IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP Analytics Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Analytics Cloud is #2 ranked solution in top Predictive Analytics tools and #4 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Analytics Cloud an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. SAP Analytics Cloud is most commonly compared to Tableau: SAP Analytics Cloud vs Tableau. SAP Analytics Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
SAP Analytics Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Analytics Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SAP Analytics Cloud?

SAP Analytics Cloud is an all-in-one Software-as-a-Service business intelligence tool that provides the key functionalities of an analytics tool to SAP business users. This tool is built on HANA Business Intelligence (BI) platform, providing analytics from data collected from multiple sources, such as ERP, Microsoft SQL, and Salesforce, among other solutions.

You can use SAP Analytics Cloud to compile data and perform ad-hoc reporting and analysis for predictive planning. SAP Analytics Cloud collects and analyzes the raw data from transactional systems into intelligent insights that allow you to make better decisions.

SAP Analytics Cloud uses machine learning to clean up data, identify errors, and issues, and suggest optimization or filtering options. You can use the modeling feature in Analytics Cloud to create hierarchies and get deeper data insights.

The three core functions of SAP Analytics Cloud consist of Planning, Predictive Analysis, and Business Intelligence as a holistic SaaS solution that offers real-time analysis to business leaders.

SAP Analytics Cloud Capabilities

• Data discovery
  • Machine learning
  • Integrated financial and business planning
  • Predictive analysis
  • Automated data cleansing
  • Custom widgets
  • Mobile extension
  • Role-based customization
  • Data exploration and visualization

SAP Analytics Cloud Key Features

• Augmented analytics: SAP Analytics Cloud allows organizations to make the most of AI (Artificial Intelligence)-powered analytics through augmented analytics. It includes a Search to Insight feature that enables users not skilled or experienced in data science to access and use the platform.

These smart insight tools allow organizations to visualize business data without manual intervention. By combining multiple machine learning algorithms, SAP Analytics Cloud automates predictive analysis so that organizations can have significant insight into secured data.
  • Enterprise planning: As SAP Analytics Cloud is an all-in-one financial planning and analysis solution, organizations can use it to align strategies across all departments. It allows end-to-end, data-driven planning decisions via financial modeling, allocations, smart insights, and automated reporting.

The Zero-based budgeting feature allows for an effective resources allocation with built-in collaboration tools. The finance team can collaborate easily, create budget templates and make accurate decisions.

SAP Analytics Cloud Benefits

• Real-time cloud insights: SAP Analytics Cloud makes it easy for users at every level to generate instant insights and improve data-driven decision-making. With SAP Analytics Cloud, you can have immediate and central access to all figures, diagrams, insights, and evaluations for every employee on every device and updated in real time.

• Customizable dashboard: You can customize your dashboard according to your requirements. This customization means you can easily access all the relevant data on a single pane of vision tailored to your business.

• Collaborative planning: As an all-in-one platform, SAP Analytics Cloud integrates the multiple aspects of a business into a single solution, including finance, HR, sales, and supply chain management.

• Data on any device: You can integrate SAP Analytics Cloud with SAP S/4 HANA and deploy insights to Android and iOS devices. The SAP S/4 HANA integration also enables the rolling out of changes to multiple files and devices from a central location, so you can carry your business operations on the go over a secured cloud network.

• In-memory technology: Since it is based on SAP HANA in-memory technology, SAP Analytics Cloud can process massive amounts of data in a short time.

Reviews from Real Users

Segun O., SAP HANA Developer at SOA PEOPLE, says that "The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform."

The Head of Finance Enterprise Application at a computer software company adds that "The visualization feature is the most valuable. SAP Analytics Cloud is also very easy to use."

"Its many features make it the best in the market," sums up a Consultor SAP Business Object, Sap Analytics Cloud at a tech services company.

SAP Analytics Cloud was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Cloud.

