Proofpoint Email Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Proofpoint Email Protection is the #1 ranked solution in top Office 365 Protection tools and #2 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Proofpoint Email Protection an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Proofpoint Email Protection is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Office 365: Proofpoint Email Protection vs Microsoft Defender for Office 365. Proofpoint Email Protection is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Proofpoint Email Protection?

Proofpoint Email Protection is a machine learning email gateway that catches both known and unknown threats. Through Target Attack Protection, emails will be analyzed and potentially blocked from advanced threats while users gain visibility around these threats. The technology can also classify various types of email and can be deployed both on premises or as a cloud service. In addition, users can tag suspicious emails to help raise user awareness and track down any email quickly.

Proofpoint Email Protection offers Advanced BEC Defense, which can precisely detect and block different types of emails, even if they don’t involve a malicious payload, such as business email compromise (BEC). Email Protection, which is powered by NexusAI, is a sophisticated detection technique developed to stop a variety of kinds of email fraud from affecting compromised accounts. It’s specifically designed to analyze message components, such as the sender’s IP address (including reputation and x-originating IP), the message header, and the message body. Using machine learning and AI, it will then determine if that message is a BEC threat.

Benefits of Proofpoint Email Protection

Proofpoint Email Protection is a favorite for organizations looking to utilize their cybersecurity budget accurately, and provides the user with incredible visibility. While preventing email fraud, the technology can also detect and block advanced malware as well as identifying possible risks.

Email Protection offers many benefits, including:

• Email warning tag - Raise user awareness and reduce the risk of possible compromises by automatically tagging suspicious emails.

• Gain granular control of unwanted email - Gain control over low-priority emails through granular email filtering, which can pinpoint gray mail, like newsletters and bulk mail.

• Multi-layered detection - Defend against continuous evolving threats with reputation and content analysis. Email Protection offers a dynamic classification of various emails, including malware, spam, phishing, imposter threats, and bulk email.

• Smart search - Track down an email based on dozens of search criteria in seconds. Smart search also provides the ability to trace where emails came from.

Reviews from Real Users

Proofpoint Email Protection enables business continuity capabilities through their machine learning, AI-powered email gateway. With its innovative approach toward detecting, analyzing, identifying, and blocking advanced threats, users can gain unique visibility into their business data environments. Users especially like the ability to block spam, as well as the business email compromise protection.

An anonymous reviewer who is a principal consultant at a tech company, notes, "Proofpoint is the main tool for blocking spam because it denies the connection altogether."

Sridhar R., a security professional at Qatar Computer Services WLL, writes, "The most valuable features are the business email compromise protection and targeted attack prevention."

Proofpoint Email Protection was previously known as Proofpoint Enterprise Protection.

Proofpoint Email Protection Customers

Blocket, University of Waterloo, Lincoln Memorial University, WellSpan Health, U-Haul, Carestream Health, Westinghouse

Proofpoint Email Protection Video

Archived Proofpoint Email Protection Reviews (more than two years old)

Luis Brown - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Information Security Officer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and capable anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection solution
  • "Its anti-phishing functionality is the most valuable. Certainly, the biggest problem I have is phishing."
  • "It has too many screens. It is kind of a conglomeration of products. In other words, they built product A, product B, and product C, and they are yet to integrate them into a single administrative console. I would certainly like to see a more seamless administrative interface. I would also like to see them include more bang for the buck, by including features like email fraud protection, rather than making their product so piecemeal, where you are buying little pieces. I agree with the idea of having multiple tiers or layers, but maybe as small, medium, and large, as opposed to an a la carte menu."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in front of Office 365 for anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Proofpoint Email Protection has reduced the analyst overhead in responding to phishing incidents by several orders of magnitude. We did not have the resources to respond directly to all Phishing Reports under the old system  With automated responses, we are able to address all Phishing Reports automatically.

What is most valuable?

Its anti-phishing functionality is very valuable to the organization.  As outlined above, we are able to automatically respond to Phishing Reports as well as stop as much as 80% of most Phishing Attacks at the front end leaving only a small percentage to be handled after the fact.

What needs improvement?

It has too many screens. It is kind of a conglomeration of products. In other words, they built product A, product B, and product C, and they are yet to integrate them into a single administrative console. I would certainly like to see a more seamless administrative interface.

I would also like to see them include more bang for the buck, by including features like email fraud protection, rather than making their product so piecemeal, where you are buying little pieces. I agree with the idea of having multiple tiers or layers, but maybe as small, medium, and large, as opposed to an a la carte menu.

Proofpoint Email Protection
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Proofpoint Email Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is very stable.

It is fairly scalable. When we had a problem with capacity on one of the clusters, we simply added more members. We have probably 32,000 to 34,000 users in a given period.

Their technical support is mediocre. It could be better. They're a little slow to respond at times, and depending on the product, they're not always very knowledgeable. In one case, I had to fix it myself and show their tech how to fix it.

I found it to be fairly straightforward. It had medium complexity. The deployment was very fairly fast. I did it in about three to four hours.

Annually, it costs us about $92,000. This is pretty much what it costs us. There is no additional cost.

