IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft OneDrive OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft OneDrive is #5 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms. PeerSpot users give Microsoft OneDrive an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Microsoft OneDrive is most commonly compared to Box: Microsoft OneDrive vs Box. Microsoft OneDrive is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Microsoft OneDrive Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft OneDrive Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Microsoft OneDrive?

Microsoft OneDrive for Business gives you online storage that works seamlessly with the tools you use every day to create, communicate, and collaborate from your PC/Mac or your iOS, Android, or Windows device.

Microsoft OneDrive was previously known as MS OneDrive.

Microsoft OneDrive Customers

Chevron, Accenture, Booz Allen Hamilton, DBS, Nestle, Lowe's, MGM Resorts, Textron, MGM Resorts

Microsoft OneDrive Video

Microsoft OneDrive Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft OneDrive pricing:
  • "It is free if you are using Office 365, and you get a terabyte of storage with your account."
  • "OneDrive comes with Microsoft 365 so it is just an added part of that package."
  • "The price of Microsoft OneDrive is reasonable and compatible with competitors."
  • "This is a pricy solution, given that we are only using it at 50% capacity."
  • Microsoft OneDrive Reviews

Implementation Specialist - Application Solutions at a music company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Collaboration and sharing that is experiencing growing pains as it comes into its own
    • "It is well integrated with other Microsoft products."
    • "It is free if you use Microsoft Office 365."
    • "There are not enough ways to assign permissions to shared folders and files."
    • "The technical support is really very bad."
    • "Performance is an issue when sharing a large number of files in a single folder."
    • "No one gets an alert when files are deleted."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is having it as our primary sharing and collaboration tool.

Our company is in the entertainment industry. We have lots of different departments like finance, legal, animation, sound, editing — all of that. The actual use case really depends on the department and sometimes the user. For example, I am in our tech department. If I want to share some sort of document with my team, I just put it on OneDrive. Then, if I already shared a folder, I just drop it in that folder and everyone with access to that folder gets access to that file.

That is pretty much how everyone is doing their work and sharing their stuff. They create shared folders and they give permissions to different people as to what they can access and then they put stuff in those folders. That covers our basic use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

OneDrive has improved our organization by making things faster. People do not have to use email anymore for file transfers because communications and collaborations are handled via OneDrive. Instead of sending attachments to different people, you share with different people using folders that the groups you work with have access to. You just drop in whatever you want there and people can easily access it. It all gets nicely stored in one place.

What is most valuable?

I would say the most valuable feature is that it is a Microsoft product so it is well integrated with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and all the other products in the Microsoft suite. In OneDrive, when you use Excel, Word, or PowerPoint it automatically manages the versioning. It is kind of how Google Sheets and Google Drive and all of those products work. Multiple people can work on a Word document at the same time because it is completely integrated and it is an online copy of that document that you do not have to physically move back-and-forth.

Autosave is always on for everything. That is a very good feature, I feel. Another thing is OneDrive has a version history as well. If you have multiple changes to a document and Microsoft sees it as different versions then you can actually recover different versions in case something gets replaced unexpectedly. For example, if you did something in version five and then you realize that version four was better, you can actually recover that earlier versions in OneDrive.

The integration between all Microsoft products is a key advantage to OneDrive. I would say that is probably the most valuable feature. Because it is Microsoft and everyone uses Word and Excel almost globally, it works well in sharing those documents. But regardless of if you are a Google user or Apple user, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are still 90% of what the world uses for business tasks. Because everything is integrated with Microsoft, instead of going through Google Sheet and then exporting it to an Excel file, here you just work directly in Excel. It is fewer conversions and fewer problems in that way.

What needs improvement?

Syncing is one area that can be improved. When you click on sync on the online version, what happens is that it creates a drive on your desktop. Basically, it is like you have the online version directly on your desktop. Syncing has been an issue sometimes when there are huge folders. It might not be a huge folder in terms of space, but when there are a large number of files. When there are a lot of files, that is when the issue arises.

For example, say you have a folder that has 200 files. When you sync it to a computer, it takes some time to load. When people start updating stuff in that same folder, it can slow down your computer because it updates you locally as well every time there is a change. That constant syncing can cause performance issues. It works fine if it is a smaller number of folders and files, but whenever there is a large number of files, that has been an issue for sure. They need to really improve on that. That is the biggest weakness of the solution, I would say. Syncing is number one.