SAP Analytics Cloud Customers

Live Oak Bank

SAP Analytics Cloud Video

SAP Analytics Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Analytics Cloud pricing:
  • "Compute and storage features should be sold separately."
  • "It's quite expensive and costs a lot to maintain, especially with licensing."
  • "It is not the most expensive one. You have to do the cost-of-ownership analysis and take a lot of things into consideration to come up with the conclusion that it is cheaper or not, but its price is reasonable. It provides value for money."
  • "The price is competitive. There is a power user license and normal user license, but the normal user license is reasonable."
  • SAP Analytics Cloud Reviews

Santosh  Pallai - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables us to allocate, spread, and distribute actual figures
    • "In the most recent release, the schedule publication was officially updated and it's been added on MS Office 365. I like how we had an EPM for B to C perspective; it's a great enhancement. Also, I believe the B to B connectivity has been improved. Android support for mobile is really good also. Power BI has always had android support in place, so manual support for SAP Analytics Cloud is also a very good feature."
    • "Custom visuals is another area of improvement. There are also some mobile features that are missing. There are features that aren't available on the mobile."

What is our primary use case?

My VP asked me to work with my plan number to figure out how to increase and support our sales region. On the planning admin, I created a model and then imported actual and forecasted data. From that, I was able to determine the variance. We managed to plan this with small amounts of data.

We created a planning model and enabled it to make a planning checkmark that works with the time category in the tab dimension, in order to bring it down to the lowest granularity, by month, start date, and end date.

We created an organization dimension. A responsible person to monitor each region is required. Then you can drag and drop the region hierarchy from the parent.

Then, we worked on the calculated numbers, for example, the gross margin, which was the total revenue minus COGS. We then divided that number by total revenue times one hundred. From there, we could pull the data from the file and select source actuality to validate it.

We performed all of this using SAP Analytics Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

In the most recent release, the schedule publication was officially updated and it's been added on MS Office 365. I like how we had an EPM for B to C perspective; it's a great enhancement. Also, I believe the B to B connectivity has been improved. Android support for mobile is really good also. Power BI has always had android support in place, so manual support for SAP Analytics Cloud is also a very good feature.

Smart Insights have also been enhanced, especially in regards to the Stories.

Apart from that, I would like to see more data-handling enhancement. Smart planning can give us immediate results.  When we come to analytics, If we could get more enhancement, we could probably completely skip the data warehousing concepts. This would be a big improvement.

With all of the new updates, now we can combine different types of data together and give our customers a full picture.

I am happy with the new release that is coming out. It's comparatively a little slower than the version we had from 2019-2020; however, the enhancements they have added are much better than previous versions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we can allocate, spread, and distribute the actual figures.

What needs improvement?

The cost is an area that could be improved. I also think that Ofice 365 should be incorporated. People would find it to be more user-friendly with Office 365 integrated. Flat file integration can be a distinguishing factor.

Custom visuals is another area of improvement. There are also some mobile features that are missing. There are features that aren't available on the mobile.

There should also be better connectivity tools for HANA and Success Factors. They have minimal visualization relations and they have the third-party add-ins.

SAP Analytics Cloud
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SAP Analytics Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for the past six months.

We have 300-plus Stories that we already had in the system, that we had to do performance tuning. I brought it down to 267, to be exact. We had over 302 dashboards and then we brought it down to 111 stories on 267 visualizations. When we have too many pages, the performance gets impacted a little on the initialization part. When we open the story, it takes a little bit of time because it's not on-premise. Because our clients are based in the Netherlands and we are based in Bangalore, we had to manage the different time zones, and the business hours are different. We had to find out during the peak business hour how the SSE behaves.

We found that in the peak business hours it does slow down a little bit, considering the internet speed and everything. We did take everything into account. Then we checked the performance and the data also. In order to be competitive with the other software in the market, a little enhancement in this part also would give the upper hand compared to other BI tools.

We used to go in a cognitive window wherein we don't have any caches in place, so that we could get an accurate picture of the performance. But we also want to reduce the number of filters, and then we want to do more slicing and dicing across the data and try to see how it improves. In the near future, we would try to test the data more.

