IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Ranorex Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ranorex Studio is #3 ranked solution in top Mobile App Testing Tools, #9 ranked solution in top Test Automation Tools, and #11 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Ranorex Studio an average rating of 8 out of 10. Ranorex Studio is most commonly compared to Katalon Studio: Ranorex Studio vs Katalon Studio. Ranorex Studio is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
Ranorex Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Ranorex Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Ranorex Studio?

Ranorex is a leading software development company that offers innovative test automation software. Ranorex makes testing easy, saves time in the testing process and empowers clients to ensure the highest quality of their products. Its flexible tools and quick ROI make it the ideal choice for companies of virtually any size – and this is why thousands of clients in over 60 countries trust in its excellence.

Ranorex Studio Customers

Siemens, TomTom, Adidas, Canon, Lufthansa, Roche, Cisco, Philipps, Dell, Motorola, Toshiba, Citrix, Ericsson, sage, Continental, IBM, Credit Suisse, Vodafone

Ranorex Studio Video

Archived Ranorex Studio Reviews (more than two years old)

Quality Controller/Programer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A Scalable, Fast, and Affordable testing tool for our software
  • "The scalability is very good. It's probably one of the better tools I've seen on the market."
  • "One of the areas the service could be improved would be to have the training in Italian."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution internally for our testing. We produce software.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are object recognition and the fact that you can memorize the objects. This is something that I have always had a problem with before. It is user-friendly and the speed is pretty quick compared to other tools that I have been using.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas the service could be improved would be to have the training in Italian. While this is not a problem for me, it is a problem for my team. There is no documentation in Italian. As we are based in Italy, it would be helpful to have training in Italian in some form.

I have been using this solution for three months.
Ranorex Studio
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Ranorex Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is in the range of eighty-five percent of what I was expecting. We still have some issues. There will be two people executing the tests in another month or two. Having Italian language support would make the solution a bit more stable.

The scalability is very good. It's probably one of the better tools I've seen on the market. Some are very, very expensive, and we could not afford it, because this was in the mid-range, it was a probable solution for us.

I didn't have very many issues. The two or three that we did have, we received a reply within twenty-four hours. That was perfect for us.

Previously, we used a different solution called iMacros. It's very basic compared to what I'm doing right now with Ranorex Studio. It was half the price, but harder to use.  Overall, it wasn't the best solution for us.

The initial setup was complex, but not because of Ranorex Studio.  This was an internal problem for us because the installation required an administrator and I am not an administrator. We had to repeat the process a couple of times as a result. For the Ranorex Studio side, it was fairly straightforward. The deployment method was on-premises.

We implemented on our own, without the help of any consultants or partners.

We paid €3,000 (approximately $3,300 USD) for this solution. When you add the runtime licenses it will be €3,500 (approximately $3,900 USD). At this time I am developing. We only have one license, but there will be two runtime licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Having a local reseller who already knows the product and can provide in-house training would be a fantastic solution and would make the learning curve a quicker process. The transfer of knowledge from one person to another. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Automation Tester at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Identifies, creates, and edits elements very well
  • "Support is very quick. You can write to them and on the same day, they will respond. This is one of the best features."
  • "If there are many queries on the web page, Ranorex will not render the page correctly. I had about 1,000 queries on the page, and the solution was not able to handle it."

What is most valuable?

The forum is very good as well.

Regarding other features, the solution identifies the elements very well. Creating and editing elements is very good. They offer automation solutions, and it's all in one tool.

The element library is quite nice.

What needs improvement?

They have some problems with some pages rendering the angular solutions. If there are many queries on the web page, Ranorex will not render the page correctly. I had about 1,000 queries on the page, and the solution was not able to handle it.

It has a lot of features that are enabled by default, which can help you identify the elements, but if the page has too many queries, it will crash. It might be better if these features were not enabled by default. You should be able to choose the ones you need. It seems the solution was not optimized by the developer.

I've been using the solution for six to eight months.

The solution is very stable. The only issue is rendering pages if there are too many queries.

The solution is very easy to scale.

Technical support is very good, I would give them ten out of ten.

The initial setup was easy.

I had a problem almost one week after implementing. From the beginning, you must look at the webinar. If you don't watch the webinar, it will be hard to work with the solution at the beginning.

The solution offers a free 30-day trial.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend people try the solution. They have a 30-day free trial that an organization could use to test them out.

Make sure to watch the webinar before implementing the solution, even if they are experimenting with automating. It will make everything easy to understand.  Ranorex has a lot of options which you need to understand and to optimize. You can't automate the optimization, which is why the webinar is so important.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Ranorex Studio
June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user873921 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Architect with 51-200 employees
Provides regression testing and continuous integration, reduces QA costs
  • "The solutions's regression testing is very important for our company, as is the continuous integration process."
  • "Binding to other sources is very good but the object recognition in .NET desktop applications often doesn't work."
  • "Ranorex is used in Windows while other solutions, for example, Katalon Studio, are cross-platform. (But in my opinion, overall, Ranorex is better)."
  • "When Ranorex is upgraded, the compatibility with other projects, in version control, in-house or on-premise, fails on occasion. However, overall, the stability is good."

What is our primary use case?

In my company, the project is a desktop application. We are using Ranorex to record the test cases.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the cost of production and operations. It has reduced the cost of QA in my company and reduced the human resources needed. And the tool is very easy to use.

What is most valuable?

Regression testing is very important for our company, as is the continuous integration process.

What needs improvement?

When Ranorex is upgraded, the compatibility with other projects, in version control, in-house or on-premise, fails on occasion. However, overall, the stability is good.

Scalability with Ranorex is a problem. The way to scale is to buy more licenses.

The support for Ranorex is very good and fast. User requests are answered quickly.

We knew we needed a new solution because testing was only executed manually. A better approach for the team was to automate testing to reduce costs.

When selecting a vendor, the most important criteria are support, providing a trial version for testing the tool, and the functionality the tool offers.

The setup is easy.

HPE, and Selenium WebDriver, which is open-source. We went with Ranorex because of compliance and the company's requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10 because of the expense of licenses and lack of simultaneous execution. It's limited to only one machine or computer.

My advice is to compare solutions. Two years ago there were very different options in the market. Compare Katalon Studios with Ranorex.

Thangavel Sundaram - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Manager/ QA Consultant at Aspire Systems
We've used it for one of our biggest clients to automate Web (Asp .net, Sharepoint and Silverlight applications) and Desktop (Windows and WPF) applications. But tests fail with minimized browsers.
  • "Easy integration with CI Tools like Jenkins, TFS, and TeamCity."
  • "Other OS Support, Ranorex Spy performance improvement (Especially for Silverlight controls)."

What is most valuable?

Strong Element capturing feature of Ranorex Spy, Coding in C#/ VB .net, Easy integration with CI Tools like Jenkins, TFS, TeamCity, Supports cross browsers, Tool Stability, Powerful record and playback, Ranorex IDE, Visual Studio IDE Integration.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used Ranorex for one of our biggest client to automate Web (Asp .net, Sharepoint and Silverlight applications) & Desktop (Windows and WPF) applications. We had smoke and regression test were running on daily basis on Production environment. Now doing some migration on the existing scripts for CRM support.

What needs improvement?

