Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Juniper Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Ethernet Switches is #7 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Juniper Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Juniper Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Juniper Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. Juniper Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.
Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Juniper Ethernet Switches?

Juniper Ethernet Switches are made up of the EX Series product line. These EX Series Ethernet Switches provide branch, campus and data center networks with access, aggregation and core layer switching solutions. The end result is secure, fast and efficient application and data delivery.

Today's enterprise networks increasingly demand mobile access, optimal availability, virtualization, and unified communications. The Juniper Ethernet Switches EX Series caters for all of these requirements, ensuring business continuity, network flexibility and maximum productivity.

Juniper Ethernet Switches was previously known as Juniper EX Series.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Customers

BlackLotus, Staminus, Community Bank, BAS Group, Cloud Dynamics, Privalia, Fluidata, and Tesla Motors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Video

Juniper Ethernet Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "Their prices are competitive and not bad. It is cheaper than Cisco. We have a yearly license."
  • "We had a leakage in the support process and decided to end the product's life in order to purchase a new product with support. We did not renew product support as a result."
  • "Relatively affordable per switch."
  • "The pricing for the support is very high."
  • "You don't need to license every switch. We only chose to cover support on core/key equipment and keep a cold spare available when needed."
  • Juniper Ethernet Switches Reviews

Network Admin at a government with 11-50 employees
    Excellent scalability and good feature-set, pricing, and support
    • "The thing that sets Juniper apart from most switches is that when you're in the command line and you make a configuration change, you just write the command and then say "commit confirmed minutes". For example, I'm configuring a switch here in my office, which is five miles away, and I say, "commit confirmed 5". If I can't get back to the interface within five minutes to be able to make sure the switch came up, it rolls back to the previous configuration. This way I do not get locked out, or the switch doesn't get messed up because of the incorrect configuration. That's an automatic feature, which is pretty slick. I haven't seen that feature with other vendors that I've worked with. That's probably my most favorite feature."
    • "The initial setup for Juniper switches is complex. Juniper has a new program that solves that problem a little bit, but it is expensive, so I don't use it. It is Juniper Mesh, Juniper Wire, or something like that where you plug in a switch, and it goes out to their cloud, finds a config, and brings it down. So, you can do everything cloud-based, but there is a fee for that. It is expensive, so I've never used it. If we were starting, we would try to do something like that. It is more for a large enterprise for managing hundreds of switches versus what we're doing. They should make its price more cost-effective or include it for new or smaller companies."

What is our primary use case?

We use it across our whole environment. We use it for everything from our core to our edge. It is basically deployed everywhere. A good percentage of our Juniper switches are in a stacked array. For example, we do four 48-port switches for a wiring closet in a building. They're all stacked together, and they call it ActivChassis. Most companies, such as HP, ADTRAN, also do the same kind of thing. So, we do a virtual chassis formation in our wiring closet. For smaller buildings that only need one switch, we do a single switch at the distant end.

We have a lot from the 2300 Series. We have one 3300 and quite a few from the 3400 Series. We also have one 4550, and we have also been buying the 4350 series ones.

What is most valuable?

The thing that sets Juniper apart from most switches is that when you're in the command line and you make a configuration change, you just write the command and then say "commit confirmed minutes". For example, I'm configuring a switch here in my office, which is five miles away, and I say, "commit confirmed 5". If I can't get back to the interface within five minutes to be able to make sure the switch came up, it rolls back to the previous configuration. This way I do not get locked out, or the switch doesn't get messed up because of the incorrect configuration. That's an automatic feature, which is pretty slick. I haven't seen that feature with other vendors that I've worked with. That's probably my most favorite feature.

A nice thing about Juniper is that they also have a GUI interface, and it is a little bit better than most other vendors. Their GUI interface does more than a lot of other vendors.

Another nice thing about Juniper is that their training is available for free on their website. I wanted to get certified with Juniper, and I did it for free. On the entry-level exam, they pay for 75% of the exam if you take it through their website.

What needs improvement?

The negative of Juniper is that their command-line coding is a lot different than any other vendor, so there is a fairly steep learning curve to it.

The initial setup for Juniper switches is complex. Juniper has a new program that solves that problem a little bit, but it is expensive, so I don't use it. It is Juniper Mesh, Juniper Wire, or something like that where you plug in a switch, and it goes out to their cloud, finds a config, and brings it down. So, you can do everything cloud-based, but there is a fee for that. It is expensive, so I've never used it. If we were starting, we would try to do something like that. It is more for a large enterprise for managing hundreds of switches versus what we're doing. They should make its price more cost-effective or include it for new or smaller companies.