It performs quite well. Custom visuals would definitely help us to improve a little more.

There are more viewer licenses. We have got close to 130 users for Analytics Cloud. And for developer access, for read and write, at our location we have around six plus two for planning, altogether 11 to 12 licenses.

We have BW HANA. So we have only four developers as of now. We used it more extensively before the pandemic but not as much now. We do have plans to increase usage in the near future.

The technical support is quite good. Any time there is a new release and we have any issues, we connect with the technical support team and then go ahead and write about it in a blog so that the other users can also get help for similar issues.

We previously used Cognos Analytics and Tableau. I've done a couple of POCs on Tableau and worked on micro-strategy. We switched to SAP Analytics Cloud primarily for the planning, development, and the user-friendliness. When SAP comes up with a solution, they definitely try to be up to market. The features were not in a premature stage. We had faith that SAP had enhanced features compared to other BI tools.

The initial setup was pretty easy. It was also easy for my team. They thought it was easy to install. There's no download, there was no complexity.

We do the maintenance for it because we know the ins and outs of the development. We also do the admin.

What other advice do I have?

If you are new to SSE and are trying to implement SSE in your project, don't think that SSE is an SAP product. Look into the features because I am sure you'll be satisfied with the features. They come out with the releases. I go into the release notes to understand what are the enhancements are. This will make it easier to understand.

If you have somebody who isn't as experienced with BI, even that person can still learn SSE and can cope up with the BI requirements. In India, if you want to be a BI compatible, you have to have at least three years' experience so that you can understand all of the data warehousing concepts, and EDL. With SSE, learning is very smooth and easy.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

The missing point would be because of the performance.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Consultor SAP Business Object, Sap Analytics Cloud at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Analytics privacy is the best in the market in BI platforms
    • "It's many features make it the best in the market."
    • "Connection and integration with other applications have a lot of restrictions at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

We have many use cases. These include the SAP Analytics platform tool and the SAP Analytics Cloud project. Some of the tools these products provide tend to fit the same situation. But other use cases can depend on the clients' resources including on-premise servers, or on-premise application. There are many installation requirements, for example in Cloud connect. We often need consultancy support from SAP to assist us.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP Analytics Cloud is very popular amongst most companies around the world. There are three editions of the product.

What is most valuable?

The analytics privacy is the best in the market in BI platforms. SAP Analytics Cloud has a planning tool and integration tool. It is the best business intelligence platform. It's not very complex. Its many features make it the best in the market. It also has new extra storage. I have had very good experiences with SAP Analytics Cloud. There are many standards for setup. The SAP Analytics Cloud connects with the SAP ERP Central Component (SAP ECC) or S/4HANA (SAP's ERP for large enterprises) or any other things around the application server. SAP Analytics Cloud has machine learning installed, which includes a Smart Discovery and a smart BI tool. It's the best feature if you need machine learning. The Smart Discovery is the best tool for me in catalog discovery tools. In addition to SAP Analytics Cloud, there is SAP Data Warehouse Cloud, includes other tools about business intelligence, and SAP HANA Cloud tools

What needs improvement?

SAP Analytics Cloud can connect to any server architect, database server, or application server. There are many models for implementation to the Cloud or on-premises. The implementation process for SAP Analytics Cloud could be improved, as there are many application servers, in the company. Also, there are many applications. This implies there are many KPIs to connect with other applications. Connection and integration with other applications have a lot of restrictions at the moment. As a result, the implementation process is complicated. SAP Cloud connect is easier to implement on-premises. Future releases could include a provision to remove some of those restrictions.

