Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Maximo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Maximo is #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Asset Management tools and #2 ranked solution in top Billing Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Maximo an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. IBM Maximo is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: IBM Maximo vs ServiceNow. IBM Maximo is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Maximo?
Organizations of all sizes reduce equipment downtime, closely control and track maintenance expenses, cut spare parts inventories.

IBM Maximo was previously known as Maximo.

IBM Maximo Customers
Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V., DTE Energy, Swedish Match, Projetech, Fingrid, East Coast
IBM Maximo Video

IBM Maximo Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Maximo pricing:
  • "IBM has changed the licensing policy. As I understand now, they are going from a complex way of licensing to a more simple way of licensing."
  • "IBM Maximo offers a licensing application, and you have to comply with the license."
  • "I do not know about the price of the solution. However, this has been an expensive project overall."
  • "The price of IBM Maximo could reduce, it is expensive."
  • IBM Maximo Reviews

Chris Lok - PeerSpot reviewer
    COO / Developer at MaxLogic
    A rare enterprise asset management system with good ROI and helpful technical support
    • "There are not many enterprise asset management systems on the market and not many that have the categories that IBM Maximo has."
    • "IBM is a big company and they have a lot of products. Level One, the first level of tech support, is the one that is used to stop the tsunami. For everyone, it's always work to get past that."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it for various use cases, but most of them are around either service activation or asset management.

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of our clients use or have used, or are part of businesses that have used Maximo for over an average of around 15 to 20 years.

It's the big capital assets that are managed by the software. A lot of it is in the oil and gas utilities, however, it is also in more service-orientated organizations such as airports, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

There are not many enterprise asset management systems on the market and not many that have the categories that IBM Maximo has. It's a platform that has been here for about 30 years. Currently, the shift to having the ability for customers within the space to move from a legacy structure into a more modern microservice structure that's on the cloud is quite valuable. It gives clients a good journey map to a modern hybrid cloud infrastructure or a little more cloud infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The solution is expensive and is quite difficult within this space. There's a lot of non-enterprise level asset management systems out there are able that are less expensive.  We're doing it for a hundred dollars per user, per month. With IBM Maximo and especially now Application Suite, that's a bit more difficult as it's grown beyond just asset management. It's now more of an asset performance management system. It's fallen a bit into a different category and has the ability for users to utilize more modern machine learning algorithms, AI-based algorithms on their asset data. From a pricing structured perspective, the list prices are out there. However, if you find the right integrator, then the list prices go down quite a bit.

I've got a pretty good view of the roadmap for the next three years. For us, it looks really exciting. It took IBM a while to get their act together and to merge the new paradigm from Kubernetes, et cetera. There were deployment methods in their Maximo roadmap. From what I can see things like visual inspection, machine learning-based image recognition, et cetera, are all quite exciting spaces and it's quite leading edge. We went a bit from being a glorified works management system, with a lot of capabilities, however, it was quite legacy orientated as in, based on older technology.

I'm in a technology that has been around for 20 years. We're now moving into a stage where it's more bleeding edge. Using all the passwords is now applicable. It's quite a transformation that's happening now. I couldn't really say that I'm missing this or that. The only thing I'd say, and this is coming from a technical person, is that I hope that the change management needed to modify the system is better suited to the customer's needs. It's not allowing us to use the development pipelines and things like that.

IBM Maximo
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about IBM Maximo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is very dependent on your integrator. They can mess things up. We have actually quite a good track record on our managed instances. The one that has been up the longest is eight months or something and has been running without any issue. Basically, it is very stable if it is administered properly.

We run anything from two users to 6,000 users. One of the benefits is that it's very scalable.

We do anything from a small to medium-sized business to global mobiles. The largest logistics company is one of our clients. The largest facilities management company in the world is one of our clients. So is the biggest power plant in the UK. It can work for a managed building around the corner to something with a worldwide reach.

Clients do plan to increase usage. That mostly comes with the new capabilities that are now emerging in the new versions of the product. The use cases are shifting from the asset management system to be an asset performance management system.

