We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Kiuwan OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kiuwan is #14 ranked solution in AST tools and #16 ranked solution in application security tools. PeerSpot users give Kiuwan an average rating of 8 out of 10. Kiuwan is most commonly compared to SonarQube: Kiuwan vs SonarQube. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Kiuwan?

Software analytics technology with a breadth of third party integrations that takes into account the wealth of applications your teams are currently using.

We facilitate and encourage work between unlocalized teams. We understand the complexity of working on multi technology environments, constantly striving to increase the number of programming languages and technologies we support.

Download the Application Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Kiuwan Customers

DHL, BNP Paribas, Zurich, AXA, Ernst & Young, KFC, Santander, Latam, Ferrovial

Kiuwan Video

Archived Kiuwan Reviews (more than two years old)

Ernst Marais
Software Architect at Digital Solution Foundry (Pty) Ltd
A usable and friendly interface, and is helping to improve the quality of our development process
  • "The most valuable feature is the time to resolution, where it tells you how long it is going to take to get to a zero-base or a five-star security rating."
  • "I would like to see better integration with Azure DevOps in the next release of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and we are using this solution with one of our clients.

The primary use case for this solution is security and vulnerability testing. We are currently integrating this solution into our software development process.

We have a public cloud deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved the quality of the process, in general. This solution helps us to catch issues early on, and find problems that we never knew we had. This results in things being more secure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the time to resolution, where it tells you how long it is going to take to get to a zero-base or a five-star security rating.

The interface is usable and friendly.

What needs improvement?

The rate of false positives, where it reports issues that are not really issues, can be improved.

Scanning of vulnerabilities on open-source projects is not particularly useful as it is.

We have been using this solution for eight months.

This solution is stable.

We haven't encountered any issues with the scalability of this solution. It is fine.

There are five or six users who are using this solution actively. There are software developers, a solution architect, and a lead developer. The solution is just being incorporated into our process.

We haven't had any issues or need to engage with technical support.

We are also using SonarQube in parallel with this solution. SonarQube is a good product, but I prefer Kiuwan from a functional perspective.

The initial setup of this solution is very simple.

We performed the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this software is that we weren't as secure as we had thought. You think that you have pretty decent security until you get the tool and see where you are short.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Felix Esteban
Head of Development and Consulting at Logalty
Helps us find security vulnerabilities in our code before our customers do
  • "We are using this solution to increase the quality of our software and to test the vulnerabilities in our tools before the customers find them."
  • "I would like to see better integration with the Visual Studio and Eclipse IDEs."

What is our primary use case?

We have just recently adopted this solution to use for our code security. We are still new to using these kinds of tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using this solution to increase the quality of our software and to test the vulnerabilities in our tools before the customers find them. Customers look for problems in code, so it is better to perform tests and prove that our code is free from vulnerabilities beforehand.

This is standard here in Spain, where the customers use the same tools to check for vulnerabilities. If we are using the same tools then it is not possible for the customers to find different problems. If we are using different tools then maybe the results would be different. We want the customer's report to list the same issues.

So far, the tool has shown us four issues, and we are starting to clean the vulnerabilities.

What is most valuable?

This program is very easy to use. I can use this tool, and I am new to these kinds of tools.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with code repositories is something that we will need.

I would like to see better integration with the Visual Studio and Eclipse IDEs.

It would be helpful to have better testing for vulnerabilities in mobile development.

We have been using this solution for about two months.

We have had no issues with stability since we started working with this solution.

Currently, we are using this tool about once a week. However, we want to extend this to using the tool on a daily basis. At the moment we are only using a single test, but we want it to be used by all of the developers on their normal day.

Our solution is in the cloud, so I don't think that we'll have any problem with scalability.

We have approximately twenty developers using this solution

We did have a support case with a customer, but I was on holiday and did not interact with technical support myself. I think that the support was quick and fine.

This is our first solution for code security.

The installation of this solution is easy.

This solution is cheaper than other tools.

We ran a project to evaluate solutions and we finally chose Kiuwan. For the evaluation, we weighed both price and technical aspects of the tool, equally. We found that this is a cheaper tool for the level of quality.

We tried putting the same piece of code into different tools. For example, in Java, the tools have similar results. So for Java, there's a low cost, and the preference is for the content of the coders. For mobile development, we are not too experienced, and it is not the perfect tool because the integration with certain products is very manual. The price, however, justifies adopting this product.

What other advice do I have?

For the moment, this is a solution that I could recommend. It is a cheaper way for us to enter into working on code security.