Previously, I had 15 years of experience with SAP BI, using Business Objects. I have been using the latest version of SAP Analytics Cloud, for two years as a consultant. I used SAP Business Objects premium, previously, and SAP Analytics Cloud version. My related lengthy experience with Business Objects has helped me learn SAP Analytics Cloud more easily in the last two years. I am mainly experienced in using the IDM tool. I lead on Cloud installations and I have had a lot of training. I also know the core model design. I can explain the model design and related server applications. My main experience is with the design model. I have experience with graphics transformations. Also, I have designed KPIs tools in SAP Analytics Cloud working with customers to specific KPIs. I consider design knowledge to be the most important task for daily tasks. For example, in S/4HANA or SAP ECC, we have to design services, for backups and data.  In Venezuela and Latin America, we have to design the ETL process and model those in the SAP Analytics Cloud. We also have to design the dashboard for the customer. Many companies have SAP in Venezuela. As a freelance partner, I work independently. Companies utilize my services when they have a specific implementation of an SAP application they need.

It has many features as a platform. SAP Analytics Cloud has various editions. It depends what it's going to be used for and expected. It has a public edition, and an SAP Analytics Cloud public edition. SAP Analytics Cloud also has a premier edition, which includes customer tool access. The premium edition is the paid-for edition. The premium addition also has better access than the other editions of SAP Analytics Cloud. The client is a large commercial company specialising in telecommunications. I'm working on support and implementation at the moment. Stability can sometimes depend on the size of the company, as a smaller company will generally have less complicated requirements than a large company. It also depends on the design model, and the consultant to know the model and the required customer solution.

You need to know many things about the business. SAP Analytics Cloud, requires consultancy implementation. You have to have good technical skills and knowledge in your business unit or area. These are major concerns. My previous experience with business intelligence products has helped with implementations of SAP Analytics Cloud. It's easier if we have the assistance of a BI consultant, and the team have knowledge about the implementation. The team must be trained in SAP. I keep my knowledge of SAP, and the latest improvements, up-to-date daily. I run webinars for staff, as I am required to train others. The recent versions of SAP have many improvements, but staff need to be kept in the loop about these. For example, currently, I am looking at HANA Cloud within the platform. It is always important for the team to keep the documentation up-to-date, so that, if anything changes or features are added it is included with the latest information.

Implementations are usually carried out in conjunction with the vendor team, which includes SAP and BI consultants.

What other advice do I have?

The best way to keep up with relevant information about SAP Analytics Cloud is in public forums. I check those daily, including any blogs. There are many useful articles on the internet about SAP Analytics Cloud. I rate SAP Analytics Cloud as a 10, based on the implementation, functionality to the users and it is the best tool to measure KPIs in the Cloud.

Private Cloud

Other
    SAP Analytics Cloud
    July 2022
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Human Resources Consultant - Workforce Reporting at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to set up with good forecasting capabilities but requires knowledge of programming languages
    • "There is a really nice insight feature that I enjoy using."
    • "The customizations need to be better."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for reporting. We talk to people in all different roles and in all different types of companies and organizations. It's just to get a more well-rounded scope.

We use it to build a human capital dashboard and I use it to report on workforce data, hires and exits, movements, and items of that nature.

What is most valuable?

I like the forecasting capabilities.

There is a really nice insight feature that I enjoy using. It automatically adds input, which is quite helpful.

The initial setup was super simple.

What needs improvement?

The customizations need to be better. In order to do some basic functions, in order to create certain basic functions in input control, you need to know a couple of basic programming languages. It would be better if these input controls were easier to create or to get working. For example, in Tableau, it's so easy. You just add these controls. However, in this product, for certain basic functions like dropdown boxes, it's more difficult for the basic business user. If you're not in IT, it's not as easy as Tableau.

The product needs to offer more options for navigation. There need to be dropdown filtering op boxes. Right now, when you filter, what you have filtered is not presented - the selection isn't on the screen. If you're looking at it, you don't know if you've got the right number unless you hover over it.

Some of the functionalities that do not use any IT or business language, such as BIAL, which is a subset of JavaScript, and something called CSS, need to be incorporated.

The analytics app is designed for programmers. You need to know programming languages in order to use the solution effectively, and some users aren't programmers. Unfortunately, if you want something that should be simple to do, that's not available as you need to have that programming language.

I'm a new-ish user; I just started this year. I would say I've used it for less than a year.