Tests will fail if browser minimised, Parallel Execution Not possible (We could do are some extend if we use DOM method), From my experience, Ranorex Spy is slow when spying on Silverlight controls (ex:- Consider if 500 UI Elements are in an hierarchy & you are trying to spy 470th element)

for more than 5 years

not issues, but difficulties when I try to integrate with tfs

Performance was slow for Silverlight applications

not specific

7 out of 10

8 out of 10

yes, previously I was using an automation tool (build on VB .NET) which did not have capability for automating flash/ Silverlight/ windows applications.

Very simple

in-House

We have automated 15+ internal applications for our client, which reduced much manual effort on regression testing.

no comments

When I try Silverlight automation (5-6 years back) no tools were promising, (Including popular tools in the market), So chosen Ranorex. But now many tools supporting Silver light applications, So better if we do re-evaluation against latest tools in the market

it_user333822 - PeerSpot reviewer
Automation Software Engineer, CI/CD Implementation at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Automation coverage overnight is very useful, although it needs to have modularity.

What is most valuable?

• Spy
  • CodeModule
  • XPath

How has it helped my organization?

Automation coverage overnight is very useful. Compared to Selenium, Ranorex has a very small learning curve, so most of the technical QA people can start development with it right away.

What needs improvement?

They need to have modularity (running concurrently different parts of the tests on different environments and reporting back to centralized run centre). Currently we are implementing this functionality via code, but feature should give a lot of advantages.

I've used it for three years.

The scalability is limited to one process. You cannot have multiple reports combined together automatically, because each run is independent.

The support is pretty good, they have been able to work out some bugs with their licensing and they seems to be pretty helpful in general. The forum is the best advantage, because it's a pretty big community of coders share problem/solution there.

Selenium was in use before Ranorex. Ranorex have a great starter's guide for people that have never done automation. Selenium problems will lead to huge stack traces and unclear errors, while Ranorex stripped out a lot out of basic Visual Studio, so the majority of errors are pretty easy to describe and fix.

The initial set-up is easy for an experienced person, and for technical QA, without a lot of automation experience. Ranorex is a great tool to learn automation with pleasure.

In-house implementation. It's great to have Ranorex paired with Bamboo and AWS

Floating licensing are good for running the scripts on different machines (runtime). For developing, we are using node-locked ones, because Ranorex requires Windows, so we need to buy Windows laptops. It's the biggest drawback of Ranorex that it's limited to one operating system.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have several windows environments for development. You can use Ubuntu or Mac for running tests inside AWS windows box, but development is better or native windows.

it_user341952 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Analyst at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Better version needed to support all Desktop Applications

Valuable Features

• Ranorex Spy
  • Ranorex Repository
  • Ranorex Recorder
  • Mobile libraries
  • User Guide
  • Support Team

Improvements to My Organization

Need few upgrades to automate desktop applications

Room for Improvement

• Snapshots for WPF applications taking too long than expected.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three years.

A few times with Android and iOS devices, but Ranorex support resolved quickly.

A few times without proper scripting skills the build will be always unstable.

A few times with Android and iOS devices, but Ranorex support resolved quickly.

Ranorex support team is really supportive and resolve issues as soon as possible.

Easy installations no hiccoughs.

ROI

The ROI is being able to automate the web, mobile, and desktop applications.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We're really satisfied with the pricing as well and buying licenses is easy. If you have a large automation team try floating license and runtime license which is cheaper than premium license.

Other Solutions Considered

We tried using HP QTP and Selenium, but opted for Ranorex because of its reasonable price and the ease of use of the automation tool.

Other Advice

Go through the user guide and update your library files for your mobile automation process.

Associate Lead Consultant in Quality Assurance and Testing (QAT) at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It supports multiple repositories and the ability to sort and maintain the repository in a positive way. It needs the ability to maintain and access tests in a more intuitive/structured way.

Valuable Features:

Element Identification, I really liked the way Ranorex created a way (XPath) to identify their solution for maintaining stored elements in the repository.

Improvements to My Organization:

The product supports multiple repositories and the ability to sort and maintain the repository in a positive way. I used the repository in combination with shared functions to pretty easily create reusable functions, that only needed repository maintenance with code changes.

Room for Improvement:

I would like it to be more intuitive to use, especially in test management. I'd also like the ability to maintain and access tests in a more intuitive/structured way .

Use of Solution:

We've been using it for two months.

Stability Issues:

It was unstable at times, locking out – especially on any virtual or remote desktop machines. The lockout required resetting Ranorex.

Scalability Issues:

High – it was pretty easy to get help on things we were stuck on, especially in the early stages of product discovery.

Initial Setup:

Straightforward, easy to setup, great support from Ranorex team for initial setup and initial training.

Implementation Team:

Implemented this one through an in-house team.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated many different products for the engagement. We went with Ranorex due to its relative ease of use, and its support for automating desktop/WPF applications out of the box.

Other Advice:

My advice for implementation is to do a proof of concept first to ensure this product works for you.

Do your research, all products have their positives and negatives. Assemble a list of requirements, interview vendors and other users of the product, go through strenuous Proof of concept phase – evaluating and analyzing how well the product fits your current and future needs.

Test Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It provides us a better user-friendly UI, a less expensive tool, and continuous integration capabilities. However, it needs support for OSs other than Windows.

Valuable Features:

A non-technical person can record a test and execute the same. But, a technical person is required to write code module and test data.

Improvements to My Organization:

As per my knowledge, we don't have a (Free) robust tool for functional and GUI testing in desktop application testing field. This is way better than QTP and Silktest when compared to in following aspects:

User friendly UI

Cost of Tool

Continuous Integration

Instant release of updated add-on as per latest technologies and browsers.

Full fledged trial product for exact 30 days.

Room for Improvement:

Need support for other operating systems like Mac and Linux, and not just Windows.

it_user372528 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior QA & Test Manager, Head of Test Automation at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reporting capability and error handling capabilities are one of the best.

Valuable Features:

• It supports two languages C#.Net and VB.NET
  • We use Ranorex Spy, Ranorex Repository, User Functions, Modules, Run Configurations, Data Driven Testing and Cross Browser, Cross Platform Testing
  • It has very good integration with Visual Studio, Jenkins and Testlink
  • Cross platform testing
  • Reporting capability and error handling capabilities are one of the best
  • GDI Capability allows to identify un-recognizable objects

Improvements to My Organization:

I implemented this tool for several of my customers and I can see the ROI rightaway. The tool is very easy to use and test automation can be started rightaway and improvements can be done later on. Perhaps this is the only tool where I would reply on Record and Playback because it just does excellent job same as manually adding automated test steps.

We automated hundreds of regression tests using this tool and they run every weekend and every time the test fails, an email is sent out. Earlier we used to run one big round of regression test every quarter but now we do it every week. Huge savings!!

Room for Improvement:

• Built in web services testing functionality is required
  • Built-in file comparison would be very handy
  • Support for Mac and Linux would be handy, it supports only Windows

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I personally think that, perhaps, it is one of the most stable automated tools available in the market. You can rely on your tests and it won’t let you down.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues scaling it.

Other Advice:

I would recommend reading through the user guide, the guide is very comprehensive and provides a lot of examples of best practises Buy Runtime Engine licenses for execution rather than full Ranorex Studio license. Make use of Cross Browser Testing as far as possible (Automate once and run on multiple browsers). Use variables and data fields that have consistent names (like $UserName and $Password).

