Infor M3 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Infor M3 is the #8 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software and #12 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give Infor M3 an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Infor M3 is most commonly compared to SAP ERP: Infor M3 vs SAP ERP. Infor M3 is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Infor M3?

Infor M3 offers ultimate flexibility in operations, technology, and scale. As a multi-site, multi-country, and multi-company solution, M3 empowers your organization to adapt to changing business needs. It provides flexibility in managing mixed-mode and complex environments, with the agility to make quick adjustments at any time. Written in Java, M3 also gives you platform independence and choice.

Infor M3 was previously known as Infor Lawson M3, Lawson M3.

Infor M3 Customers

Grosfillex, High Five Sportswear, L_derach, OTK Group, PHS Group, Propper International, Red Wing Shoe Company, Reynolds Catering Supplies, Saudi Diesel, Sheetz, Zeppelin, Zodiac Aerospace

Infor M3 Video

Infor M3 Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Infor M3 pricing:
  • "The cost is between $50 and $100 per user annually."
  • "I'm not part of the team that manages Infor M3 pricing, but it depends on the client, integration, ship-out, and training levels. You get the price from the solution provider, but it would be best to discuss it because nothing is set in stone regarding pricing."
  • "There is a yearly licensing cost. The price is based on the modules you need. There are several modules, such as HR module, accounting module, sales module, scheduling module, etc., and the price will vary depending on the number of modules you choose. The customers always say that it's very expensive. It can cost a lot of money if your organization is huge. It's not implemented in a lot of organizations in my country because it's too expensive."
  • "Infor M3 is a tier-two product and is cheaper than tier-one products such as SAP and Oracle. However, it is more expensive than some other tier-two products. The licensing cost is dependent on the number of users. Also, if you purchase other tools from Infor as a package, then there may be other discounts offered."
  • Infor M3 Reviews

Pravinkumar Bhandare - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Consultant - Infor M3 at Merino Consulting Services
    The solution is a reliable, stable, and cost-saving ERP
    • "Infor M3 has tailor-made packages for each and every industry."
    • "We can't make modifications to fit the client's requirements."

What is our primary use case?

Infor M3 is used in major European countries, including India. This is the Infor M3 that has specialized ERP packages for every industry, such as equipment, food and beverages, textiles, and chemicals. Separate packages have been created for these industries and they cover almost 85 percent of the standard processes within ERP. The processes that are specific to these industries have been defined and classified into core and common processes. The modification required in the ERP is hardly ten to 15 percent of the processes. This means that Infor M3 has tailor-made packages for each and every industry.

What is most valuable?

The value of an ERP is the same as that of tailor-made packages. Out of the 15 percent of processes that can be customized, seven to ten percent of them can be worked from workaround processes. However, the straight-way process as per the requirement of the client is not available, but a certain way is available. With this solution, we can achieve the target and only five to ten percent of the process needs modification.

What needs improvement?

Different countries have different finance practices, but I believe they need to fine-tune their practices to match industry standards. Practices vary from country to country, for example, in India, it is different than in the US. Sometimes, clients require alternate processes that are not standard, but they claim that these are the standard practices in their industry. At those times, we feel that the option required is not available with the solution. This is not the case only for Infor M3. Other ERPs also have the same problem. We can't mold the ERP to fit the customer's requirements. There are some standards in place because many screens and programs are integrated into the finance process. We can't make modifications to fit the client's requirements.

The customer needs specific screens for different users, so if that program is in place, we have one planning tool in Infor M3. Planners need to know all things related to manufacturing, purchase, and sales in order to make decisions about planning. In one of my clients, I came across the requirement that they were asking for user authority in the planning tool. This is not the case though, because all planners need to know all things. However, on the manufacturing side, we can say that the person who is working with machine operations only needs to know machine-related information and doesn't need knowledge of products or sales. That standard industry is available, so we can give access to the user as per their needs. If the maintenance people are there, we can give them limited access, but if the planner is there, we need to give them all access according to industry standards. However, this requirement from the client side is not possible with the standard Infor software, but Infor can consider implementing it if the need is larger for many customers.

I have been using the solution for almost seven years.

ERP
    January 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Infor, SAP, Microsoft and others in ERP. Updated: January 2023.
    670,523 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Infor M3 is a stable product as per the purchase version of the Infor M3. Previously we were facing some gaps in the sales team and actual functional implementation team, but now it is not that much. The stability is improving. The sales team is also having knowledge of the actual product. This is the gap in every marketing and product implementation company, the sales team is giving a promise for everything and the functional team is not able to keep that promise.

