IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Icinga OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Icinga is #33 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools and Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Icinga an average rating of 8 out of 10. Icinga is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Icinga vs Zabbix. Icinga is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Icinga?
Icinga monitors infrastructures of all sizes with the integrated cluster system secured by SSL, Integrates with DevOps tools and uses an object based configuration or provision on users' monitoring code through the REST API. Icinga has a lightweight and extensible web interface to keep an eye on your environment and provides modules that extend the functionality of Icinga Web 2. Additionally, it offers a fully preconfigured monitoring stack or just add an external perspective.
Icinga Customers

Puppet Labs, Audi, Spacex, Debian, Snapdeal, McGill, RIPE Network Coordination Centre

Archived Icinga Reviews (more than two years old)

MohamedWaly - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Engineer at Revolution Kft
Nice GUI, and the Self-healing event handler automatically restarts system when it is down
  • "This solution has a self-healing handler where if the service is down, it is automatically restarted."
  • "One of the areas that are frustrating is remote monitoring for more than one machine."

What is our primary use case?

Icinga was created as a fork of the Nagios monitoring system. They are similar in graphics and other features, but most who have used Nagios have changed over to Icinga. It was deployed using our enterprise application to monitor different services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is one that not many are even aware of. Icinga has an event handler. This solution has a self-healing handler where if the service is down, it is automatically restarted. Not all monitoring solutions offer this feature. The handler was deployed to take action after the monitoring station has received a critical alarm or a warning alarm. You can configure the handler to take action after the critical alarm without human interaction. Also, we have used the integration between Icinga and terraform. When Terraform starts using a new VM it communicates to the APIs with Icinga, then puts the machine at the Icinga portal. The GUI is very good; it is open-source and it's easy to implement. The NRPE interactions are fine, and the Graphite is good, but there is another source called Grafan and it is better.

What needs improvement?

Development is needed between APIs, Icinga, and the Enterprise.  One of the areas that are frustrating is remote monitoring for more than one machine. If I have two machines, an X and a Y, and I would like monitors from machine Y, I would have to log into Machine Y and run a separate service. Icinga does not provide this service. It is implemented manually, not automated. Icinga uses the latest plugins, it does not have its own plugins. That database monitoring also requires a plugin that is offered with Nagios plugins. The Nagios plugins only monitor the past checks from the database. I would be happy to see more plugin features added. Also, with the CSV importing, you can import the monitors to our CSV files, unfortunately, this feature did not work for me, it needs to be improved.  More market awareness of the event handler is needed. In the next release, I would like to see more plugins, that is number one, more records, and a better dashboard. If they could implement or automate a new dashboard using some colours it would make it easier to navigate through. Icinga dashboard is comparable with other solutions on the market in regards to the dashboard, they are all the same. The users who are monitoring only use the dashboard before they know the features, they don't have the experience. We can write scripts using Tomcat and Java to make it as a plugin and run it, but it would be better to have more plugins available. The more plugins, the better. The API between admin and everything for continuous integrations and continuous delivery needs to be improved. I would like to see some log monitors in the next release. Nagios had some plugins to monitor logs but it did not work for me.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.
Network Monitoring Software
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Icinga, Zabbix, Nagios and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is stable. It does not consume a lot of memory and the networking is fine. We have not had any issues with the CPU, memory, or network. It's compatible with the old machines with old platforms. It is not, however, compatible with all of the tools, but it's fine. There are different machines and different environments with over five hundred nodes that have different structures.

This solution is scalable.  You can scale by opening an RP file or configuration file, add your plugin, and monitor, then reload the configurations. During the implementation, I added the automatic plugin with ansibles and Icinga. When you run the ansible file, it implements the automatics, it then reloads the plugin for you, no manual work is needed.

I have not contacted technical support.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward, but the implementation was not as easy as it was perceived.

We deployed Icinga and the event handler through our IT services.

This is an open-source solution with paid support.

System and Network Administrator at a university with 201-500 employees
Very basic and causes additional issues which we have to work around
  • "An affordable solution for small organizations to do basic network monitoring."
  • "The solution lacks many features important to higher-level IT management and network support."

What is our primary use case?

