We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Okta Workforce Identity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Okta Workforce Identity is #1 ranked solution in top ZTNA services, #2 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers, and #2 ranked solution in top Access Management tools. PeerSpot users give Okta Workforce Identity an average rating of 8 out of 10. Okta Workforce Identity is most commonly compared to Google Cloud Identity: Okta Workforce Identity vs Google Cloud Identity. Okta Workforce Identity is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Okta Workforce Identity?

Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta, IT can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or the applications are in the cloud, on-premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps IT become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance. Okta is an on-demand identity and access management service for web based applications, both in the cloud and behind the firewall.

Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide

Download the Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Okta Workforce Identity Customers

Box, Groupon, National Geographic, Western Union, DocuSign

Okta Workforce Identity Video

Archived Okta Workforce Identity Reviews (more than two years old)

Application Support Leader at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Stable sign-on with provisioning and has the ability to enable and disable features
  • "This solution allows us to do the provisioning. Also the most important for us is the ability to enable and disable features to employees as they onboard and offboard."
  • "I don't know if it is possible to make it simpler to use or simpler to understand, but that would be the most important thing to improve."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is a single sign-on software. We apply a menu to everyone in the company with software that they have access to and allowing them to use that as a single point of sign-on for all of their applications.

What is most valuable?

This solution allows us to do the provisioning. Also the most important for us is the ability to enable and disable features for employees as they onboard and offboard.

What needs improvement?

It is a complex solution, and you need a good understanding of how to use it correctly. Otherwise, you can't take full advantage of what it offers and it becomes difficult to use.

In the next release, I would like to see them add other solutions to their suite of products.

I would like to see better integration with other software.

The ability to do the provisioning is a great feature and there is some software where they can sign-on but they can't do the provisioning.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

We are a medium-sized company and we haven't run into any issues.

We have just under one thousand users.

We have contacted the technical support and it has been very good.

We had some issues that involved cross-company problems. Because Okta as a single source sign-on that also integrates with several other products there can be a lot of issues.

Sometimes you need to involve other companies as well.

We had one similar issue and it was resolved nicely. It took some time, but they managed it from a central point easily until it was successfully resolved.

This is the first Single Sign-On solution that we have been using.

The initial setup is simple.

We did not use a vendor or an integrator to implement this solution, we did it ourselves.

Before choosing, we did a proof of concept for both Okta and OneLogin and we like the way Okta integrated.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I think that people have to first do a good mapping of how their use case needs to be installed so that they can do it as easily as possible.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Very good one-factor authentication, good integration capabilities, and very good stability
  • "The most valuable aspects of the solution are the integration with external websites one-factor authentication."
  • "The solution lacks an on-premises deployment model so it can't offer a hybrid solution. It would be ideal if clients had options that weren't just cloud-based."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to access cloud solutions and VDI

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution are the integration with external websites one-factor authentication.

What needs improvement?

I've been familiar with the solution for two years.

The stability of the solution is fine.

I've never contacted technical support. I've only ever used web pages to assist me with questions, and that has been enough.

We previously used Workspace One Access Solutions from VMware. In fact, we're using it as well as Okta, so we never really switched.

The initial setup is almost completely straightforward. The identity action is complex, so it makes it just a bit difficult.

Customers should use an integrator to help assist in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is very good. Okta is, in my opinion, one of the leaders at the moment on the Polish market. However, there is some limited usability because of the requirements.

We use the cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Okta Workforce Identity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Principal/Director at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
The Multi-Factor Authentication capability lets you address one of the biggest challenges around security, to make it hard for adversaries to get into your systems.

What is our primary use case?

• Supporting SaaS implementations from corporate login.
  • I'm a consultant and have worked with Okta at two clients. Both had started to leverage Okta for single sign-on to SaaS services and internal systems. One was more advanced, the other was only doing limited federation and not taking advantage of the power of Okta.

How has it helped my organization?