I give the scalability of the solution an eight out of ten.

When support is required, from Infor, it is not available at a large scale. Infor provides one portal for support. We can open the incident or we can ask directly on the portal. There is no training information available, so there are limited consultants in the market. This is an online process, so we need to mention each step to the customer. They need to understand what a customer is, what the product build is, and what phase the order is in. If there are critical or standard requirements, or if there are any issues or wrong practices, we need to explain all of this to their technical support. However, this process can be time-consuming, and sometimes the customer's purchase limit related to the product build can prevent us from giving them the development patch they need, and that leaves us helpless.

Neutral

We have noticed that people are using SAP and other products that are locally made. They have been using these products for 20 years, and they are just updating or canceling their use of these products and moving to Infor M3. The solution is a stable product, and it is industry specific. This means that Infor M3 has plug-and-play device-like features, so we can implement the standard Infor M3 program and have at least 80 to 85 percent of our processes covered.

The initial setup is straightforward. The solution is industry specific. The textile and garment industry has specific needs that can be fulfilled with the help of specific software packages. For example, the textile package can be used to define the style of a garment according to specific requirements. Infor M3 offers this package and makes it easy to configure. For the food and beverage industry, there is also a level system available that we can define easily.

Regarding the implementation time, Infor M3 has developed one Infor Accelerator program that can be achieved within a six-month timeframe if all the standard processes are in place. The Infor Accelerator provides a time advantage by reducing the time it takes to implement the software. The client can also see what processes are taking place and what the consultant is doing through the Infor Accelerator portal. This allows the client to be more informed about the implementation process.

The company can have both functional and technical consultants for the implementation program. The team of consultants for implementation should have four to five functional consultants and one or two technical consultants. The required technical and personal support is available within the team.

The price is based on how many users we are going to implement with the solution. We need to purchase the license per user on a renewal basis. The cost is between $50 and $100 per user annually.

Compared to the other ERP products available in the market, Infor M3's ERP cost is on average. However, if we compare the advantages and the requirements of clients, the cost is not as high. The working cost is not as much.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution a nine out of ten. The Infor ERP is implemented in many industries and has received positive feedback from all of them. It is a known, reliable, stable, and cost-saving ERP.

We first should know what our pain area is. Why do we think we need an ERP, what are our specific requirements, what business lines do we operate in, and is our business in sales, manufacturing, or distribution? Based on our needs, we can select or customize a package for Infor M3 that addresses our pain area. We can see a demo of how Infor M3 can address that pain area. I recommend Infor M3 because it doesn't come in a part. Other ERP products come in a part, so we can buy or implement only the manufacturing module or finance module. Infor M3 comes as a full product. The solution's functionality and advantages for the end user are good compared to other ERPs.

Independent Consultant with self employed
    Scalable, has a good UI, and lets you do many customizations; technical support was knowledgeable and quick to respond
    • "The most valuable feature of Infor M3 is the level of detail it has about the different manufacturing processes compared to other ERP solutions. Other ERP solutions provide the same level of integration as Infor M3, but Infor M3 specializes in several functions, such as planning and manufacturing."
    • "An area for improvement in Infor M3 is training. There should be more training resources available for clients. Clients also find it challenging to get consultants or integrators for Infor M3. The product doesn't have enough resources in the market to help clients."

What is our primary use case?

I do consulting, so I help companies integrate or run Infor M3. I do functional and technical specifications, development, and implementation, so I do much IT work on the software.

I provide Infor M3 to clients, so I'm not an end-user.

The use case for Infor M3 is integration, particularly for processes and data into a single application, for a multinational company that operates in several countries, primarily if that company specializes in manufacturing.

A manufacturing company uses Infor M3 to manage all processes, from planning to manufacturing,  scheduling to time reporting, invoicing to purchasing, etc.

The company inputs the data in Infor M3, with data being made available in the central database for management. It's an ERP solution for big, multinational companies with manufacturing units.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Infor M3 is the level of detail it has about the different manufacturing processes compared to other ERP solutions. Other ERP solutions provide the same level of integration as Infor M3, but Infor M3 specializes in several functions, such as planning and manufacturing.

Sometimes, big ERPs tend to be too broad in scope, which means not getting all the details right, while Infor M3 is broad in scope and operations, yet it can be specific in processes because it has different software for different verticals.

For example, if you have a food and beverage vertical that falls under manufacturing but is more into distribution, that can work well with Infor M3. My company has a manufacturing vertical, and people in this vertical can find a good level of detail in Infor M3, so it's a good solution.