At this time we use Icinga to just do basic monitoring of our existing infrastructure. We are using SNMP Traps in all devices in addition so that when anything happens on the device it sends an SNMP alert. We can use this solution online or it can send us an email as well.

We started troubleshooting that issue as soon as we saw it. Icinga has a reactive approach. I think the solution is forewarning us but we are looking for some solution which can take a proactive initiative as well. For example, if the CPU is going too high or the net visualization is less than 90%, we should get information about such situations so that we can take actions accordingly to fix the problem.

How has it helped my organization?

It is not really adequate for our current needs. It causes additional issues which we have to work around and takes us time that a better solution would not.

What is most valuable?

I don't know what features are best because I don't like this solution, it seems inadequate, and I only use very basic features. You can get basic information out if it, like the number of devices, iOS, the model, this kind of stuff. But I am not able to find some more detailed information that is important. It may be that we have not deployed all the plugins. At this time we are not doing any research into expanding the deployment because we believe there are better alternatives. My team and I just inherited this solution by default from the previous IT person who deployed it. For now, we're just using it as it is with some workarounds. As it will likely not be deployed much longer, we are not doing any research on it or changing any functionality.

What needs improvement?

A lot of things could be improved because it has a lack of dashboards, no detailed information for reporting, no information for the audit purposes that we can send, no information about the configuration management, and very little inventory information. It is barely serving a purpose.

We have been using this solution for a little less than three years.

From a stability point of view, I think it's quite good. It has a few flaws in gathering information from virtualization and especially for configuration management. We sometimes face issues with the monitoring solution being down or it causes some abnormalities. But that is really functionality and not stability. From a stability point of view, I think it's good.

I saw another site that had different modules that could be integrated with the Icinga product but few things would still be missing if we deployed all of them. An IT or operations team must have these in their monitoring solution like monitoring of detail and monitoring virtualization. Independent of which virtualization solutions our companies use, the solution needs these things. Options like VMware, Hyper-V, Proxmox — any DBM type solution that I am familiar with already has these things.

The solution itself seems to be quite stable, as in the last six months we did not have a reason to contact support. So I can't say whether support is good or bad. But even the person who deployed it did not note any knowledgebase article in our internal ticketing system or mention that someone else opened a case. It suggests there were no problems that required support. I have no idea about how the support team responds to queries.

I've worked with many other monitoring solutions and they are pretty good and they can become very user-friendly over a little time. This solution is not comparable. We are just using it as it is but we have planned to upgrade or to have a new solution. We are looking at a solution which can do monitoring, diagnostics, and configuration management — all in one.

As an IT administrator, I'm looking to make customized dashboards based on requirements and create some modular alerts. There may be some sort of utility that we can add to the product to get some more detailed information, but I think they need to improve specifically these two areas: supporting and the dashboard. Other solutions already have them.

I was not here for the initial setup so I cannot comment on that.

The solution is costing us time and money beyond what is paid for the license.

It is relatively inexpensive and may be okay if you are a smaller organization concerned with the price more than the utility.

I was not the one who chose and installed this solution. The product was already deployed when I joined. We are currently evaluating several potential solutions including Logistics I. We would prefer it to be a modular based approach which can help us to achieve multiple tasks from a single console. That suggests dashboards and diagnostic capabilities. We will probably replace this with a higher-priced solution that is capable of more.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a small infrastructure or a small number of devices that you want to monitor, then I think it's a good solution. If you have a lot of devices or an enterprise level installation that you want to monitor, I don't think that this solution can be entertained.

I've been in IT infrastructure support for the last 15 years and I have not seen such a solution which has this very basic level of monitoring.

I would rate it a four out of ten.

Network Monitoring Software
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network and IT Security Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Enables us to monitor everything starting from UPS to international mail chain

What is our primary use case?

Flexibility.

How has it helped my organization?

We monitor all, starting from UPS to international mail chains.

What is most valuable?

Object-oriented configuration.

What needs improvement?

The connection between Icinga and Icinga Web.

More than five years.
it_user375258 - PeerSpot reviewer
system engineer with 11-50 employees
Macros and ability to connect to Google Maps are good, but needs support for SNMP traps
  • "Macros and the ability to connect it to Google Maps are valuable features."
  • "It needs Trap SNMP. I saw the documentation for Zabbix, that it has its own built-in product which handles SNMP traps, and there's nothing similar in Icinga or Nagios. I think this feature is most important for me."