One advantage that Cisco has is that there are a billion people who use it, so there are a lot more publications or books, whereas, with Juniper, you really can't find a current book. Everything that you have is from their website. They have a lot of documentation on their website, which is good, but if you're a person like me who likes having a hardback book, you're not going to find one that's current. If I wanted to be at home and learn something and read about it, I won't be able to do that. It is going to be a PDF, so you either have got to print it out, or you have to read it online. Sometimes, being older and having bad eyes, that's not good.

We probably started using it four years ago.

Juniper Ethernet Switches
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Its stability is good.

Its scalability is excellent. It is being used extensively. We're going to finish off other vendors this year. It is going to be all Juniper.

Their technical support is good. Our experience with them has been good.

We have been supporting three different vendors: HP, ADTRAN, and Juniper. Our environment was getting old. So, we just started replacing things that were ten or eight years old. This year, we're replacing everything so that we're just one shop, and we don't have to support three different vendors. It is tough to support three different OS, so that's why we are finishing others off.

Juniper's GUI interface is a little bit better than most other vendors, but Juniper's command line is tougher than HP. HP has the easiest interface. On an HP switch, you can just write a command, and it automatically knows where to go. Juniper has a very hierarchal kind of structure, and you have to be within that framework of what you're trying to do to make that change. That's why it is a little bit harder. Juniper commands are also a little bit longer, but it is easy to fill out commands by using a question mark or a tab. It'll then auto-fill if you're typing it correctly, which is nice.

Juniper is better in terms of if you make a mistake. When you make a command mistake on HP, you don't necessarily get to know. On Juniper, if you're using a command and you get it all set up, and then you hit commit, it won't commit if there is a syntax error or some other issue. It will tell you that there is an error and you got to fix it. It also tells you what it is, but knowing the commands is the hard part.

It was complex. The first few that we got were tough, and sometimes, they still can be tough. It has definitely a steep learning curve. If you are an organization that has never used it before, it is going to be tough.

If you know what you're doing, you can get a switch done in a couple of hours. If you're new, it is going to take you days to weeks, depending upon how much you want to get it to work. So, it is kind of complex.

I use SecureCRT to configure all my switches, which replaces Putty and is made by VanDyke software. It is not that expensive and costs around $90. Using SecureCRT has made things easier for me, and it has really helped me with Juniper. If you're familiar with Putty, it works really well. It gives you options to store all of your commands. So, when I'm building a new switch, I have all the commands that I normally use, such as the commands to set up the IP address or a route. I don't have to memorize the commands. I can just double-click the set route command and then just change a variable.

For the first two switches, we used the reseller from whom we bought the switches. Someone from their company came in and installed the first two switches. After that, we looked at his configs and figured out how to do it, and since then, we did it on our own. Our experience with the reseller was good.

Maintenance is handled by two of us in my department, but we do so many other things. We are Network Admins.

Their prices are competitive and not bad. It is cheaper than Cisco.

We have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

It has more features than I'm currently using. Their support is fine, and their prices are also competitive. It is cheaper than Cisco, so I would definitely recommend it over Cisco because of the price.

Juniper provides training for free on their website. You can do all their courses for free through their website. I would highly recommend doing these courses. They are free, which is awesome. You're not going to get free Cisco courses.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10. The only reason for not giving it a 10 is its high learning curve. In terms of capabilities and feature set, it is right up there.

MuhammadBilal2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager Networks at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Easy to use with a strong CLI but needs some advanced technology in the stack
    • "It's pretty good as compared to other vendors."
    • "We are not very pleased with their performance."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the core environment and not in the access environment.

What is most valuable?

It's got a very strong CLI and many good features, like ACLs and all those kinds of things. We can manage with CLI and we have pretty good experience with our security.

It's pretty good as compared to other vendors.

The solution is simple to implement.

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The product is so-so. We are not very pleased with their performance. We are having some issues in managing their stack. We would like to have some advanced technology in stacking. They need to improve their stacking technologies.

We contacted the principal as well, to open a case. We couldn't find the solution. That's why we are looking for replacing these switches with some other brand.

We've been using the solution for more than five years.

We've had some performance issues and found the solution not so stable.

It's very reliable. It's very stable. However, sometimes we are having issues, like memory leakage.

We have three people, including me, that work on the solution. We're administrators.

It's scalable. However, we had some issues with stacking. That stacking cable is not properly connected with the chassis. We already informed them as well. They said plug in one cable and then your stacking will be completed. There is a bug in the stacking module, so I don't know when they will fix it. That's why we are thinking of replacing it.