IBM is a big company and they have a lot of products. Level One, the first level of tech support, is the one that is used to stop the tsunami. For everyone, it's always a bit of work to get past that. After you do, they're excellent.

That's primarily due to IBM itself as they do so much and they have so many products that the first level at these big companies can be difficult to move up from. We have the same issue with Microsoft, for instance.

We actually switched over quite a few customers from the more niche Focus Asset Management systems. They seem to be disappearing a bit as well as, for example, SAP, which I personally can't really say why as I'm a bit biased.

I'd say it either fits really well for those customers, whatever they're using now, or they are looking for a more APM-focused suite and there's not that many out there really.

For the average user, IBM Maximo comes in a few flavors. The first one is SAS, in which everything is installed for you. That's really simple. You can get it all from IBM's website or from an integrator like us. Then, there's the flash structure where it's more platform as a service. That gives you more ability to modify. Then, you have the infrastructure at the service site, which gets complex. At the same time, I'd say that's the point where usually businesses come to a business like us to actually deal with it.

You can't compare Maximo software, or SAP software or Zendesk, as in, I get a subscription to Zendesk and it runs. Of course, when the processes are supported by Zendesk, you can't really compare it to maintaining a capital asset. Software like SAP Access Management or Maximo gets placed right next to Joe Fix It. However, it's a different ballpark product. Maximo will probably be an expensive solution for a lot of companies. For other companies. They actually use that additional capability. In that case, it's not that expensive.

On average, our clients are up and running within days. That's including their business process integrated into the system. That's a custom deployment. We do it usually with one or two personnel.

Even if we don't look at the full software and we look at smaller use cases within the software, the ROI is often quite substantial. It is driven, of course, however, it's quite easy. A lot of these businesses have fairly inefficient processes. If they're coming from ten people that have their own Excel and you go to a unified system, it is quite easy to make big steps on the road.

It saves a lot of time and resources. Just to give you an example, on our recent project, we were able to reduce their accounts payable staff by 50%. Those people still work there, however, they're in other things. It illustrates what we were able to do.

You have the licensing fee and then you have a yearly service subscription with IBM. That gives you access to the newest version of the software and support services. There's no additional cost to that.

What other advice do I have?

We're a system integrator. We use IBM Maximo every day and we implement it as well.

Whether it's hosted on cloud or on-premises depends on the client. We host it within our own staff host service and we also have on-premise clients. The larger clients often are on-premise.

I'd advise potential new users to get a good integrator. I don't say, come to us, however, get a good integrator that works as a partner. Within this segment, one of the things that people often get wrong is that they think they only need to integrate it for the implementation project. However, get a good integrator that works as a partner and keeps focused on your business needs.

Often we see integrators that are only focused on getting the project done, getting it signed off, and getting their bills paid and they don't really care about what they leave behind and neither does the customer themselves. Everyone is just trying to get their project done.
    That's where enterprise software fails in general. That type of implementation will cost you a lot of money.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Computer System Engineer at Informatika d.d.
    Centralized solution that also has connections with external applications
    • "The most valuable features are the ability to create work orders and preventative maintenance."
    • "Initial setup is a longer process because Maximo is bigger and has more processes."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is for managing electrical company assets. The solution is deployed on-premise.

How has it helped my organization?

It's probably improved by a lot because previously they had a different kind of product. It was okay, but it was based on the old technology and wasn't as centralized as Maximo. Maximo also has connections with external applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Maximo is quite a big product, so maybe we don't even know everything that is possible. I see the presentations of new things to come, and I don't see a concern. Whatever a customer needs is pretty much covered.

I have been using this solution for 8 years. The first week of implementation, it was ControlDesk, but then we started with Maximo also. It's the same.

Maximo is stable. There aren't any system performance issues, but in every organization there has to be some because of integrations with different tools and applications. Maximo doesn't crash, but if it does, it's mostly because of integrations or issues with integrations.

The solution is scalable. Altogether, there are about 3,000 people using the solution.