Okta improved both organizations where I've worked with it:

• Better Single Sign-On (reducing the number of passwords)
  • Improved accountability (to know what users were doing, and where they were working on Identity and authentication services)
  • Authentication (where Okta's own MFA solutions or work in combination with Duo were very useful for strengthening the security of major systems)

What is most valuable?

Okta's great for their federation capabilities where it lets the IT team enable business with anyone using common federation features across SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, and internal applications. The Multi-Factor Authentication capability lets you address one of the biggest challenges around security - MFA to make it hard for adversaries to get into your systems.

What needs improvement?

Better multi-factor authentication integration and support, it's around v2.0 and will need a 3.0 release for maturity.

Marc Johannes
Service Desk Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It made things a lot easier, especially with passwords
  • "It made things a lot easier, especially with passwords."
  • "On the admin side, we can create our own passwords instead of generating one, which is usually difficult to explain to a user."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an SSO hub for applications to be added/removed from users' profiles and troubleshooting, as well as an active directory.

I work at a service desk providing IT support to PayU international and Naspers.

How has it helped my organization?

It made things a lot easier, especially with passwords. You have one password that you have to remember, not a thousand for each application that you use for work.

What is most valuable?

We can have all our applications in one central base where you can log into it and access it without having to enter your password for each application. This is because it saves your credentials and updates them accordingly.

What needs improvement?

On the admin side, we can create our own passwords instead of generating one, which is usually difficult to explain to a user. Otherwise, the application is pretty awesome.

Jaskeerat Singh
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Provides a wide range of MFA options, my preference being Okta Verify

What is our primary use case?

We used this solution for provisioning more than one and a half LAC users and integrating more than 300 applications. SSO and MFA has been implemented on almost all applications. MFA options used: RSA token, Okta Verify, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Integrating more than 300 applications is quite tough. With the help of Okta and its outstanding user friendly UI, things went fairly easily.

What is most valuable?

The ease of JIT provisioning. Wide range of MFA options. I prefer "Okta Verify" out of them all. Last, but not least, the ease of writing rules.

What needs improvement?

RESTful Web Service calls and their response seem a bit slow.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• The ease of JIT provisioning.
  • Wide range of MFA options. I prefer "Okta Verify" out of them all.
  • Last, but not least, the ease of writing rules.

What needs improvement?

RESTful Web Service calls and their response seem a bit slow.

Application Support Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Effective integration tool, makes provisioning and deprovisioning management easy
  • "Other than Okta being an easy and awesome integration tool, one of the best features it has is the provisioning and deprovisioning, which makes management way easier. You don't need to be too technical to understand how it works."

What is our primary use case?

Okta is not just an identity provider (IdP) since, with the help of SAML, it can also be a service provider (SP), which then allows it to integrate with a different identity provider. In other words, it provides SSO. In my organization, we use Okta as a centralized solution for our multiple platforms. With just one login users are able to access any associated platforms without having to log in multiple times.

How has it helped my organization?

All our logins work seamlessly without having to log in multiple times. With multiple applications, you tend to forget your credentials for some of the applications. Some applications have different password policies. With Okta, all of these is centralized. You only need one password, one setup, one policy and one login.

What is most valuable?

They also have a good knowledge base that helps end-user to self-serve.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the interface could use some work but, for the most part, the tool is pretty cool.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Okta 10 out of 10 for being an awesome IdP. The API alone is amazing, not to mention the features and integration they have. Compare to other IdPs, Okta uses a dashboard that displays all the associated/linked services, which is really helpful when you have multiple services. It's really an easy tool and their support is great.

it_user877146
    Sr. Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Enables us to automate provisioning and deprovisioning of accounts
    • "The feature that is most valuable to me is the automated user provisioning that we set up using Okta as a major part of that process."
    • "We still had to write several internal programs/scripts to complete the user-provisioning process. Okta does not have the ability to provision mailbox accounts for on-premise Exchange or in a hybrid O365 environment. The Group Push function from Okta to AD did not work reliably in our environment."