Use data-driven testing, which allows to run the same test over and over with different data while getting consistent and verifiable results. Use the data to feed and to validate the system. Create small and distinct tests and you can always combine them in the test case. By keeping the tests small and simple you decrease the overhead of maintenance. Don’t automate tests which are run only once, try to automated repetitive tests.

it_user347727 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software QA Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We have our own Python library that uses the Ranorex API and are using the Robot Framework for test automation with it.

What is most valuable?

Ranorex Spy is the most valuable feature for us, as it provides functionalities for analysis of host or web applications, as well as information for test automation.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using Robot Framework for test automation. We have our own Python library that uses the Ranorex API.

I've used it for seven months.

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

It's scaled just fine for us.

I haven't had to use technical support yet.

This is the only product I've used in my current role.

The initial setup was completely straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It is reliable and fast. I've had no problems in the seven months I have used it.

it_user347709 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Test Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has the ability to perform mobile test automation, but there is a problem during div element recognition.

What is most valuable?

Cross browser testing and the ability to perform mobile test automation. Due to this, you do not need to buy two different solutions for mobile and web channels separately.

How has it helped my organization?

Our core banking application is developed as a plugin of Chrome. Most of the automation tools do not work properly on Chrome, but Ranorex provides this with less maintenance costs. Also, the automation platform is useful for us.

What needs improvement?

I encountered a problem during div element recognition. This point could be enhanced.

9/10

9/10

I had experience on QTP and RFT. They do not support the latest version of browsers or mobile environments. Their costs are high, accordingly.

It was simple.

We implemented it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

It is simple and stable solution.

it_user346857 - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Automation Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
The results of test execution are represented with more details, but sometimes, it's hard to decide which function to use as the explanation of the existing functions is extremely short.

What is most valuable?

Features that I have been using actively and bring the most value to me are:

• Ranorex API – using different functions that the API provides to manipulate with the elements on the web page
  • Ranorex Spy – identifying the different elements on the web page and generating the element repository to be used in different tests
  • Ranorex Reporting – generating the report that shows the overall result of test execution, together with as much detailed as possible result of each step in a test case

How has it helped my organization?

Firstly, I can say that Ranorex offers easy-to-use test automation software for developing and managing projects which enables more efficiency with implementing new test cases.

Also, the results of test execution are represented with more details and in a very concise and effective manner. Log failures, successes, info, warnings, screen captures, etc. are possible to use to make the reporting more representable.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely say that the existing documentation of their API has a lot of room for improvement. Sometimes, it is hard to decide which of the existing functions to use since the explanation of the existing functions is extremely short. So it is left for the user of the solution to try out different possibilities to make sure that the chosen function will fulfill the needs.

I have been using the product actively in my work about a year and a half.

No issues encountered.

No issues with scalability because the tool itself gives enough flexibility to work with. For example, if some new features are added to the existing system being tested, it is feasible and easy to add new elements to the already existing repository without any complexities. We can then use existing functions of the Ranorex API to manipulate the elements.

I would rate it positively since their feedback comes a very short time after the requested help, support, or answer via email or their forum.

I would rate it positively since their feedback comes in a very short time after the requested help, support, or answer via email or their forum.

From the beginning of the project, Ranorex was used as solution for test automation.

I wasn't involved in the beginning of the project.

The solution was implemented as an in-house one. There wasn't need to hire the vendor team since the project by itself is not that big or complex.

Since it is possible to reference the API from some other tools and solutions, instead of being forced to use Ranorex studio, we gained a lot on flexibility and re-using our existing tools and technologies in combination with Ranorex features which are relevant for our test automation process.

Compared to the benefits that the product brings, I would say that the prices are reasonable and justified. I think the great advantage this tool offers is that it supports multi-technologies so that it is possible to cover the test automation of variety of different applications and systems.

What other advice do I have?

My rating is based on the features I use. There are some other features of the product that I haven't touched yet because of the way the test automation is organized on the project I have been working on.

I would suggest using this product because even though it is not an open source solution, the benefits of using it are achieved based on the products price. I was a beginner when I started using this tool and got used to the tool in a very short amount of time so I started working actively very quickly.

It depends on the way the tool is used on the project, but either way, I personally think that the period the user needs to get used to the tool is very low because of the support that is offered through user guides and Ranorex forum or customer service.

it_user346827 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It helps us to loop or iterate some functions for any module an N-number of times, but with the new version of Chrome, some objects are identified differently.

What is most valuable?

Spy for X-path and data binding help us to loop or iterate some functions for any module an N-number of times.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our company in a numbers of ways, but most importantly it helps us save time and the report preparation is nice and easy.

I've used it for two years and three months.

With the new version of Chrome, some objects are identified differently, so we need to identify those and fix the x-path of the object.

It's very good as I have interacted a lot with a number of people (especially Bassem and Bernhard) when faced with the object identification, and they were able to help me.

8/10

We switched because the older solution did not support Chrome.

It was simple.

We can invest depending on the requirements of the business. Run-time licenses can be used if you don't need to develop scripts, floating-type license, or node-lock license.

Quality Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We had web/mobile automation in mind, and although Ranorex doesn't support that form of technology, it provides us with a way to write custom code with which is able to handle it.

I've been using this product for the last two years. It's a great product, and I love the object recognition technology, RxPath, concept. Record and playback is also a well implemented feature. I like their website, and they provide nice documentation of each and every feature of the product.

The Ranorex forum is where you can raise your queries, and independent Ranorex experts as well their  support team will try to respond quickly Licensing is another thing that we found to be a good deal compared to other tools. There is also Ranorex certification from the company you can take, but I find it a bit expensive.

It is easy to install and use. The user interface is very good. We started with a different solution and moved onto this one, as we found a few features of our product couldn't be automated using the other solution. We had web/mobile automation in mind, and although Ranorex doesn't support that form of technology, it provides us with a way to write custom code with which is able to handle it. Mobile automation another important feature which is good.

I think it still needs to improve a lot. It would be great if they could provide an emulator/simulator for mobile testing.

We implemented it through in house team, and we evaluated MS Coded UI first. You should pick this tool depending on your requirement. If you go to test a product built with multiple technologies(.Net/Java/SAP etc), web app testing, mobile testing then you can go with this as it provides you all in one solution.

it_user342198 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior QA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Object Repositories allows you to define variables for identifying objects and the value can be set through the code or during run time, but it does need better IntelliSense support.

What is most valuable?

It's got very good support for automating desktop and mobile applications.

Built in Object Spy and Ranorex Studio IDE.

Also, Ranorex Runner where the test results can be customized and saved as HTML is good.

It's also easy to update the object properties with the help of Object Spy.

Object Repositories is a top notch feature which allows you to define variables for identifying objects and the value can be set through the code or during run time.

How has it helped my organization?

• Quick development of automation framework
  • Easy to maintain
  • No need of external or third party test runners as Ranorex Test Runner is very good.

What needs improvement?

Better IntelliSense support while handling Ranorex Libraries and .net libraries.

No issues encountered,

No real issues, but I had to force close Ranorex Studio a couple of times, as it was stuck with the 'Not Responding' message for a long time on Windows 7.

We contacted Customer service only for license-related queries. It was good.

We contacted customer service only for license-related queries. It was good.

Yes, but Ranorex provides good support for all kinds of solutions like desktop, web applications or mobile Applications. It was an all in one package for us.

It was straightforward with no complexity in setting up. The documentation is crisp and clear.

