IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetIQ Identity Governance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetIQ Identity Governance is #14 ranked solution in top Identity Management (IM) tools. PeerSpot users give NetIQ Identity Governance an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. NetIQ Identity Governance is most commonly compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: NetIQ Identity Governance vs SailPoint IdentityIQ. NetIQ Identity Governance is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 37% of all views.

Download the Identity Management (IM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is NetIQ Identity Governance?

NetIQ Identity Governance is a solution that helps any organization run effective access certification campaigns and implement identity governance controls to meet compliance mandates while proactively mitigating risk. Built to get organizations up and running in hours vs the weeks or months of traditional legacy vendors, NetIQ Identity Governance replaces errorprone, time consuming manual methods that can expose your organization to compliance violations and risk from excessive access.

NetIQ Identity Governance was previously known as NetIQ Access Governance Suite, Novell Access Governance Suite.

NetIQ Identity Governance Customers

Western & Southern Financial Group

NetIQ Identity Governance Video

NetIQ Identity Governance Reviews

Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Intuitive, easy to use, and scalable
  • "All three functionalities, access certification, the configuration of duties, and role mining - especially role mining - are very advanced compared with the competition."
  • "The product could use more advanced features related to Identity Intelligence."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for access certification, the configuration of duties, and role mining.

What is most valuable?

All three functionalities, access certification, the configuration of duties, and role mining - especially role mining - are very advanced compared with the competition.

The solution is intuitive and easy to use.

The product is easy to install.

I have found the stability to be quite good.

According to past experience, it scales well.

What needs improvement?

I'd like for better integration with the rest of the identity suite of Micro Focus. For example, I know that in the role up of the solution, they expect to use a common product, a very tight integrated solution with both functionalities, Identity Management and Identity Governance. Both products are separate with connectors between each other, which is a disadvantage as they were both developed by the same vendor. Therefore, they should be, from the beginning, part of an integrated solution. They need to offer something that is fully integrated, which will be very good for customers.

The product could use more advanced features related to Identity Intelligence.

Micro Focus has a product where they combine identity functionalities. Interset which is a data mining tool is a very big flash solution, which combines with the Identity Framework and gives users Identity Intelligence. Micro Focus is starting down this path of showing or gaining more advanced features, which is very good. I expect to see an evolution on this front.

We have been a Micro Focus partner for more than ten years now, however, Identity Governance, we only implemented about four years ago. We had Identity Manager before that and we started with that nearly 10 years ago. It is an older product.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SailPoint, One Identity and others in Identity Management (IM). Updated: July 2022.
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Since the first product we implemented, we have customers that we support via contract where they can call us in case the product fails or something happens. They rarely call us. They usually ask about how to improve new integrations, however, we rarely had support issues with this product in the past - and definitely nothing in relation to stability.

The largest implementation we made with this product was in a bank in Chile and they had more than 12,000 identities. It scaled very well. We were a little worried at first as we had never done something that big. However, it scaled perfectly. There was no problem. I don't know if it would hold up if we implemented it in a bigger customer, for example, someone with 100,000 identities. I don't know for sure how it would behave in this case. That said, I've never had an issue.

In initial implementation is very easy. It's not too difficult.

We usually deliver this kind of project with a team of three people. One project manager is typically involved just in the project management task and then one functional guy, as we have to interact sometimes with the business side and the access certification, et cetera. You have to tell them about the purpose and the interface and how we expect them to respond. Then, there are one or two technical people needed that implement the software at the beginning and then integrate each application of the customer. We usually have a mix of compromise and cloud applications and different flavors and types of architectures. Each project depends on how many applications the customer wants to integrate. Sometimes you need two or three technical people working in parallel just to achieve on the timeline of the project.

With Identity Governance, you have less risk of fraud. It's not a question of how many managers return the costs of efficiency. If you want to improve inefficiency, you have to go to Identity Management. However, with Governance, the return you get is related to the fraud you prevent. Therefore, you definitely have a return on investment as you avoid trouble in the future.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners.

