Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Maximo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Maximo is #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Asset Management tools and #2 ranked solution in top Billing Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Maximo an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. IBM Maximo is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: IBM Maximo vs ServiceNow. IBM Maximo is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Maximo?
Organizations of all sizes reduce equipment downtime, closely control and track maintenance expenses, cut spare parts inventories.

IBM Maximo was previously known as Maximo.

IBM Maximo Customers
Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V., DTE Energy, Swedish Match, Projetech, Fingrid, East Coast
IBM Maximo Video

Archived IBM Maximo Reviews (more than two years old)

Gaizka Elosegi - PeerSpot reviewer
IT and Product Manager at Sistpelant
A great solution for enhancing an asset's lifecycle
  • "We are very thankful to have IBM integrated with our own Legacy cloud-based system"
  • "You can get lost using the application"

What is our primary use case?

We developed our own manufacturing distribution system and management system. We also have experience with AI and machine learning. So, you can imagine, as a company with a manufacturing distribution system and with an asset management system in place, we are very thankful to have IBM integrated with our own Legacy, cloud-based system. We have big customers around the world and we integrate them with many solutions, including IBM Maximo.

We mostly integrate with anything manufacturing related, but we also work closely within administration and banking. So, we have to know these solutions, inside and out, in order to properly integrate them and keep our customers satisfied.

We use IBM Maximo to enhance an asset's lifecycle in an attempt to get the most out of it, but of course, it depends on what you're doing. If you run a bank, you're going to want to maintain certain assets. If you have an inductive environment, then your main assets will often be your greatest concern. So, it all depends on what you're going to use it for, but, at the end of the day, our primary use case is to enhance the lifecycle of the asset we're using.

By enhancing an asset's lifecycle, you're maintaining the term and reducing costs. You can control your work team, but you can't control their skill level; everything that is good revolves around the lifecycle of an element, even if we're talking in terms relating directly to economic gains.

What needs improvement?

IBM Maximo is similar to an ARP. Because it's so massive, you can easily get lost using the application. You need to focus on training the partners and channeling the structure in order to enhance the user experience for the final customers. Deploying IBM Maximo can be really exhausting because, as I mentioned earlier, it's as big as an ARP.

Most of the time, the people working in those environments (even if they don't know how to read data, etc) are trained to focus on maintaining elements and solutions. You cannot give them 25,000 screens with 25 teams and expect them to do everything, even if that would give you plenty of information for further analysis. We're talking about the best asset management solution in the world, so this needs to be taken into practice somehow.

I think the biggest problem is that the application is too big. The solution has plenty of different capabilities, but a lot of the time their partners are not capable enough when it comes to deploying it for their customers; they'll simply just deduce the best they need to. In terms of size, Maximo is a beast, a monster, it's not IBM's fault, I have nothing bad to say about them.

However, there are a few problems that are IBM's fault, but not directly their fault as the solutions are not deployed directly by IBM, they're deployed by the public network. In the end, the partners are the ones working with the final customer, the final customer is the one who inherits that lack of user experience. I think it's more of the partner's fault than IBM's.

Being able to talk to people and understand what they need and adapt their solution in terms of what they need would enhance IBM Maximo. Integrating software, such as Cortana and Google Now would also make the solution more intelligent and easy-to-use. I would also like to see an option to integrate with a new generation architectural modeling solution of your choice, as that would be a good way to enhance the personal experience. People today, are accustomed to seeing graphs and details, so that would go directly to the final user base — directly to the customer.

In regards to the difficulty of use, I think it would be beneficial to have a lightweight solution for smaller companies. Also, better material capabilities relating to prediction would be a good adjustment, because currently, Maximo controls both the corrective maintenance and preventative maintenance; they even control configuration-based maintenance with integration with larger systems, and management systems as well, but maybe they could even go further. The cloud could solve that issue, including any capability issues as well. To be clear, it's already included, but it should be integrated.

I have been using this solution since the creation of our company, even before the product was called IBM Maximo. We were familiar with it before IBM even purchased it. It was developed by another company, but currently, it's IBM's solution and they have been developing it for the past 25 years. So, we have been using this solution for at least 25 years.