Right now, the solution is being used extensively, but we are expanding usage. We are expanding the applications that we were using at the beginning. So every time we are working with them, let's say the tickets that come into the ControlDesk, part of them are daily issues and some are quick resolve, but part of them are also changes for processes, implementations, and projects like this. The tool is evolving and the processes are evolving and adding up.

Technical support is from IBM.

Before using Maximo, we used our in-house product. At the time, our customers decided to go onto another platform with different tools, so we had to do the migration.

It's pretty much the same as ControlDesk, but maybe a little bit easier, even though it's a bigger tool. From the installation point of view, it's a little bit simpler.

It's a longer process because Maximo is bigger and has more processes. I think it was a year-long project.

A lot of people are needed for maintenance because it's a bigger solution that has more implementations and a lot of configurations. You need at least 10 people for maintenance. We have more implementations of Maximo, which is why we need so many people. If we had only one implementation, then maybe we would need fewer people.

In the beginning, there was an external company that did pretty much everything, but now it's like a share. We do more than 80% and we just need their support for the harder or difficult types of implementation.

The license structure is quite different here, but now it's changing. We are planning to change the model in January 2022 because IBM has changed the licensing policy. As I understand now, they are going from a complex way of licensing to a more simple way of licensing.

IBM hasn't rebranded, but they changed the licensing policy. There are different types of licenses for different types of users. For the different kinds of models they're using in Maximo, they would need to have a certain type of license. Now they have application points. If you are using this module in Maximo, you need to have three points. If you are using this type of product, you need to have four points. It's more simple.

The company also evaluated SAP.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

It's a good tool for what it was built for. For what it represents and what it gives you, it is a very powerful tool.

IBM Maximo
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Maximo - Technical Consultant/Architect/Analyst at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    Excellent technical support, easy to setup, write code and simple to customize
    • "IBM Maximo is the best software for assets management."
    • "There are always ways to improve and make things better."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I make use of everything. I was a consultant, and I worked for a variety of companies who were asking for different things to be done, and I did everything, for them. I can't say that there is something, that I didn't do. I was also traveling to the US, and working for IBM in the US.

What is most valuable?

IBM Maximo is the best software for assets management.

What needs improvement?

There are always ways to improve and make things better. It is what I've grown accustomed to. I am taking advantage of everything Maximo has to offer. I'm making use of whatever I can, and if I need to do anything else, I write a custom code.

Every company has specific needs, and you can't generalize for everyone. That is how my work is. I'm working specifically for the company, and when they require something else in addition, that is when I do the customization. Sometimes it could be a Java class, other times it could be an automation script, and it could be just the configuration, it just depends.

My experience with IBM Maximo has been since 2004. I have been familiar with this solution for approximately 17 years.

I always work with the latest version of this solution, as well as WebSphere.

IBM Maximo is the most stable solution that I have ever seen.

I didn't have to deal with technical support. As a consultant, what I was doing was notifying the user that I was working for, sending the description, what log files and description I was sending, and giving them. They were also dealing with technical support. I don't believe they ever had a problem with IBM's technical support.

Everything was fine, but as I was gathering information and delivering it to them. I would always advise them and say, "Okay, this is not something for the first and second levels. It is the third level. You must proceed to the third level, to some developer, and inform him that something is wrong." And, in most cases, they return to resolve the problem. I actually had a conversation with IBM US tech support once. At the time, I was working for an American company with a Canadian office. And, yes, it was fantastic.

I'm mostly using WebSphere. I also use Web Logic at times. I can set up Web Logic for Maximo. It's the same for me. I always use the advanced configuration.

Maximo is an application, and if you want to have it on the web, you need to run it through a web server. WebSphere is a web server, and also an IBM product.

When you purchase Maximo, you get WebSphere for free.

In terms of the initial setup, I have seen some other guys, and what they're doing is not straightforward for them, but everything is straightforward for me. I know exactly, what I am doing.

Everything you need can be found in IBM's documentation on their website.