The product seems very secure. It seems very stable. I've had no issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. I am not using it to its current potential, however, this is one of the benefits of the program, as is it can be scaled out for the whole organization, due to the ability for it to connect directly to the cloud data and right to the SAP.

Different business units are using the solution, including HR, long-term care, and transportation. I'm not sure how many users are leveraging it, however. We are a city-wide organization and different government areas use it.

It is not widely used right now, as we are still in the demo stage. That said, I can say that the organization is planning on committing to it.

I've never had to use technical support except to go to my own IT staff for help, and therefore I can't comment very well on SAP's level of assistance.

I'm also familiar with Tableau.

We were using Excel and Tableau, and we stopped using Excel due to the fact that there's no scalability there. It's just very slow and cumbersome. That was Microsoft, actually. With Tableau, we are also using it for other things. Due to the nature of this software, it's good for some projects, and Tableau is better for others. This one's more suited towards data that is coming directly from a live system. Tableau works really well with flat files.

For me, the implementation was very simple.

Our IT department provided me with the access rights and provided me with the appropriate links, as well as all of the training materials that SAP has on their website.

My deployment was small and quick. For the whole organization, it takes much longer. I am using it with a flat-file, inserting data into the cloud to connect with it, and therefore, my scope is very small compared to the whole organization. It did not take me long at all.

I handle the maintenance myself. It doesn't require much maintenance. I do work with IT when I need to.

I used our IT staff, however, they have been working with representatives from the company in order to deploy the product organization-wide.

I can't speak to the licensing or costs. I'm not involved in that aspect just yet.

There seem to be three different levels of licenses, including one for a viewer, and one for a designer and one is for analytics.

This is currently the solution we are evaluating.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to all-out purchase the analytics application, as some of the features are in just the designer mode, and they are not going to be sufficient. You're going to need some of the features that are contained in the third option, the analytics application.

Users need to be very familiar with what they have called the data modeler and should spend some time modeling and rendering data in their data modeler or just importing data into something called the dataset. With the dataset, users have more flexibility, however, the data modeling, that's something I didn't know starting out. Had I done it differently, I might have used the data modeler.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Ramasamy Telungupalayam - PeerSpot reviewer
    SAP Intelligent Enterprise Manager at Arram solutions ltd
    Brings our team together through enhanced collaboration
    • "The ability to collaborate and plan together is great."
    • "Figuring out how to navigate all of the products around Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP Analytics Cloud and BW for HANA is quite difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial planning and analysis. We definitely plan to expand our usage of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution brings our team together easily through its collaboration abilities.

What is most valuable?

The ability to collaborate and plan together is great. In fact, the collaboration capabilities across the board are very good. Also, integration-wise, it's very good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to know how Analytics Cloud plays with other products like SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP HANA Cloud. SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is now integrated with SAP Analytics Cloud, but I would like to know how they strategically work together; what is the strategy? How do they work together and how is SAP planning to implement self-service? Currently, it's not very clear — particularly regarding Data Warehouse Cloud which is now part of SAP Analytics Cloud. It's quite difficult to navigate because SAP has many products.

Figuring out how to navigate all of the products around Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP Analytics Cloud and BW for HANA is quite difficult. The strategy of all the individual products and the roadmap itself, if you take it separately, it all looks good. There is a transformation navigator, but I don't think it's useful. It's not very easy to use; it's more technical than it is on the business side. In short, the roadmap and integration with other SAP Analytics products like Data Warehouse Cloud need to be improved. It's not clear and I can't find any information from SAP addressing the subject.

I have been using SAP Analytics Cloud for one year.

This solution is quite stable.

We don't require that much support; it's all in the cloud and it's been pretty good. It's well supported I would say.

We used Power BI and Tableau, but they both do not offer the native integration and business content that SAP provides. SAP provides a lot of business content and templates which is quite handy when it comes to complex projects.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

A team of consultants helped us with deployment — they were very helpful. As far as deployment is concerned, we followed an agile implementation model.