Another thing is when you delete stuff. You do not get a notification if you delete something online. So for example, if you are the owner of a folder and I have access to that folder and there is a file there and I delete it, it actually goes to your recycle bin. In other words, it goes to the owner's recycle bin. That is fine, but then the owner never gets a notification. So, if you have 10 files and then you notice that one is missing, you do not even know who deleted it or when it got deleted. It is residing in your recycle bin, and you can see that it is there. But you do not even know that you have to look at your recycle bin because you never got a notification. That is really a potentially huge issue with the solution. If you are a team leader and you do not know if someone is deleting your stuff, you might eventually lose something by accident.

Another thing is permissions. There is no way to set non-delete permissions. You can be a viewer or an editor. If you are an editor, you can delete files. If you are a viewer, you can not delete files. But there is no option to remove the delete privileges from an editor. I think other companies, like Box and Dropbox, have that feature and they allow you to make it so you can edit but you do not have the ability to delete. You want people to be able to edit without deleting probably most of the time.

I think that these are some pretty basic and fundamental things that Microsoft just does not have. But they could do even more with permissions. Just having viewing and editing permission is pretty basic, but even in Box, a person can view and edit, but not download. Or a person can view, edit, and download. The point is that there is more to do than just view and edit. There are many different options and combinations in Box that OneDrive just does not have. It is not so interesting to just have more new features. What is more important is having features that are really necessary and already exist in other competing products. That is something that I think Microsoft should strive for with OneDrive. Microsoft is probably one of the biggest companies in the world. If something like Box or Dropbox has better features than you, then you really need to look at your products and make some revisions.

Microsoft OneDrive
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft OneDrive. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using OneDrive for about six or seven months I would say.

I do not think that OneDrive is very stable. There are a lot of bugs. For example, we were doing a file migration from Box which is what we used to use. We moved to OneDrive because we have the Microsoft license for free with Office 365. But when we did the file migrations something happened. A lot of users had files that they were sharing. There is an option where you can see who shared files with you and there is a shared tab on the online version of OneDrive. For some people, when they clicked on the shared tab, it was blank. We had to call Microsoft to fix it for them. It was a case by case scenario for some reason and it was not a global fix. It is annoying and even now we are still having issues with that as we continue to roll out the OneDrive initiative.

There are plenty of other bugs. For example, sometimes the search does not work properly. They have a search option on the online version, but it is not a good search in general. It does not really search inside folders. When you search for something, it just searches; it does not give you the location of where the file is. You do not know which folder it was in. If you do not know the exact name of a file, it will try to search it for you because it looks up the characters. You will get the file, but that is it. It could be better.

The use of this product will probably grow along with our company. We are a pretty big company already. We have been introducing the use of OneDrive to different locations. We are going at it location by location. Now that everyone is using it, I guess I would say the scalability is good.

When I say everyone in our company, I mean somewhere between 1400 to 1500 people are using the product. The roles could be everything from the receptionist to a tech person, to a legal finance person, to a VP, to the CEO. It is literally everybody in the company.

I would rate technical support as a three-out-of-ten. They are not very good. Whenever we talk to tech support, they never have the solution that they should at the tips of their fingers. This is such a big product for them, simple stuff should be something they can answer quickly. Like if you ask them why the sync is not working, they should have those solutions. We end up solving problems more quickly by ourselves.

If we can solve it for ourselves, why do we have call tech support? They are not responsive. It is very hard to get in touch with them. Maybe that is because we did not opt for the enterprise-level tech support — we just have the basic tech support. We are considering getting enterprise support. Things might improve if we get a dedicated customer service person or a dedicated account manager. I do hope so.

My unfiltered review is that tech support currently only deserves that three-out-of-ten, and that is it.

We did previously use Box in our company. The reason we switched from Box was not that there was any problem with the functionality. It was just a money-driven decision. If everyone has a Microsoft license and they have OneDrive included, then why are we paying extra for a different solution? Box is enough of an expenditure that it is worth removing from the budget. We were paying for every single user license to add on functionality that we already had access to. We could work with what we already had for free. Why should we pay that additional money? It makes no sense to have two storage solutions when we could use the one that Microsoft offers. Box may have had a few more features and was more stable, but it did not really justify the additional cost.

