.

I have been using RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) for approximately two years.

The solution is reliable.

I have not tried to expand the solution.

The technical support is responsive. Professional service when it is required is expensive. I wasn't able to compare with other professional services, because we have only one tool we are using at the moment. I am not able to tell you how much other OEM professional services cost. We have heard from the support that it is expensive.

I have previously used IBM QRadar.

The installation is somewhat straightforward. For example, if they want a UBA or SOAR type of platform, then I don't have experience in integrating or installing the SOAR or UPA. If that kind of opportunity comes or a customer requests it, then we have to see. As it is now, RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) installation is straightforward.

We are on an annual license for the use of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend version 11.5, it looks good. However, we are looking for an alternative solution.

I rate RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) version 11.4 a seven out of ten.

Rahul Patel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber security Lead at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great wireless feature, provides many automatic rules that are very helpful
    • "Offers a good wireless feature."
    • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The RSA Netwitness packet plays a major role in identifying cyber attacks from different sources. We integrated in a very large environment, deploying it in a container corporation in India. The company has around 86 locations across the country. Another use case of RSA is for running full scans and the third use case is for blocking malware and viruses. Nowadays, people hide behind encaptured networks and use proxies to look through the door. Then they'll try to come in.

What is most valuable?

The wireless feature is good, it tells you when to check a spot, which file it has used to encrypt, whether it is spreading and how many hosts have been infected. It's about data analysis. Looking at the network logs, it's difficult to figure out where the problem is coming from and where it's going, but those kinds of features help me a lot. The solution provides lots of automatic rules which is helpful. Technically speaking, this is a good product.

What needs improvement?

I believe they could improve their support, there are often delays. The price of the solution could be reduced, it's very costly.

This is a stable product.

We're using the solution extensively in our shipping business so it is scalable. We probably have seven or eight users and the solution is in use 24/7.

Getting technical support takes time, they get a lot of calls and we generally only get a response the following day. Cisco is better with technical support.

The initial setup is not straightforward because of all the integrations required. It needs the aggregate data, data concentrator, defense, correlation roots, and more.

It would help if they could provide the malware analytics in the core package as that would make the cost more reasonable. Licensing is paid annually and I believe the cost is somewhere between 12,000 - 15,000 Pounds per year. It's very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Associate Manager Human Resources at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good packet inspection and automated incident response, but it needs to be more customizable
    • "The most valuable features are the packet inspection and the automated incident response."
    • "More customizability is required, which is something that they need to improve on."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the packet inspection and the automated incident response.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to starting a log event, there are not many options available. It is very limited.

The log and event correlation need improvement.

The threat detection capability should be enhanced.

I have been using this solution for one month.

We are using it on a daily basis and, so far, it has been stable.

We have approximately 6000 employees, which means that we have 6000 endpoints that this product is working with. It is easy to scale it up to production.

We have not had to contact technical support.

In this company, they did not use a similar solution prior to this one. Personally, I used Splunk in my previous organization. Definitely, I prefer to use Splunk because there is more functionality, visibility, and options. You can do whatever you want with Splunk.

The initial setup is not complex, and more on the simple side. Our deployment took almost five months in total.

We had assistance from an integrator and the vendor for our deployment.

We have administrators in the company who take care of administration and maintenance. The vendor was only needed for the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

RSA is something that I can recommend.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Security Engineer/Architect at Telecom Italia
    Offers good security, integrates well, and they have good technical support
    • "The most valuable feature is the security that it provides."
    • "It is not so easy to customize this product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and RSA NetWitness is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also use it ourselves, They primarily use it for threat protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the security that it provides.

The log-related capabilities are good.

It integrates well with other risk-assessment tools.

What needs improvement?

It is not so easy to customize this product.

This product would be improved with the addition of machine learning functionality.

I have been working with this product for perhaps eight years.

Stability is not a problem with NetWitness.

We have not heard any complaints about scalability. This is generally for enterprise-level companies.

The technical support is good and our customers are satisfied with it.

We use McAfee for internal purposes.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the environment, but overall, I would say that it is quite easy. It isn't the easiest product to install, although it is not difficult, either.

What other advice do I have?

They have just introduced an orchestration tool, although I don't know how it works yet.

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. However, I always suggest doing a proof of concept first, to make sure that it meets your needs.

Download our free RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022