The UI for Infor M3 is good. It's a newer cloud-based technology, so customization-wise, it's up to date. I received no complaints from clients in that area. The customization level in the solution is also pretty good, allowing you to do a lot of customizations.

Integration in Infor M3 is good. Collaboration between employees using it is good.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in Infor M3 is training. There should be more training resources available for clients.

Clients also find it challenging to get consultants or integrators for Infor M3. The product doesn't have enough resources in the market to help clients, but Infor M3 is good.

I have six years of experience with Infor M3, and I'm still working on it.

Infor M3 has good stability. Infor puts a lot of effort into the quality of the product, so you rarely find a bug in Infor M3. It's a good quality, stable product.

Infor M3 is a scalable solution. It's made for scalability in terms of resources and configuration. It's made to be run worldwide by several entities in your company, and it's a mutual language.

Infor M3 can also accommodate local regulations regarding financial processes and reporting, and it considers different requirements in various regions of the world.

I've contacted Infor M3 technical support, and the team was pretty good and quick to respond. The technical support team was knowledgeable so that it could respond in a timely fashion. It didn't take long to receive a response from the Infor M3 team.

Two years ago, I used SAP, the market leader. At the time, SAP was a different product, but I thought Infor M3 was the better product, so I went with Infor M3 instead of SAP.

The main difference is that SAP was broader in scope, but the level of detail it had wasn't good enough for some industries. SAP is more extensive in scope but has no specialization, while Infor M3 has a smaller scope yet great specialization with the micro-vertical product.

The UI of SAP wasn't as good as Infor M3. Infor M3 has a good UI as it's modern, efficient, and pleasant to work with. Infor M3 also has better technology when it comes to presentations. Clients also preferred Infor M3 because of the friendly UI and up-to-date technology.

To me, Infor M3 is much better than SAP. However, SAP is more renowned because it had a good head start in the industry. Many people encourage using SAP, so when people transition into management positions, they have familiarity with SAP and know how to use it. It was easier to sell SAP than Infor M3 in the past because SAP has more presence.

Deploying Infor M3 starts with a demo to the client, who can agree on what's been presented or ask for modifications. The consulting team then works on the client's request and then comes to an agreement with the client on the final solution. The consulting team designs the project around the final solution and will take some steps, such as trying to build the base of the solution with the basic features, configuration, and data. Once that's done, the team takes that to the client, who then tests it and agrees on modifications.

The second phase entails more advanced configurations, integration, and data, which is how my company deploys Infor M3 for clients. Deployment is step-by-step and always includes going back to the client to ensure that my company doesn't make any mistakes and that everything meets client requirements and specifications.

On average, completing the deployment for Infor M3 takes nine months to two and a half years. That period covers project conception to the final delivery and going live.

Evaluating Infor M3 for ROI takes a long time, and I have yet to discuss that with my customers. In my experience, my current customers use the solution happily, but I have yet to calculate ROI.

I'm not part of the team that manages Infor M3 pricing, but it depends on the client, integration, ship-out, and training levels. You get the price from the solution provider, but it would be best to discuss it because nothing is set in stone regarding pricing.

What other advice do I have?

My clients use the SaaS version of Infor M3.

How many people you need for deploying Infor M3 depends on the company. For example, if the company is huge, that requires a big team of consultants, including project managers, to cover everything. For a smaller company that won't be using the full scope of Infor M3, maybe it just needs a basic configuration, then a smaller team of consultants would do.

From the IT side, you'd need at least a solution architect and a solution delivery manager, apart from two functional consultants, ideally one consultant per functional area. However, it can be two or three consultants. You'd also need technical resources that you can outsource.

The minimum requirement for deploying Infor M3 in terms of staffing is an architect, a solution delivery manager, and functional and technical consultants.

As Infor M3 is cloud-based, you don't have to do maintenance as a client. The solution provider takes care of maintenance.

My advice to others looking into using Infor M3 for the first time is to get the demo. The demo is free and helps you discover more about Infor M3. It would not be easy to know what the solution is capable of if you don't get a demo. If, through the demo, you see that Infor M3 fits your need, then consider using it. If not, you can dismiss it. A demo is crucial, and for demoing to the management team, let people from Infor come in and do the demo for your management team before making a decision.

I would give Infor M3 a nine out of ten.

ERP
    January 2023
    670,523 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    NICOLAS MINIER - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infor OS - M3 Freelance ERP Consultant at Freelance
    Enables warehouse and stock management and provides an overview of purchasing and sales
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to cover different types of activities, and the requirement for maintenance and data is very low."
    • "I would like to have some kind of dashboard to show an overview of different data on the same dashboard or on the same screen instead of moving to BI."