Deployment time varies depending on the project size and complexity. SAP has features like analytics, planning, predictive capabilities, simulation, and analytical application. All of these features are very good. They're all combined into one platform where everything can interact together.

Compute and storage features should be sold separately.

Typically, compute and storage is sold separately because there are a lot of use cases. A lot of people ask for it because other competitive products offer it. If they could provide that, it would be very helpful.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using this solution, you have to be aware of the frequent changes and product improvement that occurs. Every month there's a new update. You need to be aware of that but at the same time, don't get carried away with all the new features. Keep track of the roadmap and what new updates are coming. It won't cause any problems, but as it updates so often, it's good to keep track of what new features will be available and which features you should implement.

SAP Analytics can be used as an all-in-one source. It can bring everything together: BI, predictive, planning, simulation — it can combine all of this into a single user interface. Other products have also done this, but SAP has done it very nicely. It's quite good, it's quite stable — I like it.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. It combines all features into a single user interface, including planning, prediction, simulation, analytics application, and analytics or data dash boarding and reporting — I like it.

Segun Oyeleke - PeerSpot reviewer
    SAP HANA Developer at SOA PEOPLE
    Flexible, easy to use with a rich number of templates, but they need support for more languages
    • "The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform."
    • "They need more support for more languages, Python for example."

What is our primary use case?

I am a developer and I work mostly on the technical side.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform.

There are many scripting capabilities with a language that is close to JavaScript. It's not exactly JavaScript but it's a spin-off of it.

It has a rich number of templates included that you can enhance.

It's easier to get going on, compared to other solutions.

Many of my clients are apprehensive when you have to deploy the solution. They ask you if the data could be transferred to visualization software.

It's cloud-based, and what's good about the cloud is that it doesn't need to store any data. It can read your data and generate it from the NetApp file. It can generate your model or how your model is going to look like. You don't need to transfer your data set to the cloud to report on.

It's quite flexible.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. It's quite expensive.

I don't know how usable it is for other platforms.

In terms of connectivity, if you want to report on live data you have to use what is called the calculation view. It's a graphical view of SAP HANNA, but it's quite limiting as a structure.

They need support for more languages, Python for example. I know that Tableau does this quite well.

If you can integrate more features from the programming side, it would enhance analytics especially the languages that are more analytics-based such as R. I think SAP Analytics Cloud supports a measure of R but could be enhanced.

I may have a narrow view of its usage, but I think that it is quite dependent on SAP environments.

I have not encountered any clients who are using it for Oracle ERP or an Oracle database and are reporting are using SAP cloud.

It's quite, vendor narrow. For an analytics platform, it's quiet, vendor restrictive.

I have been working with SAP Analytics Cloud for a year and a half.

It's quite stable.

It's a scalable product.

We work with medium-sized enterprise companies, but mostly large-sized clients use SAP. Pharmaceuticals can be used as an example.

It has good technical support.

Previously, I have tried Tableau but not project wise in terms of deployment. I have a lab where I can do some trials.

Also, I have worked with PowerBI a little bit but not in-depth.

It's quite expensive and costs a lot to maintain, especially with licensing.

What other advice do I have?

If the client is SAP-based then I would say it's quite okay to implement this product.

It's stable, provided they have the budget for the licensing which is, I think most of the time, the bottleneck. Also, they have to consider other supply systems, their internal users. What is the diversity, how many of them work on strictly SAP solutions, and what are the compatibility issues where you cannot be stuck with one product?

I think it's pretty much okay provided you can scale and then it depends on how technical the people are. So, we have two variants of it in SAP.

There is the SAP Analytics Cloud Discovery, which is just mainly for discovery analytics. You basically create SAP reports, nothing advanced. Then you have the Designer, which enables you to do a little bit more scripting and other advanced features. Depending on the end-user population, you can train down towards the pure basic reporting or really develop an application on it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Member of SAP Production Support Team at Maxicare Healthcare Corporation
    Expandable, reliable, and offers good storytelling capabilities
    • "It is scalable."
    • "The budget management could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the experimental stage. We are still using other business intelligence tools. However, we are experimenting with the SAP Analytics Cloud as a possible replacement or alternative.