In-House. It's pretty easy to implement Ranorex. The documentation itself was sufficient.

Clients were pretty happy with the ROI, as the pricing was lower compared to other tools and test maintainability was easy.

What other advice do I have?

Dynamically changing application or a desktop application which is challenging to automate, blindly go for Ranorex.

it_user342603 - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Support Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It was able to read some of our custom components while other tools failed to do that, but running it in a distributed environment was a challenge since it requires an active user session.

What is most valuable?

It allows us to replay user actions for desktop applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Unfortunately, we were not able to drive this project to completion due to incompatibility between our offerings and product functionality, as well as internal politics.

What needs improvement?

Running the tool in a distributed environment was a challenge since Ranorex requires an active user session.

I've been using it for one year.

No issues with deployment.

As stated above, we had compatibility issues.

Excellent – very quick and detailed responses.

Excellent – very quick and detailed responses.

Ranorex was able to read some of our custom components, while other tools failed to do that. Also, it was within our budget.

Very easy – desktop application installation. It's almost one click, and only takes five minutes.

We did it in-house.

Pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

Check if all your components are recognized by Ranorex prior to buying.

it_user342594 - PeerSpot reviewer
SW Engineer at Descartes Systems Group
Anyone with an elementary knowledge of programming should be able to work with it right away, but it is based on an old version of SharpDevelop IDE, though they are planning an upgrade to it soon.

Valuable Features

• Very reliable (multiplatform and technologies) element recognition
  • Reliable recording
  • Speedy and helpful support
  • Great community forum.

Improvements to My Organization

Ranorex helps us to test our apps more effectively on a daily basis.

Room for Improvement

The current version of Ranorex Studio IDE is based on an old version of SharpDevelop IDE (3.2), but this is going to change soon (planned update to SharpDevelop 4.x). So aside some minor feature requests I made in the past (many of them have already been implemented), I don’t have any urgent requests. The good thing about Ranorex is that it’s fully .Net compatible, so a lot of things could be self-implemented via custom C#/ VB.NET code.

Use of Solution

I’ve been using it personally for over three years, but in Descartes we have been using it for about a year or so.

No issues encountered.

Ranorex support is speedy, reliable and very friendly.

Setup is easy, anyone with an elementary knowledge of programming should be able to work with it right away. Otherwise, there is comprehensive user guide, some nice video tutorials, and an excellent community forum.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house as the setup is easy and straightforward. It just requires some time to create and implement a good test automation workflow, however, this is irrelevant to the test automation product itself.

ROI

ROI is hard to estimate and I’m not the one who estimated it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The Ranorex pricing and licensing seems to be adequate, considering the feature set, level of support and frequency of updates. It’s not cheap, but definitely not the most expensive test automation tool.

Other Solutions Considered

Before we picked Ranorex, we did a direct comparison with Squish and TestComplete.

Other Advice

I would suggest you try to implement a use case with multiple concurrent test automation products, to find the right one for your needs. It’s good to compare various aspects of different products - element recognition consistency, recording reliability, reusability of test modules, comprehensiveness of support and documentation, and the quality of the community forum etc.

it_user342588 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Intern at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It's reduced the manual effort in verifying the user interface of the product under test, but there were some issues when the UI widget being tested was not developed in .NET.

What is most valuable?

• It offers many features of recognizing UI widgets, making test automation easy.
  • The spy feature is useful in updating the control address of modified UI widgets.

How has it helped my organization?

It's reduced the manual effort in verifying the user interface of the product under test.

What needs improvement?

There were some issues when the UI widget being tested was not developed in .NET, and the test resulted in some unknown actions when played back.

I used it for a period of two months.

Stability was an issue.

I did not get to interact with the customer service.

No previous solution was used.

It was straightforward.

We used an in-house team.

I believe ROI is pretty high, although I am not involved with the management of the product.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to spend some time reading the user guide and interacting with teammates who have already used the tool so that things become straightforward when you use it. It is a good tool to perform user interface testing over a .NET product.

it_user341943 - PeerSpot reviewer
Product QA Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It has a powerful IDE whereas QTP’s is antiquated, however building the frameworks themselves takes time and skill.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of use of the object repository.
  • How quickly you can get up and running using a powerful programming language.
  • Powerful IDE and Visual Studio integration.
  • Pricing, particularly the runner license.

How has it helped my organization?

Six years ago, the only real alternative was QTP. Having previously used other tools, including Rational Robot, Winrunner, TestComplete and others over the years, we wished to move away from the typical VB scripted approach. Selenium was in its infancy and still a basic tool. QTP, whilst still good, was struggling to keep up with new technologies, despite still being a market leader. For us QTP’s antiquated IDE was no longer adequate and VBscript did not offer the power of newer programming languages.

Ranorex at the time was the only solution able to easily handle the new Ajax web implementations of the day. Our company had just moved to ExtJS 2 and QTP did not provide support for that technology. HP support was not able to rectify the issue whereas Ranorex worked out of the box.

Ranorex support was great also. Support responses were always quick and they were able to work with us to find solutions, weather they were solutions out of the box, or construct solutions for us if they weren't yet available.

For people starting out in automation or even people who have been doing it for years, Ranorex provides an automation solution that can get you up and running with limited fuss. Whilst we no longer use the solution in the way they would intend i.e. we’ve abstracted all of their functions within wrapper classes and simply use Ranorex for interacting with the application, I still believe it is a great tool that caters for a wide range of technologies for testers that are new to automation.

I've used it for six years.

I’ve always been impressed with how easy it is to install and maintain. It’s a quick installation and you’re on your way. These days they have inbuilt test management which previously was not available. As such we wrote our own test management tools and framework so I can’t comment on that side of the application as I’ve never used it.

I’ve always found their support second to none. Responses to my questions were answered promptly and their technical staff are exactly that, extremely technical which is refreshing given the generally basic support previously experienced from other vendors.

Over the last 18 years I’ve used many products ranging from Rational Robot, Winrunner, Test Complete and QTP to now using Ranorex and lately Selenium. I’ve also “played around” with other tools such as WATIR, RFT, SilkTest and lately cucumber etc but I ultimately chose Ranorex because of its price point, hence ROI. It was a fraction of the cost of other commercial tools, yet had the features we needed and was quick to get up and running.

It had a “modern” IDE that was user friendly, I could develop in Visual Studio and it was in a powerful language that most of my team was familiar with.

Our company has recently made a decision to use Selenium also. This was purely based on its cost however. Whilst Selenium these days has become a powerful automation alternative, it is still really limited to people with previous automation experience and with a strong programming background if you wish to achieve similar ROI compared with the commercial tools. For us this is now the case, hence the move.

Selenium however lacks the inbuilt IDE and tools that the commercial solutions have and is still essentially a group of libraries. It does have a strong user base however, hence lots of examples are available in Java. If you don’t have a programming background it can be time consuming to come to grips with however. Selenium really requires a framework to utilise it efficiently, so if you don’t already have one you’ll either have to learn and use an existing framework or build one which will be time consuming. You also need to hook into other tools such as TestNG or similar to get consistent reporting approach (these days UI testing is but a small part of a bigger picture; Unit, Web Service, UI testing etc). As such the tool which started off sounding good because it was free is now incurring significant cost as a result of the lack of inbuilt tools to get you up and running quickly, and the skills learning curve.