I didn't get involved with the pricing. I don't know the prices, or how it works. I know how to use licenses in Maximo and check the licenses to ensure that we have not gone over, but I did this for every company for which I worked.

IBM Maximo offers a licensing application, and you have to comply with the license. Otherwise, I have no idea about prices or anything else. I'm not sure how much it costs. I'm not the one looking for prices. I know the software is good, and when something is good, I believe you should pay what it costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Maximo a ten out of ten.

Shaina Sharma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Leaderboard
    Effective process automation, plenty of functionality, but stability could improve
    • "We were doing all kinds of paperwork for every type of order and to maintain our assets but with the use of the IBM Maximo application, we can automate a lot of the processes."
    • "The solution is not stable. We can have one day when it is stable and another day it is not. Sometimes it crashes or becomes very slow, and there are times we are not even able to download all the databases. Without the database, we cannot work on that application. These are the small glitches, and stability issues we are facing."

How has it helped my organization?

In one a period of one year, we receive lots of work orders. There were lots of paperwork by end of the year. With IBM Maximo we are able to have everything on the computer. If we want to see what kind of service we have done on our assets we only need to go to the Maximo and we can see all the history in front of us. Earlier, everything was on paper, and it was too hard to find out what kind of services and what we did in the past.

What is most valuable?

We were doing all kinds of paperwork for every type of order and to maintain our assets but with the use of the IBM Maximo application, we can automate a lot of the processes.

IBM Maximo is a large piece of software that has lots of functionality. I have not even used it to its full potential.

I have used IBM Maximo within the last 12 months.

The solution is easy to scale, I did not find it not very difficult.

There will be 1,500 people using this solution.

The implementation process is complex. The region has implemented one solution to all nine divisions. It was a global solution to all their problems. When integrating all the legacy systems with IBM Maximo is when the complexity began.

We started the implementation process in 2013 and we are in 2021, it has taken us eight years for the whole process. Next week we are going live and next year we are going to be deploying the project.

The implementation was done by a large team. There are a few stakeholders and users working with us, approximately, nine divisions. We have approximately 20 people from those nine different divisions and our team is another 30 people. Additionally, there are the third-party legacy system team and different directors from different stakeholders. There is a large number of people involved.

The maintenance team will include less than ten individuals and will be assembled soon.

What other advice do I have?

We are planning on receiving an extended or advanced version of IBM Maximo.

It's a nice product and I think it is going to add a lot of value to the region because now they can see all the history. Moreover, they're going to get an automated process.

I recommend IBM Maximo to others.

I rate IBM Maximo a seven out of ten. However, I have never worked on any of the competitive products of IBM Maximo.

AnilBhagwatsaran - PeerSpot reviewer
    Application Specialist at Blue Waters
    Useful modules, robust, and good support
    • "The most valuable features of IBM Maximo are the overall power and interface, and there are a lot of different modules that we use that are helpful. Additionally, it's an integrated solution and it has a lot of capabilities."
    • "IBM Maximo can improve the financial support and financial application, to make it more similar to an ERP as opposed to an EAM. Overall they can improve the financial processes."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Maximo is used across the organization for purchasing inventory service management.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM Maximo has improved our organization because we have been able to reduce printed paper by using the application. We have handheld devices and the information being sent is via email saving us money.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of IBM Maximo are the overall power and interface, and there are a lot of different modules that we use that are helpful. Additionally, it's an integrated solution and it has a lot of capabilities.

What needs improvement?

I have been using IBM Maximo for approximately 10 years.

IBM Maximo is stable.

The scalability of IBM Maximo is good.

We have approximately 20 users using this solution. The users that use the solution are typically purchasing officers, inventory officers, and managers.

We have plans to increase the usage of IBM Maximo.

The IBM technical support is very good.

I rate the support from IBM Maximo a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did not use another solution in this category, we only used IBM Maximo.

The initial setup of IBM Maximo is complex to install and set up. It requires expert knowledge. The full implementation took approximately four months.

I rate the initial setup of IBM Maximo a four out of five.