In regards to the cloud, I believe there are some scalability issues, but I am not certain. In the end, you're paying for a private or public cloud, so most of the time the problems could be solved with more CPUs, more ram, more space, better connections, better vacancy, and so on. Again, it's not IBM's fault, this is just something that happens when you have a large application.

Eventually, those applications will form a need for everything: for communication, processing, moving, and to retire. So, there could be an issue there, but I am no certain. I don't have separate photographs in front of me depicting 300, 3,000 and 10,000 people using it so that I can evaluate the real output of the consumption and sources.

IBM Maximo
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM Maximo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Maximo an eight.

Manager OSS & System Admin at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Hosts a powerful database and integrates well with CMDB, but it is complex to set up and difficult to customize
  • "The most powerful features are the database and integration with CMDB."
  • "The interface is not very easy or user-friendly and is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Maximo as a service desk. It is primarily used for incident management but also covers service request management, asset management, and other areas.

What is most valuable?

The most powerful features are the database and integration with CMDB.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not very easy or user-friendly and is in need of improvement.

Compared to products like ServiceNow or Jira, it is very difficult to customize Maximo. For example, a layperson is able to customize ServiceNow or Jira to a certain degree, but that is not possible with IBM Maximo. The customizations are code-based and it requires a programmer to do the work.

The licensing model should be much simpler for an organization like us to add more end-users. As it is now, we have to keep looking back at the available licenses.

Maximo has been in use for more than a decade in our company.

This is a stable product.

The scalability is quite good. We have between 2,000 and 3,000 users in the company. Most of them are end-users, although there are a few administrators who can make changes.

The support is not bad because we have a local support team that is available around the clock. We have a local support contract with one of the service providers that offers complete support for a variety of products.

For cases that the local team is not able to handle, we can open up a ticket with the IBM product team and they respond accordingly. Ultimately, in any case, the support is fine.

The company has been using IBM Maximo since before I joined. My understanding is that they were using solutions by HP, including HP Service Desk. However, I do not know the specific reasons for the switch. All I have been told is that HP was more expensive at the time, but there could be other factors involved.

The initial setup is quite complex and it takes a long time. In particular, in our environment, we are using it quite extensively for event and incident management. These are core areas for us and it is a bit complex.

We are considering moving away from IBM Maximo to Jira. We have evaluated both Jira and ServiceNow, and the interfaces are GUI-based, making them easier to use and easier to customize. In general, they are much easier to change and adapt to the end-user requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

IBM Maximo
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Software Quality Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps in keeping track of and classifying our help desk requests, but the extensive data entry requirements dissuade its use
  • "The incident management feature is good because it allows you to keep track of and classify issues."
  • "I feel that the interface is a little too complicated with a large number of fields to enter."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is logging our help desk requests. It is essential for incident management and request management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I feel that the interface is a little too complicated with a large number of fields to enter. People don't want to enter a lot of information. Rather, they would like to enter the minimum amount of information required to get the work done. Making it more user-friendly may help in this regard.

I have been using IBM Maximo for about two years.

I feel that it is a stable solution.

I have not looked into scalability. Our network team would evaluate scalability if it became an issue. About 60 people are supposed to be using it, although because of the large amount of data entry, I think that many people are just not completing the task.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have been looking at Azure as a comparison and I feel that it is a little bit simpler to use.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Maximo is that it is very comprehensive, provided you like to fill in a lot of information. It collects a lot of data and a lot of analysis can be done. However, in our experience, we find that people don't want to do it. If they are grouping jobs then they don't want to enter a lot of information. In this case, entering the minimum is better.

This is the biggest problem that we are facing. There is a lot of work to do and following all of the processes and procedures is time-consuming because of the data entry.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

SamirKhodair - PeerSpot reviewer
Implemenation Specialist at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Work order management and scalability enables the businesses' needs to be met
  • "The Preventive Maintenance feature, especially in its inspection routines and KPI abilities, is valuable."
  • "Work order management and scalability enables the businesses' needs to be met."
  • "The standard reports that shipped with the package need to be enriched with more advanced reports, especially for the Inventory Management sections."

