Microsoft Virtual Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Virtual Server is the #4 ranked solution in top Application Virtualization tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Virtual Server an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Microsoft Virtual Server is most commonly compared to NextAxiom HyperService: Microsoft Virtual Server vs NextAxiom HyperService.
Microsoft Virtual Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Virtual Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Virtual Server?
The most cost-effective server virtualization technology is now available as a free download. Virtual Server is a key component of any server consolidation strategy. Increase hardware utilization and cut power costs while enabling your organization to rapidly configure and deploy new servers.

Microsoft Virtual Server was previously known as Virtual Server, MS Virtual Server.

Microsoft Virtual Server Customers
Paylocity, ASELSAN, Sochi Organizing Committee, Supervisor of Elections, Orange County, Florida, Netgem, Nav Canada, The British & Irish Lions
Microsoft Virtual Server Video

Microsoft Virtual Server Reviews

Systems Analyst/Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good availability and great for running exchanges and managed services
  • "The greatest aspect of the solution is its capability to be available from anywhere."
  • "Support could always be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The typical use base varies due to the fact that, with our client base, we're here, there, and everywhere across the board. It all depends on what direction they want us to go and that we go, or suggest to go. The only places that we would use a virtual server is in an instance of running an exchange. I have also looked at it for running our managed services server on as well.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well for running exchanges and managed services.

What needs improvement?

It's evolving so fast here now I don't know whether a guy can stay ahead of what the next thing should be. It's extremely difficult to keep up right now.

Support could always be a bit better. It's integral to a product. If it's not good, you end up shying away from the product itself. You want to feel assured that the company can help you if you run into trouble. Microsoft is beginning to lose popularity as it's becoming extremely hard to get a hold of anyone. It's a problem.

I've been using the solution for around five years or so. It's been a while at this point.

Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops vs. Microsoft Virtual Server
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops vs. Microsoft Virtual Server and other solutions. Updated: November 2022.
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Most of our clients are small. I'd say 30 users and below. We do have some that are a little bit larger than that, however, predominantly under 50 is where it's at.

I'm not very familiar with the scalability aspect of the solution. It's not something I've dealt with head-on.

The technical support used to be better. These days, Microsoft support is getting harder and harder to reach. It's turning people off. We're less satisfied with it at the moment. Even if you have the proper licensing for the support it doesn't seem to make it easier to connect with them. Microsoft has lost all credibility on this front.

The initial setup can be a bit difficult, and often it's a time when you need to reach out to support.

It's like anything else that's hung out there on the internet. There's a lot of factors that come into play, and sometimes it's not the actual server that's causing the grief. It's the connection through it and all the rest of it.

We have about six people on staff that can assist with any maintenance.

In terms of licensing costs, it varies depending upon how much you need. It all falls together. What is advertised to get started really, in nine times out of 10, doesn't give you enough to run under for any length of time.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using at this time. It's likely one of the latest versions.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Largely, it's a pretty good solution, however, technical support is really lacking right now.

Senior Designer/IT coordinator at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
We don't have a large infrastructure. Just a single VM server with network switches and a firewall.
  • "Everything is fine as far as our implementation goes."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, pricing is always too high of course."

What is our primary use case?

We are an engineering firm, so we're using Microsoft Virtual Server for engineering, drafting, and administration.

How has it helped my organization?

We're a pretty small business, so we don't have a large infrastructure. Just a single VM server with network switches and a firewall. That's our infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Everything is fine as far as our implementation goes.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, pricing is always too high of course.

We just implemented a new server a year and a half ago. But prior to that, we were using the same software for about six-seven years.

We are about 35 users using Microsoft Virtual Server at our company.

We've been running the FortiGate firewall for about a year and a bit now. For the most part, I work with a company not local to us, but they are the ones that look after the backend of our network. They're the ones that look after that firewall, but I've worked with it a little bit. We've got a local ADE firewall.

We just bought the perpetual licensing for the Microsoft Virtual Server.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Microsoft Virtual Server an 8.