What is our primary use case?

We use Okta primarily for user-provisioning and as an SSO portal for access to our applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization has a fairly high turnover rate so having an automated process for provisioning and de-provisioning of accounts saves a lot of time from an administration perspective.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is most valuable to me is the automated user provisioning that we set up using Okta as a major part of that process. We put the process in to save time and increase accuracy in the user-provisioning process. Most everything is driven from our HR system thereby limiting manual input and duplication of work when provisioning accounts. Accounts are disabled as soon as the account is terminated in the HR system.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of rating Okta, it is always hard for me to say, as I have not used any other product to perform the functions we use Okta for, so I really don’t have a comparison. There are some things that Okta does very well – SSO being one of those so for that part I would rate it as a nine or 10 out of 10. For the provisioning part, we did have several issues that we have to work through, so for that aspect, I would rate it somewhere around a six to eight out of 10.

Information Security Design Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides better security posture by using SAML and MFA

What is our primary use case?

SSO integration with an on-premise Active Directory environment Universal Directory synchronization and leverage UD to integrate with other cloud federated applications O365 SSO integration

How has it helped my organization?

O365 integration, moving away from straight LDAP integrations for applications that reside in the cloud to true SAML functionality. Provides better security posture by using SAML and MFA.

What is most valuable?

UD SSO functionality MFA and Adaptive MFA functionality Ability to link multiple Directory databases with UD

What needs improvement?

UD attribute mapping, Okta group rules, and dynamic usage could use improvement. More in-depth functionality and features to integrate with RADIUS solutions.

For how long have I used

What is our primary use case?

• SSO integration with an on-premise Active Directory environment
    • Universal Directory synchronization and leverage UD to integrate with other cloud federated applications
    • O365 SSO integration

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• UD
    • SSO functionality
    • MFA and Adaptive MFA functionality
    • Ability to link multiple Directory databases with UD

Systems Engineer II at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    App assignment and SAML integrations are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

• User provisioning
    • User deprovisioning
    • App assignment
    • SAML integrations

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to deploy solutions rapidly and also have a better idea on licensing as we can easily see who has access, who has been accessing and also who is not using an app.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see further integrations with applications and services such as Office 365.

Between my last two jobs, I have used it for about seven years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues whatsoever.

We have not encountered any stability issues; this is a very stable platform.

With over 2500 users, we have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent. We don't have to worry when we have an issue; they are always on top of it.

Technical support is 9/10; very professional and solid.

I have had experience with Ping and ADFS but not at the places I have worked; only with customers.

We do a lot with Okta but the setup was still very easy.

An in-house team implemented it.

We do things much faster and have a much better understanding of utilization and licensing. We are more agile and, therefore, more productive and faster to act.

It's worth the investment. Make sure you fully utilize Okta, even if it takes professional services.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated Ping and ADFS.

Technology Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
    We've used it to integrate our HRIS system with Active Directory/Office 365.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We've integrated our HRIS system with our Active Directory/Office 365 using Okta. We're able to shift away from Active Directory as a master and allows us to be more mobile with our remote employees. Account creation and disabling people on time has made our team more productive.

What needs improvement?

• A couple of improvements with the lifecycle management that will help companies that don't have an HRIS system to help manage contractors and contingent workers would be to add ways to disable their accounts once a certain time point is designated.
    • Also, an improvement to the reporting capabilities can make running reports easier and more customizable.

I have used it for four years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues. The support team has been amazing.

There was just one small downtime with the DNS attack that affected many cloud companies.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent.

Techncial support is excellent.

We did not previously use a different solution. Okta was the industry leader.

We implemented it in house with the consulting team.

What other advice do I have?

The Okta application network is a huge component of the company that will grow with the industry. If customers are asking for things, then Okta will consider adding it.

Download our free Okta Workforce Identity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.