What is our primary use case?

We have fully used Maximo for maintenance and inventory and purchasing management to manage cement factory operations and maintenance for more than 11 years. We have implemented Maximo at seven sites and are still adding sites. All our sites are hosted in one environment using multi-organization and multi-site configurations. We integrate Maximo with a financial system (Navision), and we built dashboards on top of the Maximo database using its business intelligence tool. We have upgraded Maximo twice: once from 6.4 to 7.5, and more recently, from 7.5 to 7.6.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps the history of the transactions, so we can anticipate the asset behavior and costs in the future. It enables management to be able to tape the session.

Maximo has been suitable for businesses as it expands and shrinks according to market needs and operational conditions.

What is most valuable?

• The Preventive Maintenance feature, especially in its inspection routines and KPI abilities, is valuable.
  • Work order management and scalability enables the businesses' needs to be met.
  • Maximo is easy to learn.

More than five years.

Stability is good. We moved to the cloud with no issues.

Maximo's scalability enabled us to extend its usage from one site to be used in multiple sites with little configuration. This also enabled us to benchmark performance, manage inventory levels, inherit reports, and manage process and configuration on old and new sites.

I have my own in-house team who do technical support.

We did not use a solution prior to IBM Maximo.

The initial setup is easy, but I would recommend setting it up at a low level and maturing the solution over time.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Capabilities
  • Support
  • Reliability
  • How will it help the organization's decision-making.
  • Running costs and starting costs.
Paul Heath - PeerSpot reviewer
IBM Maximo Control Desk Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable and integrated in a single database but needs better dashboards for KPIs
  • "Reliable, very configurable, and it's all integrated in the same database."
  • "It's not user-friendly. It could use shortcuts for frequently requested services."
  • "Areas for improvement include: an enhanced Service Catalog on Mobile; Agent intelligence; better dashboards for KPIs."
  • "It needs full-service visibility. There are a lot of things that are hard for users to find out. For example, the Service Catalog is not too friendly. You really have to know what you're looking for."
  • "It's quite reliable, but new versions often are not too stable. They bring in enhancements but they break other stuff."

What is our primary use case?

The main use is help desk. But we also use it for asset management, catalog offering, and CNDB.

How has it helped my organization?

It's much more reliable, it's much more configurable.

What is most valuable?

It's reliable, and it's all integrated in the same database.

What needs improvement?

It's actually a little too much for what we need. It could be good but there are too many conflicts and it's not user-friendly. It could use shortcuts for frequently requested services.

Other areas for improvement include:

• Enhanced Service Catalog on Mobile
  • Agent intelligence
  • Better dashboards for KPIs
  • Full-service visibility - There are a lot of things that are hard for users to find out. For example, the Service Catalog is not too friendly. You really have to know what you're looking for.

More than five years.

It's quite reliable, but new versions often are not too stable. They bring in enhancements but they break other stuff. We're okay with it but it could be better.

Scalability is very good. It's easily scalable.

We have often set up PMRs and their support is quite good. We have issues that have reappeared in other releases, and things that aren't really supposed to be happening like that. We migrated to a different version, one thing was solved but then a new issue appeared, related to the same module.

They give good service, but they could be a little more reliable in terms of solving defects and having it work as it should.

We used an old Lotus Notes solution that we implemented ourselves and then we migrated to Maximo. Now, our main client doesn't really like the way Maximo works, at least for them. So that's making us into a new solution.

In terms of selecting a vendor, I don't do the selection. I just evaluate the functional and technical aspects. Regarding pricing and things like that, I'm not the one that will decide. My main concern is that it does what it's supposed to do, does it well, and that the client likes it.

The initial setup was complex but that was 10 years ago. It might have changed since then.