The biggest lesson that I have learned to make sure that we do not have any big security issues during development. We are confident about the vulnerabilities that are being found in our Java code, but we are not sure about other languages such as Angular. This solution may not be able to detect all of the problems that are in the code.

Find out what your peers are saying about Kiuwan, SonarSource, Veracode and others in Application Security. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Security Manager and Business Continuity Manager at a legal firm
Helpful reporting features and is easy to understand

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for daily software development in our company.

What is most valuable?

I've found the reporting features the most helpful.

What needs improvement?

I do not have a clear idea about what could be better. I feel like the general tool is pretty good. The next release should include more flexibility in the reporting.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The stability of the solution is all right.

The solution offers complete scalability. I'm not looking to increase usage at the moment, however.

We haven't used technical…

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for daily software development in our company.

What is most valuable?

I've found the reporting features the most helpful.

What needs improvement?

The next release should include more flexibility in the reporting.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The stability of the solution is all right.

We haven't used technical support. It's a very new tool for our company.

I would rate the complexity of setup as a medium. It's not the easiest, but it's not the most complex. Deployment takes about six months. We have four staff members for deployment and maintenance.

I am an information security manager and I collaborate with the software development team for implementation.

At this point, we do not see any ROI because at this moment we do not have any business that is completely dependant on this particular tool. I think in the next month we will have that.

We compared Kiuwan with other local solutions in Spain. We found Kiuwan had the best rates and price capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

I advise using Kiuwan because it's very straightforward and totally easy to understand. It's also easy to deploy.

I would rate this solution as 8 out of 10.

Digital Marketing at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees

What is most valuable?

I personally like the way it breaks down security vulnerabilities with LoC at first glance.

How has it helped my organization?

In our digital marketing efforts, our app is in continuous integration and having introduced this tool ensures we are always delivering safe code.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps more languages supported.

Six months.

None.

Customer Service: Haven't had any trouble. Technical Support: So far, we've opened a couple of tickets and we got a prompt reply from…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Perhaps more languages supported.

Six months.

Haven't had any trouble.

So far, we've opened a couple of tickets and we got a prompt reply from their tech support team.

It is very easy to deploy.

We did it ourselves.

Faster development of our app.

Nothing to add.

We looked at Sonar.

Cofounder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees

What is most valuable?

We use Kiuwan to locate the source of application vulnerabilities. Saving time and money by automatically identifying problems is unbelievable.

How has it helped my organization?

We analyze the application code before the testing phase. We correct the most serious problems encountered and the applications are then more stable and safe when passed onto the testing phase.

What needs improvement?

The development-to-delivery phase.

We have been using Kiuwan for six months.

As a cloud solution, it was working from the first day, without any configuration necessary.

What do I think about

What is most valuable?

• We use Kiuwan to locate the source of application vulnerabilities.
  • Saving time and money by automatically identifying problems is unbelievable.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The development-to-delivery phase.

We have been using Kiuwan for six months.

No, I did not.

The customer service is always ready, using the live chat integration.

10 out of 10.

No, it was automatic.

No, it wasn't necessary

I recommend contacting a sales person who will create the best plan payment plan for you, as we did.

it_user702246
Account Manager at a wireless company with 51-200 employees
It is the most effective tool for IT procurement managers and directors
  • "Lifecycle features, because they permit us to show non-technical people the risk and costs hidden into the code due to bad programming practices."
  • "DIfferent languages, such Spanish, Portuguese, and so on."

What is most valuable?

It is the most effective tool for IT procurement managers and directors. Technical debt metrics and action plans oriented to rejected deliveries.

How has it helped my organization?

Kiuwan was used internally at Optimyth. We had no surprises derivated from security, performance, or maintainability issues.

What needs improvement?

DIfferent languages, such Spanish, Portuguese, and so on.

I've used this solution for three years.

An eight out of 10.

In other companies I have worked for, we moved to Kiuwan/Optimyth because of the accuracy and easiness of use and setup.

Also, most of my partners and customers have moved to Kiuwan due to the metrics and programming languages supported.

Not complex. I am a salesperson without tech training and I was able to use it

Nothing special. It's a very fair model.

CAST, Sonar, and Clarify.

What other advice do I have?

If they need a tool to be used across your organization (technicians, managers, and directors), this is the tool.

Have highly qualified staff or consultancy provider (code quality and governance) to define the risk model to be used and measured with Kiuwan, this increases the ROI.

CEO at a tech services company
Adds value to our customers to validate what they receive.