Technical support has been very good. We are fine with them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We are using different brands, including Fortinet, Cisco, and Juniper. I also have experience with HP and Aruba.

We are currently using Juniper switch EX4600, EX4300 and Fortinet switch 240 and 148, and some Fortinet 80 and FortiGate firewalls.

The initial setup is very simple and very straightforward. Compared to other switches, it is not that difficult.

For Juniper switches, we have only three hours of downtime. In a three-hour downtime, we successfully managed to handle everything. Even managing VLANs, and tagging the VLANs and LAGs. All the things were done in three hours and we had everything configured properly.

It's moderate, not very easy, not very difficult. The terminology is sometimes different. You are following their proprietary standards, EtherChannels, and you can say security channels as well. These are not related to other switching technologies. They have some other proprietary things you need to know about in order to implement it easily.

I'd rate the overall process a three or four out of five in terms of ease of deployment.

We don't have to deal with maintenance. That's done on the vendor side when we have any issue, for example, the code is not working, the SFP is not working or we have issues from their upgrades. If a permission is required, we'd take action accordingly. We need to have a recommendation from the principal if we are going to upgrade the software. When that happens we require some support from the vendor side.

In our environment, we do not need support from any vendor, any principal. If we are stuck somewhere, then we will definitely contact or open a case with the principal. All the things will be managed by our engineers and ourselves.

I can't speak to the exact pricing. It's based on the dollar and prices are fluctuating all of the time. My understanding is that it is moderately priced for the market.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's pretty good. It's stable as well, however, with some functionalities and some terminologies, the standard is the same yet the terminology is different. For the EtherChannels, they have some different names. For the tunnel, they have some different names. If people are working with a Cisco-type environment, when they are switching from Cisco to Juniper, they feel pretty the command-line interface is pretty different.

We are doing a POC with different vendors to replace this solution. We are looking at Cisco, maybe HP, and maybe another brand.

We are looking for a chassis-based modular switch that can handle ten gigs, one gig, and both the copper and SSP modules. There will be six to ten modules in it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution. It's around version 20.

We're looking to replace this solution due to performance issues and we are in coordination with other principals, like H3C and other switching manufacturers. We'll soon see what they can offer us.

Juniper Ethernet Switches
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Emmanuel Bakare - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Design / Operations Engineer at Zoracom
    Great granular software feature with easy configuration
    • "It is very valuable for SRX devices and we have found it very easy to configure."
    • "More security could be provided, especially with the rising cyber-attacks in business organizations."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is deploying and maintaining network environments. For example, one of our major clients is the leading telecommunication provider in Africa and uses a lot of Juniper devices as part of a core network. We deploy this solution on-premises.

What is most valuable?

We have found the granular software feature which defines networking capabilities as the most valuable. It is very valuable for SRX devices and we have found it very easy to configure, set up, and install. I would recommend having it on a cellphone.

What needs improvement?

The hardware could be improved, specifically adding more machine and safety features with the routers and switches. Additionally, more security could be provided, especially with the rising cyber-attacks in business organizations. For example, the incident that occurred with Cisco years ago. Therefore, I believe security is also an essential thing for many organizations.

We have been using this solution for approximately four years.

The solution is stable. It gives me fewer issues than similar products, so I consider it very stable.

The solution is stable. Since we are dealing with a telecommunication company, there is a lot of volatility regarding the amount of traffic that has to pass through these switches and devices. It has the ability to withstand heavy traffic and adjust the slide depending on the quantity of traffic passing the track at any point in time. So I would rate it as very scalable and classify it as an eight out of ten compared to other products we use in our department.

It is easy to contact support whenever we need them for maintenance or updates, and I think we have level three support and can get across to them as quickly as possible on our end. The onsite support staff in our location is available every day of the week. If they cannot resolve our issues, they escalate it to the level three support team in the US.

We loved Cisco but it is expensive and Juniper Ethernet Switches is perfect. It is the perfect placement between price and technology too. For me they always run number one, the switches are very good.

It took approximately two to three weeks to deploy this solution. However it could be quicker or slower depending on the manpower available.

We have a great team for deployment and maintenance.

The licensing costs occur yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. They are my number one recommendation for anybody, but the security features could be improved. Startup companies may not have the funding for a new purchase of devices and needed support. However, if your company needs it and can afford it, I would recommend it.

Pawel Jenner - PeerSpot reviewer
    DevOps and System Engineer at Netyard
    A decent switch that is reliable and capable of expanding
    • "It is stable."
    • "All Juniper documentation is terrible."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for my customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well overall.