From my personal view, the choice was made from a functionality point-of-view, but it is more like a budget point-of-view for us as a company.

The integration is good, but the setup is not that easy. I had to train a lot of people on how to use OneDrive. It is not like Google Drive which is pretty straightforward. There are a lot of different features in OneDrive which are both good and bad. But one of the problems is that there are actually too many things in some ways. People do not always seem to know how to use it intuitively. Even though we have been using it for six or seven months in our company, there are still people who come to me with questions about how they can do things that are relatively simple. I would say it is 50/50. If you are tech-savvy, I guess it is a little easier. But for new users who have never used something like OneDrive and who are used to the ease-of-use of something like Google Drive, it is just different and there is a learning curve. I would give it a five-out-of-ten for the setup.

What other advice do I have?

If they fixed all the little things, it could be a great product. It pretty much is a great product already. The integrations are still good. Initially I was really amazed. But then I got to know its many bugs and glitches and I have to take a global view of the solution. I was the main point of implementation on this, so I have been involved with the OneDrive implementation from start to finish. I know everything that has been in the product, outside of the product, limitations, trends, how people are looking at OneDrive, how they are they using it — everything.

For other people looking to OneDrive as a solution, I would suggest it if people already use other Microsoft products like Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. If I was making a recommendation for a friend of mine for personal use, the one advantage of OneDrive is they give you one terabyte of space. That is more than any of the other products of this type will give you. That is by default. If you pay for $10 a month — the normal Microsoft personal home license — you get OneDrive included and one terabyte of storage, which is a lot of space. With Google Drive, they do not give you nearly that much. I think Google Drive gives you 50 gigs of space. I do not remember exactly, but it was not that much, storage-wise.

The other thing I would say is for professionals or big companies is that if they are using Excel, Word, PowerPoint, other Microsoft solutions a lot, then OneDrive makes perfect sense. It is integrated so well with typical office productivity tools that they should not even consider any other solution like Google Drive. This is the best-integrated solution for all of them. It makes it very easy to collaborate. Just look past the glitches until they fix all of them. Then it will clearly be the better solution.

So, that is my advice. The negatives are there, yes. Microsoft tech support is terrible — everyone knows that. If you do have issues, then you might have to wait two or three weeks before it gets solved — and there are some nagging issues that have not been solved at all. Microsoft acknowledges a few things as just being a flaw in the product and they say they are going to have to fix it, but they do not seem to be in a rush to take care of anything.

Before I used OneDrive, I have to admit that I was very anti-Microsoft. But right now, I do appreciate what they have been doing. In terms of collaboration, Google has always owned that area of the market. With Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Slides and all, they own the online collaboration arena. But now Microsoft really is improving to such an extent that they could actually compete with Google and maybe they will end up surpassing them. They have an advantage in that Excel and Word and PowerPoint are just more powerful and mature than whatever Google has right now.

If you have some patience and you can stomach through the initial growing pains of the Microsoft bugs, then I would certainly recommend this product. I would actually suggest that this should be the product that everyone should use for sharing and collaboration. It is hard to love OneDrive right now. You will probably like it more than you love it. If you call me in a year's time, I might just have to say that everything in OneDrive is great now.

But right now, on a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate it a six-point-five out of ten. It really is not even a seven yet just because of the overall experience and the missing features.

Private Cloud
    Contact Center Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Keep organized and have access to important files wherever you are
    • "It helps you keep organized."
    • "It gives you access to important files from virtually anywhere."
    • "Support has not been the same since the beginning of COVID lockdowns."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for the product is keeping files off my desktop and then to use it as a backup if my hard drive cracks or something like that.

I am just a one-person consulting firm. I used to have more people working for me, but they are all retired. I am still here and I am the only one left because I was so much younger than everybody else. To Microsoft, I am just a customer and my grandchildren buy their video games.

What is most valuable?

You can set up different drives in OneDrive. This helps you keep organized. For example, you can create this drive as my personal OneDrive, make another drive as my work OneDrive, add another as my [whatever this is] OneDrive. I like that capability.