I think skilled users loose sight of how much they’ve learned over the years, so whilst Selenium is great and easy to pick up if you’ve already got a strong development background, it’s not a good choice for teams that lack those skills. The commercial tools allow users to walk before they can run so to speak.

Ranorex still has the best pricing point for bang for buck I believe with the runner license availability being a big selling point. When we shifted from QTP to Ranorex six years ago we did so because we were able to purchase 39 Ranorex licenses with the budget we had for the maintenance of our four QTP licenses, and the tool worked on our technologies whereas QTP didn’t anymore. It was a simple decision to move.

The initial setup was straightforward. Just install it and you’re off and running. The software installation was also quick compared to other products. Admittedly we had an inbuilt framework that we’d built available to us so we just wired Ranorex into that framework.

We implemented using an internal team. One thing I would say is that if you have the choice I would always get your automation completed by a professional team rather than manual testers looking to become automated testers. Whilst the costs may seem higher initially I’ve yet to see a manual team introduce robust, maintainable automation anywhere near the timescales that a professional team can achieve. Automation is an art.

ROI isn’t just limited to pricing/licensing. Whilst it is an initial selling point, resource availability, skill requirements etc is what I see as the fundamental cost savers toward your ROI.

Maintenance is a cost killer in automation, so if you haven’t implemented a modular, data driven framework (which requires a skilled team) then I still believe the commercial tools will provide you with a better ROI. As I’ve said above however, if you do have a choice, hire a skilled team as then you will be able to get away with using free tools such as Selenium. The resource will have experience with those products, hence will also be able to implement a maintenance efficient framework in a cost effective manner.

What other advice do I have?

Skilled resources! I can’t push that point enough. You need at least one highly skilled resource to be responsible for the architecture of your framework as long term maintenance will be your largest cost, followed by actual implementation time.

A skilled resource can then help to transfer their knowledge across to less technical resources. Ultimately a good architect will aim to abstract the technical as much as possible to enable non-technical team members to also assist with the automation process. People ofter refer to this as a “script less” approach. Whilst this is nothing new, there is still a lot of contention around this topic, particularly from automation “guru’s” as generally speaking most framework still required a lot of coding, and “scriptless” frameworks simply don’t provide the flexibility of their coded counterparts.

I do believe however that it will become the way of the future and is achievable by continuous abstraction of functionality within your frameworks to eventually get to a point where hardly any code is required to “build your script”. Essentially only data is required to run your automated scenario. Not just data driven in a sense of providing your input/expected result data, but data driven at the object/automation artefact level. Also the more that you can automate the process of producing that data, the better. It is similar to the modularisation of code, only you’re not modularising data.

This is something we’ve achieved for our company. I refer to it as “Model Based Automation” as we use a model hierarchy for managing all of our application objects. A data dictionary as such. This model can be built manually, or automatically scraped from an application using rules. This has the hidden advantage of also enabling you to automatically track object interaction coverage across your application under test via automation. This has enabled us to reduce our code footprint from over 250,000+ lines of code to just 6,000, whilst automating most of what would usually be a manual process of producing code.

Once again however as you can see we’re now referring to frameworks, and not the tools themselves. Obviously building the frameworks themselves takes time and skill. The real skill is making the frameworks generic enough that they are no longer application dependant.

Application Development Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Using the "User Defined" functions has helped me a lot in testing my applications in different ways, but the SQL Connector should implement user-defined queries.

Valuable Features:

It allows users to insert code.

Improvements to My Organization:

Using the "User Defined" functions has helped me a lot in testing my applications in different ways.

Room for Improvement:

SQL Connector has a lot of improvements to make, and they need to implement user-defined queries.

Also, the invoke function doesn't work as it should to select the items down in the scroll tab.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for one year.

Deployment Issues:

No issues encountered.

I've never had a chance to interact with the service provider.

Initial Setup:

I would rate it average -- neither straightforward nor complex.

ROI:

Overall, it's a good product.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The product is a bit expensive, especially the licenses which should be cheaper.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at Coded UI.

Staff Test Development Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Using this product, we have been able create and manage UI automation in the best possible way, but they need to improve their support of different web browsers along with Flash support.

Valuable Features:

UI Automation for web and desktop applications is a valuable feature.

Also, the Studio tool is so easy to use and manage Ranorex projects.

Improvements to My Organization:

Using this product, we have been able create and manage UI automation in the best possible way. It has helped us to improve our product's UI quality.

Room for Improvement:

They need to improve their support of different web browsers along with Flash support. Also very important (at least to our team), Ranorex should provide Python support. Currently they only support C# and VB

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for five years.

Stability Issues:

We need some tricks on instrumenting flex based web applications.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward. You install the .exe and you are done.

Implementation Team:

We installed and did the set-up in-house.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It’s good that Ranorex has not changed to floating runtime licenses. This means that users can have flexibility for the managing of their test environments, and get the best return on their investment of license.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated Selenium and HP Quality Center. We found Ranorex very helpful in supporting both web and desktop based application. It’s very easy to use.

Other Advice:

It's excellent for desktop based applications (win forms), and the best for web based applications, with some instrumentation tricks on Flex/Flash based applications.

it_user336486 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Test Manager at Konica Minolta Business Solutions Europe GmbH
It brings more accuracy in regression tests, more time for involved people for their daily tasks, and more confidence to the application. However, it needs a better connection to TFS.

Valuable Features

Through Ranorex, we are automating our test cases done for our internal CRM solution. We are using the keyword-driven approach available in Ranorex, and we get benefits from the essential support for Dynamics CRM (all versions). We are using also the runtime feature that runs the test suite independently on the server.

Improvements to My Organization

With this product we are continuously getting rid of manual regression tests that had to happen each deployment manually by key users. It brings more accuracy in regression tests, more time for involved people for their daily tasks, and more confidence to the application. In the future we plan to incorporate automatic execution in the continuous integration process.

Room for Improvement

It needs a better connection to TFS.

Use of Solution

We have been using it for six months in my department.

The application is more stable by comparison to other products on the market that we have considered for test automation.

Communication with the Ranorex support was very effective and straightforward in early phase of incorporating Ranorex into our internal infrastructure. Ranorex is providing us with best practice sessions and code reviews. We appreciate their very quick purchasing cycle.

In the beginning we had small problem with configuring Ranorex License manager in our infrastructure due to our firewall and proxy settings, but with the help of Ranorex support we quickly found the fix to solve the issue.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with an in-house team with the help of a vendor team, but I expect that for companies with less strict network security policies, it would be less of a problem.

ROI

With the incorporation of Ranorex and automation testing in general we are saving a lot of time for our internal people. ROI is calculated at about one year approximately.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We have purchased the premium license with an enterprise package, which includes special care from Ranorex such as code review, high priority in issue solving etc.

Other Solutions Considered

We had an evaluation period to choose most suitable product from ones available on the market and during that we have tried many of them. We have discovered that Ranorex has native support for all technologies and products used within our company, such as SAP, all Microsoft Dynamics products, SharePoint, Kentico, web based portals and others including support for mobile testing. Also, it beats the others in stability, because other products crashed very often once using recording module.

Other Advice

If you are looking for an automation tool that is easy to implement, easy to understand, and works with most of technologies on the market, Ranorex is the appropriate solution for you. So far I can only recommend this product.

it_user334848 - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Software Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The test execution times of our test automation projects were significantly improved. However, it lacks Windows Mobile automation.

What is most valuable?