What is our primary use case?

The ERP is for all main manufacturers that work with production or distribution. It's used to manage a warehouse, stock, and to provide an overview of purchasing and sales.

All of the different aspects are managed by different companies, like finance, production, sales, and distribution.

Most of the customers need to move to the cloud, but we still have a lot of customers who deploy the solution on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to cover different types of activities, and the requirement for maintenance and data is very low.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have some kind of dashboard to show an overview of different data on the same dashboard or on the same screen instead of moving to BI. It's a bit complex. If you want a special overview of different data, you need to move to BI. In some cases, it's difficult to have all of the data on the same screen.

It's possible to do it, but it needs some development. Infor is working on it, so we should see some improvements in the next couple of months.

I was a direct user of M3 for about eight years. I have been an M3 consultant for six years.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

I would rate the stability as nine out of ten.

It's easy to scale.

I would rate the scalability as eight out of ten.

Technical support is responsive. At times, the level of feedback is poor. Sometimes the people who take care of the cases don't have the right level of knowledge.

It's difficult to change the level of the case. We always speak to the same guys. It's difficult to have someone else work on the issue. Maybe they work with different levels, but I haven't seen that.

I used to work with SAP, but I prefer M3. SAP is more difficult and complex as an ERP because there's a lot of data to manage.

It's easy to set up with just a cloud environment, depending on if all of your data is well managed or not. A lot of customers don't have a clear view of all the data. In a lot of cases, they haven't managed the data for a while, so you have very old data or data that isn't updated or used anymore.

It might be more challenging to use on the client side.

Most of the customers would like to improve and change a little bit of the process because it's difficult for them. The most difficult part is to auto-manage the data and travel to the new ERP.

It could take from six months to two years to set everything up, including planning.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

My advice is to check and clean all of the different data that you already manage, like customer data, supplier data, and item data. These should be cleaned before entry. You should also check the different processes so you have a good understanding of them.

Partner/Executive at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    It is easy to use, and it shows good information on each screen
    • "Its ease of use is most valuable. Inquiries are transparent, and it shows good information on each screen. We don't have to go to 14 different screens to find out about one item, which is a big advantage."
    • "Its initial setup was probably complex, but it is a very good system."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for running a manufacturing business. We are using it for all aspects of manufacturing, inventory, and sales order processing.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't improved the business yet. That's because implementation was led by the IT function, rather than by the business.

What is most valuable?

Its ease of use is most valuable. Inquiries are transparent, and it shows good information on each screen. We don't have to go to 14 different screens to find out about one item, which is a big advantage.

What needs improvement?

Its initial setup was probably complex, but it is a very good system.

The company has been using it for four years.

The product I supplied is stable, but we are doing things that we shouldn't be doing.

It's good. I used it once in another company some years ago. It was a smaller organization.

I don't have any experience with their support.

It was before my time in the company, and I don't know which package it was.

It was probably complex. The configuration appears to have been designed around theory rather than practice.

The IT people who don't understand the business decided how the system would be used, and the people in the business let them do it. That's why I'm there. I'm there to fix things. If people didn't do these things wrong, then I wouldn't have a job. If people didn't need understanding, then you wouldn't have a job either.

The deployment is still carrying on. It's rolling out through different operations. It's a multinational organization.

It was done in-house. It is deployed at multiple locations all around the world. It required far too many people. We probably had about 40 people. There has been some changeover of people. People implementing a class-leading ERP system are suddenly very attractive to the market. So, there is quite a lot of staff turnover, and we're going through being given new internal support people.

I don't really know what they did. It was before my time in the company.

What other advice do I have?

Just like implementing an ERP system, you should define your business processes and map your business in the way you want to work in the future. You should tell your product consultants, "This is how we want to run our business. Please configure your system to do what we want," as opposed to letting the product consultant come in and say, "Oh, look, our system will do this." It shouldn't be done in a way where they set the system up and then the business follows the system. You always have to work the other way around.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10. It is a very good system.

Ahmed_Nagy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Application Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Is very stable, easy to use, and can handle all types of industrial and manufacturing businesses
    • "It's very stable, and it handles all types of industrial and manufacturing businesses in very good ways. I've found it to be easy."
    • "Infor should create one product to handle the whole business. At present, they make ERP systems for each type of business, and then sell additional features. I would like to have one system handing all organizations or all the business in deep ways and not have to buy additional features."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use M3 for their whole steel manufacturing business including the financial, industrial, and HR models.