What needs improvement?

From my own personal experience, I have a story that tells about how and why the product can be improved and it mostly has to do with customer care. This is about a situation that really caused me great aggravation.

I am an independent consultant, so I have OneDrive in my business set up and I pay monthly and it bills monthly. I foolishly let my granddaughter get a robot gaming account under my Microsoft account. Because she is only nine years old and she has autism, she really does not understand what she is doing sometimes. She kept buying points for a game she was playing a lot of and I did not know she was doing it. She would go buy $200 a day in robot points, and then I got on my robots bill and found out what was going on. They would not let me separate the accounts so I could stop the billing. If I canceled the account, I would have to cancel her account, and then she would lose all the things that she had done and accumulated in the game.

So I removed the credit card, let that account die out, and then started a new account. I made a new password and all that stuff to start over. When you get a new account, they give you a 30-day free trial. Because I use it and knew I wanted it I already bought PowerPoint in the project and they built that. When the trial came near to the end, they sent me an email saying "your trial is coming to an end" and I called them just to make sure that the PowerPoint purchase was not considered part of the trial that they were talking about because I didn't want to lose anything when I let it lapse. They assured me that everything was good.

When the trial came to an end. They removed all the files and I had been working on with a client analyzing their IBR (incremental borrowing rate). So I lost all my trees and they totally removed everything I'd spent hours on. I called and tried to find out what was going on. They spent an hour or two on the phone with me trying to go different ways calling different departments to find out where they might still have the data. Turns out they did not. They lost it.

So my caution about the product and trial periods is to be careful. Because I had multiple Microsoft accounts, when the first tech checked and looked it up they thought I had a valid license for the new Microsoft account. They were referring to the old one. There is my lesson learned.

Besides that episode, I like working with Microsoft products. But then another thing happened. I had another customer and they wanted me to set up on their desktop. So I created a Microsoft account for them so I could use their client email and their OneDrive and all that stuff in their name. For the life of me, I could not get that removed off my desktop after I had it installed.

I had to call Microsoft to try and get it working right again. I could not do a regular delete to get rid of the stuff from the other account. It does not let you delete it. So every time I logged in from scratch, it sent up an error saying I had the wrong password for this account. I just do not need that account anymore and there was no way to get rid of it or regain control of the login.

They were terrible for support after COVID hit. I want to write an article on the companies that achieved during COVID and then the companies that used it as an excuse to provide poor customer service. Microsoft would be under that jurisdiction. In the end, I would use it again if it worked and I got my password straight. It works great but with the product, you get the behemoth Microsoft customer support services.

I have not contacted them lately, so I do not know if they got it working right. When COVID hit, they just went off the deep end claiming they could not fill support requests.

Otherwise, I think Microsoft is pretty good. I can not think of anything that I could make OneDrive better. Besides having different outcomes from these experiences with Microsoft products, I have been happy with them.

I have been using OneDrive probably ever since Microsoft came out with it. It must be at least 12 years.

I have not encountered any stability problems.

Before COVID I think that Microsoft technical support was great, but it just seems that after COVID I had several incidents that had pretty poor outcomes. While trying to resolve those issues, I could not get through to them. I was on hold a lot. They would not take a voice call, and you even had to hold on for a chat for a long time. One day I was holding for four hours on a chat.

I have not bothered contacting them again since COVID hit and the support started being unresponsive. I do not know if they have figured out how to handle their support by now or what, but it has not been a good experience recently. Normally, before COVID they were really good. You could chat with them. They were right there for online help, or you could call them. I think they are still not taking calls, but I have not checked.

The setup is not too hard and once it is done you can access it almost anywhere. I like that if I am traveling and I am at another location I still have centralized access to everything. For example, if I am at my daughter's place and she has a desktop and I need to access something really fast, I can just go login on her computer, making sure I remove all traces of logging in.

