Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is the #2 ranked solution in top Frame-Based Disk Arrays and #4 ranked solution in top Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) tools. PeerSpot users give Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is most commonly compared to IBM FlashSystem: Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series vs IBM FlashSystem. Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series?

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform Gx00 Series delivers advanced, active flash tiering that analyzes data streams in real time and moves data from disk to flash to meet demanding performance SLAs with a cost-effective mix of flash and disk.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series was previously known as Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G1500.

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Customers

M&S, Coop Group, Kufstein Hospital, Sichuan Local Taxation Bureau, Wuxi Municipal Bureau

Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Video

Archived Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Reviews (more than two years old)

Storage Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, the software offerings are solid, and the active-active option works well
  • "The active-active option seemed to be working well and overall, it was a solid product."
  • "It seemed like every time we turned around it was a statement of work and we'd have to pay for something that our previous vendors would not have billed us for."

What is our primary use case?

This product was used to store all of our production block requirements. We are now migrating to an all-flash storage system.

What is most valuable?

It performed well and the software offerings were solid.

What needs improvement?

We had issues with support, rather than the product itself. It seemed like every time we turned around it was a statement of work and we'd have to pay for something that our previous vendors would not have billed us for. I don't think that they would have even raised an eyebrow. By contrast, these guys were looking for money every time we asked for any little thing. We didn't like that.

We had been working with the G series for about six years.

Modular SAN (Storage Area Network)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM and others in Modular SAN (Storage Area Network). Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is great. It's right up there with anything else that we had seen, so no issues. It was a solid product.

We did not try to scale because our models were bought at full capability on day one.

We had a lot of issues with support and I would rate them a five out of ten in that aspect.

We have experience and history with several Dell EMC products including the BNX line, BMX,  and PowerMax. However, we are moving away from this to the HP all-flash solution.

The only reason we changed from the Hitachi Platform G is that it was getting long in the tooth, and we wanted to get into the flash environment.

The initial setup was straightforward and we didn't have any issues.

The costs were primarily in line with every other vendor at the time. Year six and year seven maintenance took a drastic jump, which didn't sit well with us. However, at the time, it seemed to be what most of the vendors were doing. But by the end, Hitachi had sort of balanced it out, so it wasn't a huge jump in years six and seven. It was certainly an issue for us in the beginning.

We went through an RFP-type process to select a flash vendor, and we're just in the process of implementing that storage today. It was this same sort of process six years ago when we replaced our existing Dell EMC solution with the Hitachi product. Hitachi had a better offering.

What other advice do I have?

I can't say anything about the product itself that was in need of improvement. The areas where we had issues were more along the lines with support and HDS management. For anybody who is interested in this solution, I would say that from a product standpoint, it is fine. The only problem is the support. Anytime we needed support, it was delayed. I'm not sure of the reason for this, but it just seemed like it took a long time to get things resolved.

At the time we did our RFP, HDS did not have an all-flash offering. They do now, but I haven't had the opportunity to look at their all-flash products. Hopefully, it is not just all-flash thrown into a G 1500 Series because you want to build flash from the ground up.

What we found during our recent RFP was that the pricing is pretty close between all-flash and HDD, so while not everybody needs the performance, if you're getting it for the same price then why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Dragoslav Milosevic - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at S&T Crna Gora d.o.o.
A solid product for high-performance data storage and utilization
  • "The product has great data storage performance with a 100% data security and availability guarantee."
  • "The pricing is high, but the product is good. Additional features like data duplication might make it even better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case in our company is as a reseller of the product. We don't have any Hitachi equipment solutions ourselves for production. We sell storage equipment to clients.

Popular usage for our clients is for email storage in telecall centers and for high-performance data storage and utilization.

What needs improvement?

I don't really know what parts of the product could be improved because it works well for me in testing and installations as a reseller. I would need more experience with it as a storage solution. However, I have not heard customers complaining.

One thing that can be improved is the price because it is a bit expensive. It would be easier to market and for clients to buy if the licensing were not so costly. It is not really a feature of the product but it is something that can be better.

The only feature I can think of is that it would be nice if it had data a duplication feature as an option. We have to use other products for this.

We have been using the solution for about three years.

The stability is really very good. The clients never complain of downtime.