The options we are now considering are JIRA and ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

They have a preview site where you can log in as a user and try it for yourself. That is a really good way to get a feel for the solution; better than Youtube or whitepapers and things like that. You have a preview site, you log in, and you can try it.

I would give Maximo a seven out of 10 because it's good, but it's not too user-friendly, and some of the issues we have come across, the impact to us was a little too much to be coming from a big company such as IBM.

Lider De Proyecto/Lider Funcional at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Its capabilities let us organize our work
  • "We can manage, organize, and track incidents, claims, jobs, tasks, preventive and corrective maintenance, locations, and assets."
  • "​Maximo is very stable. We really do not have problem with stability.​"
  • "We were able to scale perfectly.​"
  • "Its capabilities let us organize our work."
  • "The mobile solution has a lot of room for improvement, especially in geopositioning capabilities, tracking capabilities, and configuration capabilities, in order to let the tech operate online and offline.​"
  • "​Maximo is a big system, so the initial setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

It is a software specialized in asset management, but nowadays, it is more than this.

How has it helped my organization?

With Maximo, we can manage, organize, and track incidents, claims, jobs, tasks, preventive and corrective maintenance, locations, and assets. Also, we can correlate all these items in order to obtain reports, such as how many incidents per locations, when was the last preventive maintenance in a location, who was the technician that did the job, or what was the spare part that he used, etc.

What is most valuable?

The main feature of Maximo is the capabilities of recording, tracking, and correlating. These are important items in the management of a company. These capabilities let us organize our work.

Three to five years.

Maximo is very stable. We really do not have problem with stability.

We were able to scale perfectly.

Technical support is a seven on scale of one to 10.

We did not have a previous solution.

Maximo is a big system, so the initial setup is complex. I would recommend that you implement it in parts according with your most important processes.

Explore internal processes in order to evaluate the correct number of users in each Maximo module, then evaluate the different offers of pricing and licensing.

I did not participate in the evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendations:

• Before starting, review your internal processes. It is a good opportunity to update them.
  • Explore Maximo's add-ons. There are a lot specialized, different industries.
  • Implement Maximo in parts.
Samir Khodair - PeerSpot reviewer
Maximo Specialist implemenation at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives us control over inventory levels reducing them greatly, but maintenance KPIs need work
  • "Preventive maintenance management."
  • "Vendor management needs enhancement."

How has it helped my organization?

When we integrated the Maximo DB with the BI tool, we were able to track and manage the inventory levels in much more controllable way, and reduced the inventory levels significantly within one year.

What is most valuable?

• Preventive maintenance management
  • Maintenance management

What needs improvement?

1. Inventory management, especially:

• item cards – I need to be able to track item balance and history back to a given date
  • inventory financial reports need a lot of enhancement
  • consignment stock management has an issue – raised with the vendor
  • reorder process and define reorder levels
  • inventory lead time recommendation, according to transaction history

2. Purchasing management

• Vendor management needs enhancement

3. Maintenance KPIs like OOE , Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF), Mean Time To Repair (MTTR) need more enhancement

4. Operating budget management (recently added in version 7.6 ) but it is late in coming.

More than five years.

Sometimes I have had issues with with the web server which we use (IBM WebSphere) but we solved it.

No issues, this software is very efficient regarding scalability.

I would give it an eight out of 10.

The data gathering and data engineering were complex, but once they are done the remaining steps were straightforward.

The concurrent user license is much more effective in management and cost-wise, as it is more suitable for maintenance management.

I was not involved in this process at my current company.

What other advice do I have?

1. Defining your business processes is vital for the success of this product.
  2. End-user training should be implemented according to your processes.
  3. Using Agile methodology fits well with this product, to ensure fast response to business changes.
it_user786771 - PeerSpot reviewer
Space Coast Information Systems, Maximo Consulting and Support
Enables us to organize, track all routine tasks, and report status to management
  • "The large range of configurability of the product is great, since everyone has a different way of doing things."
  • "Revision management of file attachments."

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to organize, track, and report on all of the jobs/tasks/routine work/preventive maintenance that we perform daily, and report to management the status of these activities at any time.

