Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Planning Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Planning Analytics is #4 ranked solution in top Business Performance Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Planning Analytics an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. IBM Planning Analytics is most commonly compared to Microsoft BI: IBM Planning Analytics vs Microsoft BI. IBM Planning Analytics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the Business Performance Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Planning Analytics?

IBM Planning Analytics is an integrated planning solution that uses AI to automate planning, budgeting, and forecasting and drive more intelligent workflows.

Built on TM1, IBM’s powerful calculation engine, this enterprise performance management tool allows you to transcend the limits of manual planning and become the Analytics Hero your business needs. Quickly and easily drive faster, more accurate plans for FP&A, sales, supply chain and beyond.

IBM Planning Analytics was previously known as Cognos TM1, IBM Cognos TM1.

IBM Planning Analytics Customers

ManpowerGroup, Convergys, AIG, Orchard Brands, Citibank, InterGen, Northwestern University, EF Education First, Ironside, Bazan Group, CSOB Insurance, Macquarie Group, Charles Stanley, SATO, Government of Sint Maarten, BMW Financial Services

IBM Planning Analytics Video

IBM Planning Analytics Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Planning Analytics pricing:
  • "The license of this solution is paid annually. Most of my customers choose a license that includes support."
  • "It is a bit expensive, but you get what you are paying for."
  • IBM Planning Analytics Reviews

Systems Analyst at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    High-performing, helps clients save time in budget processes
    • "A lot of the platform is in-memory, so Planning Analytics can run calculations quite fast. It also offers several user interfaces. And in the newest version of Planning Analytics, there is a new one called the Planning Analytics Workspace. Maybe it could be useful for the business side."
    • "It's highly competitive right now, and all the vendors are in a race to put out new versions with additional features. IBM comes out with new versions too often, and it has an impact on quality."

What is our primary use case?

It varies from client to client, but IBM Planning Analytics is used for budgeting processes in every case. In addition, some clients use it for reporting as a data source.

How has it helped my organization?

Some of our customers previously used Excel spreadsheets for budget planning, and the process took more than two months. However, after switching to Planning Analytics, they could do it in a week. And they were able to do multiple projections, like optimistic, pessimistic, realistic, etc.

What is most valuable?

A lot of the platform is in-memory, so Planning Analytics can run calculations quite fast. It also offers several user interfaces. And in the newest version of Planning Analytics, there is a new one called the Planning Analytics Workspace. Maybe it could be useful for the business side.

What needs improvement?

It's highly competitive right now, and all the vendors are in a race to put out new versions with additional features. IBM comes out with new versions too often, and it has an impact on quality.

Business Performance Management
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Jedox, Board International and others in Business Performance Management. Updated: September 2022.
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using IBM Planning Analytics for 10 years or more. Before, it was named TM1.

I think Planning Analytics is quite a stable solution.

IBM uses Planning Analytics. So if this huge company has a vast quantity of users working on it simultaneously, it must be scalable.

If we face some issues, we raise escalate tickets for IBM, and usually, they can find some temporary solution. We are the first-line support for our customers, but if we face some issue, we escalate tickets. But it's true for any comparable platform, like SAP BPC or Oracle Hyperion. So if we can face some tricky issues, we have to escalate tickets to the vendor.

All of the solutions have some complications when it comes to installation. In our company, we installed SAP BPC, Oracle Hyperion, and Planning Analytics. All of them can be tricky. Sometimes you can face some issues. And it also depends on what you're doing. For example, if you're installing everything on one PC, it will be fast and easy. But when you want to create a real, stable infrastructure with a distributed installation across multiple machines, it is a little more complex. We provide solutions for our customers, so we install everything for them.

If we look at the budgeting processes of companies that have implemented this solution, then I think you'll see ROI. This service lets customers finish their budgeting process faster, so they don't waste any time. It's capable of analyzing large amounts of data, so it's they can work more productively. At the same time, budget planning is used to motivate employees and help them achieve some goals.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Planning Analytics eight out of 10.

Dirk Boeckmann - PeerSpot reviewer
    Executive Partner at Beat2Lead GmbH
    Beneficial predictive analytics, flexibility, and useful forecasting
    • "The flexibility of IBM Planning Analytics is a great feature of this solution. The design flexibility with data rules and defining calculations The ability to combine online and offline calculations are a benefit. Additionally, the forecasting features and predictive analytics is very good."
    • "The new frontend Planning Analytics Workspace is not very good, it could be improved. I like the Planning Analytics functionality but it would be helpful if it could be more customizable. You can create a prediction and receive information but you cannot do feature engineering regarding the predictive models. If this was added it would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I tried to implement IBM Planning Analytics on the cloud together with the services of IBM, and it didn't work well. We are using the solution predominantly on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility of IBM Planning Analytics is a great feature of this solution. The design flexibility with data rules and defining calculations The ability to combine online and offline calculations are a benefit. Additionally, the forecasting features and predictive analytics is very good.