What is most valuable?

Infor is continually improving their products; they are constantly upgrading and developing their products.

What needs improvement?

Infor should create one product to handle the whole business. At present, they make ERP systems for each type of business, and then sell additional features. I would like to have one system handing all organizations or all the business in deep ways and not have to buy additional features.

I've been using this solution for about one year.

It is very stable.

Technical support staff are very helpful, and you can have support 24/7. However, because Infor has more than 74 applications, you will have to talk to several people. One person won't know all of the products well. Because of that, I would give technical support an eight out of ten.

Positive

If you've got the business a hundred percent right, then the initial setup will be easy. However, if you don't understand the business or the main goal of the organization, it'll be very difficult.

M3 is a very complicated application for the implementer because there are lot of configuration streams in the industry. If you understand the main goal of the organization, then you will know how to configure it right from the start. Then, you can make it simple for the end user.

Depending on the case, deployment can take days to weeks.

There is a yearly licensing cost.

The price is based on the modules you need. There are several modules, such as the HR module, accounting module, sales module, scheduling module, etc., and the price will vary depending on the number of modules you choose.

The customers always say that it's very expensive. It can cost a lot of money if your organization is huge. It's not implemented in a lot of organizations in my country because it's too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

First, you will need to understand the business and know what is expected from the M3 product.

Second, you will need to sit with one of the experts to show him the know-how and to show how to configure this product to achieve the company's main goal.

I would rate Infor M3 at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Nakul Oza - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infor M3 Consultant at Wipro Limited
    Integrates well with other tools, is easy to implement, and is flexible
    • "Infor comes up with different tools every year, and they are all compatible with Infor M3, which makes it a more reliable and trustworthy tool. The integration is very smooth."
    • "Sometimes, M3 alone cannot handle all the planning functionalities required by a customer. It has to be used along with industry-specific planning tools because M3 doesn't have all the features. However, no product can handle all the requirements of all the industries. There will be some shortcomings in all the products. Though this is an area for improvement, it is not a very serious shortfall or limitation. It can be covered by using third-party planning applications that integrate with Infor M3."

What is our primary use case?

It's an ERP (enterprise resource planning) tool. It has various business functions such as finance, manufacturing, planning, and procurement, warehousing, and CMS. It also has functions to manage the maintenance of different machines in a factory.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is that bug fixes can be applied on the fly since we are using the cloud version now. It makes it easy because we constantly get updates from Infor.

Infor M3 handles all of the core functionalities of different business functions, be it finance, manufacturing, procurement, or warehousing. All core concepts and functionalities are already addressed by Infor M3.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, M3 alone cannot handle all the planning functionalities required by a customer. It has to be used along with industry-specific planning tools because M3 doesn't have all the features. However, no product can handle all the requirements of all the industries. There will be some shortcomings in all the products. Though this is an area for improvement, it is not a very serious shortfall or limitation. It can be covered by using third-party planning applications that integrate with Infor M3.

I've been working with this solution for more than eight years.

It's a very reliable and stable product.

I have contacted technical support, and I would give them a rating of eight out of ten.

Positive

The initial setup is not complex for cloud deployments. It's a very smooth process and doesn't require much effort. Within a day or two, the client should be able to run the test versions or the training versions of Infor M3.

For on-premises deployments, the proper SOPs are in place. A system administrator can easily go through those and install Infor M3 for an enterprise without much difficulty.

What other advice do I have?

Infor M3 caters to different verticals such as fashion, the chemical industry, manufacturing, and so on. It's a very flexible product. It is also cost effective, and I highly recommend it. I would give Infor M3 an overall rating of eight out of ten.

CIS Consultant at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Provides good features that assist with management; outdated technology lacking agility
    • "provides all modules, supply chain, HR - it's good for management."
    • "The solution is stable but not agile."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the manager of IT applications and we are customers of Infor M3.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides all modules, supply chain, HR - it's good for management.

What needs improvement?

From a technology perspective, this is an old solution making it harder to integrate and maintain. Ideally, they should be offering a cloud-based alternative.

I've been using this solution for six years.

The solution is stable but not agile so, for example, supporting new versions of the browser isn't an option. The technology is old.

The technical support is average, it could be improved.

The initial setup involved lots of infrastructure and was quite complex. We had a partner helping us and deployment took about six months.

This is an expensive solution.

Download our free ERP Report and find out what your peers are saying about Infor, SAP, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: January 2023