It's a switch. Everything which I'm expecting from the switch is on the Juniper EX series.

It is stable.

You can scale the product.

What needs improvement?

All Juniper products that you use in internet service provider equipment. They start from flash, et cetera. If you don't stop them properly, you have some problems with flash memory.

The setup, if you don't have your own configuration, can be a bit difficult.

All Juniper documentation is terrible. If you are familiar with Cisco documentation, you have everything you need and you have a good overall picture. In Juniper, you have a lot of text and you have to figure out what they are saying as opposed to just seeing a picture and understanding what's happening. Cisco documentation is much better than Juniper.

I've been using the solution for seven years or somewhere thereabouts.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

It is scalable. You can scale with more equipment, more cards, more interfaces, et cetera. In the case of switches, you've got upwards of six so you can scale the solution for your needs.

I tend to work with medium-sized organizations.

The solution's support is typical. It's not quite different from others. I fid it similar to other vendors. For example, I see no difference between Cisco and Juniper.

I'm also familiar with Cisco. I prefer Juniper's switches to Cisco. The price is good.

I have to stop the initial configuration, then I have to remove all defaults and start from scratch. In my opinion, it's easier to start with my own configuration rather than going through the initial set up.

The solution is reasonably priced if you compare it to Cisco.

The exact price depends on the model, the software you are going to implement, and the features you want. In the case of Juniper, you can use its recommended vendors, SFPs, et cetera.

What other advice do I have?

At one point, I was a Juniper partner. I just use the solution right now.

I'd advise potential new users to start with Junos. That's the name of the operating system for Juniper stuff. If you are familiar with this, you can do everything. However, if you are not familiar, it could be very, very difficult for you to start with Juniper.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Fraud Risk Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Responsive technical support, easy to use interface and feature-rich
    • "In terms of performance, Juniper switches have a more user-friendly interface and more features than Cisco products."
    • "The only issue that we have with Juniper Ethernet Switches is the firmware because it is not stable."

What is most valuable?

In terms of performance, Juniper switches have a more user-friendly interface and more features than Cisco products. However, in terms of commands, Cisco is simple to use, and the command line is easier to use.

What needs improvement?

The only issue that we have with Juniper Ethernet Switches is the firmware because it is not stable.

When the power goes out, it's possible that it has become corrupted, and we couldn't continue because the switches stopped working. As a result, Juniper products were affected. Also, the power circuits may become corrupted after five years. It is, however, stable in Cisco switches.

We think it's popular. We prefer to use Cisco CLI commands rather than Juniper CLI commands.

I have been working with Juniper Ethernet Switches for ten years.

The product's stability after five or six years is less than that of Cisco.

We have approximately 200 users in our company.

I don't choose products by name, but we develop the technical specifications, and any vendor who can meet the technical specifications will be accepted. The tender, financial, and commercial processes will begin, and we will come to an agreement on the list price.

Our developers are in another department.

Technical support is very good.

Several times during the warranty period, we requested support. The response was very fast, they came to support us the next day. However, we did not extend the warranty after the warranty period had expired.

We are also working with Cisco Switches. Cisco Switches are more stable in terms of hardware and firmware. rather than Juniper Switches.

We only use these switches, the EX200 and the 20. We didn't use any other products with Juniper.

Juniper's initial setup was completed in collaboration with a partner. This happened about ten years ago.

It is sufficient for one technical person to install the switches and another to configure them.

The partner completed the deployment in one day for about 13 switches, making it very simple.

After the configuration, the partner brought his technicians to mount the switches.

What other advice do I have?

Juniper products are very stable. I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

Network Engineer at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
    Affordable product with lifetime warranty and good support
    • "The most valuable feature is that Juniper is multiple kernels, so there's isolation, which means you won't get a process that runs away, creating problems across the whole platform."
    • "Has a steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of this solution is for core switching and routing.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We had been introduced to MIST as a result or procuring 9 EX4600 switches and the associated MIST licenses.  Unfortunately we found out that MIST does not support legacy switches, namely EX2200 which we have 100 Plus, so this requires us to invest time and resources in order to learn the opensource alternatives for automation, or plan for an upgrade of the EX2200 which requires a significant investment.

Personally learning the open source alternatives is an extremely valuable skill to add to the toolbox, as well as move the District forward with automation.

I've been using this solution for two to three years.

Juniper's stability is solid - it suffers from some bugs, like any product, but other than that, it's stable.

There are no issues with the scalability - we went with this product because it supported ten gigs and the switches are stackable. You scale the platform to meet your needs, and it scales to meet our needs.

Technical support has resolved any problems I've had in a relatively quick amount of time.