OneDrive is included with Microsoft 365 and it includes Word. So it is just the basic four programs in the Microsoft suite and then you also get OneDrive. It is just included as a part of the package that you get.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give people considering OneDrive starts with the fact that everybody can use it. If you are a company and you use it in conjunction with teams, it is a great way to share files. It is a good thing to have if I am away from my desktop and in a hotel where I would not want to bring all that data with me. If I am working on a project I can just log on and locate a shared file by going on OneDrive and accessing the latest version of a project.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Microsoft OneDrive as an eight or nine out of ten. I really could not say ten because I do have that little history of issues. I am going to say eight-of-ten because to me to even get a nine it has to be so intuitive anybody could work with it and not experience problems. I think I can only do what I can do because I am an experienced user. If I was the new user in a company I might feel a bit more lost just being thrown into using it.

Microsoft OneDrive
    July 2022
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Analyst at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Does a good job as a central hub for the storage of documents and sharing among team members
    • "It is good as a central hub for the storage of documents and sharing among team members."
    • "Scalability is good just because it is a cloud-based product."
    • "Recent functionality changes have actually made the product more confusing to use."
    • "Technical support is not very impressive and is typical of large company software support."
    • "The initial setup is a bit clunky."

What is our primary use case?

OneDrive is just part of the package that is deployed with Office 365. I have been using it personally. It is not exactly the type of solution we are shooting for in the company I work for anymore, although we used to use it. I have been primarily using it for storage for personal backup. When I first started at the company in 2016, it was actually used as a central hub for the storage of documents and sharing among team members. That need kind of dissipated over time. So, I am just using it personally for backup now.

What is most valuable?

When we were sharing through it, it was a great tool for that purpose. I guess you would consider it similar to the design of Dropbox or really any one of the cloud-based storage services at this point. Within our team environment and our IT Group, it worked out for a while. It was really great to be able to share access to your backup files or notes or whatever you have and then be able to send a document or allow access to specific team members. I thought it was pretty cool. It was the first time we really used something like it so we were all excited.

What needs improvement?

In the most recent builds, I think the way OneDrive works has become very confusing. It is constantly cloning the entire machine. You transfer that content over, but it will not send it to your local machine. You activate the one drive cloud, you sign in and you see all your documents in the cloud, but you have to physically move the content back onto the local machine or it remains stored only on the cloud. Working offline is not always an option in that case. It did not seem like it used to be that way. I have noticed that it changed in the last six months to a year. It did not change for the better.

Possibly the ability — which might exist now and I just have not been able to find a way to do it — is to completely turn off automated features. Once you are signed in to your Microsoft accounts, you can not get out of OneDrive. You can only pause the backup. It does use a lot of resources because it is constantly syncing everything. You can pause the syncing for between 2 to 24 hours, but it would be kind of nice to just be able to log out of it and use it how you want rather than how it seems to dictate.

I would say I started using OneDrive in 2016 when it was considered as part of the Office 365 suite.

I think OneDrive is like any software that is a storage and backup or cloud storage solution. Cloud-based storage depends on what you want to use it for. Scalability is probably okay just because it is a cloud-based product.

Initially, years ago, it was rolled out globally in our company as part of the Microsoft suite of products. So, hundreds of thousands of people were using it all at once. I do not think scalability is an issue when considering the number of users.

The company's technical support could use improvement. I think it is that typical Apple or Microsoft support where they basically send you a link to a help article so that you can read it and figure it out yourself. In a lot of instances that just is not enough to resolve an issue.

OneDrive was the first product of this type that we started using in our company. We switched away from it because our needs changed over time.

The initial setup is a little clunky. I think it could be as simple as a lot of its peer programs where you log in and you see your folder breakdown. That is what it does, but there are several steps. Once you log in through the browser into OneDrive, you also have to initiate it on a local machine and then you have to go into the local machine to kick start the backup or download process in the settings. It just does not seem very intuitive.

The time it takes to deploy in the scenario where you want to just use it as a backup for content is probably 10 to 20-minutes. That is just the time you spend paying attention to know what to do and configure it properly. As a first-time user, you will not know where to go. You are going to be clicking on a lot of things that are not going to point you in the right direction. Once you work with it a few times, you are looking at a 5 to 10-minute process to set up just to kickstart the backup process or download processes.