What is most valuable?

The storytelling is great.

It is scalable.

The solution is reliable and stable.

What needs improvement?

Before the implementation, I read a lot about SAP Analytics Cloud. However, I am sad to say other functions or functionalities were not included in our version right now.

We are not using it regularly yet. Maybe more testing on our part is needed before talking about a lack of features.

As I use the SAP Analytics Cloud, I'm using only data, so I am grabbing data and putting it onto the SAP Analytics Cloud. Our boss wants to connect the data directly to the SAP database. That is one of the things they would like to do before we totally use it as our business intelligence solution.

The budget management could be better. I forget the exact term. However, the finance department will use the functionality for budget management across all the departments within the company.

There is a feature where all reports will be centralized in one, and it will be shown on one big monitor. If you put it on a monitor with touch capability, it would be perfect. It would really look good for reporting.

The predictive analysis should be stronger.

I started using the solution in 2020. However, I am not using it yet on a regular basis.

I tried it before implementation and based on my experience, that's why our company got licensed for the SAP Analytics Cloud.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn’t crash or freeze.

The product is scalable. So far, we’ve been happy with it. That said, said, we are in the stage of testing it right now. We are not yet entirely using it as our main DA.

I have not yet experienced technical support.

I’m not the one implementing it right now. Maybe our SAP basis team would have a better account of how the implementation went. I was more on the functional side. The technicality of setting it up is outside of my capabilities right now.

You only need a small team for deployment and maintenance.

We have consultants assisting us with the implementation.

The costs and licensing are outside my level of knowledge. I don’t deal with it directly.

That said, there may be additional costs involved. Some functionalities of the SAP Analytics Cloud are not yet included in our version.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users.

We are not using it in the cloud. We are in the on-premise platform at this moment. It’s a hybrid, currently.

I’m not sure which version of the solution we’re using.

My current job is in SAP production support, so I am the one handling incident reports or incident tickets and problem management for all the SAP-related tickets. I’m somewhere between a user and a consultant. I’m not a reseller.

I’d advise potential users that it's better to connect it directly to the database so that it will have data harmony from your ERP if you are using SAP as well as this SAP Analytics Cloud. That way, you can create reports and extract data anytime you like. Right now, we are just pulling data in SAP and then into the SAP database and putting it on SAP Analytics Cloud to create a story or a report itself.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten. This is mostly due to the business intelligence functionality only, as I have not yet really tried out the other functions.

Hybrid Cloud
    Head of Finance Enterprise Application at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A scalable and easy-to-use solution for visualizations
    • "The visualization feature is the most valuable. SAP Analytics Cloud is also very easy to use."
    • "The security, authorization, and live connection to the back-office system features can be improved. A business analyst colleague who creates complex financial management reports has mentioned that he wants to see more fact and visualization features. It would be helpful to have more visualization features to be able to prepare more stories or reports for executives. For example, Tableau has some visualization features that are not present in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for publishing financial reports.

What needs improvement?

A business analyst colleague who creates complex financial management reports has mentioned that he wants to see more fact and visualization features. It would be helpful to have more visualization features to be able to prepare more stories or reports for executives. For example, Tableau has some visualization features that are not present in this solution.

I have been using SAP Analytics Cloud for two years.

We experienced some upgrades and interruptions recently. I would say it has a 95% availability.

It is scalable. Agility and scalability are the benefits of the cloud solution. If I want to put 500 users tomorrow, I just simply add them. I don't have to worry about performance, service, memory, and all the other things.

We have between 50 to 100 users who are accessing SAP to see their reports. They need to see financial information. They might be viewing these reports on a weekly basis or a monthly basis.

We have created some tickets through our partner for some issues related to the maximum available fields, the number of lines to upload, or some restrictions related to the cloud. We get monthly upgrades on the cloud for functionality. In the next month's upgrade, thankfully, they will include the resolution of the problem. I would rate their technical support a seven out of ten.