I've have experience with Cisco, Brocade, Dell, and Foundry Networks, with inheriting an inventory of 150+ Juniper switches and investing time in learning juniper, a more to another vendor is not an option we are considering.

The initial setup isn't very straightforward at first - it took me a day or two to deploy my first Juniper switches. It gets easier with practice, but it's a steep learning curve for anyone who hasn't touched Juniper.

Implementation was in-house.

Juniper's switches have a lifetime warranty, so you don't have to pay for replacements for defective items (though you can't buy spare replacements). It's relatively affordable per switch and pretty similar to other vendors' costs for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I started using Juniper two and a half years ago with zero experience, and it was a steep learning curve, but I've become a fan of this product. I would advise others to consider vendors other than Cisco, including Juniper. I'd give this solution a score of nine out of ten.

System Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliable, high capacity switches but the pricing for support needs improvement
    • "The virtual Chassis feature for stacking is good in general, with high bandwidth for the link, which is good."
    • "The management platforms for the network need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We offer many solutions to customers and the Juniper Ethernet Switches are part of our offering.

What is most valuable?

For switching, it's stable compared to others.

The switching capacity is very high, and the virtual Chassis feature for stacking is good in general, with high bandwidth for the link, which is also good.

Recently, they are offering cloud-ready switches for the same series. When you have decided to go for the cloud, there are switches that are ready for that.

What needs improvement?

The management platforms for the network need improvement.

The pricing for support needs to be reduced, and the lead time for the switches should be lower.

They may already be working on this but I would like to see improvements with visibility, analysis of the traffic, and similar features. When you compare with other manufacturers, they have to work in these areas more.

I have been using these switches since 2014, it's been for six years.

We offer the latest technology but sometimes from three to five years, and we are offering refreshment, and whatever has been announced by the industry.

These switches are stable.

It is easy to scale. They have a stacking feature so you can scale up, for certain series, up to 12 switches per rack. Also, in terms of distribution or core switches, they have modular devices so they can add cards and modules to scale up.

I have not contacted technical support directly. We have a different team who handle the technical requirements.

Because we are solution providers, we use many different versions.

The initial setup is somewhat straightforward.

The time it takes for deployment depends on the site by the situation, the customer requirements, and the size of the network. Normally, it doesn't take very long.

When you compare with others, it's almost the same thing.

The pricing for the support is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches, but what I would also highly recommend along with this new trend or new experience is to at least get training for Juniper configuration, at least the basics.

Training will help you be more familiar with it. You will at least have the basics in case of maintenance or troubleshooting.

Juniper has good documentation for its ethernet switches.

I would rate Juniper switches a seven out of ten.

D6B8 - PeerSpot reviewer
    District Technology at INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 196
    User
    Junos is extremely flexible and easy to pick up
    • "Junos OS is extremely flexible and easy to pick up."
    • "The management tools are limited in their abilities, and suffer from upgrade problems."
    • "The updates are constantly breaking."

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Juniper for all of our switching/routing infrastructure. Core, aggregate, and access layers are all made up of Juniper components. We also procured and use Junos Space as well as Network Director.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved to Juniper from an outdated Cisco environment, so the immediate change was extremely dramatic (as it should be with any new vendor). In regards to Junos Space Network Director, we are able to have more visibility into the whole infrastructure than we were able to previously.

What is most valuable?

We have found Junos to be the most valuable feature. It is extremely flexible and easy to pick up. The layout (similar to .XML) does take some time to get used to, but there are commands you can use to help alleviate these concerns.

What needs improvement?

Updates and management tools:

• The updates are constantly broken, which has been a problem for years. You definitely need to read the release notes to understand the whole situation before upgrading.
    • The management tools are nice, but they are limited in their abilities. The tools suffer from upgrade problems.

Six years.

When upgrading to a new Junos version, we had to revert back once. We found out the chassis was having major problems. This was noted in the community forum. Stability for long term releases are pretty good seem to be stable, but keep in mind that upgrading to newer code might mean bugs.

There are no problems with scalability. The ability to add switches to a virtual-chassis means adding/removing is an easy task.

Support is hit and miss. Currently, we have had issues with support. Juniper called me back about a bad review. It was nice speaking to somebody on the phone. I felt that they were taking my concerns seriously.

We previously used Cisco and Extreme Networks. We switched due to our planned refresh cycle, as well as cost.

We had a vendor do the initial setup and configuration.

We don't track ROI.

We had an open bid process. We evaluated Cisco, Extreme Networks, Brocade, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

It works with third-party SFPs.

Download our free Juniper Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022