Live tracking along with capturing the RX path of objects, and cross browser testing is the most valuable feature of this product. Also, its seamless integration with any test management tool is the best feature.

How has it helped my organization?

In total, the test execution times of the test automation projects were significantly improved. In conjunction with a new test case design, ease of use, the functionality of the software and C# as the standard programming language, new test cases can be implemented more effectively than with the older software.

The results up to now indicate that much less time is needed for execution with Ranorex robust tests compared to the previously used automation tool

What needs improvement?

Object recognition of Outlook add-ins instead of raw text recognition could be better. Ranorex should also provide features for Windows Mobile automation.

I have been using this tool for the last two years, and I love the way that they have frequent updates that provide new features and support for the latest technology.

8/10.

Ranorex has provided on-line training for my company, particularly for test automation, so 8/10.

I've seen and used many different test automation solutions like HpP QTP. Not only is Ranorex's solution one of the most powerful and easy to use, it has one of the lowest cost entry points resulting in a quicker ROI.

Also, their end user support and communication has been second to none. C# language support is an added advantage of that.

It was very straightforward, just click on the EXE file and it will do the rest automatically.

The initial set-up was quiet simple, and there was no need for any external help.

We found that the tool could also be used in reproducing defects and automating user cases, which were very hard to do manually.

What other advice do I have?

Ranorex doesn't provide automation for Windows Mobile, and lacks some of the basic functions like table comparison etc. Although one can achieve this through C# or VB.net, it would be better if it provides the UI comparison. However, Ranorex uses power of C# to built a highly competitive Automation tool.

You should go for it and it will not let you down.

it_user334857 - PeerSpot reviewer
Professional QA Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
RanoreXPath is very powerful and makes it possible to set-up a strong UI recognition. However, it would be nice to have a way to indicate the coverage of the tests of the application.

Valuable Features

It has a good UI recognition and it is easy to maintain the tests. The RanoreXPath is very powerful and makes it possible to set-up a strong UI recognition even when the design is slightly redesigned. Also reporting is very useful with good description of the executed steps and screenshots when tests fail.

Improvements to My Organization

It made it possible to automate a lot of processes in our Windows Forms applications, and we also plan on using it in a web application. Now, we’re able to execute tests overnight which would be forgotten if we only had manual tests.

Room for Improvement

It would be nice to have a way to indicate the coverage of the tests of the application. Currently there’s nothing available for this, and it’s difficult for Ranorex to have a good implementation of this feature. We need to say that Ranorex gives a lot of support and listens to their customers when there are requests for features.

Use of Solution

We’ve been using this for about two years. We started by using the trial version, and making some test cases. and soon it was clear to us that this was the tool we needed. After two years we’re still expanding the use of the software. We're also constantly updating the software.

At first we needed to become familiar with the software and it took some time to set-up a stable test environment but we were able to become this in the last few months. We’re using Ranorex in combination with Jenkins to trigger the tests and we’re able to run the tests without a real screen.

Ranorex are very polite to their customers.

Their support is always there for you. Even when we were using the trial they gave support while creating some tests by remote sessions etc.

The set-up of Ranorex itself was very straightforward. but getting the tests stable on a remote server required a bit of practicing. Also, we had to find a way to run the tests without a real screen and use it with Jenkins but actually in the end it’s not hard to learn this at all.

Implementation Team

We implemented it completely by ourselves. The implementation depends a bit on the requirements of the organization I think.

ROI

Thanks to Ranorex we were already able to find some bugs we wouldn’t find by our manual tests. It helps us to discover bugs in parts of the software we’re currently not focused on.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The pricing for this product is OK, it might not be cheap for a small company but extending the licenses is a lot cheaper than buying it the first time.

Other Solutions Considered

We compared some solutions like SOAP UI and Selenium but for our use it was clearly that Ranorex was the best option. As Ranorex is based upon C# and the .NET framework and our software is also developed in C#.NET it felt familiar and testers could also get help from developers if required.

Other Advice

Ranorex is a very good product, especially for testing Windows Forms applications but also companies with web applications and mobile applications will be very pleased by the product as it has also perfect UI recognition for these platforms. It’s also easy to learn for non-programming skilled people.

it_user334845 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA/Automation Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It's easy to use the test suite and add test cases to do our product bug fixes, but I would like to see if it can support user devices such as printers.

What is most valuable?

Started with recording and playback and data-driven, later on we used the API with code module.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to use the test suite and add test cases to do our product bug fixes, and software pre-release regression tests, and continuous Integration testing with Jenkins CI tool for each software build test.

What needs improvement?

It needs a more robust capture & replay, and the GUI object recognition needs improvement too. Mobile device testing should not only bbe limited to phones and tablets, I would like to see if it can support user devices such as printers like Ricoh, Xerox, and Konica and their emulators.

I've used it for around three years.

8/10

We tried QTP many years ago, which was good but expensive. Also, Selenium is limited to browser and mobile, and does not support desktop app.

It very straightforward. So good, and easy.

The license types can be confusing.

it_user334842 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Test Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to navigate through logs and find the bugs, but it's not compatible with the continuous integration we use internally.

Valuable Features

Test Suite layout and the logs. It is easy to navigate through logs and find the bugs. Ranorex improved our ui automation by providing handy features such as WaitForExists, Exists, Enabled, Visible

Improvements to My Organization

We have a flex application and it is difficult to use Java/Selenium, Ranorex helped to automate these flex application and improved our test coverage to deliver a bug free application.

Room for Improvement

Their logs are not compatible with the continuous integration we use internally. We have to parse the log file to extract the details. And we can view those logs/test results only in the Ranorex add on enabled browser which is IE, we tried in Firefox we keep getting this version of Firefox version is not supported. Ranorex should at-least say which version of Firefox it will support.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year.

It's good - 8/10.

It's straightforward.

Test Engineer at a newspaper with 501-1,000 employees
We can now perform automatic testing of a web solution every night and after every deployment, but it needs more possibilities on mobile devices.

Valuable Features

• Easy to use - without any dev skills you can automate some nice things
  • C# or VB.NET is used for development, and you can find a lot of information online
  • Fast email support and a forum with several experienced users and Ranorex employees on it
  • Online webinars to help you get started
  • We can combine Ranorex with Jenkins and JIRA. We can store our test results in a database, configure our email templates, and create libraries so we can easily reuse code.

Improvements to My Organization

• Automatic testing of a web solution every night and after every deployment
  • Every morning we get a test status of our different brands. We've created status pages that read the test status from a database, so we get a clear overview of all the tests that have been running at night or after each deployment
  • Everybody have access to our status pages and can have a look of the status of a specific test

Room for Improvement

More possibilities on mobile devices, as we have already encountered some problems with iFrames integrated in a web page.

Use of Solution

We bought this solution more than a year ago, in March 2014.

It's at a high level, as we always get a clear and fast answer. There’s also a lot of activity on the Ranorex forum.

Setup and installation was straightforward. If you watch the online webinars, you can easily start with recording test steps. If you have previous experience with C# or VB.NET in visual studios, you won’t have any problems developing in Ranorex. Otherwise, you can find a lot of information online how to expand your recorded modules with additional code.

Implementation Team

We did the implementation by ourselves, it was not that difficult to install and add the license key.

ROI

Previously, we had to check and test every night the same test sets, and after every deployment a basic check of several test cases was needed. To do that, we needed a full time person to do that. Now, we can focus on new functionalities after each deployment.