I evaluated Microsoft ATP or Microsoft Advanced Threat Protection. I also evaluated Mimecast at least at face value. I also looked at GreatHorn technologies.

What other advice do I have?

They're the best in the breed. I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection a ten out of ten for the capability of doing its job. I am happy with this solution.

Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Supportive and responsive technical support with good security rules
  • "They have customized security rules, mature rules, anti-virus protection, as well as email authentication similar to SPF, DKIM, and DMARC."
  • "They do not have an on-demand scan for the internal viruses and internal users, and they don't have a scan for the exchange server against viruses and spam as Symantec does."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and this is a product that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The sandbox update is very accurate.

They have customized security rules, mature rules, anti-virus protection, as well as email authentication similar to SPF, DKIM, and DMARC.

What needs improvement?

They do not have an on-demand scan for the internal viruses and internal users, and they don't have a scan for the exchange server against viruses and spam as Symantec does.

Also, they are not able to scan multiple engines as McAfee does.

I would like to see a feature included as an email security gateway the way that Symantec does.

I have been using Proofpoint Email Protection for seven months.

It's a stable product.

I believe that it is scalable, but we have not explored that area yet.

Technical support is very supportive and they respond immediately.

The initial setup was very easy, and straightforward. It only takes one day to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection a nine out of ten.

reviewer1458411 - PeerSpot reviewer
reviewer1458411Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees

Proofpoint is able to scan with multiple engines. and can scan internal mails with an additional solution (internal mail defense).

Proofpoint Email Protection
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CISO at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability and a straightforward setup with good URL rewrite capabilities
  • "The initial implementation is pretty easy to handle."
  • "We find the cost to be prohibitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to block malicious email and spam in bulk.

What is most valuable?

The URL rewrites on the solution are excellent.

The system offers good flexibility.

The initial implementation is pretty easy to handle.

The solution is quite reliable and doesn't fail.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to better detect emails that don't have a malicious payload. They need to ensure those that have a link to a malicious Google Drive or something like that are captured.

We find the cost to be prohibitive.

Their smart search needs to be much more intuitive and flexible.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze and we don't experience bugs or glitches. It's quite reliable.

We don't plan on increasing the solution's usage in the future.

Technical support is very, very good. We've found them to be knowledgeable and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was pretty straightforward.

The solution is quite expensive.

Right now, we're paying about $80,000.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using.

The advice that I would give to other companies who are considering using the solution is to really test the systems, even for outlandish attacks, to see if it will hold up.

For me personally, I actually have two Proofpoint accounts. I have a Proofpoint account for something completely unrelated to B&H and I was able to prove that's almost anything you think of you can do, although it might not say in the documentation or the people at Proofpoint might not think of that scenario, however, it's still a way to achieve almost everything you were trying to achieve with your email filter.

The flexibility is unbelievable. And you could get very creative. You just need to be very careful to not mess it up. However, you could get extremely creative to accommodate real case scenarios.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Director with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and set up with excellent anti-spam features
  • "The anti-spam features are excellent on the email firewalls."
  • "The solution could be improved with the addition of PLP and email encryption features."

What is our primary use case?

Proofpoint is number one in terms of market share worldwide. We recommend it to clients because of its rich features. It offers a lot of choices. We primarily use the solution because of its rich features in email protection. It also provides protection for the cloud. It provides backup targeted attack protection features as well.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very simple.

The anti-spam features are excellent on the email firewalls.

The program's interface is easy to use. We've found that end-users have been very happy in terms of the usage provided and the delivery of an email solution that protects them.

What needs improvement?

The search functionality is quite small. It could be a bit more in-depth. Right now, it's a bit simple.

Our company has been working with Proofpoint for two years.

The stability of the solution is fine. We haven't had any negative feedback from any of our customers.

We have contacted technical support in the past. However, Proofpoint offers access to technical support via a portal for end-users. Sometimes end-users can't access the portal. In this case, technical support is largely directly through the vendors.

The initial setup is straightforward. We found it quite easy.

Deployment took approximately two to three days. It does, however, depend on the customer-commissioned network setup.

We supply the solution to the end-user.

The pricing is relative; it's not a fixed amount, so it's hard to discuss exact numbers.

What other advice do I have?

Our company is a direct partner of Proofpoint and not an end-user. Since I don't have too much experience with usage, I don't think I can speak to it as well as a typical user. We work with Email Protection and Targeted Attack Protection.

We handle the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I'm very happy with it, and even one year after implementation I haven't had any issues with it or had any customers who were displeased with the solution.

Information Security Officer at UC San Diego Health System
Advanced protection allows us to remove messages before they are officially classified as bad

What is our primary use case?

We use Proofpoint for advanced email protection from a number of threats, including phishing and account spoofing.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has reduced the number of phishing and spoofed emails that we have received.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to remove bad messages that were delivered, prior to being classified as unwanted.

What needs improvement?

Proofpoint should have better integration with complex environments that need more than one instance of Proofpoint, as there are issues with nested instances.

We have been using this solution for six months.

Download our free Proofpoint Email Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022