We have a team of two engineers and two support persons that does the implementation of IBM Maximo with the help of the vendor.

We have not evaluated the ROI of IBM Maximo at this time.

The price of IBM Maximo could reduce, it is expensive.

Upgrading is not covered in the annual support, it is an additional cost.

I rate the price of IBM Maximo a four out of five.

We evaluated other solutions before choosing IBM Maximo, such as Microsoft Dynamics.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they need to have someone who's an expert assist them with the implementation. They cannot do it alone. If they're not familiar with the solution, they need to have an implementation specialist in IBM Maximo.

I rate IBM Maximo a nine out of ten.

I rated the solution a nine because it's easy to use and very powerful. It has a lot of features and capabilities, and it's easy to configure.

Director of Channel Parnterships at a security firm with 1-10 employees
    All-in-one assent management tool with top enterprise functionality
    • "They have a real strength of tracking the asset itself along with the condition of the asset, the maintenance of the asset and who has access to the asset, etc."
    • "Could use some alignment regarding some standards and the tracking of the IT assets. Even though they have all of the information (i.e. where are the assets, who owns the asset, etc.), they were not mapping it to different cyber standards."

What is our primary use case?

This is a broad tool with many functionalities (i.e. tracking, enterprise asset management, etc.). I am looking at it from a government contractor's point of view allowing them to become compliant with the CMM. This is a standard based on the NIST 800-171, which is about protecting sensitive information.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to sell their software to track the daily maintenance of space shuttles.

What is most valuable?

They have a real strength of tracking the asset itself along with the condition of the asset, the maintenance of the asset and who has access to the asset, etc.

What needs improvement?

It could use some alignment regarding some standards and the tracking of the IT assets. Even though they have all of the information (i.e. where are the assets, who owns the asset, etc.), they were not mapping it to different cyber standards.

I have been using this solution for nearly twenty years.

From my experience it is very stable.

The solution is scalable.

I did not utilize their support.

Setup is as easy as possible for this complex system, it really depends on
    what level of fidelity you want to have it. For example, we put the system in to track the maintenance of US space shuttles. Here, we were tracking anybody that touched it, or anybody that was near it in addition to the condition of any level of detail, of any part of that asset in the supply chain.

Level of maintenance required varies by project size.

Pricing is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

Find people that know how to use it and have experience with it. Learn how to integrate other products, other third-party applications into it. Like any other product, you want to find people that have experience using it and know how to push it beyond what they do. There are all kinds of add-ons to it.

I would rate this an eight out of ten.

Sr. I.T Architect Specialist with 1-10 employees
    Simple scalability, effective management features, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

I use IBM Maximo for work and asset management.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM Maximo has increased our efficiency by 65%.

What is most valuable?

I have found Work Order management the most valuable feature. Additionally, it is a very robust and powerful solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution could improve by integrating or embedding finances, charts of accounts, and invoicing.

I have been using IBM Maximo for approximately 20 years.

IBM Maximo is stable.

The scalability of IBM Maximo is easy.

We have approximately 2,000 administrators and supervisors using this solution.

We are extensively using this solution, it is across our whole company.

The technical support is excellent. IBM provides very good support.

I have used solutions previously. However, this solution has many more features.

The initial setup is sometimes complex and other times not. IBM Maximo requires deep knowledge of the product and the platform to do the configuration. It's not straightforward for somebody who is not knowledgeable in IT.

The deployment can take three to six months.

We have approximately five developers, administrators, reporters, and integrators that support this solution.

Within three years you can recover the costs of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Maximo an eight out of ten.

Khaled Handousa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business analyst for PMIS at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Great solution for asset management

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is asset management maintenance as well as asset management overall.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement would be the user interface and support for Arabic. They could also be more customer-oriented.

I've been using this solution for four months.

This solution is stable, we have had no problems with it.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took between nine and twelve months to complete.

The on-premise license does not need to be renewed, only the EMC, which is 5-8% on the contract value.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good enterprise solution but check before implementing if you require a solution of this size. I would give this solution a score of nine out of ten.