Other Solutions Considered

We did some tests with Selenium, but you still need a lot of dev skills to setup and write an automated test.

Other Advice

Try the free trial and have a look at the several demo videos.

it_user333708 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Developer/Tester at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It has the ability to cover large amounts of testing with minimal coding, but it needs less changes to the code when modifying a repository.

Valuable Features

Ranorex Recorder records and replays keyboard and mouse actions performed by the user.

Improvements to My Organization

It forced many developers to stick with conventions and organizational coding practices.

Room for Improvement

Less changes to the code when modifying a repository. Any minor change to a repository can result in a version control system nightmare, making it more difficult when working in teams.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year.

Yes, however many issues were in-house. Those that were not, were typically dealt with expediently with an update or offered support.

Customer Service: It's above average.

It's above average.

It was pretty straightforward.

Implementation Team

We performed implementation in-house. The difficulty of implementation can scale with the size and complexity of your software project, it can become quite a daunting task.

My advice is that you back up and test your current project in a separate environment. Start small, and dedicate time to learning the different Ranorex tools and features.

ROI

The returns will always vary depending on the software. It is a great tool for some shops to start out new developers on, helping them learn more about the integral parts of a system. It can be worth it as a learning aid or knowledge base alone.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This is completely based on the project, and a company's willingness to forgo other cheaper alternatives. Ranorex does offer a free trial which should give most customers an idea of what they're getting into.

Other Solutions Considered

We tried several, and we chose Ranorex for it’s ability to cover large amounts of testing with minimal coding.

Other Advice

As a stand alone product Ranorex is quite useful. However, if you plan to implement and merge this with a project that is complex, it requires full automation, API integration, and has a large data set it can be arduous.

it_user333777 - PeerSpot reviewer
ADS Enginner at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
I have been able to run specific tests on different platforms and browsers, but compatibility with different browsers needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

The mobile testing feature is the most valuable feature for me.

How has it helped my organization?

I have been able to run specific tests on different platforms and browsers.

What needs improvement?

The compatibility with different browsers needs to be improved.

I've used it for three to six months.

There were issues with objects identification.

9/10.

9/10.

I tried to use different products Selenium, TestComplete, amongst others, but this was very familiar, fast, adaptable and flexible.

It was simple. Everything was inline, but some features needed support – like creating virtual platforms for testing. Connecting to a real IOS was impossible without a dev account.

Developer/Test Automation Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
It has significantly cut down the time it takes me to run through multiple, repetitive test steps, but it would be great if they supported JavaScript as a usable language to write code modules in.

Valuable Features

The most useful features to me are the ability to write test scripts in C#, and also record/playback any and all test steps. Ranorex Spy is also a very useful tool.

Improvements to My Organization

Ranorex has significantly cut down the time it takes me to run through multiple, repetitive test steps.

Room for Improvement

They should have support for other OS’s, aside from only supporting Windows. It would also be great if they supported JavaScript as a usable language to write code modules in.

Use of Solution

I’ve been using Ranorex for about five to six months.

Ranorex’s customer service is outstanding.

When something is out, I immediately email their tech support and will usually hear back from them within an hour. The forums are also very helpful.

Setting up Ranorex and jumping into your first test suite is extremely easy, even for non-programmers The record/playback feature makes it easy for anyone to automate a test case..

Other Advice

The best advice I can give is geared towards implementation. If you’re capable of writing your own test scripts, then I wouldn’t suggest using the Record/Playback feature at all, aside from maybe looking at the generated code module for help on starting a new test case. There are a lot more constraints that come with using the record/playback method, and you cannot easily implement conditional statements or parameters, like you would be able to in the code modules.

it_user333807 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Lead at a media company with 51-200 employees
The ability to create test scripts with the flexibility to run them as a whole or as individual test steps within the script is valuable, but the UI can be quirky at times.

Valuable Features

The ability to create test scripts with the flexibility to run them as a whole or as individual test steps within the script. This greatly reduces the amount of time spent creating test scripts.

Improvements to My Organization

With completed test automation suites we have greatly reduced the amount of time spent manually regression testing after each software release.

Room for Improvement

The only real complaints I would have would be a bit of quirkiness in the UI at times, but no application is perfect.

Use of Solution

I have used it for about five years.

No issues encountered.

Ranorex customer service has been prompt the couple of times I have contacted them. There was one instance where I had an issue and contacted them for a solution they were unable to provide it, and I ended up finding a work around on my own. The Ranorex user blog is al helpful platform.

The initial set-up is very basic, download the executable and run it just like most other programs.

Implementation Team

We implemented the product in-house. The only tricky part is if using their floating license option, the configurations need to be set up across the network. My current organization is small so we experienced no issues. Implementing on a much larger scale could be a bit tricky.

ROI

The ROI would be the man hours saved by implementing the Automation suite.

Other Solutions Considered

The ROI would be the man hours saved by implementing the automation suite. The pricing for this tool is acceptable for the amount of features it provides and as for licensing we are small company and only have two licenses. I believe they offer some savings based on the number of licenses purchased.

Other Advice

Based on my experience, this would be my tool of choice for test automation. There are many out there but I have yet to find one that offers all of the features mentioned above in one package.

it_user333795 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Test Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Due to the ability to code our own adaptors, the code maintenance effort has been reduced, but they are not engaging model-based testing technologies.​

Valuable Features

Our team highly appreciates the ability to use the Ranorex library directly in code. That has enabled to create our own libraries (we call them adaptors) which access various parts of our product.

Improvements to My Organization

Due to the ability to code our own adaptors, the code maintenance effort has been reduced. We do not use the Ranorex Studio thus there is no “spaghetti code”, which is difficult to maintain, being created.

Room for Improvement

Ranorex has truly been a “little monster” able to access even the most complex custom WPF controls. It is a pity Ranorex is not engaging model-based testing technologies.

Use of Solution

We have been using the product for the past four years and are quite satisfied with its performance.

No issues encountered.

In the rare cases where we have had to contact the technical support, the reply via email came relatively quickly.

All we had to do is to link a couple of .dlls into the automation solution. The complexity was in how to structure the adaptors so that the code maintenance effort could be kept as low as possible, but that had got nothing to do with Ranorex.

Implementation Team

We are a QA team capable of writing automation code, thus we implemented everything in-house. Before implementation, think hard on how to structure your automation code, especially your adaptors.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We have a number of floating licenses.

Other Solutions Considered

We initially tried out the CodedUI by Microsoft, but the coding effort plus the product maturity at that stage convinced us to pick Ranorex.

Other Advice

We have been employing Ranorex in the field of desktop PC application UI automation. In this particular area Ranorex proved to be a perfect choice. Unfortunately we could not gather any experience in the field of web application automation.

Director at IGATE
It allowed us to find critical defects and to automatically execute many scripts, and although I've suggested some improvements to the mobile app, the latest release probably implements them.

What is most valuable?

Very easy to learn and use. In my project, other than me, the rest of the team members are college graduates. I learned this tool and trained them, and they were very effective in using this tool and I was able to show the ROI to the customer quickly with a cost effective solution.

This is not as expensive as other tools in the market, and at the same time it supports desktop, web and mobile applications and that, too, is different from the latest technologies.

I told the Ranorex support team that we are learning and using this tool and their support was excellent. In a few cases, they gave us a walkthrough of using the tools as well.