We are using the latest version of the solution, which may be version 4.5.

This solution is a very good first step where you don't need to have all the processes formally defined or all the privileges well assigned. It doesn't matter as it allows you to gain visibility and start deleting the unnecessary privileges and to start erasing accounts or deleting accounts that no longer are necessary. You can do this due to the fact that you can match every identity to the corresponding employee profile. For example, if an account doesn't exist in human resources, then you can delete it as an orphan account easily. It allows our customers or any organization to mature in the path of implementing in a second step, an Identity Manager, which is the second tool that they can add. Once they have the privileges well defined, and they start to formally automate all the processes.

How you govern the user life cycle is the second step. We usually suggest clients start with Identity Governance and then continue with Identity Management just to automate. That said, usually, the customers are not mature enough to automate as they don't want to automate something that is badly defined. If you have a mess in your systems, you first have to clean and then automate. Identity Governance is very good for cleaning.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

IAM Specialist at Clear Intelligence
Has separation of duties and is stable and scalable
  • "I really like the separation of the duties. It is the most ambitious model in the server because you have to create all the different rules, especially business rules. You have to check with the client and set different policies and rules, and then, you to have refine them. You will notice what is bad in the company and where the real problem is."
  • "With NetIQ, you have to install two or more products. It would be better if we could install one product and have one server and one dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed this solution in banks and government institutions.

What is most valuable?

I really like the separation of the duties. It is the most ambitious model in the server because you have to create all the different rules, especially business rules. You have to check with the client and set different policies and rules, and then, you to have refine them. You will notice what is bad in the company and where the real problem is.
You may notice that someone has too much power or not enough power. You may also see that a particular group needs more power to obtain results.

What needs improvement?

With NetIQ, you have to install two or more products. It would be better if we could install one product and have one server and one dashboard.

The initial setup should be improved so that it is easier for new users.

I've been using it on and off since 2015.

It is stable. I haven't seen any problems with it.

There are no problems with scalability.

The technical support from Micro Focus is decent. It is good, but it is not perfect. The time of response needs to be better.

If you are installing it for the first time and have no prior experience, then the initial setup may be hard. Once you have more experience, you will be fine.

What other advice do I have?

IdentityIQ from Sailpoint is better than NetIQ Identity Governance because it works like one product, whereas all the NetIQ products are separate. With IdentityIQ, you have to install one product, and everything is in the same place. You can do everything with one server and one dashboard, so I prefer the IdentityIQ from Sailpoint to Identity Governance from NetIQ.

I would give NetIQ Identity Governance an eight on a scale from one to ten.

July 2022
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Product Manager, Consultor at Assertiva
Good queries and a comparatively powerful catalog, but technical support is horrible
  • "I like the queries and find the catalog to be comparatively powerful."
  • "Technical support is horrible."

What is our primary use case?

When it comes to our clients here in Chile and Argentina, we implement the solution in respect of permissions, discovering accounts and launching access certification. We use the solution for internal auditing purposes.

What is most valuable?

I like the queries and find the catalog to be comparatively powerful. The study sticks graphics are great and simple to use. The current model of the access certification is great. The business role comes with a great model, as well. We make use of all the models.

What needs improvement?

We need more collectors and find them to be very old. The Sales Force collector is too old, as is the one for Azure Active Directory. There are too few collectors, numbering around five.

The maintenance setup should be addressed. I do not feel the solution to be sufficiently stable.

Technical support is horrible.

The Identity Manager integrative capabilities with EDM should have better functioning, as it is not useful. Much work is needed in this regard. Identity Manager is the other Micro Focus solution.

We have much experience with NetIQ Identity Governance and have been implementing it for four years.

I rate the stability as so so. The solution is not very stable.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is lousy.

The solution was very easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I feel NetIQ Identity Governance to be good for discovering accounts through simple implementation.

I rate NetIQ Identity Governance as a six out of ten.

Download our free Identity Management (IM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SailPoint, One Identity, and more!
Updated: July 2022