In the past, we always used some consultants to do initial setup and deployment, and then we became the consultants ourselves more recently. So we used consultants when it was first really getting notoriety and around 2015 or 2016 and it was being used on a mass scale for corporations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone looking to use OneDrive depends on what your intention is in using it. If it is to be used for cloud storage and collaboration, it is about as fair a solution as any other cloud storage like Dropbox. If you are using it strictly for your local machines — as a sole backup — it is not a good idea.

I think it is typical of a Microsoft product. It is meant to be plug-and-play, and I think it used to be. It is not going to be any worse or better than any other product of this type as far as the user's ability to navigate the program. Before you just set it and forgot it was there and it took care of all your stuff. But I think there are some challenges in the recent builds that make it function differently than expected and differently, certainly, than it used to function. I believe the design of it was a lot cleaner back then too when there was less that you could stumble through.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Microsoft OneDrive as an eight, I guess. Eight-out-of-ten.

Non Medicaid Service Coordinator at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to navigate, simple to use, and quite stable
    • "It's pretty easy to learn. Once someone taught me, I was able to navigate it quite easily."
    • "The solution has sub-folders, which are visible to various team members. If you want to ensure the information is private, you would need to have a certain level of seniority in the office."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for both professional work and school work.

What is most valuable?

The organization of the solution is its most valuable aspect.

I'm able to pull it from other computers. I don't have to be in a specific place or on a specific machine in order to access it. I can go into the office and log in, or, I can use it from home. It's easily accessible from multiple places that I use.

It's pretty easy to learn. Once someone taught me, I was able to navigate it quite quickly.

Admins are able to control access to certain files.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure of any features the solution is missing. For me, for what I need, it works. I don't see room for improvement.

The solution has sub-folders, which are visible to various team members. If you want to ensure the information is private, you would need to have a certain level of seniority in the office or administration rights. This would allow you to change its visibility.

I've been dealing with the solution for the last two years now.

The solution is quite stable. If there's ever a problem with accessibility, it's likely because a server went down, not because of the product itself. It doesn't crash or freeze. I don't recall ever dealing with bugs and glitches. I've never lost files or had it stop working in the middle of a project.

There are about 25 of us using the solution. Everyone ends up using it.

As I've become quite comfortable with the solution, I will continue to use it going forward.

I've never dealt with Microsoft tech support directly. We may have a subcontractor, or a go-between, between our data that's loaded into our computers and our work. I've never gone to the platform and talked to Microsoft directly.

I didn't previously use another solution. This product came as part of a package, and I've simply taken care of its capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know if my company has a business relationship with Microsoft of not.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. It's likely the most recent, as it's a cloud-based solution.

It's pretty universal, it's not hard to work with. Once you put something in the OneDrive, it is part of the office environment. We would be able to see each other's subfiles, so to speak. That makes it transparent and easy to share, but it also means you have to be cautious with who you share with.

I'm familiar with it now, and really like working with it. I'll continue to work with it whether that's at home or through school as I've grown to understand the product pretty well.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Sunil Mehta - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director, Customer Success at SAP
    Secure data, helpful support, but more duplication file management needed
    • "The stability of Microsoft OneDrive is very good, it is reliable. There were multiple instances where I had lost my valuable data on hard drives in several other places. However, with Microsoft OneDrive, I've never lost a single file."
    • "Microsoft OneDrive could improve because it doesn't support backing up .PST files, which are Outlook data files, and email archives. This is a substantial setback when it comes to Microsoft OneDrive."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft OneDrive is used for anything and everything I have on my laptop, I backup on it. If I'm shifting to another laptop I can restore the data on that other laptop, the data is very secured.

Sometimes we share files with each other in a very secure manner. We upload the files onto SharePoint or OneDrive, and then send the secured link to the intended recipient.

Overall the solution is used to backup data.

What is most valuable?

The main feature of Microsoft OneDrive is backing up data.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft OneDrive could improve because it doesn't support backing up .PST files, which are Outlook data files, and email archives. This is a substantial setback when it comes to Microsoft OneDrive.

There are times when there are some syncing issues. The resolution of the sync issues could be more user-friendly. When you keep on uploading on Microsoft OneDrive, there are a lot of duplicate files which keep adding. There should be some mechanism to identify the duplicate files, and then clean them up in an automated way. Microsoft OneDrive could check for the duplicate files which are exactly the same and give recommendations in terms of, which one to delete, to allow more free space. A type of cleanup function.