The scalability is good. We did have an incident with a client who needed more storage space on a G400 but they had run out of opportunities on their unit. The client felt that the limitation on the number of disk enclosures was not enough and should have more capacity. As far as scalability it may be better if it were either possible to expand the capacity or provide additional capacity initially with the device.

We have only three customers but some have several of the storage systems and use them for different purposes. There would usually be no problem in providing them with scaling except for cost.

The technical support is very good and responds with expertise quickly.

We worked with HP products before switching to Hitachi. The Hitachi product had everything we needed for our customer demands and we think it is a better solution.

The installation of the product is very straightforward. It is very easy. I stay busy while I am installing the VSP (Virtual Storage Platform) and Storage Advisor for infrastructure management. Both of these parts of the installation make for busy work but it is not hard.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people considering this solution is that it is a very good product. It has very good stability, it is easy to use, it has a 100% data security and availability guarantee. It is a very, very good solution manufactured by a good company.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate these products as a ten because they do what we need them to without fail. For us they are perfect.

Modular SAN (Storage Area Network)
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Customer Service Engineer at DP IRAN
A user-friendly solution that offers good stability
  • "The solution is very user-friendly in terms of maintenance and configuration. It's also possible to connect the solution to other storage management solutions."
  • "The initial setup was difficult, as we don't have access to assistance. We had some issues around configuration. We needed to know things like what kind of rate is the best, or what kind of replication is ideal. We had to seek out answers online to get the information we needed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage and processing.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly in terms of maintenance and configuration. It's also possible to connect the solution to other storage management solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer more support in our region. It's also quite expensive.

Since we can't get support, it would be helpful if there was more documentation online to help users navigate the solution when they run into issues or have questions.

I've been using the solution for between three and five years.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had any issues with it.

We don't have access to technical support in our region.

Previously we used IBM systems. We switched to Hitachi about 20 years ago.

The initial setup was difficult, as we don't have access to assistance. We had some issues around configuration. We needed to know things like what kind of raid is the best, or what kind of replication is ideal. We had to seek out answers online to get the information we needed.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Solutions Consultant at Revera Limited
A high-performance solution that provides DR and resiliency, but the management interface needs improvement
  • "The hybrid array provides scaleable, predictable, high performance with no capacity constraints."
  • "Hitachi Vantara has invested heavily in improving their management interface, however, they still have a way to go to catch up with many of their competitors."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily within our large IaaS platform for All-Purpose Storage, Tiered Storage, Storage Replication, and non-disruptive Data Mobility between storage tiers. It is an ideal device for secure multi-tenanting and those hosting many clients.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has given us a huge improvement to DR, resiliency, and business continuity.

The G-Series platform has proven to be our platform of choice for providing our clients with reliable IaaS and cloud services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are its Data Mobility and High-performance flash capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The Management Interface needs to be improved. Hitachi Vantara has invested heavily in improving their management interface, however, they still have a way to go to catch up with many of their competitors.

We have been using this solution for five years.

The G-Series is an extremely stable platform, a chief criterion for deploying it in our IaaS and cloud services platforms.

Scalability is one of the best in the industry. The G-Series is soon to be superseded by Hitachi's next generation of enterprise storage, which I'm confident will continue the Hitachi tradition of extreme scalability with virtually unbreakable reliability.

Because our own engineers have a high skill base and accreditation on the G-Series, it is seldom that we have to seek vendor support or request a call out. Whenever we do, we experience professional and skilled levels of support.

We have used Hitachi high-end storage products for many of the past fifteen years as the primary storage resource for our enterprise clients. About ten years ago, we were struggling with Hitachi's local sales force not being proactive/value-added enough, so we made the decision to introduce another storage vendor (NetApp) into our infrastructure. The two vendors continue to coexist and compete today in a positive way.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. The G-Series was an evolution of our previous enterprise storage platform, and its deployment was largely problem-free, non-disruptive, and transparent to our clients.

The vendor team assisted our in-house team with the deployment. They were highly experienced and skilled personnel.

Our main issue with the Hitachi G-Series is what we consider to be an archaic software licensing scheme and high maintenance costs. It makes little sense in this era to continue to use capacity-sensitive licensing and costs that might have been acceptable in the 1990s but not now.

Ten years ago we evaluated Hitachi, NetApp, EMC, and IBM high-end storage. Hitachi and NetApp won.

Download our free Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, and more!
Updated: November 2022