What is most valuable?

We only used these products to do some demos. The feedback was very positive.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization is a product distributor. We don’t use the product internally. But for the customers/leads we presented it to, they see that it can add a lot of value to validate what they receive from their providers.

What needs improvement?

From a maketing perspective, I would suggest demonstrating that using these tools will make money for the customer. The customer should have a clear vision of what they purchsed and what they received. They should push more technical articles on LinkedIn. There is always space to make things better, but for now, it is making a difference.

These products have some dreams, as I heard from some Dev Managers, but I’m sure that with a closer relationship, we can upscale that.

We are only showing the product to leads as demos.

The technical support is very good. We have received valid answers to our questions.

We had some experienced with Rational and Compuware, in addition to the APM tools that we distribute.

The pricing and licensing models are poor. If it has a SaaS, the hybrid solution will be enough.

We did very careful research of solutions on the market and chose this one for our demos.

What other advice do I have?

“A fool with a tool is still a fool”. Chose somebody who can add the right processes, methods, and techniques to actually implement the customers' objectives. We try to build a eco-system to cross-sell our solutions.

There is a mix between maturity and money. That is the barrier to break before showing the customer that he is purchasing something without risks before he goes into production. They should focus on a product that adds value to the corporation.

it_user697062
Process and Software Quality Lead at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Offers integration with SDLC tools and API.

What is most valuable?

Constant evolution Software analytics for a lot of different languages including ABAP Excellent feedback Integration with SDLC tools API

How has it helped my organization?

SAP and no-SAP static source code analysis, including security integrated in the continuous delivery process of our SDLC.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see additional languages supported.

We have been using this solution for one and a half years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

Which

What is most valuable?

• Constant evolution
  • Software analytics for a lot of different languages including ABAP
  • Excellent feedback
  • Integration with SDLC tools
  • API

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see additional languages supported.

We have been using this solution for one and a half years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

We used Sonar and we switches due to costs with ABAP and the iOS modules.

The initial setup could not be simpler. It is a SaaS solution. Integration with Jenkins and the local analyzer is a great solution.

Check with your account manager.

What other advice do I have?

Integrate it with your SDLC.

Gerente at a tech services company
I have found the security and QA in the source code to be most valuable
  • "I have found the security and QA in the source code to be most valuable."
  • "The QA developer and security could be improved."

How has it helped my organization?

The solution gave us a KPI regarding risk and quality in the development process.

What is most valuable?

I have found the security and QA in the source code to be most valuable. I test code to pass PCI DSS requirements. I have improved my QA acceptance process with risk evaluation.

What needs improvement?

The QA developer and security could be improved.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of 10 out of 10.

I did not use a different solution in the past.

The initial setup was easy.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing this one.

What other advice do I have?

Try the solution and you will likely want to implement it into your organization. The solution will measure your development team, give a KPI for the CISO, reduce the time it takes to find and correct coding errors, and more.

Supports continuous integration tools.
Our client requests our expertise to audit their business-critical applications. Before using Kiuwan, we were using other solutions. We switched to Kiuwan for 8 reasons: Ease of use and deployment: No hidden expenses, no complex deployment or complex administration. At last, we were able to help our clients to focus on improving quality without getting delayed by infrastructure issues. Upgrades are done automatically, no migration... Clear licensing model: Kiuwan has different licensing models, all easy to understand. We were able to select the model suitable to our client needs without paying extra money for unwanted features. Technology coverage: Kiuwan covers most of the known technologies including mobile applications. The quality model: We have the complete freedom to customise…

1. Ease of use and deployment: No hidden expenses, no complex deployment or complex administration. At last, we were able to help our clients to focus on improving quality without getting delayed by infrastructure issues. Upgrades are done automatically, no migration...
  2. Clear licensing model: Kiuwan has different licensing models, all easy to understand. We were able to select the model suitable to our client needs without paying extra money for unwanted features.
  3. Technology coverage: Kiuwan covers most of the known technologies including mobile applications.
  4. The quality model: We have the complete freedom to customise the quality model, per application, per technology or per client. On the ground, every application has its own context and should be monitored differently with a different quality model. Having the possibility to customise the quality model, to modify existing rules configuration or to remove some is a must and with Kiuwan, we can do it easily. Developing new rules was never that easy; Kiuwan have the best tools to develop new rules.
  5. Integration: Kiuwan supports continuous integration tools. Beside that, most of the features, like launching an analysis, or creating reports, can be automated.  Once the analysis is industrialised, all we to have to do is focus on providing recommendations to improve quality, nothing else.
  6. Speed of analysis: Do you know any other tools that can analyse 2.5 millions line of code in 3 hours? The tools we used before took 15 hours for a single analysis on the same code. Real time saving.
  7. Support team: We can chat with the support team directly from the interface. This saves us lot of time, when we have a question or facing a critical issue. The support team is always here, reliable and fast. We had most of our questions answered in a couple of hours.
  8. Great features: Follow-up quality evolution, compare analysis versions to detect new or removed defects, define and prioritise action plans, security analysis, governance dashboard. We have all we need to help our clients set up SLAs, detect risks, repair critical issues...