What needs improvement?

The new frontend Planning Analytics Workspace is not very good, it could be improved. I like the Planning Analytics functionality but it would be helpful if it could be more customizable. You can create a prediction and receive information but you cannot do feature engineering regarding the predictive models. If this was added it would be helpful.

The new frontends could improve, the older ones were better. They come with a lot of weight; IBM Cognos Analytics is inbuilt, has a lot to install and maintain. A flexible, lightweight frontend, with high adaptability, is more important than a large heavy solution. In these heavy solutions, you have to maintain the installation, do a lot of configuration, and have to pay a lot of attention to the size of the installation.

I have been using IBM Planning Analytics for approximately 24 years.

IBM Planning Analytics is a stable solution.

The scalability of IBM Planning Analytics is good.

We have more than 100 users using this solution.

The technical support could improve. They are not very fast at responding to problems. I contacted them in July last year, and I received feedback in September.

The initial installation of IBM Planning Analytics is straightforward. The full implementation can take approximately four to five months.

We did the implementation of the solutions ourselves.

We use one person for the maintenance of this solution.

IBM Planning Analytics has had a competitive disadvantage in the last 10 years. The maintenance and renewals have become much more expensive. The overall price is has increased.

Historically it had a high return on investment, but IBM has increased prices and the maintenance too to a level that many customers are thinking to move to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Planning Analytics a nine out of ten.

Business Performance Management
    September 2022
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Expert EPM (TM1 Cognos BI) at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Quick data analysis, reliable, AI improvement needed
    • "Navigating through the data to make analysis is really quick."
    • "It would have been better if the solution was not just a tool kit."

What is most valuable?

Navigating through the data to make analysis is really quick.

What needs improvement?

It would have been better if the solution was not just a tool kit. They did not embed some functionalities already developed, we are having to develop them ourselves. It would be helpful to have pre-packaged data functionality already developed and the only thing you need to do is configure and use it.

When I worked with IBM it was with a consulting company, I have made projects for many customers and we always developed starting from nothing. They have already begun to integrate AI into the prediction forecast for the future. This will give the possibility to have a predictive data based on AI. I would like to see more AI in future releases.

I have been using the solution for 11 years.

It is a stable product. We have customers that encounter issues, but we always fixed it. There are many projects that we have made, some of the companies have a lot of customers. They are in production in many sectors, such as bank sectors. The main problem is when the server shuts down without warning. It is our big nightmare.

It is a scalable solution.

I have contacted the support, they successfully resolved my issues. It took some time, but it was resolved. They could be faster on resolving issues.

It is complicated to install the solution. You need to consultant with special skills and experienced technical team.

I would advise using consultants, it can be difficult to implement.

What other advice do I have?

Basic level users cannot develop the application. However, you might manage to develop it, but you make a big risk that you will develop not following best practice. The cube population might be voluminous, and the calculation could be too slow if you do not respect some best practices.

I rate IBM Planning Analytics a seven out of ten.

President & Co-Founder at VERSATIL BPI INC
    Advanced, flexible, easy to use, and one of the best
    • "The ease of use is valuable. The fact that it's plugged into Excel spreadsheets is also valuable. It provides additional functionality where you can slice and dice the information in a way that you can't do with spreadsheets"
    • "It is a bit expensive, but it does the job."

What is our primary use case?

We're a business partner of IBM. We resell Planning Analytics, and we have clients utilizing Planning Analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients really like it because they're able to do their budgeting, planning, and forecasting using it. It connects to their Cognos dashboard. We do the integration between different technologies with Cognos and TM1. We also do predictions with SPSS.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is valuable. The fact that it's plugged into Excel spreadsheets is also valuable. It provides additional functionality where you can slice and dice the information in a way that you can't do with spreadsheets.

We really like the flexibility of it.

What needs improvement?

It is a bit expensive, but it does the job.

It is a stable solution.

It can scale big.

They've been very good with us and our clients. It has been fine.

It is easy to set it up. It has a familiar interface. It is like using the Excel interface.

It is a bit expensive, but you get what you are paying for.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool. It is quite advanced. There is not really any other equivalent on the market right now. To implement this type of tool, you need to be surrounded by a good partner to make sure that you can benefit from it.

Implementing TM1 is not just about financials. It is also about understanding the data structure and making sure that you have a good design in the backend to take full advantage of TM1.

I've been in this industry for about 30 years, and I really like Planning Analytics. I would rate it a 10 out of 10. It is absolutely one of the best.

Accounting Services Finance Manager M&S at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
    Brings together data from different platforms and it's all very well integrated

What is our primary use case?

I'm an accountant services finance manager and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution brings together a lot of data from different platforms and it's all integrated.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see an increase in speed on extracting the data. That would be an improvement.

It's a very stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

I think the price is okay, of course it's always good to have a discount.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Business Performance Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Jedox, Board International, and more!
    Updated: September 2022