How has it helped my organization?

Even though my team was small and part-offshore and part-onshore model team, and almost everyone was at graduate level, at the end of year one, I was able to show savings of roughly $90,000 for my customer. We were able to successfully deliver the product to the market on time, and we were able to execute several times to find critical defects, and I can’t imagine executing the scripts that many times manually.

What needs improvement?

I have proposed few suggestions to them in the product improvement area. Including, highlighting the exact object/UI where the error occurs, instead of the entire screen capture. A few additional specific technology support that I requested in mobile at the time, and they have probably implemented this in their latest releases.

We have roughly a year of experience in this tool with different versions & releases of this product.

Not really and there were few challenges in mobile connectivity but got the help from support team and it was fixed then and there.

One of the best tool support teams that I received from any vendor. At the time, there were only few people supporting this tool, but still I was getting a prompt response within 24 hours. Sometimes, I used to get a response in one to two hours and the support person would call me to help me to fix the issue - 9/10.

My customer did not use any other solutions before.

It was straightforward and very easy set up.

My team implemented it for a customer.

With a small team of one onshore person and three offshore people, I was able to show the value of $90,000 savings for a project as a POC and the customer is currently using this tool for several other projects in their organization after seeing the ROI for one project.

I got to the break even point in eight months. Based on the number of times it was executed, I believe seven times full regression suite execution and six defect retesting scripts (only for failed scripts) to get ROI. If you use it for bigger project with bigger team, I am sure you may be even able to see better ROI.

To give more specific details, In one year we did the following tasks

• Learnt the Ranorex automation tool
  • Used college grads effectively
  • Understood the application
  • Identified reusable components
  • Designed an automation framework
  • Developed 1386 automation scripts with a team of one onshore person and three offshore people with various complexities of test cases
  • Executed those scripts for each iteration
  • Maintained and modified those scripts for any enhancements or application changes

My customer wanted me to do the tool analysis and provide recommendations. I evaluated several tools and picked this because it is easy to learn and use, even at graduate entry level college, and I was able to show the value to the customer by running the scripts in ROI. Multiple technology support and very good Object SPY feature.

What other advice do I have?

Like any other automation tools, first understand the application, identify the reusable components, define the automation framework, and start writing the scripts in Ranorex. Don’t directly start converting the test cases to automation test scripts without setting up the framework. Even if you directly convert test cases to automation test scripts when there are changes comes in the application it is easy to fix it in Ranorex than any other automation tools. Very user friendly tool.

QA Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
We are in full production executing thousands of test cases, multiple time per sprints across various platforms. However, I would like to see a load balancing tool for test execution.

What is most valuable?

The ability to use code (C#) to control the testing operations as well as the minimal training to get team members up to speed and productive have been valuable features for us.

How has it helped my organization?

As a company, we have tried several approaches to institute automated front-end testing with limited short term success. Currently, we are in full production executing thousands of test cases, multiple time per sprints across various platforms. By doing this we have freed up the team to -

1. Do more automation; and
  2. Conduct in-depth testing not done previously.

The end results are a significant drop in customer-found defects.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Ranorex come up with a load balancing tool for test execution. For example, if I set up 10 VMs as UI clients I would love to be able to provide this group to the test suite so it would send test executions to the next available client. The result would be that I finish testing as soon as possible.

Also, I would like to see the popup watchers be launched conditionally, and not each as a thread running in the background. For example, if there is a hang in the execution you launch a watcher and check for condition A. If not condition A then launch second watcher and look for condition B.

We have been using Ranorex as our primary UI automation tool for over three years.

We did in fact encounter problems when deploying the tool and to some degree we are still handling some of these problems. The first problem we came across was not unique to Ranorex but was the fact that our front end was applet based and none of the tools explored could interact with the applets in any consistent way.

We had tried out several tools including the high-end HP suite (with help from one of their architects) with very unstable results. When it came to Ranorex, at least it was stable and we were able to consistently run X,Y coordinate scenarios. Base on that we instrumented the applet code and were able to access it via the User Code modules.

We have in fact had several failed attempts at automation with our product and have been evaluating tools all along. The reason we ultimately settled on Ranorex was a combination of its current state and our being able to overcome problems as the occurred.

Setup is simple and straightforward. The integration with SVN was simple, and the license server was very simple.

By our calculations we are now getting a return of 50% time saved in team efforts, making the team 50% more productive.

It’s always a good idea to negotiate price with vendors to get the best possible deals balance the numbers of licenses with the group/bulk discounts.

What other advice do I have?

Given the makeup and technical level of our entire team and the product we are developing. This was and continues to be a good fit.

Make sure it fits with your team goals and products. Consider the profiles of folk you will need to hire to implement and maintain the testing. There is a stigma with being in QA as opposed to being a developer, so you may implement a tool that is hard to hire for. Take for example Selenium, lots of QA want it on their resume because they can demand more compensation, the profile needed is that of a developer.

Sample results

Automation Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
All our automation teams' suites are now more robust and accurate, but they need to focus more on the coding modules.

What is most valuable?

We primarily use the libraries provided by Ranorex to access our application, and the Ranorex Spy, to view the current application's object model.

How has it helped my organization?

By using this product, we have been able to explore some more advanced strategies in developing our automation which has been able to carry over to other automation teams. This has made all of our automation teams suites more robust and accurate with their testing.

What needs improvement?

There is too much focus on the drag-and-drop features of Ranorex, and not enough focus on the coding modules which we use extensively. As a programmer, would like to be able to come up with a code only interface so that features such as the Test Suite don't have to be used if they don't want to be.

I've used it for around two years.

For a very long time, we were running into crashes with either Ranorex or Ranorex's utility (UIALauncher) which would stop our testing dead in its tracks. These areas would then need to be run test by test, and not in whole batches at a time. We eventually tracked the issue down ourselves to be a rare condition between Ranorex and Windows 8, where both systems were trying to access an element at the same time, and was failing.

Other then not being able to track down the issue above that was plaguing us for quite some time, the Ranorex customer support has been great. The only complaint would be that at one time, we were having issues with our licensing, and while one of our engineers was talking to them for a while. All of a sudden, they said that they were required only the primary account holder to talk to them, which needlessly required a third party to get involved in what was a very minor issue.

When we started evaluating Ranorex, we were already using a number of other products for the various platforms we run automaiton against. Unfortunately, none of the products we were using at the time had the capability to automate Windows 8 apps. Ranorex's ability to do this (the only product we found at the time that could) is the reason we chose the product.

Setup and installation of Ranorex was extremely straightforward. However, getting the initial script running was a bit complex, as we soon found that parts of our application weren't accessible through Ranorex, and the way Ranorex wanted us to create scripts wasn't intuitive to us. We eventually opted out of "their way" of doing things, which is more for a non-coding QA person, and opted for a 99% programming method.

All implementation is done in house with a small team of three to four engineers. My best advice for implementation is that if you can, try to go through a pure programming route with your implementation, and not through the recorded modules. While it may be more time investment in the beginning, it will pay off in the end because you will have a more robust suite that will scale much better then using the "standard" Ranorex Route.

Ranorex, like many other automation tools is expensive. I highly suggest planning out how many licenses you need ahead of time, and try to plan your suite to use as many licenses as possible. With this approach you should be able to get as much testing done as possible without breaking the bank with licensing costs.

Download our free Ranorex Studio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022