With Kiwuan, we were able to help our clients get a better visibility of their development activities and to mitigate risks. We are using Kiuwan for 4 years now and we are getting good feedback from our clients.

What could be improved:

Kiuwan has two levels of KPIs, compared to ISO 9126-3 that defines 3 levels of KPIs. Adopting the ISO 9126-3 model definitively simplifies quality investigations. But the ISO 9126-3 makes the action plan management (or improvement plan) more tricky. Maybe a way of improving the quality model in Kiuwan would be adding the ISO 9126-3 model on top of the existing model to simplify investigations without complicating the action plan management.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partnership
Managing Director at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Provides technology coverage from COBOL to JS through ABAP.

What is most valuable?

• Easy, intuitive UI loaded with information about the software quality
  • Automated lifecycle management
  • Application portfolio governance support
  • Technology coverage from COBOL to JS through ABAP: ideal for large organizations with legacy core systems trying to leverage new digital capabilities

How has it helped my organization?

• Monitor outsourced development and maintenance to assert each € spent has adequate return in quality and security.
  • Helped outsourcers to increase the capacity to deliver acceptable code.

What needs improvement?

• Identification of OSS usage and multiple versions in use throughout portfolio

I have used it for one year.

We have not encountered any deployment issues whatsoever; pretty straightforward analysis both on-premises or in the cloud.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues; applied it both for small portfolios and millions-of-lines portfolios.

Customer service is excellent; extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the subject matter.

Technical support is excellent; only needed to revert to customer support once, and I got immediate support and resolution on my request.

We previously used several tools. We switched because Kiuwan covers the entire SDLC; provides direct information to act upon, for the developer, architects, QA, CIO and CISO, in a few seconds; automatically, fully integrated in any CI/CD setup.

It is extremely simple to setup, either to run on-site or in the cloud; and plenty of hooks to integrate with any automation engine.

It was implemented by an in-house team with direct support from Kiuwan.

• Loads of bang for the buck.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated other options.

Partner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides the ability to create specific action plans that determine the effort required by our teams to correct defects and ensure better code.

What is most valuable?

By far, the best feature we have found is the possibility of creating specific action plans that automatically determine the effort required by our teams in order to correct defects and ensure better code.

How has it helped my organization?

Code reviews have significantly improved, and it allows our teams to work together in a collaborative cloud environment.

What needs improvement?

More languages and frameworks would enhance this tool.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent. They have a very solid documentation site, as well as in-app support.

Technical support is 9/10.

We previously used SonarQube. We have a portfolio of apps in different programming languages. With Sonar, our costs escalated too much, having to pay for plugins for each language.

Initial setup is very straightforward; plug and play.

We implemented it in-house with the aid of Kiuwan engineers.

We have had an improvement of 20% in our time to market and it significantly improved the quality of our code.

I believe pricing varies according to the size of your apps.

We looked at Fortify and Checkmarx, but the costs were way too high

What other advice do I have?

We also use other features of the product. We scaled from security to the entire lifecycle and governance management of our stack, which has given us a full control over our application portfolio.

Technical Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Integration with Jenkins and JIRA, and the security support, are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Very easy to use Integration with Jenkins and JIRA Security support

How has it helped my organization?

Code reviews are quicker and more reliable.

What needs improvement?

Indicators regarding metrics

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is excellent. Technical Support: Technical support is very good.

Which solution did I

What is most valuable?

• Very easy to use
  • Integration with Jenkins and JIRA
  • Security support

How has it helped my organization?

Code reviews are quicker and more reliable.

What needs improvement?

• Indicators regarding metrics

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is very good.

We previously used a different solution. I switched because of the quotes and security rules.

Initial setup is straightforward, no doubt.

An in-house team implemented it.

Download our free Application Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Kiuwan, SonarSource, Veracode, and more!