What is most valuable?

The large range of configurability of the product is great, since everyone has a different way of doing things. I also like the interface mechanisms built into the tool. With these, we can talk to just about any external system.

What needs improvement?

Revision management of file attachments.

More than five years.

The product is very stable (when configured properly).

The product scales very very well.

Seven out of 10. There are lots of consultants and third-party developers that can help with this product. IBM is not the only choice.

(By the way, in my opinion nothing is perfect).

We used a home-grown solution. We wanted to take advantage of advances in technology without having to build out or enhance our home-grown solution, so we switched.

This depends the ROI you expect. I recommend you implement the most important functions and then add capabilities as you get more familiar with the product.

Explore the possibility of using DB2. You will avoid the cost of SQL Server or Oracle licenses.

MP2, SAP.

What other advice do I have?

There are add-ons for calibration, scheduler, transportation, service provider, government, oil and gas, asset management configuration, and linear assets.

It is a very solid J2EE product with great middleware and webserver; scales very well, and can use one of three RDBMS systems.

Refine your maintenance processes, do not skimp on hardware.

Wayde Prejean - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager IC-Operations, Maximo Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Provides warning of upcoming compliance activities and enables us to report on exceptions
  • "It is configurable, where you can add extra fields to screens and to the database."
  • "Although you can create notifications with Maximo, the configuration and options could be improved."

How has it helped my organization?

Particularly related to compliance management, Maximo has been configured to provide a warning of compliance activities coming up and enables us to report on exceptions.

What is most valuable?

Maximo is a platform where apps can be created to support special processes. It is configurable, where you can add extra fields to screens and to the database.

With that said, our biggest use of Maximo focuses on work and compliance management, and we have configured Maximo to help us manage our compliance activities. In addition, some pockets of the company utilize Maximo for managing work, failures, inventory, etc. beyond just compliance.

More than five years.

Overall, we have had no major stability issues with Maximo.

We do much of our support internally, but we have found that IBM technical support, when needed, has provided us with answers or identified whether the issue would be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Part of our company has used Maximo for about 20 years. The other part utilized Infor EAM but switched to Maximo due to more internal resources with Maximo experience, and because the Maximo implementation had been recently upgraded and improved.

Maximo is an enterprise system, so the initial setup is typically fairly complex.  You will want to include some consultant resource hours in the initial purchase of licenses to aid your IT staff in the initial installation, and to help make some of the hardware and software decisions.

Get an understanding of the intended usage at your company, and look at both the named user and concurrent-license pricing to make a determination which makes more sense for your usage.  Where available, concurrent licenses can be more cost efficient and provide more flexibility.

The original decision was many years ago, so the options were different then than they are today. About four years ago, we compared Infor EAM (which was previously implemented in another part of the company) to Maximo and decided to keep Maximo and convert Infor EAM users to Maximo.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10. If it's not the best EAM product, it is one of the best out there.

Make sure that you understand your work/asset management and other processes before trying to implement. Where possible, the product should be configured to fit within your processes, trying to avoid changes to the system that will make it hard to upgrade/update, as IBM provides frequent patches and updates.

Lonnie Stone - PeerSpot reviewer
The InTechrity Group
A worldwide enterprise app which can scale easily
  • "The ability to configure and integrate it with other solutions for ERP."
  • "The initial setup was complex, because it is a complex product."

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • The ability to configure and integrate it with other solutions for ERP.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows my clients to manage and maintain assets to save costs and keep safety a high priority while maximizing production time.

What needs improvement?

Industry specific solutions are always a game changer.

More than five years.

It gets more stable with every release.

Maximo is made to be a worldwide enterprise app and can scale easily.

IBM has great support.

The initial setup was complex, because it is a complex product.

You pay for what you get. There are lots of options depending on how you would like to implement Maximo.

What other advice do I have?

Plan out the implementation and involve all levels from users to management.

I have used versions 4 through the most current version 7.6, and it keeps getting better. I have been working with Maximo for twelve years. This is the Cadillac of asset management applications.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Business partner.