We have used On-Premise BI, Webi business objects, SAP business objects, and Tableau. We moved to SAP because we recognize the value and advantage of SAP Cloud Analytics over other solutions.

The initial setup was simple. It took us a day to deploy it.

Initially, we started to use it ourselves for simple reports and simple uploads from Excel files. It took us less than a day to see a simple visualization of the report. In the next phase, it got more complicated in the sense that we implemented a single sign-on and live connection to the back-office systems. We had some SAP experts who helped us with what should be done.

It is not the most expensive one. You have to do the cost-of-ownership analysis and take a lot of things into consideration to come up with the conclusion that it is cheaper or not, but its price is reasonable. It provides value for money.

What other advice do I have?

SAP Analytics Cloud is an easy-to-use tool that can help you to analyze data. It also depends on the industry and what you want to use it for, but it is an easy tool.

Before start using it for advanced reports, I would suggest spending a month learning this tool well. Because it is so easy to use, when you start using it for doing complex things in the beginning, you might realize that you haven't done it the right way because you didn't have the training. Don't get too enthusiastic about the ease of use of SAP. Do get the training and learn how to make proper reports, how to appropriately use the models, how to connect to on-premise systems, and how to implement live connections. After that, start building complex reports and use it for productive work.

I would rate SAP Analytics Cloud an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Wonjae BAE - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Managing Director at dfocus
    Changed the culture of meetings for our client with data-driven management
    • "One of the most outstanding features is being able to use the dashboard with a touch screen."
    • "SAC, which is the cloud version, lost some good features from the previous planning product, like BPC or BPS."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for our client. We implemented the BI Analytics for the executive. SAP also works with the theater boardroom. There is another license policy, but there's more that's dedicated for the dashboard with the touch screen so they can use it for their executive meetings.

The solution is used on PC or mobile. It's deployed on a public SAP cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP Analytics Cloud changed the culture of meetings with data-driven management for our client. It modernized everything.

What is most valuable?

One of the most outstanding features is being able to use the dashboard with a touch screen. The other feature is nothing special compared with BusinessObjects, but it's a cloud version and they upgrade very often with the CI/CD way. They do it automatically because it's the service, it's not like download and installation. It's different from the other BI products and it has a planning feature.

What needs improvement?

In the beginning, we had a problem with stability but it's currently fine.

SAC, which is the cloud version, lost some good features from the previous planning product, like BPC or BPS.

I have been using this solution for more than three years.

It's stable.

The cloud version is automatically scalable.

Technical support is good.

Setup was straightforward.

Some of our clients are interested in moving to cloud-based IT. In that case, we can recommend SAP, but some clients still want to use the on-premise for security purposes and their policies. In that case, we cannot recommend SAC, but we do recommend BusinessObjects or another on-premise solution like Tableau.

The amount of time it takes to deploy depends on the requirements, but normally it takes three months for the reporting. Of course, they need to prepare their data before implementing the BI.

Normally, two or three people are needed for the BI implementation. If it contains planning as well, it's more than that because planning is more complex than actual implementation.

From our customers' experience, we know that they are satisfied with the ROI.

They need to collect the data and make reports, but it's just one solution. After logging in, they input their planning and then it can be aggregated automatically for the HQ users. That is very time saving and effort saving.

The price is competitive. There is a power user license and normal user license, but the normal user license is reasonable. The power user license is a bit expensive, but our client doesn't need to buy many user licenses for that.

Previously, we used BusinessObjects. That's the previous version of SAP, but it's been changed to SAC.

These days we are comparing the modern BI products, like Click, Tableau, and Microsoft Power BI. Those are the main competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

My advice is the same as BW/4HANA. For someone who wants to start using this solution, they need to refine their requirement in the beginning and analyze the available data and how it should be consumed in the dashboard or analytics. They need to design from the beginning. It can be just a sketch, but they need to think about it before they start implementing it.

Other
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner/Integrator
    Download our free SAP Analytics Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022