I have been using Microsoft OneDrive for approximately five years.

The stability of Microsoft OneDrive is very good, it is reliable. There were multiple instances where I had lost my valuable data on hard drives in several other places. However, with Microsoft OneDrive, I've never lost a single file.

The scalability of Microsoft OneDrive is not at all a challenge. I used to have 10 GB of storage every year and now, I have increased it to 100 GB because it was done very fast.

We have approximately 40,000 people using this solution in my organization, which is everyone.

I have contacted the support on one occasion.

I would rate the support of Microsoft OneDrive a five out of five.

The initial setup of Microsoft OneDrive is simple.

The price of Microsoft OneDrive is reasonable and compatible with competitors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others using this solution is don't back up your complete laptop, identify the folders you want to back up and back up only those. Otherwise, you will fill up your storage very quickly. It consumes a lot of data during syncs and other things, be judicious with those decisions.

I rate Microsoft OneDrive a seven out of ten.

I took off three-point for my overall scoring because the solution does not backup .PST files which are important for me.

Stavros Tsakmakas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Junior Middle Office Officer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Great access to multiple devices, with stability, at an affordable price
    • "It is simple to use and it allows me to give me the opportunity to access anything I want from any device."
    • "I think it should be more user-friendly with more tutorials on the full scale of the program."

What is our primary use case?

I use it because I have to access my data with different devices. So, it actually helps me no matter where I am or which device I'm using to be able to not lose any of the files that I have. As for my personal use, I have it mostly to transfer my data and some information that I want, so I won't lose it from phone to phone, or in general, from a device that I am using.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use and it allows me to give me the opportunity to access anything I want from any device.

What needs improvement?

I think it should be more user-friendly with more tutorials on the full scale of the program. I think there is still room for improvement and I am pretty sure they will come up with some more features in the program.

I have been using Microsoft OneDrive for the past two years.

I think it is stable and covers pretty much everything.

I think it is scalable and is good for people to use.

It is straightforward, but it still has room for improvement.

There is no licensing fee from my experience. There is a tutorial that guides you. Follow the steps that are provided and you will have no worries.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Microsoft OneDrive an eight out of ten.

Sales Director at TA Power Group Sdn Bhd
    Feature-rich and provides good security for our individual backups
    • "They have support for integration with a lot of tools."
    • "The security is not as flexible as it is with Dropbox, which means that we can't share our OneDrive files."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use OneDrive for storing our SharePoint files. Sometimes, we use it for individual backup and server backup.

What is most valuable?

OneDrive has so many features that I haven't been through them all yet.

The security features are good for the company's privacy.

They have support for integration with a lot of tools. However, I have not fully studied what is available because I have not used it enough.

What needs improvement?

The price is quite high and it should be reduced.

I have been using Microsoft OneDrive for two years.

We haven't experienced problems with bugs or glitches.

Scalability has not been an issue for us. We have about 90 users in our group.

So far, technical support has been okay.

We also have experience with Dropbox.

A technical person from our in-house team set up OneDrive for us.

This is a pricy solution, given that we are only using it at 50% capacity.

What other advice do I have?

So far, OneDrive has been very good for us. It is more than enough for a basic user and I can recommend it.

Microsoft Azure
    Manager, Smart Agriculture and Food Innovation at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
    Document sharing is a valuable feature; user interface could be more intuitive
    • "Ability to share documents."
    • "The user interface could be a little more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

People in our company often use different methods for storage of their documents. So we've had access to OneDrive for collaboration between employees. I'm a manager of the company and we're customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The ability to share documents is a valuable feature of this product.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be a little more intuitive and user friendly. It would also make a difference if they would work on the design a little bit.

We've been using this solution for a couple of years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Our whole company has access to it but I'd say around 25% are using it.

What other advice do I have?

I think a lot of it comes down to the change management aspect of it, rather than the actual solution. Most of the IT solutions are pretty good in their own way. They might not be completely comparable. That is what we're finding, that it's more about getting people to adopt a product.

I'd rate this solution a six out of 10.

Download our free Microsoft OneDrive Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022