What is our primary use case?

To monitor IT infrastructure. To monitor and to see transfers.

It has performed well. I like this product.

What is most valuable?

• Macros
  • Possibility to connect it to Google Maps

What needs improvement?

Trap SNMP. I saw the documentation for Zabbix, that it has its own built-in product which handles SNMP traps, and there's nothing similar in Icinga or Nagios. I think this feature is most important for me.

Very good.

Scalability is problematic. If you have a stable environment it's good, but if the environment is growing, I had some problems with Icinga.

I previously used openNMS and Zenoss.

A little bit complex, but I am familiar with it, so it was not problem for me. But I believe it would not so easy for everyone.

It is complex because you have to establish the database. There's nothing in Icinga which has own SNMP trap management, so I had to use something external. It's not so easy.

I use it for monitoring infrastructure and it was very good for that issue. But, I heard many people say that Zabbix is a better solution so I want to compare them both, to form my own point of view on that. I want to compare them, to make a decision to migrate to Zabbix or to stay with Icinga.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a product, the most important criterion is functionality.

If you have a static environment, you can use Icinga because it's very good. But if your environment is growing fast, think about Icinga but also consider Zabbix.

I think Icinga is a seven out of 10, because it's good and fast. It's not a 10 because of poor support for SNMP traps.

Information Security Officer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quick View Of Server Status, And Live Information On Custom Dashboards Are Great

What is most valuable?

Network Services and Host Monitoring. Quick view of server status.

How has it helped my organization?

With Icinga 2's REST API, you can update your configurations on the fly or show live information about current problems on your custom dashboards.

What needs improvement?

Network Discovery capabilities would be extremely helpful.

Three to five years.

Never used, but I would assume excellent. The open source community is amazing for this product.

Nagios. Just wanted to try something new.

Yes, simple install on Ubuntu Server 12.04, 14.04, or any LTS edition.

Very reasonable.

Not really. I searched for alternatives to Nagios and additional network monitoring software and this one was the best option.

What other advice do I have?

People should know that it is simple and advanced. It is simple to install yet provides advanced monitoring capabilities and features.

Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Satellite servers check their own zones and report back to the masters.

What is most valuable?

Icinga2 was designed to delegate, distribute and balance tasks between several nodes. I like the clustering feature and running satellite servers, which check their own zones and report back to the masters. Truly a distributed monitoring solution!

How has it helped my organization?

I deploy this solution for customers; therefore, it didn't improve my organisation. Still, customers say that they like the modern design approach and the possibilities one has in terms of automated configuration and automation. Most of them integrate Icinga2 into their automation tools and therefore configure the monitoring solution without much manual efforts.

What needs improvement?

The modern Web GUI Icingaweb2, a separate product, though, has some issues when displaying data (such as downtimes). There are edge cases where it seems like the displayed data is not consistent.

In addition, in my personal opinion, Icingaweb2 should get a more structured design. Sometimes, it is very hard to keep an overview of what's happening.

I used Icinga 2.4 for several months and have been using Icinga 2.6 for four weeks now.

We have not encountered any deployment issues at all. The deployment is very easy; there are even wizards helping you to skip manual configuration tasks. You still can automatize the deployment, though.

Stability is great.

Icinga2 is meant to scale in many directions; thus, no issues should occur here.

I did not contact the customer service. The community is very active and developers usually reply within hours on GitHub.

I did not contact the technical support.

I used Nagios 3.x and tested Check_MK. Both are great solutions. However, Icinga2 comes with the best scalability and flexibility in terms of configuration. Furthermore, the API is great.

The initial setup can be tricky, I highly advise to study the docs before getting started. Many configuration options are set indirectly, depending on how you set up Icinga2 (in terms of infrastructure design).

We are deploying it ourselves.

Icinga2 is free, but you can sign a support contract with the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Icinga 2 is so flexible that it makes sense to either have some people read the docs and carefully evaluate all configuration possibilities; or, if possible, it makes sense to get someone on board and receive help in designing your monitoring platform.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My current employer will sign a partnership with the company sponsoring most dev work for Icinga2.
Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Icinga, Zabbix, Nagios, and more!
Updated: June 2022